Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson gets negative satisfaction ratings from Tory party members – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited October 2020 in General
Johnson gets negative satisfaction ratings from Tory party members – politicalbetting.com

WOW. Boris now getting NEGATIVE satisfaction ratings from Tory Party members. From ConservativeHome. https://t.co/gsofPlkQc3 pic.twitter.com/6ugy8AfxZq

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    1st
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    On topic - well they aren't having a good "war" are they
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited October 2020
    Interesting that Alister Jack gets such a low rating. What's the poor man done? Not being Ruth Davidson, I assume.

Edit: but the same applies to Mr Ross, who is equally not Ms D.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Realistically, how many Conservative members are thinking about the performance of the likes of Oliver Dowden, Liz Truss, Therese Coffey or George Eustace at the moment?

I reckon the only names Conservative members are likely to have a strong view on are the likes of Rishi, Priti Patel, Hancock, Johnson and Williamnson. Jenrick probably gets in there as well because he wants to build over the countryside and he has got himself in hot water.

Contest between Rishi and Patel for the Conservative leadership I reckon.

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Caught out be the new thread problem again...

If a tradesman comes to your house to repair your fridge and has nothing but a hammer with him, it is obvious to everyone, even Boris, that he is unfit to be a fridge repairman, professional or amateur.

If a data scientist tries to compile the official government SARS-COV2 data and has nothing but Excel, it is obvious ....

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Interesting that Alister Jack gets such a low rating. What's the poor man done? Not being Ruth Davidson, I assume.

Edit: but the same applies to Mr Ross, who is equally not Ms D.

He probably has a high level of don't knows
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    MrEd said:

Realistically, how many Conservative members are thinking about the performance of the likes of Oliver Dowden, Liz Truss, Therese Coffey or George Eustace at the moment?

I reckon the only names Conservative members are likely to have a strong view on are the likes of Rishi, Priti Patel, Hancock, Johnson and Williamnson. Jenrick probably gets in there as well because he wants to build over the countryside and he has got himself in hot water.

Contest between Rishi and Patel for the Conservative leadership I reckon.

Members tend to be more clued up than voters, they probably do know most of the top of that list.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Priti Patel is hardly storming through the field - some small cause for hope.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2020
    The whole list is pretty dire TBH. I think only Rishi Sunak and Thérèse Coffey deserve a significant positive rating. Matt Hancock is OK but overwhelmed and not getting the support he needs from the PM. Liz Truss is comical but has at least done one moderately useful deal, with Japan. The rest range from the poor to the disastrous. I suppose it's quite encouraging that these ConHome party members have begun to understand that in respect of Boris and Gavin Williamson.
  • Options
    The Prime Minister has urged people to return to cinemas following news Cineworld is temporarily closing its UK and US venues, affecting 45,000 jobs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54387856
  • Options
    Arsenal getting serious trolling over their outrageous decision to sack the long term mascot...

https://twitter.com/SevillaFC_ENG/status/1313101312020680705?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The Prime Minister has urged people to return to cinemas following news Cineworld is temporarily closing its UK and US venues, affecting 45,000 jobs.

What a buffoon.
  • Options
    Alok Sharma +33 ??

What a joke!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Perhaps Mr Johnson could ask for Crhis Grayling to be added to the list to expand the x-axis ad shorten Johnson's bar.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What a buffoon.
    Its every day now he says something totally stupid. He surely will be asked to step down by the men in grey suits.
  • Options
    Boris does not have the skill set to deal with covid and I assume most conservatives are appalled at the way he has locked down the economy

It is not getting better anytime soon as covid takes hold again and brexit looking touch and go

Rishi's endorsement of Boris today is no doubt an attempt to shore him up but it is not going to work

I hope he sees the writing on the wall and decides to stand down, or the MP's send in the 40 letters to the 1922 Committee

Having said that Macron has plummeted in the polls even more than Boris and Ireland is looking at a new full lockdown

The time must be coming for a GNU and if the politicians were putting the country first they would do it now.

