Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The challenge for Trump is that white voters are now significantly less likely to support him than a

Comments

• Sky News reporter in Madrid saying that people appear to be basically ignoring their new lockdown.

Seems like the behavioural scientists might have been right about people can only take very stringent conditions on their lives for a short window.

We might be about to find out just how wrong the likes of Sunetra Gupta were about the first lockdown being redundant because we were already near herd immunity.
  • Maybe we should open a spread bet on how long it will take Sporting Index to reopen their US presidential markets.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited September 2020

Omnium said:

Very glad that Theresa May is now a backbencher and not a PM, good riddance to someone so weak at dealing with Europe. They walked all over her and she's not gotten any better since.

She'll probably be remembered as one of the worst PMs ever. Woefully unfair when you know the ups and downs of her years, but a damning certainty when you don't make those allowances.

A slight degree of competency on her part could well have seen us saying she was the best PM ever. An astonishing falling short.
    No, she'll be seen as what she was: a moderately poor PM with a good sense of duty, who tried to square the Brexit circle, but who screwed up an election and as a result found herself in an utterly impossible position for which she was temperamentally ill-suited.
    May was PM for the same length of time as Brown and Callaghan, she will likely be remembered in the same league, none of them won a majority at a general election either, though they all probably still pip Eden who remains our worst postwar PM
  • Does he work at a regional airport in Italy?
  • So if Boris Johnson's a Catholic I suppose that explains why he's in favour of a messy pull out of the EU?

The withdrawal position I believe it is called.
  • Very glad that Theresa May is now a backbencher and not a PM, good riddance to someone so weak at dealing with Europe. They walked all over her and she's not gotten any better since.

She negotiated away much of the cliff edge that is now confronting Boris Johnson.
    Easily done when you give in to the EU's every demand and when you forget that the cliff edge is a good thing for us.

'She negotiated away any possibility of Brexit being meaningful' . . . great job (!)
  • Is the dope Catholic?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Sky News reporter in Madrid saying that people appear to be basically ignoring their new lockdown.

Seems like the behavioural scientists might have been right about people can only take very stringent conditions on their lives for a short window.

Personally i blame big dom that the Spanish are carrying on against the rules.

The police have said they will inform and advise for two days, then they will go in full force issuing fines and arresting those who resist.
  • So if Boris Johnson's a Catholic I suppose that explains why he's in favour of a messy pull out of the EU?

The withdrawal position I believe it is called.

I guess he'd prefer 'coitus interruptus'.
  • Based on nothing but speculation, one of my father's friends who is a top bod at a NHS trust says this is the plan.

'Tomorrow Boris Johnson introduces some minor reductions and asks the public to stay at home as much as possible and not mix with other households much. Then when in about 10-14 days when cases/hospital numbers continue to increase Boris Johnson tells the country I asked you twats nicely to be good but you haven't, so it's lockdown 2.'
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

10PM curfew on pubs

Maybe I'm stupid but why do people spread the virus more at pubs after 10pm compared to before 10pm?
    Snogging is mostly after 10pm.
    You’re clearly doing it wrong!

Based on nothing but speculation, one of my father's friends who is a top bod at a NHS trust says this is the plan.

'Tomorrow Boris Johnson introduces some minor reductions and asks the public to stay at home as much as possible and not mix with other households much. Then when in about 10-14 days when cases/hospital numbers continue to increase Boris Johnson tells the country I asked you twats nicely to be good but you haven't, so it's lockdown 2.'

Presumably if we have lockdown 2 we also have to have furlough 2?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Hope you are all well this evening. Whatever our differences, with a difficult period ahead, I do wish you all the very best.

Even those who like pineapple pizza? You are most generous.
  • Maybe we should open a spread bet on how long it will take Sporting Index to reopen their US presidential markets.

A spread bet on how many hours SPIN's markets are down for would be an interesting market.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2020
    We know how this story ends. I hope we will learn from last time and not try something half arsed, let things spiral and then have to go draconian.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1308073834768199683

Omaha is important in the Biden carrying Arizona but losing in Florida and Pennsylvania scenario.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Maybe we should open a spread bet on how long it will take Sporting Index to reopen their US presidential markets.

A spread bet on how many hours SPIN's markets are down for would be an interesting market.
    How many hours they’re down for, between the opening of the markets and midnight on Election Day would be a good one. They seemingly shut down every time a poll comes out.
    This 10 pm pub rule is neither fish nor fowl.
  • If the pubs are all closed at 10pm then there won't be any bars to go to after 10pm.

