Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hollow Men – the sidelining of parliament during the biggest health/economic crisis in modern times

Comments

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Would such a pardon be enforceable? Even if this story is true, which seems a bit unlikely.
    Why wouldnt it be valid for federal crimes? Even a self pardon might be enforceable. AIUI state crimes would still be open so exile might be his best option.
    Is it enforceable as part of what amounts to a plea bargain? That’s my question.

It might well be. After all, American ‘justice’ is a relative term.
    Wouldnt the issue be that there are loads of prosecutors who could find something illegal he has done? So even if NY and federal are covered is that sufficient? It is obviously better than nothing though so quite likely to happen imo.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Trump live on Sky

Chants 'four more years'

He's tempered his ambitions a bit.
    I may have worded that incorrectly, the crowd were chanting four more years
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2016 the SNP got 47% on the constituency vote at Holyrood and 41% on the list so the SNP are now doing no better on the list vote than they did last time and only fractionally better on the constituency vote and unionist pacts can help defeat them on the latter
    The problem with Unionist pacts is that, for LD's it will be presented as going back to 2010, and by the Johnson and his friends as demonstrating an increase Conservative support.
    And for SLab going back to 2014 and the subsequent 2015 implosion. They're not going to touch it with HYUFD's thing let alone their own.
    SLab currently have exactly 3 Holyrood constituency seats, even fewer than the 7 the Tories have and the 4 the LDs have.

If SLab are going to win back any more Holyrood constituencies from the SNP they will need Tory and LD tactical votes
    The DRoss-SKS pincer movement better start pincering.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1314975310945964032?s=20

So the Tories are still winning most of their rural seats in Scotland, it is Labour who desperately need Tory tactical votes to win back seats in the central belt
    Tactical voting is pointless in list seats.
    In constituency seats it certainly is not, SLab lost 12 constituencies at Holyrood 2016, many with the SNP under 50% of the vote, Tory and LD tactical voting would win them back and likely deliver a Unionist majority in the process
    Trouble is that the list seat winning requirements then adjust to counterbalance that, to some degree.

And if I were a Tory, would I want to vote for Richard Leonard? A real live trade unionist? [I personally have no objection to TUs - but your mob utterly hate them, beyond all sanity.]
    Only to a limited extent, if the SNP lost say 6 constituency seats to SLab and SLab held all their other constituency seats and the SNP also lost 1 or 2 seats like Moray to the Tories then they would likely only pick up 1 or 2 seats on the list at most as it would not be enough to stop the SNP comfortably winning a majority of constituency votes but could be enough for a narrow Unionist majority on the combined total of constituency and list MSPs.

I suspect given what I have been hearing from some SCons they may even hold their nose and vote for Leonard if they live in the central belt and Tory on the list this time such is their loathing for the SNP
    Answer this for me: if Boris is going to ignore the SNP anyway, why does it matter if they get a majority or not?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,600
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2016 the SNP got 47% on the constituency vote at Holyrood and 41% on the list so the SNP are now doing no better on the list vote than they did last time and only fractionally better on the constituency vote and unionist pacts can help defeat them on the latter
    The problem with Unionist pacts is that, for LD's it will be presented as going back to 2010, and by the Johnson and his friends as demonstrating an increase Conservative support.
    And for SLab going back to 2014 and the subsequent 2015 implosion. They're not going to touch it with HYUFD's thing let alone their own.
    SLab currently have exactly 3 Holyrood constituency seats, even fewer than the 7 the Tories have and the 4 the LDs have.

If SLab are going to win back any more Holyrood constituencies from the SNP they will need Tory and LD tactical votes

So the Tories are still winning most of their rural seats in Scotland, it is Labour who desperately need Tory tactical votes to win back seats in the central belt
    In constituency seats it certainly is not, SLab lost 12 constituencies at Holyrood 2016, many with the SNP under 50% of the vote, Tory and LD tactical voting would win them back and likely deliver a Unionist majority in the process
    Trouble is that the list seat winning requirements then adjust to counterbalance that, to some degree.

And if I were a Tory, would I want to vote for Richard Leonard? A real live trade unionist? [I personally have no objection to TUs - but your mob utterly hate them, beyond all sanity.]
    Only to a limited extent, if the SNP lost say 6 constituency seats to SLab and SLab held all their other constituency seats and the SNP also lost 1 or 2 seats like Moray to the Tories then they would likely only pick up 1 or 2 seats on the list at most as it would not be enough to stop the SNP comfortably winning a majority of constituency votes but could be enough for a narrow Unionist majority on the combined total of constituency and list MSPs.

