Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was a betting market on Williamson not being Educatio

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ukpaul said:

They had to clear the decks so that they get on using the schoolkids to infect each other (and hopefully not granny). The drive for backdoor herd immunity is a strong one it appears.

How many years ought children to stay sat at home then?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

England accepts teacher assessed grades

Announcement from Roger Taylor, Ofqual Chair

What about the 1% whose algorithm grade was HIGHER than the CAG?
    They get to keep them according to the announcement.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,199
    And they have only moved the story onto University places.

Much more pain to come...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    I hear Charlie Falconer is delighted that the new catchphrase is "Has Gavin WIlliamson resigned yet?"
  • Options

Stocky said:

Quite reasonable too. Benefit of the doubt should go to the pupil.

Got to the right place in the end. Called it here all along. 👨🏻‍🎓 ✅
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027

Scott_xP said:
    Right decision in a no win scenario IMO
    Yep but one that has allowed a week to pass during which Universities have created a bigger mess through clearing.

Thankfully it doesn't impact me as 1 twin was always retaking year 13 and the other got where she wanted and now has the grades I expected her to get..
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Stocky said:

So do I assume that when the GCSE results come out that pupils will be provided with the algorithm grade and the CAG, or do you think pupils will only ever know the higher?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

The daily Covid figures have been (partially) updated.

Total new deaths: 3

The UK hospital patient total is still stuck, due to lack of complete figures from all four nations since the 13th, but the English datum appears to have plateaued just below 600, which is something of a concern.

600 is 0.6 patients per hospital. Most hospitals have 800 beds. And this is Covid postive patients, not necessarily Covid ill patients
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    *YAWN*

Labour backed this system in Wales that they run and gave no criticism of it until its issues were already apparent. Being Captain Hindsight doesn't make you big or clever.
  • Options

Another Oxford PPE. :wink:
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

And that's only a problem because this announcement wasn't made a week ago when SQA revealed the only solution.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

ukpaul said:

They had to clear the decks so that they get on using the schoolkids to infect each other (and hopefully not granny). The drive for backdoor herd immunity is a strong one it appears.

How many years ought children to stay sat at home then?
    It's what Tegnell pretty much admitted to in private emails. Given his connections to others in the UK I have no doubt they want to do this as well. Getting this far by not mandating masks, full classes, no measures on airborne virus is just too transparent. Audacious, I admit, doing it pretty much all in plain sight.
  • Options
    This would be a good time to draw a line under this Government fucking up.

What with us departing the EU trade arrangements on 31st December.....
  • Options

Stocky said:

You did to be fair
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Of course there's a broader debate to be had with some of our resident Comp Sci grads, as to how well your degree set you up for your career? My experience is poorly.

Although I work in what might broadly be called software engineering I didn't do a Comp Sci degree and have almost exclusively learnt from experience on the job.

Very little of what I use now even remotely existed when I did my degree anyway.

What I find that graduates have most difficulty with is, amazingly, in using Google to find answers to something they're struggling with, or applying a bit of logical trial and error to iterate through to a solution.
    Well said LostPassword, I have also found the same.

I don't think the ability to be logical is something that can be taught, you either have it, or you don't (ironic).

I am under no doubt that learning the fundamentals of bubble sort has not helped my career whatsoever.
    The dept head at our comp sci dept was C.A.R Hoare so they were on the forefront of language abstraction, object orientation, etc. I have been using what i was taughever since (supplemented by further training at IBM).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Stocky said:

This was an easy enough call because it's plainly obvious that the Gov't will always prefer a solution that makes people happy in the short term (Particularly this one), doesn't make it right though.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    And labour in Wales only announced the same change this pm so I assume Starmer will say the same of Mark Drakeford, his first minister here in Wales
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,199

LOL

They are just getting started...
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    Scott_xP said:
    If there are lots of inflated grades then
    Scott_xP said:
    What should they have done then. As now we have many pupils with higher grades than they would have got, all top courses will be over subscribed, so if they had done this Thursday the same problem would have existed.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Sunak's restaurant deals and stamp duty cuts are working well though, eh?

