Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump decides that he doesn’t need special preparation for the

Comments

• Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.
    There is a hitherto unnoticed sleeping army of "retired environmental officers?"
    Have they been lying dormant in some underground lair awaiting the call to arise!?
    This is like one of the non-Russell T Davies Torchwoods.

I am more perturbed by the "... neighbours are encouraged to inform on offenders ..."

FFS!

When did we become East-Germany-on-Sea?
    That really is a stomach churning turn of phrase isn;t it? just awful.

As I say when the Gestapo did it, they were inundated. What's to stop people informing maliciously?
    I warned about this sort of thing about a year ago when some of the madder pronouncements and proroguing was going on - about how we were becoming more and more fascist.

And here we are...
    Yes, fascist regimes were well known for their characteristic love of community enforcement of public health measures during a pandemic. One of the defining traits of that political system in all the textbooks.
    In agreement with you, possibly for the first time ever. The comparison between informing the police about events which are illegal and detrimental to public heath with the sort of stuff that went on in Nazi/East Germany is absurd (I have relatives who grew up in and escaped from the latter regime).
    It always starts with the best of intentions...
    Why would I not inform the police about illegal activities that are detrimental to the well-being of my vulnerable relatives? What else would you turn a blind eye to? Burglary? Assault?
    Funnily enough that is almost exactly what our next door neighbour said to us when trying to justify a snide remark about a trip we made to London. She was wrong in every material respect but of course facts and evidence don't bother your average curtaintwitcher.

As it happens, she's a bitch. There are plenty out there. How much encouragement you want to give such people? You want them forming vigilante groups? I promise you they'd love it.

We have one too: an elderly neighbour diagonally across from us.

It results in the worst sort of community mistrust, suspicion and a breakdown of social cohesion.

The benefit of the doubt should be given unless the violation is flagrant and obvious and then, first, I'd politely raise it with my neighbor first to ask if everything was ok.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.
    There is a hitherto unnoticed sleeping army of "retired environmental officers?"
    Have they been lying dormant in some underground lair awaiting the call to arise!?

I am more perturbed by the "... neighbours are encouraged to inform on offenders ..."

FFS!

Central command centre, ruthless purges, everyone an informer, Cummings really has a soft spot for Stalinism.
    Is it Cummings driving this? I wonder.
    Nothing happens in this government without Cummings's approval. The whole re-wiring project is all about that. And we know that Dom is very keen on control.

Basically, if you're supporting this government for libertarian reasons, you've been had.
    As I have said the only problem Cummings had with an out of touch elite controlling everything was the He specifically was not it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

As I say when the Gestapo did it, they were inundated. What's to stop people informing maliciously?
    I warned about this sort of thing about a year ago when some of the madder pronouncements and proroguing was going on - about how we were becoming more and more fascist.

And here we are...
    Yes, fascist regimes were well known for their characteristic love of community enforcement of public health measures during a pandemic. One of the defining traits of that political system in all the textbooks.
    In agreement with you, possibly for the first time ever. The comparison between informing the police about events which are illegal and detrimental to public heath with the sort of stuff that went on in Nazi/East Germany is absurd (I have relatives who grew up in and escaped from the latter regime).
    Yes, I'm with you and, remarkably, BluestBlue as well. There's no comparison at all. I also see this largely as a matter of deterrent. Hopefully it will make folk think twice about having house parties ("the neighbours might grass me up"), so the amount of snitching necessary will be minimal. Of course, there will always be curtain-twitchers who phone the police about stuff, but we have those in normal times.

I'm also curious as to what Contrarian thinks the motive behind these new measures is. He's always angry about stuff, but I just don't see these restrictions as a government attempt to court popularity. What's in it for them?
    Do you not see how legislating with such force to prevent an illness is a dangerous path to take?
    Legislation to prevent the spread of Covid was clearly necessary, and has been implemented globally - even in Brazil and the USA, for example. I agree, however, that getting the force of that legislation right is a difficult balancing act. Despite what some say, we have never been under "house arrest". France has had significantly stricter legislation. Personally I haven't felt my civil liberties significantly curtailed. Although I'm an ardent opponent of the current government, I don't think the legislative measures have been unreasonable in pursuit of a reduction in the death rate.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    It doesn;t matter what the excuse is for breaking up public meetings, creating government snitch networks, imposing curfews and encouraging neighbours to betray each other. Every tin pot despot will find his own excuse.

