Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    eek said:

One for TSE and Cyclefree

https://twitter.com/davidmwessel/status/1298226154801901568

Mind you it does answer the question who on earth would want to take over the complete mess that is Deutsche Bank

That McKinsey due diligence on their client went well, then .......
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    How about a betting market for next chairman of the BBC. Clementi steps down in February. A very political appointment. The Times is flying kites.
  • Options
    Bizarre Johnson can show leadership on a non-story yet schools and COVID he is forever MIA
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    I’ve been thrown out of Huddersfield Wetherspoons. Was quite the low point.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't believe it and hope it doesn't happen, though if it does then Rishi for his successor please!

My £20 bet at 250/1 with Ladbrokes on Sunak for next PM really requires an early exit by Johnson
    I'm not sure it does, there's every chance the Tories might squeak home in the next election - with Johnson deciding to retire in say 2026. I think Sunak is in the frame for next Tory leader whatever happens - there's a danger of Starmer scuppering the bet via election but it's not nailed on.
    I’m afraid labour have no chance while the likes of Long Bailey remain as a reminder of how low they reached with Corbyn.
    Wasn't Long Bailey sacked?!
    Yes but still an MP
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    dr_spyn said:
    I doubt it. Boris is back on the campaign trail in Appledore today. Working like a true grafter in a hard hat and hi-viz jacket.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On topic - Is it really appropriate to compare the Prime Minister to a randy stallion ?

Indeed.
    A horse's arse would be more appropriate.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

On the contrary, probably a compliment.
  • Options
    eek said:

Mind you it does answer the question who on earth would want to take over the complete mess that is Deutsche Bank

I AM SHOCKED!

Next you'll be telling me Deutsche Bank have a deep and meaningful relationship with Donald Trump.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti
    I am not going to comment on this other than to say it would be “circoli di spaghetti” except nothing so horrible would be eaten by any Italian with taste.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

What did you do? Try to order chips with no sauce, or ask for a lager?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

Having lunch in Spoons. Guy on the door won’t let people in who are wearing a mask, which I think makes sense. Either they think they might have it or they are worried they might get it. Either way they shouldn’t be going into a pub.

If you are stood up in a pub you should have a mask on, ridiculous to turn people away who are being careful, but then what else do you expect from Tim Martin and weatherspoons....
    Cheap beer and inedible food ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

On topic - Is it really appropriate to compare the Prime Minister to a randy stallion ?

I hope PBers don't rise to that
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

What did you do?

Drink too much refillable coffee?
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

Yes but still an MP

Agreed though, still room for further improvement
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Did he have a bridge for sale as well? Netanyahu would be as likely to buy that as a two state solution.
    Two state as a concept is essentially dead, given the situation on the ground. A federal one-state with considerable autonomy for the areas of significant non-Jewish population, equal rights and participation in the state, whilst leaving Israel in control of security and foreign affairs is now a far more realistic objective.
    It may be more realistic, but would be (a) unacceptable to the Palestinians and (b) still leaves unresolved the question of Gaza, which for demographic reason would certainly be excluded from any single state solution.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Having lunch in Spoons. Guy on the door won’t let people in who are wearing a mask, which I think makes sense. Either they think they might have it or they are worried they might get it. Either way they shouldn’t be going into a pub.

Going to ‘spoons should see you cancelled.
    I thought mentioning Spoons would trigger some people on here.

I give Spoons a better chance of surviving than many other chains.
    So do I.

Price wise they seem to be much better than their competitors.

Full disclosure, I too have been in a Wetherspoons. Just the once.
    They vary in quality. The one in Woking is the town’s one redeeming feature. It’s one big building site and quite frankly they’d have been better off levelling the place to the ground and starting from scratch.
    The thing that always put me off Wetherspoons was the one in Piccadilly Gardens, the only I've ever seen anything kick off majorly* in Manchester was people fighting outside/getting kicked out of that 'Spoons.

*Excluding the time the Glaswegians trashed Manchester in 2008.
    ** Brittanic Glaswegians.
    Either way they were the most savage Scots to come to England since Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham hired those Scots in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to trash Sherwood Forest.
    Just needed one of BJ's water cannons loaded up with holy water, problem solved.
    I've been wonderingf when someone would start going on about Rangers FC Vs Manc City Centre.
    You don't forget episodes like that.

