Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson gets negative satisfaction ratings from Tory party members – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,946
    The last negative test question which refuses to be answered by his doctors suggests that Trump might not have been tested before the first debate .
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

The thing which I can't get my head round is, if Trump is in so much trouble, why it is not being picked up more in tales from within his political campaign. No one wants to be associated with a loser. We have also had various stories about GOP Senators such as McNally, Tillis, Collins and Graham being in trouble, suggesting Republican sources are happy to talk to the press, but - outside those in the Republican party who don't like Trump - few who are saying that Trump's campaign is floundering.

If anything, where Trump was visiting before his illness, suggested he was thinking of expanding the map, including places such as MN, NV and NH. We have also had stories from within the Democratic camp suggesting they are having trouble motivating voters in Wisconsin and Latinos in Florida.

Now that may be classic bullsh1tting and projecting strength from Trump and it may be the polls are absolutely spot on (the ones with the big Biden leads) but it feels odd.

Let's try it the other way - the ghost of 2016 still stalks the political land.

There are, I suspect, many who are secretly terrified that somehow, despite the majority of polls showing otherwise, Trump and his supporters will conjure victory from the jaws of defeat and those who win have long memories and won't forget those who were defeatist.

There is a clear passion and enthusiasm among Trump's supporters - that is evident. He is almost worshipped by his supporters but there were those who backed Walter Mondale in 1984 or the Conservatives in 1997 and believed in them but that didn't stop them being trounced. Sometimes, it's the most faithful who are the most blind. Yes, Trump evokes that in his supporters - the problem is there aren't as many as there were.

Among Democrats there can be no complacency, no confidence in success. Just as there were those Labour activists who simply could not believe how well they were doing in 1997, there are doubtless Democrats who see every nuance of a wobble in Wisconsin or hesitation among Hispanics and magnify those into election-losing and remember the defeat of 2016 and cannot bring themselves to believe in victory. It's all about caution ,fighting for every vote in the battleground states.

Biden doesn't elicit the same enthusiasm as Trump but he doesn't need to - he just needs people to vote for him or against Trump - in the end, it won't matter.

Sometimes, the polls are right - it's just those reading them who are wrong.
    I agree totally with that, and it all makes sense. But sometimes it is actually the data that is wrong.

I remembered reading "Shattered" about the Hillary Clinton campaign and how it completely messed up the situation. It's worth looking at the NYT review on Amazon of the book: " It's the story of a wildly dysfunctional and 'spirit-crushing' campaign that embraced a flawed strategy (based on flawed data) that failed, repeatedly, to correct course". I actually feel like the Biden campaign know things are tighter than they appear (there doesn't really feel to be too much of a push to places like Georgia and Texas, which you think they would do if they thought they were in with a chance) so it is not making the mistakes of Clinton there but the point re the quality of the data remains the same.

We all focus on here about whether the polls were right in 2016 or not, and which ones are the Gold Standard but what I think has been forgotten is that, in 2016, nobody could even imagine Trump was going to be elected. That is why you could get 6/1 on him on the day. If the polls were so accurate back then as everyone seems to think now, and the lead between Trump and Clinton they were showing was supposedly so narrow, why was he at such odds? There was no reason he should have been, especially in a two-horse race and where the Democrats were looking to win the Presidency three times on the trot. He was 6/1 because nobody believed he had a chance and also because we were all assured that Clinton's campaign was so great, efficient, organised and so on. It was only when everyone looked under the bonnet afterwards and realised how bad things were.

I get the same feeling with Biden's campaign. Maybe it's my bias that makes me feel that way and, for that reason alone, I would bet heavily one way or the other. But it has that same leaden feel to it. Uninspiring candidate (and VP candidate); reliance on dislike of his opponent; no real policies people can remember or relate to; and a reliance on a "virtual" campaigning strategy which seems to be ringing alarm bells amongst some operatives and which they are now changing.

BUT... the dislike for Trump is at least as angry and passionate as the support for him used to be. So, while I think that the Biden campaign are totally correct to focus on just getting to victory, I think there is certainly a potential for a serious of "Portillo moments", for example, losing both McConnell and Graham and maybe even Texas. The Dems are very motivated indeed and the is plenty of evidence that they are coming out to vote.

