Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Unlike WH2016 Trump’s opponent this time has strong positive favourability ratings – politicalbettin

Comments

• Options

I suspect that looking at today, the verdict of some voters won;t be labour or conservative, but neither.

Ah, the reverse 2005
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,752
    JVT ruling out national firebreak at the moment. Sorry SKS....
  • Options
    All of this could have been avoided:
    Follow the science
    Five Tiers (Low / Medium / High / Very High / Extremely High)
    Each tier has a specified set of rules that Do Not Change
    Government support for business and workers announced centrally at a VIABLE level
    Impose the tiers as demanded by the science by ringing the area and informing them

Its not rocket science.
  • Options

Remember when I said the Tiers were confusing and would lead to chaos and PB Tories told me I was being silly, I am sure they won't admit to their being wrong

The CMO's have just endorsed them
  • Options

Well, I think the odds of the Blue Wall collapsing and going back to Labour for another generation are increasing

Manchester is not Red Wall, though, is it? Neither is Liverpool. Both are solid Labour, like London. The government's targeting is spot on so far. The real trouble will come if they treat the smaller towns that turned Blue the same way. I doubt they will.

But what this all puts to bed for all time is the notion that Johnson and Cummings have any interest in uniting the country. They actually need it as divided as possible and will govern in a way to ensure that it is.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

While I agree that HMG should not be writing out cheques for a six month lockdown, this is a PR disaster for Boris and when you add in the refusal to grant free school meals for children during the holidays as requested by Marcus Rashford you do really have to wonder if they are being coached by Gérard Ratner

I would be very surprised if the polls do not show a marked crossover

No 10 needs a new PR representative, step forward Allegra

Number 10 blew all its stake money on outsourcing to its mates and furlough betting on there being no second wave.
    The gamble failed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OFF TOPIC -

Several newspapers have recently quoted Jennifer Arcuri conceding that she did indeed have an affair with Boris Johnson and was 'bombarded by passion'.
    The Mirror reports that "the 35-year-old businesswoman has gone on record by alleging she had an affair with the current Prime Minister between 2012 and 2016 while he was the Mayor of London"
    The Mirror's report continues "But the Prime Minister avoided a criminal investigation after the police watchdog found no evidence he influenced the payment of thousands of pounds of public money to her, or secured her participation in foreign trade trips he led."
    In the light of these disclosures, is it perhaps possible or indeed likely that investigations into his conduct at the time will be re-opened.
    Certainly, further embarrassment for the Prime Minister appears certain with Ms Arcuri set to produce a film about their relationship.

A film? I'm thinking "When Jenny Met Boris", a romcom starring ... oh never mind. Why should we make light of this stuff. It's not funny really.
    Not bad as "Beauty and the Beast" is already spoken for.

BTW, if B&TB was available, who would be who? Reckon that Boris naturally assume he ALWAYS gets top billing!
  • Options
    Shagger waffling when asked directly if the extra money is being given or not. So its absolutely clear that (a) it isn't on offer because (b) Shagger thinks he can make an example of uppity regional mayors.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    They have withdrawn the offer its now £22m

That should help
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Well, I think the odds of the Blue Wall collapsing and going back to Labour for another generation are increasing

Manchester is not Red Wall, though, is it? Neither is Liverpool. Both are solid Labour, like London. The government's targeting is spot on so far. The real trouble will come if they treat the smaller towns that turned Blue the same way. I doubt they will.

But what this all puts to bed for all time is the notion that Johnson and Cummings have any interest in uniting the country. They actually need it as divided as possible and will govern in a way to ensure that it is.

good point
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Follow the science
    Government support for business and workers announced centrally at a VIABLE level
    Impose the tiers as demanded by the science by ringing the area and informing them

Its not rocket science.

I think it's even more simple, Rochdale. Pay people £1000 per week to stay indoors when they have the virus as well as proper job protections and priority delivery slots. Punitive fines for anyone who breaks isolation. That has a net R of about -0.5 that from reading studies done in Singapore and other countries who have implemented these policies. Nationally we're sitting at about R=1.1, in some areas it is 1 and others it is 1.4, making people isolate properly will bring the R below 1 almost everywhere in the country.

