Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ruthless: RBG’s death has given Trump a Black Swan to exploit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• It shows how thick the English in general are however, excited to vote for Johnson for the "Zing" when anyone with more than two brain cells knew he was a lying , cheating , useless , no good arse. Getting all they deserve and unfortunately we as their last colony have to endure it as well.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited September 2020
    Just a Pot Noodle and a wank of an evening for Johnson at the moment then.
  • alex_ said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

So, any legal PB’ers, what is the legal justification for the PM’s injunction, in the hypothetical case that it might be to prevent reporting of a new affair by our newly engaged new father PM? Isn’t there a public interest counterargument?

Not heard of it, so I imagine it is a superinjunction and we aren't meant to know or say that it exists or who got it.

Hypothetically there might be a child involved and an argument that the interests of that child outweighed the public interest argument if, hypothetically, the paternity of the child were in issue. But I have really no idea.
    Whenever rumours flood the internet about superinjunctions, you can bet that there will be a lot of people who think they *know* what the injunction is, but actually will have many of the crucial details wrong. I’ve read several versions of a current injunction, although all with common factors, also differing also in many fundamental respects. Including whether they represent reporting of recent or more historic events. People pick up snippets, but then fill in the gaps with speculation. Unless you have primary sources (which obviously most people don’t) it’s unwise to believe anything.
    Clearly it doesn’t exist, then.

But if in an entirely different case where one did exist, if its mere existence is not to be reported or discussed, how are you supposed to know about it in the first place, so as to avoid inadvertently discussing the substantive issue?
    It is a scandal that these rich barstewards can buy silence of their misdeeds in the courts and the corrupt media allow it.
    I don’t know what the “corrupt media” have to do with it! Corrupt because, when told that reporting will break the law they, er, don’t break the law? You think they should all volunteer to go to prison to prove their incorruptibility?
    Bunch of cowards
  • nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

So, any legal PB’ers, what is the legal justification for the PM’s injunction, in the hypothetical case that it might be to prevent reporting of a new affair by our newly engaged new father PM? Isn’t there a public interest counterargument?

Not heard of it, so I imagine it is a superinjunction and we aren't meant to know or say that it exists or who got it.

Hypothetically there might be a child involved and an argument that the interests of that child outweighed the public interest argument if, hypothetically, the paternity of the child were in issue. But I have really no idea.
    Whenever rumours flood the internet about superinjunctions, you can bet that there will be a lot of people who think they *know* what the injunction is, but actually will have many of the crucial details wrong. I’ve read several versions of a current injunction, although all with common factors, also differing also in many fundamental respects. Including whether they represent reporting of recent or more historic events. People pick up snippets, but then fill in the gaps with speculation. Unless you have primary sources (which obviously most people don’t) it’s unwise to believe anything.

But if in an entirely different case where one did exist, if its mere existence is not to be reported or discussed, how are you supposed to know about it in the first place, so as to avoid inadvertently discussing the substantive issue?
    It is a scandal that these rich barstewards can buy silence of their misdeeds in the courts and the corrupt media allow it.
    I’ll get my violin out and play it for you.
    I can think of something much better you could do with it.
  • Scott_xP said:

The only Super-injunction that I have heard of recently is about Nippy.
    send us a link Scott
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Food prices appear to have gone up considerable these last few weeks?

We’ve had the worst harvest in many years in this country due to dry weather followed by raging storms. So all our food has to be imported.

And while there is a surplus elsewhere in the world as Canada and Oz have done OK, our currency has been tanking due to Cummings being mad as a box of frogs, so prices of imports have gone up.

It’s a good job we’re not planning to do anything reckless, like, say, cut off trading links with our largest suppliers of foodstuffs.

Ah...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/farming/east-anglian-cereal-yields-hit-by-extreme-weather-1-6781165

Edit - this situation may also be why the government is panicking over the food security of Northern Ireland, of course.
    All true - harvests on a number of staples have been crap. Its not just prices that have gone up, availability has gone down. Which means a lot of spot price purchases at less favourable prices. This has then been further exacerbated by the pox which has totally corrupted the normal cyclical pattern of consumption and thus buying that the industry plans on.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

A fine woman, who achieved so much. Tragically, her legacy is almost certainly going to be entirely overturned and the majority of people in the US will have a highly partisan, immensely conservative Supreme Court imposing law on them which they do not want. Also very good news for Trump should the election come down to the courts, which it almost certainly will.

Your final point is crucial. Trump can now unpick a Biden landslide through the SCOTUS.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Un
    Fucking
    Believable

Like, was the forecast not updated after the SCottish evidence came in?
  • Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

We’ve had the worst harvest in many years in this country due to dry weather followed by raging storms. So all our food has to be imported.