The fact is, these things are being done.
    The obvious thing to do is to report all your neighbours everyday. If we all do it then it becomes unworkable
    I’m wondering if I can afford to get everyone in the 15 miles north of Durham a really good pair of binoculars.

That seems to be the way to ease these restrictions.
    It really has gone too far now and requires civil disobedience on a huge scale. The rules as far as I can see boil down to....

1) If someone makes money its fine and safe to mix

2) If no one is making money then you mustn't mix.

The public aren't as stupid as Boris is hoping
    I was going to report my neighbours but when I phoned the hotline they said I would have to drive 300 miles to Fife to complete the report.
    Not Barnard Castle?
    The town is full of sightseers.

Sight seekers, shurely? I’m told it’s *the* place to get an eye test.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    Why would I not inform the police about illegal activities that are detrimental to the well-being of my vulnerable relatives? What else would you turn a blind eye to? Burglary? Assault?
    Funnily enough that is almost exactly what our next door neighbour said to us when trying to justify a snide remark about a trip we made to London. She was wrong in every material respect but of course facts and evidence don't bother your average curtaintwitcher.

As it happens, she's a bitch. There are plenty out there. How much encouragement you want to give such people? You want them forming vigilante groups? I promise you they'd love it.

What a ridiculous answer. No, I don't want them forming vigilante groups. Yes, I want them to inform the police if people are obviously breaking the law and thus endangering my vulnerable relatives.

I remember back at the start of this crisis remarking to a friend that the UK (and, in particular, my vulnerable relatives) are fucked because people are too bloody-minded and self-entitled to follow rules and too timid to challenge or report others breaking the rules. How prescient was that?
    And who decides that they are 'obviously breaking the law'? Bitch next door was sure we were. She couldn't have been more wrong but you try telling a self-righteous little Nazi that. For the sort of helful informing you have in mind you need names, numbers, addresses and times. There's no shortage of self-appointed coppers out there with nothing better to do than spy on their neighbours so they can report them. The usual result is a lot of upset and the massive wasting of police time. You really want this?

Leave the coppering to the coppers.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    Yes, I'm with you and, remarkably, BluestBlue as well. There's no comparison at all. I also see this largely as a matter of deterrent. Hopefully it will make folk think twice about having house parties ("the neighbours might grass me up"), so the amount of snitching necessary will be minimal. Of course, there will always be curtain-twitchers who phone the police about stuff, but we have those in normal times.

I'm also curious as to what Contrarian thinks the motive behind these new measures is. He's always angry about stuff, but I just don't see these restrictions as a government attempt to court popularity. What's in it for them?
    Do you not see how legislating with such force to prevent an illness is a dangerous path to take?
    Legislation to prevent the spread of Covid was clearly necessary, and has been implemented globally - even in Brazil and the USA, for example. I agree, however, that getting the force of that legislation right is a difficult balancing act. Despite what some say, we have never been under "house arrest". France has had significantly stricter legislation. Personally I haven't felt my civil liberties significantly curtailed. Although I'm an ardent opponent of the current government, I don't think the legislative measures have been unreasonable in pursuit of a reduction in the death rate.
    It’s maybe worth remembering how strict the Italians got.

https://youtu.be/KxtGJsnLgSc
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...

It results in the worst sort of community mistrust, suspicion and a breakdown of social cohesion.

The benefit of the doubt should be given unless the violation is flagrant and obvious and then, first, I'd politely raise it with my neighbor first to ask if everything was ok.
    Exactly. Our curtaintwitcher had every opportunity to speak to us first. It would have cleared the matter up in an instant. Last thing she was going to do though. She wanted to grass us up. Some people are just like that. They don't need any encouragement.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Interesting thought: would that make those who bet on Biden as next President losers?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...

Exactly. Our curtaintwitcher had every opportunity to speak to us first. It would have cleared the matter up in an instant. Last thing she was going to do though. She wanted to grass us up. Some people are just like that. They don't need any encouragement.
    They do it for the power.

And because they secretly dislike themselves too.

People are weird.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...

