Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump edges up even more on Betfair and now a 45.2% chance

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2020 in General
politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump edges up even more on Betfair and now a 45.2% chance

The Biden Trump betting edges towards evens pic.twitter.com/rAw2eZSS94

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    First: I like the idea of betting that Trump gets less than 200 EC votes....no sure how much money I will put on it though. For me, his core vote will hold (pretty firm) the challenge will be for the Dems to get out their fairly disparate groups and the undecideds (who didnt come out for Hilary)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    I wouldn't rate Trump's chances at 45%. More like 30%, IMHO.

I think it will be quite tight. Largely because the US is hyper-partisan, and each candidate is pretty well sure of winning at least 45% of the vote, given the way that each side dreads a victory for the other.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Sean_F said:

I think it will be quite tight. Largely because the US is hyper-partisan, and each candidate is pretty well sure of winning at least 45% of the vote, given the way that each side dreads a victory for the other.

That's almost exactly my view. If I can better than 4-6 on Biden (i.e. 60% chance), I'll bet on him, and if I can get better than 2-1 on Trump (33% chance), I'll bet on him.

If it hadn't been for CV19, I think Trump would have cruised to reelection. But CV19 happened. And people, hundreds of thousands of them, have died. And unemployment has gone through the roof.

He can say (rightly) that he's been unlucky.

But luck is all a part of life.

Sorry Donald.
  • Options
    this law and order topic will have possibly lost enough heat by Nov to be no longer relevant, if Covid is still an issue (its proving resilient to say the least) then Biden should be home.....9 weeks is a long time though
  • Options

this law and order topic will have possibly lost enough heat by Nov to be no longer relevant, if Covid is still an issue (its proving resilient to say the least) then Biden should be home.....9 weeks is a long time though

Oh, it could go either way. It could be close, or it could be a landslide. Be wary of anyone peddling certainty here.

But remember one thing. Biden's current polling position is unprecedented. No other candidate since Reagan in '84 has averaged more than 50% in the polling in August.

Now sure, trump can still win, but every day his task becomes a little bit harder.
  • Options
    Arent the Lib Dems about crown a new leader his am...... Good luck (they'll need it)
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    If you were looking to make a video portraying “Biden’s America” wouldn’t it make sense to ensure that everything was sourced from abroad? Given that the three clips not from Barcelona are, presumably, videos of “Trump’s America”?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    45% does seen a little high at this stage, given where we are in the conferences. 35-40% seems about right.

IMO it depends on the civil disturbances, if these continue into October it plays into Trump's hands - as do sports teams walking out of fixtures, especially when Biden supports them.

Also the economy and unemployment, it will depend on whether we have a second wave of virus and lockdown, or a recovering economy with jobs being created by the time of the election.

There's not a lot that the candidates can actually do about either of these issues, although no doubt they'll have lots to say, given that public health and policing is mostly devolved to the States and Cities.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That's almost exactly my view. If I can better than 4-6 on Biden (i.e. 60% chance), I'll bet on him, and if I can get better than 2-1 on Trump (33% chance), I'll bet on him.

If it hadn't been for CV19, I think Trump would have cruised to reelection. But CV19 happened. And people, hundreds of thousands of them, have died. And unemployment has gone through the roof.

But luck is all a part of life....
    As is dealing competently with adverse circumstances, which he very clearly hasn’t.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

45% does seen a little high at this stage, given where we are in the conferences. 35-40% seems about right.

IMO it depends on the civil disturbances, if these continue into October it plays into Trump's hands ....

I’m confident he’ll do his level best to see that they do.
  • Options
    Five and a half thousand new cases in France. Are things getting out of control over there ?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

Oh, it could go either way. It could be close, or it could be a landslide. Be wary of anyone peddling certainty here.

But remember one thing. Biden's current polling position is unprecedented. No other candidate since Reagan in '84 has averaged more than 50% in the polling in August.

Now sure, trump can still win, but every day his task becomes a little bit harder.
    But a Trump victory would be very surprising, surely? IIRC he only defeated Clinton with a combination of very narrow victories in several key states. The Dems go into this election with a much less divisive candidate and with voters having had four years' experience of Trump in office; after everything that's happened, are enough independent voters really going to back the incumbent to get him over the finishing line again?

As suggested above, much of the body of opinion that believes Trump can win in 2020 appears to expect a straight repetition of 2016. I do wonder if that's primarily the result of fatalism/pessimism amongst those fearing such an outcome? We've recent experience of that over here, of course: after the UK came within a hair's breadth of Prime Minister Corbyn in 2017, many of us feared that all the polls were wrong, and that several million wavering Labour voters would go all robot and respond to their homing signals in the polling booth, right up until 10pm on election night when the exit poll came out.

I don't think that a Biden victory is a foregone conclusion, mainly because of voter suppression tactics, but the notion that Trump is a 45% chance is risible. 20% perhaps...?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Things might calm down. But, to paraphrase Teal'c, they may, in fact, calm up.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

rcs1000 said:

But a Trump victory would be very surprising, surely? IIRC he only defeated Clinton with a combination of very narrow victories in several key states. The Dems go into this election with a much less divisive candidate and with voters having had four years' experience of Trump in office; after everything that's happened, are enough independent voters really going to back the incumbent to get him over the finishing line again?

As suggested above, much of the body of opinion that believes Trump can win in 2020 appears to expect a straight repetition of 2016. I do wonder if that's primarily the result of fatalism/pessimism amongst those fearing such an outcome? We've recent experience of that over here, of course: after the UK came within a hair's breadth of Prime Minister Corbyn in 2017, many of us feared that all the polls were wrong, and that several million wavering Labour voters would go all robot and respond to their homing signals in the polling booth, right up until 10pm on election night when the exit poll came out.

I don't think that a Biden victory is a foregone conclusion, mainly because of voter suppression tactics, but the notion that Trump is a 45% chance is risible. 20% perhaps...?
    Define "very surprising"?

Imagine there was a horse race, with six runners. Five of them are 12% shots (15-2), and one is a 40% chance (6-4).

