Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson gets negative satisfaction ratings from Tory party members – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    IanB2 said:

On Topic, "Boris Johnson: not as s**t as Gavin Williamson..."

Ah, his purpose in Cabinet revealed at last.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,368
    Finally, a use for Williamson. He’s there to make Boris look good.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,544
    UK cases, by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date, scaled to 100k population

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1313130718487293952?s=20

I have read it. Violence is wrong and anyone threatening it should be arrested or at least cautioned.

My view is tempered by the fact that her words and opinions are being written by the author of the piece and are not direct quotes, but the basis on which the article says her opinions are based is also wrong. The oppression of women is not impossible to fight because of our bodies - women fight oppression all the time and in lots of ways. It sounds like an excuse to justify transphobia.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

In the 1980s or 1990s someone probably would have been manually checking all the time to make sure data wasn't being truncated from a spreadsheet in this sort of situation. These days people are so confident in technology that they don't think checks are necessary.

There's something in that. Time is an issue too of course. I once discovered an error in a spreadsheet table which had been used for years for a minor calculation (fortunately of very little importance). In fairness, I too had not bothered to actually check it either, but it has left me paranoid about such things.
  • Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    So who’s accounting for the Excel fiasco? It’s such a basic error. The development capability must be totally undermined by morons chasing ministers whims.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    So now psychosis and mania on top of extreme narcissism and a personality disorder!!!

Just great.

I guess the 25th is a forlorn hope.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    University cities on brink of local lockdown in wake of the Test and Trace blunder

Telegraph

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

In the 1980s or 1990s someone probably would have been manually checking all the time to make sure data wasn't being truncated from a spreadsheet in this sort of situation. These days people are so confident in technology that they don't think checks are necessary.

It is one of the problems with technology, people see data on the screen and assume it must be correct. More and more we will get this as governments get bigger and bigger databases on us all. We will see conversations coming up like

Q: Why did you stop my pension?
    A: Because you are dead.

Q: But I am not dead unless you think I am a zombie
    A: Then you cant be that person because that person is dead. You are trying to defraud us.

Q: Look heres my driving licence showing you its me.
    A: It can't be you because that person is dead the computer says so. (confiscates licence)
    There is a woman in Oregon who is insisting that she is not dead. Her bank refuses to believe her and has informed the credit reference agencies that she is dead.

https://www.wdbo.com/news/trending/not-dead-yet-oregon-woman-disputes-wells-fargos-claim-her-demise/DBVD4LGFC5H4TMGVOD37F2Z7TI/
    It sounds funny but when you are in the middle of it then its not so funny. This is exactly what led to all thost sub post masters having issues. The computer with flawed software said one thing they said another and the computer must be infallible so they were obviously lying.
    The lady in Oregon thought it was amusing too until all her cards were cancelled (she's dead after all)
  • Options
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Pagan2 said:

So, to be clear: Excel (even in modern versions) has a million-row limit.... OK, pretty naff in this day and age, but OK, given that it's not meant to be a serious software system...

But it doesn't give an error if you append a CSV file which would take you over the limit, but just silently truncates it? Really? I knew Excel was bad, but that bad?

Just tested it and got a dialog up with an exclamation and the message file not loaded completely which you have to ok away
    In that case the explanation in this Guardian article doesn't make sense (unless some half-wit ignored the error):

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/05/how-excel-may-have-caused-loss-of-16000-covid-tests-in-england

But while CSV files can be any size, Microsoft Excel files can only be 1,048,576 rows long. When a CSV file longer than that is opened, the bottom rows get cut off and are no longer displayed.
    Or the load was part of a macro with warnings turned off (Application.DisplayAlerts = False)
    Oh god I bet that's exactly what happened. Normally it wouldn't matter but there probably wasn't any exception handling in the code to catch actual showstopping errors.
    People who think Excel is "The Answer" are probably not aware of try { } catch { } blocks .... :D:D (or the Excel equivalent)
    Bad girl you forgot the finally {}
    :D
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

There's something in that. Time is an issue too of course. I once discovered an error in a spreadsheet table which had been used for years for a minor calculation (fortunately of very little importance). In fairness, I too had not bothered to actually check it either, but it has left me paranoid about such things.
    It takes years of experience to build the paranoia up to the right level.
  • Options
    Trump on steroids used to be an abstract concept designed to strike fear into the heart of all right minded people. Now Trump is actually on steroids. 😱
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone with this type of job in the 80s or 90s would have been used to using command lines and be up to speed will all kinds of things directory and file handling, regular expressions, etc.

