Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For all the talk in the past week of Biden landslide the spread betting markets have barely moved –

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Andy_JS said:

The idea that you can replace ordinary face-to-face life with online life is ridiculous.
    The idea that the government can keep paying out money to people for doing nothing is ridiculous.

I wonder what other ridiculous ideas this crisis will bring out into the open.

The worrying thing is that if you replace ordinary face-to-face life with online life for too long, it is quite difficult to resume the former. I speak from experience of being single and WFH 2013-2018. Small journeys become missions, little chit chats are like job interviews
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The idea that you can replace ordinary life with online life is ridiculous.
    The idea that the government can keep paying out money to people for doing nothing is ridiculous.

That it's not real?
    That if we did nothing things would get back to normal?
    That it only affects the old, or is no worse than flu?
    That bringing it under control proves we didn't need to bring it under control?
    That we could get to herd immunity quickly and with minimal damage?

I've seen all of those being spouted.
    You want a ridiculous take, how about this from March?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841

Scott_xP said:
    Well the Excel balls up was PHE, so I think it more shines a light into how crap lota of quangos are....the same people who couldn't manage more than 20k tests a day.
    Yet the same people squealing about how everything’s going sh!t, are equally seqealing about the PM’s right hand man in charge of reforming the civil service and sorting out this mess of uselessness. It’s almost as if they want it to be sh!t, if it means they can blame a government they don’t like.
  • Options
    So Johnson speech review?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    isam said:

Sir Keir is onside with the prosecution of Darren Grimes

He has not said that at all - rather that it was correct for the authorities to investigate.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    TimT said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

There's a feeling these days that a short hike from the US coast and you'll enter a vast hinterland of racist and religious bigots. This was what I thought 12 years ago when I dismissed Mike's famous 50/1 tip on OBAMA. These people do exist but so do those who got Obama over the line and fortunately there are sufficient numbers to see Trump loses whoever his opponent

Yeah, funny how it's the coastal US that is woke and the coastal UK that is unwoke.

By US standards the whole of the UK is coastal!
    Indeed. In DC we have a tidal basin, but we are further from the Atlantic coast than Coton in the Elms.
    Very beautiful it is too, especially with the cherry trees in blossom.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,341
    edited October 2020
    "two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers ... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls."

And that's just me, after watching it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Nigelb said:

Interesting:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/12/biden-trump-2020-election-night-428856

If Biden takes FL, NC, and AZ, it's all over on election night, not five days later.

If Biden wins Florida, then I would be *extremely* surprised if he didn't win the Presidency.

On the other hand, it's perfectly possible that Trump wins Florida but loses the Presidency.
  • Options
    Hold on there...Boris has just announced basically there is 3.5 tiers....in that there will be local negotiations for extra restrictions in areas in the highest level....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Andy_JS said:

The idea that you can replace ordinary life with online life is ridiculous.

That it's not real?
    That if we did nothing things would get back to normal?
    That it only affects the old, or is no worse than flu?
    That bringing it under control proves we didn't need to bring it under control?
    That we could get to herd immunity quickly and with minimal damage?

I've seen all of those being spouted.
    The inference that flu isn't a killer disease is another
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    justin124 said:

isam said:

Sir Keir is onside with the prosecution of Darren Grimes

He has not said that at all - rather that it was correct for the authorities to investigate.
    Indeed, there is no prosecution. Yet.

That Starmer didn't call the investigation a nonsense was sadly predictable. Crime in London must be really low at the moment.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

So Johnson speech review?

Nothing really.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well the Excel balls up was PHE, so I think it more shines a light into how crap lota of quangos are....the same people who couldn't manage more than 20k tests a day.
    Yet the same people squealing about how everything’s going sh!t, are equally seqealing about the PM’s right hand man in charge of reforming the civil service and sorting out this mess of uselessness. It’s almost as if they want it to be sh!t, if it means they can blame a government they don’t like.
    We should copy Germany....we copy Germany...oh no not like that ...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Nigelb said:

Argh

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Government cockups I think most people agree on:

- being too complacent about travel from Europe in January and February
    - moving OAPs into homes from hospitals without testing them
    - developing the NHS-X app rather than using Apple/Google technology
    - closing schools at all, or at least without a clear plan to reopen them.

The first let the virus in in the first place (at least with the numbers and speed it came), the second may have cost 10-20k lives, the third has meant we're unprepared for the second wave and the fourth has blighted a year's schooling for a generation.

