Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Johnson with a 6% lead there on Favourable ratings.

Remarkable all things considered that he's still leading on that metric.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Fysh is an ignorant arse, thick as pig shit and lier to boot.
    Very keen on a very hard Brexit.
  • Options

All wars mean firing up your own troops by any means necessary, the culture war isn't any different.

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1297855702002741249?s=20

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1297855702929743873?s=20

Shall I reply to him and ask him is he really proud of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?
    He'll probably accuse you of wanting to kneel to the French.

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1297847165939834880
    Upon checking, turns out Mr Radley follows me on Twitter.

This has potential for a lot of fun.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    eek said:

One for TSE and Cyclefree

https://twitter.com/davidmwessel/status/1298226154801901568

Mind you it does answer the question who on earth would want to take over the complete mess that is Deutsche Bank

Think of it as a rotten tree trying to hide in a rotten forest, perhaps ?

Purely metaphorically, of course.
  • Options
    The Gov't is u-turning on plenty now. Might as well go for as close to a Norway relationship as the EU will let us whilst they're at it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

All wars mean firing up your own troops by any means necessary, the culture war isn't any different.

Shall I reply to him and ask him is he really proud of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?

Please show us any results.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Gov't is u-turning on plenty now. Might as well go for as close to a Norway relationship as the EU will let us whilst they're at it.

EEA yes please!
  • Options
    My thinking on masks in schools is that the schools themselves are best placed to determine their own policy, like they are for school uniforms.

I wouldn't think masks are a good idea in primary schools but for secondary schools they definitely could be. Each school probably knows itself how well socially distanced they have been able to rearrange the school and if they wish to encourage masks they would have my full support. If they think they're redundant then so be it too.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Let me get my troll game face on and I'll start replying to him.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    He’s nominally my MP he promised me, in writing, that if the UK voted leave there was no way we would leave EEA/EFTA and that free movement would continue uninterrupted.
  • Options
    Masks should be mandatory in secondary schools, at least away from desks. It's the right balance between ensuring education and viral transmission prevention.
  • Options

My thinking on masks in schools is that the schools themselves are best placed to determine their own policy, like they are for school uniforms.

I wouldn't think masks are a good idea in primary schools but for secondary schools they definitely could be. Each school probably knows itself how well socially distanced they have been able to rearrange the school and if they wish to encourage masks they would have my full support. If they think they're redundant then so be it too.

Whatever schools decide, the government should provide free masks from the stock the NHS bought but could not use.
  • Options
    Whomp whomp another U-turn
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    He’s nominally my MP he promised me, in writing, that if the UK voted leave there was no way we would leave EEA/EFTA and that free movement would continue uninterrupted.
    I find that hard to believe considering that leaving the EEA was explicit policy of the leave campaign. When was that he wrote that?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    It’s fairly common knowledge that only weirdos stand for political office. Twitter only confirms this.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    I find that hard to believe considering that leaving the EEA was explicit policy of the leave campaign. When was that he wrote that?
    What is wrong with EEA
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The United Kingdom of London and Scotland has a certain ring to it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Do you have a copy of the letter still /
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2020

dr_spyn said:

That's one way of looking at it if you are a Boris fanboy.

44% of those polled disapprove of Johnson while just 25% of those polled disapprove of Starmer. That's a big gap.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Early 2016 I think, I should have kept the letter although I only threw it away about twelve months ago.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823

dr_spyn said:

Johnson also leading on unfavourable by 19%.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    What is wrong with EEA
    Control of borders money laws and fishies, or something.

🐠
  • Options
    Tories always move the numbers around to suit their agenda.

Let's imagine the numbers were flipped, if I said Labour leads on favourable Tories would go "oN NEt hE is BEHinD".

Hypocrisy as usual
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Follwing what the SNP do will go down very badly with SLAB. Not very comradely of Mr Khan.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    What is wrong with EEA
    EEA is outside of the Customs Union so that's a good thing with it.

But it still inside the Single Market so subject to EU Single Market laws, subject to payments for Single Market membership and (if you care about it, I don't) subject to Single Market rules on Free Movement.

