Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Can we cut out the judging of those who are betting on Trump please or who don’t necessarily think he’s the antichrist?

This is a betting site, not an echo chamber.

We in the UK are generally rather poor at understanding American politics.

The last thing I want is valuable information and insight disappearing from this forum because those who are backing Trump are intimidated into silence, and decide it’s just not worth the bother.

If that does happen, and I lose money as a consequence, I will be billing the culprits the difference.

No we cannot. Trump is a truly disgusting person and those who actively cheer on his race baiting and his sullying of American democracy itself deserve all the contempt they get.

It has nothing to do with betting. There’s a very good chance indeed that Trump will win again, but that’s a separate discussion.
    It's the same discussion. I've begun hedging my Biden for POTUS position and part of why is because his race baiting, democracy sullying appeals to some Americans who live in key swing states. Understand that is important to my betting strategy and if people who post here have insight into the mindset then I want to hear from them. PB doesn't have cancel culture, it's one of the few places that doesn't, any move to start one should be resisted.
    Agreed. Trumpsters - those who want him to win for political not betting reasons - have a right to post their views on here and they should because it's important to hear them. Likewise people who are bemused by the above or are angered or have contempt for it have a right to express that. Which is where we are, I think. I'm not seeing a big problem.
    There's a problem because all you have is insults. You have few arguments. Blacks and hispanics enjoyed record employment levels under Trump before COVID hit. That a number. Its a statistic. Its a fact.

Its also a fact that as Kim Klasic pointed out, black neighbourhoods have nightmare levels of crime and social problems after decades of democratic government.

Its no good screaming racist! at these facts.
  • Options
    felix said:

nichomar said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

What's with asking a foreigner to lead our trade negotiations? Eh?

I think if you put most Brexiteers on a polygraph and asked them if they would prefer a white English speaking foreigner over a black British person we know what the results would be.
    A question asking you who each of these people were?
    As a polygraph is binary it would need to be " Would you prefer a white English speaking foreigner (eg Australian, New Zealander or American) in a position of responsibility to a black Briton in such a position? Yes or no" then look at the answers for honesty. Most of the honest answers would be where they brazenly said "yes", which I would expect to be the majority reply, particularly if it was done confidentially.
    You would need to specify who these two people were or it would be impossible to answer.
    Of course not. It is a question based on skin colour and national identity. A binary preference question. A black face who is British or a white one that is not.
    Which is why I have doubts Sunak would get passed the members in a leadership ballot.
    The tories elected two woman leaders before Labour have chosen one. Two Asian chancellors and a home secretary - how many from Labour?
    I expect Sunak to walk it if a vacancy occurs
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Can we cut out the judging of those who are betting on Trump please or who don’t necessarily think he’s the antichrist?

The last thing I want is valuable information and insight disappearing from this forum because those who are backing Trump are intimidated into silence, and decide it’s just not worth the bother.

If that does happen, and I lose money as a consequence, I will be billing the culprits the difference.

Indeed, I am not backing Trump but I do still think he could win and we know how much Plato was mocked on here in 2016 when behind Trump but she was correct.

I know a handful here like MrEd and Ave It are backing Trump and are entitled to their views as much as any other poster as long as they are civil
    She did not predict a trump win.
    I for one certainly want to hear good reasons why Trump may win etc. As said, it is a betting site.

I'm sure you would accept that there plenty of crap ones being touted as well.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited August 2020

Polling query - someone here commented how odd it was that some US polling institutes are openly aligned with one party. I agree, but for betting purposes it would be nice to know what it means in practice?

- That the company may do more polls than it publishes and only publish the ones it likes?
    - That it selects voters in a less than random way?
    - That it asks slanted questions?

If it merely means that they also do polls for the party they're close to, that's hardly worth mentioning - YouGov in Britain will no doubt poll for anyone respectable who is willing to pay for it.

In general, US polls have inadequate sample sizes and I don't think they have an equivalent of the British Polling Institute to require certain standards. I doubt if they research each state's demography thoroughly to ensure a balanced sample. But with the exception of Rasmussen they don't seem especially erratic or out of line with each other beyond the MOE arising from small samples.

Basically it comes to a mixture of all that and the fact they don't have an American Polling Council.

So for some pollsters we never get to see all the tables or all the questions they asked.

It is possible for an American pollster to ask

Q1: Joe Biden is a sleazy creep who touches up any female near him, do you agree or disagree?

Q2: Who will you vote for in November's Presidential election, Trump, Biden, or someone else?

Now Q1 has probably tainted the sample but pollster only has to release the results of Q2.

Now that's an extreme example.

The other factor is turnout is much lower in the US than here, but like here the respondents say they are much more likely to turnout that they do in reality, so some pollsters apply interesting turnout weightings.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    edited August 2020
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

So, we think people will vote Trump to protect them from civil disorder that has escalated and has been escalated on his watch?