If the favourite lost, that would be surprising, right? Yet the favourite is just a 40% chance. 60% of the time, you'd expect him to lose, yet it wouldn't surprise you if he won.

President Trump is like that today. 30 or 40% chance is not "very surprising". It is "happens a lot, but not half the time". That's where President is.

I'd say "very surprising" is perhaps sub 8%, not 30 to 40%.

(And, by the way, I'm broadly in agreement with you. 20% seems a little low, but 40% seems very high. I'd reckon his chances are around 30%. But that's simply not "very surprising".)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Kind of sums it all up....

Pence, virus task force leader, mingles with largely mask-free audience after convention speech
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/27/pence-speech-rnc-no-masks-403128
    Vice President Mike Pence, the White House’s coronavirus point person, offered some of the most pointed comments of the Republican National Convention on the outbreak, vowing on Wednesday night that the U.S. would develop a successful vaccine before the end of the year.

But just moments after presenting himself as a reassuring authority on the raging virus, the maskless vice president, along with President Donald Trump, walked over to greet the mostly mask-free members of the audience, who crowded close to each other on the grounds of Fort McHenry in Baltimore...

... Pence lamented that the pandemic had forced the postponement of his youngest daughter’s wedding. Then he shouted out his 87-year-old mother who sat, sans mask, among the crowd of around 100.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited August 2020

rcs1000 said:

Did not the 2016 Dem campaign spend an unnecessary amount of time and effort in safe states, such as California? Yes, of course one needs to 'cosset' the faithful a bit, but surely the heavy effort needs to go to those places where ensuring just a few more of your sides wavers actually turn out and vote for you.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IMO it depends on the civil disturbances, if these continue into October it plays into Trump's hands - as do sports teams walking out of fixtures, especially when Biden supports them.

Also the economy and unemployment, it will depend on whether we have a second wave of virus and lockdown, or a recovering economy with jobs being created by the time of the election.

There's not a lot that the candidates can actually do about either of these issues, although no doubt they'll have lots to say, given that public health and policing is mostly devolved to the States and Cities.

Were you in the UK in 2011?

That was the year of the London riots.

I remember the tube not stopping at places because of disturbances.

The riots seemed very close.

CV19 has changed things. Back in 2011, people went into London to work. In 2020 city centers are empty. I'm sure there are riots in Downtown LA. But I see no sign of them. There are no sirens or helicopters. There might be a piece on Fox News, but I see nothing with my own eyes.

So I suspect that the riots will have less impact than people think. Simply most people won't see a single boarded window. If I don't (in sunny 90049), then 99% of the US population won't.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Nigelb said:

Five and a half thousand new cases in France. Are things getting out of control over there ?

From what little I understand of the situation, it appears to be concentrated in hotspots rather than a generalised nationwide outbreak. One reads in the press, for example, that the German Government has issued a travel advisory for Paris and Marseille. I believe that the French Government has also decided to impose the dreaded masks in workplaces?

I have also read that there are much lower levels of working from home in France. Could it simply be the case that the virus is spreading through crowded public transportation in urban areas? The Tube was the prime suspect when London got thwacked hard back in April, after all.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sorry Donald.
    At the moment, I'm in line with @rcs1000 on this and at around the odds he quotes. Both candidates don't represent sufficient value given the state of play and especially given the state of the US at the moment. Last time, I backed Trump at 6/1 on the day which seemed crazy in a 2 horse.

Thanks very much @rcs1000 for your work on the server, much appreciated.

538 did this, not sure if it was posted before. I don't think it tells you much we didn't know before but it is useful to put the trends in each state on a historical timeline to see how things have changed,

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/swing-states-2020-election/
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

rcs1000 said:

Did not the 2016 Dem campaign spend an unnecessary amount of time and effort in safe states, such as California? Yes, of course one needs to 'cosset' the faithful a bit, but surely the heavy effort needs to go to those places where ensuring just a few more of your sides wavers actually turn out and vote for you.
    They don't go to California for votes, they go there for money.

However, I vaguely recall the Hillary campaign spent some money advertising in non-swing states out of fear that she'd win the electoral college but lose the popular vote, and Trump would question her legitimacy...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

CV19 has changed things. Back in 2011, people went into London to work. In 2020 city centers are empty. I'm sure there are riots in Downtown LA. But I see no sign of them. There are no sirens or helicopters. There might be a piece on Fox News, but I see nothing with my own eyes.

So I suspect that the riots will have less impact than people think. Simply most people won't see a single boarded window. If I don't (in sunny 90049), then 99% of the US population won't.
    I was in the UK in 2011, but well away from London where most of the disturbances were happening.

I think perception is what’s important, if people are out of the city centres and tthe media ignore the violenc, then there might not be much perception as to what’s actually going on - so long as the riots stay in city centres, and don’t move toward the leafy residential bits.

Let’s hope the rioting comes to a quick conclusion, before more lives are lost and businesses destroyed. I see that overnight there was a shooting by a 17 year old kid in Wisconsin that left two dead. Not good.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Dems screwed it up badly week. The over egged their attacks on Trump and presented them selves as holier than thou merchants. No one likes a smart arse.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sorry Donald.
    At the moment, I'm in line with @rcs1000 on this and at around the odds he quotes. Both candidates don't represent sufficient value given the state of play and especially given the state of the US at the moment. Last time, I backed Trump at 6/1 on the day which seemed crazy in a 2 horse.

538 did this, not sure if it was posted before. I don't think it tells you much we didn't know before but it is useful to put the trends in each state on a historical timeline to see how things have changed,

That's an interesting piece.

FWIW, I think:

FL will stay Republican, and the whole felon voting thing is a red herring.

Georgia will also stay Republican.

Arizona will go Trump for the Presidency, but Kelly in the Senate. (Because McSally is a dreadful candidate and Kelly is so moderate it makes my teeth bleed.)

Iowa will swing sharply Democratic, but not enough to lose Trump the state. Ms Ernst may - however - find herself on the end of a few spoilt ballots. She probably still holds on, mind.

Maine will see Susan Collins lose out by a smidgen, but Trump will hold on to his single electoral college vote there.

