Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ruthless: RBG’s death has given Trump a Black Swan to exploit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Hello, I've just got in at 8pm after a 10 hour shift in the warehouse.

I know, I will put on a meal that takes 2 hours to cook.

That makes sense.

When I had a really long commute I'd reheat stuff made at the weekend all week. Lots of time at the weekend, but two minutes to stick it in the microwave when I got home.
    Surprise, low end rental accommodation fails to have a fridge and or freezer.

The number of barriers for those on the poverty line being able to do all these time/money saving cooking tips is staggeringly large.

Even if they have all the facilities necessary to cook then it takes only a single financial emergency from them having to spend money on the financial emergency rather than feeding the prepay meter and the that's all your frozen food spoiled.
    Had not thought of that final point, though I had thought that posters seem to think the capital expenditure on a freezer is trivial for everybody. Lots of letthemeatcakery about.
    you can pick them up second hand for peanuts , just more bollox excuses for lazy barstewards.
    I got my large second hand fridge freezer and washing machine delivered and installed for £50 from some bloke from Gumtree who lived locally. 5 years later they are both still going strong.

There is literally no point in arguing with these people, they've never lived in the real world.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

That was pretty much my reaction. And I'm not American.

She asks whether this year can get any worse.

Oh yes. Much, much worse...

I suspect that 2021 isn't going to be any better than 2020.
    It could be ;-

Trump gone, Biden President
    US rejoins Paris Agreement
    Coronavirus vaccine approved
    Electric cars become cheaper than ICE vehicles

In fact at least some of those stand a good chance of happening.
    Until they have a comparable range and a reasonable recharge time, ‘being cheaper’ than ICE isn’t going to help much.
    An average EV can get 250 miles and it will be fully charged each morning (so you'll not need to charge for most trips and if you do it can be done in 30 minutes). Not enough? Some can already get 400 miles.
    Also see 'Battery Day' next Tuesday.
    My quite cheap diesel can do 800 miles and takes seven minutes to refuel.

When an average EV can do 500 miles on one charge and fully recharge in 45 minutes ICE will be done.

Edit - I would also like to know which EVs can do 400. The one with the best range I know of is the Kona at 259 miles. Even allowing for good driving I don’t think that would go 400 miles.
    According to the "New European Driving Cycle" tests, a Tesla Model 3 (Long Range) can do 419 miles, IIRC.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

Very very very few meals take two hours and if they do you are not involved for the majority of the two hours , just a bit of prep and stick in oven, feet up with a beer watching the box and wait the remainder of the two hours. Stop digging Alistair.
    Still talking about the hypothetical roast chicken dinner. It doesn't matter if that 2 hours is spent working on it or feet up it is the delay before eating that is important.

If you are working shifts and coming home late the idea you will wait hours before eating is nonsense.
    There's plenty of other meals that are faster to cook or can be cooked in advance.

Last weekend I got a kg of beef mince for £3, large bag of onions for 40p, garlic for 30p, two tins of tomatoes for 60p and diced a carrot for around 10p and made bolognese for 3 days as I knew I was going to be working a lot the next week. Got a tin of kidney beans and some cumin and made chilli with the leftovers.

The idea that this sort of thing is impossible and the only option is frozen pizzas every day is quite frankly bollocks.

That's great. Now do it in a kitchen with no fridge and a single hotplate.
    The sad truth is - like housing & credit costs, it's expensive to be poor when it comes to food.
    When a kitchen was being rebuilt, I lived off a single electric hotplate for a while. Tricky, but it is possible to cook for 4 like that.

Ended up getting a rice cooker as well, in the end. The Japanese have created a zillion dishes that can be cooked in a rice cooker - due to mini apartments with no cooking facilities....
    Same here , had two weeks while kitchen was being done, bought a slow cooker and cooked meals in it , bit of a pain but managed to survive and have some tasty meals.
  • Options
    Whoops, looks like I've signed in to The Cooking Channel by mistake.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

Very very very few meals take two hours and if they do you are not involved for the majority of the two hours , just a bit of prep and stick in oven, feet up with a beer watching the box and wait the remainder of the two hours. Stop digging Alistair.
    Still talking about the hypothetical roast chicken dinner. It doesn't matter if that 2 hours is spent working on it or feet up it is the delay before eating that is important.

If you are working shifts and coming home late the idea you will wait hours before eating is nonsense.
    There's plenty of other meals that are faster to cook or can be cooked in advance.

Last weekend I got a kg of beef mince for £3, large bag of onions for 40p, garlic for 30p, two tins of tomatoes for 60p and diced a carrot for around 10p and made bolognese for 3 days as I knew I was going to be working a lot the next week. Got a tin of kidney beans and some cumin and made chilli with the leftovers.

The idea that this sort of thing is impossible and the only option is frozen pizzas every day is quite frankly bollocks.

And once again the point is not that it is the only option but that it is clearly easier and cheaper to get the frozen pizza than it is to cook from scratch.
    Lol talk about moving the goal posts, first it was due to the cost, then it was a lack of time and now finally they don't have a proper kitchen now all your other arguments have been shown to be nonsense.

How can they store frozen pizza without a freezer and cook it without an oven? Your hypotheticals don't even make sense now. Time to admit defeat on this one.
    You think there are no people who lack all three of money, and time, and decent living conditions? Thank Goodness for that.

You are offering reheated Spectator bore fare. Why oh why do the poor fritter money away on Iceland pizzas when you can get scrag end of oxtail and offcuts of pig's cheeks for next to nothing from any good butcher, stick'em in a le Creuset with some onions from the walled garden and pop it in the Aga warming oven for a fortnight?
    Well I speak from experience.