Obama made the point in a recent interview about how the US President has limited powers when it comes to many things, including what happens in the streets. So how does Obama get a free pass, yet it is all Trump's fault?
    Is Obama running again? Can't believe I missed that.
    Of the c.150m eligible Americans, he’s one of only three who are explicitly barred from running.
    There are four in the category you're thinking about actually:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

Ofc everyone under 35 is barred too.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:

nichomar said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

I think if you put most Brexiteers on a polygraph and asked them if they would prefer a white English speaking foreigner over a black British person we know what the results would be.
    As a polygraph is binary it would need to be " Would you prefer a white English speaking foreigner (eg Australian, New Zealander or American) in a position of responsibility to a black Briton in such a position? Yes or no" then look at the answers for honesty. Most of the honest answers would be where they brazenly said "yes", which I would expect to be the majority reply, particularly if it was done confidentially.
    You would need to specify who these two people were or it would be impossible to answer.
    Of course not. It is a question based on skin colour and national identity. A binary preference question. A black face who is British or a white one that is not.
    Which is why I have doubts Sunak would get passed the members in a leadership ballot.
    The tories elected two woman leaders before Labour have chosen one. Two Asian chancellors and a home secretary - how many from Labour?
    They didn’t elect the cabinet positions. Anyway we made national news today with our 21 case outbreak having been relatively untouched until now. Seems to have emptied the beeches somewhat. Based in a seafront restaurant and sports facility.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,933
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

nichomar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

So, we think people will vote Trump to protect them from civil disorder that has escalated and has been escalated on his watch?

Obama made the point in a recent interview about how the US President has limited powers when it comes to many things, including what happens in the streets. So how does Obama get a free pass, yet it is all Trump's fault?
    Of the c.150m eligible Americans, he’s one of only three who are explicitly barred from running.
    It’s four or has carter died?
    Carter only served one term, he's still eligible to stand again to be President. He is still alive at 95. Bush Jr, Clinton and Obama served two terms and are barred from standing.
    Indeed, Stephen Colbert even produced a 'Carter 2020' t shirt when interviewing him but Carter said he was too old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQR5G3kvfNQ
    Wow, I missed that at the time. Astonishing video and an amazing man, miles above either candidate this year despite his age.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

Carter's not barred. He only did one term.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Polling query - someone here commented how odd it was that some US polling institutes are openly aligned with one party. I agree, but for betting purposes it would be nice to know what it means in practice?

- That the company may do more polls than it publishes and only publish the ones it likes?
    - That it selects voters in a less than random way?
    - That it asks slanted questions?

If it merely means that they also do polls for the party they're close to, that's hardly worth mentioning - YouGov in Britain will no doubt poll for anyone respectable who is willing to pay for it.

In general, US polls have inadequate sample sizes and I don't think they have an equivalent of the British Polling Institute to require certain standards. I doubt if they research each state's demography thoroughly to ensure a balanced sample. But with the exception of Rasmussen they don't seem especially erratic or out of line with each other beyond the MOE arising from small samples.

This is a really excellent point. It's also worth remembering that some polls track All Adults (including those unable to vote), some Registered Voters (which tend to include those unlikely to vote) and some Likely Voters (which have very strict turnout filters). This leads to fairly wide disparities before we even get to methodology.

Given US Presidential election turnout has tended to hover in the low 50s (and hasn't been in the 60s since the... errr... 60s...) this increases the chance of pollsters being wildly wrong.

(I was trying to work out if increased turnout is good for challengers or incumbents, and the answer seems to be "it depends". The incumbent won on falling turnout in '12, and '96, but won on rising in '04. The challenger won on rising turnout in '92, but Reagan (amazingly) won on falling turnout in '80.)

All that being said, the one staggering fact is that Biden is averaging over 50 percent in the polls. I challenge any one on here to find a Presidential candidate averaging over 50% in August who went on to lose.

This doesn't mean it won't happen this time, but it does emphasize that Biden has a surprisingly big lead.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

It's the aerosol you need to avoid.
    https://time.com/5883081/covid-19-transmitted-aerosols/?fbclid=IwAR0f79tCHqwTdBuB7WphYAXNkitHVOZ745uBTWCQfv1V--58h1m3JzIVZVI

"Talking, and especially singing and shouting increase aerosol exhalation by factors of 10 and 50, respectively. Indeed, we are finding that outbreaks often occur when people gather in crowded, insufficiently ventilated indoor spaces, such as singing at karaoke parties, cheering at clubs, having conversations in bars, and exercising in gyms."

All of which I am happy to avoid.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

Maybe he could run in 2028 after Biden stands down.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

No we cannot. Trump is a truly disgusting person and those who actively cheer on his race baiting and his sullying of American democracy itself deserve all the contempt they get.

It has nothing to do with betting. There’s a very good chance indeed that Trump will win again, but that’s a separate discussion.
    It's the same discussion. I've begun hedging my Biden for POTUS position and part of why is because his race baiting, democracy sullying appeals to some Americans who live in key swing states. Understand that is important to my betting strategy and if people who post here have insight into the mindset then I want to hear from them. PB doesn't have cancel culture, it's one of the few places that doesn't, any move to start one should be resisted.
    Agreed. Trumpsters - those who want him to win for political not betting reasons - have a right to post their views on here and they should because it's important to hear them. Likewise people who are bemused by the above or are angered or have contempt for it have a right to express that. Which is where we are, I think. I'm not seeing a big problem.
    There's a problem because all you have is insults. You have few arguments. Blacks and hispanics enjoyed record employment levels under Trump before COVID hit. That a number. Its a statistic. Its a fact.

Its also a fact that as Kim Klasic pointed out, black neighbourhoods have nightmare levels of crime and social problems after decades of democratic government.

