Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blimey, I was not expecting this – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited October 2020 in General
Blimey, I was not expecting this – politicalbetting.com

Keir Starmer’s spokesperson says the decision to suspend Corbyn was made “in light of his comments made today and his failure to retract them subsequently"

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First, so this thread is visible to comment upon.
  • Options
    Well done Starmer for doing the right thing.

Good riddance to Corbyn. Vile antisemite and he should have responded to today by being apologetic and showing regret rather than pretending it was all a political witchhunt.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited October 2020
    Much better from Starmer, real leadership shown at last.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    BLIMEY, I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS
    I thought this was going to be about the Biden + 9 Texas poll.
  • Options
    5....4...3...2...1....twitter-verse implosion.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Perhaps he will join the Greens and take his supporters with him?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    I thought it was Starmer resigning for knocking over a cyclist and heading off before he could be breathalised.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Or BLM Party....their policies are right up his street and already been some allegations of antisemitism among the leadership.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm saving that for later, once I've got my betting positions sorted we've digested the Corbyn news.

Honestly, with that Texas poll and this other poll, this is my view

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1321797065253466113
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Cheerio Corbyn :lol:
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Feck off Corbyn, good riddance
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Starmer intends to lead an electable party. The big threat is to Boris and his friends. SKS is not only a decent person but can also count. He needs Tories and LDs to vote Labour. He intends to make that possible. This is Clause 4 stuff.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Mega respect to Starmer.

All of you who have been doubting him - this is what leadership looks like.

(No, Johnson kicking everyone out in a fit of pique because they quite rightly told him his deal was worse than May’s and would be calamitous isn’t comparable.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Well done SKS - as noted at the time he’s following due process and the suspension comes from Corbyn’s response to the report, not the report itself. Malevolent old thickie...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    BTW - I hope those posters who kept downplaying the issues Labour had with anti semitism are hanging their heads in shame today
  • Options
    FPT

kinabalu said:

Trump cut to 10% on 538 but 2.86 on Betfair. Has there ever been such a disconnect between evidence and odds on a high profile betting market?

Yes.

One Man started the 1996 Gold Cup as the 11-8 favourite but finished sixth behind Imperial Call. Absolutely everybody who knew anything about steeplechasing knew the horse simply could not run at racing speed beyond three miles. The GC is run over a stiff 3m 2f, so it had next to zero chance.

It was the most extreme example I have ever encountered of the odds being wrong, but the 2020 US Presidential election is running it close.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Or BLM Party....their policies are right up his street and already been some allegations of antisemitism among the leadership.
    https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1321397398002786304
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020
    Just a word of caution, Corbyn isn't out yet. He is suspended pending investigation. Labour Party under the old management managed to suspend lots of people only for when the world was busy with other things that those people were allowed to return.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I must be psychic, I just went to M&S on my lunch break and bought a bag (of popcorn, not toilet paper).
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

Need to find out more about the pollster
  • Options
    FPT
    Pulpstar said:

Two big outlier polls recently, Wisconsin + 17 / Texas + 9 Biden. I know the sampling WILL be wrong but it's difficult to generate polls like that even as outliers - particularly the Wisconsin one if the true state of the race is anywhere near close.

Indeed, we're either headed for either a

i) Biden (landslide) victory
    ii) The biggest polling disaster in history
    iii) Electoral chicanery aided and abetted by the GOP across the states and in SCOTUS handing Trump a second term.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Excellent news - very interesting to see the reaction of his MP supporters now. I remain a Tory because I think Starmer's politics are too left-wing but the Labour party will be boosted by this action and I'm not clear that a Johnson led party will be enough.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    felix said:

Excellent news - very interesting to see the reaction of his MP supporters now. I remain a Tory because I think Starmer's politics are too left-wing but the Labour party will be boosted by this action and I'm not clear that a Johnson led party will be enough.

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1321804286016323585
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    This surprises me, I must admit. There is the benefit of showing that "Under New Leadership" is no empty slogan. Against this is the risk of internal warfare in the party. I would have said the potential damage is greater than the benefit but it looks like Starmer disagrees. Let's see how the Left react.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909

Pulpstar said:

I'm saving that for later, once I've got my betting positions sorted we've digested the Corbyn news.

Honestly, with that Texas poll and this other poll, this is my view

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1321797065253466113
    Really and truly the TX poll is a turkey – ignore. Massive DEM and BA overpoll.