And at the same time do a deal (any deal) with the EU and get a six month implementation extension
  • Options
    I assume that each member of the cabinet is allocated a separate column?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Boris does not have the skill set to deal with covid and I assume most conservatives are appalled at the way he has locked down the economy

It is not getting better anytime soon as covid takes hold again and brexit looking touch and go

Rishi's endorsement of Boris today is no doubt an attempt to shore him up but it is not going to work

I hope he sees the writing on the wall and decides to stand down, or the MP's send in the 40 letters to the 1922 Committee

Having said that Macron has plummeted in the polls even more than Boris and Ireland is looking at a new full lockdown

The time must be coming for a GNU and if the politicians were putting the country first they would do it now.

And at the same time do a deal (any deal) with the EU and get a six month implementation extension

I think the time has come for an across the board ten per cent cut in pension payments

Older folk need to shoulder at least some of the enormous burden the lock down they mostly support is placing on the economy and the taxpayer.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I think the time has come for an across the board ten per cent cut in pension payments

Older folk need to shoulder at least some of the enormous burden the lock down they mostly support is placing on the economy and the taxpayer.
    A blanket cut of the state pension only hurts those at the bottom.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    RobD said:

Pensioners should pay NI and pay tax on benefits such as the winter fuel allowance and free bus pass. That way, only better off pensioners pay (like me).
  • Options

Arsenal getting serious trolling over their outrageous decision to sack the long term mascot...

Arsenal used to be a classy club then Stan Kroenke took charge.
  • Options

Checking the local cinema listings I can see films past 10pm....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020

I just can't get my head around who would sign this off. I mean the guy has been doing it 27 years and I doubt they pay him much at all, while at the same time they are paying out millions every week in wages for the players. I doubt cutting him from the overall wage bill shows up even a rounding error.

Hopefully they will see sense, or very least the players chip in 0.000001% of their wage packet.
  • Options

Is there a metaphor involving trying to get the bolted horse back in the stable once the door has been locked?
  • Options
    RobD said:

The point I am trying to make is that anti-COVID measures are being felt very unevenly. Some (EG if you are running an events business) have lost everything. For others, disruption is light.

That is not life in the real world and it is not sustainable.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    The combination of hypoxia and high dose steroid has Trump tweeting like a sparrow on speed, as well as demanding discharge.

Expect some seriously weird behaviour this week.
  • Options

I just can't get my head around who would sign this off. I mean the guy has been doing it 27 years and I doubt they pay him much at all, while at the same time they are paying out millions every week in wages for the players. I doubt cutting him from the overall wage bill shows up even a rounding error.
    This is the club that pays Mesut Özil £350,000 per week to not play and recently gave Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang a similar salary, as John W Henry famously tweeted

'What do you think they're smoking over there at The Emirates?'
  • Options

I assume that each member of the cabinet is allocated a separate column?

At least one of them should have stuck to writing columns...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

We're looking to sign Cyril the Swan:

https://tinyurl.com/y6yts9yu
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The combination of hypoxia and high dose steroid has Trump tweeting like a sparrow on speed, as well as demanding discharge.

I remember when my father was given high dose steroids when he had cancer. For the day after he would get them, he ran around like he wanted to do the World's Strongest Man.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Divvie, the PM appears to be unaware that save scumming doesn't work in real life.
  • Options

I know what you mean... but...

Any concrete Brexit will be a disappointment to some, maybe many people. If it's a GNU doing the climbdown, we won't be able to move for Stab In The Back theories. So Johnson, however much he's a flabby faced coward, has got to be the one who goes through with that, and takes the mountain of ordure that will come his way.

The only answer I see is to lock Johnson, Gove and Cummings in a room, with a BEANO deal awaiting their signatures. Along with the customary tumblers of whisky and loaded revolvers.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680

Why on earth are you calling for a Government of National Unity? "We have an 80 seat majority and we can do whatever we like" - remember?

