Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The WH2020 betting edges to Biden after probably the worst TV debate ever – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited September 2020 in General
The WH2020 betting edges to Biden after probably the worst TV debate ever – politicalbetting.com

The debate – the punters verdict. The latest WH2020 Betfair trend chart from @betdatapolitics pic.twitter.com/bp3AW8KAer

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    No knock out blow on either side, doubt there will be much movement in the polls over this, maybe slight move to Biden as Trump didn't cover himself in glory, but Biden didn't handle trump well so any movement will be anti trump oriented.

Next debate the moderator needs to learn from this and they need some mechanism to stop the interrupting, muting the mics or whatever, any country in the world let alone the US deserves better than that.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,542
  • Options
    To be fair to the Americans, at least they got their version of Boris to turn up. In our country we've had, what, one and a half general elections with debates?
  • Options

To be fair to the Americans, at least they got their version of Boris to turn up. In our country we've had, what, one and a half general elections with debates?

Thats one reason that Johnson will go before the next election. He cannot avoid debates again, and he has brown trousers about facing Starmer.
  • Options
    Betfair has seen a sharp move to Biden during the morning.

Biden 1.69
    Dem 1.68

Trump 2.46
    Rep 2.44
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Biggest loser in this Presidential election is going to be turnout.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Thats one reason that Johnson will go before the next election. He cannot avoid debates again, and he has brown trousers about facing Starmer.
    Not even SKS himself would deny Boris is far more charismatic and as Trump has shown, that can be crucial.

On Boris's exit date, I believe the Chancellor's popularity has made a coup less likely as it will deter the most likely plotter, Michael Gove, from pulling the trigger.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    CNN poll:

Who won?

Biden 60
    Trump 28

(Audience: Dem 39, Ind 36, Rep 25)
  • Options
    CNN Other Qs:

All hugely pro Biden, Biden attacks seen as fair (by miles), Trump attacks unfair (by miles).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    MikeL said:

CNN poll:

Who won?

Biden 60
    Trump 28

(Audience: Dem 39, Ind 36, Rep 25)

The audience leans Dem relative to the nation. But not by all that much.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    OGH says he made the mistake of staying up to watch the debate - which sounds like it was truly awful. A car crash. Much less worthwhile than sleep. But as a political punter it was the right and necessary thing to do. Biden could have imploded and this election could have turned on its head. Thankfully that appears not to have happened. Thankfully I chose sleep.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Biden would be best to pull out of more debates. I think he has this election in the bag.
  • Options
    CNN Poll:

More likely to vote for:

Biden 32
    Trump 11
    Neither 57
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

I have long believed that Boris would only serve one term despite winning that large majority at the last GE, and political events surrounding the Covid-19 crisis only make that outcome more likely. Would not be surprised if he only hangs around long enough to see Brexit completed.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Big difference between the CNN poll and the YouGov one.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

CNN Poll:

More likely to vote for:

Biden 32
    Trump 11
    Neither 57

Landslide for Biden on low turnout
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,384
    Delighted that I slept through that.
    A small risk, as there was always the possibility of a Biden breakdown, but I have work today. Kudos and thanks to those who toughed it out.

Looks as though Biden might look better in the clips than in the debate. And Trump just confirmed everything people think about him.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The through the looking class nature of US politics is summed up perfectly by the constant touting of Trump about the imminence of a Covid vaccine, and the obstruction to it by the deep state, when those who believe anything he says on it are probably highly correlated with those who either dismiss how dangerous Covid is and/or will not be in a rush to vaccinate anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Funny, I just scanned through last nights comments and the majority appear to lean towards a Trump win (ignoring those from Sean who was off his head as usual), with Biden exposed as slow and doddery. The after analysis leans heavily the other way.
  • Options
    Dems broke their fundraising records during the debate.
    Radio silence from the Trump camp on their figures.
  • Options

Biden would be best to pull out of more debates. I think he has this election in the bag.
    He’s (re)committed to showing up, which I think is smart.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Sums up the Republican campaign.

(Unless it was Russian and they got the time zones confused.)

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1311068232976080896
  • Options
    From what I read on here and elsewhere of the debate I think Trump has established himself as the Alpha male in this contest. I think he'll be delighted with things like the Kamala Harris tweet attacking him as a bully - he'll reckon that he'd much rather be seen as a bully than the bullied.