And what has Trump done in the past 4 years to help black neighbourhoods?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

We came very close to having a 100 year old President in the early 2000s if Al Qaeda or a pretzel had been more robust.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    nichomar said:

felix said:

nichomar said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

They didn’t elect the cabinet positions. Anyway we made national news today with our 21 case outbreak having been relatively untouched until now. Seems to have emptied the beeches somewhat. Based in a seafront restaurant and sports facility.
    No - but some parties pontificate about equality while others get on and do it.
    On Covid we are the same -
    I expect they'll do the routine disinfection of roads and pavements which is a peculiarly pointless exercize unless people are licking the ground! Everyone wil feel reassured and have a fag in a group setting, a few drinks and the story continues... Some bloke in the Adnalucian Junta was boasting that we were the top choice for tourists this summer - he forgot to add that Covid 19 joined the party.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

The First Step Act (Initially introduced by a GOP congressman) and signed off by Trump is an interesting piece of US law to look that could potentially help black neighbourhoods.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Jobs, jobs, jobs. Like it or not Trump's economic plan created more jobs for black people than Obama. It's also up to communities to help themselves, and again the Trump jobs drive did this better than Obama.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

"Blacks and hispanics enjoyed record employment levels under Trump before COVID hit"

Is that true?

I ask this, because the US employment-to-population ratio (while it improved under Trump) is still quite a lot worse that at its peak in 2000. So, I'd be very surprised if it was at peak levels for Hispanic and African Americans.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

We came very close to having a 100 year old President in the early 2000s if Al Qaeda or a pretzel had been more robust.
    I'm trying to work this out, Cheney isn't that old ?
  • Options
    @contrarian

See: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS12300006

Not bad, and certainly well above average levels, but not peak.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,690
    felix said:

And none of them any use. What point are you trying to make?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited August 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

President pro tempore of the senate?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

During the early part of George W Bush's Presidency the third in line in the order of succession was the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Strom Thurmond, who was around 100.

The current President Pro Tempore of the Senate is 87 next month.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

felix said:

Maggie Thatcher - "not of any use". Discuss. Use both sides of the paper.

How did PM Jo Swinson work out for you?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_xP said:
    If they came up with crap like this surely they deserve the boot?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

Couldn't have been Strom Thurmond could it?

EDIT: Seems it could. That would have shaken things up!!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,095

You have to be truly despicable to want Trump to win. It has nothing to do with being “woke” or “left vs right”.

Quite a few PB Trumptons on here: MrEd, LuckyGuy, Contrarian, AveIt, Sandpit – to name but five.

It's bizarre because Contrarian and Sandpit seem otherwise perfectly sane.
  • Options

ClippP said:

felix said:

You may, if you wish, use a crayon.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

Sandpit said:

You have to be truly despicable to want Trump to win. It has nothing to do with being “woke” or “left vs right”.

Grow up
    The guy openly fans the flames of race war and panders to white supremacists. He is a despicable human being and anyone who “supports” him is just as despicable.

Wanting to piss off some “wokists” is no excuse.
    The “Race War” is coming from the Democrats and the woke left.

Trump and the Republicans are quite happy to quote Martin Luther King, who famously said that people should be judged not by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.

Trigger Warning: Satire.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg
    Anyone that can right this sort of shit really does not have any idea. The ignorance is just astounding. "the race war is coming from the left"? Sure there may be some agitators who are stirring things up, but are you, and others like you so blind and ignorant that you didn't notice a black man was shot in the back seven times by a white US police officer? That a black man was choked to death by a white police officer? That black people in this country and others have significantly reduced life chances than white people? That there really are people in the US that still support the idea of white people owning black slaves?

Are you really THAT ignorant? The race war (if there is one - I have noticed protesters of all colours) is not "coming from the Democrats and the woke left" you ignorant numpties!! Wake up ffs.
    On that I’m afraid I’m going to have to agree with you. There are enough videos out there of the sort of everyday racism that black people face, particularly in the US but also in the UK, that it’s hard not to.

For every black man shot in the back by a white police officer. and for every black man unlawfully killed by a white police officer, how many are slain by other black men? How many are cheated, robbed intimidated or otherwise abused by their own kind?

10? 20? 50?

Black on black crime dwarfs white on black crime, especially murder.

Black on white crime also occurs, by the way, but is totally and utterly ignored by the left. That;s not a 'race war' apparently,even though the numbers are not insignificant. No white people are protesting because their kind are getting slain by blacks.

This whole thing is being trumped up by an organisation of often white people who cannot get what they want through the ballot box. Black people are being royally used, and I think they are starting to realise that.
    Mmm, I see.

So blacks get abused all the time by their own kind. And furthermore whites don't riot even though their kind are forever getting slain by blacks.

Very interesting ...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

It's about the best person for the job. No idea if Tony Abbot is that person, but I certainly have no objection on the basis of him being an upstart colonial.
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

Whoever is the best for the job, irrespective of where they come from or what they look like.
    Unless they are Polish plumbers.
    What's wrong with Polish plumbers? When I was last in the UK they had a reputation for being more efficient and cheaper than British plumbers.
    Absolutely. Except we had a vote in 2016 which was predicated on not allowing Polish plumbers to come to the UK.
    There's a massive difference between being in favour of employing the best person for the job of those who interview and are eligible, and support for a political system that led to a 10% increase in population in less than a decade - many of whom were unskilled and a net burden to society, leading to the British poor finding it much more difficult to get on in life.
    Ah. So now all of a sudden we don't want the best person for the job. Why didn't you just say that to start with instead of all that "irrespective of where they come from" bollocks?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Good to see civil servants on six figure salaries being held accountable for their actions, rather than telling the minister everything's okay when it isn't, then getting promoted while the minister resigns.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Jobs, jobs, jobs. Like it or not Trump's economic plan created more jobs for black people than Obama. It's also up to communities to help themselves, and again the Trump jobs drive did this better than Obama.
    And what impact has that had on these “nightmare levels of crime and social problems”?