That is why Leave campaigners (and Remain campaigners) were explicit that a vote to leave the EU was a vote to leave the Single Market.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

Carnyx said:

Let me get my troll game face on and I'll start replying to him.
    You'll be in a queue...

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1298245087214874624
  • Options

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    What is wrong with EEA

But it still inside the Single Market so subject to EU Single Market laws, subject to payments for Single Market membership and (if you care about it, I don't) subject to Single Market rules on Free Movement.

That is why Leave campaigners (and Remain campaigners) were explicit that a vote to leave the EU was a vote to leave the Single Market.
    What are the issues with any of those?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

44% of those polled disapprove of Johnson while just 25% of those polled disapprove of Starmer. That's a big gap.
    Actually credit goes to @isam who identified a while back that Favourable ratings were historically more accurate than Net Favourables - which makes sense considering votes vote for a party and not against one.

Plus of course Johnson is polling as good or better than he was in approval ratings still today than he was before he won his landslide 80 seat majority.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

So the boys will be trying to get into the girls masks before their knickers?
  • Options
    "They're trying to restrain me from saying this"

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1298254588160573440

Who is restraining you? Who?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Do you have a copy of the letter still /
    Unfortunately no longer, eventually I decided I had enough to wind myself up about without that and ditched it.
  • Options

Can someone nominate this from 23.8.20 as betting post of the decade!!

BETTING POST

Draw in Test 3.6 is far too high IMO

I think day 5 will be completely washed out and day 4 will be badly interrupted too. So how long will it take England to get 17 wkts

I reckon they have 120 overs left (70 today, 50 tomorrow, zero on day5) in the last 3 days which may be enough but wheras a home win would be a virtual certainty with 270 overs its not in less than half that.

Anyway i am taking a chance that the weather is bad enougn to make the draw a tighter than 3.6 chance.

DYOR

Sadly, I'm afraid @Morris_Dancer will be along shortly to remind you of the time he backed Max van Wall to win the Eurotrash GP at 9000/1...

But yes, it was a great tip.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Martin Rady on the subject of problematic music for Viennese concert goers.

"News of Radetsky's victory at Custoza prompted widespread jubilation in Vienna and was celebrated in August with the premiere of Johann Strauss's Redetsky March. In Lombardy, meanwhile all democratic government was torn up, military rule imposed and a reign of terror released on the countryside. Habsburg troops hunted down insurgents and sympathisers alike handing them over for public floggings and the hangman's noose. Concert goers who clap and stomp to the beat of The Radetsky March should recall just what they are cheering."
  • Options

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/briefing_newdeal.html

"There is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it."
  • Options

"There is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it."
    No you see some speeches were made and contradictory stuff was said but we definitely voted to leave the SM and CU despite the latter never being mentioned until we'd voted (from my recollection - and I'm a politics nut)
  • Options

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    What is wrong with EEA

What are the issues with any of those?
    Being subject to Single Market laws? We voted to take back control so that Parliament passes the laws we're subject to. If Parliament passes a law you dislike you can elect a new Parliament to reverse or change the law. If the EU passes a law you dislike then tough luck you get no say. I believe in democracy - do you?

Being subject to Single Market money? I think billions of pounds of taxes could better go to the NHS etc - do you?

Single Market free movement - I'm not that fussed about this, though I do think we should treat everyone equally and not discriminate against [predominantly not white] the rest of the world in favour of discriminating in favour of the [predominantly white] Europeans. I think an eg Indian doctor should take priority for movement into the UK than eg a Romanian unskilled, unemployed migrant. But I'm not overly fussed personally.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    edited August 2020
    My view on masks in schools is that we are taking a big risk on a second virus peak on children going back to school due to the sheer number of social interactions in that environment. I also think we need to make school work, which means being rigorous on hygiene everywhere - masks in schools, yes - but also in pubs etc. We have zero headroom on this virus.
  • Options
    The Single Market was a large part of what we voted on five years ago. If you wanted to stay in the Single Market you should have voted for Remain. All leading campaigners on both sides of the fence were absolutely explicit that leaving the EU was a vote to leave the Single Market.

