Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ruthless: RBG’s death has given Trump a Black Swan to exploit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    On past history Trump is bound to nominate somebody who is forced to withdraw, so may well become moot. There is also the outside possibility he chooses somebody who is vulnerable to a Democrat impeachment if they take House and Senate.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Food prices appear to have gone up considerable these last few weeks?

We’ve had the worst harvest in many years in this country due to dry weather followed by raging storms. So all our food has to be imported.

And while there is a surplus elsewhere in the world as Canada and Oz have done OK, our currency has been tanking due to Cummings being mad as a box of frogs, so prices of imports have gone up.

It’s a good job we’re not planning to do anything reckless, like, say, cut off trading links with our largest suppliers of foodstuffs.

Ah...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/farming/east-anglian-cereal-yields-hit-by-extreme-weather-1-6781165

Edit - this situation may also be why the government is panicking over the food security of Northern Ireland, of course.
    Thanks, that would explain it. Replicating supermarket orders I placed in August for delivery in October, the same items cost in total between 5-10% more. This isn’t showing in the CPI given the reduction due to Rishi’s Covid dinners and other virus related price falls.
    I am afraid that situation is going to get worse before it gets better. February looks alarmingly like the potential for a perfect storm in terms of food security, between the ongoing disruption of trade due to Covid, Brexit, poor global weather and a lack of port capacity. We could easily see really massive price hikes leading into next spring.
    Tough on poor people, who need to buy food, but won’t be able to enjoy the price reductions in meals out, travel, and the rest. And will have any wage or benefit or pension income frozen if CPI stays negligible.

Maybe I should fill the car with food before I return to the UK.
    I think it is going to be tough on rather more than just poor people. It’s going to hit food banks hard, of course, and those on benefits. But I can easily see a lot of middle income people being pulled into this as well given how insecure our food supples are looking. I’m expecting an awful lot of signs of undernourishment in children next year.
    Oh don't be ridiculous. The mark of poverty in this country is obesity. This will not change.
    However you do get lots of poor skinny people.
    Worldwide yes. In the UK they are very much the minority. Poor diets with cheap unhealthy food loaded with fats and carbohydrates is what they can afford and what they get. If we spent more subsidising vegetable and fruit the NHS would not have such a heavy case load. (Yes, the pun was intended)
    Fruit, vegetables and meat are very cheap. You can buy a whole chicken for £2.50 and add potatoes, carrots, greens peas and a bag of apples for about £6 altogether. That would feed a family of 4 for the price of one burger meal from McDonalds.

I have no idea where the idea that fast food is cheaper comes from.
    Not fast food. Convenience food. 49 pence pizzas.also that lovely chicken and veg meal you've put together requires multiple different cooking implements and time.
    You can get a couple of oven dishes and a pot to cook the vegetables for about £5 that last years. You have an oven already if you're cooking pizzas in it.

Unemployed people with no money have more time than anyone else.
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

None.
    Anyone blaming lack of a cheap pot and a few spoons and knives etc for eating fast food is at the kidding. Ready made crap from supermarkets is more expensive than buying cheap cuts and vegetables and making your own. Does not take much to knock up a pot of soup , or stovies and such like, mince and tatties and veg etc. There are low cost variants of all those that are far cheaper than fast crap.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt there will be any confirmed appointment to replace Bader Ginsburg until after the election. Trump and the Republicans know in particular that there will be huge evangelical turnout at the prospect of replacing the most pro abortion Justice on the court with a conservative.

It was high evangelical support which proved pivotal in 2004 in winning George W Bush a second term, the last re elected Republican president

You’re assuming that Republican senators want him re-elected. Maybe some of them would happily trade his defeat for securing a long term majority on the court. Some might even see it secretly as a win-win.

There is another angle to this though. A Republican nominee would fix the court balance decisively for a generation. Even worse the next change is likely to be neutral for the Democrats at best. Doesn’t it actually suit Republicans (Pres candidates and Senators alike) for the balance of the Supreme Court to be a live issue? Remove this issue and for the foreseeable future Republicans are going to need to find other reasons to get voters to support them.
    Republican Senators up for re election this year will also want a delay to ensure high evangelical turnout for them
    I do find it baffling that so many US evangelicals are obsessed with abortion but don’t care about infidelity, lying or fraud. Do they perhaps have a different version of the 10 Commandments?
  • Options
    If he was earning over £300k previously then he should have been able to save plenty of it.

If he didn't then that suggests personal financial irresponsibility.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt there will be any confirmed appointment to replace Bader Ginsburg until after the election. Trump and the Republicans know in particular that there will be huge evangelical turnout at the prospect of replacing the most pro abortion Justice on the court with a conservative.

It was high evangelical support which proved pivotal in 2004 in winning George W Bush a second term, the last re elected Republican president

Doesn’t it also work the other way: those groups worried about just such a development also have an incentive to turn out?
    Yes but pro choice liberals are mainly concentrated in New York, San Francisco, Boston etc ie in states that are already safe for Biden and the Democrats anyway, pro life evangelicals tend to live more in the swing states
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Is this really a shock? I thought everyone knew that the SPADs were wearing the trousers in this relationship.
  • Options

If he was earning over £300k previously then he should have been able to save plenty of it.