Based on nothing but speculation, one of my father's friends who is a top bod at a NHS trust says this is the plan.

So the government delays purely to avoid the blame.

That’s somewhat pitiful if true.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Omnium said:

Very glad that Theresa May is now a backbencher and not a PM, good riddance to someone so weak at dealing with Europe. They walked all over her and she's not gotten any better since.

She'll probably be remembered as one of the worst PMs ever. Woefully unfair when you know the ups and downs of her years, but a damning certainty when you don't make those allowances.

A slight degree of competency on her part could well have seen us saying she was the best PM ever. An astonishing falling short.
    No, she'll be seen as what she was: a moderately poor PM with a good sense of duty, who tried to square the Brexit circle, but who screwed up an election and as a result found herself in an utterly impossible position for which she was temperamentally ill-suited.
    There aren't so many PMs that have screwed up elections, and there aren't so many PMs that have put themselves in impossible places. We all lived and breathed that journey with her - she's likable enough that we all wanted the weird woman to make good. She didn't though and the goodwill that we journeymen had towards her has dissipated.

We'll see anyway after a few years.

• Jonathan said:

Whatever comes out tomorrow I am fairly certain it will be a national policy agreed in Cobra with Boris, Nicola, Drakeford and Foster

I cannot see how anything else is justifiable

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

10PM curfew on pubs

Maybe I'm stupid but why do people spread the virus more at pubs after 10pm compared to before 10pm?
    Snogging is mostly after 10pm.
    You’re clearly doing it wrong!
    I'd settle for doing it.
  • We were and we are now, but with one or two exceptions like going to Asda or B & Q but with masks on and using handgel and absolutely social distancing
    Pulpstar said:

Omaha is important in the Biden carrying Arizona but losing in Florida and Pennsylvania scenario.

Or the Biden carrying Pennsylvania and Michigan but losing Arizona, Wisconsin and Florida scenario
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Omnium said:

Fair enough, I think. Her ultimate legacy will be not what she achieved, but what she prevented - after 2017, when a Corbynite government was a real and present danger, she managed to hold on long enough for the public to become so frustrated with the gridlock (and the Opposition) that they gave Boris a mandate to break it.

She shall be remembered in the annals of the Conservative Party as Theresa Maxima Cunctatrix ('The Delayer' - not what it sounds like in English!).
    Anecdote from France, from a Formula 1 journalist who needs a test to be allowed on a plane to Russia.
    https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1307798867501412353 https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1308011746104422400
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

We were and we are now, but with one or two exceptions like going to Asda or B & Q but with masks on and using handgel and absolutely social distancing
    How many times can you go to B&Q?
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Or the Biden carrying Pennsylvania and Michigan but losing Arizona, Wisconsin and Florida scenario
    Doesn't work, Trump almost certainly has the congress numbers with a 269-269 tie.
  • Omnium said:

History will be kind to her, as she was succeeded by a PM of such monumental incompetence, her own inadequacies will be largely forgotten.
  • Omnium said:

Fair enough, I think. Her ultimate legacy will be not what she achieved, but what she prevented - after 2017, when a Corbynite government was a real and present danger, she managed to hold on long enough for the public to become so frustrated with the gridlock (and the Opposition) that they gave Boris a mandate to break it.

She shall be remembered in the annals of the Conservative Party as Theresa Maxima Cunctatrix ('The Delayer' - not what it sounds like in English!).
    She might well be remembered as the last genuine Conservative PM
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    The latest ONS infection survey estimated 6k positive tests a day the week to 10 September

The previous ONS infection survey estimated 3.2k positive tests a day the week to 3 September

That is the most statistically rigorous data set we have on the growth rates given limitations of Tier 1/2 testing (i.e. as infection rates increase, ability for people to get tests decreases). And it's broadly consistent with doubling every 7 days.

We'll find out on Friday if that has continued (my guess is the rate of doubling is a little slower than that), but it's clearly increasing uncomfortably quickly in any case.

Omnium said:

History will be kind to her, as she was succeeded by a PM of such monumental incompetence, her own inadequacies will be largely forgotten.
    Plus the £1 million she has already made on the lecture circuit since leaving No 10 has probably helped her get over it
    https://inews.co.uk/news/theresa-may-cash-lecture-circuit-speeches-424155
    edited September 2020
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Doesn't work, Trump almost certainly has the congress numbers with a 269-269 tie.
    Not if Biden also wins Maine 02 which Obama won in 2012 but Trump won in 2016, though yes Biden is now on 269 EC votes excluding top ups so a tie is very possible, which would make this year's election the closest in US history if it happened and possibly lead to legal battles through to Christmas and maybe even beyond

https://twitter.com/LarrySabato/status/1308076423152906240?s=20
  • HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Plus the £1 million she has already made on the lecture circuit since leaving No 10 has probably helped her get over it
    Good to hear someone is making some money! Good luck to her.