I've lived on £650 while working and having to pay all rent and bills and also lived on under £300 a month with no job under the same circumstances. Both times I found it much cheaper to eat healthily than eat junk as I've pointed out with examples.

But yeah I'm clearly a millionaire Tory with an aga whilst scoffing pig's cheeks daily. Jesus.
    Interesting that eating offal is seen as posh. As is slow cooking remains of a previous meal to make another.

Mind you, I was told by someone that haggis is posh, now.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt there will be any confirmed appointment to replace Bader Ginsburg until after the election. Trump and the Republicans know in particular that there will be huge evangelical turnout at the prospect of replacing the most pro abortion Justice on the court with a conservative.

It was high evangelical support which proved pivotal in 2004 in winning George W Bush a second term, the last re elected Republican president

You’re assuming that Republican senators want him re-elected. Maybe some of them would happily trade his defeat for securing a long term majority on the court. Some might even see it secretly as a win-win.

There is another angle to this though. A Republican nominee would fix the court balance decisively for a generation. Even worse the next change is likely to be neutral for the Democrats at best. Doesn’t it actually suit Republicans (Pres candidates and Senators alike) for the balance of the Supreme Court to be a live issue? Remove this issue and for the foreseeable future Republicans are going to need to find other reasons to get voters to support them.
    Republican Senators up for re election this year will also want a delay to ensure high evangelical turnout for them
    I do find it baffling that so many US evangelicals are obsessed with abortion but don’t care about infidelity, lying or fraud. Do they perhaps have a different version of the 10 Commandments?
    It's logical.

Abortion is a terrible crime committed against a completely innocent victim, and American has a lot of it.

This is much more important than picking one president over another because he's marginally less of a sliezeball.

Also, the abortion issue is likely to be settled for 50 years by a rebalanced SC, Trump will be gone in 4 years regardless.
    Those who would legally remove a woman's right to choose (with safeguards and within limits) whether to give birth or not are primitive zealots whose views have no place in a civilized society.

And regardless of Trump or no Trump, or the precise composition of the SC, such a radical diminution in the status of women would IMO not be tolerated in America, or indeed in any Western society. It's a reactionaries unicorn.
    You may think that this should not be tolerated. I agree. But I can easily see how it could be tolerated - in America and elsewhere.

America is tolerating changes to voter eligibility rules (in part because of a recent SC decision - listen to The Crisis of American Democracy on iPlayer to get the details) which are unpicking the right to vote so painfully won in the 1960’s. Change does not go always go in the same direction.
    True, But I'm bullish on the 'right to choose' since it is so fundamental to the status of women in society. The people who want to turn the clock back on this are imo howling at the moon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited September 2020
    kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt there will be any confirmed appointment to replace Bader Ginsburg until after the election. Trump and the Republicans know in particular that there will be huge evangelical turnout at the prospect of replacing the most pro abortion Justice on the court with a conservative.

It was high evangelical support which proved pivotal in 2004 in winning George W Bush a second term, the last re elected Republican president

You’re assuming that Republican senators want him re-elected. Maybe some of them would happily trade his defeat for securing a long term majority on the court. Some might even see it secretly as a win-win.

There is another angle to this though. A Republican nominee would fix the court balance decisively for a generation. Even worse the next change is likely to be neutral for the Democrats at best. Doesn’t it actually suit Republicans (Pres candidates and Senators alike) for the balance of the Supreme Court to be a live issue? Remove this issue and for the foreseeable future Republicans are going to need to find other reasons to get voters to support them.
    Republican Senators up for re election this year will also want a delay to ensure high evangelical turnout for them
    I do find it baffling that so many US evangelicals are obsessed with abortion but don’t care about infidelity, lying or fraud. Do they perhaps have a different version of the 10 Commandments?
    It's logical.

Abortion is a terrible crime committed against a completely innocent victim, and American has a lot of it.

This is much more important than picking one president over another because he's marginally less of a sliezeball.

Also, the abortion issue is likely to be settled for 50 years by a rebalanced SC, Trump will be gone in 4 years regardless.
    Those who would legally remove a woman's right to choose (with safeguards and within limits) whether to give birth or not are primitive zealots whose views have no place in a civilized society.

And regardless of Trump or no Trump, or the precise composition of the SC, such a radical diminution in the status of women would IMO not be tolerated in America, or indeed in any Western society. It's a reactionaries unicorn.
    Abortion is still illegal here technically unless there is a risk to a woman's life or health or rape and the same applies to Finland and Poland and Japan and abortion was illegal in Ireland until 2018.

Abortion remains severely restricted or illegal in most of Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and South Asia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law#/media/File:Abortion_Laws.svg
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

It could be ;-

Until they have a comparable range and a reasonable recharge time, ‘being cheaper’ than ICE isn’t going to help much.
    An average EV can get 250 miles and it will be fully charged each morning (so you'll not need to charge for most trips and if you do it can be done in 30 minutes). Not enough? Some can already get 400 miles.

When an average EV can do 500 miles on one charge and fully recharge in 45 minutes ICE will be done.

Edit - I would also like to know which EVs can do 400. The one with the best range I know of is the Kona at 259 miles. Even allowing for good driving I don’t think that would go 400 miles.
    Tesla Model S Long Range - 379 miles
    Tesla Model 3 Long Range - 348 miles
    - these are available now.

402 miles - https://insideevs.com/news/428908/tesla-model-s-first-400-mile-ev/
    500 miles - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/11/success/lucid-air-electric-car-500-miles-range/index.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

When I had a really long commute I'd reheat stuff made at the weekend all week. Lots of time at the weekend, but two minutes to stick it in the microwave when I got home.
    Surprise, low end rental accommodation fails to have a fridge and or freezer.