But, your point about the graphs is a very fair one!
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    "I suspect Corbyn and his supporters will not be go quietly." , Now thats what I call a very safe bet
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Look at the crosstabs and the amount of registered Dems they found ;)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Good riddance to Corbyn. Vile antisemite and he should have responded to today by being apologetic and showing regret rather than pretending it was all a political witchhunt.

Starmer has fluked his way into playing a blinder here.

He initially defends Corbyn shoring up the Corbynite base for him. Corbyn makes a statement which forces Starmer to act makking him seem decisive.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Pulpstar said:

Look at the crosstabs and the amount of registered Dems they found ;)
    I wasn't quite sure from their documentation on whether it was a poll of Texas, as a whole, or a poll of Texas of those who have already voted.

If it's the latter, maybe it makes sense.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Jack_ W returns and we have a story ....

I cannot comment on speculation that Jezza and I have been ever seen together in a synagogue .... :smiley:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020
    Mal557 said:

"I suspect Corbyn and his supporters will not be go quietly." , Now thats what I call a very safe bet

Plenty of tweets...but lets see if anything else. I presume all the hard core nutter far leftists that were enabled by Jezza leadership will go off and join put their efforts into BLM and XR type organisations.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    We didn't even have to wait for SK
    Yes, it was a good day

Doo-doodal-a-doo-doo
    Doodal-a-doodal-doo
  • Options
    Further proof that Justice Kavanaugh is a cheap hack.

Kavanaugh tweaks voting opinion after Vermont official asks for correction

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/28/politics/vermont-kavanaugh-voting/index.html
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

This surprises me, I must admit. There is the benefit of showing that "Under New Leadership" is no empty slogan. Against this is the risk of internal warfare in the party. I would have said the potential damage is greater than the benefit but it looks like Starmer disagrees. Let's see how the Left react.

Unless you think a large proportion of Labour voters are antisemites I don't see why kicking out antisemites will damage Labour.

There are surely more anti-antisemites than there are antisemites?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It is the correct call regardless. Otherwise it will bubble away for another decade. The message is clear to the rest of the party, get behind the party line if you can, shut up about it or leave/be kicked out if you cant.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JACK_W said:

Jack_ W returns and we have a story ....

I cannot comment on speculation that Jezza and I have been ever seen together in a synagogue .... :smiley:

Great to see you back Jack.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    kinabalu said:

I did have a feeling that Starmer was giving Corbyn the room to make his own downfall rather than giving him the satisfaction of using the EHRC report to do it, and it turns out that it only took Corbyn hours to give Starmer the reason he needed.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    kinabalu said:

He’s a f*cking anti-Semite and you would have ZERO tolerance for a clear and obvious racist in the Tory party. Your true colours are showing.
  • Options

Just a word of caution, Corbyn isn't out yet. He is suspended pending investigation. Labour Party under the old management managed to suspend lots of people only for when the world was busy with other things that those people were allowed to return.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is Corbyn will neither apologise for or recant his views, so though technically your right, IMO, he ain't coming back, its allotment time.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

kinabalu said:

I did have a feeling that Starmer was giving Corbyn the room to make his own downfall rather than giving him the satisfaction of using the EHRC report to do it, and it turns out that it only took Corbyn hours to give Starmer the reason he needed.
    Jezza shows again he isn't very smart.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    O/T

I know people don't usually discuss US presidential elections in these terms but Biden needs a 0.38% swing compared to 2016 to win the election. At the moment his average swing per state is 3.7%. The figure in the swing states is 3.4% if you define them as comprising AZ, FL, GA, IA, MI, OH, PA, TX, WI.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Haha marvellous of Keir Starmer. I love it!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile back to the US ....

kinabalu said:

Trump cut to 10% on 538 but 2.86 on Betfair. Has there ever been such a disconnect between evidence and odds on a high profile betting market?

Yes.

One Man started the 1996 Gold Cup as the 11-8 favourite but finished sixth behind Imperial Call. Absolutely everybody who knew anything about steeplechasing knew the horse simply could not run at racing speed beyond three miles. The GC is run over a stiff 3m 2f, so it had next to zero chance.

It was the most extreme example I have ever encountered of the odds being wrong, but the 2020 US Presidential election is running it close.

