Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1296797664865071105

The idea we have avoided a second wave is for the birds

Look at hospital numbers not postive cases
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,573

It looks increasingly like no deal sadly
    It's not no deal, it's no trade deal, and in my opinion, it's not sadly.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,438

ydoethur said:

Arrived at my GP surgery to have a nurse look at my surgery wound. My god they are useless.

No instructions sent prior. It appears that you are supposed to wait outside in a line until a nurse comes out to get you. This is despite me keeling over with a meaty stomach wound. This information blew their mind.

I’m now sitting in the porch whilst person after person comes to the door having no idea whats going on, whilst I listen to 4 reception staff having a rather ignorant convo about lesbians.

Absolute disgrace from top to bottom.

Mine are so hapless they don’t even know how to write a prescription.

Fortunately the summer holidays have done wonders for my stress related illness.
    What has been going on in Local Surgeries over the past 5 months has been an absolute disgrace. Many just saw Covid as a reason to send everyone away and do nothing.
    These were supposed to be the people in charge of running the NHS with the care commissioning groups, if I remember the original intent of the Lansley reforms. I suppose we should be thankful that things were not even worse.
  • Options

Exactly.
    5 live this am was saying 95% of England are at just 0 - 2 cases so any rise surely must be in localised areas and communities that will need to impliment stricter measures
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Tory U-turn on evictions, Labour win again!

The question is: why should landlords provide a service if they're not being paid for it?
    Speaking as a landlord who provides such a service:

Because there’s a hell of a difference between saying somebody can’t use a taxi and making someone homeless.

The knock on effects of mass evictions would be far graver than landlords - most of whom, let’s be fair, are not short of a few bob - losing a couple of months’ rent.

Moreover, even just looking in the short term, we don’t want thousands of people milling around in confusion in shared accommodation in the middle of a pandemic.
    On top of which most of those landlords will have mortgages to pay on those properties and I believe that they got given mortgage holidays so they would not be impacted by someone unable to pay rent due to lack of money because of lockdown.

I think its fair quid pro quo that they get the benefit of a mortgage holiday they pass on some of that benefit, It is not like the rent won't have to be paid in the end
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

ydoethur said:

Arrived at my GP surgery to have a nurse look at my surgery wound. My god they are useless.

No instructions sent prior. It appears that you are supposed to wait outside in a line until a nurse comes out to get you. This is despite me keeling over with a meaty stomach wound. This information blew their mind.

I’m now sitting in the porch whilst person after person comes to the door having no idea whats going on, whilst I listen to 4 reception staff having a rather ignorant convo about lesbians.

Fortunately the summer holidays have done wonders for my stress related illness.
    What has been going on in Local Surgeries over the past 5 months has been an absolute disgrace. Many just saw Covid as a reason to send everyone away and do nothing.
    These were supposed to be the people in charge of running the NHS with the care commissioning groups, if I remember the original intent of the Lansley reforms. I suppose we should be thankful that things were not even worse.
    I find it disgusting that you can go and sit in a crowded restaurant on a Monday but if you are ill the chances of getting a face to face appointment with a Doctor at a Surgery are slim.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Boris is on paternity leave, you know the thing the left insist on but never mind he does not count

I want Boris moved on but at the same time the hypocrisy of the left shines through without fail
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    edited August 2020

Exactly.
    5 live this am was saying 95% of England are at just 0 - 2 cases so any rise surely must be in localised areas and communities that will need to impliment stricter measures
    It had better be. Ministers need to get a grip and develop some sense of proportion on all this. Urgently. Stop listening to Ferguson for a start.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,703
    ydoethur said:

Somebody must be to blame for that, Mr Ydoethur. Perhaps the culprits are their teachers, especially those who teach STEM subjects, which are so beloved by our Conservative leaders. If they had been taught by teachers of proper subjects - such as History - I have no doubt that they would have learned how to write by now - even prescriptions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

It looks increasingly like no deal sadly
    "Brexit means Brexit" (except when it comes to fisheries....)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The man nearly died, had a newborn baby and returned to work all within the same month.