The present outfit is not short of votes. It is short of rational policies and of competent politicians. The problem is that any rational policy would not be acceptable to Johnson and his gang of incompetents. And they would not be happy at being obliged to move out and maake way for some competent Lib Dem miinisters (and even some Labour ones too, if their party bosses let them).

Come on, Mr Wales. You voted for them (I think). You must take the responsibility.
  • Options
    A very interesting analysis of early voting so far.

Opens up the possibility that, contrary to most opinion, it might be Biden ahead on polling night with Trump catching up in the days that follow. Worth a read.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/Early_Vote_Analysis_10_4.html
  • Options
    edited October 2020

This is the club that pays Mesut Özil £350,000 per week to not play and recently gave Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang a similar salary, as John W Henry famously tweeted

When you watch the Spurs documentary or the recent Athletic piece on post game procedure, you see just how detached the players and staff are from reality. They literally want for nothing. No expense is ever spared. It isn't just the wages of the players, absolutely everything from food to their pants are provided.

Dele Alli rather amusing says he had to make food for himself for the first time during lockdown and never realised how easy baked beans were.
  • Options
    I am shocked, Katie Hopkins said something inaccurate about Muslims.

Controversial rightwing commentator Katie Hopkins has been forced to publicly apologise to Finsbury Park mosque in north London after inaccurately linking it to a violent incident in May.

The mosque had brought a legal action against Hopkins after she tweeted footage of five men attacking Met police officers, implying wrongly that the perpetrators were members of the mosque’s community.

Although she deleted the tweet, the mosque was told by Hopkins that she would be unable to pay damages if she lost in court, having already applied for insolvency in 2018 after losing a costly libel case to the food writer Jack Monroe.

The mosque then pressed for an apology. A period of negotiations resulted in Hopkins saying on Monday that she was “genuinely sorry for any hurt or offence felt by Finsbury Park mosque” for making “a clear factual error”.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/oct/05/katie-hopkins-forced-to-apologise-for-wrongly-linking-mosque-to-attack-on-police
  • Options
    Foxy said:

FOXNews is reporting the exalted one to reenter the fray later today.
  • Options

Foxy said:

How many more people he is going to infect?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

How will we notice the difference?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Telegraph calling Nottingham a "Northern city".

Hmm.
  • Options

I know what you mean... but...

Any concrete Brexit will be a disappointment to some, maybe many people. If it's a GNU doing the climbdown, we won't be able to move for Stab In The Back theories. So Johnson, however much he's a flabby faced coward, has got to be the one who goes through with that, and takes the mountain of ordure that will come his way.

The only answer I see is to lock Johnson, Gove and Cummings in a room, with a BEANO deal awaiting their signatures. Along with the customary tumblers of whisky and loaded revolvers.
    No need to worry about Brexit anymore. Frogman is currently in the Reichskanzlei, reporting back his recent failures.

On behalf of the Quandt family, the Evil Empress is about to issue orders to immediately cave in to all of Mighty Blighty's demands.

All is well on the Brexit front. Hail Boris.
  • Options
    SD = South Dakota? Why so high there? It's solid Republican anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Foxy said:

How many more people he is going to infect?
    What's making really some people angry is the way Trump is responding to COVID the way most of the people that have symptoms generally do.

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    eristdoof said:

If a tradesman comes to your house to repair your fridge and has nothing but a hammer with him, it is obvious to everyone, even Boris, that he is unfit to be a fridge repairman, professional or amateur.

If a data scientist tries to compile the official government SARS-COV2 data and has nothing but Excel, it is obvious ....

It's common to refer to said hammer as the [insert name of city to be dissed, e.g. Birmingham] screwdriver - perhaps we should all start referring to Excel as the 'Whitehall Database'?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    I have an idea.

We have an incompetent PM.

A recently unemployed dinosaur.

Prime Minister Gunnersaurus?