The number of barriers for those on the poverty line being able to do all these time/money saving cooking tips is staggeringly large.

Even if they have all the facilities necessary to cook then it takes only a single financial emergency from them having to spend money on the financial emergency rather than feeding the prepay meter and the that's all your frozen food spoiled.
    Had not thought of that final point, though I had thought that posters seem to think the capital expenditure on a freezer is trivial for everybody. Lots of letthemeatcakery about.
    you can pick them up second hand for peanuts , just more bollox excuses for lazy barstewards.
    I got my large second hand fridge freezer and washing machine delivered and installed for £50 from some bloke from Gumtree who lived locally. 5 years later they are both still going strong.

There is literally no point in arguing with these people, they've never lived in the real world.
    Right. And because that happened to one person, once, it must be what happens to everybody every single time. And anyone who argues otherwise is a complete and utter ----. Got you.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    Tom Hardy to be the new James Bond....good choice IMO.

There has to be somebody who can write a secret agent type movie for Idris Elbar though. I think he could be excellent as a more modern type spin on this genre.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

And once again the point is not that it is the only option but that it is clearly easier and cheaper to get the frozen pizza than it is to cook from scratch.
    Lol talk about moving the goal posts, first it was due to the cost, then it was a lack of time and now finally they don't have a proper kitchen now all your other arguments have been shown to be nonsense.

How can they store frozen pizza without a freezer and cook it without an oven? Your hypotheticals don't even make sense now. Time to admit defeat on this one.
    You pick it up on the way home! This isn't hard.

Your contention was that it was cheaper to make food fresh than buy prepared food.

I showed that not only was it cheaper but that cooking fresh was harder due to poor facilities, lack of time and lack of storage.

I like that you have constructed this as a win in your head.
    They've got time to go shopping every day for food, but not for the smaller amount of time to prepare and cook decent food in advance. Righto.

Max has already provided you with examples of healthy meals on one hot plate that can be done in 12 minutes from start to finish, which is less than the time taken to go shopping every night.

Why are you continuing to argue for something that clearly doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever?
    Healthy meal? Pasta and tomato sauce?

Zero protein.

I'll take the goodfellas frozen pepperoni pizza thank you very much.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

You think there are no people who lack all three of money, and time, and decent living conditions? Thank Goodness for that.

You are offering reheated Spectator bore fare. Why oh why do the poor fritter money away on Iceland pizzas when you can get scrag end of oxtail and offcuts of pig's cheeks for next to nothing from any good butcher, stick'em in a le Creuset with some onions from the walled garden and pop it in the Aga warming oven for a fortnight?

I've lived on £650 while working and having to pay all rent and bills and also lived on under £300 a month with no job under the same circumstances. Both times I found it much cheaper to eat healthily than eat junk as I've pointed out with examples.

But yeah I'm clearly a millionaire Tory with an aga whilst scoffing pig's cheeks daily. Jesus.
    Interesting that eating offal is seen as posh. As is slow cooking remains of a previous meal to make another.

And so it should be, nothing to beat haggis, neeps and tatties
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

It could be ;-

And how often do you drive 800 miles? I think you may need to stop at the services for half an hour? And how much would the fuel cost?

Driving 100 miles daily in a Tesla Model 3 vs a diesel BMW 3 Series would cost £1533 vs £4004.
    Plus your car details into https://www.zap-map.com/tools/journey-cost-calculator/
    Once the cost of a new electric car goes below that of a new ICE car there's really no contest. Cheaper maintenance, safer, cheaper to run, much better performance, better reslae values - oh and it helps the planet too.
    Of course it may still be cheaper to buy 2nd hand cars for a few more years.
    800 miles is the distance from Lands End to John O'Groats.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

The sad truth is - like housing & credit costs, it's expensive to be poor when it comes to food.
    When a kitchen was being rebuilt, I lived off a single electric hotplate for a while. Tricky, but it is possible to cook for 4 like that.

Ended up getting a rice cooker as well, in the end. The Japanese have created a zillion dishes that can be cooked in a rice cooker - due to mini apartments with no cooking facilities....
    I am always surprised how even among my more foodie friends, that have all the latest "in" kitchen gadgets, rice cookers don't ever seen to be something they buy...when every Chinese or Japanese student I have ever encountered, first they do, is purchase one and not only does it make cooking rice super easy, far superior than the how most people do it by boiling water in a pan.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

I am always surprised how even among my more foodie friends, that have all the latest "in" kitchen gadgets, rice cookers don't ever seen to be something they buy...when every Chinese or Japanese student I have ever encountered, first they do, is purchase one and not only does it make cooking rice super easy, far superior than the how most people do it by boiling water in a pan.
    I was useless at cooking rice until I learnt and mastered the absorption method. Now I do perfect rice every time.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,151

Labour's pledges should be something like:

Mend the railways
    Invest in the NHS

I'm not a PR guy, as you can see

That list will be enormous by the time Boris has finished with being PM!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

You may think that this should not be tolerated. I agree. But I can easily see how it could be tolerated - in America and elsewhere.

America is tolerating changes to voter eligibility rules (in part because of a recent SC decision - listen to The Crisis of American Democracy on iPlayer to get the details) which are unpicking the right to vote so painfully won in the 1960’s. Change does not go always go in the same direction.
    True, But I'm bullish on the 'right to choose' since it is so fundamental to the status of women in society. The people who want to turn the clock back on this are imo howling at the moon.
    Why do you think the clock can’t be turned back in the US? It is on voting rights. It has been on women’s rights in other countries. In parts of Europe (Poland, for instance) there is a backlash against gay rights.