I suspect given what I have been hearing from some SCons they may even hold their nose and vote for Leonard if they live in the central belt and Tory on the list this time such is their loathing for the SNP
    You're also making the mistake of equating SNP = independence. The Greens are also pro indy. On that projection it's 77 for indy and 52 for Union - a fair margin. You'd need the SNP + Greens to lose 13 seatys.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Would such a pardon be enforceable? Even if this story is true, which seems a bit unlikely.
    Why wouldnt it be valid for federal crimes? Even a self pardon might be enforceable. AIUI state crimes would still be open so exile might be his best option.
    Is it enforceable as part of what amounts to a plea bargain? That’s my question.

Remember the American 'justice' system is systemically biased against poor people then the man who only paid $750 in tax in 2016 is more buggered than a turtle on its back.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,069
    guybrush said:

guybrush said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Outstanding piece.

Hear hear, but then Cyclefree’s headers are always outstanding.

Sadly though, none of what she outlines is in any way surprising. Parliaments have been becoming more and more supine over the last seventy years, and the empty suits left behind are the logical culmination of the lobby fodder tendency.
    And that point rather undermines the force of @Cyclefree's clarion cry for freedom, liberty and the rule of law. If Parliament is given a vote what are they likely to do with it? This is not the dog days of the May fiasco where the government had no kind of a grip over Parliament and could not get its way. Boris has a majority of 80. He has enough lick spittle, greasy poll climbers to win. Some want to make a noise but it will be a tale of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Which actually makes it all the more remarkable that Boris and Hancock have not had the votes really. Labour would probably abstain under SKS's dynamic leadership and any minor revolt would be readily put down.
    Part of the problem is the idea that the government must always win. Failure is actually good for organisations.

What banking needs, for example, is more bank failures. If you screw up, your bank goes bust. The Bank of England calls everyone in, and the rescue is divided up. Instead we have mega banks that cannot possibly fail.

We were discussing audit the other day - if something dodgy in the accounts is presented in public, it;'s a disaster. So minor problems are carpeted over until the day the shit hits the fan - and everyones get covered.

In parliament, a single defeat is The End of The Government. So, not surprisingly, great efforts are made to ensure that the lobby fodder behaves. All the time. So, you end up with the optimum state for a government - a large number of employees.
    I understand the theory but the chaos of the do nothing remainer Parliament is a dark shadow of despair and indecision. Having a government that can actually govern still has a novelty factor to it.
    I agree the voters wanted a government that could govern and get Brexit done.
    They in their wisdom thought that that was the main priority over any other policy.
    Any government with an 80 to 100 majority in essence is an elected dictatorship in this country.
    Agreed but a constructive and engaged opposition can still make a difference and sharpen the thinking of those in office. Not much chance of that under Corbyn of course but I honestly expected SKS to be better.
    Hard to make a difference when the government has just obtained a 80 seat majority and a world wide pandemic is ongoing .Then the new PM gets very ill with the virus, in its honeymoon period.
    However I would argue SKS has done a good job in opposition taking initial steps to get voters to take another look at them under new leadership.From where they were in the polls to now is encouraging.
    That 80 seat majority is extremely brittle. Boris is loathed by a large part of the parliamentary party, he's made loads of unnecessary enemies over keeping the c*** in place and now his high handed way of ruling over the party has riled up northern MPs. Even Tory party support is a mile wide and an inch deep at the moment. A better opposition party would be trouncing Boris, all of the supplementals are dire, the heading in the right/wrong direction is horrific for the party.
    I genuinely don’t think anyone else in Labour would be doing any better
    Than Boris? I agree.
    Keir would obviously do a better job than Johnson. Johnson has been the worst PM of the last 100 years.
    Can we forget about Thatcher so soon?
    She may not have been likeable to many, but she most definitely a leader. Bozo the Clown may likeable to many, but anyone can see he has zero leadership qualities.
    He's infinitely a better leader than May was. Hence why he was able to lead the Party in a General Election and able to lead the UK out of the EU.