I appreciate that he'll have a far greater political understanding and grasp of detail than the incumbent, but I don't think that's a reason to oppose this sensible swapping of roles.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The nuclear 'football' was clearly seen being loaded onto Marine 1 on way to hospital. Gulp...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

I remember when my father was given high dose steroids when he had cancer. For the day after he would get them, he ran around like he wanted to do the World's Strongest Man.
    Same with me. The best description is Hunter S Thompson (talking about something else): "a giddy, quavering high which means the crash is not far off." Horrible stuff.
  • Options

Dunno why it's high there, but it's a tiny electorate in a big place, so maybe it's just convenience.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What a buffoon.
    Last week we were being told that this massive second wave was all our own fault for going out and enjoying the summer.

This Monday we are back to Eat Popcorn Out to Help Out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Same with me. The best description is Hunter S Thompson (talking about something else): "a giddy, quavering high which means the crash is not far off." Horrible stuff.
    I remember I took him to the driving range once just to try and wear him out a bit, he was like the Incredible Hulk trying to hit the ball...then as you say the crash came.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited October 2020
    @Richard_Nabavi
    ' I suppose it's quite encouraging that these ConHome party members have begun to understand that in respect of Boris and Gavin Williamson.'

Presumably ConHome was the bedrock of support for both, no?

As you say, at least it shows a willingness to change views and recognise realities. In that respect it is considerably more enlightened than its Labour equivalent.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

Hmm.

The Telegraph isn't read outside of the Home Counties so it's unsurprising they have a shaky grasp of geography north of the Watford Gap.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

Hmm.

The Telegraph isn't read outside of the Home Counties so it's unsurprising they have a shaky grasp of geography north of the Watford Gap.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    On topic and betting post -

I think Johnson is an absurdity as PM but I also consider the view he is likely to be gone soon to be wildly off beam. Just 10 months ago he won a general election by 80 seats. The best majority for the Conservatives since 1980s Thatcher in her pomp. He did so from a position 6 months prior on assuming the leadership where the party looked to be - was - in a hole. It was a personal triumph. A complete vindication of the ghastly man and his ghastly methods.

He will not be stepping down voluntarily. People in top jobs do not relinquish power and status except for health reasons and there is no reason to expect that here. He does not have long Covid. Neither will he be forced out by his party for the foreseeable future. The earliest it could happen is 2023 and only then if (i) he has become a clear electoral liability and (ii) there is a replacement guaranteed to be more popular.

So, there is a Betfair market, Boris Johnson exit date, and "July 2022 or later" can be backed at 1.8. I think that is outstanding value. It should be more like 1.33.

If any of the punters here take the opposite view and think it should be longer and the value is in the other direction - the lay - I have money there at 1.85 looking for a match. £50 for starters but with appetite for more. Just hit me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    edited October 2020

The median age of an adult in the UK is now in the 50s.

Think about that for a second. Half of people of voting age - and these are the ones who vote - are either retired, or approaching retirement.

Most of these people's savings are in the Bank of Bricks and Mortar. They care about two things:

1. The state pension not being reduced.
    2. House prices staying high.

The demographic imbalance, with its appalling consequences for public policy, is the biggest issue that all Western Democracies face.
  • Options

Although 39% of the ballots returned so far have been from registered Dems, versus 43% from Republicans. So not a huge gap (though SD is safe Republican of course).
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Assuming the 25 in the top section are the cabinet members, then the median satisfaction is +32.4 for Suella Braverman. The averagely competent cabinet minister is the one who stood by the legal advice that was used to justify the Internal Markets Bill.

She's neither marked out for damnation, nor for praise for that act. I can't help but feel that there's some meaning in that.
  • Options
    Massive coronavirus outbreak at Sheffield University as 474 students and five staff members test positive
  • Options

@Richard_Nabavi
    ' I suppose it's quite encouraging that these ConHome party members have begun to understand that in respect of Boris and Gavin Williamson.'