What a ridiculous answer. No, I don't want them forming vigilante groups. Yes, I want them to inform the police if people are obviously breaking the law and thus endangering my vulnerable relatives.

I remember back at the start of this crisis remarking to a friend that the UK (and, in particular, my vulnerable relatives) are fucked because people are too bloody-minded and self-entitled to follow rules and too timid to challenge or report others breaking the rules. How prescient was that?
    And who decides that they are 'obviously breaking the law'? Bitch next door was sure we were. She couldn't have been more wrong but you try telling a self-righteous little Nazi that. For the sort of helful informing you have in mind you need names, numbers, addresses and times. There's no shortage of self-appointed coppers out there with nothing better to do than spy on their neighbours so they can report them. The usual result is a lot of upset and the massive wasting of police time. You really want this?

I think a number of police forces said reports to them were largely baseless when this last happened in April.

But, then, the Government weren't encouraging it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Off Topic

Saw the presser.

...and by the way Mr Johnson, you are not "my Prime Minister". Who does he think he is? The Queen!
  • Options

Interesting thought: would that make those who bet on Biden as next President losers?
    Next President market on Betfair is based on winner of the EC.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,444
    Alistair said:

Do they wait until the ECV members cast votes in December to settle bets?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...

Maybe. What is the death rate at the moment? Not that I think a resurgence couldn't occur but the vast majority of people are not at risk and those that are will in any case take precautions.

I don't like the instructions to snitch even though I understand it is to prevent law breaking. But in this case as Boris came close to admitting, we are also being asked to accept some illogicalities in the restrictions so more leeway and trust should be employed.
  • Options
    If he expects integrity from ABdP Johnson, I have a bridge to sell him.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    I’ve been busy. Has @Philip_Thompson learnt what the rule of law means yet?

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Scott_xP said:
    Equally stunning is effing Woodward keeping it to himself for months.
    Like his book sales take precedence over the rest of the country....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

kinabalu said:

Drutt said:

Hello again everyone. Been away a while. New phone.

I very much doubt Trump is skipping preparation.

What is everyone's headline prediction (12 words or fewer) for US elections? Broadly mine is 'Biden to squeak it because Great Lake states turn blue'.

"Trump out in Dem landslide but Florida stubbornly stays red".
    That's about my take, though maybe less of the 'landslide'. It should be comfortable enough but Florida is different and will probably stay red.
    Yes - decisive win would be a more accurate description. I'll be calling it a landslide though if I possibly can. ☺
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Mr_Sam_Stewart/status/1303726716364492805

I honestly think for his health he must be considering resigning, he looks terrible
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I think this is bullshit from Trump. He'll be prepping.

No, I don't think so. He's making a virtue of necessity. I don't think he has the mental acumen to absorb the advice he is given, nor the humility to accept. He'll wing it, as he wings most things. It's worked before, he thinks it will work again.

I mean, it's not as if his core vote is hot on textual analysis.
    I would prefer you to be right. If he tries to wing it there's a good chance of a disaster.
    He can talk pure broken biscuits and his fans will lap it up.
    Oh god yes. But another dettolgate will lose some of the few remaining undecideds.
  • Options

Just logging back in. Have I got this right? Marshals will patrol our streets enforcing covid regulations?

What the hell happened to us? We've collectively lost our minds.

Agreed. But many on here think its OK.

I wonder how far this needs to get before they think things are not OK.
    Usually by that stage it is too late.

How long before these restrictions need to happen every winter because of flu? Maybe that is too paranoid, but it something people should at least ask.
    We have a vaccine for flu
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

I honestly think for his health he must be considering resigning, he looks terrible

He sounded fine to me but of course the left and those who do not want a hard Brexit want him to resign, though with an 80 seat Tory majority it would make no difference
  • Options

witter.com/Mr_Sam_Stewart/status/1303726716364492805

FPT:

The BBC used this one....

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Drutt said:

What is everyone's headline prediction (12 words or fewer) for US elections? Broadly mine is 'Biden to squeak it because Great Lake states turn blue'.

"Trump out in Dem landslide but Florida stubbornly stays red".
    That's about my take, though maybe less of the 'landslide'. It should be comfortable enough but Florida is different and will probably stay red.
    Yes - decisive win would be a more accurate description. I'll be calling it a landslide though if I possibly can. ☺
    If Texas flips, it's a landslide. Otherwise it's a normal win or a damn close thing.