And while there is a surplus elsewhere in the world as Canada and Oz have done OK, our currency has been tanking due to Cummings being mad as a box of frogs, so prices of imports have gone up.

It’s a good job we’re not planning to do anything reckless, like, say, cut off trading links with our largest suppliers of foodstuffs.

Ah...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/farming/east-anglian-cereal-yields-hit-by-extreme-weather-1-6781165

Edit - this situation may also be why the government is panicking over the food security of Northern Ireland, of course.
    I was chatting to the guys harvesting the fields while I was walking my lockdown pup.

The wheat was very poor, but the barley fairly reasonable. Both nicely dry for harvesting.

So bread prices may be up, but beer and whisky OK...
    The prices of agricultural commodities are determined in international markets so if GBP is weaker food prices will be up regardless of the state of the harvest locally. It's different for perishable produce like veg, obviously, where local conditions are important. I am increasingly convinced there will be a Brexit deal, it must be obvious to Johnson that the country cannot handle no deal on top of Covid, I think he will overrule Cummings and the other ultras.
    He will do as he is told
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

You might have got the wrong end of the bow!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

I was chatting to the guys harvesting the fields while I was walking my lockdown pup.

The wheat was very poor, but the barley fairly reasonable. Both nicely dry for harvesting.

So bread prices may be up, but beer and whisky OK...
    The prices of puppies has more or less doubled this year. I doubt that is one of the components of CPI.
    Locally poodle-cross pups have been going for £3000, which is a crazy price, but having a pup or kitten has made lockdown bearable for many. There are half a dozen new puppies in the village, particularly with those working from home.

An autumn morning out with the little hound is one of the simple pleasures wort savouring.

For sure, you don’t need to convince me. My pup has travelled with me to nine countries including twenty US states.

But charging thousands for a cockapoo is verging on the ridiculous.

And I wonder how many of the lockdown new owners are fully prepared for the ten to fifteen year responsibility, particularly if life does return to ‘normal’.
    Off topic (again)

I have an issue with supporting commercial dog breeders. When we were less enlightened we acquired a pedigree Beagle, who due, in part, to genuine Crufts winning in-breeding, was as mad as a march-hare, and not in a good way. We later acquired a failed sniffer-dog Labrador from South Wales Police. Also bred by a Kennel Club authorised breeder but too small and out of specification for Crufts and again as mad as a neurotic bag of frogs.

Our (now old) rescue Springer and our lockdown Beagle both came from Many Tears rescue, near Llanelli. I couldn't recommend them enough. They provide older, sometimes damaged, but nonetheless lovely pets just waiting for a home, for a donation of around £200.
    There are good and bad breeders. Inbreeding is a real issue in some breeds, but not all breeders are like that.

• Regarding alleged super-injunctions. The Prime Minister is a man who not only has affairs but lies about them. So I don't see the point - Shagger doesn't have a reputation for honesty and probity to uphold.
  • Foxy said:

I am not one to have a good word for Johnson, who has made his own bed, and laid on it with a number of concubines over the years, but even I find him a rather sad and pathetic figure.

The image of him in the bedroom at Number 10, slowly deterioting with covid, being fed from a tray outside his door in April. Not the triumph of ambition that he imagined.
    What do the gods do if they really hate you?

They give you exactly what you asked for.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited September 2020
    tlg86 said:

Completely off-topic, but I’ve just checked the Bundesliga odds for this season. Bayern won 8-0 against Schalke last night and are 1/8 for the title.

Football is the most important of the unimportant things in life. I feel sorry for German football fans that care more about competition than they do about club ownership.

I often think that professional sport clubs should be mutuals owned by the fans . Thats surely the only way to have a rational for being loyal (if you are actually a part of it). I may be a customer of many companies (and happy to be so) but I am not loyal to them if my or their circumstances change. When you are a fan of a sports club though part of the need is to be be loyal through thick and thin (thats what gives the necessary ups and downs ) and that is easier to do if you actually part own the club in a mutual set -up
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544

Regarding alleged super-injunctions. The Prime Minister is a man who not only has affairs but lies about them. So I don't see the point - Shagger doesn't have a reputation for honesty and probity to uphold.

You’re saying he’s always been on the fiddle ?
    I bow to your greater knowledge, and I’m not going to fret about it.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727

send us a link Scott

You don't appear to have fully grasped the concept of injunctions, Malc.
  • A fine woman, who achieved so much. Tragically, her legacy is almost certainly going to be entirely overturned and the majority of people in the US will have a highly partisan, immensely conservative Supreme Court imposing law on them which they do not want. Also very good news for Trump should the election come down to the courts, which it almost certainly will.