But you're so besotten by the EU that you can't accept any variance.
    Your rose tinted spectacles really suit you!
    Johnson has fought 4 elections and won them all, including not just the landslide General Election but he led the Leave campaign too. The idea he lacks leadership qualities is absurd. He's one of the most successful politicians of his generation.
    But what's he actually done with all those wins? He was London Mayor for 8 years. What's the thing that was his idea (which rules out the bikes and the Olympics) that he carried through on and bequeathed to a grateful city?

Because without that, why is he bothering to get his name on the honours board?
    Erm... the new Routemaster?

I guess the one thing you can say about his premiership is he kept the show on the road, shielding London through the worst of austerity, delivering the Olympics and keeping investment into transport flowing. This was through keeping decent relations with the Government (being in the same party helped massively) and effective delegation.

Many cuts to Fire, Policing, and TfL have come on Sadiq's watch, some self enforced (fare cut), some which were out of his control (loss of TfL gmt grant). However overdue and necessary they might be, it doesn't look great for a Labour mayor.
    Keeping investment into transport flowing? One of his first acts as mayor was to cancel a planned river crossing to the east, as a result of which every time something happens in the Blackwall tunnel the whole of SE London gets gridlocked. And then he spaffed tens of millions up the wall on the ultimate luvvie vanity project of the Garden Bridge instead. He was a fucking disastrous mayor.
    He could have done better of course. Many poor decisions were made. But Crossrail was protected (I don't think this was a certainty), as well as various tube upgrades.

I mention the Routemaster in an ironic sense, an intrinsically flawed concept given contemporary H&S laws given a funky aesthetic by one of his luvvie designers.
    Actually construction had started before the 2010 election and both Labour and the Tories had finishing the project in their manifestos, so I don't think Johnson had much to do with Crossrail.
    The buses look nice from the outside, thus revealing that Johnson's main interest in buses is what they look like for people who don't travel by bus.
    People who observed his tenure in City Hall up close all tell the same story: he had no real interest in London and left his deputies to do all the work. It was all just a stepping stone to ever greater power.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    IIRC Pence can't pardon state level crimes, and I'm sure Cuomo would be happy to look at Trump's crimes for many years.
    The Department of Justice seems to agree with you:

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardon-information-and-instructions

So if he does resign, is pardoned, and is then prosecuted, the irony would be delicious.
    Hence the suggestion in the Tweet about the NY Prosecutor dismissing charges. (Presumably if they were dismissed with prejudice, them they would not be able to be refiled.)
    It makes no sense. Why would the NY prosecutor want to back off? And even if that did happen, and even if it were binding on possible future cases in NY, there are plenty of other states where Trump has operated.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Is the chap on the left meant to be

1) Chris Witty
    2) Dom Cummings
    3) Somebody else? If so, who?

https://twitter.com/bobscartoons/status/1314984255160713217

He looks like a slimmed down IDS.

But I am guessing Whitty.
    Nah, has to be Cummings.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Remember the American 'justice' system is systemically biased against poor people then the man who only paid $750 in tax in 2016 is more buggered than a turtle on its back.
    You’re clearly still sore about that comment I made on David’s article, aren’t you?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

From 2017 to 2019 when we had a hung parliament, parliament effectively ran the country, May was the weakest PM for decades.

No surprise now the Tories have a majority of 80 we have a much stronger executive as a result and Boris is more able to deliver firm action

The best description of the 2017-19 Parliament arguably comes from Elliot's The Hollow Men:

Shape without form, shade without colour,
    Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Pretty much sums it up to me.
    People in this country have no idea how representative democracy is supposed to work. It's more annoying when it comes from people who should know better, like yourself.

Are you seriously suggesting that a decent Tory leader couldn't have reached out across parliament and found a consensus for honouring the abysmal referendum and not shitting the bed too much? Like a Norway for 10 years (com)promise?

Tories (and Labour) want and expect absolute power, and struggle to function as representatives without it.

Aided and abetted by the likes of you.

Well this shitshow is what you wanted. Lap it up.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088

RobD said:

Trump live on Sky

Chants 'four more years'

He's tempered his ambitions a bit.
    I may have worded that incorrectly, the crowd were chanting four more years
    Four years seems an incredibly short sentence for (alleged) money laundering and racketeering.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

You’re clearly still sore about that comment I made on David’s article, aren’t you?
    Yes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited October 2020
    Disgusting.

This is how they treat the only non white member of the Royal family, no wonder Meghan and Harry left the nasty family.