And please don't share that discredited fake news video of out of context quotes that has been humiliatingly torn apart and discredited that tried to show the opposite.
  • Options
    Does @HYUFD know Will Radley from the Essex Tory social circle ?
  • Options
    MattW said:

dr_spyn said:

Healing is knowledge.

https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1298166916574523392

Good day to bury bad news...

What's the bad news they are trying to bury, or what are they burying this under?

This by the BM seems as effective as giving money voluntarily to a mugger in the hope that they will go away.

Will the Tate be similarly brain-addled with Nick Serota as boss?
    From the article, it seems firing up the outrage bus is premature:

"The museum said in a statement that the bust "has been redisplayed in the Enlightenment Gallery juxtaposed with objects that reflect that Sloane's collection was created in the context of the British Empire and the slave economy.

"The display acknowledges that Sloane's travels and collecting in colonial Jamaica used enslaved Africans and explores the fact that his collecting was partly financed from the labour of enslaved Africans on his wife’s sugar plantations."
  • Options

No you see some speeches were made and contradictory stuff was said but we definitely voted to leave the SM and CU despite the latter never being mentioned until we'd voted (from my recollection - and I'm a politics nut)
    The latter was mentioned. Johnson and others were explicit that if we vote to leave the EU we'd be voting to take control of being able to make free trade deals. That is explicitly saying we would leave the CU.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Good to kno w I didn’t imagine it.
  • Options
    This empire/proms brouhaha looks to me to be a distraction from the Brexit talks (Which don't seem to be going well) and the various schools u-turns/cock ups.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wondered if they were one and the same. But the language and sense of person's age dictate otherwise.
  • Options

The latter was mentioned. Johnson and others were explicit that if we vote to leave the EU we'd be voting to take control of being able to make free trade deals. That is explicitly saying we would leave the CU.
    If somebody voted to leave based on Fysh's Tweet, what say you
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    tlg86 said:

Having lunch in Spoons. Guy on the door won’t let people in who are wearing a mask, which I think makes sense. Either they think they might have it or they are worried they might get it. Either way they shouldn’t be going into a pub.

That anecdote says more about Wetherspoons than about those wearing masks. Not in a good way.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Pulpstar said:

No, he is not Epping Forest. I only meet other Essex Tories at the odd dinner and have never met him
  • Options

The Single Market was a large part of what we voted on five years ago. If you wanted to stay in the Single Market you should have voted for Remain. All leading campaigners on both sides of the fence were absolutely explicit that leaving the EU was a vote to leave the Single Market.

And please don't share that discredited fake news video of out of context quotes that has been humiliatingly torn apart and discredited that tried to show the opposite.

From Hard Brexiteer Owen Paterson:

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2015/01/owen-paterson-mp-why-ukip-is-wrong-about-immigration.html

It is critical to remember that the economic single market and the political EU are not one and the same thing. We can participate in the market as members of the European Economic Area without being saddled with the EU as a political project. Those, such as the business chiefs of the CBI, who confuse the memberships of the single market and the EU are making a basic error and misleading the British people.

This is where UKIP is wrong. Desperate to control immigration from the EU, the party has rejected continued membership of the single market within the EEA – which would place our economy at risk. In fact, as a member of the EEA but not the EU, we would not be bound by the European Court of Justice and its rulings on our benefits system. But, crucially, we could introduce “Safeguard Measures”, giving us an “emergency brake” on excessive migration – an option not available to us in the EU. We would get the benefits to business and the economy of free movement, with real power over our borders.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

My view on masks in schools is that we are taking a big risk on a second virus peak on children going back to school due to the sheer number of social interactions in that environment. I also think we need to make school work, which means being rigorous on hygiene everywhere - masks in schools, yes - but also in pubs etc. We have zero headroom on this virus.

Masks in schools seems a no brainer.

Wearing masks as a mitigating factor while reintroducing activities is a pretty benign intervention.