I only hope Johnson gets treated as shabbily by someone in the same way as he treated her. I think it is almost certain to happen. Maybe there could be a "who shafts Johnson first" market. Gove must be up there, then the whole of the PCP, once even the thick ones realise what a liability he is. IDS will be last.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    Ratters said:

The latest ONS infection survey estimated 6k positive tests a day the week to 10 September

The previous ONS infection survey estimated 3.2k positive tests a day the week to 3 September

That is the most statistically rigorous data set we have on the growth rates given limitations of Tier 1/2 testing (i.e. as infection rates increase, ability for people to get tests decreases). And it's broadly consistent with doubling every 7 days.

We'll find out on Friday if that has continued (my guess is the rate of doubling is a little slower than that), but it's clearly increasing uncomfortably quickly in any case.

The important question is whether the death rate will be lower than previously given the number of cases.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020

Omnium said:

You misspelt excellence.

She was succeeded by a PM of such monumental excellence that she will indeed by largely forgotten. She was the warm up act to the real deal.
  • dixiedean said:
    I remember the weeks beginning the 9th and 16th of March and the trains/Manchester Piccadilly were so quiet than usual, but idiots still think we only went into lockdown on the 23rd of March.
  • Jonathan said:

Whatever comes out tomorrow I am fairly certain it will be a national policy agreed in Cobra with Boris, Nicola, Drakeford and Foster

We'll see if Nicola wants to play along with a national policy. Her Modus Oper

Omnium said:

You misspelt excellence.

She was succeeded by a PM of such monumental excellence that she will indeed by largely forgotten. She was the warm up act to the real deal.
    This is why I think you're here for a laugh - and that's okay!
  • Andy_JS said:

Ratters said:

The important question is whether the death rate will be lower than previously given the number of cases.
    It will be thanks to the things we've learned from the first wave, but don't fall into the fallacy that only people die from Covid-19 suffer from Covid-19.
  • She was succeeded by a PM of such monumental excellence that she will indeed by largely forgotten. She was the warm up act to the real deal.

Only a few weeks until you will have to eat your hat about the genius of Boris.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547

Omnium said:

David Cameron is the one who is looking a lot worse in hindsight than at the time of office, when he came across as moderate and competent, albeit lacking any beliefs. Now he just looks vacuous and weak in character. The United Kingdom was lost on the playing fields of Eton, to misquote Wellington.

Theresa May's heart will be graved with the Hostile Immigration Environment, but against that she really did try to square the Brexit circle.
  • Jonathan said:

We'll see if Nicola wants to play along with a national policy. Her Modus Oper

Omnium said:

You misspelt excellence.

This is why I think you're here for a laugh - and that's okay!
    The 80 seat majority certainly was a laugh. 😃
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,093
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I only hope Johnson gets treated as shabbily by someone in the same way as he treated her. I think it is almost certain to happen. Maybe there could be a "who shafts Johnson first" market. Gove must be up there, then the whole of the PCP, once even the thick ones realise what a liability he is. IDS will be last.
    Can't help wondering... had TM the then PM not been consistently shafted by Johnson and his acolytes, could she have got a plan that everyone grumpily tolerated through?
  • nichomar said:

We were and we are now, but with one or two exceptions like going to Asda or B & Q but with masks on and using handgel and absolutely social distancing
    How many times can you go to B&Q?
    As many as I want at present
  • She was succeeded by a PM of such monumental excellence that she will indeed by largely forgotten. She was the warm up act to the real deal.

Tick tock, tick tock.

I think he has the potential to be the most transformative and successful PM since Thatcher.

A successful deal or no deal with Europe and a COVID19 vaccine reaching the UK before the rest of Europe gets it certainly leaves the potential for an excellent year next year and these trials and tribulations his Falklands moment.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    Pulpstar said:

This 10 pm pub rule is neither fish nor fowl.

Of course not, it’s our desserts.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Andy_JS said:

Ratters said:

I think it should be, given the ONS analysis of the make-up of the current infections. They should be focused on the younger echelons, before migrating across to the older echelons over the following weeks.