Your final point is crucial. Trump can now unpick a Biden landslide through the SCOTUS.
    Trump and more specifically 'Moscow' Mitch McConnell may not be able to achieve a new member of SCOTUS before the election or even January 20th.
    Here's a quote from a post on Quora, which rings true.
    "And I can think of at least three GOP Senators who won’t vote for whoever Trump will nominate. Mitt Romney, Chuck Grassley and Lisa Murkowski. she released a statement only hours before RBG’s passing that she wouldn’t. There will likely be more who don’t want to ruin their career over this. Susan Collins immediately come to mind."
  • malcolmg22malcolmg22 Posts: 327
    edited September 2020
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

More than likely, but it was meant to be witty but perhaps only in my mind. No offence intended.
    If 3% of school kids are testing positive, that is twice the national rate of positivity isn't it? Which would suggest that the positivity rate for other groups is even lower.

It is not just numbers that matter. Testing the right people at the right time, and acting on the results in a timely manner. Taking 2 weeks to notify contacts is pretty pointless. The bird has flown by then.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/17/covid-19-uk-test-and-trace-barely-functional-as-nearly-10-million-face-lockdown

"One contact tracer said: “Some people are being told by test and trace that they need to self-isolate when their isolation period has been and gone. I rang someone a few days ago to tell them that they were a contact of a confirmed case and therefore needed to self-isolate. But halfway through the call I realised that her self-isolation period began on 31 August.” Test-and-trace records relating to contacts appear to confirm the tracers’ claims."
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

More than likely, but it was meant to be witty but perhaps only in my mind. No offence intended.
    "send us a link Scott" was quite witty imo.

Regarding alleged super-injunctions. The Prime Minister is a man who not only has affairs but lies about them. So I don't see the point - Shagger doesn't have a reputation for honesty and probity to uphold.

I think, and he knows, that there is a generous but inevitably finite limit to what the Shelagh Delaney characters in the purple wall will accept in the way of priapic indiscretions. Hence the situation...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

tlg86 said:

Completely off-topic, but I’ve just checked the Bundesliga odds for this season. Bayern won 8-0 against Schalke last night and are 1/8 for the title.

Football is the most important of the unimportant things in life. I feel sorry for German football fans that care more about competition than they do about club ownership.

I often think that professional sport clubs should be mutuals owned by the fans . Thats surely the only way to have a rational for being loyal (if you are actually a part of it). I may be a customer of many companies (and happy to be so) but I am not loyal to them if my or their circumstances change. When you are a fan of a sports club though part of the need is to be be loyal through thick and thin (thats what gives the necessary ups and downs ) and that is easier to do if you actually part own the club in a mutual set -up
    Obviously you don’t have to win the league to be pleased with your team’s performance, but it must hurt fans of clubs that ought to aspire to win the league that they are unlikely to ever win it again.

Anyway, I was thinking more in general. I don’t support Liverpool or City, but I’m glad there’s at least two teams that we can expect to contest for the title.
  • Scott_xP said:

send us a link Scott

You don't appear to have fully grasped the concept of injunctions, Malc.
    Oh, so as they are only for the rich and are secret , we just make up fake ones and then pretend they are so secret we cannot pass them on. Got it.
  • A handy guide to injunctions and what to look out for:

https://popbitch.com/2016/03/up-the-injunction/

Take note how the press can orchestrate disparate chords into a symphonic whole hinting at the broader tune.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,749
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Thanks, that would explain it. Replicating supermarket orders I placed in August for delivery in October, the same items cost in total between 5-10% more. This isn’t showing in the CPI given the reduction due to Rishi’s Covid dinners and other virus related price falls.
    I am afraid that situation is going to get worse before it gets better. February looks alarmingly like the potential for a perfect storm in terms of food security, between the ongoing disruption of trade due to Covid, Brexit, poor global weather and a lack of port capacity. We could easily see really massive price hikes leading into next spring.
    Tough on poor people, who need to buy food, but won’t be able to enjoy the price reductions in meals out, travel, and the rest. And will have any wage or benefit or pension income frozen if CPI stays negligible.

Maybe I should fill the car with food before I return to the UK.
    I think it is going to be tough on rather more than just poor people. It’s going to hit food banks hard, of course, and those on benefits. But I can easily see a lot of middle income people being pulled into this as well given how insecure our food supples are looking. I’m expecting an awful lot of signs of undernourishment in children next year.
    Oh don't be ridiculous. The mark of poverty in this country is obesity. This will not change.
  • DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Thanks, that would explain it. Replicating supermarket orders I placed in August for delivery in October, the same items cost in total between 5-10% more. This isn’t showing in the CPI given the reduction due to Rishi’s Covid dinners and other virus related price falls.
    I am afraid that situation is going to get worse before it gets better. February looks alarmingly like the potential for a perfect storm in terms of food security, between the ongoing disruption of trade due to Covid, Brexit, poor global weather and a lack of port capacity. We could easily see really massive price hikes leading into next spring.
    Tough on poor people, who need to buy food, but won’t be able to enjoy the price reductions in meals out, travel, and the rest. And will have any wage or benefit or pension income frozen if CPI stays negligible.