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1314994091676119040
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    IIRC Pence can't pardon state level crimes, and I'm sure Cuomo would be happy to look at Trump's crimes for many years.
    The Department of Justice seems to agree with you:

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardon-information-and-instructions

So if he does resign, is pardoned, and is then prosecuted, the irony would be delicious.
    Hence the suggestion in the Tweet about the NY Prosecutor dismissing charges. (Presumably if they were dismissed with prejudice, them they would not be able to be refiled.)
    It makes no sense. Why would the NY prosecutor want to back off? And even if that did happen, and even if it were binding on possible future cases in NY, there are plenty of other states where Trump has operated.
    AFAIUI, the SDNY cases relate to tax, and in particular the transference of the assets of the Fred Trump empire to Donald without taxes. It is therefore an order of magnitude more serious to the President than any other investigations.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2020
    So the contents of the trump speech is basically, "I have seen I have got some swing to me from black and Latino voters and I will now try and cement it"
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Imagine a world in which the government proposes some legislation. It may or may not go through Parliament. If it doesn't - well, that's democracy. Everyone cheers.

You do realise this is quite common in countries with less useless electoral systems?
  • Options

Disgusting.

This is how they treat the only non white member of the Royal family, no wonder Meghan and Harry left the nasty family.

If I could be so bold as to offer the lovely Meghan some advice. Wear a seat belt!
  • Options
    Remember that the SDNY is a federal office, not a state one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Disgusting.

Isn't the problem that she's an American?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,251
    HYUFD said:

If that was true there would be no lockdown in northern areas
    Rather like the "Thatcher didn't care about football fans"

If she didn't care, then mandating the owners had to rebuild their death traps wouldn't have happened. Or the extensive policing of football matches which costs a fortune (partially funded by the clubs, true).
  • Options
    Been a small but noticeable shift in the markets towards Biden today.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    RobD said:

Disgusting.

That sounds like Buck House pleading the Lord Astor defence. (Courtesy of MRD)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    guybrush said:

malcolmg said:

guybrush said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Bad day in Scotland re covid deaths but given on here we always hear that it is only over 80's that are at risk , these seem strange.
    The location of the 6 new deaths today are:

- 2 in East Ayrshire
    - 1 in East Renfrewshire
    - 2 in Glasgow
    - 1 in North Lanarkshire

and the ages are:

- 1 in the 25-44 range
    - 1 in the 45-64 range
    - 2 in the 65-74 range
    - 2 in the 75-84 range

Errrmmm try a similar sub section with party polling and you would get rightly challenged on here . Somehow maths doesn't matter when Covid-19 arguments come out though.
    What you wittering about you halfwit, I am merely pointing out that counter to the mince posted by some selfish halfwits on here it is not only over 80's are dying , subsample or not.
    Malcolm, I don't think anyone's saying that. If you look at the stats (rather than a small sample from one day), the risk is clearly weighted towards those 70+ and with existing conditions.
    I understand that but I was just pointing out that it is not only over 80's at risk.
    Obviously any age with underlying health issues are also at risk. Some people on here are very cavalier re taking precautions as it is only old codgers at risk, whining and whinging because young people cannot go to the pub etc.
    I wouldn't condone whinging about not going to the pub (I don't drink, fwiw). But I think there is a discussion to be had about the costs of lockdown (economic, and social - the complete destruction of everyday life beyond all recognition), which fall disproportionately on the young - whereas the risks fall mainly on older age groups. The discrepancy between death rates between age groups is quite stark - my parents who are in their sixties were surprised how good their odds were - which I put down to media hype (some may say scaremongering).

Obviously the answer, at the moment is somewhere between business as usual and locking everything down hard and shuttering the economy. I'm not really seeing the nuanced debate. A lot of people seem to be suggesting we can eliminate all Covid related risk, which obviously isn't possible and ignores the secondary affects of lockdown. Which affect both young and old, of course.
    Agree, they have had over 6 months to come up with a plan that covers both options and all they have done is line their chums pockets , run about like headless chickens, make an arse of things and line their chums pockets some more
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only to a limited extent, if the SNP lost say 6 constituency seats to SLab and SLab held all their other constituency seats and the SNP also lost 1 or 2 seats like Moray to the Tories then they would likely only pick up 1 or 2 seats on the list at most as it would not be enough to stop the SNP comfortably winning a majority of constituency seats and reducing any list compensation but could be enough for a narrow Unionist majority on the combined total of constituency and list MSPs.