Its almost as if lower taxes and less regulation stimulated economic activity!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

And that's only a problem because this announcement wasn't made a week ago when SQA revealed the only solution.
    I didn't rate the Scottish solution and nor do I this one. But if you're going to eventually go down this route better to head down the path immediately rather than a week later. A week is a very very long time in admissions at this point in the year.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

This was an easy enough call because it's plainly obvious that the Gov't will always prefer a solution that makes people happy in the short term (Particularly this one), doesn't make it right though.
    Not u-turning is normally the easy enough call.

Acknowledging when you get things wrong was the right thing to do here. The algorithm did not give accurate grades to all pupils, getting an average right isn't enough if you're downgrading some pupils below what they should have got.

A sanity check for schools that looked like outliers and basically saying to teachers "are you sure, have another look please" would have been better than just overruling outcomes by an algorithm.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Does anyone know whether A level pupils have been given the centre assessed grades? I assume so, or how would they know that the CAG grade was higher?

On reflection, why did schools give this information out? Seems unnecessarily provocative?

I`m wondering whether the pupils I`m listening to now on the radio who are delighted their getting their predicted grades are mixing up the CAG with the predicted grade for Uni. They could be the same, of course, but not necessarily so. As one poster has said this morning it is possible that a predicted grade is higher to help the pupil get the uni they wanted.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Right decision in a no win scenario IMO
    Yep but one that has allowed a week to pass during which Universities have created a bigger mess through clearing.

Thankfully it doesn't impact me as 1 twin was always retaking year 13 and the other got where she wanted and now has the grades I expected her to get..
    Indeed should have been done a week ago but GCSE disaster would have made last week look like a minor issue. Hopefully that is now avoided.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Stocky said:

Does anyone know whether A level pupils have been given the centre assessed grades? I assume so, or how would they know that the CAG grade was higher?

On reflection, why did schools give this information out? Seems unnecessarily provocative?

I`m wondering whether the pupils I`m listening to now on the radio who are delighted their getting their predicted grades are mixing up the CAG with the predicted grade for Uni. They could be the same, of course, but not necessarily so. As one poster has said this morning it is possible that a predicted grade is higher to help the pupil get the uni they wanted.

I think only the aggregated statistics were released, not on an individual basis?
  • Options

OFQUAL did the job they were set, should have been Williamson apologising today - instead just threw Taylor and OFQUAL under the bus. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,586
    Because this applies to GCSE grades as well, one side effect that could come back to bite is that over-generous teacher predictions (by some, not all) could lead to many more students reaching the threshold to do A-level courses. It's likely that some of those who scrape the required GCSE grades could struggle on A levels. Expect retention and results to decline on A-level courses by 2022.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Many schools gave out the CAG on Thursday with the A-Level results.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    What should they have done then. As now we have many pupils with higher grades than they would have got, all top courses will be over subscribed, so if they had done this Thursday the same problem would have existed.
    Maybe they should have held exams ....
  • Options
    10 out of 10 for the Government performing the U-Turn. Absolutely the right thing to do.

0 out of 10 for the politics of their performance and for getting into this mess in the first place. They left it far far too late to do this and there are no valid excuses for that.

Williamson should be banished to the farthest corners of the back benches for the rest of this century.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Agreed, but this was always the likely outcome I guess following the Scottish decision - which sunk the government. Another devolution ramification.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Scott_xP said:
    5. Announcement that WhateverAgencyX is unfit for purpose and no one can see why on earth it was set up (other than the Conservative Minister who, in fact, did set it up).
  • Options

Stocky said:

Should they have been allowed to do this? Red rag to a bull, surely?
  • Options
    Given that any mechanism - teacher assessment, computer formula, or combination of the two - was always going to be an inadequate guesstimate and unfair relative to actual exams, I don't know why somebody didn't think of a simple, logical compromise on standardisation.

Why not apply the dreaded algorithm to determine who should be marked up or down, BUT limit the adjustment of grades to just one level above or below that recommended by the teacher? That would've dealt with most of the grade inflation conundrum, and eliminated all the most egregious cases of heavy downgrading (some perfectly competent students ending up with U's, for example) into the bargain.