No need for a complicated and expensive to administer tier system that destroys jobs and creates loads of enmity between different regions.
  • Options
    Patriotic Tory MPs - if such things exist these days - are surely going to have to act sooner rather than later. The damage that Johnson and Cummings are doing to this country is immense and, more than anything else, totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Remember when I said the Tiers were confusing and would lead to chaos and PB Tories told me I was being silly, I am sure they won't admit to their being wrong

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    rcs1000 said:

It's almost like people change their behaviour in response to health crises.
    Or all the students have all been exposed now and either had it mildly or have T cell immunity already and shrugged it off.

Good to see Nottingham figures dropping. Let's hope there is no more talk of Tier 3 for the city now that that is happening.
  • Options

Patriotic Tory MPs - if such things exist these days - are surely going to have to act sooner rather than later. The damage that Johnson and Cummings are doing to this country is immense and, more than anything else, totally unnecessary.

They dont have the collective power, there is no party uniting rival. He may still step down next year, but probably more for personal reasons than being forced to politically. We are stuck with this shit for another 4 years.
  • Options

Follow the science

Its not rocket science.

I pointed out when they announced variable T3 it was going to be a disaster. Not only will they get local resistance to one measure or anit5, but it will delay the implementation.
  • Options

I know a few North West Tory councillors and activists.

If their mood is accurate then the Tories won't be left with any council seats and MPs for a generation.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Or all the students have all been exposed now and either had it mildly or have T cell immunity already and shrugged it off.

Good to see Nottingham figures dropping. Let's hope there is no more talk of Tier 3 for the city now that that is happening.
    Don't worry, you don't have a dickhead like Sadiq khan in charge so hopefully you won't end up in unnecessarily high tier.
  • Options

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

'We cannot just allow our elderly to die'

And you are correct BJO
  • Options

Tier 3 coming in Nottingham, Yorkshire and Northeast from the sound of it.

Yet Nottingham are falling rapidly.

This is madness.

Zeolatry frankly.

• Options

I would write a letter now if I could

• Options
    The idea of negotiating different restrictions each time has just copied all the flaws with devolved governments / US state system during a pandemic.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    With kickoff being signaled when Trumpsky begins using the Rose Garden for human sacrifices.
  • Options
    PB Tories will claim they want Johnson gone and yet will happily sit around and do nothing
  • Options

9 Tory Greater Manchester MPs so that's not right.
  • Options

Follow the science

Its not rocket science.

The most important thing is to do react quickly. When you have a situation that can develop exponentially, it is vital that you get ahead of the curve and get measures into place at the first sign of increase. You simply can't afford to faff around waiting until the situation becomes intolerable before taking action.
  • Options

PB Tories will claim they want Johnson gone and yet will happily sit around and do nothing

It is only conservative mps who can effect the resignation of Boris
  • Options

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO
    Nobody is saying 'let's just let the elderly die'. It is another straw man argument from SAGE.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson says his role model is Winston Churchill.

Yet evidence suggests he is much more akin to another PM predecessor - Lord North. Who according to history was also a funny guy.
  • Options

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO
    We have to sacrifice younger people to a massive upsurge in other diseases instead? To suicide, depression, unemployment, everlasting debt to those who remain?

Because that's the choice really, isn;t it?
  • Options

GM has 9 out of 27 Tory Mps. Most of them marginals. It is far from Merseyside or inner London.
  • Options

Follow the science

Its not rocket science.

The most important thing is to do react quickly. When you have a situation that can develop exponentially, it is vital that you get ahead of the curve and get measures into place at the first sign of increase. You simply can't afford to faff around waiting until the situation becomes intolerable before taking action.
    I don't know if it is still the case, but at one point Germany had a fairly simple approach. If cases / 100k rise above a certain level you move into a different level of restrictions straight away.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited October 2020
    TOPPING said:

I suspect that looking at today, the verdict of some voters won;t be labour or conservative, but neither.