I'd expect that the deaths will be slower in increasing than last time, and reach a lower overall rate than before (treatments have advanced a long way*), but then slower in decreasing afterwards.

*As long as we don't spike all the way to overloading the NHS, at which point the treatments wouldn't be available to all who needed them.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    FF43 said:

Omnium said:

David Cameron is the one who is looking a lot worse in hindsight than at the time of office, when he came across as moderate and competent, albeit lacking any beliefs. Now he just looks vacuous and weak in character. The United Kingdom was lost on the playing fields of Eton, to misquote Wellington.

Theresa May's heart will be graved with the Hostile Immigration Environment, but against that she really did try to square the Brexit circle.
    I reckon she'll be regarded like John Major.
    Shafted by members of her own Party.
    Like Thatcher and Cameron.
    A pattern emerging here. How long before Boris is?
    Difference is, he'll richly deserve it.
  • HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Can't help wondering... had TM the then PM not been consistently shafted by Johnson and his acolytes, could she have got a plan that everyone grumpily tolerated through?
    QTWAIN because her deal was intolerable.

But she was warned that before she signed it but she signed it anyway. First rule of politics is to know how to count and she did not.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Not if Biden also wins Maine 02 which Obama won in 2012 but Trump won in 2016, though yes Biden is now on 269 EC votes excluding top ups so a tie is very possible, which would make this year's election the closest in US history if it happened and possibly lead to legal battles through to Christmas and maybe even beyond

What’s your current projection HY?

I seem to recall it being something like Trump 280-260 Biden last time I asked.
    edited September 2020
    Interesting story out of Dublin: Facebook is refusing to abide by a ruling of the Data Protection Commission in Ireland, threatens to exit the EU market if they don’t back down.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/889pk3/facebook-threatens-to-pull-out-of-europe-if-it-doesnt-get-its-way

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

But she was warned that before she signed it but she signed it anyway. First rule of politics is to know how to count and she did not.
    Johnson’s is apparently intolerable too.

Or at least, so I judge from the fact he has tried to renege on it.
    Mays premiership was systematically and quite deliberately undermined by Boris Johnson in his quest to become PM.

She will be remembered as weak, but straightforward.

He will be remembered as a pound shop Francis Urquhart who did a lot of damage purely to satisfy his personal ambition.

edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

She has a way to go to match Tony Blair though who a year after he left office in 2008 was earning £12 million and was apparently at one point the world's highest paid speaker lecture for lecture, even earning more than Bill Clinton, including earning $616,000 in 2009 for 2 half hour lectures in the Philippines
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lectures-see-tony-blair-earnings-jump-over-pound12m-fr5c8fkhzm3
    http://publicspeaking.co.ke/post/10-highest-paid-public-speakers-in-the-world
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Boris voted for it
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    So we’re moving from level 3.5 to 4? Lol.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Boris voted for it
    He was wrong to do so.

Even Boris isn't infallible.
  • So we’re moving from level 3.5 to 4? Lol.

3 to 4.

We moved from 4 to 3 in mid June.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,776

Or its the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, which goes along the lines of, in order for you to be convinced our measures first time around worked, there has to be a big reaction when they are removed. Otherwise you'll be complaining about all those extra cancer deaths and suicides our measures caused, not to mention the mass uneployment.

Those 'extra cancer deaths and suicides' haven't appeared in the excess deaths figures yet. It is possible, indeed probable, that they will eventually. No-one has ever denied that, nor is there a living soul who has denied that the economic effects of lockdown are dire (although they might not be more dire than letting rip, it's hard to say).

What you don't seem to be able to understand is that this a difficult set of trade-offs, and there are no magic bullets that will somehow make the problems go away. Whitty, Vallance etc completely understand that, and repeatedly make it clear that they understand it.
    I think there is significant evidence that the trade offs being served up to us are and hgave been manifestly false. Ferguson's half a million. That absurd table today from Whitty and Vallance.
    With all due respect, it's clear that there is no clear and perfect strategy.

We all lionise Sweden on here. Yet in Sweden, the polling is that they think the Germans got it right and they got it wrong.

The problem is that places without lockdowns end up implementing many of the lockdown procedures anyway. Arizona's a good example. There's no mandate on mask wearing at either the City or State level. Yet, every shop has mask regulations. Most have security guards at the door who will refuse entry to those without masks.

Why?

Because otherwise, otherwise people won't shop there.