The US is not automatically immune.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

Yes - and you can really live out of them. My relatives in Peru (poor by any definition, for the most part) swear by the things - they save money. You don't waste rice on a burnt bit (the non-stick coating inside), they use very little electricity and even the amount of water is carefully measured.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

Can never think of this subject without reflecting that the flash on Bowie's forehead on the Aladdin Sane cover was copied from a Panasonic rice cooker.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

Anyone who disagrees with you on abortion has no place in a civilised society...right.

On balance I am for abortion, but it's pretty grim. The child can smile and laugh before the arbitrary cut off point for abortion and screams when killed.

They have even had "partial-bith abortions" in the US under planned parenthood, where babies have been terminated after the mother has given birth.

The fact that you see anyone that can be against this practice as totally abhorrent because it inconveniences women says more about you than it does about them.
    Could I ask you to check back on my post? I was referring to those who would legally remove the right to choose from women not to those who hold different views on abortion from me. I didn't even say what my views on abortion are. As it happens I don't have a strong general view on it. Each one is different. Each one is a sad event.
  • Options

In the old USENET days of the internet, whenever the arguments got really heated, some of us would start posting receipes. A nice way to calm things down....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

Yes - and you can really live out of them. My relatives in Peru (poor by any definition, for the most part) swear by the things - they save money. You don't waste rice on a burnt bit (the non-stick coating inside), they use very little electricity and even the amount of water is carefully measured.
    Agreed on rice cookers. We use ours a lot. But rice is not particularly nutritious. Good for bulk but it’s what you eat with it that counts.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

I get that point of view. I really do. However, given that there is abortion, you would think that the folks who think like that would be 100% in their efforts to reduce demand.
    Such as easy access to contraception, advice and, crucially sexual education.
    But they do the opposite.
    Suggesting it really isn't the root of the issue.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

This is a specific subgenre pioneered in the Spectator by, I think, Simon Heffer.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

Yes, that's why the current Supreme Court has shied away from banning abortion, to the disappointment of evangelicals, because it doesn't want to impose a decision so monumental that the backlash might imperil its own existence.

My own view on abortion is probably odd, because I accept two of the major points from both sides of the debate: (1) Abortion is obviously murder - what else would you call the premeditated taking of a viable human life?; (2) Notwithstanding that, a woman has the right to an abortion whenever she pleases - right up to the moment of birth, if necessary - because human beings have an absolute right to control what happens to our own bodies, which are the one inalienable piece of property that all people are born with, and infringing that right makes all the others fairly meaningless. It's an ugly business, but infinitely preferable to the alternative.
  • Options

In the old USENET days of the internet, whenever the arguments got really heated, some of us would start posting receipes. A nice way to calm things down....
    It’s thought that the practice of trolling originated with people posting pineapple on pizza recipes.
  • Options
    On Topic, I am not sure what the death of RBG will mean to most undecided voters in middle America. I would have thought COVID and all its fall out is much more at the forefront on their mind, not an argument about which judge gets to replace her and how quickly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

I get that point of view. I really do. However, given that there is abortion, you would think that the folks who think like that would be 100% in their efforts to reduce demand.
    Controlling women is what this is about.
  • Options
    Anyway, just pulling out my 23cm signature Le Creuset cast iron pan to make a fresh pasta sauce for lunch (although I'm not common, I'm using fresh organic tomatoes rather than relying on Passata).

Ciao.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Fast recipes for midweek cooking:

1. Put the kettle on
    2. Chop 1 large onion
    3. Heat an extra large shallow frying pan with 5 tablespoons of good olive oil and fry the chopped onions
    4. Put the boiled water in a pan and salt it, add 300g of tagliatelle.
    5. As the onions are frying on a medium heat chop slice 3 cloves of garlic and add them in.
    6. After frying those off for a few minutes add 2 tablespoons of chilli flakes and 1 tablespoon of dried oregano.
    7. Add 350g of passata and 3 more tablespoons of olive oil.
    8. Put the tagliatelle directly from the water into the sauce and cook for a further two mins, add salt, sugar and pepper to taste. Add fresh basi as garnish if you have it.

The whole process takes about 12 mins from beginning to end and it's an exceptionally tasty and cheap meal. There are about a thousand variations of it too, I add spicy Calabrian sausages to it.

A different easy pasta dish I've made many, many times:

1. Boil water etc...
    2. Slice 6 good quality plum tomatoes into 5mm thick slices.
    3. Fry them in a large shallow pan with olive oil at high heat then set to one side.
    4. Add 100g of butter into the same large shallow frying pan.
    5. Slice 6 cloves of garlic and add them to the the pan at low to medium heat.
    6. Roughly chop 50g of fresh Italian basil add it to the pan.
    7. Add 50g of canned or jarred anchovy fillets.
    8. Salt the water and add 500g of linguine.
    8. Add two tablespoons of chilli flakes.
    9. Optionally add 3 tablespoons of chopped capers.
    10. Grate 200g of parmesan cheese (extra mature cheddar works but it's not as good).
    11. Add the cheese to the pan and a full ladle of water from the pasta pan, stir the mixture and then add the linguine directly from the pan with a pair of tongs, stir in and then add the tomatoes.
    12. Toss the mixture and serve.

That's about 20 mins from beginning to end and uses just one frying pan and one pan for boiling pasta so there's basically no washing up either.

Fast midweek cooking lesson ends.