Colorado will be a disaster zone for the Republicans, and the Senate seat will flip.

Minnesota will revert to type and remain Democratic. New Hampshire will be a lot closer, and I think there is a decent outside shot of Trump flipping it.

Pennsylvania is a really hard call. If you put a gun to my head, I think President Trump holds on, but it'll be really close.

Wisconsin, despite recent issues, flips. Likewise Michigan.

Where does that leave us? With a very close election.

The problem for the President is that I'm giving him a lot of close calls (Iowa, Arizona, Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.) He only has to lose one or two of these for the Presidency to end up in Biden's hand.

So, I think something in the range of 60-40 and 70-30 is about right. And I'm betting accordingly.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

rcs1000 said:

Yep, in 2016 Hilary spent time in California trying to raise money, and not in the marginal Midwest states as her team “didn’t want people to think they were ‘in play’ but rather safe for her”. There were three or four states that went 51-49 for Trump. In Michigan there were only 11,000 votes betweeen the candidates, out of five million cast. Pennsylvania and Wisconsin were less than 1% between them too. A couple of hundred thousand votes in the right places could have made the difference - and still could make the difference in this election too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yep, in 2016 Hilary spent time in California trying to raise money, and not in the marginal Midwest states as her team “didn’t want people to think they were ‘in play’ but rather safe for her”. There were three or four states that went 51-49 for Trump. In Michigan there were only 11,000 votes betweeen the candidates, out of five million cast. Pennsylvania and Wisconsin were less than 1% between them too. A couple of hundred thousand votes in the right places could have made the difference - and still could make the difference in this election too.

Obviously there has to be some balance, but equally obviously the Dem campaign in 2016 got it wrong. Didn't get a lot of Tory campaigning round here, in 'safe' Witham and Braintree, last December, for example.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The RCP site has Biden doing worse than Clinton in some key states. Not sure whether that is trustworthy and what it means.

Here’s a snippet from their page...

STATE RCP AVERAGE FOUR YEARS AGO
    Wisconsin (10) Biden +3.5 Clinton +9.0
    Michigan (16) Biden +7.0 Clinton +9.5
    Ohio (18) Biden +2.3 Clinton +4.0
    Pennsylvania (20) Biden +5.5 Clinton +10.0
    Florida (29) Biden +3.7 Clinton +3.7
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I was in the UK in 2011, but well away from London where most of the disturbances were happening.

I think perception is what’s important, if people are out of the city centres and tthe media ignore the violenc, then there might not be much perception as to what’s actually going on - so long as the riots stay in city centres, and don’t move toward the leafy residential bits.

Let’s hope the rioting comes to a quick conclusion, before more lives are lost and businesses destroyed. I see that overnight there was a shooting by a 17 year old kid in Wisconsin that left two dead. Not good.
    There's a police chief saying that if those 2 people hadn't ignored the curfew that they wouldn't have been murdered by that 17 year old kid. Even less good.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sorry Donald.

FWIW, I think:

Arizona will go Trump for the Presidency, but Kelly in the Senate. (Because McSally is a dreadful candidate and Kelly is so moderate it makes my teeth bleed.)

Iowa will swing sharply Democratic, but not enough to lose Trump the state. Ms Ernst may - however - find herself on the end of a few spoilt ballots. She probably still holds on, mind.

Maine will see Susan Collins lose out by a smidgen, but Trump will hold on to his single electoral college vote there.

Colorado will be a disaster zone for the Republicans, and the Senate seat will flip.

Minnesota will revert to type and remain Democratic. New Hampshire will be a lot closer, and I think there is a decent outside shot of Trump flipping it.

Pennsylvania is a really hard call. If you put a gun to my head, I think President Trump holds on, but it'll be really close.

The problem for the President is that I'm giving him a lot of close calls (Iowa, Arizona, Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.) He only has to lose one or two of these for the Presidency to end up in Biden's hand.

So, I think something in the range of 60-40 and 70-30 is about right. And I'm betting accordingly.
    There must be a bunch of US voters who, whatever their political preference, are willing to give incumbents another term; otherwise this wouldn’t almost always happen. Has any polling identified who they are?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

There's a police chief saying that if those 2 people hadn't ignored the curfew that they wouldn't have been murdered by that 17 year old kid. Even less good.

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1298719571528962049
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The RCP site has Biden doing worse than Clinton in some key states. Not sure whether that is trustworthy and what it means.

Let's take the first of those, Wisconsin.

In August, you had:

+15 (4th to the 7th)
    +5 (27th to 30th)
    +3 (25th to 28th)

Add in the beginning of September, and you add in a Clinton +2 and a +7.

In other words, with the exception of one big +15 (at the very beginning of August), you have every poll in the +2 to +7 range. So, 4-5 point.

Now, let's look at 2020.

In August, we have +12, +6, +4, +4, -1, and +5.

So...

(1) There are *many* more polls than 2016.
    (2) Clinton's polls were skewed by one big +15 at the very beginning of August.
    (3) Other than that, they're pretty similar polls

Except.

Pollsters learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

In August, you had:

+15 (4th to the 7th)
    +5 (27th to 30th)
    +3 (25th to 28th)

In other words, with the exception of one big +15 (at the very beginning of August), you have every poll in the +2 to +7 range. So, 4-5 point.

Now, let's look at 2020.

So...

Except.

Do they know why they got it wrong in 2016?
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    A view from somebody that has little interest in US politics but a keen interest in betting (I assumed this was a betting site but it seems plenty on here have zero understanding of odds or %)

4 years ago I wrongly assumed Trump had no chance, it seems most people think the same now. I think there's a chance that the BLM etc will play into his hands, that the Democrats seem to be appeasing them which appalls much of America. Lets call them shy Republicans.

I've got no dog in this fight and its Biden's to lose, but I think Americans will hold their noses and vote Trump in big numbers rather than take a chance on Biden.

And the outcome won't affect my life in any shape or form, just an impartial observation. Looking at the betfair market I'm not alone.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,234
    Jonathan said:

The Dems screwed it up badly week. The over egged their attacks on Trump and presented them selves as holier than thou merchants. No one likes a smart arse.