This is such a fantastic betting opportunity. Okay so the odds aren't always eye-popping but there's money to be made.

I'm sure Florida is going Democrat. But if you want a cracking bet it's 2/1 on Ossoff in Georgia.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    HYUFD said:

I really hope they don't join the Greens - who are trying to build a real, sensible political party, in many ways.

Maomentum should join the SWP. They deserve each other. Especially Komrade Delta and chums...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

He initially defends Corbyn shoring up the Corbynite base for him. Corbyn makes a statement which forces Starmer to act makking him seem decisive.
    'Fluked his way into playing a blinder' . so taking a leaf out of Boris's playbook.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Starmer kicks out the former leader of his party. Johnson can't even sack an aide. Only one of these men has shown real leadership.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    So what can Corbyn do now?

1) Hope he’s exonerated, and crawl back on Starmer’s terms.

2) Sit as an independent or resign his seat and take his humongous pension

3) Join another party that matches his views more closely.

It’s a no-brainer. He should do what he’s clearly always secretly wanted to do. Join a party that promotes high welfare dependency, nationalising rail, and is run by thick white posh boys like him who keep saying horrendous things they don’t realise are racist...

Time for him to fuck off and join the Tories.

(No, this is not meant entirely seriously.)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Oh my. This will be interesting.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It is a shite looking poll - various number look/feel wrong.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

kinabalu said:

Unless you think a large proportion of Labour voters are antisemites I don't see why kicking out antisemites will damage Labour.

There are surely more anti-antisemites than there are antisemites?
    The point, surely, is how many Labour voters (and MPs) worship the ground Corbyn walks on and won't accept that he's done any wrong. They now have another reason to hate Starmer (who - obviously - made the right call here).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

I know people don't usually discuss US presidential elections in these terms but Biden needs a 0.38% swing compared to 2016 to win the election. At the moment his average swing per state is 3.7%. The figure in the swing states is 3.4% if you define them as comprising AZ, FL, GA, IA, MI, OH, PA, TX, WI.

That's a fair point – and perhaps too rarely discussed.
  • Options

Starmer kicks out the former leader of his party. Johnson can't even sack an aide. Only one of these men has shown real leadership.

I mean, Johnson did sack half his party in the last Parliament.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

He’s a f*cking anti-Semite and you would have ZERO tolerance for a clear and obvious racist in the Tory party. Your true colours are showing.
    Part of the problem, though, is that racists are always clear and obvious in other parties. There will be a good many people, not least on this site, who will never recognise their own tribe's failings.
    Anybody celebrating the downfall of Corbyn as the end of something is wrong. We should be celebrating it as the beginning.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    ydoethur said:

Mega respect to Starmer.

(No, Johnson kicking everyone out in a fit of pique because they quite rightly told him his deal was worse than May’s and would be calamitous isn’t comparable.)

Bozo promising on national TV an independent investigation into his own party’s issues, then burying this as soon as he got the top job, doesn’t look so bright now.
  • Options

Nice try but somehow I don't think this can be turned into a positive Labour /negative Tory story!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you have the tables?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The 13% aren't going to take this well.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Good for Starmer. Turf a few more of the nutters out and we might start to get politics that actually work.

Now, let us hope that the Conservatives reject some of their swivel-eyed loons too, but I am not holding my breath on that one...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you have the tables?
    This one?

https://github.com/GetCitizenData/VoteByMail/blob/master/VoteByMail-Texas/Modeling/October/Texas VBM Toplines 10_23_20.pdf
  • Options

Haha marvellous of Keir Starmer. I love it!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile back to the US ....

kinabalu said:

Yes.

This is such a fantastic betting opportunity. Okay so the odds aren't always eye-popping but there's money to be made.