Here's mine:

1. Boil water, etc.
    2. Heat up pan and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil
    3. Add can of chopped tomatoes
    4. Put water in pan and cook pasta (I often use spaghetti which is about 8 minutes to cook)
    5. Add some tomato puree, dried herbs, salt and pepper, etc.
    6. About 6 minutes in, add some frozen peas, or tuna, etc. to chopped tomatoes
    7. Add pasta to chopped tomatoes

You have a super quick tomato sauce, that you can add whatever veg you like and it's done in under 10 minutes
  • Options
    Tuna is a great sauce of protein, I always try and add that, it's super cheap as well for a can with tuna in oil
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

Abortion is still illegal here technically unless there is a risk to a woman's life or health or rape and the same applies to Finland and Poland and Japan and abortion was illegal in Ireland until 2018.

Abortion remains severely restricted or illegal in most of Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and South Asia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law#/media/File:Abortion_Laws.svg
    That is correct on all counts.

Here, it is technically default illegal unless 'exceptions' - with the exceptions being inside the term limits. Making it effectively legal up to those limits.

There is support amongst progressives to switch that. Make it technically default legal unless 'exceptions' - where the exceptions are outside the term limits.

Upshot is the same but the symbolism is different. Under the current law the state owns the woman's body and the woman must demonstrate she is within the exceptions in order to terminate a pregnancy. With the change, the woman owns her own body and the state must demonstrate she is outside the exceptions to prevent her having a lawful termination.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

It could be ;-

And how often do you drive 800 miles? I think you may need to stop at the services for half an hour? And how much would the fuel cost?

Driving 100 miles daily in a Tesla Model 3 vs a diesel BMW 3 Series would cost £1533 vs £4004.
    Plus your car details into https://www.zap-map.com/tools/journey-cost-calculator/
    Once the cost of a new electric car goes below that of a new ICE car there's really no contest. Cheaper maintenance, safer, cheaper to run, much better performance, better reslae values - oh and it helps the planet too.
    Of course it may still be cheaper to buy 2nd hand cars for a few more years.
    800 miles? Seldom.

400 miles? Very often, especially as I frequently visit remote areas a long way from dedicated charging points. That’s why I was asking about these cars with a 400 mile range. If there’s one out there, I’m interested. (And no, when I’m driving I tend not to stop at services, I prefer to drive straight through.)

Diesel round here costs £5.41 a gallon, of which I would need around 12 to do 800 miles. So £65. I’d need to know more before saying how that would compare to electricity, as I generate quite a lot of my own, but I buy it from the grid at 13.5p kWh.

Incidentally, I am looking to change my car so if there is an EV out there that would do what I need it to I’m definitely interested. I have been thinking of a hybrid.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

Yes, that's why the current Supreme Court has shied away from banning abortion, to the disappointment of evangelicals, because it doesn't want to impose a decision so monumental that the backlash might imperil its own existence.

My own view on abortion is probably odd, because I accept two of the major points from both sides of the debate: (1) Abortion is obviously murder - what else would you call the premeditated taking of a viable human life?; (2) Notwithstanding that, a woman has the right to an abortion whenever she pleases - right up to the moment of birth, if necessary - because human beings have an absolute right to control what happens to our own bodies, which are the one inalienable piece of property that all people are born with, and infringing that right makes all the others fairly meaningless. It's an ugly business, but infinitely preferable to the alternative.
    I would not accept (2). Once a baby is independently viable that is the point I would place a limit, which is pretty much I think where the limit is now in the U.K. Aborting a healthy child a week at 8 months 3 weeks of pregnancy is a step too far for me.

Anyway no-one has taken up my challenge re how far can a democracy go and what the limits are so I best be off to get some fresh air otherwise I will become even more depressed than I am already.
  • Options
    I reckon Keir has got the tone spot on with the patriotic values.

I wonder if we'll see some Union Jacks, footage of Blair's win always amazes me compared to Labour today, flags everywhere
  • Options
    Just avoid defeat at home to WBA and we are top of the league for a while...
    I love being an Evertonian.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I wonder if we'll see some Union Jacks, footage of Blair's win always amazes me compared to Labour today, flags everywhere

Well Blair also liked the term whiter than white....which is verboten now. Simpler times.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

It could be ;-

500 miles - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/11/success/lucid-air-electric-car-500-miles-range/index.html
    £38000 is unfortunately rather out of my budget. Moreover, the size and styling of the car isn’t great for what I want. Any that will do the same thing with decent boot space and a price tag around the £20-25000 mark?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The Prime Minister is looking to ditch his Rule of Six and introduce fortnight-long 'circuit breakers' nationwide for six months, following claims that it was 'inevitable' that a second wave would hit the country last night.

The new approach to get the UK through winter would see it alternate periods of stricter measures, including bans on all social contact between households and shutting down hospitality and leisure venues like bars and restaurants, with intervals of relaxation. Schools will be shut as a 'last resort', a Whitehall source claimed.

It is understood that the new 'circuit break' shutdown could be announced via television press conference on Tuesday, in a move reminiscent of the Government's behaviour during the peak of the pandemic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750087/Scientists-warn-Boris-Johnson-no-alternative-second-national-lockdown.html
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

I have never understood how people can be both anti-abortion and anti-contraception. Their arguments are so logically incoherent you would think Dominic Cummings had written them.
  • Options
    Telegraph website now leading on an article saying we must follow Sweden.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Yes you will, Labour seemed to be embarrassed by the Union flag the supporters would be happier waving the EU flag than the Union flag. Starmer needs to reverse that and make Labour supporters proud to be British again and bring in working class voters who already are.
  • Options

Well Blair also liked the term whiter than white....which is verboten now. Simpler times.
    It was unfortunate that he used that phrase at the same time as he was taking large sums of money from Bernie Ecclestone, although we all know of course that had nothing whatever to do with F1’s exemption from the tobacco advertising ban. Nothing. Why, they gave it back and everything when they got caught to ensure there was no conflict of interest.
  • Options

The Prime Minister is looking to ditch his Rule of Six and introduce fortnight-long 'circuit breakers' nationwide for six months, following claims that it was 'inevitable' that a second wave would hit the country last night.