I think it is going to be tough on rather more than just poor people. It’s going to hit food banks hard, of course, and those on benefits. But I can easily see a lot of middle income people being pulled into this as well given how insecure our food supples are looking. I’m expecting an awful lot of signs of undernourishment in children next year.
    Oh don't be ridiculous. The mark of poverty in this country is obesity. This will not change.
    Which is also a significant comorbidity for COVID.

• Alistair said:

Un
    Fucking
    Believable

Ignored like everything else Scottish no doubt.
  • DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

However you do get lots of poor skinny people.
    Alistair said:

Un
    Fucking
    Believable

Its the exam fiasco all over again. A complete inability to learn from other peoples' disasters. Scotland bravely lead the way showing how to be the most incompetent and inept you can possibly be and England just follow blindly on making the same mistakes as if we hadn't bothered. What's the point of us putting up with these numpties if you lot can't learn from their idiocies?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

I have no idea what is going on, but I find it simpler to assume that Boris is cheating on his current wife/partner as that has invariably been the case in the past.

A fine woman, who achieved so much. Tragically, her legacy is almost certainly going to be entirely overturned and the majority of people in the US will have a highly partisan, immensely conservative Supreme Court imposing law on them which they do not want. Also very good news for Trump should the election come down to the courts, which it almost certainly will.

Trump and more specifically 'Moscow' Mitch McConnell may not be able to achieve a new member of SCOTUS before the election or even January 20th.
    "And I can think of at least three GOP Senators who won’t vote for whoever Trump will nominate. Mitt Romney, Chuck Grassley and Lisa Murkowski. she released a statement only hours before RBG’s passing that she wouldn’t. There will likely be more who don’t want to ruin their career over this. Susan Collins immediately come to mind."
    That still leaves a majority for the GOP.

They could confirm the nominee the day after she is declared.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Obviously you don’t have to win the league to be pleased with your team’s performance, but it must hurt fans of clubs that ought to aspire to win the league that they are unlikely to ever win it again.

Anyway, I was thinking more in general. I don’t support Liverpool or City, but I’m glad there’s at least two teams that we can expect to contest for the title.
    Yes , another ingredient of being a fan is hope (as it is in life generally) .You may not be there right now or even expecting to be soon but as long as there is hope and opportunity and anticipation then you feel alive and excited. Any area of life needs this and it is replicated in being a sport fan. Fans feel more intensely alive just before kick off than they do at the end of a game (even if team won) , as a fan of national hunt racing I feel more alive just as i enter Cheltenham Racecourse for the festival that I do at the end (win or lose) .

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Worldwide yes. In the UK they are very much the minority. Poor diets with cheap unhealthy food loaded with fats and carbohydrates is what they can afford and what they get. If we spent more subsidising vegetable and fruit the NHS would not have such a heavy case load. (Yes, the pun was intended)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    rcs1000 said:

So...

Let me preface this by saying that Roe vs Wade was the very worst thing that ever happened to 'liberals' in the US. It made what should have been a decision made in the ballot box, something that was made in the Supreme Court. And the Supreme Court should not be in the business of making law.

Trump is faced with a interesting choice:

Does he attempt to push through with a nomination ahead of November 3rd. This is a tough one, because some Senators (*cough* Susan Collins, Cory Gardner) represent pro-Choice states are locked in difficult re-election battles. If Trump puts forward someone who has spoken out against Roe vs Wade in the past, then they will struggle to support him. Add in Susan Murkowski, and you have 50-50. (Albeit with Pence breaking the deadlock.)

Now, he could get someone with more moderate views through... but where's the fun in that?

Perhaps the best result for Trump would be to propose someone extremely pro-Life, to allow him (or her) to be defeated by the Senate. (Thus enabling Collins to demonstrate her independence)

And then to put forward someone equally pro-Life in the lame duck session, irrespective of the results of the election. (Of course, Trump may be more concerned with finding someone who believes in the untrammelled power of the Executive... like... ummm... Mr Barr.)

Alternatively, Trump could nominate someone, but not bring them to the Senate floor before the election. Ms Collins (and Mr Gardner) would likely have to opine on how they would vote.

Interesting times.

I think he'll nominate Judge Roy Moore.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Unless you have direct knowledge, never wise to make assumptions that presumed applicants for superinjunctions, the “transgressing parties”, or the individuals being granted “protection” by the approval of them, is the most well known individual involved with its contents.