I don't honestly think Texas will flip, but if it does the ECV distortion switches too. Instead of the ECV system favoring the GOP, it will then favor the Democrats. Cue bitter complaints about the system's unfairness!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He sounded fine to me but of course the left and those who do not want a hard Brexit want him to resign, though with an 80 seat Tory majority it would make no difference
    I’m less exercised about Brexit than about how shit a PM he’s proving to be.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I do want him gone but I think your party would benefit in the long run by him going as well, not just me saying that here either.

He doesn't look well, I don't see how you deny it.
  • Options

Drutt said:

I'm resigned to Trump winning on election night but postals making Biden President a few days later.

Then we're headed for an epic shitshow.
    So long as it’s a few days...
    The Deadline That Could Hand Trump the Election
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-biden-electoral-count-act-1887/615994/
  • Options
    edited September 2020

FPT

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

EEA is Norway's baby so it will be a UK equivalent if it happens. Clearly worse than EU membership: you get all the constraints with none of the influence over things that matter to you. The opposite of "taking control". However if we accept EU membership is gone for good, which almost everyone does now, it is possible to have straight trade off between self interest of a close relationship with the rest of our continent and being able to do what we like as long as it's in isolation. I always assumed we would get to this point some stage. I am no longer confident that will be as the United Kingdom.

More likely it will only be as a United Kingdom, without Scottish MPs the chances of Starmer becoming PM and shifting to a softer EEA style Brexit are very remote, hard Brexit with a re elected Tories in England and Wales is likely
    You may be too young to remember this, but the Tories have been crushed in England before, and opinions can move dramatically from one election to the next.

England-only 1992 GE:

Conservative 319
    Labour 195

England-only 1997 GE:

Labour 328
    Conservative 165
    That was after 18 years of Tory rule, 2024 will only be after 14 years and Starmer is still more leftwing and less charismatic than Blair and Boris has a more robust culturally conservative coalition than Major did. Even Blair did not win most votes in England in 2005 and Blair is the only Labour leader to win a majority of seats in England since 1966
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    So, Mr Churchill, you can take your blackout rules, and Home Guard, and rationing, and stick them somewhere.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

kinabalu said:

I think this is bullshit from Trump. He'll be prepping.

No, I don't think so. He's making a virtue of necessity. I don't think he has the mental acumen to absorb the advice he is given, nor the humility to accept. He'll wing it, as he wings most things. It's worked before, he thinks it will work again.
    Trump's own lawyers said that he shouldn't speak directly to the Special Counsel as he was incapable of doing so without perjuring himself. The guy says the dumbest stuff at the drop of a hat, and that's when he's not lying about easily verifiable things.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Thanks Hyufd. That's Trump's best result on a day of many polls.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

What makes you think he cares?

We are not sure on here that Boris knows what the rule of law means...
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...

It's alright, they'll send the Marshals in.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

EEA is Norway's baby so it will be a UK equivalent if it happens. Clearly worse than EU membership: you get all the constraints with none of the influence over things that matter to you. The opposite of "taking control". However if we accept EU membership is gone for good, which almost everyone does now, it is possible to have straight trade off between self interest of a close relationship with the rest of our continent and being able to do what we like as long as it's in isolation. I always assumed we would get to this point some stage. I am no longer confident that will be as the United Kingdom.

More likely it will only be as a United Kingdom, without Scottish MPs the chances of Starmer becoming PM and shifting to a softer EEA style Brexit are very remote, hard Brexit with a re elected Tories in England and Wales is likely
    You may be too young to remember this, but the Tories have been crushed in England before, and opinions can move dramatically from one election to the next.

England-only 1992 GE:

Conservative 319
    Labour 195

England-only 1997 GE:

Labour 328
    Conservative 165
    That was after 18 years of Tory rule, 2024 will only be after 14 years and Starmer is still more leftwing and less charismatic than Blair and Boris has a more robust culturally conservative coalition than Major did. Even Blair did not win most votes in England in 2005 and Blair is the only Labour leader to win a majority of seats in England since 1966
    Would you say that the seeds for 1997 were setting in a few years before and to me it looks similar to that now on the Tory side? Tory poll lead has disappeared and Johnson is unpopular.

