Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In spite of latest polls Trump is a 56% chance on Betfair to retain Florida – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited November 2020

TimT said:

Mal557 said:

🚨 EARLY VOTING HAS ENDED 🚨

🌴FLORIDA 🌴

8,923,563 votes cast

Democratic: 3,494,362 (39.2%)
    Republican: 3,388,839 (38.0%)
    NPA/Other: 2,040,362 (22.9%)

Dem margin 105,523

*Miami/Sarasota data coming tomorrow morning

Any idea what the Other split is?

I thought most Others were Republicans or does that very state by state?

From Politico: "Most polls show Biden winning independents, who account for about a quarter of likely voters. Generally, the party that turns out its base and wins independents carries Florida."
    Most polls? So some say Trump is winning them?
    If Trump is winning with independents in Florida and registered voters go with their parties (or cross vote in equal numbers) then Trump wins Florida. And by a bigger margin than he beat Hillary, I think

But like everything else its a big if. Registered voters do not always go the way of the party they register with.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ross is not going to win Nat votes, he needs to get the Unionist vote out next year, that means hitting Sturgeon not Boris
    Does that mean...gulp...that he's doing it wrong?
    Scots will warm to the Unionist message once the facts are known whoever is UK PM

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-most-scots-would-reject-independence-after-considering-issues-2976093

And that is almost 6 weeks ago, too.
    The same facts apply in 6 years never mind 6 weeks
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    HYUFD said:

My final prediction Trump 269 Biden 269

That would be fun.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ross is not going to win Nat votes, he needs to get the Unionist vote out next year, that means hitting Sturgeon not Boris
    Scots will warm to the Unionist message once the facts are known whoever is UK PM

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-most-scots-would-reject-independence-after-considering-issues-2976093

https://twitter.com/BBCDouglasF/status/1323320059461279746

This UNionist message isn't getting through - it is more that there doesn't seem to be one. And that is after months of asking.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Just to make it clear again as I no people here love to bring up my record, I am not making a prediction.

I am sure whoever gets it wrong will have their record brought up constantly won't they? That would be fair, bollocks they will though

'Couldn't make a prediction in a one horse race that CHB!' You may not be able to win this game.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And that is almost 6 weeks ago, too.
    The same facts apply in 6 years never mind 6 weeks
    Don't be absurd. No one has the faintest idea what is going to happen a generation from now.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,660
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be fun.
    You can get 34/1 for that scenario with Betfair Sports.

https://www.betfair.com/sport/politics/2020-us-presidential-election/10393583/electoral-college-vote-tie-special/924.237362868
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Value bet on that.
  • Options

I detest people like David Allen Green.

Yes, he's 'right': Magna Carta wasn't written in English, and nor is article 61 relevant or still valid, but it's this endless sneering at totems of British and English history that grates with me.

People like him want to attack the keystone events, myths and stories on which this nation is built - which is important to all nations - because he sees it as an obstacle to his politics.
    Lol. You're the one bringing politics into this. Stop getting wound up over nothing for goodness sake.
    Maybe he should relax and go boil some p*ss? That usually seems to work .....
  • Options

Press excluded from Texas Harris County case

Houston Chronicle reporter Zach Despart (zachdespart on twitter) has been allowed in and is livetweeting the arguments.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Just to make it clear again as I no people here love to bring up my record, I am not making a prediction.

I am sure whoever gets it wrong will have their record brought up constantly won't they? That would be fair, bollocks they will though

'Couldn't make a prediction in a one horse race that CHB!' You may not be able to win this game.
    Ah stop horsing around
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Yes, he's 'right': Magna Carta wasn't written in English, and nor is article 61 relevant or still valid, but it's this endless sneering at totems of British and English history that grates with me.

People like him want to attack the keystone events, myths and stories on which this nation is built - which is important to all nations - because he sees it as an obstacle to his politics.
    Lol. You're the one bringing politics into this. Stop getting wound up over nothing for goodness sake.
    If you read his tweets you'll see he mocks 'patriots' and throws in 'olde Englishe mythe making' into it as well. If you don't think that's political then that's because you already agree with him, and are therefore blind to it.

He's technically ''right, but that's besides the point: generations of Englishmen (and many others around the world) have taken inspiration from a handful of the principles first articulated in it to advance the cause of individual liberty over the last 800 years, and used it as a rallying call for action. It even influenced the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.

