Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pence for Republican VP nominee – what are the chances that he

124»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

LadyG said:

Pulpstar said:

Gabs3 said:

Phil Hammond, a revolving door lobbyist for sick regimes.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/philip-hammond-becomes-saudi-advisor/

Absolubtely revolting
    They are entirely unself aware. Cf the Remain campaign leader who is now doing PR for the CCP in Hong Kong. Astonishing
    I think there is a sort of establishment type who admires totalitarian states because they keep the proles in 'their place'.
    Everybody got to pay the rent. Its not as of either would get a quango job off this government or a seat in the Lords.

I see virtually our entire fleet will be in the Far East. Not sure what they can do there except have @Dura_Ace successors stealing Tuktuks in the flesh pots of Bankok. Why not send the Prrince of Wales, it has a certain historical connection with the South China Sea?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited July 2020
    Mr. B2, daily totals for a nation can often be made to sound big.

You'd probably criticise a Leaver who retorted that was better than sending a million pounds a day to the EU.

As an aside, if the vote had happened later, the sum of money argument would've been significantly less potent due to much spending on other matters.

Edited extra bit: although for many people that was a secondary consideration behind self-governance and control.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

How can we explain the fact that global deaths from Covid-19 peaked on about 17th April but global cases are still rising? It doesn't take 3 months to go from new cases to new deaths AFAIK.

See graphs on this page:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Oh that's easy: back in April, only about a fifth of cases were diagnosed, while today (in developed countries) it's probably 70+%.

(Plus the fact we're better at treatment helps too.)
    You are Donald Trump and I claim my $5...
  • Options

Mr. B2, daily totals for a nation can often be made to sound big.

You'd probably criticise a Leaver who retorted that was better than sending a million pounds a day to the EU.

As an aside, if the vote had happened later, the sum of money argument would've been significantly less potent due to much spending on other matters.

Edited extra bit: although for many people that was a secondary consideration behind self-governance and control.

Lol @ “self governance and control”
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,899
    Andy_JS said:

How can we explain the fact that global deaths from Covid-19 peaked on about 17th April but global cases are still rising? It doesn't take 3 months to go from new cases to new deaths AFAIK.

See graphs on this page:

Absolute numbers of new cases are currently dominated by three countries, all have a large population and they have been doing lots of testing. As you saw in the UK, do lots of testing and you find lots of cases without the absolute number of deaths increasing.

Deaths in Brazil are at over 1000 per day and has been around 1000 since mid may. The US deaths peaked in mid-april have dropped to around 500 per day, but have had a significant increase in the last 7 days.

As for India, HYUFD has his theory, or we could be suspicious, the poor health system means that only people who can afford medical care are being tested, ie. the true situation in India in the underclasses is not showing up in the numbers.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Pulpstar said:

Gabs3 said:

Phil Hammond, a revolving door lobbyist for sick regimes.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/philip-hammond-becomes-saudi-advisor/

Absolubtely revolting
    They are entirely unself aware. Cf the Remain campaign leader who is now doing PR for the CCP in Hong Kong. Astonishing
    I think there is a sort of establishment type who admires totalitarian states because they keep the proles in 'their place'.
    Everybody got to pay the rent. Its not as of either would get a quango job off this government or a seat in the Lords.

I see virtually our entire fleet will be in the Far East. Not sure what they can do there except have @Dura_Ace successors stealing Tuktuks in the flesh pots of Bankok. Why not send the Prrince of Wales, it has a certain historical connection with the South China Sea?
    Being a spoilsport, I doubt if @Dura Ace's successors will get very far in Bangkok. The Thai government is very hostile to the idea of tourists coming in and wrecking their Covid-19 secure situation.
    In fairness they are also hostile to the idea of Thai tourists going out of the country, as wealthy Thai's tend to do. and in fact are paying people to take their holidays in the Kingdom.

• Options
    Mr. B2, it's certainly true the negotiations have been generally incompetent.

It's also true the EU is on a course of increasing integration and that will only continue. This could've been addressed by a referendum on Lisbon, as promised. Instead the pro-EU political class decided to shove its head in the sand and ended up with an all-or-nothing referendum.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Re: Lend Lease, was sold to US public as a shrewd Yankee barter: strategic bases for us, old war surplus junk for you.

As for Marshall Plan, idea was to save economies of Germany first, then France, followed by rest of continental western Europe. With UK as diplomatic afterthought.

Wut, the UK received far more Marshal Plan aid than Germany did.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,899

felix said:

felix said:

They should have made masks compulsory from the day we locked down. They've done it too late (although they're right to make it compulsory now - and I welcome it despite all the flip flopping) and they will pay the consequences for being so utterly negligent.

Every passing day, this Government proves it is utterly incapable of actually governing. It is Government by opinion poll. It follows opinion, it does not make it.

What an utter farce.

The advice then was that face masks were not effective - even the WHO still prevaricates. The evidence since then has changed. You are simply using hindsight to support your own prejudices. In addition the supply of face masks was simply not there - here in Spain I waited 2 months before the local authority gave out 2 per household - and they were disposable. The position was much the same throughout Europe.
    It would have been relatively easy for HMG to procure masks if the political will had been there. As an aside, one thing I have seen in the last few days is people wearing the clear perspex type of mask, more of a shield really, including teachers.
    It was so easy that nowhere in Europe were masks widely available at the time in question and the scientific view was that they gave virtually no protection. Any government which had made them compulsory then would have had people like you howling with derision. The perspex shields are cute but less effective than masks.
    Masks are not high tech items, and can be easily made. Early on in this crisis, pb called for the government to appoint a PPE tsar, using the then-popular wartime analogy of Lord Beaverbrook; Lord Deighton was appointed in April. Whether masks are (or were then) thought to be of much use is a separate question; now there is more evidence that the virus spreads through airborne droplets rather than on surfaces. My point is simply that, as stated, if the government had wanted to make masks compulsory, it would have been relatively straightforward to arrange their supply.