What a terrible lazy individual to take a holiday later in the year after the lockdown had been lifted 🙄
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I find it disgusting that you can go and sit in a crowded restaurant on a Monday but if you are ill the chances of getting a face to face appointment with a Doctor at a Surgery are slim.
    We have no problem once triaged and have had appointments with the doctor, nurse or physio, entirely safely over the last six months

The whole system in our surgery is excellent
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Argh, sorry to hear this. GPs round here seem equally hopeless, and repeat prescriptions are an absolute farce. (After this is over there may need to be a conversation about GP accountability.)

I hope your recovery is as smooth as possible.

--AS
    Here in Spain for repeat prescription you call for a tele appointment - they call at a set time and 6month repeat done automatically. You can also get face to face appointments as needed.
  • Options

Exactly.
    It had better be. Ministers need to get a grip and develop some sense of proportion on all this. Urgently. Stop listening to Ferguson for a start.
    Actually I think they are doing quite well at present and handing power down power to LA's to organise the safeguarding is the right thing to do and as evidenced this morning in Oldham
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,462
    This seems on trend

'The British government's health ministry says it has no record whatsoever of its shambolic attempt to import life-saving personal protective equipment (PPE) for health workers from Turkey at the height of the coronavirus crisis.'

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/uk-turkey-ppe-health-ministry-no-files-fiasco
  • Options

ydoethur said:

We have no problem once triaged and have had appointments with the doctor, nurse or physio, entirely safely over the last six months

You are very lucky, I have dozens of examples of the complete opposite. Pharmicists have borne the brunt of Surgeries just sending people away.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Boris is on paternity leave, you know the thing the left insist on but never mind he does not count

I want Boris moved on but at the same time the hypocrisy of the left shines through without fail
    Should the PM take paternity leave?
  • Options

Exactly.
    It was like that in Spain about 8 weeks ago. My local town had 4 cases until 3 weeks ago - now 86 and growing. Much worse in our provincial capital and hour away. And it's back in old folks' homes so hospitalisations and deaths are back on the uptrend.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You are very lucky, I have dozens of examples of the complete opposite. Pharmicists have borne the brunt of Surgeries just sending people away.
    The system seems to be in place across North Wales and does give better access to the doctor and the phone lines are answered much quicker than previously

I expect this is a permanent move and recently we have been able to e mail and receive quick responses.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,439

This seems on trend

'The British government's health ministry says it has no record whatsoever of its shambolic attempt to import life-saving personal protective equipment (PPE) for health workers from Turkey at the height of the coronavirus crisis.'

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/uk-turkey-ppe-health-ministry-no-files-fiasco

Why would they particularly want PPE for health workers from Turkey? What about the rest of them?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The left will say everyone should unless it is a conservative PM
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,732

ydoethur said:

We can do an all day pub crawl through Bradford but my wife can't visit her mother or brothers. Don't expect coherence in the approach being taken.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Conservatives should get only a day for paternity leave. After all how long does it take to eat a baby (for info yes just being tongue in cheek)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,732

Scott_xP said:

Maybe a few paternity tests?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095

Scott_xP said:

In almost every other job, if one is taking paternity/maternity leave, someone is appointed to take on their responsibilities whilst they are away.

Who is currently exercising the powers and holding the responsibilities of the post of Prime Minister?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not necessary on this occasion
  • Options
    As usual, my experience with the actual nurse at the GP surgery was nothing short of exceptional.

My contempt for NHS admin and management people knows no bounds.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

In almost every other job, if one is taking paternity/maternity leave, someone is appointed to take on their responsibilities whilst they are away.