That's why it's important.
    Is he saying it isn't important?

If the foundations of our nation are so weak that they cannot survive knowing the "truth" behind Magna Carta then it was never going to survive anyway.

Take Churchill, you can simultaneously believe he was a dick of the highest order when judged against today's standards but also an important national hero representing the nation's struggle against fascism.

Likewise Magna Carta can simultaneously be unimportant in reality and yet very important historically.
  • Options

I'm going for the landslide. Howay Sleepy Joe.

Is New Orleans the only place in red in your map that would attract significant number of international tourists? The rest of the world is very disconnected to Trumpian USA.
    Dollywood is worth a visit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited November 2020
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be fun.
    Biden to pick up Arizona and Wisconsin and Michigan and hold the Hillary states, Trump to hold all his other 2016 states, Florida result not known for days if not weeks but Trump to scrape home in the Sunshine state thanks to winning more Cuban Americans, despite Seniors moving away from him
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    MORE: Judge Hanen upset timing of the case. "Why am I just getting this case?"
    @Jennifer_Hiller
    is a hero for getting in the courtroom
  • Options

If you read his tweets you'll see he mocks 'patriots' and throws in 'olde Englishe mythe making' into it as well. If you don't think that's political then that's because you already agree with him, and are therefore blind to it.

He's technically ''right, but that's besides the point: generations of Englishmen (and many others around the world) have taken inspiration from a handful of the principles first articulated in it to advance the cause of individual liberty over the last 800 years, and used it as a rallying call for action. It even influenced the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.

If the foundations of our nation are so weak that they cannot survive knowing the "truth" behind Magna Carta then it was never going to survive anyway.

Take Churchill, you can simultaneously believe he was a dick of the highest order when judged against today's standards but also an important national hero representing the nation's struggle against fascism.

Likewise Magna Carta can simultaneously be unimportant in reality and yet very important historically.
    The "truth" behind Magna Carta isn't the issue.

It'd be fine if he caveated it like you say, but he doesn't. He just sneers.

That just fans the flames.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be fun.
    You can get 34/1 for that scenario with Betfair Sports.

https://www.betfair.com/sport/politics/2020-us-presidential-election/10393583/electoral-college-vote-tie-special/924.237362868
    Ladbrokes offer 66/1
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be fun.
    Biden to pick up Arizona and Wisconsin and Michigan and hold the Hillary states, Trump to hold all his other 2016 states, Florida result not known for days if not weeks
    So if Biden does win you can say well I didnt say Trump would get more EVs....and if Trump does get more EVs you can still say, I said he'd win. Clever :)
  • Options
    I suspect it's because Trump has dodged every bullet fired at him over the past four years. Betterrs may feel that Trump will somehow again slip through when it looks as though he's nailed.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

🌴FLORIDA 🌴

8,923,563 votes cast

Dem margin 105,523

Unless I'm reading this wrong doesn't that mean that Biden has already passed Clinton's 2016 total without Miami!

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Is New Orleans the only place in red in your map that would attract significant number of international tourists? The rest of the world is very disconnected to Trumpian USA.
    Dollywood is worth a visit.
    Utah has spectacular national parks. Wyoming and Idaho are breathtakingly beautiful in places.
  • Options
    Hanen says plaintiffs have an uphill road and need to convince him that Harris County had an "evil motive" in allowing drive-through voting for Texas voters
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    TimT said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Mal557 said:

rkrkrk said:

If you like 538's model... then the states with the biggest discrepancy between the odds and 538's predictions are:
    FL, PA and OH (I think - some states I didn't check, someone better at coding than me could do this automatically I'm sure).

FL: 538 says 68% chance vs. betfair on 44%.
    PA: 538 says 87% chance vs. betfair on 65%.
    OH: 538 says 49% chance vs. betfair on 31%.

To my mind, that makes Florida and PA excellent value.

I have to say, and despite respecting 538 greatly, I have to say the Betfair % look closer to me for sure for FL and PA
    I've been trying to work out what the best value bet is at the moment. My only position is a £10 buy of Biden ECVs at 285 which I'm very happy with. Wish I'd risked a bigger stake.

I think the best value bet is probably Biden to be President.

Biden POTUS: 538 says 90% vs betfair on 66%

The relative value in backing Biden to be POTUS doesn't look as good as backing Biden to win Florida say. But the probability of the bet landing is, of course, significantly more likely.