I was staying at the Novotel on Portland Street/Dickinson Street that night.
  • Options
    "Bowlers run up brown and muddy"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why? Is the stallion threatening to sue?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

So do I.

They vary in quality. The one in Woking is the town’s one redeeming feature. It’s one big building site and quite frankly they’d have been better off levelling the place to the ground and starting from scratch.
    The thing that always put me off Wetherspoons was the one in Piccadilly Gardens, the only I've ever seen anything kick off majorly* in Manchester was people fighting outside/getting kicked out of that 'Spoons.

Either way they were the most savage Scots to come to England since Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham hired those Scots in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to trash Sherwood Forest.
    I had the ‘pleasure’ of being at Wembley for the 1-0 win by Scotland. In amongst the away fans, at the final whistle I removed the tartan scarf from my Scots (though very English sounding) girlfriend, put it around my neck, and explained that they would never hit a woman. It worked.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

I've never even been in a Wetherspoons, so a challenge to be thrown out of one.....
  • Options

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

So do I.

Just needed one of BJ's water cannons loaded up with holy water, problem solved.
    I've been wonderingf when someone would start going on about Rangers FC Vs Manc City Centre.
    You don't forget episodes like that.

I was staying at the Novotel on Portland Street/Dickinson Street that night.
    Quite so. I assume you do know the political irony involved.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    edited August 2020
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti
    I am not going to comment on this other than to say it would be “circoli di spaghetti” except nothing so horrible would be eaten by any Italian with taste.

Circoli (il circolo) is more a circle as in a social circle, whereas il cerchio is a hoop.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    HYUFD said:
    A bad 'betrayal brexit,' and he is back in business.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Scott_xP said:

"I didn't want this culture war", says leader of "Use Culture War to Win" Party...

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1298233236204793857

Good for Boris - he's absolutely right.
    Indeed, an excellent haddock to the chops of the wokeists :smile:
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    I'm seriously tempted to try and get to that Istanbul grand prix...
  • Options

Who are Brown and Muddy and why are the bowlers running up them?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1297910674367172610?s=20

Confident forward-looking nations don’t obsess about shite like this.

Dowden reminds me of a kid we used to mercilessly (and deservedly) bully at boarding school. I remember the time he came into a maths lesson swaddled in a towel then announced in his piping and querelous voice: "Sir! Sir! Dura_Ace has my trousers."
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    edited August 2020
    On Topic: if Sir Humphrey is so keen on the horses, may be he sniffed a chheky betting opportunity and is happily laying Mr. Smithson's bets.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dowden reminds me of a kid we used to mercilessly (and deservedly) bully at boarding school. I remember the time he came into a maths lesson swaddled in a towel then announced in his piping and querelous voice: "Sir! Sir! Dura_Ace has my trousers."
    What had you doine with his bags?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Brown and Muddy are the batsmen. The bowler is called Run-Up
  • Options
    Can someone nominate this from 23.8.20 as betting post of the decade!!

BETTING POST

Draw in Test 3.6 is far too high IMO

I think day 5 will be completely washed out and day 4 will be badly interrupted too. So how long will it take England to get 17 wkts

I reckon they have 120 overs left (70 today, 50 tomorrow, zero on day5) in the last 3 days which may be enough but wheras a home win would be a virtual certainty with 270 overs its not in less than half that.

Anyway i am taking a chance that the weather is bad enougn to make the draw a tighter than 3.6 chance.

DYOR
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

Circoli (il circolo) is more a circle as in a social circle, whereas il cerchio is a hoop.
    Neither are eaten - not in my circoli, anyway. 🙂
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

If Johnson does quit in six months it would be entirely typical of the man. No Deal Brexit would be in full swing with Kent a lorry park, empty supermarket shelves and pharmacies struggling with meds. Time to head off.

What better time for the architect of this disaster to take up his new role as editor of the Telegraph?

Again, no, no, no. Nothing at all in Boris's biography marks him out as a Kevin Keegan style quitter. Faithlessness in role, for sure, quitting, not so much.

That he has had a barely broken relationship with the Telegraph group since the first few months of his working life, that his last marriage, somehow, lasted north of 20 years, that his being an elected representative of the Tory party for a similar length of time, that EU friction has sustained him since day 1.