Who is currently exercising the powers and holding the responsibilities of the post of Prime Minister?
    Maybe this is one in the 'almost every job category'
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Oh of course - but it would make sense that if you were temporarily (and understandably) “off the clock”, then someone else should be in charge. Otherwise you invite the criticism of being asleep at the wheel.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,603
    ydoethur said:

This seems on trend

Why would they particularly want PPE for health workers from Turkey? What about the rest of them?
    IIRC this was mentioned at the time - the actual order was by an NHS Trust (I think) and the UK government got involved in trying to get it into the country. So the Health Ministry didn't have the actual order paperwork.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

We 'the left' are not an amorphous blob, but to me there are some roles and situations where taking leave is not acceptable. A prime minister should consider country above family.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited August 2020
    Crawley 101 Not out
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,288

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/crowfather1/status/1296693778397442049?s=20

https://twitter.com/Roger_Xanth_Day/status/1296817011830521858?s=20
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

We 'the left' are not an amorphous blob, but to me there are some roles and situations where taking leave is not acceptable. A prime minister should consider country above family.
    No, the Prime Minister should always be entitled to leave. They should however have a clear “deputy” to take the reigns whilst they have some down time.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/crowfather1/status/1296693778397442049?s=20

https://twitter.com/Roger_Xanth_Day/status/1296817011830521858?s=20
    What number girlfriend is he in?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Oh of course - but it would make sense that if you were temporarily (and understandably) “off the clock”, then someone else should be in charge. Otherwise you invite the criticism of being asleep at the wheel.
    I have no doubt Boris knows that
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No, the Prime Minister should always be entitled to leave.
    Agreed. And the sooner this one leaves, the better.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

We can do an all day pub crawl through Bradford but my wife can't visit her mother or brothers. Don't expect coherence in the approach being taken.
    The point is that Surgeries are just doing what they want, some are excellent and have opened their doors, others are still locked up.
  • Options
    England case data - scaled -

• Options
    England case data - absolute -

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I've still got it. But Crawley will be out in the next half hour.

Edit - it is sobering to reflect that all the other batsmen have scored just 84 runs between them on a pitch that doesn't look too tough for batting on. Without Crawley England really would be in strife. As it is, they're just not in a strong position.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Belgium functioned fine for a couple of years with no government at all. I hardly think a couple of weeks without a prime minister in no 10 is going to kill us. I am sure also that in the event of something occurring where a pm was absolutely necessary like switzerland declaring war on us that he would be whisked back quickly.

Frankly the more time all our mp's including ministers take off the less damage they can do.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That is just a political statement

All men qualify for paternity leave including prime ministers
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    England case data - summation

Interesting - The last peak is on the 17th. Which means that, by now, the data is fairly stable. The high point on the 10th was Northampton. Hmmmm. One to watch.

All this data is by specimen date, not reporting date.

Annoyingly, UK wide data is still not available by specimen date.

• Options
    I honestly feel like any Brexit deal impacts the Tory vote in some way, because Brexit is then defined and that either makes a lot of people very happy in which case 50% again, or it doesn't and below 40%
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,703

Scott_xP said:
    The man nearly died, had a newborn baby and returned to work all within the same month.
    hat a terrible lazy individual to take a holiday later in the year after the lockdown had been lifted 🙄
    But those are not very good excuses, are they? Either a person can do the work, or not. That is what we need from a prime minister, not lame excuses.

Not so long ago the Conservaive campaign was in full throttle complaining about "bed blockers". At the time, I thought they were referring to elderly politicians who were getting in the way of young aspiring politicians, those who are now in their 50s - the present Cabinet is full f them - who have in one case at least turned into a "bed blocker" himself. Time for Johnson to call it a day, I would have thought.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    edited August 2020
    "'We were already full': universities face nightmare of exams chaos and Covid-19"

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/21/universities-warn-of-pandemic-risk-if-upgraded-a-level-students-admitted
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Edit - it is sobering to reflect that all the other batsmen have scored just 84 runs between them on a pitch that doesn't look too tough for batting on. Without Crawley England really would be in strife. As it is, they're just not in a strong position.