I read about a superinjunction about a year or so ago involving a very well known international personality and suggestions of affairs and possibly marital disharmony. The individual’s name circulated widely on social media, and everyone seemed to “know”. My understanding (although of course possibly also incorrect given the amount of disinformation*) was that this person was an entirely innocent party on the substance of the story. Whether they were actually the person who sought the superinjunction, whether they even knew about it, quite possibly not.

*there is of course a complication that if an superinjunction applicants gains awareness that it is breaking down on social media, it is in their interests to deliberately spread rumours at variance to the true story.

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727

Oh, so as they are only for the rich and are secret , we just make up fake ones and then pretend they are so secret we cannot pass them on. Got it.

FFS, Malky, you're not that stupid, but i will spell it out anyway.

An injunction means that even if there is a story, the papers can't run it, so I can't link to a story that hasn't run.

That doesn't mean there isn't a story.

I have heard it from multiple sources. I expect you have too.

• However you do get lots of poor skinny people.

But more poor fat people:

Obesity varied by household income, with those in the lowest quintile of household income having the highest mean BMI and highest prevalence of obesity. The variation was more pronounced among women and was around twice as common among women in the lowest quintiles as in women in the highest quintile (38% compared with 18%).

Waist circumference was associated with income for both men and women, with the highest levels of very high waist circumference in the lowest income groups. Figure 3 shows both measures of obesity, by income and sex.

http://healthsurvey.hscic.gov.uk/media/78619/HSE17-Adult-Child-BMI-rep.pdf
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    I doubt there will be any confirmed appointment to replace Bader Ginsburg until after the election. Trump and the Republicans know in particular that there will be huge evangelical turnout at the prospect of replacing the most pro abortion Justice on the court with a conservative.

It was high evangelical support which proved pivotal in 2004 in winning George W Bush a second term, the last re elected Republican president

Even without RBG's replacement, Trump is home and hosed after any SCOTUS intervention in the election result.
  • geoffw said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

"send us a link Scott" was quite witty imo.

thank you, went right over Scott's head
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Indeed although there were some interesting stats (for a change) on More or Less this week. Apparently the deaths for Covid are very evenly spread across the country and deciles of poverty. What seems to be happening is that the fact that those in the lower deciles are generally younger is offsetting the vulnerabilities of the wealthy old. They don't have more deaths but they have the same number which they shouldn't, certeris paribus.

Edit, sorry don't know what happened here. This was supposed to be responding to @CarlottaVance
    glw said:

I have no idea what is going on, but I find it simpler to assume that Boris is cheating on his current wife/partner as that has invariably been the case in the past.
    Surely Johnson hasn't had the time to play away. We are in the midst of two of the greatest peacetime crises in modern times, and they are happening simultaneously.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Worldwide yes. In the UK they are very much the minority. Poor diets with cheap unhealthy food loaded with fats and carbohydrates is what they can afford and what they get. If we spent more subsidising vegetable and fruit the NHS would not have such a heavy case load. (Yes, the pun was intended)
    David, the vegetables would need to be disguised as burgers, kebabs , fish suppers , etc and not be green in colour

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes , another ingredient of being a fan is hope (as it is in life generally) .You may not be there right now or even expecting to be soon but as long as there is hope and opportunity and anticipation then you feel alive and excited. Any area of life needs this and it is replicated in being a sport fan. Fans feel more intensely alive just before kick off than they do at the end of a game (even if team won) , as a fan of national hunt racing I feel more alive just as i enter Cheltenham Racecourse for the festival that I do at the end (win or lose) .
    Yes, the excitement of sport lies in the triumph of hope over experience. The buzz of going to a game against strong opposition, fearing a thrashing beats a routine expected win. I really miss that feeling when Saturday comes. Watching an empty stadium on telly just doesn't do it.

And there is always much more to talk about with a poor performance than a triumphant one. "We need a new winger/striker/goalie/formation/manager/owner" is what keeps the conversation turning.
  • It is crazy that such a powerful position in the supreme court is a lifetime appointment.

I see the left in the US are threatening violence again if Trump appoints someone as he is permitted to do so.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    It's probably worth saying that the Corona Virus testing website is currently completely down - I can see a lot of people either self-isolating for 2 weeks as no testing is available.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

David, the vegetables would need to be disguised as burgers, kebabs , fish suppers , etc and not be green in colour
    If only we had an education system worthy of the name. But that is reserved for the rich kids too.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    So if there are legal arguments about ballots, counting, hanging chads etc which end up with the SC, Trump gets his judge on the court and that’s how he wins.

Depressing.

Only a bloody good ground game from the Democrats can defeat Trump. Is there one?
  • Scott_xP said:

An injunction means that even if there is a story, the papers can't run it, so I can't link to a story that hasn't run.
    Isn't that a superinjunction?