The fact is that a large number of rock ribbed Republicans also won't have Trump at any price - and the Lincoln Project is having an effect. People are just tired of the constant shit show in the White House, so while I think people are right to be emotionally scared, the numbers and the mood music points far more to a Biden-Harris landslide than to another EC screw up that lets the Fake 45 back into the White House.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Alistair said:

alex_ said:

Is it not possible that the pumping of Trump with all manner of drugs, including steroids, could be giving him a false impression of how energetic he feels. Some sort of an adrenalin rush or something.

And once the effects wear off he will go back to where he was before?

Trump is going to be hopped up on the juju juice from now till election day.
    Drug test before the debate please!
  • Options
    And still got that nifty embroidered jacket!

As equally ill-qualified medico-politico advisor, am strongly urging employment of (medical) leaches: suck early and often!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:
    You gotta wonder if Trump is himself the superspreader, and a bigly one too.

This has come from one of my spies, it shows fairly clear lung fields, but can anyone spot the problem?

@Foxy - can you please clarify for us non-medical types? Does he have the bone structure of a Reticulan alien invader?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Trump approval -17 in poll currently in the field: https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1313210941899710464
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    BF is unfrozen by the way.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Plus Biden now up by 4 in North Carolina, where Trump won by 4 in 2016. Polling all conducted after Trump's hospitalisation.

PPP are a B-rated pollster but it's not insignificant. There have now been a series of polls showing Biden leading in NC so I've moved the state into the Biden column on my mastermap.

Just the News (JTN) have a new national poll carried out for them by Scott Rasmussen:

https://justthenews.com/sites/default/files/2020-10/HRCT.pdf

To be fair, it's more about Trump losing ground than Biden gaining but the net effect is poor for the President as Biden now leads 51-43. Among White voters Trump leads 50-44 (compared with 58-37 in 2016) so that's a 7.5% swing to Biden so any improvement Trump has made among Hispanics for example is more than offset by his deteriorating position among White voters.

In 2016, Trump won male voters 54-41 now Biden leads 49-47 - that's also a 7.5% swing. Among women, there's been little change. Trump has lost support among the group you'd perhaps least expect - white men.
    Trump is back ahead with over 65s though in that poll and leads all voters over 45 but Biden's big lead with younger voters, especially under 35s, puts him in front.

Trump is also doing better with black voters than he did in 2016, on 12% to 8% then, the swing against him is mainly with young white voters
    He is an abomination
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    I see they’ve taken up my suggestion, post the S Carolina debate:

Plexiglass to separate Harris and Pence at VP debate
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/05/plexiglass-harris-and-pence-vp-debate-426514
    Pence's campaign opposed the move.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

The thing which I can't get my head round is, if Trump is in so much trouble, why it is not being picked up more in tales from within his political campaign. No one wants to be associated with a loser. We have also had various stories about GOP Senators such as McNally, Tillis, Collins and Graham being in trouble, suggesting Republican sources are happy to talk to the press, but - outside those in the Republican party who don't like Trump - few who are saying that Trump's campaign is floundering.

If anything, where Trump was visiting before his illness, suggested he was thinking of expanding the map, including places such as MN, NV and NH. We have also had stories from within the Democratic camp suggesting they are having trouble motivating voters in Wisconsin and Latinos in Florida.

Now that may be classic bullsh1tting and projecting strength from Trump and it may be the polls are absolutely spot on (the ones with the big Biden leads) but it feels odd.

There are, I suspect, many who are secretly terrified that somehow, despite the majority of polls showing otherwise, Trump and his supporters will conjure victory from the jaws of defeat and those who win have long memories and won't forget those who were defeatist.

There is a clear passion and enthusiasm among Trump's supporters - that is evident. He is almost worshipped by his supporters but there were those who backed Walter Mondale in 1984 or the Conservatives in 1997 and believed in them but that didn't stop them being trounced. Sometimes, it's the most faithful who are the most blind. Yes, Trump evokes that in his supporters - the problem is there aren't as many as there were.

Among Democrats there can be no complacency, no confidence in success. Just as there were those Labour activists who simply could not believe how well they were doing in 1997, there are doubtless Democrats who see every nuance of a wobble in Wisconsin or hesitation among Hispanics and magnify those into election-losing and remember the defeat of 2016 and cannot bring themselves to believe in victory. It's all about caution ,fighting for every vote in the battleground states.

Biden doesn't elicit the same enthusiasm as Trump but he doesn't need to - he just needs people to vote for him or against Trump - in the end, it won't matter.

I agree totally with that, and it all makes sense. But sometimes it is actually the data that is wrong.