However, no. 1 accorded with expert advice, so I think it's mainly the other three I'd hold them responsible for.

And afaik there's no evidence that Prime Minister Starmer would have done anything different on any of them.

Fair enough take. But politics does not work this way. When things go horribly run under a government the public do not conduct forensic counterfactuals asking themselves if the opposition would have been any better. For example, the financial crash and resulting economic downturn and crisis in the public finances which dominated the GE of 2010. There was no evidence that the situation would have been better or would have been better handled by a Cameron Conservative government rather than Brown's Labour one - the opposite if anything - but this did not prevent a narrative of "Labour's mess" taking root. Similarly here, regardless of how you think Starmer would have performed relative to Johnson, if this pans out as badly as it looks like doing, this government will own it.
    The reason that Labour owned the Financial Crash in 2008 was because Cameron and Osborne were effective in pinning the blame to them. They had a simple story, "Labour didn't fix the roof when the sun was shining," which was true enough to pass muster, even if it had nothing to do with banking regulation. And they repeated it enough so that it became part of the common consciousness.

Starmer has not found the simple message to use to pin the blame for Covid onto the Conservatives in general and Johnson in particular. It's not inevitable that they will take the majority of the blame. Labour have to convince the public that they should.
    One simple narrative might have been "reactive, not proactive".
    And they react bloody slowly, too.

But Starmer doesn't appear very proactive himself.
    Thinking back to the very effective "Labour's Mess" at GE 2010 persisting to GE 2015, what I'd go for is something like "Tory Covid Shambles".

Short, simple, blunt. Gets over the idea perfectly with no room for nuance or complexity.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Well, he is not far wrong with California, at least LA. Downtown is apparently totally dystopian
    LA Downtown, like most other downtowns in the US (or the UK for that matter) is a lot less dystopian than it used to be.

When I first visited LA in 1998 (for E3!), downtown was completely dead. There was nothing there other than aggressive panhandlers and a few rundown looking office buildings. Skid row had spilled out over several streets and it as pretty awful. The only hotels were cheap ones for the convention center. (And if you had half a brain you stayed somewhere nice like Santa Monica or Beverly Hills.)

In the last 22 years, nice hotels, restaurants, apartments, theatres and bars have moved in. Downtown is cool - you can be near the Staples Center (go Lakers!), close to the Coliseum and USC. There is much better public transport. And the police have done a much better job (massively better than in SF or NY) of dealing with aggressive pan handlers.

I would say that downtown LA is much better than SF these days.
    The same is true in Baltimore. Sure, there is still huge urban blight and derelict areas within the city. But Capitol Hill, the harbour, and Fell's Point in particular are wonderful places to visit and live. That was not the case 20-30 years ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Yes, though the pictures of the two disciples are new.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Yep, as I said, "very high" applies just to Liverpool, to encourages les autres (as they say down that way). No betting shops open in Liverpool.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited October 2020
    Poor Pulpstar.

He's lumped in with Nottinghamshire when he's miles away from Nottingham, but people who are closer to Nottingham in Derby have no restrictions.
  • Options
    So it seems like the tiers are just as confusing as I said they were, nice job Johnson, nice job
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

https://twitter.com/hannahITV/status/1315650999495856129

LOOSENING the rules, Jesus Christ God help us

Seems sensible enough - we know that infection outdoors is much less likely.
    Absolutely reasonable. Better to tell people to meet in gardens and be listened to than not meet at all and be ignored.
    But, if you're letting people meet in gardens, even more reason to suspend the clocks going back.
    Is it a good idea to suspend clocks changing at late notice? (From a technical perspective.)

Or does everything run off internet time servers, which can be easily changed.
  • Options
    If i heard this right, this isn't simplifying the system at all, we are still potentially going to have different local restrictions for regions in the highest level.
  • Options
    Poor Johnson, he looks like he's not been getting a lot of sleep, sure that can't be good for anyone's health
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Hold on there...Boris has just announced basically there is 3.5 tiers....in that there will be local negotiations for extra restrictions in areas in the highest level....

Their consultation with local authorities simply allows Level 3 councils to volunteer extra businesses to close down. Liverpool chose betting shops.

The takeaway is that the government thought twice about taking on Burnham and the whole of the North.
  • Options
    Is that it?
  • Options

If i heard this right, this isn't simplifying the system at all, we are still potentially going to have different local restrictions for regions in the highest level.