I am sure I read a comment earlier England will struggle to get 200 but looks not too bad at 191 - 4
  • Options
    England is now down to 480 Covid positive in hospital. Thats 108 down in a week, around 20%

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare
  • Options
    PHE 28 day cut off number for all settings -

• Options

I honestly feel like any Brexit deal impacts the Tory vote in some way, because Brexit is then defined and that either makes a lot of people very happy in which case 50% again, or it doesn't and below 40%

Maybe even relieved
  • Options
    edited August 2020

ydoethur said:

I am sure I read a comment earlier England will struggle to get 200 but looks not too bad at 191 - 4
    Well, yes. Have you forgotten the way this works?

Although nothing will ever equal my extraordinary success in 2015, when I said Cook was mad to put the Aussies in.

At Trent Bridge.

Under cloud cover.

Ninety minutes and 8-15 from Broad later, and my status as England's go-to man was assured.
  • Options

England is now down to 480 Covid positive in hospital. Thats 108 down in a week, around 20%

That accounts for 0.0000086% of the population
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,147
    ydoethur said:

191/4 is hardly a bad position.

You and Eagles seem to luxuriate in predicting the worse for the England team.

There is much to be gained by betting the other way, usually.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Full up? That sounds racist to me.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Well, duh. When we predict the best, they screw up.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    You could not make this up
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    What's the difference between a coherent government policy on education and a manned mission landing on the sun?

One of them will never happen, the other will involve astronauts in some way.
  • Options
    Stats corner:

There are now only 480 Covidians in English hospitals.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

That is just a political statement

All men qualify for paternity leave including prime ministers
    Fine I'll authorise his leave! However I do still think that if you are prioritising centralising governance, it does help keep up appearances if the PM is in office doing the job. It isn't like there is nothing to be getting on with.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:
    What's the difference between a coherent government policy on education and a manned mission landing on the sun?

To be honest everyone involved in this have question to answer
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And the worse and they do well.

I know how it works now
  • Options

Indeed.

Seven in ten cases are asymptomatic; possibly the healthy rate is higher in this 'second wave'.

If people are infected but largely healthy, is the second wave a wave at all?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    edited August 2020

Andy_JS said:
    A way should have been found for exams to be held. It's not as if we don't have a lot of empty office space at the moment, for instance, if there was a problem with social distancing when organising them.

Now the knock-on effects of this fiasco are going to go on for years, probably also with endless enquiries and law suits costing millions.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    A way should have been found for exams to be held. It's not as if we don't have a lot of empty office space at the moment, for instance, if there was a problem with social distancing.

Now the knock-on effects of this fiasco are going to go on for years, probably also with endless enquiries and law suits costing millions.
    Security of the papers might have been an issue if they had been held off school premises (you would be surprised at the hoops we have to jump through on that).

But yes, they called off the exams too early.
  • Options
    felix said:

Argh, sorry to hear this. GPs round here seem equally hopeless, and repeat prescriptions are an absolute farce. (After this is over there may need to be a conversation about GP accountability.)

--AS
    Here in Spain for repeat prescription you call for a tele appointment - they call at a set time and 6month repeat done automatically. You can also get face to face appointments as needed.
    My GP surgery will *only* issue repeat prescriptions through an online form. Never over the phone. (This predates Covid.) The form has a "notes" section where you can ask for a change of dose etc -- but they never read it. In all the years I have been using it, never once has anything I wrote in the "notes" section been acted on. They generally won't give you an appointment to discuss a change of dose: you have to pretend to be ill to speak with the doctor.

They take forever to issue the prescription, and if it's urgent they tell you off for leaving it to the last few days. On the other hand if you try to re-order even one day early they ignore the request for being too early, and then don't tell you that they have ignored it. Nobody will speak to you about this and the receptionist, when you eventually get through, will say nothing except to use the online form and tell you off for wasting their time.

I take multiple medications, some of which need doses adjusting according to my condition, and if I miss a day I suffer serious consequences. I have seriously considered trying to acquire my medications (some of which are controlled) through a dodgy online overseas seller as it seems it would be a more reliable way to take care of my needs.

My GP himself is a charming and caring person. The same for my consultants. But the structure around them all is uncaring and harmful. During lockdown I did not clap for the NHS...

--AS
  • Options

Anyone breaking quarantine after their Dalmatian holiday is likely to be spotted.