Shopping centres, bars and restaraunts are all deserted, despite the lack of lockdown. If people don't feel safe, they don't go out.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Going back to what @RCS has highlighted before re ticket splitting deteriorating, can anyone explain why the Congressional race would be a dead heat but Biden is at +6?
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I am now going to go for 269 269, Biden holds all the Hillary states and picks up Michigan, Pennsylvania and NE02 but Trump holds his other states, it would also poetically reflect a USA more divided than ever before

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Boris voted for it
    He was wrong to do so.

Even Boris isn't infallible.
    He voted for it only once his primary mission was accomplished.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited September 2020

Tick tock, tick tock.

I think he has the potential to be the most transformative and successful PM since Thatcher.

A successful deal or no deal with Europe and a COVID19 vaccine reaching the UK before the rest of Europe gets it certainly leaves the potential for an excellent year next year and these trials and tribulations his Falklands moment.
    Is Johnson General Galtieri in this analogy?
  • dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

Major and (to a lesser extent) Cameron were shafted by the electorate, ultimately. I know members of their own party made that so much more likely, but it was still the electorate who dealt the death blow - certainly for Major, and to a large degree for Cameron.

I think losing in that way helps politicians' reputation to some extent. Both Thatcher's and Blair's reputation would be considerably softened if they'd stayed on and lost in 1992 and 2010 respectively, in my view. People would still hotly debate their record, but it really diffuses the hate to, as it were, die in battle. I don't think the left has ever really got over never beating Thatcher, nor the right never beating Blair - it festers.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,776
    Sandpit said:

Interesting story out of Dublin: Facebook is refusing to abide by a ruling of the Data Protection Commission in Ireland, threatens to exit the EU market if they don’t back down.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/889pk3/facebook-threatens-to-pull-out-of-europe-if-it-doesnt-get-its-way

Can they threaten to leave the UK market too?

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

Major and (to a lesser extent) Cameron were shafted by the electorate, ultimately. I know members of their own party made that so much more likely, but it was still the electorate who dealt the death blow - certainly for Major, and to a large degree for Cameron.

I think losing in that way helps politicians' reputation to some extent. Both Thatcher's and Blair's reputation would be considerably softened if they'd stayed on and lost in 1992 and 2010 respectively, in my view. People would still hotly debate their record, but it really diffuses the hate to, as it were, die in battle. I don't think the left has ever really got over never beating Thatcher, nor the right never beating Blair - it festers.
    Although a significant difference is the Left have never quite got over not beating Blair either.
  • Site a bit slow this evening
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I am now going to go for 269 269, Biden holds all the Hillary states and picks up Michigan, Pennsylvania and NE02 but Trump holds his other states, it would also poetically reflect a USA more divided than ever before
    Interesting, I also ended up with that first time I tried. Latterly I tried a scenario that ended Biden 270-268 Trump and from memory that didn’t included PA!

In any case, I’m around a similar bracket to you.
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

Blair actually made the right decision to go in 2007 10 years after he came to power, even if the Brownites were pushing the issue and of course he made Brown face the 2008 crash not him, Thatcher should have gone in 1989 after ten years in power on a high and before the poll tax.

Even the best PMs have no more than a ten year shelf life, one thing the US does well is ensuring its presidents cannot serve more than 8 years to bring in fresh blood
  • Sheffield United are going down with Manchester United aren't they?
  • Sheffield United are going down with Manchester United aren't they?

Lots of weak teams this year in EPL. West ham, fulham, Newcastle, aston villa, southampton, west brom.
  • A group of scientists and doctors have written to the Prime Minister urging him not to opt for a second lockdown and to stop presenting Covid-19 as a mortal danger.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8756793/Leading-academics-write-open-letter-Boris-Johnson-warning-against-second-lockdown.html
    HYUFD said:
    It is the latter. For example, Holocaust denial dates to the time of Paul Rassinier in the 1950s, or Ricardianism to Clements Markham in the early twentieth century, but outside a handful of cranks nobody paid the slightest attention as nobody would publish such nonsense so nobody would read it.

But now the internet is available to anyone with a computer and a router, any fool can lie about reality, and many of them do.
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

Blair actually made the right decision to go in 2007, even if the Brownites were pushing the issue, Thatcher should have gone in 1989 after ten years in power on a high and before the poll tax.

Even the best PMs have no more than a ten year shelf life, one thing the US does well is ensuring its presidents cannot serve more than 8 years to bring in fresh blood
    Blair should have fought off Brown's ridiculous aspirations. Labour would be in a far better place today if he had done so, and he'd have a better press too.