Nowhere to go until 2024.
    Unless you live in Scotland, certainly electorally. 2021 will be interesting ...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Arizona and Georgia cases are heading back up again!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Boris Johnson has been an utter disaster. He's outdone May, and the cabinet is far worse.

At what point do Tory MPs make a move?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Guido is talking rubbish, the Church of England was created as a breakaway from the Catholic Church by Henry VIII so by definition it has to be the established Church with the monarch as its head otherwise as it is still a 'holy Catholic and apostolic church' it would effectively revert to its Supreme Head being the Pope
    Er...you mean like the Methodist church?
    The Methodist church is non conformist, not the established church.

The Queen is also not Supreme Governor of the Methodist Church

I think you will find the Methodist Church in England (not in Wales where it was different) was formed by a breakaway from the Church of England in the late eighteenth century.

I would also point out the Church of Ireland and Church in Wales are both disestablished (in 1869 and 1920 respectively) and while neither have the Queen as Supreme Governor neither seem to have resumed papal authority.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO
    Nobody is saying 'let's just let the elderly die'. It is another straw man argument from SAGE.
    Well some lockdown sceptics have said just that, including @LadyG here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Boris Johnson says his role model is Winston Churchill.

Yet evidence suggests he is much more akin to another PM predecessor - Lord North. Who according to history was also a funny guy.

Boris Johnson's long term legacy will probably be to close down the 'columnist to political office' route to power.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Nowhere to go until 2024.
    Unless you live in Scotland, certainly electorally. 2021 will be interesting ...
    It will. And not in a good way for the conservatives. Or labour, in my estimation.

We may see a new type of politics. I really hope we do
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If he didn't do it whilst rappelling down from the ceiling I will be deeply disappointed by the headline.
  • Options
    Sounds like Boris is saying the £60m is still on the table if Burnham agrees to it.
  • Options

Boris Johnson has been an utter disaster. He's outdone May, and the cabinet is far worse.

At what point do Tory MPs make a move?
    I hope it comes soon and certainly in the early new year
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Has The PM just implied that funding for Manchester is going to be in line with that handed over to Liverpool and Lancashire?
  • Options

I know a few North West Tory councillors and activists.

If their mood is accurate then the Tories won't be left with any council seats and MPs for a generation.
    Shagger repeatedly asked how much cash there is and repeatedly not answering. He's clearly decided to throw GM under the bus to try and score points off Labour/Burnham. You can practically write his attack lines for PMQs tomorrow.

But as you point out, there are a lot of Tory MPs and councillors in Greater Manchester, several of them newly won, and they have all been as scathing about this as Burnham.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2020

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO
    We have to sacrifice younger people to a massive upsurge in other diseases instead? To suicide, depression, unemployment, everlasting debt to those who remain?

No, that's not the choice. That's a strawman. We've already seen that those countries that have acted fast to contain the virus have, on the whole, benefitted both economically and socially. Dithering / ignoring the virus is more likely to result in both economic and social damage than acting promptly and decisively to deal with it.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Has The PM just implied that funding for Manchester is going to be in line with that handed over to Liverpool and Lancashire?

Sounded like it
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

You sense, in the states, the administration does not care any more. COVID, for them is over. If you want to have COVID in your life vote democrat.

If you want to go back to your life, make money and pursue happiness and forget the whole effing thing vote Republican.

Its a clear choice. And one reason why the election is huge.
  • Options

Sounds like Boris is saying the £60m is still on the table if Burnham agrees to it.

He needs to bend the knee for his people.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

Cases look terrible, though was @MaxPB's hypothesis proven correct?