An Injunction just means you can't report a story about - say, the Prime Minister, but can say there is one. "Lawyers for the Prime Minister obtained an injunction prohibiting publication of a story about him"

A super injunction means you can't even say that the injunction exists. "Silence".
  • Scott_xP said:

FFS, Malky, you're not that stupid, but i will spell it out anyway.

That doesn't mean there isn't a story.

I have heard it from multiple sources. I expect you have too.
    You obviously missed the meaning of my witty response Scott, I am aware of what an injunction is. I must lead a gentler more sedate sheltered life than you as only things I see are in the media. I did see some crazy stuff about someone very well known and instantly recognisable to anyone in Scotland seemingly trawling seriously dodgy gay clubs on a nightly basis. One would have expected lots of photographic evidence to be circulating.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Sadly, poorer skinny people in the UK are often so because of chronic illness or addiction rather than inability to purchase calories. There are exceptions, particularly children, where food poverty is real.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Fruit, vegetables and meat are very cheap. You can buy a whole chicken for £2.50 and add potatoes, carrots, greens peas and a bag of apples for about £6 altogether. That would feed a family of 4 for the price of one burger meal from McDonalds.

I have no idea where the idea that fast food is cheaper comes from.
  • glw said:

Surely Johnson hasn't had the time to play away. We are in the midst of two of the greatest peacetime crises in modern times, and they are happening simultaneously.
    He is rarely at work, disappears for weeks at a time, often on holiday so apart from unemployed who could have more free time.
    HYUFD said:

I doubt there will be any confirmed appointment to replace Bader Ginsburg until after the election. Trump and the Republicans know in particular that there will be huge evangelical turnout at the prospect of replacing the most pro abortion Justice on the court with a conservative.

It was high evangelical support which proved pivotal in 2004 in winning George W Bush a second term, the last re elected Republican president

You’re assuming that Republican senators want him re-elected. Maybe some of them would happily trade his defeat for securing a long term majority on the court. Some might even see it secretly as a win-win.

There is another angle to this though. A Republican nominee would fix the court balance decisively for a generation. Even worse the next change is likely to be neutral for the Democrats at best. Doesn’t it actually suit Republicans (Pres candidates and Senators alike) for the balance of the Supreme Court to be a live issue? Remove this issue and for the foreseeable future Republicans are going to need to find other reasons to get voters to support them.
    HYUFD said:

Doesn’t it also work the other way: those groups worried about just such a development also have an incentive to turn out?
  • Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Sadly, poorer skinny people in the UK are often so because of chronic illness or addiction rather than inability to purchase calories. There are exceptions, particularly children, where food poverty is real.
    I was talking to an American about food in the USA and she said that obesity was the sign of poverty in the USA. You had to be rich to be skinny, decent food really costs over there.
    Scott_xP said:
    There must be an election imminent. That was almost....decent.
    Scott_xP said:
    Right note from Trump for today, he can leave firing up evangelical voters to next week
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

For every three times a day McDonalds consuming glutton, there is a child whose only daily calorie intake is school lunch.

If Wayne and Waynetta Slob are blowing the family credits on cider, fags and fast food, how does Slob Jnr. survive?

glw said:

I don't think he has the energy at the moment either.

• DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Fruit, vegetables and meat are very cheap. You can buy a whole chicken for £2.50 and add potatoes, carrots, greens peas and a bag of apples for about £6 altogether. That would feed a family of 4 for the price of one burger meal from McDonalds.

Exactly but it takes a fair bit of effort and time to cook a real meal, much easier to lift the phone.

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

For every three times a day McDonalds consuming glutton, there is a child whose only daily calorie intake is school lunch.

If Wayne and Waynetta Slob are blowing the family credits on cider, fags and fast food, how does Slob Jnr. survive?
    The stats, which Carlotta has linked to already, show otherwise. Slob jnr has a terrible diet but any hunger is caused by the nature of the food he is consuming.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Not fast food. Convenience food. 49 pence pizzas.also that lovely chicken and veg meal you've put together requires multiple different cooking implements and time.
  • Jeez. Liberal democracy just isn't getting the breaks at the moment.

Trump needed a black swan and here is one. All I can say as someone who is desperate to see him gone is f*ck, f*ck, f*ck.

Here's a bit of good news for those railing against the dark side amidst the death of RBG.

At last! We have an up to date Nebraska District 2 poll. The first for nearly 2 months. Biden remains 6 points ahead there, he was 7 ahead in the two polls in June/July.

The poll confirms that Biden has a very plausible path to winning without Pennysylvania's 20 votes by picking up Arizona and one of either NE2 (or ME2) as well as Wisconsin and Michigan (with Biden already polling very strongly in both). The one vote in NE2 would take him to 270. Arizona already looked good for Biden but with the absence of polling in NE2 that route was still a bit of an unknown quantity. Now it's not.

