Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears Brexit and the handling of Covid-19 by the Scottish

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

I have (virtually) attended two seminars on air travel and CVD and this might make a good case study.......

"Coffee? Tea? Or Covid?"
    'Welcome aboard flight number CV19. You're in for a bumpy ride.'
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Off Topic - The day US Border Control agents detained a Mexican immigrant and denied him water on a hot desert day - his 96th birthday.

Turned out he was the former Governor of Arizona.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/arizona-immigration-new-nativists.html?searchResultPosition=6

I think it’s shocking that a Democrat President could allow such cruel behaviour on his watch
    He didn't know about it until it had happened. Problem was & is inbred racism of forces of order, esp. border guards. Which Trump has tried to exacerbate for political and personal reasons (God help him on both counts). NOT the case with his predecessor.
    Of course. With the democrats it’s the fault of the border guards. With the Republicans it’s the fault of the political leadership
    How much do you think the current Republican President is doing to improve the situation?
    I suspect very little.

But my point is I dislike double standards and hypocrisy by political activists like @SeaShantyIrish2
    That's harsh, dude - yours truly is a hack NOT an activist.
    Sorry - I’m sure I remember an article by you a few years ago that described you as a Democratic activist in Seattle
    Well, it's really matter of definition - no worries. As for double-standards & hypocrisy, am trying (continuously) to correct my sins & curb my enthusiasm.

However, got to cut me a bit of slack - it IS an election year. Of course, over here they ALL are - but 2020 is the Big Kahuna.
    I grew up around politicians. I have a healthy contempt for the whole damn lot.
    Guilty until proven innocent. Or at least pardonable (by me, not President or Governor).
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Off Topic - The day US Border Control agents detained a Mexican immigrant and denied him water on a hot desert day - his 96th birthday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/arizona-immigration-new-nativists.html?searchResultPosition=6

I think it’s shocking that a Democrat President could allow such cruel behaviour on his watch
    He didn't know about it until it had happened. Problem was & is inbred racism of forces of order, esp. border guards. Which Trump has tried to exacerbate for political and personal reasons (God help him on both counts). NOT the case with his predecessor.
    Of course. With the democrats it’s the fault of the border guards. With the Republicans it’s the fault of the political leadership
    How much do you think the current Republican President is doing to improve the situation?
    I suspect very little.

But my point is I dislike double standards and hypocrisy by political activists like @SeaShantyIrish2
    Sorry - I’m sure I remember an article by you a few years ago that described you as a Democratic activist in Seattle
    Well, it's really matter of definition - no worries. As for double-standards & hypocrisy, am trying (continuously) to correct my sins & curb my enthusiasm.

However, got to cut me a bit of slack - it IS an election year. Of course, over here they ALL are - but 2020 is the Big Kahuna.
    Guilty until proven innocent. Or at least pardonable (by me, not President or Governor).
    BTW, do you feel free to name one you know or knew who was a cut above?

For me, the best example is & think always will be late, great Sen. Paul Simon of Illinois.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

I have (virtually) attended two seminars on air travel and CVD and this might make a good case study......
    The missing detail here is their point of origin. If they were travelling from UAE, they would have had a compulsory test before they left, 2 days before travel. I assume if originating elsewhere, a similar requirement would exist from the airline or departing country.

There’s definitely questions about test reliability, flight arrangements and contact tracing.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

BTW your December 2011 header describes you as a “writer, researcher and Democratic political hack”... I didn’t link as it names you
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    I think he has been criticising Fox for a while now.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

I have (virtually) attended two seminars on air travel and CVD and this might make a good case study.......