Oh well, too late now.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Agreed, but this was always the likely outcome I guess following the Scottish decision - which sunk the government. Another devolution ramification.
    Once SQA announced it the end result was inevitable.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Stocky said:

I think only the aggregated statistics were released, not on an individual basis?
    Daughter's school provided individual breakdowns of CAGs, Mocks and final A levels.

I'm already seeing some students wanting to appeal their CAGs now they realise it wasn't just the now dead algorithm that scored them lower than their UCAS predictions (which remember are done way back at the start of Yr 13) but often schools had lowered their CAGs first before the algorithm hit them again...

As for Uni admissions officers..... all the best to them!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    So, a bucketload of bad PR, stress for those concerned, and what gained?

Worth remembering the PM and Education Secretary had time to learn from what happened in Scotland.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,563

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    Yep. Exams are, by their nature, socially distant.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    Well one fundamental fact of a system is that in a single year all A grades, B grades etc in a particular subject in a particular year should be of equal worth. If the decision to go with the higher of either teacher or algorithmed grades is made pre-release then no one can tell (For sure) whether the grade was a result of teacher or algorithm.
    Right now, the algorithmed grades have taken precedence in terms of filling courses when they ought to be pari passu with the teacher assessed grades.
  • Options

RobD said:

Stocky said:

Daughter's school provided individual breakdowns of CAGs, Mocks and final A levels.

I'm already seeing some students wanting to appeal their CAGs now they realise it wasn't just the now dead algorithm that scored them lower than their UCAS predictions (which remember are done way back at the start of Yr 13) but often schools had lowered their CAGs first before the algorithm hit them again...

As for Uni admissions officers..... all the best to them!
    +1 for the last bit, I really wouldn't want to be them as they now need to solve the impossible,

Have the Government announced any exception to their previous rules regarding student numbers?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822
    Pulpstar said:

OFQUAL did the job they were set, should have been Williamson apologising today - instead just threw Taylor and OFQUAL under the bus. Disgraceful.
    No, I think the blame can be shared.
    OFQUAL screwed up even within their remit (whether it came from Williamson or whether they advocated for it themselves at the outset).
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    What should have happened is some multi-step thinking, like the French did.

It will have been obvious for some months that the 2020 results were likely to be on the high side and a bit random, so the October 2020 admissions process (which started nearly a year ago, when Covid-19 wasn't even a twinkle in a bat's eye) wasn't going to play out as normal.

So you get the VCs on Zoom, throw some money at them (like Rishi's Dishes, peanuts in the grand scheme of things) to quietly create bulge places, and to cover the losses at the Unis at the bottom of the food chain. Given time to plan, that's doable.

What you don't do is pretend you can make it normal- even if the overall grades had been held down, they wouldn't have matched the offers previously made at a personal level. You don't then dig your heels in for a few days before running up the white flag.

There's some bad luck in this fiasco. But bad judgement has made it far worse.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Stocky said:

That`s what I thought. In which case those celebrating may be celebrating too early.

It would be interesting to know from a teacher whether some of the Uni predicted grades are likely to be higher than the particular CAG.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Should they have been allowed to do this? Red rag to a bull, surely?
    Yes - because you could request it under GDPR regulations (alongside all other information about you that was sent to OFQUAL / exam boards).

Most sensible schools released the CAG to students to avoid having to provide anything more....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

No, I think the blame can be shared.
    OFQUAL screwed up even within their remit (whether it came from Williamson or whether they advocated for it themselves at the outset).
    I think that`s fair.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

There would still have been a big problem as universities routinely overbook places, knowing that a proportion of the candidates will not make the grades, like airlines over booking flights.

There are other universities whose intake is largely made up of those who did not get the grades they need to go elsewhere.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Once SQA announced it the end result was inevitable.
    I still don't accept that, but you'd have to have a Gov't willing to take on some heat and unpopularity - which it is only willing to do over Cummings employment.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917

So, a bucketload of bad PR, stress for those concerned, and what gained?