Starmer may be no Blair but he's as popular as Blair was - IPSOS
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I do want him gone but I think your party would benefit in the long run by him going as well, not just me saying that here either.

Boris is by far the most charismatic candidate the Tories have and plenty of voters switched from Labour mainly as he was leader.

Sunak would only win back Remainers by switching to soft Brexit EEA but that means he also loses Leavers back to Farage and the Brexit Party that Boris would keep and if Sunak backed a hard Brexit under Boris after Boris went why would Remainers trust him over Starmer to switch to EEA anyway?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

What makes you think he cares?

We are not sure on here that Boris knows what the rule of law means...
    Or cares.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Is it a 12" truncheon?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    It is Rasmussen but would be 2016 2 if repeated in November, Trump matching his 2016 voteshare and Biden matching Hillary's 2016 voteshare (and Rasmussen to be fair did correctly get Hillary's 2% lead in the popular vote correct in its final 2016 poll)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    So, Mr Churchill, you can take your blackout rules, and Home Guard, and rationing, and stick them somewhere.
    That is a completely false equivocation for one we were in a war where there was significant danger if those rules weren't followed and the rules werent

You must observe the black out and rationing unless someone will make some cash by you not doing so
  • Options

witter.com/Mr_Sam_Stewart/status/1303726716364492805

FPT:

The BBC used this one....

That catches his essence rather well for me. That is the arch bullshitter in mid bullshit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris is by far the most charismatic candidate the Tories have and plenty of voters switched from Labour mainly as he was leader.

Sunak would only win back Remainers by switching to soft Brexit EEA but that means he also loses Leavers back to Farage and the Brexit Party that Boris would keep and if Sunak backed a hard Brexit under Boris after Boris went why would Remainers trust him over Starmer to switch to EEA anyway?
    Any chance of some punctuation occasionally? I had to read that three times and my head now hurts!
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Is that a result that delivers the EC?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Cyclefree said:

No.
  • Options
    Not even close.
  • Options
    As some of you will know, my nephew died earlier this year during the lockdown, by his own hand. His parents were unable to help him because of the restrictions.

As a family we have decided that they will not be left alone to bear their grief, especially at Xmas.

Just saving any marshals or curtain twitchers the bother of having to denounce us. Mind you, round here the police are as rare as wildebeest.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Confusingly, no.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Any chance of some punctuation occasionally? I had to read that three times and my head now hurts!
    I feel punctuation would spoil the essential HYUFD effect.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not even close.
    So considering the QC here is hardly a Brexiteer but is saying exactly what I was saying, from before I saw him say it, please tell me what he has got wrong here?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

As some of you will know, my nephew died earlier this year during the lockdown, by his own hand. His parents were unable to help him because of the restrictions.

As a family we have decided that they will not be left alone to bear their grief, especially at Xmas.

Just saving any marshals or curtain twitchers the bother of having to denounce us. Mind you, round here the police are as rare as wildebeest.

Best wishes for your family.

I despise curtain twitchers: you never know what's going on in someone else's household. If you're concerned about another family offer help and support not judgement.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Cyclefree said:

Yes, Christmas and Birthdays etc they need family.

Lots of depressed patients today resigned and fed up by the news of increasing cases and tightening restrictions despite the beautiful autumn weather here. Its going to be a long lonely winter for a lot of people.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Here you go.

............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;;;;;:::::::::''''''''''''''''''''''""""""""""""""""""???????????

Spread 'em around as you see fit.
  • Options
    Covid-19 vaccine trial participant had serious neurological symptoms, but could be discharged today, AstraZeneca CEO says
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/09/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-hold-patient-report/

Not a placebo subject.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not even close.
    So considering the QC here is hardly a Brexiteer but is saying exactly what I was saying, from before I saw him say it, please tell me what he has got wrong here?
    @Cyclefree ‘s question was whether you’d yet understood what was meant by the phrase ‘rule of law’.
    The tweets are not wrong, but also not relevant to the question.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Ominously, one of the 538 simulations is a 269-269 tie. Who thought an even number was a good idea?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, Christmas and Birthdays etc they need family.