Sure, people want to support the guy who will stand up to a bully, rather than the bully - but I get the impression that Biden looked like he was hoping the moderator would stand up for him, rather than vice versa.
  • Options
    Not sure how you might defend Trump’s white supremacist remark, but this isn’t how...
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1311160705098436608
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,136
    Nigelb said:

Not sure how you might defend Trump’s white supremacist remark, but this isn’t how...
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1311160705098436608

With friends like that does Trump even need enemies? What an idiot.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Not seen this market on Ladbrokes or Betfair, but wondering if betting on a low voter turnout might make sense.
  • Options
    Biden's team should have anticipated and prepared for Trump's tactics....a repeat of what he did to Hilary in 2016. Whilst Trump came across as he did last time (where he eventually won), I suspect Biden will be most annoyed.
    Trump's core will not have been affected, however certain groups who were undecided may have taken something from it. I reckon this debate wont have changed much but Biden's job might be a little harder,
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Good morning, everyone.

Not seen this market on Ladbrokes or Betfair, but wondering if betting on a low voter turnout might make sense.

'Second' the Good Morning!
    Shouldn't we hope for a high turnout? After all, it looks very much as though it was Dem-inclined voters staying home last time that resulted in Trump's election.

That's, of course, unless one sees four more years of the Orange One as a good thing!
  • Options

Biden's team should have anticipated and prepared for Trump's tactics....a repeat of what he did to Hilary in 2016. Whilst Trump came across as he did last time (where he eventually won), I suspect Biden will be most annoyed.
    Trump's core will not have been affected, however certain groups who were undecided may have taken something from it. I reckon this debate wont have changed much but Biden's job might be a little harder,

I chose sleep but it is never a good look to have the potential President of the United States getting pushed around or bullied. You can see the Fox lines now, will Putin be polite, will Xi Jinping? If you want someone who can stand up for America Trump's your man.

Of course he's not a very nice man. He's obnoxious, dishonest, racist, misogynist, you name it, but he won't be bullied. Biden, on the other hand...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Oh dear I knew I should have cashed out my Florida bet pre debate. From in profit to deep in the red.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Funny, I just scanned through last nights comments and the majority appear to lean towards a Trump win (ignoring those from Sean who was off his head as usual), with Biden exposed as slow and doddery. The after analysis leans heavily the other way.

Both were correct in their own way. Trump dominated the debate but mainly with constant interruptions and heckling of Biden. Trouble is, it looks unpresidential. Trump is still running as the challenger, not the incumbent.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    My alarm didn’t go off so I missed the debate. Doesn’t seem like I should be disappointed...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115
    Sounds like Trump won the mass debate.

On the grounds he demonstrated he’s the biggest wanker around.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Both were correct in their own way. Trump dominated the debate but mainly with constant interruptions and heckling of Biden. Trouble is, it looks unpresidential. Trump is still running as the challenger, not the incumbent.
    Yes, he looked terrible and ridiculous. The only reason people don't think this was catastrophic for him is because he often looks terrible and ridiculous and did so last time albeit to a much lesser degree, yet he won. But the available polling evidence is what you'd expect, namely that if you look terrible and ridiculous, you're not going to win.
  • Options

My alarm didn’t go off so I missed the debate. Doesn’t seem like I should be disappointed...

Well, you should be disappointed at not knowing how to set an alarm. :smile:
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not only that, I don't think he got any persuasive lines over. This is the difference to last time: Trump was all over the place, lost the debating points to Hillary and ignored most of the questions, but he was hitting actual useful campaign themes that clearly had traction (crooked Hillary etc). This one was all anger and resentment, there was very little "this is what I'll do for the voters", and the attacks on Biden were a mess.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    DavidL said:

I chose sleep but it is never a good look to have the potential President of the United States getting pushed around or bullied. You can see the Fox lines now, will Putin be polite, will Xi Jinping? If you want someone who can stand up for America Trump's your man.

Of course he's not a very nice man. He's obnoxious, dishonest, racist, misogynist, you name it, but he won't be bullied. Biden, on the other hand...
    Do you think that Biden using bully boy tactics will be a vote winner for him? His tactic is to show that he can keep his cool while having to work with juvenile arseholes. It sounds like he only half succeded.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

This is the difference to last time: Trump was all over the place, lost the debating points to Hillary and ignored most of the questions, but he was hitting actual useful campaign themes that clearly had traction (crooked Hillary etc). This one was all anger and resentment, there was very little "this is what I'll do for the voters", and the attacks on Biden were a mess.