There is a difference between PPE masks and the masks the general public wear in trains/shops/crowded places. I too thought, when the German government made mask wearing in certain situations compulsory, 'how is there going to be enough masks?' and 'where will I get a mask from': Suddenly every second small shop was selling home-made but decent masks for 4€.

Where's your entrepreneurial spirit England?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

See graphs on this page:

Improvements in treatment.
  • Options

Mr. B2, it's certainly true the negotiations have been generally incompetent.

It's also true the EU is on a course of increasing integration and that will only continue. This could've been addressed by a referendum on Lisbon, as promised. Instead the pro-EU political class decided to shove its head in the sand and ended up with an all-or-nothing referendum.

Yawn
  • Options
    Mr. B2, yawning isn't a rebuttal, engagement, or especially original or witty.

Engaging with people who hold different views might change their minds. Even if not, it might earn their respect. Denigrating people or disregarding their views tends not to do either of those things.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,046

if the vote had happened later, the sum of money argument would've been significantly less potent due to much spending on other matters.

BoZo has already said Covid has made the Brexit numbers look a lot better. That's the slogan. "Not as shit as a Global pandemic"

"self-governance and control". An unelected bureaucrat that nobody voted for or can sack who has the power and authority of a King.

Fucking brilliant...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306

New Thread

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

It was revealed yesterday that to make Brexit work will require well over one million customs forms to be completed, EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Thank God we are escaping that awful EU bureaucracy.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,124
    LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Will it have any planes on this that can actually take off and land on it? A Spitfire Squadron perhaps>?

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1282789497701314564
    The initial capability will be 2 squadrons of 12 aircraft, IIRC.

The US Marine Corps want to practically camp on the UK carriers - they want to bring at least a squadron of their own.
    Let's get this right. We asked them to make up the air wing for CSG21. And to get them we had to agree to NOFORN areas on QNLZ (ie US nationals only). Take back control.
    Is that even news? Had that not been planned from the very start of the programme?
    The US Marine presence - yes.

As to the NOFORN - the Marine squadron will very likely contain UK pilots on secondment to the US. And the Marines are talking about pooling aircraft - with UK pilots flying US aircraft and visa versa.
    What a fine way to demonstrate sovereignty and independence.
    I would far rather pool sovereignty with the USA than Germany, despite everything. Germany is a good friend and neighbour, and much admired. But America is family.
    It really isn't. Australia, New Zealand and Canada are family. The West Indies are family too, although there are plenty who don't seem to acknowledge that. The US isn't. I've lived there, it's a very alien place.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,239

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Will it have any planes on this that can actually take off and land on it? A Spitfire Squadron perhaps>?

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1282789497701314564
    The initial capability will be 2 squadrons of 12 aircraft, IIRC.

The US Marine Corps want to practically camp on the UK carriers - they want to bring at least a squadron of their own.
    Let's get this right. We asked them to make up the air wing for CSG21. And to get them we had to agree to NOFORN areas on QNLZ (ie US nationals only). Take back control.
    Is that even news? Had that not been planned from the very start of the programme?
    The US Marine presence - yes.

As to the NOFORN - the Marine squadron will very likely contain UK pilots on secondment to the US. And the Marines are talking about pooling aircraft - with UK pilots flying US aircraft and visa versa.
    What a fine way to demonstrate sovereignty and independence.
    I would far rather pool sovereignty with the USA than Germany, despite everything. Germany is a good friend and neighbour, and much admired. But America is family.
    It really isn't. Australia, New Zealand and Canada are family. The West Indies are family too, although there are plenty who don't seem to acknowledge that. The US isn't. I've lived there, it's a very alien place.
    When traveling back to the UK from Africa and the Middle East in the 1980s often through a European hub. My boss wouldn't use BA. I always felt, culturally, I was almost home in the streets of Amsterdam, Zurich, Paris or Rome. Certainly more so than when in the US.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Any predictions on how long the facemask rule will be in place for?

Long enough to destroy High Streets.
    Again given that it's been scientifically demonstrated that masks reduce transmission their being worn should HELP the High Streets not hurt them.

Why do you expect hurt given we know for a fact that masks reduce transmission considerably in indoor settings like shops making them safer to visit?
    I don't think people associate masks with a safe environment.

Nor did our politicians who have been waltzing about for four months not wearing masks.

And perhaps you can explain why I should now take the risk of going to a gym or pub or restaurant given that the government thinks going to the supermarket without a mask is unsafe.
    If you are concerned for your health you should steer clear of gymnasiums and pubs or crowded restaurants. You really shouldn't need any government to advise you on that if you have any sort of brain.
    I will do.

As the government is now saying that shops are unsafe without masks then going to the gym or a pub isn't worth it on my risk/reward ratio.

The government's problem is that it wants people to return to gyms and pubs and is giving financial incentives to do so.

Which makes it look like that the government doesn't know what it is doing - an image that will itself discourage people from going to places.
This discussion has been closed.