Err.... Murder Tuesday, remember. Just like the last 6 months.....
  • Options
    Speaking of comic relief - from Politico.com

One of Trumpsky's star recruits for "The Apprentice" was Omarosa, who was clearly bat-shit crazy from the get-go, and thus perfect for The Donald's entourage. Yours truly actually saw the lady in the flesh (suitably covered) in back of the bleachers at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, just one of the many celebrities wandering about, ranging from her (the ridiculous) to Jimmy Carter and the late, great John Lewis (the sublime).

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/trumps-case-omarosa-problem-unpaid-legal-bills-430237

Trump’s case against Omarosa exposes another problem: Unpaid legal bills
    The case is just one of many lingering court battles the campaign has launched but not completed with two weeks left before Election Day.

Donald Trump’s campaign wants Omarosa Manigault Newman to pay up for penning an incriminating tell-all book about the president in 2018. But it’s the Trump campaign that hasn’t paid its bills.

The delinquent $52,000 payment — revealed in a previously unreported letter dated Oct. 14 and obtained by POLITICO — is just one example of how the Trump campaign is handling the flurry of legal actions it has taken to both protect the president and attack his enemies in the final weeks of the campaign.

In some instances, the campaign is pressing ahead. In others, it has let the cases go dormant. The through line, however, is that the campaign has started a lot of fights in court, yet is not close to resolving them with just two weeks left until Election Day.

In the action against Manigault Newman, the campaign may simply let the case dissolve. In 2018, the Trump campaign filed an arbitration case against the former West Wing aide over her book, which rocked the White House with stories of Trump using lewd, sexist and racist language. At one point, Trump’s attorneys suggested Newman pay for a nearly $1 million ad campaign “to counteract the long-term adverse effects” of her remarks.

Yet the campaign has thus far stiffed the arbitrator assigned to mediate the case, according to a letter sent to the parties in the case. If Trump’s attorneys don’t pay the outstanding bill by next week, the case could be tossed out.
  • Options

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO

No, that's not the choice. That's a strawman. We've already seen that those countries that have acted fast to contain the virus have, on the whole, benefitted both economically and socially. Dithering / ignoring the virus is more likely to result in both economic and social damage than promptly and decisively dealing with it.
    there's no containing the virus. Its a completely false concept. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable at vast expense
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited October 2020
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Guido is talking rubbish, the Church of England was created as a breakaway from the Catholic Church by Henry VIII so by definition it has to be the established Church with the monarch as its head otherwise as it is still a 'holy Catholic and apostolic church' it would effectively revert to its Supreme Head being the Pope

I think you will find the Methodist Church in England (not in Wales where it was different) was formed by a breakaway from the Church of England in the late eighteenth century.

I would also point out the Church of Ireland and Church in Wales are both disestablished (in 1869 and 1920 respectively) and while neither have the Queen as Supreme Governor neither seem to have resumed papal authority.
    That does not change the fact it is not the Church of England and its Head is not the monarch, just as once the Church of England left the Catholic Church its head was no longer the Pope. However the Church of England's very foundation depends on it being the established Church with the monarch as its Head.

The Church of Ireland represents the Republic of Ireland too and the Church of Wales is closer to the Methodist Church than the Church of England
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nor did their sister in the Anglican [sic] Communion, the Episcopalian Church in Scotland, which is moreover an illegitimate offshoot of the Presbyterian Church (as they were at the time, which makes it ecclesia non grata by Conservative standards).
  • Options

So why has he allowed Burnham to be live on TV receiving a text to say it isn't whilst being cheered by locals?
    Unless they expected folk to turn on Burnham?
    In which case they don't get Manchester. At all.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,009
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, you get natural waves.

And it's one compounded by the fact that there's a long lag between infe ction and numbers being recorded. (And, of course, the initial doublings don't look so big, it's only when the numbers have got to a certain level that people freak out.)

So, the numbers of infections are low, the hospitals are empty, people relax and go out. Cases don't appear to be rising, so they tell themselves that it's all OK.

People socialise.

Infections rise.

Suddenly cases are rising and hospitals start getting full again.

And people lock themselves down again.

Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

That does not change its Head is not the monarch, just as once the Church of England left the Catholic Church its head is no longer the Pope.