I remembered reading "Shattered" about the Hillary Clinton campaign and how it completely messed up the situation. It's worth looking at the NYT review on Amazon of the book: " It's the story of a wildly dysfunctional and 'spirit-crushing' campaign that embraced a flawed strategy (based on flawed data) that failed, repeatedly, to correct course". I actually feel like the Biden campaign know things are tighter than they appear (there doesn't really feel to be too much of a push to places like Georgia and Texas, which you think they would do if they thought they were in with a chance) so it is not making the mistakes of Clinton there but the point re the quality of the data remains the same.

We all focus on here about whether the polls were right in 2016 or not, and which ones are the Gold Standard but what I think has been forgotten is that, in 2016, nobody could even imagine Trump was going to be elected. That is why you could get 6/1 on him on the day. If the polls were so accurate back then as everyone seems to think now, and the lead between Trump and Clinton they were showing was supposedly so narrow, why was he at such odds? There was no reason he should have been, especially in a two-horse race and where the Democrats were looking to win the Presidency three times on the trot. He was 6/1 because nobody believed he had a chance and also because we were all assured that Clinton's campaign was so great, efficient, organised and so on. It was only when everyone looked under the bonnet afterwards and realised how bad things were.

I get the same feeling with Biden's campaign. Maybe it's my bias that makes me feel that way and, for that reason alone, I would bet heavily one way or the other. But it has that same leaden feel to it. Uninspiring candidate (and VP candidate); reliance on dislike of his opponent; no real policies people can remember or relate to; and a reliance on a "virtual" campaigning strategy which seems to be ringing alarm bells amongst some operatives and which they are now changing.

I think has been forgotten is that, in 2016, nobody could even imagine Trump was going to be elected.

That's why Democrats didn't turn out in droves. It's how Trump won Wisconsin with fewer votes than Romney got.

And it's why I suspect that Trump loses this year. Because Trump winning is very real now.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Cicero said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

BUT... the dislike for Trump is at least as angry and passionate as the support for him used to be. So, while I think that the Biden campaign are totally correct to focus on just getting to victory, I think there is certainly a potential for a serious of "Portillo moments", for example, losing both McConnell and Graham and maybe even Texas. The Dems are very motivated indeed and the is plenty of evidence that they are coming out to vote.

The fact is that a large number of rock ribbed Republicans also won't have Trump at any price - and the Lincoln Project is having an effect. People are just tired of the constant shit show in the White House, so while I think people are right to be emotionally scared, the numbers and the mood music points far more to a Biden-Harris landslide than to another EC screw up that lets the Fake 45 back into the White House.
    I’d agree a lot of people hate Trump and that will be motivating. That’s why you have seen those queues in the likes of Myrtle Beach.

But hate can only get you a certain percent of the population, despite what it seems like on Twitter. Most people want what is best for them, not to live in a perpetual version of the two minute hate.

It’s why I think Clinton’s - and Biden’s - strategies were flawed. They relied on dislike on the other side. Sure, Biden has announced some big plans but it’s clear he is doing it to quieten the more left wing members (who, in a Biden win, I suspect would be chucked to the walls).

Who knows?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited October 2020
    Numerous posts on here today about the problems with excel.

But surely the point is that the senior people in charge - at PHE, Dept of Health etc should have had a broad feel for the numbers - they shouldn't have to wait for numbers to come out of Excel and then blindly accept them.

The MD of a big business doesn't just wait for the Finance Dept to report the numbers and then blindly accept them - the MD will have a broad feeling for how business is going.

Moving down the chain of command - if a Finance Manager gets their assistant to prepare a spreadsheet they shouldn't just blindly accept the result that pops out - they should review it and do a reasonableness check etc.

The big question is why didn't the people in charge have a feel for the numbers?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

I think has been forgotten is that, in 2016, nobody could even imagine Trump was going to be elected.

That's why Democrats didn't turn out in droves. It's how Trump won Wisconsin with fewer votes than Romney got.

And it's why I suspect that Trump loses this year. Because Trump winning is very real now.
    Very like Corbyn 2017 vs 2019.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I did think Clinton in 2016 refusing to lie about Coal's prospects was a remarkable piece of honesty for a politician.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    edited October 2020

BF is unfrozen by the way.

Thanks for flagging this up.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,748

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

This has come from one of my spies, it shows fairly clear lung fields, but can anyone spot the problem?