Crawley 101 Not out

I got confused and thought this was a follow up to the previous comment.

Otherwise I was going to make a pun about how Sandy deserved to be put into Room 101.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    A way should have been found for exams to be held. It's not as if we don't have a lot of empty office space at the moment, for instance, if there was a problem with social distancing when organising them.

I could not agree more

This was a huge failure across all four nations and must never happen again
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No, duh, what you predict makes no difference to their performance.

It's a bit tiresome TBH.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

ydoethur said:

It seems to be the easiest pitch to bat on of the series - more of a 400 pitch than 300.

Historically, teams have made about half their runs by the time they lose their fourth wicket. We are on track to outperform that, but it does show that we're still behind the game.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Foxy said:

SECOND LIKE Trump...

But second in what? No good if it is the wrong thing.
    Well who could have predicted that?
    Dura_Ace said:

Just seen this in the Guardian.
    "On Friday the central Spanish region of Castilla-La Mancha is expected to go further by shutting a sector that has slipped through the cracks to remain open: strip clubs and brothels.

The move comes after a brothel in the region reported an outbreak of eight positive cases among its staff, according to the news website ElDiario.es. Amid difficulties in tracking down patrons, government officials are urging them to get tested."

Just imagine the excuses!

Spanish brothels are fucking grim even for the battle tested libertine.
    I wasn't aware that's what brothel patrons referred to themselves as, good to know.
  • Options

felix said:

--AS
    My GP surgery will *only* issue repeat prescriptions through an online form. Never over the phone. (This predates Covid.) The form has a "notes" section where you can ask for a change of dose etc -- but they never read it. In all the years I have been using it, never once has anything I wrote in the "notes" section been acted on. They generally won't give you an appointment to discuss a change of dose: you have to pretend to be ill to speak with the doctor.

They take forever to issue the prescription, and if it's urgent they tell you off for leaving it to the last few days. On the other hand if you try to re-order even one day early they ignore the request for being too early, and then don't tell you that they have ignored it. Nobody will speak to you about this and the receptionist, when you eventually get through, will say nothing except to use the online form and tell you off for wasting their time.

I take multiple medications, some of which need doses adjusting according to my condition, and if I miss a day I suffer serious consequences. I have seriously considered trying to acquire my medications (some of which are controlled) through a dodgy online overseas seller as it seems it would be a more reliable way to take care of my needs.

My GP himself is a charming and caring person. The same for my consultants. But the structure around them all is uncaring and harmful. During lockdown I did not clap for the NHS...

--AS
    Seriously try the superdrug website and see if you can get prescriptions there. First time they likely ask you to chat to one of their docs on line after that just order and pick up often same day
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No, duh, what you predict makes no difference to their performance.

It's a bit tiresome TBH.
    You're perfectly welcome to prove me wrong by talking them up all the time.

But if they lose wickets when you do, expect TSE to exile you to ConHome.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Sir Keir : The ban should not be lifted until the government has a credible plan to ensure that no-one loses their home as a result of coronavirus.

Christ, that's one hell of an ask.

In extremis the only way that can be done is by giving huge amounts of housing benefit; which would benefit both landlord and tenant at the general taxpayer's expense. Is that what he's suggesting ?
  • Options

Two too many zeros in that: 0.00086%.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    kle4 said:
    Given that Brenda's getting on in years, Crossrail might end up in the rather embarrasing position that she's no longer around to open the line named after her when they finally get it done.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sir Keir : The ban should not be lifted until the government has a credible plan to ensure that no-one loses their home as a result of coronavirus.

In extremis the only way that can be done is by giving huge amounts of housing benefit; which would benefit both landlord and tenant at the general taxpayer's expense. Is that what he's suggesting ?

What a silly comment by Starmer
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It seems to be the easiest pitch to bat on of the series - more of a 400 pitch than 300.

Historically, teams have made about half their runs by the time they lose their fourth wicket. We are on track to outperform that, but it does show that we're still behind the game.
    Dunno. Runs on the board.

I would have taken 205/4 all night long if offered it.
  • Options

Indeed.