Yeah not at all. It's a load of waffle.
  • Options
    Second national lockdown 'not the right course' - PM
    The prime minister begins his statement to MPs by explaining why he won't be announcing a second national lockdown for the UK.

"I do not believe that would be the right course," he says, citing damage to the economy and to children who would miss out on school.

He says there are others who disagree with measures entirely and would like to see them lifted.

But if we were to follow that course, "and let the virus rip", then the "bleak mathematics dictate that we would suffer not only an intolerable death toll" but would also put "huge strain" on the NHS and doctors and nurses would be unable to treat patients for cancer, heart disease and other conditions, he says.

The PM says further restrictions will help to save lives and protect the NHS while keeping children in school and protecting livelihoods.

--

I believe this will come to be a grave mistake but fair play for setting out his view.
  • Options
    A bigger question is what's the timeline now...another 6 months? Another 9? Years?
  • Options

Poor Pulpstar.

He's lumped in with Nottinghamshire when he's mile away from Nottingham, but people who are closer to Nottingham in Derby have no restrictions.

Will there be a blockade on Brian Clough Way?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

The idea that you can replace ordinary face-to-face life with online life is ridiculous.

The worrying thing is that if you replace ordinary face-to-face life with online life for too long, it is quite difficult to resume the former. I speak from experience of being single and WFH 2013-2018. Small journeys become missions, little chit chats are like job interviews
    Plus the rhetoric is such that people will fear walking down the street and going to Tescos for some time to come.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

0.38. Get. To. Fuck.

Not only was it just 0.38, but it's not like US States limit themselves to only changing one rule at a time. So, increases in restaurant spending almost certainly correlate with other loosening measures.
    Not seen the original report but the suggestion is that all categories of credit card spending were reviewed and restaurants were the best match of all. Though of course that limits it to things which cost money.
    As sell side research goes it is a decent report. The author is a smart guy and the JP Morgan research team is excellent, especially on the US. Seriously, when you are looking at variation across the US states with lots of other stuff happening at the same time, an R^2 of almost 0.4 is pretty good and suggestive that there is something there. I wouldn't necessarily run my public health policy off this kind of piece, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, either.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Starmer: no doubt of need for divisive action lol.
  • Options
    So go on then Keir, what's your plan? Let's hear it.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited October 2020
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Plus the rhetoric is such that people will fear walking down the street and going to Tescos for some time to come.
    Frankly in the short term that's probably not a bad idea, if it gets the infection rates down.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Boris the idiot arguing against the non-existent "let it rip" group. No one is saying we should do that. C***.

It is a total straw man, the only people arguing this are the likes of Piers Corbyn, who claim it is all a hoax.
    Quite a few of my Facebook friends (genuinely) support Let it Rip.

They often think that the whole thing is a plot to make them get a Bill Gates tracking vaccine injected.
  • Options

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Roger said:

There's a feeling these days that a short hike from the US coast and you'll enter a vast hinterland of racist and religious bigots. This was what I thought 12 years ago when I dismissed Mike's famous 50/1 tip on OBAMA. These people do exist but so do those who got Obama over the line and fortunately there are sufficient numbers to see Trump loses whoever his opponent

Yeah, funny how it's the coastal US that is woke and the coastal UK that is unwoke.

By US standards the whole of the UK is coastal!
    Indeed. In DC we have a tidal basin, but we are further from the Atlantic coast than Coton in the Elms.
    Very beautiful it is too, especially with the cherry trees in blossom.
    Is that where that marshy botanic area with the walkways is? I went there last year
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Boris the idiot arguing against the non-existent "let it rip" group. No one is saying we should do that. C***.

It is a total straw man, the only people arguing this are the likes of Piers Corbyn, who claim it is all a hoax.

They often think that the whole thing is a plot to make them get a Bill Gates tracking vaccine injected.
    You need some new friends.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I would start questioning your choice of friends.....
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

My hearing might not be much good but I didn't hear much of a plan from Keir!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Poor Pulpstar.

He's lumped in with Nottinghamshire when he's mile away from Nottingham, but people who are closer to Nottingham in Derby have no restrictions.

Will there be a blockade on Brian Clough Way?
    There should be.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    Starmer: Is this actually going to work? Why is your Test and Trace not working?