I'm sure Florida is going Democrat. But if you want a cracking bet it's 2/1 on Ossoff in Georgia.
    Yes, if I was wanting to gamble then Ossoff looks like the prime bet.
  • Options
    Corbyn’s mistake was in not appreciating that Starmer would be looking for his own Clause Four moment.
  • Options

I believe that Citizen Data are only polling people who have voted early.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    I wonder what it will mean for the next GE. I would have thought a lot of Labour Corbynistas would stay loyal to him and his cronies if they moved to BLM, Ind or Green and so it’s worse for them, but credit to Sir Keir for doing what he thought was the right thing despite that
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    I thought SKS was angry, calm and measured. He had very uncomfortable time with the press after his statement, I thought his replies were defensive. I wondered if he had read Corbyn's comments on Facebook, which amounted to a shout of 'Come and Have A Go If You Think Your Hard Enough.' It looks as if Starmer took up the challenge.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    isam said:

I wonder what it will mean for the next GE. I would have thought a lot of Labour Corbynistas would stay loyal to him and his cronies if they moved to BLM, Ind or Green and so it’s worse for them, but credit to Sir Keir for doing what he thought was the right thing despite that

He will have a massive surge of centrist support. The kind of people you need to win an election. As Tony Blair conclusively demonstrated (for all his faults).
  • Options

I mean, Johnson did sack half his party in the last Parliament.
    Just a shame that the criteria for those sackings were all wrong.
  • Options
    I wonder what the union positions are on this. Does SKS have their support, and - if not - what are the financial consequences for Labour?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    edited October 2020

FPT

Pulpstar said:

Two big outlier polls recently, Wisconsin + 17 / Texas + 9 Biden. I know the sampling WILL be wrong but it's difficult to generate polls like that even as outliers - particularly the Wisconsin one if the true state of the race is anywhere near close.

Indeed, we're either headed for either a

i) Biden (landslide) victory
    ii) The biggest polling disaster in history
    iii) Electoral chicanery aided and abetted by the GOP across the states and in SCOTUS handing Trump a second term.
    iii) = The end of days scenario really. Democracy across the world would not survive being deserted by its historic cheerleader.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I would not be surprised if we see a split now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Mega respect to Starmer.

Bozo promising on national TV an independent investigation into his own party’s issues, then burying this as soon as he got the top job, doesn’t look so bright now.
    It helped him get the top job and if you lie as much as he does, no-one can really blame him when they find out he lied again. It is what makes him and Trump scandal proof.
  • Options

Aha – that makes more sense!!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    If Citizen Data is right and Biden is +10 ahead in early voting, what do we think that means for the election, considering Texas is already at 94% of 2016's turnout?
  • Options

Thanks.
  • Options

If Citizen Data is right and Biden is +10 ahead in early voting, what do we think that means for the election, considering Texas is already at 94% of 2016's turnout?

If its accurate then buy Biden on the spreads.

If.
  • Options

If that's correct and the poll is only up to the 20th Oct then its more for the shredder than the bin, with just a few days to go
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Mal557 said:

Alistair said:

'Fluked his way into playing a blinder' . so taking a leaf out of Boris's playbook.
    In retrospect Corbyn replying the way he did was inevitable - it is the same line he has taken since the beginning.

Waiting for his reaction was an intelligent move. On this, Corbyn's record is to pickup a belt-fed machine gun. And aim it at his own feet.
  • Options

Applying the PB statistics theorem, it means Biden will get 104% of the vote ....

:D:D:D
  • Options

If.
    Look at the dates of the poll
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    What would have happened if he was PM? (I mean re: the EHRC report, not brexit, or nationalising broadband at exactly the wrong time, or...)
  • Options

isam said:

He will have a massive surge of centrist support. The kind of people you need to win an election. As Tony Blair conclusively demonstrated (for all his faults).
    Blair did manage keep the more left wing elements in the party as well though.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

If.
    Look at the dates of the poll
    From memory hadn't about 50% voted in TX by the 20th?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Mega respect to Starmer.

It helped him get the top job and if you lie as much as he does, no-one can really blame him when they find out he lied again. It is what makes him and Trump scandal proof.
    Johnson appears to use the strategy of saying whatever it takes to survive until tomorrow. What he said yesterday will then be irrelevant...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    edited October 2020

Ok but worth remembering that 94% of the 2016 turnout have now voted in Texas.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Edit: Apols - I see others have already made this point - playing catch-up here on this quiet news day.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

Great to see you back Jack.

Thank you Mike and to others for their kind words.

Bit of a torrid time this past year or so (the cuisine in Parkhurst is shocking don't you know) .... pleased to be out for the show across the pond.

Would you care for a POTUS thread submission from my "Against The Grain" theme?

• Options

Applying the PB statistics theorem, it means Biden will get 104% of the vote ....

:D:D:D
    But Trump will still find a way to claim voter fraud and win :)
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Alistair said:

Except for the blinder ending, for sure.
This discussion has been closed.