Are we seeing less executions of black people by white police officers?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

ClippP said:

felix said:

Not everybody worships the blessed Margaret, many feel the opposite.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

That's not actually true.

Look at the employment chart from the St Louis Fed. The proportion of employed African Americans continued to rise at exactly the same pace it did during the Obama years, there was no acceleration under Trump.

Edit to add: one also needs to remember that Presidents don't actually have that much power. Economies rise and fall depending largely on the economic cycle. And if you're solely using employment ratios (or GDP growth or whatever) then you're mostly measuring where in the economic cycle a President took power.
  • Options
    George Galloway's latest comedy vehicle having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/Alliance4Unity/status/1298582690011250688?s=20
  • Options
    ClippP said:

felix said:

As I said some parties pontificate about equality - others get on and do it. By the way how is PM Swinson enjoying power?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pro_Rata said:

Jimmy Carter;
    George W Bush;
    Bill Clinton and
    Obama

I couldn't work it out either.
  • Options
    some may wish not use their own feces.
  • Options

Quite a few PB Trumptons on here: MrEd, LuckyGuy, Contrarian, AveIt, Sandpit – to name but five.

There's a difference between being a "Trumpton" and trying to add balance to what's currently a very one-sided conversation on a betting site.

I'm not American and don't live in America, who they decide to elect is up to them - but it's important to realise that there's a very complicated and partisan media environment which can distort views of what's actually going on.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Look at the employment chart from the St Louis Fed. The proportion of employed African Americans continued to rise at exactly the same pace it did during the Obama years, there was no acceleration under Trump.

Edit to add: one also needs to remember that Presidents don't actually have that much power. Economies rise and fall depending largely on the economic cycle. And if you're solely using employment ratios (or GDP growth or whatever) then you're mostly measuring where in the economic cycle a President took power.
    And Obama did it with far more fiscally Conservative spending.
  • Options
    FPT

I wonder what the medical/mask experts on here think of this chaps view. His name is Professor of Medicine Jean-François Toussaint and he has quite a CV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ulA8u05Z-Q

the best thing about this video is learning the french for 'umpteenth'.
  • Options

ClippP said:

felix said:

He's a Lib dim - crayons are a bit of a challenge...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

The latter does get tiresome to scroll past, we get it you're outraged. Get over yourselves because no one else cares.
    Ok. But it's a good job we don't take the same tack regarding certain other politicians and viewpoints . We'd be doing far more scrolling than reading!

But more seriously - I do think there's value in regularly stressing that Trump is beyond the pale and that one ought not to get too sanguine or relaxed about such an individual being in the White House. (Which as it happens I have clocked that you are not.)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

<
    I'm not American and don't live in America, who they decide to elect is up to them

Good outlook that can applied in lots of situations.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Grow up
    The guy openly fans the flames of race war and panders to white supremacists. He is a despicable human being and anyone who “supports” him is just as despicable.

Trump and the Republicans are quite happy to quote Martin Luther King, who famously said that people should be judged not by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.

Anyone that can right this sort of shit really does not have any idea. The ignorance is just astounding. "the race war is coming from the left"? Sure there may be some agitators who are stirring things up, but are you, and others like you so blind and ignorant that you didn't notice a black man was shot in the back seven times by a white US police officer? That a black man was choked to death by a white police officer? That black people in this country and others have significantly reduced life chances than white people? That there really are people in the US that still support the idea of white people owning black slaves?

Are you really THAT ignorant? The race war (if there is one - I have noticed protesters of all colours) is not "coming from the Democrats and the woke left" you ignorant numpties!! Wake up ffs.
    On that I’m afraid I’m going to have to agree with you. There are enough videos out there of the sort of everyday racism that black people face, particularly in the US but also in the UK, that it’s hard not to.

For every black man shot in the back by a white police officer. and for every black man unlawfully killed by a white police officer, how many are slain by other black men? How many are cheated, robbed intimidated or otherwise abused by their own kind?

10? 20? 50?

Black on white crime also occurs, by the way, but is totally and utterly ignored by the left. That;s not a 'race war' apparently,even though the numbers are not insignificant. No white people are protesting because their kind are getting slain by blacks.

This whole thing is being trumped up by an organisation of often white people who cannot get what they want through the ballot box. Black people are being royally used, and I think they are starting to realise that.
    Mmm, I see.

So blacks get abused all the time by their own kind. And furthermore whites don't riot even though their kind are forever getting slain by blacks.

Very interesting ...
    Don;t shoot the messenger. Those are the numbers. I don;t collate them. Are the facts racist? you tell me.

If you are a black person you are much more likely to be shot dead by another black person than a white person, and much more likely to be shot dead by another black person than a white police officer.

Are there white racists in the police force? yes. Are they conducting a deadly race war against black people in large numbers? the numbers show the answer is no.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

Whoever is the best for the job, irrespective of where they come from or what they look like.
    That wasn't the question. It was "prefer". Not all Brexit supporters are xenophobes and racists, but it is a reasonable guess that most lean that way. I now await a "woke" type faux outrage from all Brexit apologists lol!
    I think what is most on display with your posts on this matter are your own petty prejudices. I come from a strong remain perspective but I don't have so much hate for those with a different view that I seek to comfort myself by ascribing a whole load of vileness to them.
    Well I suppose there is a certain interesting irony there if what you say is true. Brexit is, by any objective measure, based on prejudice and very little fact. My assertion is though, based on common sense and the facts of how the referendum was conducted. As I have said that not all Brexit supporters have xenophobic views and racist tendencies, but it is a complete denial of common sense to suggest that it was not a major motivator of many that voted that way. Xenophobia was whipped up good and proper by Farage as a method of getting people to vote for it, or have you forgotten the poster? To pretend that Brexit was not largely about dislike of foreigners, and immigrants in particular is to put your head in the sand. Or perhaps you think racism doesn't exits in these world beating islands?