The Church of Ireland represents the Republic of Ireland too and the Church of Wales is closer to the Methodist Church than the Church of England
    But my point is, removing the queen as SG would not make it catholic again. Which, if I have understood correctly, was your original claim.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nor did their sister in the Anglican [sic] Communion, the Episcopalian Church in Scotland, which is moreover an illegitimate offshoot of the Presbyterian Church (as they were at the time, which makes it ecclesia non grata by Conservative standards).
    Nor have the Episcopalians rejoined the General Assembly. At least, not that I’ve heard.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

You sense, in the states, the administration does not care any more. COVID, for them is over. If you want to have COVID in your life vote democrat.

If you want to go back to your life, make money and pursue happiness and forget the whole effing thing vote Republican.

I'd rewrite that just slightly -

If you want to have Covid in your life vote Democrat.

If you want to have Covid take your life vote Republican.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Paton coming to the slow realisation that reported data are also a useful source of up-to-date information given the incomplete nature of case data by specimen date.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

That does not change its Head is not the monarch, just as once the Church of England left the Catholic Church its head is no longer the Pope.

But my point is, removing the queen as SG would not make it catholic again. Which, if I have understood correctly, was your original claim.
    It would, as the Church of Ireland and Church of Wales were effectively created as new Churches within the Anglican umbrella, the Church of England though is by its very foundation stone based on the monarch as its Supreme Governor and being the established church, if that is removed it is no longer the Church of England and you either create a new Anglican church to replace it or it reverts to the supremacy of Rome
  • Options
    Looks like we bet everything on blue rather than red.

And then black turned up.

(Yes, I know there’s no blue in roulette, but the joke doesn’t work otherwise.)
  • Options

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO

No, that's not the choice. That's a strawman. We've already seen that those countries that have acted fast to contain the virus have, on the whole, benefitted both economically and socially. Dithering / ignoring the virus is more likely to result in both economic and social damage than promptly and decisively dealing with it.
    there's no containing the virus. Its a completely false concept. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable at vast expense
    That's just not true.

You can argue that it's not worth it or other but this bad science just discounts your argument as ignorant. Of course you can contain the virus, whether you SHOULD is a far more important question to address.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Er, I thought it claimed to be Catholic and Reformed at the same time? Which leaves things even more tangled ...
  • Options

Paton coming to the slow realisation that reported data are also a useful source of up-to-date information given the incomplete nature of case data by specimen date.
    The WoW growth rate tells the story in cases, reporting date isn't really useful at all.

To my mind the most worrying part of that is the ZOE symptoms self reporting, it hasn't levelled off which means that cases are still rising at around 20-25% per week.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Who is the CMO?

Chris Whitty i think
    JVT just now

And you are correct BJO

Open your eyes and look outside the UK. Look at, for example, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Japan, Norway. They are doing a decent job of containing the virus, and their economies have fared substantially better than those that have failed to contain the virus.
  • Options
    When even Richard Burgon is making effective attack lines you know you're borked.

https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1318597440598061059
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It would, as the Church of Ireland and Church of Wales were effectively created as new Churches within the Anglican umbrella, the Church of England though is by its very foundation stone based on the monarch as its Supreme Governor and being the established church, if that is removed it is no longer the Church of England and you either create a new Anglican church to replace it or it reverts to the supremacy of Rome
    What's wrong with appointing Justin + Cantuar as the Suipreme Governor, or a rotating convener Moderator-style? Why does it have to be the Queen (in principle) or Boris Johnson (in reality)? Might get away from Henry VIII's sex life if you do.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd rewrite that just slightly -

If you want to have Covid in your life vote Democrat.

If you want to have Covid take your life vote Republican.
    If you are 80 plus with serious problems that might be about the size of it.

But most of the electorate is not.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

So why has he allowed Burnham to be live on TV receiving a text to say it isn't whilst being cheered by locals?
    Unless they expected folk to turn on Burnham?
    In which case they don't get Manchester. At all.
    I think you're right.
    Boris's mega brain thought people would read this as Boris Being Strong and A Tough Negotiator.
    The main readout so far is Boris is stupid, mean and petulant.