Maggie should have fought on. Again the aspirations of her challengers were ridiculous. She would probably have lost, and it was clear that she'd have to go anyway. Nonetheless losing to a shadow dance wasn't the right outcome.

The right don't care two hoots about not beating Blair because he's so undermined by his own party.
  • HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

This polling result from Nebraska's only urban/suburban congressional district (Omaha + burbs & exurbs) highlight's the SERIOUS problem for Trumpsky AND the RNC with suburban voters. Who were once THE base of the Republican party but whom are increasingly allergic to the GOP and esp. it's Fearless Leader.

This suburban slump is major cause for Trumpsky's decline among White voters.

Further, note that the passing of RBG does NOT help The Donald or the GOP in the burbs. Instead, it is give plenty of pro-choice Republican-leaning women across suburban American ANOTHER key reason why NOT to vote for Trumpsky and the Republicans this Fall.

rcs1000 said:
    The Internet had allowed people who are susceptible to conspiracy theories to be exposed to conspiracy theories far more easily and then immediately plug them into a community of conspiracy theory believers.

It honestly feels like only Russia and Saudi Arabia has a handle on this form of information warfare.
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:
    The Internet had allowed people who are susceptible to conspiracy theories to be exposed to conspiracy theories far more easily and then immediately plug them into a community of conspiracy theory believers.

It honestly feels like only Russia and Saudi Arabia has a handle on this form of information warfare.
    Well, yes. Which in itself is alarming given how good they are at it.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Yes, given that it's been established (by Philip) that we have the unilateral right to break the terms of the Withdrawal agreement, it's not really obvious why this only applies to the one that was signed.

Especially as the main objection from hard Brexiteers to May's deal was that we would be trapped by its conditions if the EU acted in bad faith and unreasonably in seeking to replace the backstop trade provisions with a mutually beneficial agreement. Which he now argues was not the case at all.
  • HYUFD said:
    Wow! Is it possible to go on (socially-distanced & suitably-masked) tours of these tunnels?

NOW is the time to start building a Disney-Dickensian theme park in the bowels of the Big Smoke! What a post-COVID tourist attraction!! And just in time to take the place of the financial sector as a foreign-exchange earner!!!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Sandpit said:

Mental, Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram. I use two of those.
  • ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    It is the latter. For example, Holocaust denial dates to the time of Paul Rassinier in the 1950s, or Ricardianism to Clements Markham in the early twentieth century, but outside a handful of cranks nobody paid the slightest attention as nobody would publish such nonsense so nobody would read it.

But now the internet is available to anyone with a computer and a router, any fool can lie about reality, and many of them do.
    Yes, but the problem is that the internet seems to make lunacy contagious.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:
    Closing time was 10.30 in the 80s.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Can they threaten to leave the UK market too?
    No, a world without WhatsApp is a sad place. Even Instagram is fun to keep up with friends at the moment. Facebook I'm much less fussed about.
  • HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

Blair actually made the right decision to go in 2007 10 years after he came to power, even if the Brownites were pushing the issue and of course he made Brown face the 2008 crash not him, Thatcher should have gone in 1989 after ten years in power on a high and before the poll tax.

Of course the infusion of "fresh blood" we got after the 2016 election was akin to the wonder tonic prescribed by Dr. Frankenstein.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but the problem is that the internet seems to make lunacy contagious.
    Like any other large, empty chamber, it sets up echoes.
  • alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Yes, given that it's been established (by Philip) that we have the unilateral right to break the terms of the Withdrawal agreement, it's not really obvious why this only applies to the one that was signed.

Especially as the main objection from hard Brexiteers to May's deal was that we would be trapped by its conditions if the EU acted in bad faith and unreasonably in seeking to replace the backstop trade provisions with a mutually beneficial agreement. Which he now argues was not the case at all.
    Off the top of my head a couple of big differences.
    1. In her deal NI would have been legally within the EU's Customs Territory. Boris's deal legally confirmed NI as part of the UK's Customs Territory.
    2. The UK ceasing control of a foreign power's Customs Territory would be a bigger breach than simply changing the rules within our own.
    3. The UK's breaches now are "limited" whereas abandoning the backstop would have been a massive breach.

a COVID19 vaccine reaching the UK before the rest of Europe gets it
    Another commitment he'll renege upon?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/uk-joins-who-backed-effort-share-vaccines-globally/

Sheffield United are going down with Manchester United aren't they?

Dunk or Egan I thought. Dunk or Egan.

I chose poorly
This discussion has been closed.