Divorce and lots of children are expensive hobbies.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,006

This is interesting, and shows what a mistake it was to choose Ms Dodds as Shadow Chancellor:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307236950731038721

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307237756557570048

Yes, if I were Starmer I would replace Dodds with Ed Miliband or Yvette Cooper
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I do find it baffling that so many US evangelicals are obsessed with abortion but don’t care about infidelity, lying or fraud. Do they perhaps have a different version of the 10 Commandments?

I think it makes sense from their point of view. If you start from the premise that abortion is morally exactly equivalent to infanticide, which they do (and it's a perfectly arguable point), then it follows that it is one of the most pernicious evils in modern society. In comparison, one man's lying, infidelity or fraud is something which can be left as between him and his Maker.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn’t it also work the other way: those groups worried about just such a development also have an incentive to turn out?
    Dem voters seemingly don't give a shit about the SC.
    Why on earth not?

A genuine question this: it was victories in the SC which helped advance equal rights for black people and women and gays etc. Surely this is understood and that changes in the court’s composition therefore matter?

And if not, why not?
    Genuinely perplexing. I think I've seen some research putting it down to the impact of the Warren court fixing in Dems minds a platonic ideal of a Supreme Court no longer matched by reality.

It honestly feels like Dem Voters for the last 40 years have been fixated on the Presidency at the expense of everything else. As long as they get a Dem president then everything is 'fine' it doesn't matter if Cognress, Senate, Supreme Court, Governorships and statehouses are held by the GOP as long as the mgaiv President is Dem then they are 'in charge'.

The GOP is far, far smarter.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

There are plenty of people who manage to do them without £300k per year.
  • Options

Personal responsibility? From Boris? Where have you been these last few years?
  • Options
    I find myself becoming a Metaphysical Solipsist. The world exists purely for my entertainment. No other explanation makes any sense.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:
    Violin shown actual size.
    here's an idea johnson. pack it in and go be editor of the telegraph.

do us all a massive favour. maybe somebody vaguely up to the job can take the £150k?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    At the heart of Mr Johnson's problems is a mutual sense of distrust, and sometimes loathing, between Tory MPs and 10 Downing Street.

“The parliamentary party always dislikes the centre, it was the same under David [Cameron] and Theresa [May],” said one influential MP. “The difference now is that Downing Street doesn’t give a fuck in return.”

One Tory official who has worked with Mr Johnson in government said his problems were mainly due to those around him in Number 10 — notably chief adviser Dominic Cummings, who ran the Vote Leave campaign in the 2016 Brexit referendum.

“Boris won the referendum and the election thanks to the Vote Leave cabal,” said the official. “He sees them as his conduit to power but there’s a risk their deficiencies will undermine his whole government.” Privately many Conservative MPs want Mr Cummings — not Mr Johnson — out of Downing Street.

https://www.ft.com/content/dbe3cd49-20c7-4ba5-9d61-91bdfba904e9
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Just a Pot Noodle and a wank of an evening for Johnson at the moment then.
    At least it's sex with someone he loves.
    Also, who doesn't love a Pot Noodle?
  • Options
    OK, I know the PM's salary now does not quite get you into the top 1% of earners for which you need to earn £160,000 a year or more but nonetheless he and Carrie have Chequers, a big 16th century mansion in the Buckinghamshire countryside at weekends, it is not as if all the PM has is the Downing Street flat
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

We’ve had the worst harvest in many years in this country due to dry weather followed by raging storms. So all our food has to be imported.

And while there is a surplus elsewhere in the world as Canada and Oz have done OK, our currency has been tanking due to Cummings being mad as a box of frogs, so prices of imports have gone up.

It’s a good job we’re not planning to do anything reckless, like, say, cut off trading links with our largest suppliers of foodstuffs.

Ah...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/farming/east-anglian-cereal-yields-hit-by-extreme-weather-1-6781165

Edit - this situation may also be why the government is panicking over the food security of Northern Ireland, of course.
    Thanks, that would explain it. Replicating supermarket orders I placed in August for delivery in October, the same items cost in total between 5-10% more. This isn’t showing in the CPI given the reduction due to Rishi’s Covid dinners and other virus related price falls.
    I am afraid that situation is going to get worse before it gets better. February looks alarmingly like the potential for a perfect storm in terms of food security, between the ongoing disruption of trade due to Covid, Brexit, poor global weather and a lack of port capacity. We could easily see really massive price hikes leading into next spring.
    Tough on poor people, who need to buy food, but won’t be able to enjoy the price reductions in meals out, travel, and the rest. And will have any wage or benefit or pension income frozen if CPI stays negligible.

I think it is going to be tough on rather more than just poor people. It’s going to hit food banks hard, of course, and those on benefits. But I can easily see a lot of middle income people being pulled into this as well given how insecure our food supples are looking. I’m expecting an awful lot of signs of undernourishment in children next year.
    Oh don't be ridiculous. The mark of poverty in this country is obesity. This will not change.
    For every three times a day McDonalds consuming glutton, there is a child whose only daily calorie intake is school lunch.

If Wayne and Waynetta Slob are blowing the family credits on cider, fags and fast food, how does Slob Jnr. survive?
    The stats, which Carlotta has linked to already, show otherwise. Slob jnr has a terrible diet but any hunger is caused by the nature of the food he is consuming.
    My ratio may have been very, very cavalier, but my general point I believe stands.