How long until the reverse ferret? We haven't had a decent humiliating climbdown for weeks. (Was exam grades the last one?)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736

JVT ruling out national firebreak at the moment. Sorry SKS....

It was a nuanced response, but if I understand it correctly, he's saying the circuit breaker will be less effective now than when SAGE recommended it.

ie We will have to roll with the extra deaths that an earlier lockdown would have prevented.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If you say so Hyufd.

You’re wrong, but that’s never stopped you in the past.

(All other considerations aside, have you forgotten that there is a Catholic diocesan structure in England now, separate from the Church of England? Or do you not realise that the ownership of Anglican church buildings is vested in the residents of he parish - weirdly, whether they are Anglicans or not?)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What's wrong with appointing Justin + Cantuar as the Suipreme Governor, or a rotating convener Moderator-style? Why does it have to be the Queen (in principle) or Boris Johnson (in reality)? Might get away from Henry VIII's sex life if you do.
    As it would cease to be the Church of England that is why, the C of E's foundation stone was as the established church with the monarch as Supreme Governor, without that a new successor Anglican Church would have to be created or it would revert to its Supreme Head being the Pope
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

In practice, there would be two new churches in England if the Anglican Church were disestablished - the provinces of Canterbury and York.

But I imagine everyone would continue to refer loosely to ‘the church of England’.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The WoW growth rate tells the story in cases, reporting date isn't really useful at all.

To my mind the most worrying part of that is the ZOE symptoms self reporting, it hasn't levelled off which means that cases are still rising at around 20-25% per week.
    But you can have WoW values by reporting date. They are not mutually exclusive concepts. And as Paton has admitted, the latest data by reporting date shows that cases are actually rising rather than flat.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

In practice, there would be two new churches in England if the Anglican Church were disestablished - the provinces of Canterbury and York.

But I imagine everyone would continue to refer loosely to ‘the church of England’.
    What a startling thought. But it does make sense.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If you say so Hyufd.

You’re wrong, but that’s never stopped you in the past.

(All other considerations aside, have you forgotten that there is a Catholic diocesan structure in England now, separate from the Church of England? Or do you not realise that the ownership of Anglican church buildings is vested in the residents of he parish - weirdly, whether they are Anglicans or not?)
    The Vatican still considers the Church of England just a branch of the Catholic Church which has lost its way and until the Reformation most residents of the parish were Catholic
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2020
    ydoethur said:

Or do you not realise that the ownership of Anglican church buildings is vested in the residents of he parish - weirdly, whether they are Anglicans or not?

Interesting, I didn't know that. So we can sell them off and divvi up the proceeds?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

As it would cease to be the Church of England that is why, the C of E's foundation stone was as the established church with the monarch as Supreme Governor, without that a new successor Anglican Church would have to be created or it would revert to its Supreme Head being the Pope
    So basically Henry VIII's sex life is the really, really important thing?

This is utterly mindblowing from a Scottish perspective, where the entire trend of Scottish history was to keep kings' and lairds' paws off the kirk, which was guaranteed in the Treaty of Union.

I'd like to see the court cases arising from yoiur assertion that the C of E woul;d revert to the Papacy, in view of what ydoethur says - make the rows between the various Presbyterian splits as to who got what look like an aquarium of kissing gourami by comparison.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020
    No attendance allowed at the footy, but this is ok...

BBC News - 'Absolute carnage' at Thorpe Park Fright Night
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-54617387
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited October 2020

Cases look terrible, though was @MaxPB's hypothesis proven correct?

Err.... Murder Tuesday, remember. Just like the last 6 months.....
    Something a bit strange in the figures today though. The turnaround times for tests seems to have improved significantly - normally in England there are almost non processed within 24-48 hours (in Northern Ireland almost all are).
This discussion has been closed.