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    FF43 said:

The are seven conditions killing more people than coronavirus in our country at the moment.

count them.
  • Options

That they're a weirdo freak and why didn't they pay more attention to the leaders of the campaign like Johnson who was utterly unequivocal and explicit?
  • Options
    So when the Vote Leave website says the above quote, are we supposed to ignore it or what
  • Options

That they're a weirdo freak and why didn't they pay more attention to the leaders of the campaign like Johnson who was utterly unequivocal and explicit?
    So no answer then ok
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

'You wouldn't know them, they go to another school.'
  • Options

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2015/01/owen-paterson-mp-why-ukip-is-wrong-about-immigration.html

It is critical to remember that the economic single market and the political EU are not one and the same thing. We can participate in the market as members of the European Economic Area without being saddled with the EU as a political project. Those, such as the business chiefs of the CBI, who confuse the memberships of the single market and the EU are making a basic error and misleading the British people.

This is where UKIP is wrong. Desperate to control immigration from the EU, the party has rejected continued membership of the single market within the EEA – which would place our economy at risk. In fact, as a member of the EEA but not the EU, we would not be bound by the European Court of Justice and its rulings on our benefits system. But, crucially, we could introduce “Safeguard Measures”, giving us an “emergency brake” on excessive migration – an option not available to us in the EU. We would get the benefits to business and the economy of free movement, with real power over our borders.
    Was January 2015 before or during the Referendum campaign? 🙄

During the Referendum campaign the Leavers like Johnson united behind a proposal under Vote Leave and others like Farage united under an alternate one called Leave.EU and both were explicit and unequivocal that we would leave the Single Market.

Michael Gove, Andrea Leadsom and Boris Johnson all explicitly said in the days before the vote on the BBC at prime time that we would leave the Single Market. No ifs, no buts, no equivocation. If you didn't understand that then don't cry now - if you did understand that but don't like it then tough.
  • Options
    I still believe EEA is the most sensible relationship
  • Options

So no answer then ok
    I would guess similar answers were given my multiple Tory leave voting MPs when asked.
  • Options

So no answer then ok
    I gave an answer. I couldn't care less about Fysh and my answer is that Johnson was explicit, Johnson (not Fysh) was a leader of Vote Leave and Johnson is Prime Minister.

That is an answer.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

I wondered if they were one and the same. But the language and sense of person's age dictate otherwise.
    If there's a tweet from Master Radley mentioning 'diehard remainers' or 'including don't knows', case closed.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:
    Neither Canneloni nor Tortelini is a pasta shape
    True, if you're being pedantic, the shape is manicotti.

But then again if you were being pedantic, you'd have correctly spelled cannelloni.
  • Options

What advantages do you see in EEA that you do not see via Remaining?

What makes you prefer EEA over Remaining or would you prefer to Remain?

What advantages do you see in Brexit and how does EEA achieve them?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

Having lunch in Spoons. Guy on the door won’t let people in who are wearing a mask, which I think makes sense. Either they think they might have it or they are worried they might get it. Either way they shouldn’t be going into a pub.

That anecdote says more about Wetherspoons than about those wearing masks. Not in a good way.
    People were still wearing them inside, and they weren't getting chucked out or anything.

But I can understand them explaining to people that you don't have to wear a mask and that they shouldn't expect others to do so.
  • Options

So when the Vote Leave website says the above quote, are we supposed to ignore it or what

Vote Leave said we would leave the Single Market but get a trade deal. We're still trying to get a trade deal.
  • Options

Apparently anything said by individuals before the vote doesn’t count and didn’t influence the result.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

I am also not proud of the Empire as such, I am not ashamed of it either but my views would be closer to those Gallowgate posted earlier on that than his
  • Options

During the Referendum campaign the Leavers like Johnson united behind a proposal under Vote Leave and others like Farage united under an alternate one called Leave.EU and both were explicit and unequivocal that we would leave the Single Market.