I am in the realms here of deserving and undeserving poor, which is not a good place to be. I was looking at a programme about a 'soup kitchen' in Lima. No sign of the McDonalds option there.

My wife from time to time takes in 'parent and child' foster placements. It's a social conscience, rather than a financial action. A startling feature I have noticed is most would prefer to spend their unearned income on an expensive Emma's (baby food) pouch, rather than mash up a banana or boil and mash a carrot.So yes I can see your point. On the flip side, I have also seen small and stunted foster children who are malnourished, not by eating processed garbage but by eating too little.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Worldwide yes. In the UK they are very much the minority. Poor diets with cheap unhealthy food loaded with fats and carbohydrates is what they can afford and what they get. If we spent more subsidising vegetable and fruit the NHS would not have such a heavy case load. (Yes, the pun was intended)
    Fruit, vegetables and meat are very cheap. You can buy a whole chicken for £2.50 and add potatoes, carrots, greens peas and a bag of apples for about £6 altogether. That would feed a family of 4 for the price of one burger meal from McDonalds.

Not fast food. Convenience food. 49 pence pizzas.also that lovely chicken and veg meal you've put together requires multiple different cooking implements and time.
    You can get a couple of oven dishes and a pot to cook the vegetables for about £5 that last years. You have an oven already if you're cooking pizzas in it.

Unemployed people with no money have more time than anyone else.
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

None.
    Well that line of argument has definitely convinced me.
    The biggest barrier to the people cooking, in my experience, is the human barrier.

"I don't know how", "Never cooked in my family" etc

Quite a few people, throughout the income range, live off ready meals. The richer ones simply buy better stuff from outfits such as - https://www.cookfood.net

I have met many people, over the years, whose fridge is full of water, a loaf of bread etc and the freezer is packed with ready meals. There is cereal in the cupboard for breakfast.... The kitchen is immaculate - since it is never used to cook. The microwave is worn out....

Cooking is a habit, as well as a skill, that needs to be acquired.

Beware of the selection bias here - I will be that everyone on this board was (a) read to as a child (b) reads to their own children (if they have young children)
  • Options

Personal responsibility? From Boris? Where have you been these last few years?
    I don't expect it and nor I suspect does anyone else.

And what I also suspect is that many people secretly admire someone who gets away with the 'Jack-the-Lad' lifestyle.

But they will not have sympathy for any attempts to plead poverty from such a person.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In other news, the overnight YouGov is interesting in that it shows the government's strategy of throwing out Brexit and culture wars red meat out there to keep its voting coalition together and to depress Labour support is not working. Should that become established, and with what is coming, what else do the Tories have except the nuclear option of changing leader?

Notably, this was the first YouGov to give Labour 40% or more of the vote share since July 2018.

Actually if you look at the details of the poll the LDs are down 5% from 11% to 6% since GE19 and Labour up 8% from 32% to 40%, the Tories are only down 3% from 43% to 40%.

So the Tories are still holding most of their vote, the main movement is still Remainers from the LDs to Starmer Labour, that would leave the Tories as largest party but Starmer able to become PM with SNP and LD support in a hung parliament
    Labour are two or three points off their peak. Davey, however could pick up a handful of points from the Tories. The combination of the two puts the Conservatives in the deep stuff, even if they keep parts of the Red Wall they are not looking secure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    edited September 2020
    pre-announcing that in mid-october there is going to be a to be a lockdown is really going to work isn't it.

lots of people will prioritise seeing mates, family, pub get togethers and so on for next two weeks knowing the lockdown is coming and may not end after the two weeks. could be last chance now this side of new year.

shambles.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Don't know about divorce but kids aren't that expensive. Perhaps they cost more if you insist on having them with several different people. I've managed 25 years of monogamy and the resulting offspring are fairly economical.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Don't know about divorce but kids aren't that expensive. Perhaps they cost more if you insist on having them with several different people. I've managed 25 years of monogamy and the resulting offspring are fairly economical.
    kids == expensive when they are all at fantastic public schools
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Here's a bit of good news for those railing against the dark side amidst the death of RBG.

At last! We have an up to date Nebraska District 2 poll. The first for nearly 2 months. Biden remains 6 points ahead there, he was 7 ahead in the two polls in June/July.

The poll confirms that Biden has a very plausible path to winning without Pennysylvania's 20 votes by picking up Arizona and one of either NE2 (or ME2) as well as Wisconsin and Michigan (with Biden already polling very strongly in both). The one vote in NE2 would take him to 270. Arizona already looked good for Biden but with the absence of polling in NE2 that route was still a bit of an unknown quantity. Now it's not.

Basically, if Trump is to win then Biden now has to go backwards some way on the polling in BOTH Pennysylvania AND Arizona/NE2. As the two sets are quite different demographically (one rust belt, the other Latino and expanding City with suburbs) then you can't assume that happening from just a uniform swing.

Biden also has a chance in ME 2 being ahead in the most recent polls there although it looks closer than NE2 and more vulnerable to a swing back to Trump.