I suspect given what I have been hearing from some SCons they may even hold their nose and vote for SLab if they live in the central belt and Tory on the list this time such is their loathing for the SNP
    Losers
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Alistair said:

Remember that the SDNY is a federal office, not a state one.

So it is...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes.
    Well, I think you took your crown back with that one.

You must admit though, it was a brilliant opening.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Disgusting.

She abandoned her royal duties after a vast taxpayer funded wedding to go and live in a $10 million mansion in California with her husband charging hundreds of thousands of dollars a time for speeches, I have zero sympathy, there are always a few snooty courtiers
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Answer this for me: if Boris is going to ignore the SNP anyway, why does it matter if they get a majority or not?
    It is obviously easier if there is a Unionist majority as you don't have to refuse indyref2 anyway
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    I was going to say...that jewish news twitter handle doesn't even have a proper website, it just goes to a dodgy looking. facebook page.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    An article absolutely on topic.

This Government aren't just incompetent, they are positively malign.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Alistair said:
    I was going to say...that jewish news twitter handle doesn't even have a proper website, it just goes to a dodgy looking. facebook page.
    John Cooper has posted some absolute nonsense over the last month. As the bloke says it is pure fanfic nonsense.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You're also making the mistake of equating SNP = independence. The Greens are also pro indy. On that projection it's 77 for indy and 52 for Union - a fair margin. You'd need the SNP + Greens to lose 13 seatys.
    Very doable, if the SNP lose 9 constituency seats from that projection (which they would if SLab gain 6 and hold 3 rather than their projected 0 seats) it only needs SCons and SLDs to win 2 constituencies each or Galloway's Party to win a handful of seats at the Greens expense and there is your Unionist majority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Disgusting.

She abandoned her royal duties after a vast taxpayer funded wedding to go and live in a $10 million mansion in California with her husband charging hundreds of thousands of dollars a time for speeches, I have zero sympathy, there are always a few snooty courtiers
    I would suggest the miscreant is a little more senior than a snooty courtier.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Disgusting.

So was the Duchess of Windsor Wallace Simpson, who spent most of her time with the Duke of Windsor in exile in Paris and the south of France much as the Sussexes are in exile in California
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is obviously easier if there is a Unionist majority as you don't have to refuse indyref2 anyway
    However you interpret the percentage vote, the independence train has already left the station, and Boris Johnson was the guard who blew the whistle.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,739
    A terrific new ad is airing for Joe Biden with Cindy McCain .

You can find it on YouTube under the heading “Cindy McCain releases her Joe Biden endorsement advert “.

The ad is being aired nationally in tonight’s NFL fixtures aswell as more widely in Arizona . The standout messaging from his campaign has been to highlight his empathy and compassion and willingness to work across the aisle .

McCains endorsement is a big deal in Arizona and she’s well known throughout the USA.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    HYUFD said:

Very doable, if the SNP lose 9 constituency seats from that projection (which they would if SLab gain 6 and hold 3 rather than their projected 0 seats) it only needs SCons and SLDs to win 2 constituencies each or Galloway's Party to win a handful of seats at the Greens expense and there is your Unionist majority

Presumably the line is still that IF Labour win more seats than the Conservatives but there are enough seats for a Unionist majority at Holyrood, the Conservatives should support a Labour FM.

To go a step further, would you advocate Conservatives holding a proportional number of Cabinet positions - say five along with perhaps one LD and five Labour under the Labour FM?

• Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

However you interpret the percentage vote, the independence train has already left the station, and Boris Johnson was the guard who blew the whistle.
    Rubbish, Yes got 45% of the vote in the independence referendum in 2014 even before the EU referendum, if Brexit really was decisive Yes would comfortably be polling well over 60%+ not just a few percent more than it got before Brexit
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only to a limited extent, if the SNP lost say 6 constituency seats to SLab and SLab held all their other constituency seats and the SNP also lost 1 or 2 seats like Moray to the Tories then they would likely only pick up 1 or 2 seats on the list at most as it would not be enough to stop the SNP comfortably winning a majority of constituency seats and reducing any list compensation but could be enough for a narrow Unionist majority on the combined total of constituency and list MSPs.