But that's what they are. No one was stupid enough to use Hilary's "contemptibles" but their disdain for the poorly educated white voter who has a really hard time of it in the US, and indeed here, is palpable.

These people don't want to be lectured on diversity or sexual politics, they want jobs, security, bread on the table and, just maybe, a little bit of respect. Trump engages with them. You can argue all day as to whether or not his policies are actually good for them but he engages. I'm trying to remember the last Democrat that did: Bill Clinton probably.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

In August, you had:

+15 (4th to the 7th)
    +5 (27th to 30th)
    +3 (25th to 28th)

Now, let's look at 2020.

So...

Except.

I'm UK biased. But.

Cons...

Outperformed in 2019
    Underperformed in 2017
    Outperformed in 2015
    Underperformed in 2010
    Outperformed in 2005
    Underperformed in 2001

I think there is a natural tendency to over-correct.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It probably means the people polling in the mid-west fixed their polls so they don't embarrass themselves again by under-counting low-education white people.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Obviously there has to be some balance, but equally obviously the Dem campaign in 2016 got it wrong. Didn't get a lot of Tory campaigning round here, in 'safe' Witham and Braintree, last December, for example.
    It's a delicate balance, where to send your resources while remembering that it's a series of state elections so there's no point campaigning in California (although they probably need to do some shmoosing of big-money donors there, but that's a different team).

Hopefully Team Biden remembers to campaign in the states they actually need to win from Trump to get to 270, and doesn't make the same mistake as Hilary did.
  • Options
    coach said:

A view from somebody that has little interest in US politics but a keen interest in betting (I assumed this was a betting site but it seems plenty on here have zero understanding of odds or %)

4 years ago I wrongly assumed Trump had no chance, it seems most people think the same now. I think there's a chance that the BLM etc will play into his hands, that the Democrats seem to be appeasing them which appalls much of America. Lets call them shy Republicans.

I've got no dog in this fight and its Biden's to lose, but I think Americans will hold their noses and vote Trump in big numbers rather than take a chance on Biden.

And the outcome won't affect my life in any shape or form, just an impartial observation. Looking at the betfair market I'm not alone.

Four years ago I wrote "President Trump's path to victory is narrowing. He has chosen to throw everything at the Midwest, and while that's far from impossible, it's a narrow road he's walking down, with no room for missteps".

Hardly a ringing endorsement, but I got his general direction correct.

But here's the thing:

Hillary's *peak* position in the 538 poll of polls was 46.0%.

Biden is now on 50.7%.

Now, that doesn't mean Biden will win (duh). But I think it means that he is a more than 55% chance to win the Presidency. Only one candidate - other than Biden - has averaged more than 50% in the polls in the August before the election, Reagan in '84.

And he did OK.
  • Options
    coach said:

its Biden's to lose, but I think Americans will hold their noses and vote Trump in big numbers rather than take a chance on Biden.

I'm confident you'll be proved right about either the first half of that sentence or the second...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

In August, you had:

+15 (4th to the 7th)
    +5 (27th to 30th)
    +3 (25th to 28th)

Now, let's look at 2020.

So...

Except.

The 538 analysis linked to dowthread about how these key states have moved over time is really informative but I agree that pollsters tend to overcompensate. Their models are out because certain groups vote more or less than expected at one election and then they assume that is going to happen again at the next one.

Which it might, or might not. Will Boris get his red wallers sufficiently motivated the next time? The election might turn on it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

rcs1000 said:

Those were fund raising trips. Just like Trump went to texas a lot.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

But that's what they are. No one was stupid enough to use Hilary's "contemptibles" but their disdain for the poorly educated white voter who has a really hard time of it in the US, and indeed here, is palpable.

These people don't want to be lectured on diversity or sexual politics, they want jobs, security, bread on the table and, just maybe, a little bit of respect. Trump engages with them. You can argue all day as to whether or not his policies are actually good for them but he engages. I'm trying to remember the last Democrat that did: Bill Clinton probably.
    I get Trump's emotional appeal.

But the economic growth in the Midwest has lagged the rest of the US markedly in the last four years. And that's his problem in a nutshell.

Even before CV19 hit hard, Michigan was registering -6.8% economic growth in Q1.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

In August, you had:

+15 (4th to the 7th)
    +5 (27th to 30th)
    +3 (25th to 28th)

Now, let's look at 2020.

So...

Except.

I'm UK biased. But.

Cons...

Outperformed in 2019
    Underperformed in 2017
    Outperformed in 2015
    Underperformed in 2010
    Outperformed in 2005
    Underperformed in 2001

Just looking at the polling pages on Wikipedia, the pollsters seem to get the Con share right most of the time (2015 the biggest miss), it's Lab that's the tricky one.

As ever, turnout is the hardest thing to predict.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199

rcs1000 said:

The key difference between the GE2019/GE2017 comparison to POTUS2020/POTUS2016 is that Trump won the first of those elections and so goes into the second as the incumbent.

That has several consequences, political, psychological and practical, which are to his advantage.

Also, for all his many failings, Corbyn respected the democratic process and the outcome of the vote. Trump is willing to steal the election. How confident are you that the vote will be free and fair?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

In August, you had:

+15 (4th to the 7th)
    +5 (27th to 30th)
    +3 (25th to 28th)

Now, let's look at 2020.

So...

Except.

I'm UK biased. But.

Cons...

Outperformed in 2019
    Underperformed in 2017
    Outperformed in 2015
    Underperformed in 2010
    Outperformed in 2005
    Underperformed in 2001

Just looking at the polling pages on Wikipedia, the pollsters seem to get the Con share right most of the time (2015 the biggest miss), it's Lab that's the tricky one.

As ever, turnout is the hardest thing to predict.
    You are right. If you look at Lab-Con spread it's more obvious.

And that's why I'm cautious about pollsters making the same mistake twice.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

But the economic growth in the Midwest has lagged the rest of the US markedly in the last four years. And that's his problem in a nutshell.