@Foxy - can you please clarify for us non-medical types? Does he have the bone structure of a Reticulan alien invader?
    No heart...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No heart...
    Sounds about right ...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I did think Clinton in 2016 refusing to lie about Coal's prospects was a remarkable piece of honesty for a politician.
    Had fracking kicked off in the USA to the degree it has now ? Even Biden is pro-fracking, the USA does have vast swathes of land that aren't particularly near people in a way we simply don't though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Had fracking kicked off in the USA to the degree it has now ? Even Biden is pro-fracking, the USA does have vast swathes of land that aren't particularly near people in a way we simply don't though.
    Yes, fracking was full steam ahead in 2016, well known and mainstream.

Coal was obviously utterly doomed in 2016
  • Options
    Pence is back out at 120.

Punters think Trump has 'survived' the 'infection' his team claim he has had.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/05/plexiglass-harris-and-pence-vp-debate-426514

Because it reminds the viewers that the virus is still out there and Team Trump hate that.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Yes, fracking was full steam ahead in 2016, well known and mainstream.

Coal was obviously utterly doomed in 2016
    Some states have banned it. Most notably New York.
  • Options

Dems got as low as 1.44 today, now at 1.54
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    MrEd said:

Cicero said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

I’d agree a lot of people hate Trump and that will be motivating. That’s why you have seen those queues in the likes of Myrtle Beach.

But hate can only get you a certain percent of the population...
    50 odd % will do.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Except Trump won in 2016, Corbyn lost even in 2017.

Corbyn had to make gains in 2019 to win, he ended up losing votes, Trump just needs to hold his 2016 vote (with maybe a few extra Black and Hispanic votes) and hope Biden does not pick up enough third party 2016 votes
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,946
    CNN just now had a series of polls conducted 1st to the 4th of October .

The standout number 62% of over 65s disapprove of Trumps handling of covid .

60% overall say the same , the highest since the pandemic started .
  • Options
    HYUFD keeps repeating (and repeating) that young Blacks are more likely to vote for Trump in 2020 than they were in 2016.

Personally think this is load of malarkey.

Could HYUFD or some other kind (or otherwise) PBer please supply the source for the assertion? Preferably multiple sources, with margins of error for young African American voter sub-samples?

• Options

HYUFD keeps repeating (and repeating) that young Blacks are more likely to vote for Trump in 2020 than they were in 2016.

Could HYUFD or some other kind (or otherwise) PBer please supply the source for the assertion? Preferably multiple sources, with margins of error for young African American voter sub-samples?

The only polling I've seen is l young African Americans vs old African Americans not 2016 vs 2020
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Note that Pennsylvania is THE poster-child for fracking in USA today.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Macron has nothing to laugh at with just 3 million tests and Paris in crisis
  • Options
    nico679 said:

CNN just now had a series of polls conducted 1st to the 4th of October .

The standout number 62% of over 65s disapprove of Trumps handling of covid .

60% overall say the same , the highest since the pandemic started .

The best part about Biden's polling is that it's built so much on his appeal to over 65s, a very high propensity voting group. If Sanders had identical numbers against Trump I'd be much more nervous as it would likely be built on an unfathomably large 18 - 30 yr old lead... who then probably wouldn't bother voting.
  • Options

I already posted it, Trump's share of the Black vote is up to 12% from the 8% he got in 2016.

He also is back ahead with over 45s, including seniors over 65, the movement against him is mainly with young whites under 35 relative to 2016

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Scott_xP said:
    But France has total Covid deaths per million of 495 versus the UK's 623, so who's doing better?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Scott_xP said:
    But France has total Covid deaths per million of 495 versus the UK's 623, so who's doing better?

Given France has now had more cases overall than the UK and had 69 new Covid deaths today compared to just 19 in the UK come back to us in a month or two
  • Options
    If only someone had put a column limit on the Prime Minister...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I already posted it, Trump's share of the Black vote is up to 12% from the 8% he got in 2016.

He also is back ahead with over 45s, including seniors over 65, the movement against him is mainly with young whites under 35 relative to 2016

So re; young Black Americans, you are talking about ONE survey of unknown sub-sample margin of error?