Basically, if Trump is to win then Biden now has to go backwards some way on the polling in BOTH Pennysylvania AND Arizona/NE2. As the two sets are quite different demographically (one rust belt, the other Latino and expanding City with suburbs) then you can't assume that happening from just a uniform swing.

Biden also has a chance in ME 2 being ahead in the most recent polls there although it looks closer than NE2 and more vulnerable to a swing back to Trump.

It should be noted that Arizona has an above average percentage of evangelicals as does North Carolina and Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania less so, this will therefore make it more likely Trump will hold the first 3 and the election will come down to Biden needing to win Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin or 2 of those plus Florida
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Addiction especially in my experience, but that might reflect Dundee's chronic drug problem.
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn’t it also work the other way: those groups worried about just such a development also have an incentive to turn out?
    Dem voters seemingly don't give a shit about the SC.
  • Cyclefree said:

So if there are legal arguments about ballots, counting, hanging chads etc which end up with the SC, Trump gets his judge on the court and that’s how he wins.

Depressing.

Only a bloody good ground game from the Democrats can defeat Trump. Is there one?

Perhaps the Democrats should recruit IOS.
  • How many Senators have already changed their position re Ginsburg's replacement to what they had re Scalia's replacement.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Foxy said:

If 3% of school kids are testing positive, that is twice the national rate of positivity isn't it? Which would suggest that the positivity rate for other groups is even lower.

It is not just numbers that matter. Testing the right people at the right time, and acting on the results in a timely manner. Taking 2 weeks to notify contacts is pretty pointless. The bird has flown by then.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/17/covid-19-uk-test-and-trace-barely-functional-as-nearly-10-million-face-lockdown

"One contact tracer said: “Some people are being told by test and trace that they need to self-isolate when their isolation period has been and gone. I rang someone a few days ago to tell them that they were a contact of a confirmed case and therefore needed to self-isolate. But halfway through the call I realised that her self-isolation period began on 31 August.” Test-and-trace records relating to contacts appear to confirm the tracers’ claims."
    3% of kids who present symptoms.
  • Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Not fast food. Convenience food. 49 pence pizzas.also that lovely chicken and veg meal you've put together requires multiple different cooking implements and time.
    You can get a couple of oven dishes and a pot to cook the vegetables for about £5 that last years. You have an oven already if you're cooking pizzas in it.

Unemployed people with no money have more time than anyone else.
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

From memory this was cited as the traditional gamble at the time of the Obama nomination of Garland. Garland was very much the epitome of the sort of Democrat nomination that Republicans would be prepared to live with. Very much on the moderate wing. The Republican refusal to consider him was seen as a gamble because if Clinton won she was bound to nominate somebody far less to their liking. But I suspect that for many in the Senate up for re-election the issue of abortion is too totemic to their voters. So they could not countenance letting him through when they could hold out the prospect of a Republican to their electorate.

A reminder that politicians are not motivated by principle. I suspect that large numbers of Republican senators could give a toss about abortion rights. But they do what they think will get them elected.

In other news, the overnight YouGov is interesting in that it shows the government's strategy of throwing out Brexit and culture wars red meat out there to keep its voting coalition together and to depress Labour support is not working. Should that become established, and with what is coming, what else do the Tories have except the nuclear option of changing leader?

Notably, this was the first YouGov to give Labour 40% or more of the vote share since July 2018.

Actually if you look at the details of the poll the LDs are down 5% from 11% to 6% since GE19 and Labour up 8% from 32% to 40%, the Tories are only down 3% from 43% to 40%.

So the Tories are still holding most of their vote, the main movement is still Remainers from the LDs to Starmer Labour, that would leave the Tories as largest party but Starmer able to become PM with SNP and LD support in a hung parliament

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

You can get a couple of oven dishes and a pot to cook the vegetables for about £5 that last years. You have an oven already if you're cooking pizzas in it.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

None.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    edited September 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Depressing.

The political calculus for the GOP and Trump is somewhat different . Trump only cares about being President he couldn’t really give a fig for the Senate and Congress . The GOP are defending at least 4 senate seats in Democrat states and if you look at polling in Arizona and Maine a clear majority prefer Biden to pick the next SC judge .
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Dem voters seemingly don't give a shit about the SC.
    Why on earth not?

A genuine question this: it was victories in the SC which helped advance equal rights for black people and women and gays etc. Surely this is understood and that changes in the court’s composition therefore matter?

And if not, why not?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,583
    Some things to consider -

- Very limited time to push through an appointment before the election. I believe that there are something like 13 days of Senate business planned before the election.
    - All the senators are out campaigning.
    - A lame duck appointment could happen.
    - Given the voter suppression and other crap planned by various Republicans from Trump down, another vote in the Court would be very, very useful in the event of a contested election.