Johnson: WEIRFD:LNMK:DSNFK:LNH Equivocation

I fucking hate our PM.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    IshmaelZ said:

Did he actually say divisive?
  • Options
    There's a strong correlation between these new stricter lockdowns and cities that have won multiple European Cups/Champions Leagues.
  • Options

Was there one, I switched off to actually do some work.
  • Options
    Bozo has perked up at the prospect of a political knockabout. He'd do better to at least try and be a statesman given the gravity and potential duration of what he is announcing.
  • Options

Is that it?

He gets that a lot.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

There are, in fact, quite a few people arguing for "let it rip".

Just as we have people arguing for complete national lockdown.
  • Options
    So BoJo would like Keir to support the Goverment regardless of what they do. Sounds like he prefers a dictatorship
  • Options
    Boris wants to "drive the virus down".

To what point?

When will he declare Mission Accomplished and we begin to try to live with it?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Starmer really is useless isn't he. The goal is completely open, the goalkeeper has been sent off as well as the whole blood defence and he's smashed it over the bar. The lack of talent in both political parties is absolutely shocking.

He needs to take a position now, he should be IMHO, backing a full lockdown.
    And lose all remaining support?
    It's the right position to take. What position would you like him to take?
    Support people to isolate with cash payments and hotel rooms/food/entertainment.

Push for widespread roll out of rapid testing at indoor venues and transit hubs.

Tough restrictions on arriving travellers and forced hotel isolation for 5 days and a negative PCR test.

Allow pubs to reopen to full hours, institute table service and sitting only room with mask wearing while standing for anyone.

Mandatory mask wearing in all indoor places, no exceptions even for health reasons. People who are unable to work due to this are supported with 100% wage subsidies based on their average wage over the 12 months before the virus.

These are all practical policies that will support the economy and people without destroying the social fabric of the nation.
    All good stuff and certainly better than what has been proposed so far. I still think it's too late but as an interim measure, better than nothing.

Except for pubs, I would close them entirely.
    There's still no logical reasoning behind that, you just seem to have this weird obsession with closing down pubs despite little evidence it will make any difference. We know the major transmission vector is people's front rooms. Closing down pubs sends people into front rooms. So you also have to stop household mixing, but that is notoriously difficult to police and requires an army of citizen snitches which is no way to conduct a free society.

No, the answer is making the community safe by removing people with the virus from the community until they don't have it. Hotel based separation is the answer, it works in the short and medium term until there is a vaccine.
    The policies to remove people from the population aren't currently working, or are non-existent.

I think you're right with what you say - I think it's too late to implement it though. This should have been in place from July.
    It actually isn't too late, the government could push through the policy tomorrow and start doing it next week with all new positive cases (and families if necessary) in all of the empty hotels across the country and let the councils run the programmes, they'll know local catering companies and delivery mechanisms better than someone in Whitehall.

It's a policy which brings down transmission very fast and has proven to work.
    Take a look at China.
    An outbreak in one area, and they propose to test all 9m people in a week. I acknowledge there's an element of state propaganda in everything that China puts out, but such numbers are not at all unrealistic.
    Do that in the NE, for example, isolate as you suggest, and R is about 0.1 by the end of the month.

It would not have been impossible to build that capacity over the summer (and still isn't).

Doing so would shortcircuit every inefficiency and problem with track & trace, too.
    Leaving up to local councils also means not needing to build an unweildy national system which takes months to prepare and put in place. Local councils could probably get this up and running overnight and the £500 per week cash inducement would be a nothing thing to figure out for the treasury.

I don't understand why no one in the government has got the capability to push this option. Starmer is perfectly placed to push it because he doesn't have to implement it and if the government fuck it up he can just say they did it badly.
    You're being quite persuasive on this 'isolate in hotels' thing.

Why do you think it is not being considered?
  • Options
    I think that was a very poor response from Johnson, bluster simply doesn't work for this kind of issue, in my view.

Of course, Keir didn't lay out his plan. Why not?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It
    IanB2 said:

Bozo has perked up at the prospect of a political knockabout. He'd do better to at least try and be a statesman given the gravity and potential duration of what he is announcing.

Quite. He gives the impression that government is a bore to him, but the chance for a ding-dong he comes alive.

That is not the kind of PM we need right now.
  • Options

I think that was a very poor response from Johnson, bluster simply doesn't work for this kind of issue, in my view.

Because his job is to probe the government's plan.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It is but he should also lay out his own.