It should be noted that Arizona has an above average percentage of evangelicals as does North Carolina and Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania less so, this will therefore make it more likely Trump will hold the first 3 and the election will come down to Biden needing to win Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin or 2 of those plus Florida
    Wrong as usual. Florida plus one of those is enough.
    But there's also no good reason to think Florida is easier for Biden than Arizona..
    Even Romney and McCain won Arizona when Obama won Florida, Arizona is a GOP leaning state and the SC news will likely tip it to Trump with high evangelical turnout, so that leaves Biden needing the 3 Midwest states or 1 of those plus Florida
  • Options

Anyone blaming lack of a cheap pot and a few spoons and knives etc for eating fast food is at the kidding. Ready made crap from supermarkets is more expensive than buying cheap cuts and vegetables and making your own. Does not take much to knock up a pot of soup , or stovies and such like, mince and tatties and veg etc. There are low cost variants of all those that are far cheaper than fast crap.

The working poor do not have time to faff around making food that takes ages to cook. One of the features of the working poor is not just being cash poor but being time poor. And the notion they can do it for less than the price of pizza's and ready meals from Lidl/Iceland is for the birds.

Someone was saying they should roast a £2.5 chicken, as if they have over an hour to cook dinner, or the cost of the electricity to run the oven for so long.

Never mind that a £2.50 chicken is a piece of crap nutritionally - a Goodfella's Pepperoni pizza is less Fat than a shite factory farmed bird and only half the protein per 100g.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    alex_ said:

On past history Trump is bound to nominate somebody who is forced to withdraw, so may well become moot. There is also the outside possibility he chooses somebody who is vulnerable to a Democrat impeachment if they take House and Senate.

Surely, it is the Senate confirmation hearings that will be the bulk of the delay. They seemed to go on ages with Brett Kavanaugh.

Tis a pity that judicial ability, and Constitutional competence will barely be considered in the appointment process.
  • Options

This is interesting, and shows what a mistake it was to choose Ms Dodds as Shadow Chancellor:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307236950731038721

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307237756557570048

I think that is still the legacy of Corbyn, far more than anything to do with Dodds. They have 3-4 more years to get that association out of peoples minds, and are on track to do so.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

You’re assuming that Republican senators want him re-elected. Maybe some of them would happily trade his defeat for securing a long term majority on the court. Some might even see it secretly as a win-win.

There is another angle to this though. A Republican nominee would fix the court balance decisively for a generation. Even worse the next change is likely to be neutral for the Democrats at best. Doesn’t it actually suit Republicans (Pres candidates and Senators alike) for the balance of the Supreme Court to be a live issue? Remove this issue and for the foreseeable future Republicans are going to need to find other reasons to get voters to support them.
    Republican Senators up for re election this year will also want a delay to ensure high evangelical turnout for them
    They do care and there was some evidence they were falling out of enthusiasm for Trump this year but now they will hold their noses and vote for him flaws and all because his personal life does not override the chance to save thousands of babies every year from abortion and to get a pro life Justice to replace a pro choice Justice
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

I find myself becoming a Metaphysical Solipsist. The world exists purely for my entertainment. No other explanation makes any sense.

You're entertained by this? Weird. Change the channel please.
  • Options

Some things to consider -

- Very limited time to push through an appointment before the election. I believe that there are something like 13 days of Senate business planned before the election.
    - All the senators are out campaigning.
    - A lame duck appointment could happen.
    - Given the voter suppression and other crap planned by various Republicans from Trump down, another vote in the Court would be very, very useful in the event of a contested election.

I can *just about* see McConnell pushing a candidate through in a 10 minute session, but that would be a reach, even for him.

McConnell is an absolute bastard. I put nothing past him.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

For every three times a day McDonalds consuming glutton, there is a child whose only daily calorie intake is school lunch.

If Wayne and Waynetta Slob are blowing the family credits on cider, fags and fast food, how does Slob Jnr. survive?
    The stats, which Carlotta has linked to already, show otherwise. Slob jnr has a terrible diet but any hunger is caused by the nature of the food he is consuming.
    My ratio may have been very, very cavalier, but my general point I believe stands.

I am in the realms here of deserving and undeserving poor, which is not a good place to be. I was looking at a programme about a 'soup kitchen' in Lima. No sign of the McDonalds option there.

My wife from time to time takes in 'parent and child' foster placements. It's a social conscience, rather than a financial action. A startling feature I have noticed is most would prefer to spend their unearned income on an expensive Emma's (baby food) pouch, rather than mash up a banana or boil and mash a carrot.So yes I can see your point. On the flip side, I have also seen small and stunted foster children who are malnourished, not by eating processed garbage but by eating too little.
    Lima may well be very different. There are many parts of the world where things still are. I fully accept that. In the UK exceptional thinness in the young is usually a sign of an eating disorder or an addiction.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

In other news, the overnight YouGov is interesting in that it shows the government's strategy of throwing out Brexit and culture wars red meat out there to keep its voting coalition together and to depress Labour support is not working. Should that become established, and with what is coming, what else do the Tories have except the nuclear option of changing leader?

Notably, this was the first YouGov to give Labour 40% or more of the vote share since July 2018.

Actually if you look at the details of the poll the LDs are down 5% from 11% to 6% since GE19 and Labour up 8% from 32% to 40%, the Tories are only down 3% from 43% to 40%.