I can *just about* see McConnell pushing a candidate through in a 10 minute session, but that would be a reach, even for him.
  • Alistair said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

You have no idea what you are talking about.

None.
    Well that line of argument has definitely convinced me.
    nico679 said:

Cyclefree said:

Depressing.

The political calculus for the GOP and Trump is somewhat different . Trump only cares about being President he couldn’t really give a fig for the Senate and Congress . The GOP are defending at least 4 senate seats in Democrat states and if you look at polling in Arizona and Maine a clear majority prefer Biden to pick the next SC judge .
    26% of Arizona residents are evangelical Christians, more than the 25% who are evangelical across the US as a whole, they will turn out to get a pro life SC justice
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,198
    HYUFD said:

Here's a bit of good news for those railing against the dark side amidst the death of RBG.

At last! We have an up to date Nebraska District 2 poll. The first for nearly 2 months. Biden remains 6 points ahead there, he was 7 ahead in the two polls in June/July.

The poll confirms that Biden has a very plausible path to winning without Pennysylvania's 20 votes by picking up Arizona and one of either NE2 (or ME2) as well as Wisconsin and Michigan (with Biden already polling very strongly in both). The one vote in NE2 would take him to 270. Arizona already looked good for Biden but with the absence of polling in NE2 that route was still a bit of an unknown quantity. Now it's not.

Basically, if Trump is to win then Biden now has to go backwards some way on the polling in BOTH Pennysylvania AND Arizona/NE2. As the two sets are quite different demographically (one rust belt, the other Latino and expanding City with suburbs) then you can't assume that happening from just a uniform swing.

Biden also has a chance in ME 2 being ahead in the most recent polls there although it looks closer than NE2 and more vulnerable to a swing back to Trump.

It should be noted that Arizona has an above average percentage of evangelicals as does North Carolina and Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania less so, this will therefore make it more likely Trump will hold the first 3 and the election will come down to Biden needing to win Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin or 2 of those plus Florida
    Wrong as usual. Florida plus one of those is enough.
    But there's also no good reason to think Florida is easier for Biden than Arizona..
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    edited September 2020
    Even if Biden wins before the new Justice is nominated, this is a blow for the Democrats. The likely make up of the new Senate would mean that Biden's nominee would have to be much closer to the centre than Ruth Bader Ginsberg was.
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

You’re assuming that Republican senators want him re-elected. Maybe some of them would happily trade his defeat for securing a long term majority on the court. Some might even see it secretly as a win-win.

There is another angle to this though. A Republican nominee would fix the court balance decisively for a generation. Even worse the next change is likely to be neutral for the Democrats at best. Doesn’t it actually suit Republicans (Pres candidates and Senators alike) for the balance of the Supreme Court to be a live issue? Remove this issue and for the foreseeable future Republicans are going to need to find other reasons to get voters to support them.
    Republican Senators up for re election this year will also want a delay to ensure high evangelical turnout for them
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    A SCOTUS pick could push a lot of wavering GOP voters back to Trump, not just because they want a conservative justice but also to avoid 40 years of a liberal justice. I don't know if the left needed any more motivation to get out the vote so the effect will be pretty marginal IMO.

There are a lot of moderate and centre right voters who could be persuaded that 4 years of Trump is a small price to pay for 40 years of SCOTUS control and avoiding 40 years of an ultra liberal justice that Biden would surely nominate.
  • Dura_Ace said:
    Violin shown actual size.
  • People who break one guideline, eg for quarantine, are also likely to break other guidelines, eg for social distancing.

If any deaths result in Bolton I wonder if he can be prosecuted for manslaughter.
    edited September 2020
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but pro choice liberals are mainly concentrated in New York, San Francisco, Boston etc ie in states that are already safe for Biden and the Democrats anyway, pro life evangelicals tend to live more in the swing states
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,583
    edited September 2020
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

If McConnell got a right winger on the court to replace Ginsburg, he (and the rest of the Republicans) would be firing up the base - "they gave us judges"

The incentive to vote for Trump in November would be -

- "The Democrats will pack the court"
    - "Another 4 years - we can get another righty on the court"

Breyer is 82...
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ah...

Addiction especially in my experience, but that might reflect Dundee's chronic drug problem.
    There was a disruptive and violent girl in Fox jrs primary class, who often arrived at school after no breakfast other than cold leftover chips from the night before. Her single mother was an addict who never surfaced before noon.

It was a wonder she ever made it to school at all.
  • This is interesting, and shows what a mistake it was to choose Ms Dodds as Shadow Chancellor:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307236950731038721

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1307237756557570048
This discussion has been closed.