Those that voted Brexit may well be comfortable aligning themselves with xenophobes, racists and Vladimir Putin, but the knowledge of those three, a kind of repulsive trinity would be enough to make me not want to be part of it, even if everything else were equal. If those that did vote for the pointless lunacy get upset by being reminded about it, well tough.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

You'd think Ruth would have scrubbed all mention of EffieDeans from her Internet presence but apparently not.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,690
    felix said:

ClippP said:

felix said:

As I said some parties pontificate about equality - others get on and do it. By the way how is PM Swinson enjoying power?
    What the country needs is good government (always) not a load of phoney posturing. The Conservatives just give us a load of the second of these, because they are trying to wrongfoot the Labour Party (and others). The Conservatives really ought to be more responsible.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881

Still more roundels than an Airfix Spitfire, or a Mods convention.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

You'd think Ruth would have scrubbed all mention of EffieDeans from her Internet presence but apparently not.
    You need a broad coalition when you're the 45.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Didn't we predict this weeks ago? That the "blob" civil servants would be scapegoated?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

It's about the best person for the job. No idea if Tony Abbot is that person, but I certainly have no objection on the basis of him being an upstart colonial.
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

Unless they are Polish plumbers.
    What's wrong with Polish plumbers? When I was last in the UK they had a reputation for being more efficient and cheaper than British plumbers.
    Absolutely. Except we had a vote in 2016 which was predicated on not allowing Polish plumbers to come to the UK.
    There's a massive difference between being in favour of employing the best person for the job of those who interview and are eligible, and support for a political system that led to a 10% increase in population in less than a decade - many of whom were unskilled and a net burden to society, leading to the British poor finding it much more difficult to get on in life.
    Ah. So now all of a sudden we don't want the best person for the job. Why didn't you just say that to start with instead of all that "irrespective of where they come from" bollocks?
    I have no objection to Polish plumbers or Polish immigration at all. I do have a strong objection to paying child benefit for children who don't even live in the UK, but that's a side issue, and one we could have dealt with whilst still inside the EU.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Grow up

A contender for the most braindead PB post of 2020.

Is it the heat out there?
    As I warned: Satire.

Too many people think that Twitter is representative, and because 95% of people on Twitter think Trump is Lucifer the election result is a foregone conclusion.

I'm trying to read around the news in the US, looking at more impartial sources away from the MSM narrative and opinionating.

One thing that's really clear is that there's ongoing riots and looting in many cities, and the national media are desperately trying to downplay the violence. The original BLM protests have been in many cases taken over by 'Antifa', a group of rich white anarchist lefties who want to abolish the police.

The people living in and around these cities (and many others) are genuinely scared that the violence is coming their way, and see the local politicians at best being agnostic, and many are unofficially supporting the 'protests'.

This is a betting site, and I'm trying to bring some balance to the debate. If the riots continue as we get closer to the election, it will help Republicans.
    Not buying that. That you are seeking to bring balance for betting purposes. It makes no sense. Trump's odds are short given the polls, it's clearly not Twitter driving the betting but the opposite, it's pro-Trump sentiment. So if anything it's balance the other way that is required. For example, to question the consensus verging on groupthink that suburbanites will turn to Big Daddy Trump because they are scared of rioting, rather than turn to a more conciliatory quieter figure, Biden, under whom the temperature of political life might cool.

No, I think you are projecting your own views. Or rather I don't think that, I know you are.
    Antifa are a bunch of rich whites whereas Trump is happy to quote Martin Luther King? C'mon.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    Good to see civil servants on six figure salaries being held accountable for their actions, rather than telling the minister everything's okay when it isn't, then getting promoted while the minister resigns.
    I'm no fan of his (he's pure Woke) but I think it stinks that all the civil servants go but not the minister responsible for making the decisions.
    That- in the longer term- is the point. Even if you don't rate senior civil servants, it's striking that the cockup and U-turn frequency is much higher under this government than under predecessors. One possibility is that the rewiring of Whitehall is cutting out the failsafes that used to exist. Why should anyone good work for this lot, when the political direction is so shlonky and failure gets you the boot?

Also, "my plan was brilliant and its failure is down to incompetent minions" is such a classic supervillan trope, I'm not sure the government should be going there.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm no fan of his (he's pure Woke) but I think it stinks that all the civil servants go but not the minister responsible for making the decisions.
    I'm pretty sure that the minister will be reshuffled at the next reshuffle, but it's long overdue that serious failures of the standing bureaucracy actually result in people leaving their posts - as would happen with someone on a six figure salary in any commercial business.

The alternative is the status quo, where the ministers change even more frequently than the civil servants, and get completely house trained by those who see 'Yes, Minister' as a documentary or an instruction manual.

The government has a mandate for serious reform of the senior civil service from their manifesto, and this is as good a starting point as any.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

And Obama did it with far more fiscally Conservative spending.
    That's an excellent point. The reality is that - even before CV19 - the Trump administration was running with the loosest fiscal policy outside the Great Recession. When you run a highly expansionary fiscal policy, then it would be staggering if employment didn't rise.

The main reason I wanted Trump to win in 2020 was because I felt that he was right that he should live with the hangover of cutting taxes and rising spending, and not his successor.
  • Options

Your McCarthyite tendency to try and out Trump betters and backers and then hold them to account for it is particularly unpleasant.