So the Tories are still holding most of their vote, the main movement is still Remainers from the LDs to Starmer Labour, that would leave the Tories as largest party but Starmer able to become PM with SNP and LD support in a hung parliament
    Labour are two or three points off their peak. Davey, however could pick up a handful of points from the Tories. The combination of the two puts the Conservatives in the deep stuff, even if they keep parts of the Red Wall they are not looking secure.
    If we go to No Deal Brexit there may be some movement from Remain voting Tories to the LDs and Starmer Labour in the Home Counties and London but the Red Wall will see far less movement, for them 2019 was a cultural shift to the Tories on a pro Brexit agenda
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The Boris brood began in 1993 so some shouldn't be costing anything now.

Besides Marina Wheeler is a barrister so she should be contributing as well as Boris.
  • Options
    Re the poor and diet etc.

Have there been any studies as to how this varies depending on location ?

Inner city poor, peripheral council estate poor, rural poor, poor in affluent areas etc.
  • Options
    Is there a reason that I can no longer see tweets on Vanilla?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

The working poor do not have time to faff around making food that takes ages to cook. One of the features of the working poor is not just being cash poor but being time poor. And the notion they can do it for less than the price of pizza's and ready meals from Lidl/Iceland is for the birds.

Someone was saying they should roast a £2.5 chicken, as if they have over an hour to cook dinner, or the cost of the electricity to run the oven for so long.

Never mind that a £2.50 chicken is a piece of crap nutritionally - a Goodfella's Pepperoni pizza is less Fat than a shite factory farmed bird and only half the protein per 100g.
    Electricity costs between 12 and 24p per kWh in the UK, for domestic consumption.

An oven running at highish power - 180c - would use around 1.5kW

So the electricity cost of cooking for 1 hour would be 18-36p, depending on your supplier.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I think it makes sense from their point of view. If you start from the premise that abortion is morally exactly equivalent to infanticide, which they do (and it's a perfectly arguable point), then it follows that it is one of the most pernicious evils in modern society. In comparison, one man's lying, infidelity or fraud is something which can be left as between him and his Maker.
    Yes - but the 10 Commandments don’t make a distinction between these evils. “Thou shalt not bear false witness” is on a par with “Thou shalt not kill”.

So by giving importance to one and ignoring the others they are substituting their own judgment for the word of God. So even in their own terms they are not really following the Bible properly.

It seems to me that hatred and fear of women is very widespread. Whether it is religion which has given rise to this or whether it has developed so as to give some justification for it I don’t know. But every single society tries to find ways to restrict, limit or control women and those that do are often the ones happiest to turn a blind eye to men behaving equally badly.

Baffling.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Surely, it is the Senate confirmation hearings that will be the bulk of the delay. They seemed to go on ages with Brett Kavanaugh.

Tis a pity that judicial ability, and Constitutional competence will barely be considered in the appointment process.
    |I don't think that is the real pity. The real pity is that the appointment of a judge whose job is to apply the law impartially is a political matter. Add in the absurd powers given to the SC under the Constitution (arguably the most overrated document in history) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Edit, those who spent much of this week wittering on about the importance of the rule of law really should reflect on this. Is this what they want?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Depends if they are on a scholarship or bursary which reduces the cost a bit
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Dura_Ace said:

Just a Pot Noodle and a wank of an evening for Johnson at the moment then.
    At least it's sex with someone he loves.
    Also, who doesn't love a Pot Noodle?
    Unilever use animal testing so fuck them. Although the beef ones are vegan apparently.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

You're entertained by this? Weird. Change the channel please.
    I would like to, but the world only has one channel and little on it makes sense any more....
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226

Cyclefree said:

Besides Marina Wheeler is a barrister so she should be contributing as well as Boris.
    All those lawyers fees must add up as well though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

|I don't think that is the real pity. The real pity is that the appointment of a judge whose job is to apply the law impartially is a political matter. Add in the absurd powers given to the SC under the Constitution (arguably the most overrated document in history) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Edit, those who spent much of this week wittering on about the importance of the rule of law really should reflect on this. Is this what they want?
    With the greatest respect, what a very silly comment to make.

You really think that how one country appoints judges is an argument against the rule of law?

• Options

Cyclefree said:

And do not forget the TV preachers who use their infidelity (when caught) to show that anyone can be tempted by the devil and then publicly repent to show how it should be done. And the money keeps rolling in....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - but the 10 Commandments don’t make a distinction between these evils. “Thou shalt not bear false witness” is on a par with “Thou shalt not kill”.

So by giving importance to one and ignoring the others they are substituting their own judgment for the word of God. So even in their own terms they are not really following the Bible properly.

It seems to me that hatred and fear of women is very widespread. Whether it is religion which has given rise to this or whether it has developed so as to give some justification for it I don’t know. But every single society tries to find ways to restrict, limit or control women and those that do are often the ones happiest to turn a blind eye to men behaving equally badly.

Baffling.
    Women give birth. Mysterious and an experience that a male cannot share. Women are in charge (pretty well always) when one is small. So women are mysterious and powerful.
    Breed resentment, unless one is 'adult' about it and recognises the situation.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156

Is there a reason that I can no longer see tweets on Vanilla?

Just be grateful.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Some things to consider -

- Very limited time to push through an appointment before the election. I believe that there are something like 13 days of Senate business planned before the election.
    - All the senators are out campaigning.
    - A lame duck appointment could happen.
    - Given the voter suppression and other crap planned by various Republicans from Trump down, another vote in the Court would be very, very useful in the event of a contested election.