His ratings are starting to slide, he must not let this "Captain Hindsight" stuff be realised
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Did he actually say divisive?
    Yes but corrected himself promptly to decisive
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    Last weeks much heralded IBD/TIPP national poll by some which showed just a 3 point lead for Biden shows a rather different picture this week !

In a two way match up

Biden 53

Trump 42

With third party candidates .

Biden 52

Trump 43
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

So it seems like the tiers are just as confusing as I said they were, nice job Johnson, nice job

Most predictable response of the year. I think the introduction of the new tier system is long overdue, and WILL make it clearer to people. The bigger problem will be criteria for going into and out of a tier.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited October 2020

Most predictable response of the year. I think the introduction of the new tier system is long overdue, and WILL make it clearer to people. The bigger problem will be criteria for going into and out of a tier.
    Which part about them is supposedly confusing? The concession to local leaders to allow them to further restrict what businesses can open it not ideal, but that isn't confusing. Unless you are confused by a 'closed' sign on the door, of course.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But it does come across as implying that it ought to be possible to have the best of both worlds. I'm not sure it's possible without some serious challenges to our civil liberties.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

"Stratified risk" or whatever it's called is "let it rip (except among the elderly)".
  • Options
    Sometimes, though, Dan Hodges hits the mole on the head, as in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1315664955555934217
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    edited October 2020
    Montana poll admittedly by the Dem leaning pollster PPP .

Trump 52

Biden 46

Trump won that in 2016 by just over 20 points !

The recall vote has the sample with an 18 point lead for Trump in 2016 so that’s not bad and close to the actual vote .
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    RobD said:

Which part about them is supposedly confusing? The concession to local leaders to allow them to further restrict what businesses can open it not ideal, but that isn't confusing. Unless you are confused by a 'closed' sign on the door, of course.
    What if the business behind that sign had just ordered in a month's worth of supplies? Or the supplier to that business finds that there is now that sign there?
  • Options
    Bozo taking a much less combative line with Davey. Suggests he is worried about the LibDems championing the same line as some of his anti-restriction right wingers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Maybe he's going for all 538 electoral college votes. Outdo Ronald Reagen in 84. DC is "tricky" for a republican to win to put it mildly :D
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

What if the business behind that sign had just ordered in a month's worth of supplies?
    While that's unfortunate for the business, it isn't confusing. I am not going to concede the point that reading something makes it confusing!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Starmer really is useless isn't he. The goal is completely open, the goalkeeper has been sent off as well as the whole blood defence and he's smashed it over the bar. The lack of talent in both political parties is absolutely shocking.

Support people to isolate with cash payments and hotel rooms/food/entertainment.

Push for widespread roll out of rapid testing at indoor venues and transit hubs.

Tough restrictions on arriving travellers and forced hotel isolation for 5 days and a negative PCR test.

Allow pubs to reopen to full hours, institute table service and sitting only room with mask wearing while standing for anyone.

Mandatory mask wearing in all indoor places, no exceptions even for health reasons. People who are unable to work due to this are supported with 100% wage subsidies based on their average wage over the 12 months before the virus.

These are all practical policies that will support the economy and people without destroying the social fabric of the nation.
    All good stuff and certainly better than what has been proposed so far. I still think it's too late but as an interim measure, better than nothing.

There's still no logical reasoning behind that, you just seem to have this weird obsession with closing down pubs despite little evidence it will make any difference. We know the major transmission vector is people's front rooms. Closing down pubs sends people into front rooms. So you also have to stop household mixing, but that is notoriously difficult to police and requires an army of citizen snitches which is no way to conduct a free society.

No, the answer is making the community safe by removing people with the virus from the community until they don't have it. Hotel based separation is the answer, it works in the short and medium term until there is a vaccine.
    The policies to remove people from the population aren't currently working, or are non-existent.

I think you're right with what you say - I think it's too late to implement it though. This should have been in place from July.
    It actually isn't too late, the government could push through the policy tomorrow and start doing it next week with all new positive cases (and families if necessary) in all of the empty hotels across the country and let the councils run the programmes, they'll know local catering companies and delivery mechanisms better than someone in Whitehall.

Take a look at China.
    An outbreak in one area, and they propose to test all 9m people in a week. I acknowledge there's an element of state propaganda in everything that China puts out, but such numbers are not at all unrealistic.
    Do that in the NE, for example, isolate as you suggest, and R is about 0.1 by the end of the month.