Even before CV19 hit hard, Michigan was registering -6.8% economic growth in Q1.
    As you pointed out in 2016 Trump threw everything at the mid west and he will do so again. Its the only way to victory and it involves throwing more than his fair share of 6s (again). But I do think his MAGA, trade wars, distrust of the liberal media etc will still get a hearing there, even if it has not delivered to the extent that they hoped.

I think (hope) he will lose but I agree with the markets more than the polling: there are ways for Trump to win this.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,245
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sorry Donald.

FWIW, I think:

Sounds more or less right, although maybe the most likely result is a little more comfortable for Biden (flips Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin AND Florida and maybe Arizona, he could even afford to lose a couple of Clinton 2016 states in that scenario)

If Trump holds Florida and Pennsylvania it gets hard for Biden. He would have to eg flip Wisconsin and Michigan and Arizona and Nebraska 2nd district to get 270. Not totally implausible but a long shot.

Similarly if Biden gains both Florida and Pennsylvania, it's pretty tough to find a way for Trump. He would have to eg hold on to all of his 2016 states, including Michigan and Wisconsin, and also flip Minnesota and either Nevada or New Hampshire.

If they get one each of PA and FL, then either could easily win. Although you could argue that Biden is favourite in either case. If he wins Florida he only has to flip one more state (and hold onto 2016 Clintons), which seems probable. If he wins Pennsylvania then he probably also wins Michigan and Wisconsin.
  • Options
    coach said:

He's on 45% who are these people who think he has no chance?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

coach said:

Four years ago I wrote "President Trump's path to victory is narrowing. He has chosen to throw everything at the Midwest, and while that's far from impossible, it's a narrow road he's walking down, with no room for missteps".

But here's the thing:

Biden is now on 50.7%.

Now, that doesn't mean Biden will win (duh). But I think it means that he is a more than 55% chance to win the Presidency. Only one candidate - other than Biden - has averaged more than 50% in the polls in the August before the election, Reagan in '84.

And he did OK.
    FWIW I would bet against Trump at the current BF odds.

But I wonder if those odds are primarily a reflection people thinking about 2016. Maybe people think that the incumbent usually wins if the economy is growing and unemployment is falling, and they are taking a punt on the economy growing and unemployment falling by November. Something which the 538 forecast might not be taking enough account of (or it isn't designed to make economic forecasts).

I'm hopeful that enough people have already made up their minds and will vote Trump out regardless.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    Scott_xP said:
    That's quite partisan by Biden.

It'd be like Starmer retweeting Lewis Hamilton walking out on an F1 race here.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

coach said:

But here's the thing:

Biden is now on 50.7%.

And he did OK.

But I wonder if those odds are primarily a reflection people thinking about 2016. Maybe people think that the incumbent usually wins if the economy is growing and unemployment is falling, and they are taking a punt on the economy growing and unemployment falling by November. Something which the 538 forecast might not be taking enough account of (or it isn't designed to make economic forecasts).

I'm hopeful that enough people have already made up their minds and will vote Trump out regardless.
    I'm thinking that what might count against Trump more than anything is that the people might be bored of him. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part - I'd like to think we'd get a bit less US news over here when he's gone - but hopefully there are some people who voted for him in 2016 who think that they've made their point and can elect someone else this time.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

Yup, I think I'm on the extreme Biden-bull end of the spectrum here, I think Trump's chances are in the low 20%s, I don't think I've seen anyone saying it's a dead cert. Also not really sure who here the "zero understanding of odds" is supposed to be subtweeting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

So far, I can't see Biden doing any of that.

He just thinks that being a nice guy and not dealing the agro Clinton did is enough for him to walk into the presidency.

It isn't.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited August 2020

Also, for all his many failings, Corbyn respected the democratic process and the outcome of the vote. Trump is willing to steal the election. How confident are you that the vote will be free and fair?

That's my main reservation about betting on the race. I can see some intensive voter suppression activity happening - unattributable social media sources warning ethnic minority voters that you're risking your life if you go and vote - virus, riots, gunmen, you name it, is it worth it just to cast one vote out of 100 million, eh, why not stay home where you're safe? The idea that Trump is too scrupulous to tolerate such efforts is just hilarious.

Which raises the question of whether Democrats should be unscrupulous too. Exactly the same propaganda could suppress Republican votes if targeted correctly. But it would reduce American politics to a battle between crooked protection rackets. Should they have a darkside operation too, or not?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Scott_xP said:

I guess calling white people racist is one step up from calling them deplorable?

Potentially dangerous ground if they're not careful. Biden's already said that "you ain't black" if you don't vote Democrat, as several black Republicans have pointed out this week.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure this is about economics anymore.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

coach said:

But here's the thing:

Biden is now on 50.7%.

And he did OK.

I think one of the implicit assumptions in Trump's betting odds is that there is a good chance that Biden may f*ck it up at some point, either with a remark that is seized on to question his mental competence or a comment like his "you ain't black" which has the potential to be similar to Hillary's contemptibles comment. With Trump, on the other hand, it is hard to think of anything he can say outlandish enough to shock his core supporters or, indeed, independents.

From a personal standpoint, I am waiting until much closer to the election to put a bet on.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The key difference between the GE2019/GE2017 comparison to POTUS2020/POTUS2016 is that Trump won the first of those elections and so goes into the second as the incumbent.

That has several consequences, political, psychological and practical, which are to his advantage.

Both parties bend the rules - and, in some cases, go into really shady practices - to boost their chances. Look at the whole ballot harvesting issue in California.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

I guess calling white people racist is one step up from calling them deplorable?

Potentially dangerous ground if they're not careful.
    He's trying to keep his base well-pumped up to the nines in the hope it carries him over the line nationwide.

I don't think that's enough. It's no good stacking up votes where it doesn't matter. And, although he's not as repellent as Hillary, I'm not sensing people are much more enthusiastic about him as opposed to her.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Sorry Donald.

FWIW, I think:

There must be a bunch of US voters who, whatever their political preference, are willing to give incumbents another term; otherwise this wouldn’t almost always happen. Has any polling identified who they are?
    In those sage words of Dubya

"You can fool some of the people all of the time. And those are the ones you want to concentrate on...."
  • Options
    Morning all and thanks to Robert and others for the server upgrade.