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1311178508224266240
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yes, he looked terrible and ridiculous. The only reason people don't think this was catastrophic for him is because he often looks terrible and ridiculous and did so last time albeit to a much lesser degree, yet he won. But the available polling evidence is what you'd expect, namely that if you look terrible and ridiculous, you're not going to win.
    Trump also forgot (or hopes voters will) that he is the incumbent. He spent more time attacking Biden's record than defending his own. This may, of course, have been deliberate, certainly boasting about how many judges he had appointed was aimed squarely at wavering Republicans. Trouble is, Trump needs the undecided, the uncommitted to vote for him and there was nothing here for them.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Do you think that Biden using bully boy tactics will be a vote winner for him? His tactic is to show that he can keep his cool while having to work with juvenile arseholes. It sounds like he only half succeded.
    As I say I didn't see it but I worry.

One of the best lines at debate was Reagan's "well, there he goes again" in response to a blizzard of facts from Carter (ok, its a very poor field). Perhaps Biden aspired to that sort of geniality and disarming charm but I am not seeing any evidence that he got there.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,738
    Trump needed to win this debate and didn’t . Biden was playing defence as he’s in the lead and his team will be overjoyed that he came out of this with polls showing he won this debate .
  • Options
    The German car-makers will insist on a good deal for Britain.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not only that, I don't think he got any persuasive lines over. This is the difference to last time: Trump was all over the place, lost the debating points to Hillary and ignored most of the questions, but he was hitting actual useful campaign themes that clearly had traction (crooked Hillary etc). This one was all anger and resentment, there was very little "this is what I'll do for the voters", and the attacks on Biden were a mess.
    Yes, certainly my impression watching it (although I will leave the American press to pore over the transcripts) was that a lot of Trump's statements were almost random assertions that never went anywhere and were often not even complete sentences but just trailed off. (Which reminds me, PMQs in a few hours!) :wink:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070
    ydoethur said:

Sounds like Trump won the mass debate.

On the grounds he demonstrated he’s the biggest wanker around.

So he pulled it off?
  • Options
    In America surely Trump needed to win the debate, not just "not lose"? Surely wrecking the debate is ultimately an own goal for Trump as Biden is the one a long way in the lead?

If the EU won't compromise then we may as well not have a deal.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    nico679 said:

Trump needed to win this debate and didn’t . Biden was playing defence as he’s in the lead and his team will be overjoyed that he came out of this with polls showing he won this debate .

Using an American Football similie, Biden kept Trump down to a Field Goal, when he needed a Touchdown.
  • Options
    Just finished watching the debate. Haven't laughed so hard and for so long in ages.

Trump. I hoped he'd go over the top early and he did. And didn't stop. Until he had to be told by the Fox moderator that his team agreed the rules and perhaps he might like to stick to them and STFU

Biden. Bumbled over some of his figures but looking straight at the camera was surely more effective than simply ranting as Trump was.

One thing I picked up on linked the start and finish of the debate. Trump is trying to appoint a Supreme Count judge because he is President, and then expects the same Supreme Court to throw out votes cast for his opponent. I have no real idea what Trump's policy position is on anything nor do I think his hardcore supporters care.

For the mass in the middle is a President openly saying he wants to appoint a judge to stop your vote being counted a positive reason to vote for the President? Or against the President...?
  • Options

Just finished watching the debate. Haven't laughed so hard and for so long in ages.

Trump. I hoped he'd go over the top early and he did. And didn't stop. Until he had to be told by the Fox moderator that his team agreed the rules and perhaps he might like to stick to them and STFU

Biden. Bumbled over some of his figures but looking straight at the camera was surely more effective than simply ranting as Trump was.

One thing I picked up on linked the start and finish of the debate. Trump is trying to appoint a Supreme Count judge because he is President, and then expects the same Supreme Court to throw out votes cast for his opponent. I have no real idea what Trump's policy position is on anything nor do I think his hardcore supporters care.

For the mass in the middle is a President openly saying he wants to appoint a judge to stop your vote being counted a positive reason to vote for the President? Or against the President...?