The new approach to get the UK through winter would see it alternate periods of stricter measures, including bans on all social contact between households and shutting down hospitality and leisure venues like bars and restaurants, with intervals of relaxation. Schools will be shut as a 'last resort', a Whitehall source claimed.

It is understood that the new 'circuit break' shutdown could be announced via television press conference on Tuesday, in a move reminiscent of the Government's behaviour during the peak of the pandemic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750087/Scientists-warn-Boris-Johnson-no-alternative-second-national-lockdown.html

Well the anecdotal evidence from the NE seems to me to be. Those who are anxious are staying at home even more, hitting the economy.
    Those full of bravado haven't changed their behaviour at all.
    If so, it's a lose lose.
  • Options

I agree, we should ban international flights.
  • Options

Is the Swede in question single and good looking?

If so, I’ll do it as long I’m not at risk of being arrested for stalking.
  • Options
    Should we infer from the government scrambling that they definitely don't hold out any hope of a vaccine being ready for 6+ months.
  • Options
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death has turned the US election on its head - and Trump is salivating

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/19/analysis-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-death-has-turned-us-election-head/
  • Options

Should we infer from the government scrambling that they definitely don't hold out any hope of a vaccine being ready for 6+ months.

No, we should just infer they don’t have a fucking clue what they’re doing because they are all thick as pigshit.
  • Options
    Why are Swedish women so beautiful
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,967

It's April, and it's always been April as to when it will be available in quantities for everyone to be able to have it.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Interestingly the new Yougov data shows the Tories have lost the same percentage of 2019 voters, 5%, to the Brexit Party as they have to Labour.

Labour meanwhile has lost more 2019 voters to the Greens, 4%, than the 3% they have lost to the Tories.

The LDs have now lost more of their 2019 vote to Starmer Labour, 43% than the 41% they have retained

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/0jur4htqeh/YouGov Times VI 17 Sep 2020.pdf
  • Options

It’s all ABBAt the diet and exercise.
  • Options
    Bravo VAR!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    West Ham fans must be pleased.....seeing their future star player score a great goal for West Brom. And Pickford, never England #1 these days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I am sure I am not imagining that the average Swedish girl is more attractive than the average Brit.

Romanian girls too
  • Options

On Topic, I am not sure what the death of RBG will mean to most undecided voters in middle America. I would have thought COVID and all its fall out is much more at the forefront on their mind, not an argument about which judge gets to replace her and how quickly.

There are not that many undecided voters left, however it will drive up evangelical voters turnout for Trump to get a pro life Justice
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I am sure I am not imagining that the average Swedish girl is more attractive than the average Brit.

Romanian girls too
    Unless you have lived in both countries for extended periods, selection bias may be at work?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Interestingly the new Yougov data shows the Tories have lost the same percentage of 2019 voters, 5%, to the Brexit Party as they have to Labour.

Labour meanwhile has lost more 2019 voters to the Greens, 4%, than the 3% they have lost to the Tories.

The LDs have now lost more of their 2019 vote to Starmer Labour, 43% than the 41% they have retained

Labour has lost 3% to the Tories?
    I loved, Corbyn, me, but the sheer competence of Boris and the stable state of the country has converted me.

Who the heck are these people?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too
    Unless you have lived in both countries for extended periods, selection bias may be at work?
    I've worked with a lot of Romanian people in Software Eng
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too
    In which country? It's possible that only the pretty ones emigrate, or that the SE industry is appallingly lookist about hiring.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too
    In which country? It's possible that only the pretty ones emigrate, or that the SE industry is appallingly lookist about hiring.
    Oh in the UK but also virtually especially in the current pandemic.

I definitely think I'm self-selecting, my comment wasn't entirely serious
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54197168

Labour won't even need to announce this policy, the Tories have been kind enough to do it already
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

On past history Trump is bound to nominate somebody who is forced to withdraw, so may well become moot. There is also the outside possibility he chooses somebody who is vulnerable to a Democrat impeachment if they take House and Senate.

Surely, it is the Senate confirmation hearings that will be the bulk of the delay. They seemed to go on ages with Brett Kavanaugh.

Tis a pity that judicial ability, and Constitutional competence will barely be considered in the appointment process.
    |I don't think that is the real pity. The real pity is that the appointment of a judge whose job is to apply the law impartially is a political matter. Add in the absurd powers given to the SC under the Constitution (arguably the most overrated document in history) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Edit, those who spent much of this week wittering on about the importance of the rule of law really should reflect on this. Is this what they want?
    With the greatest respect, what a very silly comment to make.

You really think that how one country appoints judges is an argument against the rule of law?

It is worth considering the danger of using Judicial control to effect change.

Every single one of my American relatives thought that since they controlled the law (via the Supreme Court), that racial equality, gay rights etc etc were protected.

Then right wings judges started getting on the court....

The problem was that while (for example) a solemnly built bridge from personal privacy to abortion is a wonderful philosophical construct, it has a couple of defects.

- To the voters it sounds rather like "Screw you and who you vote for - we own the law". The classic line "Keep the coinage and the courts. Let the rabble have the rest." also comes to mind.
    - The suspension of belief required to think that, say, for the abortion issue, personal privacy encompasses abortion, but there is no right to privacy concerning a woman ingesting alcohol or drugs while pregnant. The argument was made up to achieve a goal.

The result is that the what the courts do in the US is, increasingly, legislate by seeing how far you can wordspin the existing laws.

Judicial activism without legislative activism simply builds a bridge without real support, in a democracy.
    A very thoughtful post. And there is much in what you say.