Lots of depressed patients today resigned and fed up by the news of increasing cases and tightening restrictions despite the beautiful autumn weather here. Its going to be a long lonely winter for a lot of people.
    I don't get this all or nothing attitude. Nothing stopping them meeting one half of their family on one day, and another half on another.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Not even close.
    @Cyclefree ‘s question was whether you’d yet understood what was meant by the phrase ‘rule of law’.
    The tweets are not wrong, but also not relevant to the question.
    So changing within the constitution isn't relevant to the rule of law?
  • Options
    Odd argument. Seems to be confusing different definitions of 'freedom'. I'm free to go and stab someone, but just because the law can't physically stop me it doesn't follow that my act of free agency somehow takes some kind of moral precedence. What would the world look like if minsters weren't 'free' - in his sense of the word - to break international law?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is the Jack Kerouac of political punditry.
  • Options

Odd argument. Seems to be confusing different definitions of 'freedom'. I'm free to go and stab someone, but just because the law can't physically stop me it doesn't follow that my act of free agency somehow takes some kind of moral precedence. What would the world look like if minsters weren't 'free' - in his sense of the word - to break international law?
    It would be a very worrying and dangerous place as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Cyclefree said:

Didn't know that. Awful. My sympathies
  • Options
    Is Philip a lawyer now
  • Options
    The rule of 6 is hilarious. "Yes of course you can still go to the pub, just not with more than 5 other people". Because its far safer to be close by someone you don't know than that 6th member of your own family. "Of course you can go to school" and all walk home together across the park. Just don't play football on the way home.
  • Options

The rule of 6 is hilarious. "Yes of course you can still go to the pub, just not with more than 5 other people". Because its far safer to be close by someone you don't know than that 6th member of your own family. "Of course you can go to school" and all walk home together across the park. Just don't play football on the way home.

Why is it hilarious? If transmission is between strangers, reducing the number of strangers you meet surely helps reduce transmission overall?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Drutt said:

I'm resigned to Trump winning on election night but postals making Biden President a few days later.

Then we're headed for an epic shitshow.
    So long as it’s a few days...
    The Deadline That Could Hand Trump the Election
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-biden-electoral-count-act-1887/615994/
    This talk of massive Dem early voting means it is only going to play into Trump's hands..... Millions of votes not resolved by December 14th?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    RobD said:

Ominously, one of the 538 simulations is a 269-269 tie. Who thought an even number was a good idea?

What would actually happen in that situation? I mean, theoretically/constitutionally, rather than absolute chaos as the reality.
  • Options

Is Philip a lawyer now

QTWAIN.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

This is truly horrendous.

As is the Mail’s front page online blaming young people for the new rules.

There is a creepy, sinister authoritarian bent to covidian policy.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

RobD said:

What would actually happen in that situation? I mean, theoretically/constitutionally, rather than absolute chaos as the reality.
    The House decides the presidency, the senate the vice presidency. But they do some type of bloc voting in the house where each state counts equal or something.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Equally stunning is effing Woodward keeping it to himself for months.
    Like his book sales take precedence over the rest of the country....
    And the news just keeps coming. The worst of it still about this guy still isn't out yet.
  • Options

That does sound a bit stupid.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Re: christmas. The thing is that regardless of the overall COVID rules, the Government could easily, if it so chose, make an exception for Christmas and perhaps Boxing day if it so chose and announce it today. Given that most corresponding social activity will be shut down at that time. Few people in pubs/at work/in shops. On public transport. Schools on holiday. Given that the govt is constantly arguing that opening up the country represents trade offs between differing activities. Schools vs work vs pubs vs shops vs... etc

But give people some advance notice so they can make their plans in advance. And stick to it. Give people something to look forward to. After all, the new year is likely to be pretty miserable. What with the constant diet of baked beans and long life bread.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Confusingly, no.
    Trump lost 2 votes last time at that final stage.
  • Options

I'm not sure what alternative you would prefer?

Short of a complete free for all (which can be argued for) a line has to be drawn somewhere. If this is "hilarious" then where would you draw the line?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I don't know what argument Maugham is replying to, but my reaction to his tweets is "So what?" Everything he says is perfectly correct, but it is also perfectly correct if you delete "legislation that breaches international law" and substitute "legislation for the extermination of the Jews."
  • Options
    I think we Six Ells are massively underserved by today’s political class.