Stop it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Scott_xP said:
    How many have gone in Scotland, Wales & NI? Their politicians often complain they don't get a fair shout in national media...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

ClippP said:

felix said:

"Maggie Thatcher - "not of any use". Discuss."
    OK maybe we should have used the North Sea oil bonanza to create a sovereign wealth fund rather than keeping the pound high and closing down British industry. Maybe updating industry to compete with Germany.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

ClippP said:

felix said:

OK maybe we should have used the North Sea oil bonanza to create a sovereign wealth fund rather than keeping the pound high and closing down British industry. Maybe updating industry to compete with Germany.
    If there was a sovereign wealth fund Scotland would be long gone probably with at least a chunk of it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm pretty sure that the minister will be reshuffled at the next reshuffle, but it's long overdue that serious failures of the standing bureaucracy actually result in people leaving their posts - as would happen with someone on a six figure salary in any commercial business.

The alternative is the status quo, where the ministers change even more frequently than the civil servants, and get completely house trained by those who see 'Yes, Minister' as a documentary or an instruction manual.

The government has a mandate for serious reform of the senior civil service from their manifesto, and this is as good a starting point as any.
    He can be blamed for poor implementation. He can't be blamed for taking bad decisions.

It's ridiculous that Williamson is still there.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

I'm perfectly Ok to make the case that Donald Trump seeks to validate and exploit racism rather than fight it.

We'll do it sequentially and numbered from now until he goes down on Nov 3rd. I'm the prosecution, you're the defence.

Exhibit Number 1 - Birther.

Fact. He took a leading role in pushing the Conspiracy Theory that Barack Obama was born in a foreign country and thus ineligible to be President.

My explanation. Validation and exploitation of racism.

Your explanation ... pls advise.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    isam said:
    The media really isn't doing very well is it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Your McCarthyite tendency to try and out Trump betters and backers and then hold them to account for it is particularly unpleasant.

Stop it.
    I'm quite happy to be amongst the accused. I can't say I'm devastated that Anabobazina deems me less than perfectly sane either.

People have utterly lost their shit over Trump. A Trump job is worse than non-Trump unemployment. A Trump peace is worse than a Hillary war. A Trump medicine is worse than having Covid-19. It's silly.
  • Options

felix said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Question for Brexiters:

That wasn't the question. It was "prefer". Not all Brexit supporters are xenophobes and racists, but it is a reasonable guess that most lean that way. I now await a "woke" type faux outrage from all Brexit apologists lol!
    I think what is most on display with your posts on this matter are your own petty prejudices. I come from a strong remain perspective but I don't have so much hate for those with a different view that I seek to comfort myself by ascribing a whole load of vileness to them.
    Well I suppose there is a certain interesting irony there if what you say is true. Brexit is, by any objective measure, based on prejudice and very little fact. My assertion is though, based on common sense and the facts of how the referendum was conducted. As I have said that not all Brexit supporters have xenophobic views and racist tendencies, but it is a complete denial of common sense to suggest that it was not a major motivator of many that voted that way. Xenophobia was whipped up good and proper by Farage as a method of getting people to vote for it, or have you forgotten the poster? To pretend that Brexit was not largely about dislike of foreigners, and immigrants in particular is to put your head in the sand. Or perhaps you think racism doesn't exits in these world beating islands?

Those that voted Brexit may well be comfortable aligning themselves with xenophobes, racists and Vladimir Putin, but the knowledge of those three, a kind of repulsive trinity would be enough to make me not want to be part of it, even if everything else were equal. If those that did vote for the pointless lunacy get upset by being reminded about it, well tough.
    What I say is absolutely true. For me politics is a pretty dirty business with often a range of unpalatable choices. Being no angel myself I am loath to ascribe devilment in others. I do think it is important to respect the vote of the people. I fully suspect the motives of some leave voters as being ill founded, racist, etc. Many others were motivated by hostility tpo Eurofederalism, bureaucracy, loss of identity, etc. In the end though we lost in 2016 and in 2019 the result also was clear. Time to move on and end the venting of spleen. I find your hostility to your own country rather sad than anything else. Maybe time to find somewhere new, I did and am very happy here although the grass here is a sunburnt brown, politics is a mess and every sinlge 'ism' you don't like abounds here as well.
  • Options
  • Options
    ClippP said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

felix said:

What the country needs is good government (always) not a load of phoney posturing. The Conservatives just give us a load of the second of these, because they are trying to wrongfoot the Labour Party (and others). The Conservatives really ought to be more responsible.
    Worry not - the people would never vote in such a shower - with your powers of persuasion to hand PM Davey/Moran will be shoe-ins next time....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There's a difference between being a "Trumpton" and trying to add balance to what's currently a very one-sided conversation on a betting site.

I'm not American and don't live in America, who they decide to elect is up to them - but it's important to realise that there's a very complicated and partisan media environment which can distort views of what's actually going on.
    But you can actually see Trump on TV saying stuff that is insane or lies, often contradicting what he said before. You can see his actions, two examples:

1. Not criticising Putin over his payments for killing US troops.
    2. Downplaying Coronavirus after he'd emasculated the CDC.