As you say, at least it shows a willingness to change views and recognise realities. In that respect it is considerably more enlightened than its Labour equivalent.

I don't think Gavin Williamson has ever had any support from anyone.
  • Options

Dunno why it's high there, but it's a tiny electorate in a big place, so maybe it's just convenience.
    Maybe the locals have heard Trump's planning to have his ugly mug carved into Mount Rushmore and are piling in to make sure it doesn't happen?
  • Options

Massive coronavirus outbreak at Sheffield University as 474 students and five staff members test positive

A friend who is a professor at a US university suggests their experience is a major explosion in cases at the start of term which quickly burns out. I wonder if that might happen here? Or by trying to stop the cases we might be dragging it out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The median age of an adult in the UK is now in the 50s.

Think about that for a second. Half of people of voting age - and these are the ones who vote - are either retired, or approaching retirement.

Most of these people's savings are in the Bank of Bricks and Mortar. They care about two things:

1. The state pension not being reduced.
    2. House prices staying high.

The demographic imbalance, with its appalling consequences for public policy, is the biggest issue that all Western Democracies face.
    Yes, a pension cut makes perfect sense and is definitely not going to happen.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
  • Options

At present they are due a 2.5% pension increase in April 21 under the triple lock
  • Options

@Richard_Nabavi

I don't think Gavin Williamson has ever had any support from anyone.
    I have never quite figured out how he managed to get where he is today.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    kinabalu said:

On topic and betting post -

I think Johnson is an absurdity as PM but I also consider the view he is likely to be gone soon to be wildly off beam. Just 10 months ago he won a general election by 80 seats. The best majority for the Conservatives since 1980s Thatcher in her pomp. He did so from a position 6 months prior on assuming the leadership where the party looked to be - was - in a hole. It was a personal triumph. A complete vindication of the ghastly man and his ghastly methods.

He will not be stepping down voluntarily. People in top jobs do not relinquish power and status except for health reasons and there is no reason to expect that here. He does not have long Covid. Neither will he be forced out by his party for the foreseeable future. The earliest it could happen is 2023 and only then if (i) he has become a clear electoral liability and (ii) there is a replacement guaranteed to be more popular.

So, there is a Betfair market, Boris Johnson exit date, and "July 2022 or later" can be backed at 1.8. I think that is outstanding value. It should be more like 1.33.

If any of the punters here take the opposite view and think it should be longer and the value is in the other direction - the lay - I have money there at 1.85 looking for a match. £50 for starters but with appetite for more. Just hit me.

Or do it privately on here and save the comm/tying up the money
  • Options

No, just make the richer pensioners pay NI.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What a buffoon.
    Perhaps the PM thinks people should go see the latest blockbuster at their local Cineworld this weekend...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Any word from Betfair? When are they re-entering the fray?
  • Options

Hmm.

According to the Fount Of All Knowledge, the population centre of Great Britain at the 2011 census was in Snarestone, Swadlincote, about 20 miles SSW of Nottingham.

So there is one way of defining Nottingham as a Northern City.
  • Options

Checking the local cinema listings I can see films past 10pm....
    Yes I spotted that. Was looking at showings on Thursday night - last one out the door kind of thing. So if I am in a takeaway wearing a mask at 10:04 they should get a £1k fine for their dangerous actions, but its not dangerous to sit in a cinema wearing a mask at 10:04.

Good job the rules aren't arbitrary and stupid. Otherwise there'd be a risk of massive job losses.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Selebian said:

eristdoof said:

It's common to refer to said hammer as the [insert name of city to be dissed, e.g. Birmingham] screwdriver - perhaps we should all start referring to Excel as the 'Whitehall Database'?
    The banks got there first. I think I have spent more than half my life trying to remove Excel from the financial operations chain.....

Thank god we managed to kill Access. That was a stake-through-the-heart-with-garlix-and-silver-hollowpoints-just-in-case thing.....
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Why on earth are you calling for a Government of National Unity? "We have an 80 seat majority and we can do whatever we like" - remember?