Then around 20 years ago good quality science and maths students started coming through to uni who were supposedly "computer literate" but had never used anything other than point and click. The software that had opened up computing to the masses also hid the basics of computing. Only those teenagers who were really keen were getting their hands dirty with things like Linux.

It is the software equivalent of no one knows how to change a spark plug anymore.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Jonathan said:

So who’s accounting for the Excel fiasco? It’s such a basic error. The development capability must be totally undermined by morons chasing ministers whims.

You are assuming that it wasn't just PHE managing to do it, all by themselves.

PHE have not been particularly fast moving with the data - took them ages to get to a single unified system. It certainly doesn't look like they were doing any chasing of whims.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    2 hour queue for early voting in Myrtle beach, South Carolina

https://twitter.com/mejay227/status/1313142682991108101
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    quick question for the learned ones on here. How at risk is Simon Blake for libel by calling Fox a racist and does this statement change his risk and, conversely, if Fox tried to reverse ferret and make a similar apology for his remarks, would that mitigate his risk?
  • Options
    RobD said:

OnboardG1 said:

Pagan2 said:

So, to be clear: Excel (even in modern versions) has a million-row limit.... OK, pretty naff in this day and age, but OK, given that it's not meant to be a serious software system...

But it doesn't give an error if you append a CSV file which would take you over the limit, but just silently truncates it? Really? I knew Excel was bad, but that bad?

Just tested it and got a dialog up with an exclamation and the message file not loaded completely which you have to ok away
    In that case the explanation in this Guardian article doesn't make sense (unless some half-wit ignored the error):

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/05/how-excel-may-have-caused-loss-of-16000-covid-tests-in-england

But while CSV files can be any size, Microsoft Excel files can only be 1,048,576 rows long. When a CSV file longer than that is opened, the bottom rows get cut off and are no longer displayed.
    Or the load was part of a macro with warnings turned off (Application.DisplayAlerts = False)
    Oh god I bet that's exactly what happened. Normally it wouldn't matter but there probably wasn't any exception handling in the code to catch actual showstopping errors.
    People who think Excel is "The Answer" are probably not aware of try { } catch { } blocks .... :D:D (or the Excel equivalent)
    try:
    blah
    except:
    pass

Then I don't have to worry about the errors. That's how it works, right? ;)
    I have two fired people for that sort of attitude. One at a company where I was contracted as a Senior A/P, the other was an employee of my business.

You either code correctly or you do not bother. I have no time for chancers.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

Anyone with this type of job in the 80s or 90s would have been used to using command lines and be up to speed will all kinds of things directory and file handling, regular expressions, etc.

Then around 20 years ago good quality science and maths students started coming through to uni who were supposedly "computer literate" but had never used anything other than point and click. The software that had opened up computing to the masses also hid the basics of computing. Only those teenagers who were really keen were getting their hands dirty with things like Linux.

It is the software equivalent of no one knows how to change a spark plug anymore.
    They don't seem to teach basics anymore either like basic data structures such as linked lists, binary trees etc. Too reliant on library collection classes without understanding what underlies them and why a particular class might be better for certain jobs
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2020
    Trump is in charge of an arsenal which could destroy a large chunk of mankind in minutes. The fact that he is being prescribed a drug which can induce psychosis and mania is deeply worrying.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

University cities on brink of local lockdown in wake of the Test and Trace blunder

Telegraph

has the epic test and trace blunder really made that much difference? are hospitals full to bursting as a result of the missed cases?

No and No.

But admissions and deaths don;t suit the government's narrative. lagging pneumonia and flu deaths as they are.

So....
  • Options

Trump is in charge of an arsenal which could destroy a large chunk of mankind in minutes. The fact that he is being prescribed drugs which can induce psychosis and mania is deeply worrying.

I guess all sorts of presidents have been prescribed all sorts of cr8p down the decades.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Trump is in charge of an arsenal which could destroy a large chunk of mankind in minutes. The fact that he is being prescribed a drug which can induce psychosis and mania is deeply worrying.