Nice piece of analysis from Stodge yesterday and the polling cross-tabs. Executive summary was hard to disagree with - Biden is piling up votes in areas that don't matter and the race is very close in States that do. A close election must be expected therefore and Trump could well repeat his trick of four years ago and win by means of a very efficient vote spread.

Couldn't agree more that Dems make a huge mistake each time they appear to be patronising or condescending to Trump's core supporters. Nothing fires them up more.
  • Options
    Many thanks to @IanB2 for the tips last night.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

It's not to many. If it is about economics, I suspect it is more about who gives us the best chance to get out of the mess.
  • Options

Nice piece of analysis from Stodge yesterday and the polling cross-tabs. Executive summary was hard to disagree with - Biden is piling up votes in areas that don't matter and the race is very close in States that do. A close election must be expected therefore and Trump could well repeat his trick of four years ago and win by means of a very efficient vote spread.

Couldn't agree more that Dems make a huge mistake each time they appear to be patronising or condescending to Trump's core supporters. Nothing fires them up more.

I can imagine a voter thinking that they'd quite like to see the back of Trump, but perhaps also not wanting to see the Dems celebrating his defeat.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

It's not to many. If it is about economics, I suspect it is more about who gives us the best chance to get out of the mess.
    It depends I think on what life looks like in October. If the virus has mostly gone away and companies are hiring, that plays in Trump's favour, whereas if there's still high unemployment and lockdowns that plays in Biden's favour.

In such a large country, both of these may be true in different places at the time of the election.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

That's my main reservation about betting on the race. I can see some intensive voter suppression activity happening - unattributable social media sources warning ethnic minority voters that you're risking your life if you go and vote - virus, riots, gunmen, you name it, is it worth it just to cast one vote out of 100 million, eh, why not stay home where you're safe? The idea that Trump is too scrupulous to tolerate such efforts is just hilarious.
    This gets back to the eternal dilemma about Trump where it's impossible to tell what's audacious unscrupulous strategic cunning and what's a confused old man reacting to whatever he sees on the telly.

I think you can just as easily make the argument that Trump has catastrophically crippled the GOP turnout operation.

He's created a wedge where Dems support postal voting and think they need to get their vote in as early as possible to avoid it being dumped in a lake by an unscrupulous Postmaster General, and the GOP think they have to vote on the day. Not only is this great for turnout operations (you'd like to bank lots of postal votes early, right?), GOP voters are old, and there's a pandemic which, much as Trump might try to tell them not to worry about, they're mostly smart enough to know that they *should* worry about.

The unlucky GOP campaigners on the ground are now having to resort to telling people that although *postal* voting is terrible and an affront to democracy, *absentee* voting is absolutely fine, and your patriotic duty.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I can imagine a voter thinking that they'd quite like to see the back of Trump, but perhaps also not wanting to see the Dems celebrating his defeat.
    That's a good point. There's been noises from some Dems that they basically want to make Trump's life and those of his extended family a personal Hell when he's defeated, with constant inquiries into his affairs rather than looking forward. If those noises get louder it could backfire on the Dems.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

This gets back to the eternal dilemma about Trump where it's impossible to tell what's audacious unscrupulous strategic cunning and what's a confused old man reacting to whatever he sees on the telly.

I think you can just as easily make the argument that Trump has catastrophically crippled the GOP turnout operation.

He's created a wedge where Dems support postal voting and think they need to get their vote in as early as possible to avoid it being dumped in a lake by an unscrupulous Postmaster General, and the GOP think they have to vote on the day. Not only is this great for turnout operations (you'd like to bank lots of postal votes early, right?), GOP voters are old, and there's a pandemic which, much as Trump might try to tell them not to worry about, they're mostly smart enough to know that they *should* worry about.

The unlucky GOP campaigners on the ground are now having to resort to telling people that although *postal* voting is terrible and an affront to democracy, *absentee* voting is absolutely fine, and your patriotic duty.
    Strikes me there are so many unknowns of this nature in this election that both candidates should be on equal chance of a win.

God alone knows what will happen on the night, never mind the following couple of weeks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Sandpit said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

It depends I think on what life looks like in October. If the virus has mostly gone away and companies are hiring, that plays in Trump's favour, whereas if there's still high unemployment and lockdowns that plays in Biden's favour.

In such a large country, both of these may be true in different places at the time of the election.
    More unknowns.

I am green on Biden to the tune of a couple of very good nights out, but that's partly because I can't stomach putting money anywhere near Trump's name.

I am pessimistic enough at the moment to be expecting to have a loss by end of November.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

Those I've read on here, can't remember their names.

Its why bookies make money out of football betting, supporters back who they want to win regardless of the odds.

As I've said, I've no interest in who wins beyond a betting angle
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

That's a good point. There's been noises from some Dems that they basically want to make Trump's life and those of his extended family a personal Hell when he's defeated, with constant inquiries into his affairs rather than looking forward. If those noises get louder it could backfire on the Dems.
    That's no reason for exempting Trump and his family from criminal charges.
  • Options

Strikes me there are so many unknowns of this nature in this election that both candidates should be on equal chance of a win.

God alone knows what will happen on the night, never mind the following couple of weeks.
    It's almost certain that, unless one candidate gets 300 EC votes or more, there's going to be endless challenges to the result, and we end up in the Supreme Court as in 2000.

It's not helped by the fact that most states find it impossible to count votes at anything like acceptable speed, results will be trickling in for a couple of weeks.

Right, work to do. Laters PB.
  • Options

Alistair said:

coach said:

Yup, I think I'm on the extreme Biden-bull end of the spectrum here, I think Trump's chances are in the low 20%s, I don't think I've seen anyone saying it's a dead cert. Also not really sure who here the "zero understanding of odds" is supposed to be subtweeting.
    If you're a punter who calculates Trump's chances as in the low 20% you have the punting/trading opportunity of a lifetime. In 2 horse races they just don't occur. You should be laying him for everything you have and trading out on election day.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,593
    coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

Its why bookies make money out of football betting, supporters back who they want to win regardless of the odds.