Worth remembering the PM and Education Secretary had time to learn from what happened in Scotland.

Except that the universities' timetables didn't allow them much time in the end. But a day or two, yes?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

It really is amazing to see so many people who advocated the long term shut down of schools now wailing about children's futures being stolen.

Incredible really.

Time for our regular reminder that almost no children have died of Covid. The latest NHS England weekly bulletin states that 20 people aged 0-19 have died after a positive Covid test in English hospitals during the entirety of the pandemic to date, and 16 of those had serious underlying health conditions.

The likelihood of a healthy child falling seriously ill from Covid is minuscule; of one actually dying, probably about the same as being struck by a lightning bolt. And still nearly all ten-and-a-half million schoolkids (the key worker offspring excepted) had to be locked up at home for half-a-year.
    I don't think schools were shut primarily to protect children.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited August 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Ofqual was created by labour in 2008 and in 2019 Angela Rayner, labour's deputy leader, announced plans to scrap the 'deeply unfair system of teachers predictions' and yet Starmer attacks HMG for doing something he was against one year ago

Starmer is great on hindsight and hypocrisy
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    Yep. Exams are, by their nature, socially distant.
    Once again time machines don't exist and what we know now is very different to what we knew in March.
  • Options
    Very emotional pupil on Sky delighted to get her predicted grade and saying an apology is enough for the upset since the issue has been fixed so quickly.

In the 24/7 news media fixing this on a Monday after the Thursday may seem like a long time but its really not that long. They tried last week the Triple Lock to avoid this, it failed, well done for doing the right thing so quickly.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    The interesting point I am hearing from a number of friends in academia is that in fact many university courses were undersubscribed and it was known this may well be the case before this mess. There are a number of reasons for this.

1. Perhaps the most obvious is a huge drop in overseas students attending British Universities this year
    2. Many British Year 13 students have looked at what is happening in universities at the moment and decided to defer a year. Why go to Uni at the moment and get a hollowed out experience with many unis saying they will run all courses online and none of the extra curricula activities available. Far better to wait a year and see if things are back to normal next September.
    3. It was already known there would be a notable drop this year long before Covid as 2001/2002 was a period of notably reduced birthrate.

I had lunch today with my business partner whose real job is lecturing in Mental Care nursing at one of the Midlands university. He said that this will be the first year for his course when there is no clearing as every nursing type course is fully subscribed and they have even added a second cohort for January. But he said that the nursing courses were clearly the exception and many other courses at his university are seeing applications of well below 50% where in other years they were ver7 close to fully subscribed.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    edited August 2020

10 out of 10 for the Government performing the U-Turn. Absolutely the right thing to do.

0 out of 10 for the politics of their performance and for getting into this mess in the first place. They left it far far too late to do this and there are no valid excuses for that.

Bollocks to that. This just makes A Level grades meaningless. What’s the point in them because you can’t tell in a few years time when hiring a graduate if the person was really 3As or not? And this one off inflation disadvantages the 2018/2019/2021/2022 graduates in the first years of their career when employers still look at A Level grades.

The government seems incapable of thinking further ahead than tonight’s twitter trends.

I’d love to know if there are people in Cabinet calling these things out or if ministers are wary of stepping on toes outside their brief. I’ve seen it before in the private sector. Most of the room knowing that a committee is sleep walking into disaster but no one having the guts to speak up and say what everyone’s thinking. Which here is “no exam, no grade. Fix the consequence not the other way round”.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    I wonder what will happen next year?

We can't disadvantage next year's students by reducing the % of A and A* grades compared to this year now can we? That would be terribly unfair!

Only solution for employers is going to be to set their own tests as school exam results will become largely worthless.

As for Universities they'll just recalibrate offers upwards to reflect the new grade distribution.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ofqual was created by labour in 2008 and in 2019 Angela Rayner, labour's deputy leader, announced plans to scrap the 'deeply unfair system of teachers predictions' and yet Starmer attacks HMG for doing something his party was against one year ago

Captain Hindsight once again ignoring that Labour endorsed this system in Wales and that the Unions endorsed this system in England.