But none of that is an argument against the rule of law - which is what @DavidL seemed to be saying.

It is an argument for realising that when you change things you have to try and bring people with you. On the whole I prefer it if it is Parliament which makes changes. But it does raise the issue of what do you do if a legislature enacts a change which is beyond all moral decency - denying a group the right to vote, say. Should courts have no say?

It is a complicated issue though because if you look at the history of civil rights in the US, it was the SC’s decision on education in the 1950’s and the reaction to that by the police and others in Southern states which helped galvanise the civil rights movement and which led to the legislative changes eventually made by LBJ. Arguably without the court’s ruling it would have been much harder to make people realise the extent of discrimination and fight for change.
    I would agree that judicial branch ruling are a very important part of the process. The problem comes when they *are the process*. Note that LBJ didn't just sit on his well padded arse. He legislated like fury on the subject - following up on and improving upon SC rulings, in a number of cases.

The Rule of Law is a bit like Motherhood and Apple Pie. Everyone is in favour, but definitions differ.

One position is that the framework of Human Rights/Constitutional Law is all powerful and all encompassing. And that it binds the legislature.

Another is the minimalist position that there is very little the legislative branch can't do. It is only bound not to self perpetuate and a few other things. In all else, its word is final.

Consider the recent ruling on pension ages for women. A couple of lawyers I know, of the first group (above), were furious. They wanted to extend the idea that certain actions of government were *beyond legislative reach* - they were quite clear that they wanted a situation where, no matter what laws the government *passed in parliament*, they would be ruled illegal.
    But if the legislature’s final word is, say, let’s kill all the Jews, what then? Would the minimalists really be prepared to countenance that?
    The whole idea of the US Constitution, imperfect though it is and always has been, is to create a dynamic balance between repositories of power.

But as with any constitution, it assumes at least a minimum of shared values.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    dixiedean said:

Bravo VAR!

I’m surprised they’re letting a Tranmere ultra ref an Everton game that isn’t against Liverpool.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

Why do you think the clock can’t be turned back in the US? It is on voting rights. It has been on women’s rights in other countries. In parts of Europe (Poland, for instance) there is a backlash against gay rights.

The US is not automatically immune.
    It's not saying it's totally impossible that the forces of reactionary conservatism could get a hold of America to such an extent as to legislate that a pregnant woman must, regardless of her feelings or circumstances, carry her foetus for 9 months and give birth to it, but I really do judge it highly unlikely - for reasons that my phrasing seeks to make obvious. Course if it turns out I'm calling 3/11 all wrong and there's a landslide for Trump rather than against him, I might have to re-think that just slightly. But I'm not and so I won't. :smile:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,831

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too
    Viking looks are generally attractive.

One of the many stupidities of the Nazis was their belief that somehow the many blonde-haired/blue or grey eyed slavs, were in reality ethnic Germans. in reality, it's their viking heritage.
  • Options

Social democracy.
  • Options
    It means private companies run services for a fixed fee and any loss or profit falls to the government in charge.
    This system, which shifts risk away from private firms, is said to be favoured by train companies operating large, complicated commuter networks.

Can somebody explain the benefit of this, doesn't this give literally no incentive at all to improve the service
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too

One of the many stupidities of the Nazis was their belief that somehow the many blonde-haired/blue or grey eyed slavs, were in reality ethnic Germans. in reality, it's their viking heritage.
    Are you saying vikings give you the horn?

Ah, my coat...
  • Options

Social democracy.
    I thought it was Boris Johnson who made remarks about how the right political systems made women sexier?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too
    I hope they didn’t try to make you uncomfortable by living next door...
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MikeHolden42/status/1307026456237744131

Johnson will get walked over by anyone
  • Options
    More European immigration please :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

We have a rice cooker.
  • Options
    Anyone seen @LadyG recently?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

We have a rice cooker.
    I expect nothing less of PBers....
  • Options
    I’d love to be a fly on the wall at a Dem strategy meeting. In 2016 Trump received support from Evangelical church members. Many of them didn’t love his backstory but thought it worth voting for him to achieve a more Conservative administration and hopefully, for them a more Conservative Supreme Court.
    Will they turn out for Trump this time?
    Well, maybe if the Supreme Court nomination is the prize?
    If I were Trump and I thought I was in with a chance then I’d want the nomination delayed. If I thought I was certain to lose I’d want to push it through for my legacy.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

Agreed on rice cookers. We use ours a lot. But rice is not particularly nutritious. Good for bulk but it’s what you eat with it that counts.
    Does retain most of the arsenic, though.
    I still make mine with lots of water in a pan.
  • Options

Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death has turned the US election on its head - and Trump is salivating

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/19/analysis-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-death-has-turned-us-election-head/

So the media desperately need this race to do something interesting but isn't the most likely result will be that this sways approximately zero voters and Biden just carries on leading by 7?

I mean, it'll eat a few news cycles which would often involve signs of what a terrible human being Donald Trump is, but how many people are there really who have been watching Donald Trump for the last 4 years and haven't quite made up their minds whether they think he's a terrible human being, and just need that one more negative story...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There are not that many undecided voters left, however it will drive up evangelical voters turnout for Trump to get a pro life Justice
    Almost all Conservatives for whom the SC is a massive priority would be voting Trump anyway. And plus it raises passions on the other side too. In the 2018 midterms, straight after the Kavanaugh circus, the Dems won the PV by over 8 points. RBG is no election gamechanger imo. The only possible gamechanger is something really really bad from or about Joe Biden.
  • Options
    "[The PM's] silence points to a stranger absence in the current Covid debate. When all of this started, we were told that the point of lockdown was to reduce the burden on our health system while the Government expanded its capacity. Policy was determined by epidemiological models estimating that burden. Thanks to better data and the impressive progress of treatments and drug trials, the inputs to that model should now be quite different... Yet we are still being told to fear and suppress a virus in the same terms, even as it has shown itself to be less dangerous"

Telegraph
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,967

Anyone seen @LadyG recently?