I can *just about* see McConnell pushing a candidate through in a 10 minute session, but that would be a reach, even for him.

McConnell is an absolute bastard. I put nothing past him.
    I am sure Nicola thinks the same. Something in the name?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Given how shite Boris has been Starmer should be way, way ahead of that. Blindly following the government on virus measures isn't a recipe for success. Sensible and constructive criticism and an alternate path would push Labour into a huge sustainable poll lead until Boris falls.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Cyclefree said:

I would imagine Marina was earning more as a top barrister than Carrie is working for a charity, so not only has Boris seen his pay cut to become PM but his household income has likely seen a significant fall as well after his divorce but that is his own fault for womanising
  • Options
    I believe Dodds is temporary and not in for the long term. I think Ed M will be going for Shadow Chancellor.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,820
    edited September 2020
    The Dems could use the nuclear option if they take both houses and increase the number of SC judges although this would start a destructive cycle in future elections . They could also give DC proper voting rights with 2 Senators and bring Puerto Rico into the same category . Biden is a traditionalist so will not want to do either but no one can under estimate the anger in Dem circles at this time . There was a time that SC nominees got a large majority in the senate but the polarization in US politics is awful now. The USA is in a terrible situation and things could turn very ugly over the next few months .
  • Options
    And level in polling

And it does not surprise me one bit
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/King56285364/status/1307246158377615362

It's a real shame all those Scottish Labour MPs have gone, as if they hadn't collapsed in 2015, Labour would have their best result since 2005 in there
  • Options

I believe Dodds is temporary and not in for the long term. I think Ed M will be going for Shadow Chancellor.

Get Ed Balls to run in a safe seat by-election and make him shadow chancellor. He'd be absolutely brilliant, I'd vote for a top team of Starmer and Balls.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Electricity costs between 12 and 24p per kWh in the UK, for domestic consumption.

An oven running at highish power - 180c - would use around 1.5kW

So the electricity cost of cooking for 1 hour would be 18-36p, depending on your supplier.
    Yes but that extra 18p means it is cheaper to take the family to Burger King every night apparently.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Lima may well be very different. There are many parts of the world where things still are. I fully accept that. In the UK exceptional thinness in the young is usually a sign of an eating disorder or an addiction.
    I think we will have to agree to disagree. For what is is worth, my lifelong Conservative voting wife would remove both over indulged with junk food and malnourished children from their parents. She considers both to be examples of negligent abuse.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Baffling.
    Anyone who literally follows the bible is going to get killed ,arrested or confined to a mental hospital before very long.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

And do not forget the TV preachers who use their infidelity (when caught) to show that anyone can be tempted by the devil and then publicly repent to show how it should be done. And the money keeps rolling in....
    Indeed, most Church of England vicars now make no more than the median wage and they are not even guaranteed a large rectory any more, many US TV evangelists are multi millionaires with mansions, fast cars and private jets
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Get Ed Balls to run in a safe seat by-election and make him shadow chancellor. He'd be absolutely brilliant, I'd vote for a top team of Starmer and Balls.
    I don't think Ed Balls is interested in a return to front-line politics at present.

Ed Balls didn't exactly do a superb job in 2015, he has improved markedly since although so has Ed M.

I don't think SC is as important as people think though, McDonnell was unpopular because of past views but I highly doubt many knew who Javid was in 2019.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

How come the working (not so poor) can mange to find the time then? The problem is mainly in the non-working poor
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

I don't think the constitution is overrated. It has served America pretty well. Building a nation from nothing is not easy. They are being badly damaged by political polarisation though and all political entities need some adaptability.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Well, they compare Trump to King David, who was a bit of a lad (treason, murder, adultery etc.) but still did the Lord's work.
  • Options

Ed Miliband as Shadow Chancellor, Yvette Cooper as Shadow Foreign Secretary and Thomas Symonds staying as Shadow Home Secretary would be a much stronger top team for Starmer and look more like a future Cabinet, don't forget Cameron brought William Hague back to be his Foreign Secretary
  • Options
    edited September 2020

MaxPB said:

I don't think Ed Balls is interested in a return to front-line politics at present.

Ed Balls didn't exactly do a superb job in 2015, he has improved markedly since although so has Ed M.

I don't think SC is as important as people think though, McDonnell was unpopular because of past views but I highly doubt many knew who Javid was in 2019.
    Javid never had a budget. SC is where the policies all come from, it's the money spending brief and the leader is the salesman who presents it all. That's why the Blair/Brown partnership worked for so long and the Cameron/Osborne one. The salesman was in the top job and the thinker in the policy role. Balls would be a good about for it and win over a lot of centrists where Red Ed wouldn't.

You might be too young to remember but it was Osborne that destroyed Brown in the 2007 election that never was with the inheritance tax policy, but it was also him committing to Labour's plans that made it difficult for us to win outright in 2010.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Good pot of soup and cheap cuts of meat can be done in bulk and frozen. Then you just cook some cheap spuds and a few vegetables.
    However I cannot really comment as we eat nearly all organic if at all possible and chickens cost 12 quid upwards. My wife does cook everything from scratch and makes lots of soup which is relatively inexpensive, but it does involve time and effort. It is tempting to take the easy option but is not necessary if you have the gumption, it is personal choice.
  • Options
    Cooper is an interesting case, I think she would have been asked initially but she's been busy on one of the Select Committees.