I suspect given what I have been hearing from some SCons they may even hold their nose and vote for SLab if they live in the central belt and Tory on the list this time such is their loathing for the SNP
    IF x IF x IF x possibly = SNP failure! That’s a stretch, even for you.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Presumably the line is still that IF Labour win more seats than the Conservatives but there are enough seats for a Unionist majority at Holyrood, the Conservatives should support a Labour FM.

To go a step further, would you advocate Conservatives holding a proportional number of Cabinet positions - say five along with perhaps one LD and five Labour under the Labour FM?

If the SNP win most seats then Sturgeon can remain as First Minister, just without the nationalist majority she needs for indyref2. The aim is to neuter Sturgeon, replacing her as FM is less important, though if Sturgeon sees a Unionist majority next year expect Salmond to be on the move and an SNP civil war in due course.
  • Options
    Looks like system failure at PHE counting the covid cases.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:
    The ASA is as just about as sanctimonious as Andrew Adonis.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited October 2020
    Activity survey in the Construction Sector:

Key findings from the FMB State of Trade Survey, the only survey of its kind to track the experience of small to medium-sized (SME) firms in the building industry, include:

- 1 in 2 builders (47%) reported increased workloads in the summer months;
    - More than 2 in 5 (42%) predict higher workloads in the autumn;
    - More than three quarters (78%) of builders said they expect material costs to increase over the next two months;
    - Almost 1 in 5 (17%) SMEs is planning to increase the number of general labourers on site in the months ahead; and
    - Almost 1 in 5 (16%) SMEs is planning to increase the number of specialist tradespeople on site.

https://www.propertytribes.com/skip-index-builders-report-busy-summer-t-127649304.html

I need to order a new UPVC door to be inserted for a T, and this morning I am told that my regular supplier will need 2 months to deliver, and my regular fitter will not be able to do the job until after Christmas.

When the budget comes around, Dishy Rishi will do a further GHG package because the work is there and needs to be done.
  • Options
    Mango said:

Imagine a world in which the government proposes some legislation. It may or may not go through Parliament. If it doesn't - well, that's democracy. Everyone cheers.

You do realise this is quite common in countries with less useless electoral systems?
    It's not the electoral system that is the issue. It is the political culture - not just the politicians - the press and public are part of it to.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Labour is now at 18% for Holyrood elections, I would expect the party to poll 22% - 25% at a Westminster election.
  • Options
    Opinium has another tie
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 236
  • Options
    Opinium has the parties back level pegging at 40%. LDs on 6% Greens on 3%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, Yes got 45% of the vote in the independence referendum in 2014 even before the EU referendum, if Brexit really was decisive Yes would comfortably be polling well over 60%+ not just a few percent more than it got before Brexit
    Scotland is as good as gone! Their bags are packed and in the hotel foyer, they are simply waiting for the taxi that the concierge has alresdy called.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland is as good as gone! Their bags are packed and in the hotel foyer, they are simply waiting for the taxi that the concierge has alresdy called.
    Rubbish, Scotland voted 62% Remain, if that was true post Brexit Yes should be on 62%.

It is still well below that
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Looks like system failure at PHE counting the covid cases.

Run out of fingers and toes this time?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But is it the Hotel California?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not so. 53% - 47% is a far from decisive margin - particularly when it relates to an extended period of daily party political coverage for Nicola Sturgeon. It is also unclear from the Holyrood poll that the SNP will win a majority there next May.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    edited October 2020
    RobD said:

Disgusting.

So either racist or anti-American? Or both?

Glad we’ve established there’s a bigot at the palace.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

RobD said:

Disgusting.

Only one?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

Disgusting.

More that Americans in the royal family do not have a good track record.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

The polls do seem to indicate a slight movement to the Conservatives and away from Labour

It is quote extraordinary why Labour are not well ahead

Reading this forum you would think the conservatives are consigned to defeat

Maybe but far from convincing at present
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But is it the Hotel California?
    Not any more. They have checked out, and the porter is helping them out to their taxi, and his name is Boris.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not so. 53% - 47% is a far from decisive margin - particularly when it relates to an extended period of daily party political coverage for Nicola Sturgeon. It is also unclear from the Holyrood poll that the SNP will win a majority there next May.
    Has anyone ever seen Hyufd and Justin together? #justasking
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

The polls do seem to indicate a slight movement to the Conservatives and away from Labour

Bless, you're reading way too much into sub MOE changes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Disgusting.