It would not have been impossible to build that capacity over the summer (and still isn't).

Doing so would shortcircuit every inefficiency and problem with track & trace, too.
    Leaving up to local councils also means not needing to build an unweildy national system which takes months to prepare and put in place. Local councils could probably get this up and running overnight and the £500 per week cash inducement would be a nothing thing to figure out for the treasury.

I don't understand why no one in the government has got the capability to push this option. Starmer is perfectly placed to push it because he doesn't have to implement it and if the government fuck it up he can just say they did it badly.

It's very expensive, probably £6-7bn per week at the moment, maybe even up to £10bn. It also has bad optics because it will be "paid holiday for nothing" headlines in the mail. It would also be tough to get it passed the right wing of the Tory party because it "rewards" irresponsibility. Even so none of those are serious concerns compared to a second national lockdown.

I also think the machinery of the British state is simply incapable of thinking of the most simple solutions to problems. Lockdown is simple, solution to lots of immediate problems even though it stores up significant issues for the future, that's something that can be dealt with later.

The problems we face need lots of small measures, not one big one, even this policy would need to be backed up by loads of other smaller ones.
  • Options
    For all that I've found the Scottish Government has been lacking lately in their response (having done a really good job in the Summer, including the Aberdeen local lockdown) I felt like they had some handle on the enhanced restrictions announced and imposed them with a lot more empathy and consideration than Johnson has just done. He seems to be making no effort to carry anyone with him. You can question whether Sturgeon's more recent choices are correct but she works hard rhetorically to carry people with her. Johnson just... announces and the has a fit when anyone challenges him on it. Look at today's FM briefing. She had an answer to every question (YMMV on how good they were), while Johnson just willfully ignores it. I really struggle with our government, they're just so crap.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

"Stratified risk" or whatever it's called is "let it rip (except among the elderly)".
    I would be very interested to know what the hospitalisation/ventilation/death rate is of the student population, seemingly the majority of which now have or live with someone who has the virus.
  • Options

Nothing Johnson says is ever intended to do anything more than get him safely through to tomorrow.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Take a look at China.

It's very expensive, probably £6-7bn per week at the moment, maybe even up to £10bn. It also has bad optics because it will be "paid holiday for nothing" headlines in the mail. It would also be tough to get it passed the right wing of the Tory party because it "rewards" irresponsibility. Even so none of those are serious concerns compared to a second national lockdown.

I also think the machinery of the British state is simply incapable of thinking of the most simple solutions to problems. Lockdown is simple, solution to lots of immediate problems even though it stores up significant issues for the future, that's something that can be dealt with later.

The problems we face need lots of small measures, not one big one, even this policy would need to be backed up by loads of other smaller ones.
    It probably isn't that expensive "all in", when you consider that you keep the organisations operating and paying tax. (Plus you keep people from being infected.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Absolutely reasonable. Better to tell people to meet in gardens and be listened to than not meet at all and be ignored.
    But, if you're letting people meet in gardens, even more reason to suspend the clocks going back.
    Is it a good idea to suspend clocks changing at late notice? (From a technical perspective.)

It would be great news for IT consultants ;) but utter chaos for everyone else!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nothing Johnson says is ever intended to do anything more than get him safely through to tomorrow.
    Yes, I think that is right.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Take a look at China.

It would also require us to learn the lessons from other nations that do this like South Korea, Taiwan and New Zealand. But we won't because of this bloody "wE'RE dA BeSt" attitude that eminates from the witless public schoolboys running the country.
  • Options

I love your sense of humour.

That even you're coming to realise Keir is an empty suit really shows something.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

It would be great news for IT consultants ;) but utter chaos for everyone else!
    Until their wage rates get driven down by all those retrained ballerinas....
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Pulpstar said:

Maybe he's going for all 538 electoral college votes. Outdo Ronald Reagen in 84. DC is "tricky" for a republican to win to put it mildly :D
    This is why the Lincoln Project is spending so much in the DC market - to infuriate that one viewer.
  • Options

Thank you, I do try. If you don't disagree I'm doing something wrong.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Why are you friends with these people?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited October 2020
    More geography fail on R5L.
    "It is the districts of Halton, Sefton, Knowsley, St Helens and Wirral.
    So basically just City centre Liverpool."
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited October 2020

That even you're coming to realise Keir is an empty suit really shows something.
    Today's politicians just aren't suited to this sort of crisis. I'd prefer to have Harold Wilson, John Major, Mrs Thatcher or Jim Callaghan in charge at the moment. It's got nothing to do with party politics, it's more to do with character and statesmanship.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

"It is the districts of Halton, Sefton, Knowsley and Wirral.

