Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Politico survey of early voting data in key WH2020 swing sta

123457»

Comments

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2020
    Stocky said:

This is the worst Government of my - albeit, short - lifetime

Just how young are you? You`re really pissing me off now.
    Personally I think he's right, in terms of modern lifetimes ; and I'm quite a bit older. I'd rate it as the worst government since Thatcher's scorched-earth, monetarist-laboratory first term, up to and including the Falklands, even before Reagan's government had got in on the same act to the same extent, and when, around 1980, our only counterpart at that time of the journey was Pinochet.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:
    And surely dogwhistling ukip voters in an imminent general election? Please tell me that nobody else, let alone the tory back benches, is stupid enough to swallow it?
  • LadyG said:

Interesting new perspective on Boris' tactics from the often very well informed Bruno Waterfield

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/11/the-eu-cant-handle-british-independence/

That would be the same Bruno Waterfield who praised Boris Johnson for getting the deal and now calls it 'The Internal Market Bill clears up the ambiguity and the contradictions of the deliberate smoke-and-mirrors inherent in the Northern Ireland Protocol,'
    Bruno Waterfield is another ex-Revolutionary Communist Party Brexiteer who thinks the EU should be destroyed.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,856
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I had you as older than 10.
    I'm obviously 12
    Brown's time was in my view the worst phase in recent years. I know nobody likes Blair, but he was a good PM.

The 70s, Heath, Wilson, Callaghan were worse, by far, than anything recent.

The coalition government with Cameron and Clegg was really good.

May was good too - She will finish up rather unfairly and unluckily judged.

Boris - few PMs have faced such a challenge. We'll see,
    There’s some truth here. Not a lot but certainly some. As a general comment I think you judge Tory PMs more astutely than Labour ones.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds like its time for conservative mps to start sending in their letters to the 1922

You did not even vote for him in the leadership vote when Boris won 51% of Tory MPs and 66% of Tory members votes and he has a majority of 80 and still leads most polls, Boris is safe
    Dear me, do you not see just how he has just trashed the conservative brand by tearing up an international treaty

He is shameless and needs to either resign or be thrown out
    He has taken action to avoid a hard border in the Irish Sea, however if you refuse to now support the party leader elected by the party membership and MPs and elected PM by the voters last year you are quite welcome to resign from the party and join the LDs or Starmer Labour.
    I am going nowhere

I will fight to regain the integrity of the party and see the end to the Boris Cummings disaster
    If you continue your fight to undermine and attack the party leader you may not resign but you may find it is you being thrown out not Boris
    By you and whose army?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds like its time for conservative mps to start sending in their letters to the 1922

You did not even vote for him in the leadership vote when Boris won 51% of Tory MPs and 66% of Tory members votes and he has a majority of 80 and still leads most polls, Boris is safe
    Dear me, do you not see just how he has just trashed the conservative brand by tearing up an international treaty

He has taken action to avoid a hard border in the Irish Sea, however if you refuse to now support the party leader elected by the party membership and MPs and elected PM by the voters last year you are quite welcome to resign from the party and join the LDs or Starmer Labour.
    I am going nowhere

I will fight to regain the integrity of the party and see the end to the Boris Cummings disaster
    If you continue your fight to undermine and attack the party leader you may not resign but you may find it is you being thrown out not Boris
    You continue to spout utter rubbish
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,717

Yep, tossing out their biggest election winner in decades nine months after his landslide would definitely not be a batshit-insane thing to do.
    I think you are right, he is in effect dictator until 2024 or he decides otherwise. Even if the Tory MPs get a leadership contest, he will play the ultra Brexit card and win the following leadership contest with the membership pretty easily.
    Exactly, Boris won the Tory membership by an even bigger margin than Corbyn or Starmer did the Labour membership
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2020
    I wonder if Covid could scar many southern areas (so used to high employment in service sectors) in the way mass de-industrialation did in the North.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8722111/Quiet-streets-Gatwick-ghost-town.html

The attraction of places like Crawley was not just jobs at the airport but really good links into London. If people don't need to commute in daily, why would you live there? Which then has a huge snowball effect on all the jobs that support the fact there is a large numbers of well paid commuters.
  • This is easily, by a country mile, the worst government since WWII. No question about it. Other governments have been poor because they've made mistakes or been a bit rubbish. This one is unique in being intentionally a disaster.
  • This is easily, by a country mile, the worst government since WWII. No question about it. Other governments have been poor because they've made mistakes or been a bit rubbish. This one is unique in being intentionally a disaster.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm obviously 12
    Brown's time was in my view the worst phase in recent years. I know nobody likes Blair, but he was a good PM.

David Cameron was the worst Prime Minister since Lord North.
    I disagree.

These failed politicians - Cameron, Blair, Clegg - we see them as such. However they're not so.

Brown is a failed politician, and somehow is persona grata.

I don't have any knowledge about Lord North beyond his general existence and timings.
  • Israel and the Gulf state of Bahrain have reached a landmark deal to fully normalise their relations, US President Donald Trump has announced.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54124996
  • Tony Blair was the best PM of my life
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Israel and the Gulf state of Bahrain have reached a landmark deal to fully normalise their relations, US President Donald Trump has announced.