Lean Left / Loosely Libertarian / Largely Liberal

Are we really that rare?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Confusingly, no.
    Trump lost 2 votes last time at that final stage.
    Most states have tightened up on faithless elector laws since - plus SCOTUS has backed the legality of faithless elector laws.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    alex_ said:

Re: christmas. The thing is that regardless of the overall COVID rules, the Government could easily, if it so chose, make an exception for Christmas and perhaps Boxing day if it so chose and announce it today. Given that most corresponding social activity will be shut down at that time. Few people in pubs/at work/in shops. On public transport. Schools on holiday. Given that the govt is constantly arguing that opening up the country represents trade offs between differing activities. Schools vs work vs pubs vs shops vs... etc

But give people some advance notice so they can make their plans in advance. And stick to it. Give people something to look forward to. After all, the new year is likely to be pretty miserable. What with the constant diet of baked beans and long life bread.

More likely the way it's going the Government will encourage the big office Christmas party and night out to help the hospitality industry, and then ban the somewhat less lucrative smaller family gatherings in the house. After all, the restaurants and pubs etc. have magic "protocols" in place...
  • Options

But you've nothing to worry about because governments are free, and will always be free, to break international law, in just the same way that I'm 'free' to go and commit murder. Of course, I don't do it for a number of reasons: moral scruples, fear of consequences, social opprobrium etc. International law has parallel reasons for not breaking it.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

You'd then have to make exceptions for Eid x 2, Diwali, Passover, Ed Balls Day...
  • Options

Are we really that rare?

Hen's teeth. You're going to have to choose. ☺
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

You'd then have to make exceptions for Eid x 2, Diwali, Passover, Ed Balls Day...
    I do hope we're out of this by Ed Balls Day 2021.
  • Options
    I thought, and still (marginally) think the odious Trumpton will win.

Yet when I did my map it showed Biden winning 270-268. My thinking was that Biden underperforms in PA but overperforms in AZ due to demographic change.

I posted my map on the previous thread. It’s surely too weird to actually happen??
  • Options

But you've nothing to worry about because governments are free, and will always be free, to break international law, in just the same way that I'm 'free' to go and commit murder. Of course, I don't do it for a number of reasons: moral scruples, fear of consequences, social opprobrium etc. International law has parallel reasons for not breaking it.
    Of course, most of the time it is good to not break it, but some of the time it is. When that is, is a matter of politics.

Sticking by a bad law just because its the law is no more acceptable to me than "only following orders" as to why you killed innocent people.
  • Options
    Can someone please write a 500 page book on why the left have become so authoritarian over the last 20 years or so.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I do hope we're out of this by Ed Balls Day 2021.
    Not putting my shirt on it.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Cyclefree said:

Didn't know that. Awful. My sympathies
    Likewise.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Can someone please write a 500 page book on why the left have become so authoritarian over the last 20 years or so.

Is this a bad faith argument to try and argue away the Government breaking the law?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not even close.
    Because - briefly - Parliamentary sovereignty and the rule of law are not the same thing.

You think, wrongly, that the first is the same as the second and the only thing necessary for the second to exist.

If you really want to understand this topic, I can only advise you to read Tom Bingham’s The Rule of Law, available in paperback for £7.55. Not a long book, very wise and elegantly written and as clear an explanation as you can get without needing to train as a lawyer.

(Or more cheekily you can read this - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/03/11/political-rights-and-wrongs/ - which makes a similar point about Parliament, even as a law-maker, being constrained by and subject to, the rule of law.)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT.

FFS!

And here we are...
    Not sure blackout blinds infringes an essential liberty.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I’ve just had some broth so I should be right as rain asap.
  • Options

Unless one of your mates has the good forethought to sketch out a team sheet and formation on the back of his maths textbook. In which case, it’s an organised game and thus allowed.
  • Options

Are we really that rare?

You could start your own political party, but I think you'd need a catchier name.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Such books have been written already.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Are we really that rare?

Hen's teeth. You're going to have to choose. ☺
    It’s perfectly possible to be all three!
This discussion has been closed.