The thing is with a decent position already on Biden I'm reluctant to stump up a big stake at short odds to make the additional bet worth winning. But Biden to be POTUS at current odds does look huge value.

Decisions, decisions ......
    stjohn - I'm with Richard Nabavi and the Hat Tipper kinabulu in backing Trump to secure >70 million votes, helped no doubt by the fine weather forecast. I'm further encouraged by Jack_W's forecast of there being a total of 160 million + votes cast. Half an hour ago Betfair's back price was 1.75 decimal, but I asked for and obtained 1.80 decimal, i.e. 4/5 less 5% commission. A likely winner in my view, although you may have to wait a few weeks for your money. In typical fashion, Betfair probably won't pay out until every last vote has been officially certified, even if the 70 million total has been comfortably exceeded.
    Peter,

I think the previous highest total vote was 131 million in 2008. For Jack W to be correct in predicting 160 million + requires an increase in total votes of over 22% on the highest previous number. Now I know there has been an unprecedented amount of votes already cast. Over 90 million I think. But who wouldn't vote early given the Covid crisis? I'm far from sure that an additional 30 million votes, over and above the previous record, will be cast, counted and allowed in this election. So I'm not tempted to back Trump securing over 70 million votes as odds on.
    136,669,276 votes were cast in 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election#Electoral_results

160M represents a 17.6% increase on 2016 turnout.

In 2016, there were 157.6 million RV in the US (Pew Research). Given both population increases and registration drives by both major parties and the BLM movement, I'd expect that number to be up considerably. So 160M would be really high as a % of RV, but certainly possible.
    What sort of difference do you think BLM will make and to which party?
  • Options
    538 makes it a 0.43% probability, so something over 200/1
  • Options

I suspect it's because Trump has dodged every bullet fired at him over the past four years. Betterrs may feel that Trump will somehow again slip through when it looks as though he's nailed.

Welcome aboard. You picked a hell of a week to make a first post :D:D

Hopefully tomorrow is Trump defenestration day!
  • Options
    lockhimup said:

Mal557 said:

🌴FLORIDA 🌴

8,923,563 votes cast

Dem margin 105,523

Unless I'm reading this wrong doesn't that mean that Biden has already passed Clinton's 2016 total without Miami!

That's based upon n what party the voter is registered as. Doesn't mean they voted for that party, votes, like chickens, haven't been counted yet!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Do you understand why Republicans don't trust the mail in PA now?
    No.
    The Trump fanboys have absolutely no shame. It's embarrassing
  • Options

Hanen says plaintiffs have an uphill road and need to convince him that Harris County had an "evil motive" in allowing drive-through voting for Texas voters

GOP win then. Making it easier for Dems to vote sounds evil to me.
  • Options

If your national story is based on a load of old bollocks then maybe you need a new national story.
    Anyway, he's not sneering at Magna Carter, he's pointing out the absurdities generated by people who talk about it without knowing anything about it, which seems reasonable.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TimT said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

Mal557 said:

rkrkrk said:

If you like 538's model... then the states with the biggest discrepancy between the odds and 538's predictions are:
    FL, PA and OH (I think - some states I didn't check, someone better at coding than me could do this automatically I'm sure).

FL: 538 says 68% chance vs. betfair on 44%.
    PA: 538 says 87% chance vs. betfair on 65%.
    OH: 538 says 49% chance vs. betfair on 31%.

To my mind, that makes Florida and PA excellent value.

I have to say, and despite respecting 538 greatly, I have to say the Betfair % look closer to me for sure for FL and PA
    I've been trying to work out what the best value bet is at the moment. My only position is a £10 buy of Biden ECVs at 285 which I'm very happy with. Wish I'd risked a bigger stake.

I think the best value bet is probably Biden to be President.

Biden POTUS: 538 says 90% vs betfair on 66%

The relative value in backing Biden to be POTUS doesn't look as good as backing Biden to win Florida say. But the probability of the bet landing is, of course, significantly more likely.

The thing is with a decent position already on Biden I'm reluctant to stump up a big stake at short odds to make the additional bet worth winning. But Biden to be POTUS at current odds does look huge value.