Boris doesn't typically leave you, he clings on and clings on pretending nothing is wrong until, ultimately, you leave Boris.

If he wished, he could pretty much guarantee being in office till 2024 by using whip withdrawal to keep the numbers of 1922 letters down, but still have Tory in all but name only MPs to avoid No Confidence even without formal majority.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

You mean, like the famous time Brian Johnston declared ‘the bowler’s Holding the batsman’s Willey?’
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We’d never swallow anything like that.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Is Tortellini a "shape"? It's more a concept, surely.
    There's a gap in the market for Mobius strips of pasta.....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

What does that say about nations that obsess about people obsessing about shite like this?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited August 2020
    Actually they toned it down after 9/11 just like the BBC did for that year's proms.

I also think it was pulled because we had just launched the liberation of Afghanistan, so they wanted a sober atmosphere.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Too much information...
  • Options

Actually they toned it down after 9/11 just like the BBC did for that year's proms.

I also think it was pulled because we had just launched the liberation of Afghanistan, so they wanted a sober atmosphere.

And the BBC are removing the singing because of corona, so why do the Tories get context and the BBC do not
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

Plus “per” means “for” rather than “of”. A hoop for spaghetti. It really should be pasta hoops.

Though it really shouldn’t ....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

eek said:

I AM SHOCKED!

Next you'll be telling me Deutsche Bank have a deep and meaningful relationship with Donald Trump.
    An also, in a completely unrelated fact, a deep and meaningful relationship with many high net worth Russians.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stolen them and stuffed them up a chimney for a laugh.
  • Options
    Johnson one-upping Starmer there
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Too much information...
    But puns about your organ are ok ......?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

eek said:

I AM SHOCKED!

An also, in a completely unrelated fact, a deep and meaningful relationship with many high net worth Russians.
    I need to lie down after that revelation.
  • Options

BETTING POST

I think day 5 will be completely washed out and day 4 will be badly interrupted too. So how long will it take England to get 17 wkts

I reckon they have 120 overs left (70 today, 50 tomorrow, zero on day5) in the last 3 days which may be enough but wheras a home win would be a virtual certainty with 270 overs its not in less than half that.

Anyway i am taking a chance that the weather is bad enougn to make the draw a tighter than 3.6 chance.

DYOR

Given all the dropped catches, the Universe might come back into balance with an Anderson hat-trick... Then it's squeaky bum time!
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't believe it and hope it doesn't happen, though if it does then Rishi for his successor please!

My £20 bet at 250/1 with Ladbrokes on Sunak for next PM really requires an early exit by Johnson
    I'm not sure it does, there's every chance the Tories might squeak home in the next election - with Johnson deciding to retire in say 2026. I think Sunak is in the frame for next Tory leader whatever happens - there's a danger of Starmer scuppering the bet via election but it's not nailed on.
    I’m afraid labour have no chance while the likes of Long Bailey remain as a reminder of how low they reached with Corbyn.
    She was given a job for the purposes of sacking her!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Neither Canneloni nor Tortelini is a pasta shape
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

What does that say about nations that obsess about people obsessing about shite like this?
    Dunno which nation you mean, unless it's that figment of reactionaries' fearful imaginations, the Nation of Woke.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

Plus “per” means “for” rather than “of”. A hoop for spaghetti. It really should be pasta hoops.

The "add water and microwave" pasta from Aldi at about 3p are surprisingly scrummy as the base of a meal.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

The "add water and microwave" pasta from Aldi at about 3p are surprisingly scrummy as the base of a meal.
    Please stop breaking my heart.

Pasta is so easy to cook well and so delicious when it is, why muck around with it?

It’s the whole “English turning coffee into Ovaltine” shtick again, isn’t it?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Too much information...
    Nobody is asked to swallow my organ. Merely admire it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options
    MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

No such thing as a deserving victim of bullying, even in jest.

Stop being a prick.
    Stop bullying me.
  • Options
    Survation

4 point lead, smallest for Survation in a while
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Too much information...
    Do you share these organ comments with the vicar? Or are you the vicar?
  • Options

Survation

Nah, they had it as a 2% lead in June.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Too much information...
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Too much information...
    Do you share these organ comments with the vicar? Or are you the vicar?
    Which one? I play in three parishes.