And what is the received wisdom on air travel in a time of COVID? I have my views, but would be interested in what was suggested before divulging them.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

For me, the best example is & think always will be late, great Sen. Paul Simon of Illinois.
    Edward Carson
    William Graham
    John Boyd-Carpenter

all come to mind
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Smoking drugs. The US could take out the Chinese navy relatively easily.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    MrEd said:

Floater said:
    It could, if it wanted to start WW3.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

BTW your December 2011 header describes you as a “writer, researcher and Democratic political hack”... I didn’t link as it names you
    Don't call myself an activist, cause rarely go to party meetings, rallies & etc. Instead, do my plotting in small, out-of-the-way cubicles in dingy back rooms, with dim lighting and deplorable catering.

Note that Republicans are MUCH more likely to have semi-corporate quarters & conditions, partly cultural but mostly because other GOPers will NOT trust or respect them IF they work & live like Democrats.
  • Options
    He LIKES attacking Fox from time to time. Thinks it makes him look fair & balanced.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Floater said:
    Well, yes but I think if the Chinese started firing missiles at US aircraft carriers, that would be pretty much WW III anyway
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Don't call myself an activist, cause rarely go to party meetings, rallies & etc. Instead, do my plotting in small, out-of-the-way cubicles in dingy back rooms, with dim lighting and deplorable catering.

Note that Republicans are MUCH more likely to have semi-corporate quarters & conditions, partly cultural but mostly because other GOPers will NOT trust or respect them IF they work & live like Democrats.
    But definitely partisan, which was my point, independent of your specific role
  • Options

America -- Dem Veep -- in the last few minutes, Kamala Harris has gone for a walk on Betfair, and Susan Rice has come in a point. No idea why. Earlier today the Duckworth fans were nibbling away.

Thanks. Rice clear 2nd fav

Biden has good chemistry with Rice:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/505683-susan-rice-sees-stock-rise-in-biden-vp-race
    It is clear that Susan Rice's name is in the frame but so are half a dozen others. I claim no special insight and cannot explain price movements, though I suspect they are one or two punters (the markets are quite thin) overreacting to press articles in America.

Since I started typing, Rice has moved out slightly, probably because she was bigger with bookmakers than on Betfair. I'd also note, though it has been true for some time, that there is not much to lay on Michelle Lujan Grisham; again, I'm not sure it means very much.

For the moment I'm green on all the likely contenders and while the smart thing is probably to cash out, it's more fun staying in. Maybe we shall wake up tomorrow to an announcement from the Biden camp and be left ruing not backing Rice, or Harris, or whoever. One day that will happen -- one day between now and the convention in August.
    I wouldn't read too much into these things, normally no one has a particular insight. I guess not much to lay on Grisham is because a lot of punters don't really know of her while the other candidates have at least some form of name recognition. The only one I would feel reasonably comfortable about laying would be Kamala Harris because she has too many issues associated with her and her personal chemistry with Biden isn't supposed to be great. But I might be wrong.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Doesn't sound like a focus on the Red Wall / Blue Wall.

I guess we'll discover whether Rishi Rich prefers opera or ballet.
    The Tories need to defend Esher and Walton and Kensington too
    I notice you didn't mention Chingford. A defence resource too far? Even if Johnson gets another landslide I am expecting and looking forward to IDS's Portillo moment in 2024 with some relish.
    If he loses, he'll just be given a seat in the Lords and it will be like it never happened. God bless British Democracy.
    I'll enjoy the moment, as the smile is wiped from that smug face. Then contemplate another Johnson landslide!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Floater said:
    And US farmers could kiss goodbye the $200bn in exports to China that Trump's "beautiful deal" has promised them.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Floater said:
    The Chinese Navy are either going to push their luck too far or make a military mistake in the South China Sea at some point. They’re playing with fire, the whole area is way too important for international trade to allow one country to choke the seas.

We can add it to the treatment of the Urghars, Hong Kong, Coronavirus, Spyware technology and currency manipulation as reasons to stop buying Chinese goods - starting with Huawei infrastructure.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    TimT said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

And what is the received wisdom on air travel in a time of COVID? I have my views, but would be interested in what was suggested before divulging them.
    Never touch the inside door handle of the toilet
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    MrEd said:

Floater said:
    Sure, but if the Chinese can take out the US Navy with land-based missiles relatively easily they might accept the trade.