Decisions, decisions ......
    stjohn - I'm with Richard Nabavi and the Hat Tipper kinabulu in backing Trump to secure >70 million votes, helped no doubt by the fine weather forecast. I'm further encouraged by Jack_W's forecast of there being a total of 160 million + votes cast. Half an hour ago Betfair's back price was 1.75 decimal, but I asked for and obtained 1.80 decimal, i.e. 4/5 less 5% commission. A likely winner in my view, although you may have to wait a few weeks for your money. In typical fashion, Betfair probably won't pay out until every last vote has been officially certified, even if the 70 million total has been comfortably exceeded.
    Peter,

I think the previous highest total vote was 131 million in 2008. For Jack W to be correct in predicting 160 million + requires an increase in total votes of over 22% on the highest previous number. Now I know there has been an unprecedented amount of votes already cast. Over 90 million I think. But who wouldn't vote early given the Covid crisis? I'm far from sure that an additional 30 million votes, over and above the previous record, will be cast, counted and allowed in this election. So I'm not tempted to back Trump securing over 70 million votes as odds on.
    136,669,276 votes were cast in 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election#Electoral_results

160M represents a 17.6% increase on 2016 turnout.

In 2016, there were 157.6 million RV in the US (Pew Research). Given both population increases and registration drives by both major parties and the BLM movement, I'd expect that number to be up considerably. So 160M would be really high as a % of RV, but certainly possible.
    What sort of difference do you think BLM will make and to which party?
    Their approach is that nothing will change if blacks rely on either major party to change things on their behalf, and so they need to get their own representatives elected, starting at the local level, and to do that they need to get their communities to register and vote.

It is hard to see this approach succeeding at the local level without benefiting Democrats up the ticket, and particularly at the top of the ticket.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Ah stop horsing around
    Ah well PB is at its best when there's a degree of teasing. We all post entirely seriously (no, really I do!), but we don't get it right, and many of us don't even get it right at the time.
  • Options

538 makes it a 0.43% probability, so something over 200/1
    This is 2020 after all.
  • Options

I have been out most of the day I would be grateful if any PB ers can help

1. Is there a definitive site that tells us the total Registered to vote?

Working backwards from recent articles on CNN i suspect its about 210m can anyone confirm.

Thanks in advance

http://www.electproject.org/Election-Project-Blog/2020generalelectionvepandvapestimates

Voting-Eligible population: 239m (239,247,182)
    Thanks for the response we are trying to find how many of the 239m are actually registered though.

I dont believe 239m is the registered total but cant find that

There's this website although I don't know how reliable it is.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/number-of-registered-voters-by-state

It doesn't include D.C. but it had 478,688 registered voters in 2016.

Total would therefore be about 153.15 million.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1323324598121861121

So Trump will be declared the winner as the pandemic was complicit in the voting fraud!
  • Options

What is on fire here?
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431

While the people he is ridiculing are indeed ridiculous, I agree with the point you're making too. He's just taking cheap shots which serve no purpose except self-gratification, and contribute to the drip-drip alienation of not-yet-ridiculous people on the other side of the cultural divide.
  • Options

If your national story is based on a load of old bollocks then maybe you need a new national story.
    Anyway, he's not sneering at Magna Carter, he's pointing out the absurdities generated by people who talk about it without knowing anything about it, which seems reasonable.
    Its curious its fine to sneer at an environmentalist actor who takes an unnecessary flight, or a young footballer pointing out issues around child poverty, but not fine to sneer at someone spreading dangerous misinformation that is clearly bollocks and could risk anyone following the advice getting a hefty fine.
  • Options

Welcome aboard. You picked a hell of a week to make a first post :D:D

Hopefully tomorrow is Trump defenestration day!
    He's not been as bad as I anticipated though. I really worry about Biden.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

While the people he is ridiculing are indeed ridiculous, I agree with the point you're making too. He's just taking cheap shots which serve no purpose except self-gratification, and contribute to the drip-drip alienation of not-yet-ridiculous people on the other side of the cultural divide.
    Snowflakes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Press excluded from Texas Harris County case

Wow.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Ah stop horsing around
    Ah well PB is at its best when there's a degree of teasing. We all post entirely seriously (no, really I do!), but we don't get it right, and many of us don't even get it right at the time.
    You completely missed my pun and joke then :(
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1323324598121861121

So Trump will be declared the winner as the pandemic was complicit in the voting fraud!