The military Will have disconnected his box and changed the codes
  • Options
    Have you checked that all the rows are there? :-)

UK cases by specimen date, scaled to 100k population

• Options
    nichomar said:

One has to hope so. (And that the coordinates of the targets aren't stored in an Excel spreadsheet...)
  • Options
    Regarding the quirks of Excel, I was once puzzled by an error I kept getting in one particular spreadsheet.
    Eventually I found it. One of the columns was abbreviations of academic qualifications.
    For Master of Architecture, the abbreviation was MArch.
    Excel had "helpfully" converted it to a date.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Grade A top quality smear.

Absolutely sensationally executes.

Flawless.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382

But if the patient happened to have those conditions already, does it double down, or flip them back toward normality?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887

In reality the generals would step in before he could press the red button... Wouldn't they? ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They have masks on so Dem voters.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Steroids can, but not usually as soon as this. IIRC.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Can anyone fathom the thinking behind this bizarre statement giving the impression that the government has taken a deliberate decision not to vaccinate anyone under 50?

What is this meant to make people under 50 think? Surely, that there's no point in avoiding catching (and spreading) the virus, because they're not going to be vaccinated, so they're bound to get it sooner or later?

As if that wasn't moronic enough, the only reason the woman actually suggested for this policy was that the vaccine would have side-effects that would do more harm than good! How do people so mind-numbingly stupid get into positions of influence?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    edited October 2020
    Had an idea recently to illustrate the issue with exponential growth and how we don't instinctively grasp it from our linear visualisations.

I've switched the England-only (as most up-to-date) daily hospital admissions to a logarithmic scale (base 2, as doublings are the currency by which we're watching this thing). From the earliest data on the coronavirus dashboard (mid-March) to the present, with a 7-day smoothed average.

(Apologies, but I haven't shifted that line as we don't know the next three days yet, so the smoothed average lags the situation by about 3 days).

We came down about 6 doublings from the peak in early April to the trough in late August.

Since then, we've gone up about 3 doublings.

At its current level, we can probably sustain it indefinitely as well as plenty (all?) of non-covid activity.
    One more doubling would probably see quite a bit of non-covid activity suspended.
    Two more doublings would see that even worse.
    Three more doublings would get us to the same peak as before.
    Four doublings would be breaking new ground and putting the NHS (which would probably be almost solely covid-focused at this point) under extreme pressure.
    Five doublings would take it past breaking point of the NHS to a significant degree.

• Options
    The RCP/Spiked set is dead against holocaust denial laws. Must be due to their history of genocide denial.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,783
    edited October 2020

Not many patients on steroids get truly psychotic, but mood changes and ebullience are not unusual, and may be followed by lethargy and depression.

Too many nights of my youth was spent pulling patients off the ceiling, and chasing them with syringes of sedative. Usually these patients go off when night falls.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Exactly. It can't be democratic for these voters to vote. Lawyers for Trump need to put a stop to it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Not many patients on steroids get truly psychotic...
    Not the most comforting way of putting it. Non zero chance of psychotic patient in control of nuclear arsenal.

• Options
    nichomar said:

I've always assumed there are, in reality, some layers of checks on this. It's always possible any President (or PM) has some sort of breakdown or psychotic episode, and that they couldn't in practice just launch a nuclear missile at 2am on a wet Tuesday.

I'm not surprised they don't publicise what the procedures are precisely, but I'd be surprised (as well as terrified) if it was quite such a simple process as one man tapping in some codes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,856
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    To be fair, would you trust Trump to remember the code. Then again, that’s worrying too. He has probably written it down or changed it to 1vanka.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

To be fair, would you trust Trump to remember the code. Then again, that’s worrying too. He has probably written it down or changed it to 1vanka.

Purity Of Essence?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,961
    New NY Times/Siena poll for Arizona .

Biden 49

Trump 41

The sample had a 2016 recall vote of plus 6 for Trump which is bigger than the actual result of plus 4.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

1wanka surely
  • Options
    Chris said:

Can anyone fathom the thinking behind this bizarre statement giving the impression that the government has taken a deliberate decision not to vaccinate anyone under 50?

What is this meant to make people under 50 think? Surely, that there's no point in avoiding catching (and spreading) the virus, because they're not going to be vaccinated, so they're bound to get it sooner or later?

As if that wasn't moronic enough, the only reason the woman actually suggested for this policy was that the vaccine would have side-effects that would do more harm than good! How do people so mind-numbingly stupid get into positions of influence?