Michael Gove, Andrea Leadsom and Boris Johnson all explicitly said in the days before the vote on the BBC at prime time that we would leave the Single Market. No ifs, no buts, no equivocation. If you didn't understand that then don't cry now - if you did understand that but don't like it then tough.
    https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1110452473037275136
  • Options
    We can't Remain Philip, we left months ago
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

dr_spyn said:

Actually credit goes to @isam who identified a while back that Favourable ratings were historically more accurate than Net Favourables - which makes sense considering votes vote for a party and not against one.

Plus of course Johnson is polling as good or better than he was in approval ratings still today than he was before he won his landslide 80 seat majority.
    Have you got data to support that?

• Options
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

People were still wearing them inside, and they weren't getting chucked out or anything.

But I can understand them explaining to people that you don't have to wear a mask and that they shouldn't expect others to do so.
    That's different to not letting people in who are wearing them, that makes no sense.

Wearing one while you go through crowded passages like doorways and corridors until you sit at a table make sense. Telling people they don't need to is different to saying they're not allowed to.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    London Scottish.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I would also be interested to see
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

No sorry but @isam did charts about it a while back that showed it. I don't want to take credit for his work and I didn't save his charts but it would make a very interesting Guest Article if you're interested in publishing it and if he's happy to write it up? I think he's done a Guest Article for you before so maybe you or @TheScreamingEagles could speak with him about it?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

What advantages do you see in EEA that you do not see via Remaining?

What makes you prefer EEA over Remaining or would you prefer to Remain?

What advantages do you see in Brexit and how does EEA achieve them?
    It does not really matter as on today's Survation there would be a hung parliament and Starmer would likely become PM and take us back into the EEA thanks to the support of over 50 SNP MPs and all the other minor parties.

However if Scotland went before 2024 then the Tories would still win a comfortable majority on the same poll so we would not go back to the EEA and either stay with a basic FTA with the EU or WTO terms.

So in effect whether we return to the EEA depends entirely on whether Scotland is still in the UK by the next general election or not regardless of the arguments for or against EEA here
  • Options

Yes, the referendum question has been fulfilled. Now with that democratic mandate fully satisfied, time to choose the best economic course for Britain.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

No sorry but @isam did charts about it a while back that showed it. I don't want to take credit for his work and I didn't save his charts but it would make a very interesting Guest Article if you're interested in publishing it and if he's happy to write it up? I think he's done a Guest Article for you before so maybe you or @TheScreamingEagles could speak with him about it?
    Please link to the post in question.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Wearing masks as a mitigating factor while reintroducing activities is a pretty benign intervention.

Grauniad feed has just linked to this report implying a complete u-turn

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-exclusive-england-set-u-turn-masks-schools

"The government is set to make a major U-turn by announcing that wearing face masks will be near-mandatory in communal areas of secondary schools, according to sources.

Tes understands that both Public Health England and the Department for Education have signed off on this new policy."
  • Options
    Scottish 5 year olds might be wearing masks.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-25/secondary-school-students-in-scotland-to-start-wearing-face-coverings-in-corridors-and-communal-areas

I'm not sure how many 5 year olds are on school buses, but it will be damn hard to get them to do it every day.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

What are they mitigating against? Whitty has said Children are in no danger whatever.

Once again we have the government's double bind instructions. Schools are safe, except they aren't. Children are safe, but they might not be. Transport is safe, but be careful. You should definitely go back to work NOW, but watch out! Nightclubs should be open, but only if you don;t do the one thing they exist for. To cop off. Social clubs can open, but no socialising. Contact sports, but no contact. Have fun, but no funny business.

There are a thousand more examples.

Its absurd and Insane, and what it stems from is total cowardice and a complete lack of leadership.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, the referendum question has been fulfilled. Now with that democratic mandate fully satisfied, time to choose the best economic course for Britain.
    Course or curse?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

tlg86 said:

That's different to not letting people in who are wearing them, that makes no sense.

Wearing one while you go through crowded passages like doorways and corridors until you sit at a table make sense. Telling people they don't need to is different to saying they're not allowed to.
    I think there's too much focus on space and not enough on time. I reckon you're more likely to catch it being sat in a pub or a class room for a couple of hours rather than walking through a corridor.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940

I’ve been thrown out of Huddersfield Wetherspoons. Was quite the low point.