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/06/26/trump-putin-bounty-us-troops.html
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,979
    edited August 2020
    Non BLM believer Matt Le Tissier sacked from Sky, and death threats for Rugby players who wont take the knee

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1298636298513797120?s=20

https://twitter.com/TouristRugby/status/1298173778447433728?s=20
  • Options
    felix said:

ClippP said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

felix said:

Worry not - the people would never vote in such a shower - with your powers of persuasion to hand PM Davey/Moran will be shoe-ins next time....
    Shoo - no footwear involved.
  • Options
    I still think the now friendless algorithm would have given closer results, even on an individual basis (It certainly would have done so population wise) to what this cohort would actually have achieved.
    Nevertheless seems you're thrown under the bus for delivering what the DfE asked for rather than the systemic inflation they actually wanted.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

He can be blamed for poor implementation. He can't be blamed for taking bad decisions.

It's ridiculous that Williamson is still there.
    Actually, the worst you can say of civil servants and quangocrats is that they didn't say loudly and on the record "the task set by the government is impossible". Because there was no way of allocating grades in a way that was fair between candidates in different schools.

The way chosen (crudely, assume that the school-level results this year would be the same as recent years) was bound to lead to lots of individual injustices. It could have been done better than it was, but actually the least bad solution was probably accept school grades and check any that look seriously out-of-line. But that failed because of the "no grade inflation" directive.

But once you have a government with a certain,ahem, reputation for shutting itself off from "it can't be done", then bad things like this happen.
  • Options

Stop it.
    I'm quite happy to be amongst the accused. I can't say I'm devastated that Anabobazina deems me less than perfectly sane either.

People have utterly lost their shit over Trump. A Trump job is worse than non-Trump unemployment. A Trump peace is worse than a Hillary war. A Trump medicine is worse than having Covid-19. It's silly.
    Many American's wouldn't need medicine and many would still be alive if Trump hadn't emasculated the CDC and downplayed the coronavirus. It never did 'magically go away' did it?
  • Options

ClippP said:

felix said:

North Sea oil didn't stop the British pound from dropping to near parity with the dollar in the mid 80s. I don't think the government of the time had an explicit exchange rate target.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Grow up

A contender for the most braindead PB post of 2020.

Is it the heat out there?
    As I warned: Satire.

Too many people think that Twitter is representative, and because 95% of people on Twitter think Trump is Lucifer the election result is a foregone conclusion.

I'm trying to read around the news in the US, looking at more impartial sources away from the MSM narrative and opinionating.

One thing that's really clear is that there's ongoing riots and looting in many cities, and the national media are desperately trying to downplay the violence. The original BLM protests have been in many cases taken over by 'Antifa', a group of rich white anarchist lefties who want to abolish the police.

The people living in and around these cities (and many others) are genuinely scared that the violence is coming their way, and see the local politicians at best being agnostic, and many are unofficially supporting the 'protests'.

This is a betting site, and I'm trying to bring some balance to the debate. If the riots continue as we get closer to the election, it will help Republicans.
    Not buying that. That you are seeking to bring balance for betting purposes. It makes no sense. Trump's odds are short given the polls, it's clearly not Twitter driving the betting but the opposite, it's pro-Trump sentiment. So if anything it's balance the other way that is required. For example, to question the consensus verging on groupthink that suburbanites will turn to Big Daddy Trump because they are scared of rioting, rather than turn to a more conciliatory quieter figure, Biden, under whom the temperature of political life might cool.

No, I think you are projecting your own views. Or rather I don't think that, I know you are.
    Antifa are a bunch of rich whites whereas Trump is happy to quote Martin Luther King? C'mon.
    I'll let you think what you think, that's obviously your prerogative.

What I see is a bunch of Republicans who are arguing that people should be treated according to the content of their character, and a bunch of Democrats who think people should be treated according to the colour of their skin.

It's well documented that the Antifa rioters are white, middle-class left-wingers.

I'm genuinely agnostic as to the result, I think that both candidates will work constructively with the UK as president. Congress is also just as important when considering how a trade deal plays out.

Both the polls and the betting markets are being driven by emotional sentiment much more than factual information, as opposed to trying to understand what's actually happening on the ground in the swing states.
  • Options
    alterego said:

isam said:
    The media really isn't doing very well is it.
    Parroting Trump's view that the media exists to do down rightwingers?
    The Telegraph, The Sun and Daily Mail - really?
  • Options
    A lot of those states saw virtually no polling in 2016 because they weren't thought to be competitive. So, in all of June, July, August and September, there were only two polls in Wisconsin showing Clinton with a lead of more than 5%. Go look at the polling for Wisconsin in 2016 and 2020 and I'd be staggered if you thought Hillary was doing better.
  • Options
    Florida is the key state. If Biden wins there, he's home and dry.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

the polls are being driven by emotional sentiment much more than factual information

You'll lose money long term believing that.
  • Options
    isam said:

Non BLM believer Matt Le Tissier sacked from Sky, and death threats for Rugby players who wont take the knee

ttps://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1298636298513797120?s=20

ttps://twitter.com/TouristRugby/status/1298173778447433728?s=20

Let's see what happens when they let crowds back into football grounds next month.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ClippP said:

felix said:

North Sea oil didn't stop the British pound from dropping to near parity with the dollar in the mid 80s. I don't think the government of the time had an explicit exchange rate target.
    But wasn't the mere fact that we had the oil a factor in keeping the pound higher than it would have been? Also compare the British use of oil revenues with Norway's.
    Genuine question.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

the polls are being driven by emotional sentiment much more than factual information

You'll lose money long term believing that.
    That's why I'm betting single pounds in the US election markets, rather than hundreds as in 2016.