Who said that?!
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited October 2020

Your support for Johnson is still extremely worrying. You should see somebody about that.

I support Labour and I support Keir. But he needs to set out a plan.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I would be very interested to know what the hospitalisation/ventilation/death rate is of the student population, seemingly the majority of which now have or live with someone who has the virus.
    During education Qs prior to this debate I believe the minister said we currently have just over 9,000 positive cases among about two million current students. (edit/ that might have been new cases over the past week)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Poor Pulpstar.

He's lumped in with Nottinghamshire when he's miles away from Nottingham, but people who are closer to Nottingham in Derby have no restrictions.

All my friends and family are in Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Manchester and Coventry. I don't actually know anyone in Nottinghamshire unless you're counting the staff of the local chinese takeaway.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

During education Qs prior to this debate I believe the minister said we currently have just over 9,000 positive cases among about two million current students. (edit/ that might have been new cases over the past week)
    That doesn't bode well for it burning itself out amongst the student population.
  • Options
    There's a worrying lack of diversity there. They're all completely fucking bonkers.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

"It is the districts of Halton, Sefton, Knowsley and Wirral.

Who said that?!
    The presenter. Honestly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Which southerner said that?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Poor Pulpstar.

All my friends and family are in Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Manchester and Coventry. I don't actually know anyone in Nottinghamshire unless you're counting the staff of the local chinese takeaway.
    Sadly you can't see them now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Hi folks, one for the PB Brains Trust.

Would really appreciate a reply.

My friend is a redundancy consultation. Now, in her case, getting the redundancy wouldn't be too bad – she has been at her employer for 20 years and in any case the company pays more than the statutory. She also has three months' notice –– so her potential payoff is substantial.

Now, she has spotted an internal job advertised which is outside her own department and not in the jobs pool for the redundancy consultation. She fancies applying for it.

Her question is, will the actual act of her applying compromise her ability to walk away if she isn't offered any of the original pooled jobs? I.e. would the employer be able to force her to take the job she applied for whether she decided she wanted to or not?

Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Take a look at China.

It probably isn't that expensive "all in", when you consider that you keep the organisations operating and paying tax. (Plus you keep people from being infected.)
    Yes, it's a huge boost to the UK hotels, hospitality and catering industries, the net cost would be a lot lower as it saves money in furlough, business support and other schemes as well as not needing destructive lockdown measures and even being able to ease indoor distancing once the R is down to 0.1 and cases are down to a nominal level.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks

What about hospitalisations, etc? Did he mention that?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Take a look at China.

If it's 100k people in a week - and we get hotel rooms for 100 pound a night, that's 70m quid a week.

Now obviously in week 2 there'd be twice as many people, so 140m.
    Then if you pay people 500 quid a week on top, that's another 50m.

How are you getting to 10bn or is that a typo?

Edited for poor maths.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Perhaps the Trump campaign are unsure about the solidity of the President's vote?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Which southerner said that?
    The Halton MP is now moaning about being lumped in with the centre of Liverpool
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

WTF.

🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The line that irritates me is the "why can't we all decide our own risks?"

Sure, fine. People can decide their own risk. But don't they dare decide someone else's risk.
    If they want to risk being infected, I'm fine with that, and in my opinion, so should everyone else be fine with that. Their body, their choice.
    But they have no right to risk infecting someone else. None at all.

If anyone can work out a way to thread that particular needle, they're brighter than everyone else in the world, and they have the solution to all infectious outbreaks.

If we do go with that approach, I reckon we should add a proviso: If someone has chosen not to follow the precautions we outline, and they end up infecting others, than every case "downstream" from them is a criminal charge.

- For every case where someone gets ill: one charge of Actual Bodily Harm (because they caused these people to be harmed thanks to their own deliberate carelessness)
    - For every case where someone downstream gets hospitalised: one charge of GBH
    - For every case where someone downstream dies: charge them with culpable homicide.

That's surely fair enough? People should be willing to bear the consequences of their own actions and decisions, and when they end up causing hurt or death, they should face the consequences of that - like drunk drivers are supposed to do.
This discussion has been closed.