Judge says its more than Hollins The Commissioners Court approved it (drive thru voting).”
  • Options

Its curious its fine to sneer at an environmentalist actor who takes an unnecessary flight, or a young footballer pointing out issues around child poverty, but not fine to sneer at someone spreading dangerous misinformation that is clearly bollocks and could risk anyone following the advice getting a hefty fine.
    Sneering is another of those irregular verbs that seem to crop up with remarkable regularity here.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020

Prediction? I would prefer Biden to win and I hope he does. Will he win? I have no idea because the American polling systems seem to be like their legal system and tax system - a mix of patchwork quilts that vary so wildly that you wonder if the USA is a country at all.

So, Biden please, but if the Marmalade Monster gets another 4 years then the best thing about the US will be the 3,000 miles of ocean between us and them.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Pulpstar said:

Florida finding from Scott Rasmussen
    11% of Republicans who have already voted cast their ballots for Biden...
    2% Democrat crossover.

I am betting that the seniors will do for Trump in Florida this year. Many of the oldies will go for Biden because of Trump's appalling attitude to Covid. Many of these voters will, I suspect, still be actually be registered as Republicans.
  • Options
    Business worried about ‘bunker’ mentality in 10 Downing Street

Executives increasingly worried about disconnect between Boris Johnson and industry as coronavirus lockdown looms

https://www.ft.com/content/ae8d8986-7265-4f2b-b121-5f93124f824c?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    edited November 2020

twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1323256065228787718

This is genius

Only if anyone is paying attention, which I suspect they are not.
  • Options

Executives increasingly worried about disconnect between Boris Johnson and industry as coronavirus lockdown looms

https://www.ft.com/content/ae8d8986-7265-4f2b-b121-5f93124f824c?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They are only worrying about this now? How long ago did he say "F*** business"?
  • Options
    Woodfill: “The commissioners court cannot amend the election code.”
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I think only about two-thirds of US adults are registered to vote, which would be about 160 million out of 240 million adults. So anyone predicting 160 million votes in the election is basically forecasting a 100% turnout of registered voters.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

Florida finding from Scott Rasmussen
    11% of Republicans who have already voted cast their ballots for Biden...
    2% Democrat crossover.

I am betting that the seniors will do for Trump in Florida this year. Many of the oldies will go for Biden because of Trump's appalling attitude to Covid. Many of these voters will, I suspect, still be actually be registered as Republicans.
    Agreed, its a very divided country and hard to move significant numbers of voters across the aisle which is why the parties have resorted to simply pushing their turnout and ignoring the middle over the last decade. Covid and the govts handling is a big enough event to have changed that - if even 3-4% of republicans switch because of it thats plenty for Biden. Those numbers suggest its going to be quite a bit more than that.
  • Options

kicorse said:

Snowflakes.
    Those snowflakes had votes in the EU referendum, for example. I've never felt the need to rub people's face in the fact that I have a PhD and they left school at 18, partly because I don't think it makes me better than them.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think only about two-thirds of US adults are registered to vote, which would be about 160 million out of 240 million adults. So anyone predicting 160 million votes in the election is basically forecasting a 100% turnout of registered voters.

Which would mean that the turnout is over 60% already, which is patently ridiculous, so 160m is obviously too low
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Andy_JS said:

Although you can register on the day in some places.
  • Options

Welcome. Great first post.
  • Options

Especially if they were then planning on actually counting them after the President has claimed victory.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited November 2020

Jellystone, Utah deserts (Zion etc)?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I just want to comment on *why* we've not seen vaccine efficacy news yet, and why that's probably good news.

These massive trials are blinded. They give the vaccine to 10,000 people and a placebo to 10,000 people. This means 20,000 people have recieved either the vaccine or the placebo.

The participants are then monitored. Once a certain number (probably around 50) have gotten CV19, then the trial is unblinded for those 50. How many got the vaccine and how many the placebo.

If it's 25/25, then the vaccine is a clear failure (although it might still result in far more asymptomatic or low intensity infections, and therefore be very useful). If it's 50/0, then it's a massive success.

None of the trials has yet gotten the required number of CV19 cases. This is partly because the big trials are in the Southern hemisphere and as it warms up and people spend more time outdoors, the numbers of cases in Brazil and South Africa have come down sharply.