The present outfit is not short of votes. It is short of rational policies and of competent politicians. The problem is that any rational policy would not be acceptable to Johnson and his gang of incompetents. And they would not be happy at being obliged to move out and maake way for some competent Lib Dem miinisters (and even some Labour ones too, if their party bosses let them).

Come on, Mr Wales. You voted for them (I think). You must take the responsibility.
    And did you take the responsibility for Corbyn destroying labour

And I do think that on covid they have not done unreasonably compared to governments elsewhere

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

What I think is striking is how few people who requested postal ballots have sent them in so far. We're told that America is deeply polarised and nearly everyone is sure how they'll vote. Why don't they get on with it, like postal voters in the UK generally do?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Maybe the locals have heard Trump's planning to have his ugly mug carved into Mount Rushmore and are piling in to make sure it doesn't happen?
    There's a companion "why did we get it wrong" piece to go with the one from the weekend. The how did we miss Biden sweeping to one of the largest victories ever. Taking the entire west and east coast as well as Texas
  • Options

What I think is striking is how few people who requested postal ballots have sent them in so far. We're told that America is deeply polarised and nearly everyone is sure how they'll vote. Why don't they get on with it, like postal voters in the UK generally do?
    Won't much of the delay be caused by the time taken for the state to send out the ballots, plus the mail delays, plus the time taken to verify and register the returned ballots?
  • Options

Could that be indicative of how slow the USPS is, or the election offices in recording returned ballots?

The voter is not necessarily the slowest link in the chain.
  • Options

That does it, I'm welding in my neighbours who work at the universities.

I believe the Coronavirus laws allow me to do this.
  • Options
    Lord Beefy of Almeria speaking for the people of England..er..UK.

https://twitter.com/Stoviesplz/status/1313120602094526464?s=20
  • Options
    Alistair said:

There's a companion "why did we get it wrong" piece to go with the one from the weekend. The how did we miss Biden sweeping to one of the largest victories ever. Taking the entire west and east coast as well as Texas
    I haven't missed it. It's distinctly possible. There's not a lot of point discussing it though because the consequences are so obvious (one of these being I become a good deal better off.)
  • Options
    The thing that convinces me Trump is dead in the water for re-election. Last time he got himself the 3-4 slogans, make America great, build the wall, lock her up, and they resonanced, even if people didn't really quite believe how he would achieve them or want clinton locked up (it just reinforced opinion that some shifty stuff about Clintons).

This time he has got nothing going. Sleepy Joe doesn't really go anywhere, does keep America great. He has tried getting the Harris is a far leftist, Biden is on drugs, but we aren't seeing people really going for them.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Gut feel.

I think a lot of voters, particularly on the Democrat side, requested postal ballots because it was the hot topic for a week or two and it became the symbol of resistance to Trump.

Then I think it lost urgency as an issue as it realised that (a) it might be counter-productive and (b) there was another thing to get outraged at. So now they will vote instead in person or before

• Options

It may be that some core supporters are switching. I think Yokes suggested as much yesterday when reporting on some polling from PPP. I wouldn't labour the point here though because it just play to the pro-Biden betting consensus and there's a risk that I personally start talking up my book.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    ClippP said:

The GNU is necessary to help spread the blame and protect his beloved Party from the oncoming disaster that it created.

The truth of the matter is that the Conservatives have been out of power since 2019. The current shower are even remotely Conservative.
  • Options
    Arsenal must really be in the financial shit if on the day they let Gunnersaurus go.

Arsenal make move to sign Thomas Partey from Atlético Madrid for £45m

Midfielder’s release clause set to be met before close of window

Partey will sign four-year deal worth £250,000 a week

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/05/arsenal-make-move-to-sign-thomas-partey-from-atletico-madrid-for-51m
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

twitter.com/Stoviesplz/status/1313120602094526464?s=20

I agree with him. Let England stand on its own. NI can join the Republic and Scotland can be independent.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Macron hasn't plummeted at all over the course of the crisis? - he's been on around 27% in the first round and 55%+ in Round 2 for more than a year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_French_presidential_election

You have to go back to his 2017 victory to find a drop, which I assume is the usual midterm effect, and nothing to do with handling of the virus issue.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

Put Ozil in the suit.