If he's right does it matter?
  • Options

The UK makes up 6% of VW's global sales......they aint going to lose sleep over the UK market
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

The UK makes up 6% of VW's global sales......they aint going to lose sleep over the UK market
    Bye bye Nissan and Vauxhall - and in the slightly longer term Mini and Jaguar.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,693
    Problem for Trump is that the context has changed since 2016. Then he was able to play the aggressive challenger to the same old same old machine politicians, Republican as well as Democrat and kick ass because people feel that America is going in the wrong direction. America is now going in a much wronger direction, which seems to have a lot to do with Trump.

If you are one of a majority disgusted by the debate last night there is one simple thing you can do to make that sort of thing go away: Vote Biden. He doesn't have to be any good at being president.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    eek said:

Mini are already set up in Antwerp and I think Hungary.

I would have liked to think Land Rover need a heritage base in Solihull, but Jaguar moved out of Browns Lane, Coventry without any fanfare years ago, so maybe not.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,246

IanB2 said:

Yes, certainly my impression watching it (although I will leave the American press to pore over the transcripts) was that a lot of Trump's statements were almost random assertions that never went anywhere and were often not even complete sentences but just trailed off. (Which reminds me, PMQs in a few hours!) :wink:
    The question is whether what Trump did playing to *his* peanut gallery or failing badly.

An interesting resource - https://althouse.blogspot.com - a blog by a retired law prof in Wisconsin. She doesn't seem particularly out there, but the comments are normally hardcore pro Trump.

They don't seem very happy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,693
    FF43 said:

Problem for Trump is that the context has changed since 2016. Then he was able to play the aggressive challenger to the same old same old machine politicians, Republican as well as Democrat and kick ass because people feel that America is going in the wrong direction. America is now going in a much wronger direction, which seems to have a lot to do with Trump.

If you are one of a majority disgusted by the debate last night there is one simple thing you can do to make that sort of thing go away: Vote Biden. He doesn't have to be any good at being president.

Although I think Trump's strategy isn't to get people to vote for him. It is to discourage people from voting at all. He reckons he has a more energised base and so can win on differential turnout.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Man that's really bad if it's *Frank Luntz* undecideds.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Tickles me how few people realise the car industry as we know it is already dead, particularly the cross border supply chains for a technology that will be phased out completely in short order.
  • Options
    Trump's enthusiasm to land blows on Biden was counterproductive. Each time Joe started to stumble Trump interjected with a pearl of wisdom.

Difficult to determine whether it changes anything.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

eek said:

I would have liked to think Land Rover need a heritage base in Solihull, but Jaguar moved out of Browns Lane, Coventry without any fanfare years ago, so maybe not.
    Defenders are made in Slovakia, discos there plus India, China, Brazil.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Andy_JS said:

Can't see the YouGov poll - what did it say?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering what historians will call this nationalist, populist Trump/Boris era. Some kind of angry mid life crisis. A spasm of self loathing and self destruction.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

When St Modwen build 50,000 houses on the Lode Lane/ Damson Lane site, one of the planning conditions could be a little museum reflecting Rover and Land Rover's connection to Solihull.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If he's right does it matter?
    Right on appointing a Supreme court judge? Sounds like constitutionally he can do it regardless of the GOP hypocrisy. I don't care one way or another- if Americans wanted to change the long list of horrendous things about their country they would vote accordingly. It's not up to me to tell them how to live.

My point is that what sounds openly like an attempt to stop democratic process isn't necessarily what mid ground voters should be told by the person not wanting them to vote
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

When St Modwen build 50,000 houses on the Lode Lane/ Damson Lane site, one of the planning conditions could be a little museum reflecting Rover and Land Rover's connection to Solihull.

They just demolished the last of the original buildings when the Defender line closed down IIRC
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

As I say I didn't see it but I worry.

One of the best lines at debate was Reagan's "well, there he goes again" in response to a blizzard of facts from Carter (ok, its a very poor field). Perhaps Biden aspired to that sort of geniality and disarming charm but I am not seeing any evidence that he got there.
    I though this was one of the best one liners:

https://twitter.com/ALT_uscis/status/1311122699931078656?s=09
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Tickles me how few people realise the car industry as we know it is already dead, particularly the cross border supply chains for a technology that will be phased out completely in short order.