It seems possible she is objectionable in her own right, of course. Harry clearly wants to be shooting pheasant and drinking beer with his mates and going to army dinners in the UK. Best they just get the divorce in sooner than later, and everyone is happy.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

Are you saying labour shouldn't be ahead
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Disgusting.

It seems possible she is objectionable in her own right, of course. Harry clearly wants to be shooting pheasant and drinking beer with his mates and going to army dinners in the UK. Best they just get the divorce in sooner than later, and everyone is happy.
    I think you misunderstimate the power of love.

The power of love is a curious thing,
    Make a one man weep, make another man sing,
    Change a hawk to a little white dove,
    More than a feeling, that's the power of love.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Disgusting.

Temporarily. Trust me on this.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

Paragraph 3. Do you think we (and in particular, the Government) can avoid the economic catastrophe on its way?
  • Options

1) Chris Witty
    2) Dom Cummings

Well we're a long way behind compared to Whitty's prediction graph.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Disgusting.

Temporarily. Trust me on this.
    Maybe.

Remember, just because I love someone doesn't mean I like them.
  • Options

1) Chris Witty
    2) Dom Cummings

Well we're a long way behind compared to Whitty's prediction graph.
    Except it wasn't a prediction, they said it was a projection if behaviour wasn't changed, behaviour has changed slightly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Disgusting.

More that Americans in the royal family do not have a good track record.
    Right, so on the basis of the tiny sample we have, we’ll hound all of them out. Enlightened attitude from the palace then.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

Paragraph 3. Do you think we (and in particular, the Government) can avoid the economic catastrophe on its way?
    Who knows.

But there are going to be winners as well as losers and plenty who will receive little impact.
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:
    Doesn't this mean that OGH is a celebrity?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Disgusting.

Its also possible that everyone involved is objectionable.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

No - absolutely not

But will labour be trusted more in this impending economic armageddon

Answer that and you have the key to the next GE
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

Are you saying labour shouldn't be ahead
    Yes and no.

We're in a once a century pandemic event.

Given how the leadership ratings/best PM scores are, Sir Keir will take that.
  • Options

MattW said:

HYUFD said:
    Although of course we all know the real measure of celebrity is the number of awesome puns somebody produces.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:
    Although of course we all know the real measure of celebrity is the number of awesome puns somebody produces.
    Q: What kind of music do wind turbines like?

A: They're huge metal fans.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

When I say the same thing I get shouted down. Why do PB Tories not treat themselves the same I wonder
  • Options
    15,166 new cases.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    HYUFD said:
    The 2021 Local Elections are huge for both leaders IMO
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:
    Q: What kind of music do wind turbines like?

A: They're huge metal fans.
    https://xkcd.com/1378/
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

Who knows.

But there are going to be winners as well as losers and plenty who will receive little impact.
    I am a natural pessimist, so I see what is coming down the line will hit more people hard than it will avoid.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited October 2020
    Q: Did you hear that the Egyptian tomb they opened this week was stuffed full of wafer, nuts, and chocolate?

A: Archaeologists think it was Pharaoh Rocher.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

Q: Did you hear that the Egyptian tomb they opened this week was stuffed full of wafer, nuts, and chocolate?

With these puns you are really spoiling us.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280

IshmaelZ said:

Disgusting.

But there was this story in the Mail today, which I found interesting..

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8825367/amp/Prince-Harry-face-telling-Queen-Palace-staff-told-prepare-return.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16023182198979&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8825367/Prince-Harry-face-telling-Queen-Palace-staff-told-prepare-return.html

• Options

With these puns you are really spoiling us.
    If you want spoiling with food....

I went to a cannibal restaurant last night.

It was £25 a head.
  • Options

Opinium has another tie

Who knows.

I am a natural pessimist, so I see what is coming down the line will hit more people hard than it will avoid.
    Certainly possible.

Much of the service sector will get the sort of shake up which manufacturing received in the 70s and 80s with varying levels of intensity and speed.
  • Options
    Did you hear about the two robbers who stole a calendar?

They got six months each.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115
    edited October 2020

15,166 new cases.

Today's rate of cases on the island of Ireland is quite a bit higher than on the island of Britain.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Disgusting.

But there was this story in the Mail today, which I found interesting..

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8825367/amp/Prince-Harry-face-telling-Queen-Palace-staff-told-prepare-return.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16023182198979&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8825367/Prince-Harry-face-telling-Queen-Palace-staff-told-prepare-return.html

Saw a similar story.
This discussion has been closed.