Problem solved
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

I haven't missed it. It's distinctly possible. There's not a lot of point discussing it though because the consequences are so obvious (one of these being I become a good deal better off.)
    I've been pretty brutal in my polling analysis. Anyone who isn't reporting clear education breakdowns is binned.

Anyone with comically low HS or less figures is binned.

But that still leaves a lot of polls and those polls have - based on historic turnout - very, very high HS or less weighting. It is non trivial to the end result, worth a couple of percentage points to Trump and a couple off Biden.

If, in a state where HS or less turnout was less than 20% in 2018 and 2016 it seems rather..... aggressive to me to weight your sample to 34% HS or less for 2020.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

What a buffoon.
    Perhaps the PM thinks people should go see the latest blockbuster at their local Cineworld this weekend...
    He probably thinks you can still rent films from Blockbuster.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Arsenal must really be in the financial shit if on the day they let Gunnersaurus go.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/05/arsenal-make-move-to-sign-thomas-partey-from-atletico-madrid-for-51m

Are the same people running Arsenal PR department also doing comms for the government?
  • Options

Macron hasn't plummeted at all over the course of the crisis? - he's been on around 27% in the first round and 55%+ in Round 2 for more than a year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_French_presidential_election

You have to go back to his 2017 victory to find a drop, which I assume is the usual midterm effect, and nothing to do with handling of the virus issue.
    Mere facts Nick, mere facts.
  • Options

Selebian said:

eristdoof said:

The banks got there first. I think I have spent more than half my life trying to remove Excel from the financial operations chain.....

Thank god we managed to kill Access. That was a stake-through-the-heart-with-garlix-and-silver-hollowpoints-just-in-case thing.....
    In my old, old life, whenever I was passed someone else's Excel file I would do a quick search for INDIRECT.

If it was in there, you could be 99.9% sure than the spreadsheet would contain major errors.

(True story time. Back in the early 1990s, the most profitable desk at Goldman Sachs London office was Japanese Warrants trading. Every year, it raked up ridiculous, insane profits, despite Japanese warrants only being a pretty small market. Eventually someone worked out why. There was an Excel spreadsheet that calculated how much they needed to hedge their positions. That is, if Goldman Sachs owned lots of Japanese equity warrants, they needed to sell equity futures to balance their risk. And if they were short warrants, then they had to be long the market. Due to an error in the spreadsheet, it was always telling the traders they needed to have massive short positions in the Japanese equity market. As Nikkei was in a serious bear market, this error resulted in the desk making enormous profits.)
  • Options
    Ban them from ever playing for England.

Tammy Abraham, Ben Chilwell and Jadon Sancho will not join up with the England squad for this month’s games against Wales, Belgium and Denmark until the Football Association has investigated the trio’s attendance at a party that allegedly breached Covid-19 regulations.

The FA has decided to take precautions and ensure there is no risk to the wider group after footage emerged which appeared to show Abraham, Chilwell and Sancho at a party in London with more than six people – breaking the government’s “rule of six” coronavirus guidelines – on Saturday evening. Abraham has apologised and Chelsea are to remind the striker and Chilwell of their responsibilities.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/05/abraham-chilwell-and-sancho-pictured-at-party-in-apparent-covid-breach-england-fa
  • Options

Are the same people running Arsenal PR department also doing comms for the government?
    No, they are running the excel spreadsheets for the government.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes, I'm considering writing one of those too...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

https://twitter.com/Stoviesplz/status/1313120602094526464?s=20

That's why Ben Stokes is England's best ever all rounder!
This discussion has been closed.