We have two - which one? Cherry Tree or Lord Wilson.
  • Options
    Straight from Gove himself. Even has a big Vote Leave banner behind him.
  • Options

Yes and Gove is still seeking that same free trade agreement.

You are aware that a free trade agreement is not the same as the Single Market, are you not?

David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Andrea Leadsom, Micheal Gove, Boris Johnson and George Osborne all explicitly said that leaving the EU was leaving the Single Market.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlF9STvLeDQ

Andrew Marr: Let me ask you, just before we leave the
    economics actually, a very simple question I have tried to get an
    answer to from various people on your side – is should we or
    should we not be inside the single market? Do you want us to
    stay inside the single market? Yes or no.

Michael Gove: No. We should be outside the single market.
  • Options

You are aware that a free trade agreement is not the same as the Single Market, are you not?
    He's referring to an existing free trade area that stretches from Iceland to the Russian border. What could that possibly mean other than the EEA?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Straight from Gove himself. Even has a big Vote Leave banner behind him.
    Yes he says we should trade with Europe, he still is saying that. That's not a case of being in the Single Market that he explicitly said we should leave - you do understand the difference don't you?
  • Options
    slade said:

Can’t remember - was too hammered.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Poor ratings for Boris, related to the news on his retirement at some point next year as well I'm sure. Whilst his positive ratings were in the low to mid 40s his pool of voters was large enough to win an election, now with them dropping it isn't. I'd say Boris has a potential pool of voters of 56% of the electorate while Starmer can reach 75% of the electorate, that alone is beginning to tell in the headline VI.

This is before the Treasury starts to unwind what has made life easy for everyone. I'm not sure what will happen to the VI once the furlough has ended and a million or more people are moved to JSA and forced to find new work in fields they have no skills or training in. It may work out that this ends up like 2010-2019 and jobs are created out of the ashes of of a huge crash, but the people affected by it won't thank the government.
  • Options

David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Andrea Leadsom, Micheal Gove, Boris Johnson and George Osborne all explicitly said that leaving the EU was leaving the Single Market.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlF9STvLeDQ

Andrew Marr: Let me ask you, just before we leave the
    economics actually, a very simple question I have tried to get an
    answer to from various people on your side – is should we or
    should we not be inside the single market? Do you want us to
    stay inside the single market? Yes or no.

Michael Gove: No. We should be outside the single market.
    Andrea Leadsom didn't say we would 100% be outside, in your own video
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2020

'You wouldn't know them, they go to another school.'
    I think he meant the voices in his head.

The same ones which argued over whether to leave or remain. The EU, that is.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Poor ratings for Boris, related to the news on his retirement at some point next year as well I'm sure. Whilst his positive ratings were in the low to mid 40s his pool of voters was large enough to win an election, now with them dropping it isn't. I'd say Boris has a potential pool of voters of 56% of the electorate while Starmer can reach 75% of the electorate, that alone is beginning to tell in the headline VI.

This is before the Treasury starts to unwind what has made life easy for everyone. I'm not sure what will happen to the VI once the furlough has ended and a million or more people are moved to JSA and forced to find new work in fields they have no skills or training in. It may work out that this ends up like 2010-2019 and jobs are created out of the ashes of of a huge crash, but the people affected by it won't thank the government.

Fascinating times ahead Max
  • Options

slade said:

Can’t remember - was too hammered.
    I was once refuse entry to the club across the road from the Woking Spoons on the grounds that I was too drunk. I can assure you that takes some doing.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

Scott_xP said:
    Up for that, would invite Manchester along too.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Presumably Mr Johnson has been ordered* to make his timeline clear? He gets to see Brexit throuigh but also becomes the convenient scapegoat for the assorted manure heaps accumulating on the path for the next 6 months?

*By whom is a good question.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

MaxPB said:

Fascinating times ahead Max
    Ther'e evidence from back benchers comments the tories are more worried about the 1-4 points they are losing to the BP than the 30-odd starmer is getting.

Its the former that's going to lose them their seats.
This discussion has been closed.