IMO there's way too many variables to be betting big money, and it's unfortunately quite likely that the whole thing ends up in court as in 2000.
  • Options
    isam said:

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1298636298513797120?s=20

https://twitter.com/TouristRugby/status/1298173778447433728?s=20

Bit of spin there, Sky have also sacked BLM supporters Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020

TimT said:

Another scientist bucking the sheep trend

Whatever you think of that scientist's views, he is an incredibly effective communicator. Would that British or American TV news programmes would give that much time to an individual to explain complex and nuanced issues.
    French current affairs programmes are simply miles ahead of those in the UK or US. They assume a level of intelligence on the part of the viewer and the aim genuinely seems to be to inform and learn rather than to catch politicians out or show how clever the presenters are.
    British TV was once like this ; Birt for the BBC, and the Broadcasting Act for Channel 4 and ITV, ended that level of ambition over the course of the 1990s.

• Options
    edited August 2020

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Grow up

10? 20? 50?

Mmm, I see.

Very interesting ...
    Don;t shoot the messenger. Those are the numbers. I don;t collate them. Are the facts racist? you tell me.

If you are a black person you are much more likely to be shot dead by another black person than a white person, and much more likely to be shot dead by another black person than a white police officer.

Are there white racists in the police force? yes. Are they conducting a deadly race war against black people in large numbers? the numbers show the answer is no.
    I was not shooting you, I was just struck by the language. You know how I am on language. How I think it's such a tell sometimes.

On your specific point. Yes, there are proportionately more black murderers than white ones in America. Nothing racist about such a statement. It's true. It's a Fact even. But what about the constant repetition of this Fact as a way of downplaying the problem of the violent racist policing of black men. Would that be racist? Or at least evidence of it?

And a question for you if you don't mind -

You say that whites do not riot even though many "of their kind" are killed by the "other kind", i.e. by blacks.

Why iyo is that? WHY do white people not riot over this despite the ostensible provocation?

Perhaps they just vote Trump instead?

No, sorry, words in mouth, I'm interested in your take.
  • Options
    Biden piling up votes in liberal states and black votes in southern states which won't win him any ECVs.

As I said today, it's all to play for and I think the Dems are going to blow it, even in the most favourable political environment they've had for ages. Suburban whites don't enjoy being called racist, they don't believe they are racist and by. A fairly large majority they aren't racist. The Dems are allowing a small group of idiots to represent them and that group is going around calling all white people racist, it's going to backfire on them very badly.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

The latter does get tiresome to scroll past, we get it you're outraged. Get over yourselves because no one else cares.
    Ok. But it's a good job we don't take the same tack regarding certain other politicians and viewpoints . We'd be doing far more scrolling than reading!

But more seriously - I do think there's value in regularly stressing that Trump is beyond the pale and that one ought not to get too sanguine or relaxed about such an individual being in the White House. (Which as it happens I have clocked that you are not.)
    I think what it boils down to is that my outrage changes absolutely nothing, so it is therefore pointless. I was outraged by the whole Cummings saga and remain so, I did what I could do to show that by quitting the conservative party and cancelling my monthly direct debit. I have no actions to take against Trump, literally nothing, so why waste my time and energy being outraged about it all the time?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Florida is also one of the worst hit states by the virus, so Biden should find it easier to win there. However, the margin is still small enough for suburban and rural whites to turn out for Trump on the day.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I was slightly disappointed to see during the statchoo protectors stushie in Glasgow that a chapter (if that's what you call them) of scooter driving mods was among them, bedecked in UFs. In the great Mods v Rockers duality I tend to the latter, but I expected a bit more style from the Mod section of the 2 wheeled fraternity.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Florida is also one of the worst hit states by the virus, so Biden should find it easier to win there. However, the margin is still small enough for suburban and rural whites to turn out for Trump on the day.
    IIRC there was also a proposition passed in 2018 in Florida, to give the vote to felons released from prison. Apparently there's a million felons in Florida, and they likely lean Dem - if they turn out.

In such a marginal state it might make a difference, there's a lot of small effects in the state - it's likely going to be too close to call on the night.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

IIRC there was also a proposition passed in 2018 in Florida, to give the vote to felons released from prison. Apparently there's a million felons in Florida, and they likely lean Dem - if they turn out.

In such a marginal state it might make a difference, there's a lot of small effects in the state - it's likely going to be too close to call on the night.
    That's also going to be a difficult group to poll so definitely worth taking into account.
  • Options
    Well he has compelling evidence. Dec 12th.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,348

TimT said:

Another scientist bucking the sheep trend

Whatever you think of that scientist's views, he is an incredibly effective communicator. Would that British or American TV news programmes would give that much time to an individual to explain complex and nuanced issues.
    French current affairs programmes are simply miles ahead of those in the UK or US. They assume a level of intelligence on the part of the viewer and the aim genuinely seems to be to inform and learn rather than to catch politicians out or show how clever the presenters are.
    The scientist in the clip has a very extensive CV. He is very qualified to be commenting on the current Covid situation. The presenters did not like what he was saying but at least they let him say it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Well it is moot now.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/17/892105780/supreme-court-deals-major-blow-to-ex-felons-right-to-vote-in-florida?t=1598458202801
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881
    edited August 2020

Carnyx said:

I was slightly disappointed to see during the statchoo protectors stushie in Glasgow that a chapter (if that's what you call them) of scooter driving mods was among them, bedecked in UFs. In the great Mods v Rockers duality I tend to the latter, but I expected a bit more style from the Mod section of the 2 wheeled fraternity.
    I rather think the collective noun is "transfer sheet". I wonder if it's an age thing? LIke reading the Express and voting SLAB? Quite a few mods these days are harking back to their youth.

Edit: which might actually suggest that the branding of the wotsit alliance is quite clever.
This discussion has been closed.