NOT much to hang yer hat on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Corbyn had to make gains in 2019 to win, he ended up losing votes, Trump just needs to hold his 2016 vote (with maybe a few extra Black and Hispanic votes) and hope Biden does not pick up enough third party 2016 votes
    You are one of a very few Trump cheerleaders on here and you are going to see him wiped out in November

And good riddance
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Trump only won because of quirks of their voting system, with our voting system he'd have likely lost.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

If only someone had put a column limit on the Prime Minister...
    It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to introduce an Act of Parliament to give his columns direct effect in law.
  • Options

The fact that Trump is out of the hospital does not mean he is out of the woods. I hope he is, but the virus is weird. Relapses are far from unknown.
  • Options
    From coverage, the "release" of Trumpsky from Walter Reed to the (fully medically equipped) White House is LESS like Bojo Comes Home, and MORE like The Escape of Frankenstein.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

You are one of a very few Trump cheerleaders on here and you are going to see him wiped out in November

And good riddance
    No, I am not, I would vote for Biden in November (but Republican for Congress) as I would have voted for Hillary in 2016, I believe only MrEd on here and AveIt are Trump supporters
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Even your beloved Rasmussen has Biden 8 points ahead.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_sep30
  • Options
    It's a pastiche of how terrible the NYT is.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No one is

Everyone is having the battle of all battles as per Ireland tonight and now Italy

The idea Macron and Merkel have anythimg to be smug about is nonsense
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MikeL said:

But surely the point is that the senior people in charge - at PHE, Dept of Health etc should have had a broad feel for the numbers - they shouldn't have to wait for numbers to come out of Excel and then blindly accept them.

The MD of a big business doesn't just wait for the Finance Dept to report the numbers and then blindly accept them - the MD will have a broad feeling for how business is going.

Moving down the chain of command - if a Finance Manager gets their assistant to prepare a spreadsheet they shouldn't just blindly accept the result that pops out - they should review it and do a reasonableness check etc.

The big question is why didn't the people in charge have a feel for the numbers?

That's what I was saying yesterday. It baffles me that nobody spotted the issue, if not the cause, almost immediately. People in the chain of command should have had an idea of what to expect each day, and when they noticed a divergence at the very least they should start asking questions.
  • Options

The fact that Trump is out of the hospital does not mean he is out of the woods. I hope he is, but the virus is weird. Relapses are far from unknown.
    "Out of the hospital" is VERY technical in case of any President of the US.

Note that POTUS has fully-equipped & staffed medical facilities WHEREVER she or he may be.

Indeed, probably two just in case one is unavailable.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    "Existing emotional instability or psychotic tendencies may be aggravated by corticosteroids"

God help us.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

The reason for the big Boris vote IMHO.
    Prospect of PM Corbyn was not theoretical.
    Edit I see @Philip_Thompson has made the point.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_sep30
    If the election were tomorrow I think Biden would now narrowly win but there is still a month to go
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Nigelb said:
    So he is telling the truth.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No heart...
    But surely ANYONE being "X rayed" would have their heart visible?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    Alistair said:
    Sounds like a pretty fringe position even on the american right. No doubt she'll do great...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

If the election were tomorrow I think Biden would now narrowly win but there is still a month to go
    The black swan Trump the Indestructible is looking for is for Biden to catch the bug 10 days from polling day.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Do people just oppose things for the sake of it? It's not like these things are actual debates, who gives a shit if there's a honking piece of plexiglass in the way?
    Scott_xP said:
    I know the point will have been made, but you (and the memesters) presumably know France are doing barely better than the UK? There must be a shot of Merkel laughing with someone else to better make the point, but I assume it has less Brexity overtones?
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    "Existing emotional instability or psychotic tendencies may be aggravated by corticosteroids"

God help us.
    25th.

Now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

It's a theory that has much appeal to it, so fingers crossed. Like many I won't believe he's lost until the announcement. Probably not even then given how shameless some of his backers are.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

And good riddance
    No, I am not, I would vote for Biden in November (but Republican for Congress) as I would have voted for Hillary in 2016, I believe only MrEd on here and AveIt are Trump supporters
    I don't believe you. You're a Pollyanna for Trump.

Did you get around to considering why Trafalgar gave Trump a 5% lead in Nevada? A state he lost by 2.4%.

No doubt you'll continue to consider them the gold standard and only one that matter because you will just blindly ignore all their flaws and failures and concentrate only on the states they fluked right.
  • Options

From coverage, the "release" of Trumpsky from Walter Reed to the (fully medically equipped) White House is LESS like Bojo Comes Home, and MORE like The Escape of Frankenstein.

Who will be monitoring his drug induced euphoria and so on now? Just his personal doctor?