It would be great if maybe for once Captain Hindsight could make a productive suggestion or criticism BEFORE an issue blows up.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ofqual was created by labour in 2008 and in 2019 Angela Rayner, labour's deputy leader, announced plans to scrap the 'deeply unfair system of teachers predictions' and yet Starmer attacks HMG for something he was in favour of one year ago

Was Starmer leader of the labour party in 2019?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Selebian said:

It really is amazing to see so many people who advocated the long term shut down of schools now wailing about children's futures being stolen.

Incredible really.

Time for our regular reminder that almost no children have died of Covid. The latest NHS England weekly bulletin states that 20 people aged 0-19 have died after a positive Covid test in English hospitals during the entirety of the pandemic to date, and 16 of those had serious underlying health conditions.

The likelihood of a healthy child falling seriously ill from Covid is minuscule; of one actually dying, probably about the same as being struck by a lightning bolt. And still nearly all ten-and-a-half million schoolkids (the key worker offspring excepted) had to be locked up at home for half-a-year.
    Indeed not. The problem was that nobody was really thinking of the welfare of the children at all.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Bollocks to that. This just makes A Level grades meaningless. What’s the point in them because you can’t tell in a few years time when hiring a graduate if the person was really 3As or not? And this one off inflation disadvantages the 2018/2019/2021/2022 graduates in the first years of their career when employers still look at A Level grades.

The government seems incapable of thinking further ahead than tonight’s twitter trends.

I’d love to know if there are people in Cabinet calling these things out or if ministers are wary of stepping on toes outside their brief. I’ve seen it before in the private sector. Most of the room knowing that a committee is sleep walking into disaster but no one having the guts to speak up and say what everyone’s thinking. Which here is “no exam, no grade. Fix the consequence not the other way round”.

You can't either way there's been no exams.

Awarding a 3 A's student 3 B's in order to bring the average down isn't a solution! How does that help?
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Ofqual was created by labour in 2008 and in 2019 Angela Rayner, labour's deputy leader, announced plans to scrap the 'deeply unfair system of teachers predictions' and yet Starmer attacks HMG for something he was in favour of one year ago

He was in the shadow cabinet
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

He was a prominent Shadow Cabinet minister fully signed up to the policies he collectively agreed with.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I’d love to know if there are people in Cabinet calling these things out or if ministers are wary of stepping on ties outside their brief. I’ve seen it before in the private sector. Most of the room knowing that a committee is sleep walking into disaster but no one having the guts to speak up and say what everyone’s thinking. Which here is “no exam, no grade. Fix the consequence not the other way round”.

Rubbish. A levels are a stepping stone to the next level in education or career. This argument about inflation is complete and utter bullshit. If these students are not fit for university then that will become clear when they get there just as it does in other years. But they at least deserve to be given a fair chance and what was done with the algorithm was clearly completely unfair. Everyone knew that from across the political spectrum which is why the Government was fanatically stupid not to make this change straight away.

They have taken political ineptness to a whole new level with this.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ofqual was created by labour in 2008 and in 2019 Angela Rayner, labour's deputy leader, announced plans to scrap the 'deeply unfair system of teachers predictions' and yet Starmer attacks HMG for doing something he was against one year ago

It doesn't matter who created it. They were given a job to do which they had to do within certain guidance. It was for the minister to make the political decision to do the right thing and revoke the regrading and he waited far too long to do that.
  • Options

Very emotional pupil on Sky delighted to get her predicted grade and saying an apology is enough for the upset since the issue has been fixed so quickly.

In the 24/7 news media fixing this on a Monday after the Thursday may seem like a long time but its really not that long. They tried last week the Triple Lock to avoid this, it failed, well done for doing the right thing so quickly.

I listened to that interview and you could almost hear the disappointment from the presenter that she had not demanded Williamson's resignation
  • Options
    moonshine said:

The government seems incapable of thinking further ahead than tonight's twitter trends.

Well said.