Hancock said earlier she wasn't speaking for the government, that she's not part of the committee making the decision and that the government will be making the decision based upon clinical advice.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I've always assumed there are, in reality, some layers of checks on this. It's always possible any President (or PM) has some sort of breakdown or psychotic episode, and that they couldn't in practice just launch a nuclear missile at 2am on a wet Tuesday.

I'm not surprised they don't publicise what the procedures are precisely, but I'd be surprised (as well as terrified) if it was quite such a simple process as one man tapping in some codes.
    There is a chain, and the president is part of that chain. If the president suddenly decides to bomb Kuala Lumpur just for fun, it's not going to happen.
  • Options
    She wears a mask to walk up to journalists, and takes it off to speak to them. Not the brightest.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Not many patients on steroids get truly psychotic...
    Not the most comforting way of putting it. Non zero chance of psychotic patient in control of nuclear arsenal.

Nor indeed the "usually go off at night".
  • Options
    Chris said:

It's not that daft. Flu vaccine is restricted under the NHS to at risk groups for similar reasons.

It is not just health economics, but also balance of risks. A severe side effect affecting 0.1% for example may be tolerable in an eighty year old with chest and heart problems, less so in a fit student.

Mostly it is about prioritising though
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

whereas Joe Biden....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    University of Law is closing their Leeds campus for 2 weeks. I wonder if other universities will follow?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    If Trump is up by just 4 in Ohio in a Trafalgar Group poll, he is in deep shit:

https://www.thetrafalgargroup.org/news/oh-pres-1020/
  • Options

Jonathan said:

whereas Joe Biden....
    There’s zero evidence of Joe Biden undergoing a significant mental decline.
  • Options
    TimT said:

That was my thought too.
  • Options

Chris said:

Hancock said earlier she wasn't speaking for the government, that she's not part of the committee making the decision and that the government will be making the decision based upon clinical advice.
    One of the more interesting things about this crisis has been the way in which various parts of the bureaucracy have gone on manoeuvres.

For example, early on, various officials adopted an-over-my-dead-body approach to using non NHS labs to process tests. It took ministers saying "Your proposal is acceptable"*, if effect, for them to move on this.

*SciFi joke.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

It's not that daft. Flu vaccine is restricted under the NHS to at risk groups for similar reasons.

It is not just health economics, but also balance of risks. A severe side effect affecting 0.1% for example may be tolerable in an eighty year old with chest and heart problems, less so in a fit student.

Never known anyone suffering the effects of flu 6 months later though. With covid it seems commonish.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

And almost everyone will be 50, given time.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

nichomar said:

There is a chain, and the president is part of that chain. If the president suddenly decides to bomb Kuala Lumpur just for fun, it's not going to happen.
    There is a chain, but if the president says 'Fire' then everyone beneath him is obliged to go through with it. (If the president has gone nuts then your only hope is that someone realizes it and decides to disobey orders.) It was designed like that because you can't have a functioning deterrent, what with the small timespan you have to react, if it has to be agreed by committee.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

That was my thought too.
    How was Hillary doing in Ohio at the same juncture I wonder......Up a couple....??

And look at those undecideds.....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313

nichomar said:

That's right. Trump would not at the best of times be allowed anywhere such a decision. There is no button.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,788
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

It could be Lindsey Graham’s personal vote.

They turned out early to vote against him.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

nichomar said:

There is a chain, but if the president says 'Fire' then everyone beneath him is obliged to go through with it. (If the president has gone nuts then your only hope is that someone realizes it and decides to disobey orders.) It was designed like that because you can't have a functioning deterrent, what with the small timespan you have to react, if it has to be agreed by committee.
    There is a 2 man rule at each stage in the chain - the Presidents launch order has to be verified by the Sec. Def.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

That was my thought too.
    How was Hillary doing in Ohio at the same juncture I wonder......Up a couple....??

Trump was forecast to win Ohio.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

Tossup this time round:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/ohio/

• Options

Jonathan said:

whereas Joe Biden....
    Don't worry, Werhers Originals and a nap in his rocking chair are much less likely to lead to psychosis.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited October 2020

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

That was my thought too.

The last RCP poll average in 2016 was Trump +4 over Clinton. Trafalgar Group this cycle has consistently been the single most favorable pollster for Trump across the board of state and national polls, by quite a big margin to the average. Hence my comment.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

That was my thought too.

In October 2016, Trafalgar had Trump 49%, Clinton 44% in Ohio.
    Trump subsequently got 51.7% and Clinton got 43.6%. So within the MOE.