Jeez.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

The black swan Trump the Indestructible is looking for is for Biden to catch the bug 10 days from polling day.
    I'm not sure that would do it tbh. Biden might be ill for a time but even if he ended up succumbing (by no means likely because he's a fit 77 year old) he'd still be around by election day.
  • Options
    glw said:

MikeL said:

That's what I was saying yesterday. It baffles me that nobody spotted the issue, if not the cause, almost immediately. People in the chain of command should have had an idea of what to expect each day, and when they noticed a divergence at the very least they should start asking questions.
    It looks like wishful thinking. Think about the chatter here and elsewhere last week; the rise seemed to be flattening out, rule of six was working, huzzah! (And it probably is- at least a bit... The KCL app which is my go-to realish time tracking has been steadyish at about 20k for about a week now. Probably only about 3 doublings from where we were at March lockdown day, but it could be a lot worse...)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Believe we've already got PLENTY of evidence relative to Trumpky's fitness, mental and otherwise.

BUT what does statement say about the mental fitness of Dr. Feelgood?
  • Options
    Rather odd that some posters on here think Macron has something to laugh about re Covid. Paris seems on the verge of having its Bars closed and of course the 10pm curfew operates there. Marseilles was locked down and then unlocked down when the locals told Macron to get stuffed. France's Covid numbers are no better than ours and probably worse. And of course he's got a border with Spain.

France is a mess.

• Options
    Most people will look forward to a Biden presidency no doubt, but for some reason, despite people like Sanders urging his backers to support him, I still pick up the presidency that there are plenty on the american left not pleased Biden ended up getting it (not necessarily in place of Sanders, just that it was Biden), and so it could be quite amusing to see if they given Biden a really hard time once he is in office and has tackled some of the bigger Trump issues (I do think they will turn out for him though). Might be my imagination, but I get the impression John Oliver and like minded individuals are not super keen.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

It is actually possible that might happen with the bug rampant, though Jill is looking after him...

https://twitter.com/DrewHeskett/status/1313155848466771973?s=19
  • Options
    Blimey, 45% of Americans say they would NOT get vaccinated, according to the latest CNN poll.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2020/images/10/05/rel12a.-.coronavirus.pdf
  • Options

Rather odd that some posters on here think Macron has something to laugh about re Covid. Paris seems on the verge of having its Bars closed and of course the 10pm curfew operates there. Marseilles was locked down and then unlocked down when the locals told Macron to get stuffed. France's Covid numbers are no better than ours and probably worse. And of course he's got a border with Spain.

France is a mess.

I suspect the thinking behind it is 'Europe is laughing at us'(and it must be Europe, as there are better examples for Covid, and this is a remnant of the Brexit wars that some on either side seem happy to continue), and when you think about or google for an image of European leaders chuckling there's a high chance both France and Germany will be represented, even though that doesn't make the most sense here.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

And good riddance
    I don't believe you. You're a Pollyanna for Trump.

Did you get around to considering why Trafalgar gave Trump a 5% lead in Nevada? A state he lost by 2.4%.

No doubt you'll continue to consider them the gold standard and only one that matter because you will just blindly ignore all their flaws and failures and concentrate only on the states they fluked right.
    No I am not, I was quite clear in 2016 I would have voted for Hillary and expected Hillary to win, however she did not and I am reluctant to make the same mistake again. You are the one who voted for Trump's chief UK cheerleader last year, Farage and the Brexit Party in the European elections, I still voted Tory.

As I said before Nevada is irrelevant, Hillary won it anyway, it was Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida which cost her the election and Trafalgar was the only pollster to call all those right. Not a single pollster got Wisconsin right (though Trafalgar did not poll it)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Most people will look forward to a Biden presidency no doubt, but for some reason, despite people like Sanders urging his backers to support him, I still pick up the presidency that there are plenty on the american left not pleased Biden ended up getting it (not necessarily in place of Sanders, just that it was Biden), and so it could be quite amusing to see if they given Biden a really hard time once he is in office and has tackled some of the bigger Trump issues (I do think they will turn out for him though). Might be my imagination, but I get the impression John Oliver and like minded individuals are not super keen.

I am probably one of the biggest Biden bulls on here.

I think he is a fucking awful candidate.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Blimey, 45% of Americans say they would NOT get vaccinated, according to the latest CNN poll.