They should get Andy Burnham back.
  • Options

Ed Miliband is not the best candidate

Rachel Reeves or Yvette Cooper should be appointed

It does make you wonder just how much labour supporters and mps realise the utter damage Corbyn did to their brand and UK politics

I hope Starmer continues to follow a moderate course which could see Labour regain power, especially if Boris is not retired very soon, and of course he must expel Corbyn and his cabal

I wish him well
  • Options

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Exactly but it takes a fair bit of effort and time to cook a real meal, much easier to lift the phone.
    There needs to be some understanding and compassion about this, not just middle class moralising. After a 12 hour ZHC shift as an Amazon fulfillment serf, who fancies spending 2 hours preparing a roast dinner?

Certainly poor people often make poor, even self destructive decisions a lot of the time, but we really need to look a bit deeper to understand why such decisions get made. People who are poor are rarely just monetarily poor, they are also poor in educational, social, housing, transport and other resources too.
    +1, and you don't actually have to be poor and ill-educated to opt for microwaved food. If you don't have any particular cooking skills (e.g. I've never cooked anything not pre-prepared in the oven in my life), you don't feel confident that what you make is going to be any better for you than the microwavable chilled curry made by people who do it for a living. Sainsbury, which isn't necessarily the cheapest, do a curry masala for £2, and it seems to me reasonably tasty and nutritious. Could I maybe save 20p by assembling the ingredients and doing it myself? Why would I want to do that? And If I was an exhausted low-wage worker, of course I wouldn't.
    I wouldn't criticise anyone for buying a cheap ready meal.

Though even for them its easy to bulk them out nutritiously - half of a 33p tin of chickpeas can easily be added to a supermarket pizza or curry.

Not to mention a big tin of beans costs under 30p and takes five minutes cooking time.

But its the grotty and expensive takeaways which abound in deprived areas which are the 'head shaker'.

Now why do they exist ? Non existent cooking skills ? No cooking facilities ? Deprivation of mentality ?

I will say though that supermarkets and their cheap food benefit the car user most - those dependent upon buses are likely to find food shopping more expensive.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

OK, I know the PM's salary now does not quite get you into the top 1% of earners for which you need to earn £160,000 a year or more but nonetheless he and Carrie have Chequers, a big 16th century mansion in the Buckinghamshire countryside at weekends, it is not as if all the PM has is the Downing Street flat
    And he can borrow against future prospects. If even Brown and May can make a killing on the lecture circuit, what can he reasonably expect? I'd have thought a £100m Netflix deal if he wants one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Cyclefree said:

I would imagine Marina was earning more as a top barrister than Carrie is working for a charity, so not only has Boris seen his pay cut to become PM but his household income has likely seen a significant fall as well after his divorce but that is his own fault for womanising
    Where has Carrie disappeared to she is more elusive than an endangered species.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

It's a real shame all those Scottish Labour MPs have gone, as if they hadn't collapsed in 2015, Labour would have their best result since 2005 in there

Labour won 41 seats in Scotland in 2005 and 2010, now it has just 1.

If Labour still had all its Scottish seats on yesterday's Yougov Starmer would be neck and neck with the Tories for largest party in a hung parliament not having to do deals with the SNP to become PM, just probably the LDs and SDLP at most
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Javid never had a budget. SC is where the policies all come from, it's the money spending brief and the leader is the salesman who presents it all. That's why the Blair/Brown partnership worked for so long and the Cameron/Osborne one. The salesman was in the top job and the thinker in the policy role. Balls would be a good about for it and win over a lot of centrists where Red Ed wouldn't.
    I think either would be an improvement over Dodds but my fear with Balls is that he'd go back to Blairite style wishy washy and we don't want that.

Success for Labour is abandoning Corbynism absolutely but also not going back to New Labour. That ship sailed long ago.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Given how shite Boris has been Starmer should be way, way ahead of that. Blindly following the government on virus measures isn't a recipe for success. Sensible and constructive criticism and an alternate path would push Labour into a huge sustainable poll lead until Boris falls.
    Labour is still full of dross even if Starmer is miles better than Corbyn, look at shadow cabinet , I could hardly name more than two or three.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

With the greatest respect, what a very silly comment to make.

You really think that how one country appoints judges is an argument against the rule of law?

It is worth considering the danger of using Judicial control to effect change.

Every single one of my American relatives thought that since they controlled the law (via the Supreme Court), that racial equality, gay rights etc etc were protected.

Then right wings judges started getting on the court....

The problem was that while (for example) a solemnly built bridge from personal privacy to abortion is a wonderful philosophical construct, it has a couple of defects.

- To the voters it sounds rather like "Screw you and who you vote for - we own the law". The classic line "Keep the coinage and the courts. Let the rabble have the rest." also comes to mind.
    - The suspension of belief required to think that, say, for the abortion issue, personal privacy encompasses abortion, but there is no right to privacy concerning a woman ingesting alcohol or drugs while pregnant. The argument was made up to achieve a goal.

The result is that the what the courts do in the US is, increasingly, legislate by seeing how far you can wordspin the existing laws.

Judicial activism without legislative activism simply builds a bridge without real support, in a democracy.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    It is now 44 days to the US election, and a gigantic black swan has upended the balance of the Presidential race.