Excluded from SeanT PB Covid bubble as it was one account too many...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,831
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Romanian girls too

Are you saying vikings give you the horn?

Ah, my coat...
    Monkish chroniclers used to complain bitterly at how the Danes' decadent habit of bathing once a week made them very attractive to English women. I guess in the 9th century, having a bath every week was obsessive compulsive. Not to mention that Danish graves are full of personal grooming items like combs and toothpicks.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,258
    edited September 2020
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I loved, Corbyn, me, but the sheer competence of Boris and the stable state of the country has converted me.

I understand the mentality of those people. They don't have a left-right mindset but are instead people who hate conventional politics and want to burn it down. They don't actually care that much whether it's Corbynistas or Cummingistas pouring on the petrol. Starmer, by contrast, is a pretty conventional politician.

They hate the "elite", which in their language is people who patronise them by responding to every simplistic, knee-jerk opinion they come out with "well, actually, it's a little more complex than that".

It's a minority view and a daft view. But it's not incomprehensible.
  • Options
    If it's OK for Senate hearings for the SC appointment to proceed during an election campaign, it must be OK for Eric Trump to obey his subpoena - the one he's challenging on the grounds that he shouldn't have to obey it during an election campaign.

As for 50-50 in the Senate with Pence getting a casting vote, might it not be 49-50 if Trump's pick is a member of the Senate such as Cruz or Cotton, law graduates whom he has said are on his list for the SC? Nemo judex in causa sua.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

We have a rice cooker.
    Isn’t that a rather disrespectful way to refer to your domestic help? :smile:
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I understand the mentality of those people. They don't have a left-right mindset but are instead people who hate conventional politics and want to burn it down. They don't actually care that much whether it's Corbynistas or Cummingistas pouring on the petrol. Starmer, by contrast, is a pretty conventional politician.

Or it might be, of course, they’ve looked at Johnson with a cold eye and noticed he’s implementing a lot of Corbyn’s policies.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It was unfortunate that he used that phrase at the same time as he was taking large sums of money from Bernie Ecclestone, although we all know of course that had nothing whatever to do with F1’s exemption from the tobacco advertising ban. Nothing. Why, they gave it back and everything when they got caught to ensure there was no conflict of interest.
    The Labour Government of Blair was so much more adept than this Government. Even the corruption was better. I am of course referencing Jenrick's paltry ten grand from Desmond.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

They hate the "elite", which in their language is people who patronise them by responding to every simplistic, knee-jerk opinion they come out with "well, actually, it's a little more complex than that".

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.
    Can't get my head round it, but I've met a few who think like that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

That makes sense.

We have a rice cooker.
    Isn’t that a rather disrespectful way to refer to your domestic help? :smile:
    Your coat?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

It's logical.

Pretty much agree in principle. And on (2) one can be sure that women will not (for obvious reasons) make a habit of final week terminations. But on balance I'd stick with the current limits. I think we have this got this difficult and sensitive issue in about right place.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Almost all Conservatives for whom the SC is a massive priority would be voting Trump anyway. And plus it raises passions on the other side too. In the 2018 midterms, straight after the Kavanaugh circus, the Dems won the PV by over 8 points. RBG is no election gamechanger imo. The only possible gamechanger is something really really bad from or about Joe Biden.
    It was high evangelical turnout for George W Bush that was pivotal for re electing him over Kerry in 2004, evangelicals did not turn out in 2018 to the extent they did in 2016 or 2004
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

If the Republicans do try to seat a Trump nominee, it might be a political game changer, though. It will take the brakes off what an incoming Democratic administration might consider in terms of constitutional radicalism.

They are simply not going to accept a decades long conservative domination of the Supreme Court put in place by the lame duck representatives of a minority of the electorate.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Labour Government of Blair was so much more adept than this Government. Even the corruption was better. I am of course referencing Jenrick's paltry ten grand from Desmond.
    Boris Johnson hasn’t yet been accused of flogging peerages.

Which is quite amazing when you like at some of the rubbish he’s ennobled.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    Trump managed 46% and got very lucky to win in 2016 and was with the SC judge opening at that time so talk of this event suddenly seeing him coasting to victory is misguided and this is likely to repeat the increased turnout of the Dems in the 2018 mid terms .

The Dems were far too soft in 2016 , they thought Clinton would beat Trump so they’d get their nominee . This is different altogether , the anger is through the roof and nuclear tactics are Iikely to be used this time .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

It could be ;-

£38000 is unfortunately rather out of my budget. Moreover, the size and styling of the car isn’t great for what I want. Any that will do the same thing with decent boot space and a price tag around the £20-25000 mark?
    ... and we're back to

The model 'S' is too big, model 3 is about BMW 3 series size. The Polestar2 looks good, but yes the price needs to come down - hopefully Elon will say something about it next Tuesday.
  • Options
    What happens if the elections needs a Supreme Court Ruling and there only 6 members and it ends up tied.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

It could be ;-

... and we're back to

The model 'S' is too big, model 3 is about BMW 3 series size. The Polestar2 looks good, but yes the price needs to come down - hopefully Elon will say something about it next Tuesday.
    We’re back to ‘electric cars become cheaper than ICE cars.’ Except actually, we’re modifying it to ‘they come within a reasonably similar budget range and will do an acceptable if inferior job,’ as the price I’ve quoted is about five thousand above the ICE equivalent, or call it four thousand gallons of diesel, which would take me 280,000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.