So as usual you are wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

Telegraph

I still don't understand why the government haven't just come out and said the additional data is primarily from university labs, not only do I know that they get the data, I also know they started sending it to PHE exactly around the time the problems started and unsurprisingly the additional cases are showing up in university towns like Leeds and Manchester.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

That was my thought too.

Trump was forecast to win Ohio.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

Tossup this time round:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/ohio/

Trafalgar has Trump over Hillary by four in 2016 too but closer to the vote (24 October), for what its worth.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

If I was Lindsey Graham I would be bricking it right now.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I think there'll be some Harrison / Trump voters (Maybe not in THAT line) unfortunately for my spread bets.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Or v. shy Trumpers..
  • Options
    Chris said:

I think that's been refuted already by Hancock.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

nichomar said:

There is a 2 man rule at each stage in the chain - the Presidents launch order has to be verified by the Sec. Def.
    Not according to this:

Note that the secretary of defense does not confirm the president’s decision, nor does he or she have a right to veto it, nor does anyone else have the authority to override the decision. This is what Elaine Scarry has identified as, in effect, a “thermonuclear monarchy,” which gives the US president almost carte blanche command over the nuclear forces.

https://www.wagingpeace.org/protocol-u-s-nuclear-strike/

Yes, the site has an anti-nuke agenda, but that's what I've always understood from other sources.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited October 2020

University of Law is closing their Leeds campus for 2 weeks. I wonder if other universities will follow?

University of law will be very self contained compared to the rest of Leeds' unis...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313
    Talk about not quite "getting" the historical weight of anti-black racism -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-54419760
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Now about that unconscious bias training..
  • Options
    eek said:

University of law will be very self contained compared to the rest of Leeds' unis...
    Definitely. I think it’s just like 1 or 2 buildings? But still an interesting development.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    nico679 said:

Biden 49

Trump 41

The sample had a 2016 recall vote of plus 6 for Trump which is bigger than the actual result of plus 4.

Also an A+ rated pollster by 538, with about half the polling coming after Trump had fessed up to catching the plague, so another pointer to Trump going backwards nationally.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

The original story didn't seem credible. Why were they buying 100m+ doses if only a fraction of the population were going to get it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

Vaccinating people in their 20s - 40s pays itself back quickly in economic terms I think. Also good for herd immunity given our likely strong immune response. Obviously I know we're at the back of the queue but that's not a worry.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What's hilarious about it is that it was a black guy who came up with the workout routine. 😆
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Chris said:

Vaccinating people in their 20s - 40s pays itself back quickly in economic terms I think. Also good for herd immunity given our likely strong immune response. Obviously I know we're at the back of the queue but that's not a worry.
    Yes, it's definitely worth it to get young people out in the pubs and bars again quickly.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

If I was Lindsey Graham I would be bricking it right now.
    He's been bricking it and virtually begging on live TV for weeks. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Biden 49

Trump 41

Also an A+ rated pollster by 538, with about half the polling coming after Trump had fessed up to catching the plague, so another pointer to Trump going backwards nationally.
    The "shy Trumper" theory is tricky to reconcile that with this voter recall.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Biden 49

Trump 41

Arizona is looking sub-optimal for Trump.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

The Prime Minister has urged people to return to cinemas following news Cineworld is temporarily closing its UK and US venues, affecting 45,000 jobs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54387856

To be fair, I've seen no advertising from cinemas - I'd have thought being a reasonably safe form of public entertainment (sitting facing one way in a socially distant fashion) they'd have fought a bit more.
  • Options
    European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen says she has placed herself in isolation after being in contact with a person infected with coronavirus.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

kinabalu said:

Now about that unconscious bias training..
    You can have all the unconscious bias training in the world, it won't help if they don't also offer idiot training. The latter, helpfully, is equally necessary for people of all genders and races.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

nichomar said:

Not according to this:

Note that the secretary of defense does not confirm the president’s decision, nor does he or she have a right to veto it, nor does anyone else have the authority to override the decision. This is what Elaine Scarry has identified as, in effect, a “thermonuclear monarchy,” which gives the US president almost carte blanche command over the nuclear forces.

https://www.wagingpeace.org/protocol-u-s-nuclear-strike/

Yes, the site has an anti-nuke agenda, but that's what I've always understood from other sources.
    Generals have said the opposite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42065714
This discussion has been closed.