But it also suggests that people with the vaccine are not getting sick. The more time it takes to get to 50 cases, the more likely it is that the vaccine is working.

Plus it presumably also means that they are not seeing evidence of nasty side-effects.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be fun.
    Biden to pick up Arizona and Wisconsin and Michigan and hold the Hillary states, Trump to hold all his other 2016 states, Florida result not known for days if not weeks but Trump to scrape home in the Sunshine state thanks to winning more Cuban Americans, despite Seniors moving away from him
    If your scenario happens, don't you think Biden would pick up either (or both) the single competitive Congressional districts in ME and NE - giving him the win by 270-268 or 271-267?

My view is that this is Biden's best backdoor route of still winning even if he loses PA.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

Precisely. They set each other off, and then their fan-clubs row in behind them. If it gets high-profile then (eventually) those in the middle feel pressure to take one side or another.

It doesn't do anyone any good. We all have a responsibility for how we conduct debate.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2020
    lockhimup said:

Mal557 said:

🌴FLORIDA 🌴

8,923,563 votes cast

Dem margin 105,523

Well, firstly early voting in Florida hasn't technically ended yet as some other counties are still voting today.

And the note about Miami and Sarasota is just today's figures, not all early voting, so it's not going to make much difference.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I just want to comment on *why* we've not seen vaccine efficacy news yet, and why that's probably good news.

These massive trials are blinded. They give the vaccine to 10,000 people and a placebo to 10,000 people. This means 20,000 people have recieved either the vaccine or the placebo.

The participants are then monitored. Once a certain number (probably around 50) have gotten CV19, then the trial is unblinded for those 50. How many got the vaccine and how many the placebo.

If it's 25/25, then the vaccine is a clear failure (although it might still result in far more asymptomatic or low intensity infections, and therefore be very useful). If it's 50/0, then it's a massive success.

None of the trials has yet gotten the required number of CV19 cases. This is partly because the big trials are in the Southern hemisphere and as it warms up and people spend more time outdoors, the numbers of cases in Brazil and South Africa have come down sharply.

But it also suggests that people with the vaccine are not getting sick. The more time it takes to get to 50 cases, the more likely it is that the vaccine is working.

Given what's at stake (and I get the ethics) why not call for volunteers to take a shot of the virus and give them a million quid each for it?

It's better than bankrupting the West.
  • Options

What is on fire here?
    Political divisions over culture, identity and history.
  • Options
    Look at the countries that acted quickly and decisively. are they any better off than us?

They largely have the same numbers we do. Some of them have worse numbers.

• Options
    I am a tad suspicious of todays reported case number. Not only well down, but this despite Scotland been as basically same level as have been for a while and Wales recorded the 2nd highest ever daily number of cases.
  • Options

Jellystone, Utah deserts (Zion etc)?
    Graceland (Memphis), Nashville ?
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

@JACK_W - Do you have an official prediction?

Yes. I'm just running some more numbers. Should be out by 7:30pm. :smile:
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Election Project has Florida at 8,974k - higher than figure posted on here a few mins ago.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html
  • Options

What is on fire here?
    People are allowed to disagree about culture, identity and history. It's healthy to debate things. It's unhealthy to catastrophise things.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Given what's at stake (and I get the ethics) why not call for volunteers to take a shot of the virus and give them a million quid each for it?

It's better than bankrupting the West.
    They are starting in January.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kicorse said:

kicorse said:

Snowflakes.
    Those snowflakes had votes in the EU referendum, for example. I've never felt the need to rub people's face in the fact that I have a PhD and they left school at 18, partly because I don't think it makes me better than them.
    This is the guy who predicted the outcome of the Corbyn NEC case in 2016 on the basis that he was a lawyer specialising in this area, and got it wrong, and deleted the tweet. As for that "not even written in English" point it would be great to present him with a chunk of the original text and get him to translate it on the fly. What a pillock.
  • Options

I am a tad suspicious of todays reported case number. Not only well down, but this despite Scotland been as basically same level as have been for a while and Wales recorded the 2nd highest ever daily number of cases.

Isn't it just the weekend effect?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

That is simply wrong. I have checked the RV for these states and run that number against the VEP numbers from US Elections Project. Here are the RVs as a % of VEP by state. Quite shocking in a couple of examples and a clear indicator of the success of various voter registration drives. OR, US Election Project's numbers are wrong.