What are his odds on the peace prize again?
  • NEW THREAD

edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So Barnier is now threatening to ban UK food exports to the EU if no trade deal is agreed, if the UK responds in kind better stock up on the brie and champagne and paella and pasta

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8721645/Gordon-Brown-blasts-Boris-Johnson-Brexit-plans.html

He's not threatening anything of the kind. That is the default position in EU law. By definition, no deal means no deal. If there's no deal, we will by definition be a third-party country without recognition of our standards by the EU, and therefore under EU law, then specific and very well defined rules apply. These rules are not exactly a state secret, they are published on the EU websites:

https://ec.europa.eu/food/safety/official_controls/legislation/imports_en#:~:text=The European Union is a,products from the EU itself.

Sane people have been pointing this out for at least three years, when the fantasy that we could crash out with no deal first started becoming popular with the nutjobs and then the Conservative Party as a whole.

It really isn't hard to understand.

As for us 'retaliating' by cutting off our own food supplies, well I suppose it might be good idea because it would lead to the immediate collapse of the government, and that might be the quickest route to sanity, starting from where we are.
    Tariffs may apply but banning UK food exports altogether is a different matter and our food complies to a high standard of production
    I know I'm banging my head against a brick wall, but it doesn't matter a toss what our food standards are if the EU procedures to have those food standards recognised haven't been followed. Those procedures are well defined and include inter alia the exporting country nominating a regulatory body and applying to the EU to have it recognised. In other words, we have to reach an agreement with them. If there's no deal, then by definition that won't have happened.

As I said, this really isn't hard to understand.
    Well fine, if the EU refuse to allow in our food because they decide it does not comply to their standards, we will set our standards to ensure we restrict the amount of EU food allowed into the UK too.

We shall eat more British produce and import more produce from outside the EU
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

Young enough not to know that's what people have always said about every government?

I started reading "The Lion and The Unicorn" this week; almost 70 years old and Orwell was saying the current crop lacked the gravitas of the old mob even then!

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm obviously 12

I have never really seen the case against Lord North made. He lasted 12 years ( a feeble metric but 1,000 times less feeble than the commonly spouted bollocks about how many GEs x won with what size swings, since it says something about how he did the job rather than how he got it), heroic victor of a Falklands crisis, but lost a war in the days when, comms being what they were, wars were won or lost by the generals and admirals, not the PMs.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am going nowhere

By you and whose army?
    As a party member you are supposed to support the party and ideally campaign for the party, certainly if BigG was discovered to be advocating a non Conservative vote he could be thrown out under party rules
  • https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1304467358556266496

Philip assured us Johnson's deal didn't do this, oh well, wrong again

No I didn't.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm obviously 12

I disagree.

These failed politicians - Cameron, Blair, Clegg - we see them as such. However they're not so.

I don't have any knowledge about Lord North beyond his general existence and timings.
    I think Gordon Brown is going to be remembered very well in history.
    Major modernising policy reforms at Treasury, led the world in response to financial crisis, and maybe saved the union (perhaps just for a decade or two).

He wasn't great at politics and apparently was not a pleasant man to work for, and like most he missed the crisis coming, but the good outweighs the bad IMO.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am going nowhere

I think you will find that the person undermining Boris the most is Boris himself.

Yep, tossing out their biggest election winner in decades nine months after his landslide would definitely not be a batshit-insane thing to do.
    It won't be happening but there is a case. His mandate is arguably gone in that he won the election under false pretences. He promised a border in the Irish Sea - the move which broke the impasse - and is now backtracking.
  • rkrkrk said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm obviously 12

I disagree.

Major modernising policy reforms at Treasury, led the world in response to financial crisis, and maybe saved the union (perhaps just for a decade or two).

He wasn't great at politics and apparently was not a pleasant man to work for, and like most he missed the crisis coming, but the good outweighs the bad IMO.
    In his memoirs he comes across as more out of his depth than you might expect.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

rkrkrk said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm obviously 12

I disagree.

It's very unlikely he'll come across as more out-of-depth than I'd expect.

Israel and the Gulf state of Bahrain have reached a landmark deal to fully normalise their relations, US President Donald Trump has announced.

Give that man a fi ... a Nobel peace prize!
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

LadyG said:

Interesting new perspective on Boris' tactics from the often very well informed Bruno Waterfield

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/11/the-eu-cant-handle-british-independence/

That would be the same Bruno Waterfield who praised Boris Johnson for getting the deal and now calls it 'The Internal Market Bill clears up the ambiguity and the contradictions of the deliberate smoke-and-mirrors inherent in the Northern Ireland Protocol,'
    He's one of the best commentators on Brexit. Not identifiably Leave or Remain. Happy to criticise both sides, very heavily. He's been harsh on UK incompetence, but he is equally harsh on the many horrific flaws of the EU.

I probably trust him more than any other Brexit "expert". Someone like David Allen Green is as ludicrously biased as John Redwood from the other angle.
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

rkrkrk said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I'm obviously 12

I disagree.

Same goes for Cameron. He comes over, in his memoirs, as rather naive, anxious, and tentative. And prone to major unforced errors. There is no effortless Etonian self confidence. He sounds over-promoted. As indeed he was.

The ideal UK government of the last ten years would have been George Osborne working with Peter Mandelson, with maybe Boris Johnson or pre-Iraq Blair as a token frontman,

If we are allowed Scots I'd bring in Alex Salmond and Ruth Davidson as well.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited September 2020
    Edit
This discussion has been closed.