I have a feeling that might be its epitaph.

Of course, this scandal is as nothing to the coming winter of entrenched mass unemployment amidst a sea of debt.

wonder what the twitterati will say about that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Scott_xP said:
    Do we know yet if schools are to reopen? As it is like only two or three weeks away in theory?
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

When "your team" is having a sh*t day, it is vitally important to point the finger at the other team and hope that everyone looks the other way ... ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Pulpstar said:

The emerging story of Sir Keir.....

It is going to be tested to destruction when he tries to explain away the EHRC report on anti-semitism in Labour. Whilst he was sat in the Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Incredible really.

Spot on. Schools were seen as a conduit for transmission between otherwise isolated groups of adults. If children can be carriers then it doesn't really matter whether they get it badly or not. What matters is how they transmit it.

Remember at the start of all of this lots of clever people were pointing out how previous flu epidemics have rapidly dissolved once school holidays occur.

Now as it happens it looks like in this case children are also poor carriers as well as not getting the disease themselves. But that wasn't clear at the time the original decisions to shut schools were made.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,826

Pulpstar said:

Well it certainly seems that Teachers predictions are unfair, just in a different way.

I think Rayner was advocating a move away from conditional offers, to post A level application.

That would at least have gotten away from the fiasco of university admissions that has suddenly arisen.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

The grade inflation must now be continued for future years.

It will be interesting to see if those PBers who said that this year would be a one-off maintain that position.

And we have learnt various valuable things:

That another quango isn't fit for purpose.
    That teachers grade predictions are less reliable than an estate agent's valuation.
    And that, yet again, Phaemon's dog was right.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

Selebian said:

Incredible really.

No. The problem was that nobody was really thinking of the welfare of the children at all.
    To be fair, everyone was panicking in March. Govt. realised it had been caught out badly and rushed to deal at short notice with what they saw, rightly, as a potential calamity. What they didn't do, apparently, was think about matters like exams as the situation developed.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912
    edited August 2020

Of course there's a broader debate to be had with some of our resident Comp Sci grads, as to how well your degree set you up for your career? My experience is poorly.

Although I work in what might broadly be called software engineering I didn't do a Comp Sci degree and have almost exclusively learnt from experience on the job.

Very little of what I use now even remotely existed when I did my degree anyway.

What I find that graduates have most difficulty with is, amazingly, in using Google to find answers to something they're struggling with, or applying a bit of logical trial and error to iterate through to a solution.
    Well said LostPassword, I have also found the same.

I don't think the ability to be logical is something that can be taught, you either have it, or you don't (ironic).

I am under no doubt that learning the fundamentals of bubble sort has not helped my career whatsoever.
    The fundamentals of the bubble sort taught you about algorithms though, and how the obvious way to do something isn't always very efficient.

I agree though. Google is the very useful if you are capable of distinguishing the useful results from the crap. The same goes for Stack Overflow. Some people just don't seem able to do it.
  • Options

Because this applies to GCSE grades as well, one side effect that could come back to bite is that over-generous teacher predictions (by some, not all) could lead to many more students reaching the threshold to do A-level courses. It's likely that some of those who scrape the required GCSE grades could struggle on A levels. Expect retention and results to decline on A-level courses by 2022.

moonshine said:

You are making the almost universal mistake of those outside education of thinking that A-levels are themselves a reliable measure of anything other than the ability to do A-levels. They are correlated with ability and understanding of a subject, but I’ve seen enough candidates underperform on the day (and some with an ability to cram for a test having done little or no work all year) to know that the difference between an A and a B is largely illusory.

And that is before you get to the inevitable foul-ups of the exam boards in a normal year.
  • Options

Sunak's restaurant deals and stamp duty cuts are working well though, eh?

Its almost as if lower taxes and less regulation stimulated economic activity!
    Well the restaurant deal is actually a state subsidy for your recreation.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It doesn't matter who created it. They were given a job to do which they had to do within certain guidance. It was for the minister to make the political decision to do the right thing and revoke the regrading and he waited far too long to do that.
    I do not excuse Williamson who has been out of his depth ever since he joined the cabinet
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,997

We need a wider pool of people running the country.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Incredible really.