I don't think Trump has no chance, as a lot can happen in 2 months, but at present it looks like a decisive Biden victory. I reckon Trump won't break 200 EV and have bet accordingly, but only the price of dinner.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

coach said:

But here's the thing:

Biden is now on 50.7%.

And he did OK.

I think one of the implicit assumptions in Trump's betting odds is that there is a good chance that Biden may f*ck it up at some point, either with a remark that is seized on to question his mental competence or a comment like his "you ain't black" which has the potential to be similar to Hillary's contemptibles comment. With Trump, on the other hand, it is hard to think of anything he can say outlandish enough to shock his core supporters or, indeed, independents.

From a personal standpoint, I am waiting until much closer to the election to put a bet on.
    Also agree with that - the campaign probably has more downside for Biden than for Trump. If you haven't noticed by now what a gangster Trump is you never will. Although I think occasionally Trump does manage to come up with something that does hurt his support - eg the remarks about injecting disinfectant probably weren't a vote-winner.

But I think it also cuts both ways. There are lots of people who aren't going to be put off voting for Trump no matter what fresh scandals emerge about him or his family or the criminals he keeps managing to accidentally appoint to his administration ("Never met the guy! Hardly know him!"). But there are also lots of people who aren't going to be put off voting against Trump, no matter how many gaffes Biden manages to fit in between now and the election.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    The thing so far that’s stopping me betting on this race is what Mike alluded to yesterday. Reluctance to bet on the Democrat candidate rather than the Democrat Party. That’s such an unusual situation and there is an unhealthy arb between the two things on betfair.

Say something did happen between now and November that meant Next President - Biden and Next President - Democrat were not the same thing... who here would dare to predict how it would truly play out?

Ps
    New server is awesome
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Well done to @rcs1000 for fixing the server (all in his own free time) - much appreciated squire.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

I don't think Trump has no chance, as a lot can happen in 2 months, but at present it looks like a decisive Biden victory. I reckon Trump won't break 200 EV and have bet accordingly, but only the price of dinner.
    There is a tendency, among both commentators and punters, to see a contest even when it's a foregone conclusion.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

It's a challenge for the left these days, and has been for at least the last 20 years. Most of us intellectual lefties got into politics because we felt that poverty was horrible and we should have policies that helped people on low incomes turn their lives around even if it means people like us paying more. (Put aside for a moment the discussion of which policies - housing, education, benefits, health - do really help.) But in Broxtowe it was simply a fact that if we focused on canvassing the areas of greatest deprivation, we would still see low turnout there, whereas if we went for the areas with lots of teachers, nurses, etc. we would get a rich harvest (and if we didn't, they'd drift to the LibDems).

Fine, that's just practical tactics. But it's a short step from that to favouring policies that help middle-class families like those teachers and nurses, and forget about families struggling on a sink estate who probably won't vote, especially as they're a shrinking share of the electorate. And yet, we're still perfectly clear that we want to give priority to the latter as they need help more urgently, and if we forget them we've actually sold our souls and the whole reason for bothering.

The converse right-wing problem is that if they want to reap a rich harvest of working-class voters attracted by populism, they risk losing the sober traditional Tories who just want a steady ship. My mother was a Tory to her bones (unless I happened to be the candidate), but she despised people like Trump and wouldn't have voted for him in a million years.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's almost certain that, unless one candidate gets 300 EC votes or more, there's going to be endless challenges to the result, and we end up in the Supreme Court as in 2000.

It's not helped by the fact that most states find it impossible to count votes at anything like acceptable speed, results will be trickling in for a couple of weeks.

The point was made the other day that having the vote for President on the same ballot paper as every other office being elected on the same day, down to county dog-catcher, makes counting very difficult. One helpful thing the Americans could do for democracy world-wide is have a good hard look at their own system rather than telling everyone else how good it is.
    It isn't.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

What like Trump did to Clinton you mean?
  • Options
    Off topic, this is quite some cultural change.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1298888663854723073?s=19
  • Options
    edited August 2020

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

It's a challenge for the left these days, and has been for at least the last 20 years. Most of us intellectual lefties got into politics because we felt that poverty was horrible and we should have policies that helped people on low incomes turn their lives around even if it means people like us paying more. (Put aside for a moment the discussion of which policies - housing, education, benefits, health - do really help.) But in Broxtowe it was simply a fact that if we focused on canvassing the areas of greatest deprivation, we would still see low turnout there, whereas if we went for the areas with lots of teachers, nurses, etc. we would get a rich harvest (and if we didn't, they'd drift to the LibDems).

Fine, that's just practical tactics. But it's a short step from that to favouring policies that help middle-class families like those teachers and nurses, and forget about families struggling on a sink estate who probably won't vote, especially as they're a shrinking share of the electorate. And yet, we're still perfectly clear that we want to give priority to the latter as they need help more urgently, and if we forget them we've actually sold our souls and the whole reason for bothering.

The converse right-wing problem is that if they want to reap a rich harvest of working-class voters attracted by populism, they risk losing the sober traditional Tories who just want a steady ship. My mother was a Tory to her bones (unless I happened to be the candidate), but she despised people like Trump and wouldn't have voted for him in a million years.
    That seems a convoluted way to make the argument. Isn't it more fundamentally that both your and our members and activists, and hence those who both decide things within the party and who become elected representatives, are almost all concerned middle classes types and rarely from what you term the sink estates? Within Labour even the old route from union to parliament (cf Alan Johnson, and many more in the 70s and 80s) appears rare nowadays.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    5 pints last night and I made the 9am meeting!
  • Options
    I have always thought Trump would win because he controls the means to make it happen. Voter suppression will be off the scale and there are enough Republican judges in the right places to ensure that it is successful. Where that leaves the US as a democracy and even as a viable country is another matter altogether. Trump and his supporters care very little about either, though.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The point was made the other day that having the vote for President on the same ballot paper as every other office being elected on the same day, down to county dog-catcher, makes counting very difficult. One helpful thing the Americans could do for democracy world-wide is have a good hard look at their own system rather than telling everyone else how good it is.
    It isn't.
    Yes the trickery around voter suppeession, gerrymandering, and simply the delay in reporting in America is pretty embarrasing.