Seven in ten cases are asymptomatic; possibly the healthy rate is higher in this 'second wave'.

At the moment more cases are in the young than last time. You could argue that your population segmentation strategy is working.

Unfortunately, recent experience in Florida and elsewhere, suggests that this will not last. Young people will spread the virus to older people. The older people will get sick and die.

Perhaps the combination of better testing and localised restrictions will be enough to stop this from happening. We must certainly vote so, but I worry about the boost to transmission heading our way from the return of schools and the onset of autumn.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

felix said:

--AS

--AS
    Seriously try the superdrug website and see if you can get prescriptions there. First time they likely ask you to chat to one of their docs on line after that just order and pick up often same day
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I think it's unlikely that they can deal with the unusual scheduled drugs that I need (I think they can only be prescribed on a consultant's advice) but it's worth a go...

--AS
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Pagan2 said:

I will give that a go. My own GP is equally useless and wants me to use the online system.

"You will need to come in and verify yourself"

Me: "Why? You are my doctor. You know who I am. You phoned me up"

"We cannot issue the information without verification"

Me: "Ok. When can I pop in?"

"You can't unless it is an urgent medical matter. We are not handling appointments"

Duh....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I agree as a general point - it's why I think someone, say, being a bad father/mother/husband/wife need not be important as it might be that one reason they are bad is they devote themselves too much to public service, to my personal benefit - however judging what moments are acceptable to step away from the job and when it is not acceptable is probably a difficult task, not least because the answer is tied up in how they generally operate, and, of course, politics.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:
    Given that Brenda's getting on in years, Crossrail might end up in the rather embarrasing position that she's no longer around to open the line named after her when they finally get it done.
    The memorial line.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,017
    Pulpstar said:

He is inviting HMG to boot it into their own net.
    By refusing to do so for a week longer than credible.
    Then doing so. Smart politics I reckon.
    A months extension is neither use nor ornament.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

It will not be an issue. They will send the astronauts at night .....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yup.
  • Options

That is much too dangerous for my GP to start functioning normally.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Pulpstar said:

LAB no change - let's pay out benefits for ever...
  • Options

That is much too dangerous for my GP to start functioning normally.
    I'm pleased to hear you have a GP capable of functioning normally.
  • Options

Indeed.

In Spain it was like that at first but now it is spreading beyond the young and fit, there are more in hospitals and at least 4/5 care homes have been affected. Don't say you weren't warned.
  • Options

felix said:

--AS

--AS
    My favourite one is this -

My wife takes a long term medication that requires periodic tests and review by a consultant.

But the system says that she has to book an appointment with the GP. Each time. To be referred to the consultant in question....

To be fair to the GP, she has read up on the subject - just for the sake of knowledge. But she is quite clear that this is a specialist issue.

Apparently, this is not uncommon.
  • Options

Kudos to Owen Jones for calling out that bullshit.

While he is by admission very partisan (even if he gets stroppy about being called an activist, which he is), he does demonstrate he can be thoughtful, insightful, and and fair minded on occasion, which means he cannot be placed in a category with the proper loonies.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

For the benefit to those not around the last time this came up, if you think the complaints about how unfair the algorithm was were justified, then the effect of doing exams after two or three months of lockdown and therefore remote teaching would have been ten times worse. Many students from poor backgrounds would have not finished the course before they went on lockdown and then had little access to any support before the exams as their access to remote teaching would have had to be shared with others in the house or non-existent.
    At the other extreme there would have been pupils who had finished the course (mine had for instance as I saw this coming and concentrated on getting though the material as rapidly as I could), who had access to high quality remote teaching, multiple past papers to do and so on. Many of these would have been in the independent sector (and few in the independent sector would not have been in this group).
    The net result would have seen some pupils largely unaffected while others would have dropped several grades due to lack of knowledge and/or practice.
    This does not include the then unknown numbers who would not have been able to do the exams at all as they would have been self-isolating or ill.

Not holding the exams in May and June was an example of a least worst option.
This discussion has been closed.