Spot on. Schools were seen as a conduit for transmission between otherwise isolated groups of adults. If children can be carriers then it doesn't really matter whether they get it badly or not. What matters is how they transmit it.

Remember at the start of all of this lots of clever people were pointing out how previous flu epidemics have rapidly dissolved once school holidays occur.

Now as it happens it looks like in this case children are also poor carriers as well as not getting the disease themselves. But that wasn't clear at the time the original decisions to shut schools were made.
    "You may have contributed to the death of your dad and grandma but you're still healthy" isn't exactly reassuring to a child.
  • Options
    So when do we get the official Robert Smithson 'staggering'.

I would be staggered if we don't see a four-fold increase in reported cases over the next two weeks in the UK.

03/08 938 reported cases
    17/08 713 reported cases

And from slightly more testing as well.

Meanwhile the covid symptoms app continues to trend down:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data#levels-over-time
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well we recently had someone who read Geography at Oxford. Isn't that enough for you?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Do you think that mocking the government for U-turns is going to persuade them that next time there is something they ought to change their mind on they should go ahead and do it? Or might they say ‘we will get stick for this if we change our mind, so we might as well carry on doing what we are doing”?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

We need people who have worn ppe rather than studied PPE.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Incredible really.

"You may have contributed to the death of your dad and grandma but you're still healthy" isn't exactly reassuring to a child.
    Indeed. I don't see how the Government could have done anything else other than shut the schools when they did given what they thought they knew at the time.
  • Options

I would be staggered if we don't see a four-fold increase in reported cases over the next two weeks in the UK.

03/08 938 reported cases
    17/08 713 reported cases

Suggests they are getting more successful at finding hotspots. That, or the app is getting less popular as people move on.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The emerging story of Sir Keir.....

It is going to be tested to destruction when he tries to explain away the EHRC report on anti-semitism in Labour. Whilst he was sat in the Shadow Cabinet.
    The depends on what he does - I suspect those who are explicitly named within the report may not have the labour whip after publication.
  • Options

03/08 938 reported cases
    17/08 713 reported cases

He was also a seller of US stocks at the start of the rally that's led us to record highs.

Its not been a good few months for the boy. Happens to us all.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

03/08 938 reported cases
    17/08 713 reported cases

Tbf, that's because we have got the 24 day quarantine that people hate so much. We're not importing the virus on the same scale as February and March.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Incredible really.

No. The problem was that nobody was really thinking of the welfare of the children at all.
    To be fair, everyone was panicking in March. Govt. realised it had been caught out badly and rushed to deal at short notice with what they saw, rightly, as a potential calamity. What they didn't do, apparently, was think about matters like exams as the situation developed.
    There's plenty of people who are paid to think about matters like exams.

But its easier to do nothing and let someone else take the decisions and get the blame.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,701

Williamson should be banished to the farthest corners of the back benches for the rest of this century.

Seriously, Mr Tyndall? Please think of the poor MPs who will be there until 2100...

Or perhaps you means like the chap who founded the University of London? He is still with them, I believe.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Andy_JS said:

We could have a very wide pool of people running the country and it would be no better if the people chosen are chosen for the wrong reasons.

We need people chosen primarily for competence and integrity.
  • Options
    Now the government needs to abolish the Student Numbers Control for universities, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/student-number-controls, so that they can take more students.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

moonshine said:

The government seems incapable of thinking further ahead than tonight's twitter trends.

Well said.

I have a feeling that might be its epitaph.

Of course, this scandal is as nothing to the coming winter of entrenched mass unemployment amidst a sea of debt.

wonder what the twitterati will say about that.
    Starmer really should go all guns blazing and throw out from the party the Corbyns, Long Baileys and Dawn thingummybob. I won’t vote for him if those types are still in the parliamentary party, just too risky. But I suspect I and many others could be first time Labour voters if he does.

I suspect he is too timid a character for this however and Labour will lose again.
This discussion has been closed.