In particular, the declaring of states before the votes are completely counted and certified seems daft to me.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

If I understand correctly the German 'traditional right' the DNVP, thought it could 'control' Hitlet and the Nazis and so helped them into power.
    Riding a tiger is a risky enterprise.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Impressions from tracking the ONS Arcgis England-only daily case map over the past 3 weeks:

- The Areas of concern and intervention are working, but better in smaller towns than in the biggest cities. Thus, R last week in West Yorkshire restricted area was 0.84 (26% suppression in a week), E. Lancs and Newark look similar, but in Manchester and Leicester R is much closer to 1 and suppression of the case rate is much slower.
    - It seems we are currently holding the fort or suppressing in similar fashion across the north: low incidences in Liverpool, Newcastle and moderate incidence in Birmingham are holding steady (in the latter two cases after an increase a couple a weeks ago), as are Leeds and Wakefield, whilst Middleborough and South Yorkshire have suppressed strongly.
    - Northampton is not out of the woods but did an excellent initial job containing the sandwich factory outbreak (R from the initial intervention looks to have been around 0.7 for the last 2 weeks).
    - Overall in hotspots, R is decently below 1, probably below 0.9 and this drove R across the UK below 1 last week.
    - But, there are a lot of places with low incidence where that incidence is creeping up, and the danger is that we replace every current hotspot with 2 more, and lose control again in the cities where we're barely suppressing.
    - Incidence is creeping up mostly in the south. London is just about steady, but many towns between London, Bristol, Birmingham and Peterborough look like emerging warmspots, particularly the Thames Valley. Maidenhead is a definite hotspot (Slough, with lower incidence, is already on the watchlist), Oxford could soon join, and Bristol looks as likely as any place for a September increase).
    - The tip of balance from lockdown suppression to emerging warmspots (plus Scotland, which I'm glossing over given I'm discussing ONS data), means R is now back up around 1.08 UK wide.

- My previous E. Mids town prediction looks reasonably accurate - Newark, Retford and Melton Mowbray all saw hot/warmspots and Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby are still there. Spread further east, into Lincoln and Cambridge, has been snuffed out so far, and the focus swings south for the moment. They remain vulnerable, whilst Nottingham/Derby seems very vulnerable to a bigger outbreak (low previous incidence means R might be naturally 0.1-0.2 higher than a similar location with larger prior outbreaks which, when many places are bobbling around 1, can be the difference).
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Could the betting be moved by republican canvassers or their links who are seeing something very different on the ground to what the polls are showing?

We saw that article on here reporting they are confident.

Plus Biden's if you ain;t a democrat you aint black comment. Could there be a 'black wall'; event here similar to the 'red wall' event in the UK, where the black vote is a no show for Biden or even drifts to Trump?

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Foxy said:

Off topic, this is quite some cultural change.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1298888663854723073?s=19

Why wouldn;t they? There are number of homosexual right wing commentators and campaigners.
  • Options
    Here is my prediction.

Except in the case of a total Biden blowout there will be HUUuUUUUUUge trading oppertunities on election night.

Especially focused around Pensylvania and Michigan.

Because Trump still ended up winning those states people have forgotten just how many Clinton votes turned up after election night. In Pensylvania the gap was 6 figures but that closed to 5 figures once all the votes were counted. Same in Michigan.

It is incredibly frustrating that there is not graph of how the vote totals changed over time that I can find.

These slow vote counts will throw people off. Who can forget that you could still back Clinton to win the popular vote and New Hampshire the day after election?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Good post. I agree with what you say about right wingers too. We see that daily on here from very traditional Conservatives who simply have no time for Boris, mainly because of Brexit but also because of his fiscal profligacy and questionable personal morals.

But the Labour party has the biggest problem, it is completely dominated by the middle classes, the public sector and the educated. Inevitably its interests reflect their concerns rather than the people it was actually supposed to be for. When the Tories neglected them too it maybe didn't matter so much but Boris has reached out to them and Labour have found re-engaging with them difficult.
  • Options

Could the betting be moved by republican canvassers or their links who are seeing something very different on the ground to what the polls are showing?

We saw that article on here reporting they are confident.

Plus Biden's if you ain;t a democrat you aint black comment. Could there be a 'black wall'; event here similar to the 'red wall' event in the UK, where the black vote is a no show for Biden or even drifts to Trump?

There's certainly a number of black Republicans making themselves heard at the moment - Kim Klacik in Baltimore and Billy Prempeh in New Jersey to give two examples, both standing for Congress.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

If I understand correctly the German 'traditional right' the DNVP, thought it could 'control' Hitlet and the Nazis and so helped them into power.
    Riding a tiger is a risky enterprise.
    Is a Hitlet, like a piglet, a small Hitler?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

That seems a convoluted way to make the argument. Isn't it more fundamentally that both your and our members and activists, and hence those who both decide things within the party and who become elected representatives, are almost all concerned middle classes types and rarely from what you term the sink estates? Within Labour even the old route from union to parliament (cf Alan Johnson, and many more in the 70s and 80s) appears rare nowadays.
    I think the post 2015 intake of Labour MPs does include fewer SPADs and more true diversity.

The rise of Angela Rayner (who Starmer should make better use of) to Deputy Leader is a good example. Her political antennae are pretty good, and she injects a bit of passion.

I agree with Nick though, if people don't vote, then parties will ignore them. Labour also speaks too much of those in the bottom 10%, while ignoring those only marginally better off.

Perhaps Labour's biggest problem though is the collapse of private sector and manufacturing unions. If the only unions with a voice are NHS, Civil Service, Council workers and teachers then that is too small of base.

Employment has changed, and Labour needs to look more at the employment issues of the working poor. There is a place for ZHC and portfolio gig working, but for corporations to use it as a way around employment law should clearly be unacceptable.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

5 pints last night and I made the 9am meeting!

2.3 (ave pint) x 5 = 11.5 units. You metabolise approximately 1 unit an hour so you can compute how many units were still in your system. Probably too many to drive. The joys of WFH.
This discussion has been closed.