Combine the anti vaxers and those suspicious of anything rushed through by the Trumpster.
  • Options

Well I presume that's only in relation to a Covid-19 vaccine, but still troubling since no doubt the reason is the issue has been politicised. Even with the whole 'vaccines cause autism' hullaballo I'm not sure at what point person freedom fetishists turned against vaccination.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Nigelb said:

Arguably it introduces visual bias into the debate setting.

Move the lecterns 3 metres apart fine - no one will notice. Put a whacking great piece of plexiglass up and every viewer will be thinking about covid
  • Options
    Is there anyone left who thinks Trump will leave office quietly and without force if he loses?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It looks like wishful thinking. Think about the chatter here and elsewhere last week; the rise seemed to be flattening out, rule of six was working, huzzah! (And it probably is- at least a bit... The KCL app which is my go-to realish time tracking has been steadyish at about 20k for about a week now. Probably only about 3 doublings from where we were at March lockdown day, but it could be a lot worse...)

Not me though. I didn't think the effects of the new measures could have been quite so quickly effective. If I was involved I would definitely have been annoying people with questions about what is going on. I think MikeL is right that the people in charge need a feel for the numbers, they have got to pass a smell test, or a sanity check. Just accepting them is asking for trouble, as we've now seen.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MrEd said:

Cicero said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

But hate can only get you a certain percent of the population, despite what it seems like on Twitter. Most people want what is best for them, not to live in a perpetual version of the two minute hate.

It’s why I think Clinton’s - and Biden’s - strategies were flawed. They relied on dislike on the other side. Sure, Biden has announced some big plans but it’s clear he is doing it to quieten the more left wing members (who, in a Biden win, I suspect would be chucked to the walls).

Who knows?
    I hope so

His refusal to disavow plans to pack the Supreme Court is deeply disturbing
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Do people just oppose things for the sake of it? It's not like these things are actual debates, who gives a shit if there's a honking piece of plexiglass in the way?
    Scott_xP said:
    I know the point will have been made, but you (and the memesters) presumably know France are doing barely better than the UK? There must be a shot of Merkel laughing with someone else to better make the point, but I assume it has less Brexity overtones?
    France 495 deaths per million; UK 623 deaths per million. So the UK is doing 25% worse.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Many do, though when people are pushing him (and I doubt anyone on either side is going to be even pretending to hold back on their support for one side over the other now - it's full on 'Vote X and you are a racist/traitor) I figured they'd fake more enthusiasm. It cannot be about balance, given general approaches.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Combine the anti vaxers and those suspicious of anything rushed through by the Trumpster.
    Fair point, it will be a varied field of doubters on this occasion.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MrEd said:

Cicero said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Who knows?
    I hope so

More disturbing than the Republicans shameful double-standards in rushing ABC through?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MrEd said:

Cicero said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Who knows?
    I hope so

That isn't in his power. The numbers on the Supreme Court are set by Congress.
  • Options

Is there anyone left who thinks Trump will leave office quietly and without force if he loses?

Depends on the margin... and on whether Trump suffers long-Covid effects imo.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Arguably it introduces visual bias into the debate setting.

Move the lecterns 3 metres apart fine - no one will notice. Put a whacking great piece of plexiglass up and every viewer will be thinking about covid
    The visual bias of the GOP completely botching the handling of Covid?

Gee if only there were some way to have stopped that happening.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
  • Options
    edited October 2020

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    France 495 deaths per million; UK 623 deaths per million. So the UK is doing 25% worse.
    Pedantry is a grand old tradition, but I'd maintain that that point and my 'barely better' are not contradictory, particularly if you compare how much worse France and the UK are to someone else, like Germany. Suddenly the same gap looks smaller.

Given differences in reporting and so on between nations I doubt being very precise with the figures matters all that much - there are clearly places with accurate reporting (like I assume most of Europe's would be, for the most part) which are doing pretty badly, and those that are not, on such measures. UK/Spain/Italy are doing a bit worse than France, and all of them a lot worse than Germany, on that measure, but we don't appear to give Boris a pass for Spain's dpm being worse than ours, and I cannot see the French giving Macron a pass for theirs being better than ours. He's just luckier in his opponents.
  • Options
    I presume Trump will leave the hospital quietly and out of sight of the media / public eye.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

He isn't, I expect Trump would have even have won the popular vote against Sanders and Warren (I would have voted for Trump over those 2) and Biden polls better than Harris too.
    https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1312936354343522304?s=20

It is largely Biden giving the Democrats a chance of winning enough rustbelt swing states to win the electoral college
This discussion has been closed.