Meanwhile, many on PB are certain that they can predict the outcome of a General Election 4 years away on the basis of the Tories polling 3 points off a 40-year record high vote share during the biggest domestic crisis in 100 years.

Never change, PB, never change... :wink:
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1307251327739858944

A rare interesting-ish comment from Owen Jones.

Labour got what 43% in 1997, they did poll much higher but that was their best electoral result.

They're on 40 now, so they probably have another few percent to grow, I think Corbyn got to 45% once?
  • Options
    Of course the other problem for Labour is the Lib Dems stuck on 6%. They need Davey to start taking that Tory vote and Labour will be able to more easily form a Government
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think either would be an improvement over Dodds but my fear with Balls is that he'd go back to Blairite style wishy washy and we don't want that.

Success for Labour is abandoning Corbynism absolutely but also not going back to New Labour. That ship sailed long ago.
    Balls was never that type though, he was always a say it how it is politician, it's why his media career has done well since he left politics.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Well you could just as easily say that the left in the US are more concerned with getting angry about non-PC comments on Twitter than Obama ordering the drone striking of kids in the Middle East for years when president.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Of course the other problem for Labour is the Lib Dems stuck on 6%. They need Davey to start taking that Tory vote and Labour will be able to more easily form a Government

Starmer needs to win about 20 SNP seats in Scotland and 10 more seats off the Tories and the LDs to win about 20 to 30 Tory seats in the south for him to be able to form a stable government based on the Yougov poll today
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Looks like winter is going to come early in my part of Spain with more restaurants and bars shutting down earlier than usual. There is just not enough business to go around with few second home owners or relatives coming out. Those that stay open will have to compete for a limited clientele who perversely have more money in their pockets, no trips back to the UK, No cruises or short breaks in Benidorm. As Felix said there is unlikely to be a second national lockdown with localized measures the preferred approach. So we will still get to go out for a beer and a meal, just with reduced choice.

What is left by next spring is anybody’s guess but the sun shines most of the time, outside daytime living is year round so not too difficult to bear, bloody hard for the businesses though.
  • Options
    The photo of Johnson and his inner team in which Witty looks like he might go all East Enders on the prime minister that was doing the rounds yesterday.

Turns out it was taken in February.
  • Options

The Conservatives have an opportunity with boundary redistribution to "equalise" the playing field to give themselves a majority on parity.

As they drop below forty the majority becomes more difficult to retain. And they will drop into the thirties.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Starmer missed the open goal of unrestricted entry to the UK in the spring.

And the open goal of the UK being dependent upon imported PPE.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

We don't have to want it or not. Abroad is a foreign country, and they do things differently there. This is not the best moment in history to be telling ROW that all their troubles would be over if they were exactly like the UK.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That was pretty much my reaction. And I'm not American.

She asks whether this year can get any worse.

Oh yes. Much, much worse...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

It is now 44 days to the US election, and a gigantic black swan has upended the balance of the Presidential race.

Meanwhile, many on PB are certain that they can predict the outcome of a General Election 4 years away on the basis of the Tories polling 3 points off a 40-year record high vote share during the biggest domestic crisis in 100 years.

Never change, PB, never change... :wink:

Surely the death is priced in, it’s not a surprise as it was on the cards and would already affect people’s thinking so is it really that big a potential game changer?
  • Options

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Exactly but it takes a fair bit of effort and time to cook a real meal, much easier to lift the phone.
    There needs to be some understanding and compassion about this, not just middle class moralising. After a 12 hour ZHC shift as an Amazon fulfillment serf, who fancies spending 2 hours preparing a roast dinner?

Certainly poor people often make poor, even self destructive decisions a lot of the time, but we really need to look a bit deeper to understand why such decisions get made. People who are poor are rarely just monetarily poor, they are also poor in educational, social, housing, transport and other resources too.
    +1, and you don't actually have to be poor and ill-educated to opt for microwaved food. If you don't have any particular cooking skills (e.g. I've never cooked anything not pre-prepared in the oven in my life), you don't feel confident that what you make is going to be any better for you than the microwavable chilled curry made by people who do it for a living. Sainsbury, which isn't necessarily the cheapest, do a curry masala for £2, and it seems to me reasonably tasty and nutritious. Could I maybe save 20p by assembling the ingredients and doing it myself? Why would I want to do that? And If I was an exhausted low-wage worker, of course I wouldn't.
    Cop out , easy to do bulk and freeze , stick in a slow cooker before work , etc etc. In the end it is laziness, which I may choose myself but my wife would rarely countenance ready meals and she does most of the cooking. Most ready meals are full of crap like chemicals , sugar and salt by the bucketload
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Hi David

It’s quite easy to be both obese and undernourished. Cheap, high fat food often has limited nutritional value.

And that’s the option an increasing number of people may have to go for with the pressure on food supplies.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1307251327739858944

A rare interesting-ish comment from Owen Jones.

Labour got what 43% in 1997, they did poll much higher but that was their best electoral result.

They're on 40 now, so they probably have another few percent to grow, I think Corbyn got to 45% once?

Labour's medium term problem is that it has to announce some policies at some point.

So all the people who were won over be Corbyn's bribes - students and WASPIs for example - might be somewhat disappointed when they realise they wont get whet they were told they were entitled to.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

But why not go with your best selling point? And enrage the RLBites.
This discussion has been closed.