It is interesting that Biden mentioned building a charging infrastructure in the debate. However, there will still be cars and that means there will still be car-makers. What our politicians need to start superforecasting is, once everyone has an electric car, who will generate all the electricity needed to run them. It's not just about charging points, someone needs to make electricity in the first place.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Would be great, though I am not sure it is going to warrant a detour to Solihull in many people's eyes.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,738

Andy_JS said:

The CBS/YouGov seems to be a poll of just those in the battleground states as it says battleground tracker at the bottom . If Biden leads by 8 there 49 to 41 then he will be very happy .
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Pulpstar said:
    Is that really the best alternative on offer?

How about Merkel? Or even Macron?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    That is being greeted as a killer admission/gaffe/blooper, when surely it is just common sense? No sense in dissing the deplorables, whoever you are.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Would be great, though I am not sure it is going to warrant a detour to Solihull in many people's eyes.
    I was, like the Land Rover, born in Lode Lane, I have to say all roads lead to Solihull!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:
    That is being greeted as a killer admission/gaffe/blooper, when surely it is just common sense? No sense in dissing the deplorables, whoever you are.
    One of Trumps options is to go even more blatantly for the white supremacist vote.

Perhaps the worst thing about the debate was the paucity of discussion of any policy. It was just one angry man and one dignified one.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:
    What on Earth are you talking about? A democratic president that cannot condemn and reject white supremacists is no democrat at all. You don’t pander to these guys. How low we have fallen.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:
    He didn't just not criticise them, he told the Nazi's to "Stand By"
  • Options
    The spreadbetting companies do have a rather unnerving habit of suspending their markets, and not just briefly.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wondering what historians will call this nationalist, populist Trump/Boris era. Some kind of angry mid life crisis. A spasm of self loathing and self destruction.

Certainly self destruction. If Trump wins American democracy is over, at least at the federal level. We have seen nothing yet compared what he (and his sycophantic GOP fellow travellers) will do with four more years. Progressive leaning states will have to leave the union.

We could easily see near civil war frankly. Look at his comment for white supremacy militia to "stand by".

This feels like the most dangerous and politically important few weeks in my lifetime.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    The polling suggests Biden won the debate on a least-bad basis. I wonder whether Trump's strategy is voter suppression - depress turnout to the point that the true enthusiasts dominate. Clearly Trump has more zealots than Biden. But negative reactions are important in politics too, and I think the anti-Trump vote is as motivated as the pro-Trump vote (as the WP said, it's got to the point where many people would vote for almost anyone at all except Trump).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:
    He didn't just not criticise them, he told the Nazi's to "Stand By"
    He isn't going to go quietly is he?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:
    Man that's really bad if it's *Frank Luntz* undecideds.
    But will they actually follow through and vote him out?

• Options
    Jonathan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:
    What on Earth are you talking about? A democratic president that cannot condemn and reject white supremacists is no democrat at all. You don’t pander to these guys. How low we have fallen.
    You don't know much about American history sadly if you think appealing to white supremacists is unusual. That is how the Democrats got the bulk of their vote for a very long time until the Republicans pivoted from being the party of Lincoln to the party seeking the Dixiecrat vote.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The CBS/YouGov seems to be a poll of just those in the battleground states as it says battleground tracker at the bottom . If Biden leads by 8 there 49 to 41 then he will be very happy .
    Who a, if that's just Battlegrounds then depending on the exact states Trump is REKT.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

The polling suggests Biden won the debate on a least-bad basis. I wonder whether Trump's strategy is voter suppression - depress turnout to the point that the true enthusiasts dominate. Clearly Trump has more zealots than Biden. But negative reactions are important in politics too, and I think the anti-Trump vote is as motivated as the pro-Trump vote (as the WP said, it's got to the point where many people would vote for almost anyone at all except Trump).

Trump only wins if he wins or is close to winning on the night of the election..

So he needs to get his voters out in person and needs to do everything he can to ensure non-Trump voters don't vote..
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Just watched a few clips. Looks like Biden clearly rose above the exceedingly low expectations that Team Trump had set for him repeatedly.

Job done.

Tell Biden to cancel the other two debates.
  • Options
    Alok Sharma, the thinking man's Gillian Keegan is on Radio 4 now. A bit tetchy with Martha Kearney.

If one needs to know the rules, go on line, is Mr Sharma's go to statement.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Well, if things go badly in the next few years, I expect it will be called something like, "The Great Revival", and you'd have to be careful about who heard you disagreeing.
This discussion has been closed.