Edit - I love the way I get quoted twice there!
  • Options

Survation

I'm wrong as always
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

You mean, like the famous time Brian Johnston declared ‘the bowler’s Holding the batsman’s Willey?’
    Willey did bowl a bit, but I presume it was never the otherway round "The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey"(?)
    Once the West Indies tail got in, the front line bowlers were queing up to finally pick up a couple of easy wickets.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

So do I.

Blue moon to blue nose.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

My feelings exactly.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

Willey did bowl a bit, but I presume it was never the otherway round "The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey"(?)
    Once the West Indies tail got in, the front line bowlers were queing up to finally pick up a couple of easy wickets.
    Not so long ago, of course, it could have been ‘The commentator’s Holding the umpire’s Willey.’

Now that really would have raised eyebrows...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

Pasta is so easy to cook well and so delicious when it is, why muck around with it?

Pasta is evil. Rice, OTOH .... ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

That McKinsey due diligence on their client went well, then .......
    I'm sure that they had a concept and a vision and... other stuff.
  • Options
    It’s pretty obvious to everyone looking objectively that Britain is not a confident and forward-looking nation.

I feel that Scottish Independence, in essence the dismantling of the last remnant of Empire - the British state itself - is needed for everyone to get a reality check and to move on.
  • Options
    Starmer neutral +8 lol
  • Options

BETTING POST

DYOR

Given all the dropped catches, the Universe might come back into balance with an Anderson hat-trick... Then it's squeaky bum time!
    True in which case can you nominate my comment as hubris of the decade and this from 13/8/20 for betting post of the decade instead!!

Betting Post - Weather forecast rain for all 5 days of Test

Cant see anything but a draw. 3 days lost out of 5

Draw 2.08 Betfair

DYOR
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

Lovely with a nice blob of strawberry jam.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    That BJ photo is the one used on the Parody Boris Johnson Twitter account! I always assumed the photo was a Boris lookie-likie as all other photos of him look somewhat different.
  • Options

BETTING POST

DYOR

True in which case can you nominate my comment as hubris of the decade and this from 13/8/20 for betting post of the decade instead!!

Betting Post - Weather forecast rain for all 5 days of Test

Cant see anything but a draw. 3 days lost out of 5

Draw 2.08 Betfair

DYOR
    Why couldn’t it have gone to Taunton where it was needed? :rage:
  • Options

Survation

I'm wrong as always
    Thats unfair you are sometimes right.

Unlike Dan Hodges
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stolen them and stuffed them up a chimney for a laugh.
    You were a wag right enough
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

Not so long ago, of course, it could have been ‘The commentator’s Holding the umpire’s Willey.’

Didn't we recently see

Wood caught De Kock bowled Philander
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

I'm seriously tempted to try and get to that Istanbul grand prix...
    No spectators at any races this season.
  • Options

Survation

I'm wrong as always
    Thats unfair you are sometimes right.

Unlike Dan Hodges
    No no, I am always wrong
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    SNP, who only stand in Scotland, get 5% of the GB voting intention.
    LibDems, who stand in almost every GB constituency, 9%.
  • Options
    All wars mean firing up your own troops by any means necessary, the culture war isn't any different.

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1297855702002741249?s=20

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1297855702929743873?s=20
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Scott_xP said:
    I’ll take the 9% for the Lib Dems, a good platform for Ed to build on
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think they've been level pegging (6%) in a couple of polls.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

Nice one! I hadn't realised that.
  • Options
    We should be neither ashamed nor proud of the Empire. It was what it was - a product of its time.

It’s something none of us alive today had any hand in building.
  • Options

All wars mean firing up your own troops by any means necessary, the culture war isn't any different.

Shall I reply to him and ask him is he really proud of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Fysh is an ignorant arse, thick as pig shit and lier to boot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,144

Shall I reply to him and ask him is he really proud of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?
    He'll probably accuse you of wanting to kneel to the French.

https://twitter.com/Will_Radley/status/1297847165939834880
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The scientifically illiterate World Health Organisation says 12-year-olds (and up) should wear masks. Teachers too.
    https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-children-and-masks-related-to-covid-19
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cerchi per spaghetti

Lovely with a nice blob of strawberry jam.
    I prefer a Szechan sauce myself... :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.