Alaska 109%
    Arizona 83%
    Florida 90%
    Georgia 95%
    Iowa 95%
    Michigan 103%
    Nevada 92%
    New Hampshire 93%
    North Carolina 94%
    Ohio 91%
    Pennsylvania 93%
    Texas 90%
    Wisconsin 82%
  • Options

That FT article is horrible for Johnson. Horrible.

• Options

Are vehicle owners in Texas more likely to be Rep or Dem?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

That is simply wrong. I have checked the RV for these states and run that number against the VEP numbers from US Elections Project. Here are the RVs as a % of VEP by state. Quite shocking in a couple of examples and a clear indicator of the success of various voter registration drives. OR, US Election Project's numbers are wrong.

Alaska 109%
    Arizona 83%
    Florida 90%
    Georgia 95%
    Iowa 95%
    Michigan 103%
    Nevada 92%
    New Hampshire 93%
    North Carolina 94%
    Ohio 91%
    Pennsylvania 93%
    Texas 90%
    Wisconsin 82%
    CNN today said 95.3m is 45% of registered voters

So 211 million

Just cant find where this is actually shown
  • Options
    kicorse said:

kicorse said:

Snowflakes.
    I know that the Brexit referendum turned into a proxy vote on a load of other stuff but I don't remember anyone saying they voted out because David Allen Green laughed at them for calling it The Magna Carter.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

Alaska 109%
    Arizona 83%
    Florida 90%
    Georgia 95%
    Iowa 95%
    Michigan 103%
    Nevada 92%
    New Hampshire 93%
    North Carolina 94%
    Ohio 91%
    Pennsylvania 93%
    Texas 90%
    Wisconsin 82%
    Based on this, if 80+% of RVs turn out to vote, which is about the historic norm for most states, then 0.8*0.9 =72% turnout of VEP is possible, i.e. 170M+
  • Options

lockhimup said:

Mal557 said:

🌴FLORIDA 🌴

8,923,563 votes cast

Dem margin 105,523

Well, firstly early voting in Florida hasn't technically ended yet as some other counties are still voting today.

And the note about Miami and Sarasota is just today's figures, not all early voting, so it's not going to make much difference.
    Yes sorry the link i took this from i should have clarified, the Miami figures for just today have not been updated, so a few counties to add todays. It ends today and those are the figures before that, apologies
  • Options

That FT article is horrible for Johnson. Horrible.

He's PM though - and PM of the UK - perhaps the best job in the world. I guess he's not that worried about the FT.
  • Options

TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

Alaska 109%
    Arizona 83%
    Florida 90%
    Georgia 95%
    Iowa 95%
    Michigan 103%
    Nevada 92%
    New Hampshire 93%
    North Carolina 94%
    Ohio 91%
    Pennsylvania 93%
    Texas 90%
    Wisconsin 82%

So 211 million

They must have tallied if from States' registration web sites.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

Alaska 109%
    Arizona 83%
    Florida 90%
    Georgia 95%
    Iowa 95%
    Michigan 103%
    Nevada 92%
    New Hampshire 93%
    North Carolina 94%
    Ohio 91%
    Pennsylvania 93%
    Texas 90%
    Wisconsin 82%

So 211 million

They must have tallied if from States' registration web sites, as I did for the limited number of states above.
  • Options

The Magna Carta is incredibly important and is unquestionably one of the foundation stones of individual liberty in this country. However, those who proclaim its importance while simultaneously supporting efforts to emasculate an independent judiciary, which is the only guarantor of individual liberty we have, not only deserve mockery but also deep scorn.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

ping said:

Why is that ping? I do remember you being hyperactive last time.

Are you planning a late splurge of bets tonight/tomorrow based on the final opinion polls, or maybe you're simply bored this time?

Evening Peter.

Like Mike, I didn’t really rate joe early on - I still don’t - although his boringness is probably an asset against trump.

In terms of betting, my main regret is not piling on biden4potus at evens a few weeks ago at the height of the Hunter Biden laptop nonsense. Those were great odds.

Do you see any standout value bets right now?
    Ping - thanks for getting back. TBH I think most of the value has already gone, where some remains it tends to be in the peripheral markets such as turnout (eg Trump to secure >70 million votes at circa 1.8 with BetfairEx referred to by me and others in this thread). For those with the cajones, backing Biden on the spreads at 315 ECVs looks pretty fair value if you're one of the majority who reckon his downside is somehere around 285 ECVs, (i.e. -30) compared with an upside of say 360 ECVs (i.e. +45) or potentially even more were he to win the likes of Texas, which is seriously unlikely but by no means impossible.
    On the "fastest finger first" principle I'm sure there's money to be made for those smart enough to make betting decisions on the back of the very early election results and hopefully there will be some discussion on PB.com along these lines tomorrow. I'll be surprised if rcs1000, etc doesn't come up with a few ideas. You are probably aware that a zoom facility is being organised by Barnesian, although things seem to have become rather quiet on that front.
    OGH will be publishing the link at midnight tomorrow.
  • Options
    Great bet from kinabulu, followed up this afternoon by Richard Nabavi for Trump to secure >70million votes at odds of 1.81 with BetfairEx has now shortened to 1.41.
    Real value like this doesn't last long once it is outed on PB.com. Thanks to the two gents concerned for highlighting it.
  • Options
    Elizabeth Findell
    @efindell
    ·
    9m
    “Some of the people that I voted for are actually the people trying to take away my vote and if I’m given the chance to cast a provisional ballot tomorrow, I won’t make that mistake again"
    -- FireFire from a Harris County voter involved in the drive-thru case
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kicorse said:

kicorse said:

Snowflakes.
    I know that the Brexit referendum turned into a proxy vote on a load of other stuff but I don't remember anyone saying they voted out because David Allen Green laughed at them for calling it The Magna Carter.
    So try to generalise a bit. You don't think an elite tendency to laugh at thick white English proles came in to it at all?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    edited November 2020

What is on fire here?
    People are allowed to disagree about culture, identity and history. It's healthy to debate things. It's unhealthy to catastrophise things.
    I agree, and - at the same time - it's important how we do it. And even then you need *some* common unifiers we can all agree upon - or at least a menu of a common inheritance that we can all draw upon - otherwise the nation, eventually, will break-up. I'd have thought the legacy of the concept of individual liberty being documented in 1215 (even if slightly mythical at the time it was written) would be one almost all of us could get behind? After all, individual liberty is a core hallmark of our system and it helped inform both the US constitution and UNCHR. It's been hugely influential in history.

Besides which, I have a good ear for how this will be "heard" by those receiving his message: it comes across as pompous, condescending and patronising, and an attack on English history and identity, which wouldn't be the case, say, if he was debating European identity. Even if they are dickish (the ones who got it wrong) they will have a large hinterland of reasonable people who will be pissed off by it.

All of which is odd because offline DAG is actually quite reasonable, and was an original eurosceptic who used to work for Bill Cash.

Maybe it's the corrosive effect of Twitter which encourages you to play to your gallery.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

Plus it presumably also means that they are not seeing evidence of nasty side-effects.
    Yes, there have been a remarkably small number of pauses: we've had the Brazilian guy who died of Covid (who'd got the placebo), the guy who was diagnosed with MS (who'd also had the placebo) and the spinal inflammation that resulted in a night in hospital (vaccine). And the reality is that the last might simply be a complete coincidence. If you give a vaccine to 20,000 people, some of them are going to get sick in the subsequent couple of months.
  • Options

The Magna Carta is incredibly important and is unquestionably one of the foundation stones of individual liberty in this country. However, those who proclaim its importance while simultaneously supporting efforts to emasculate an independent judiciary, which is the only guarantor of individual liberty we have, not only deserve mockery but also deep scorn.

I totally agree with you.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Yay! That's the way. Go with the macro feel not the micro technicals. You don't win the PV by 10 to 12 million and not sweep the EC.
  • Options

kicorse said:

kicorse said:

Snowflakes.
    (a) The people he's laughing at are probably lost causes anyway. It's more reasonable people who tick similar demographic boxes who we should be concerned about.

(b) Do you really think that well educated people pointing at laughing at people who expose their lack of education - and this is clearly an example of that - wasn't a factor in the referendum result?
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

@JACK_W - Do you have an official prediction?

Yes. I'm just running some more numbers. Should be out by 7:30pm. :smile:
    Can we expect your usual dee-dah drum roll countdown please?
  • Options
    Don't do drugs, this is what happens afterwards.

https://twitter.com/ianbrown/status/1323204141058035712
This discussion has been closed.