I'm a little bit worried that one of our new large carriers is called the Prince of Wales. Not a happy precedent.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Edward Carson
    William Graham
    John Boyd-Carpenter

all come to mind
    JB-C easily wikied, think I may have read something about him somewhere, sounds like interesting guy, including Margaret Thatcher's first ministerial boss; was he peeved at Sir Alec Douglas-Hume?

EC - was he son of Lord Carson; Dubs are still proud of him as a native son, though kind of the same way New Mexicans are proud of Billy the Kid.

WG - only ones I found on wiki were a bit ahead of your time, methinks.
  • Options
    Kudos to HMG for injecting £1bn+ into the arts.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IanB2 said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

LOL. Wasn't that the case before COVID?
  • Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

LOL. Wasn't that the case before COVID?
    Please do NOT cough in the pilot's face or (this means you TT) goose the stewardess
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

He LIKES attacking Fox from time to time. Thinks it makes him look fair & balanced.
    When he does it whilst wearing a kimono you know he’s really losing it
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Edward Carson
    William Graham
    John Boyd-Carpenter

all come to mind
    JB-C easily wikied, think I may have read something about him somewhere, sounds like interesting guy, including Margaret Thatcher's first ministerial boss; was he peeved at Sir Alec Douglas-Hume?

EC - was he son of Lord Carson; Dubs are still proud of him as a native son, though kind of the same way New Mexicans are proud of Billy the Kid.

Think I found William Graham - former Welsh Assembly Conservative leader, also sounds like interesting fellow, who did what he believe right & willing to pay price if need be.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Doesn't sound like a focus on the Red Wall / Blue Wall.

I guess we'll discover whether Rishi Rich prefers opera or ballet.
    The Tories need to defend Esher and Walton and Kensington too
    I notice you didn't mention Chingford. A defence resource too far? Even if Johnson gets another landslide I am expecting and looking forward to IDS's Portillo moment in 2024 with some relish.
    The rumour is he will stand down before.
    Plus Chingford is more football than opera and ballet and does not have a big theatre
    Boundary changes may change things in that area as well.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

The bigger story might just be the Wirecard scandal on the front page.

Remind me about the financial sector decamping to Frankfurt again?

I have 2 cards from UK, World leading Fintech, next-gen providers.

Both used Wirecard as the back-end.
    Which makes it very important that such firms are not in Germany, or even the EU, given the nature of its regulators.
    It definitely raises questions over the quality of regulatory oversight in Germany, the EU has opened an investigation into the whole situation. Honestly, I can't see this happening here. The FCA has its own set of flaws and auditors I've come across always strike me as dull rather than criminally incompetent.
    Auditors are internationally incompetent.

How on earth can anyone do an audit, and miss €1.7bn of fake bank deposits? It absolutely beggars belief. I'm sure in the old days it was standard practice for auditors to write to banks, and to major creditors and debtors, to ask for confirmation of the account balances. What on earth do auditors do if they don't do that?
    The "faked bank accounts" issue is (sadly) a common one.

Parmalat did it in 2003, hiding something like EUR13bn of losses. Polly Peck, IIRC correctly, did the same. And I was involved in uncovering a similar scandal at Lernout & Hauspie about twenty years ago.

Most recently, in the UK, the management at Patisserie Valerie had faked letters from banks confirming there was no outstanding debt.

To my mind, the real offence that has been committed here is by BaFin, which took the word of the Wirecard CEO and went after short-sellers. Heads should roll at the German financial regulator, because it's one thing to miss an insolvent firm, it's another thing to be an effective accessory in a cover up.
    Might I recommend this insightful article - ahem - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/on-juries-and-experts/ - on BaFin’s behaviour.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Sandpit said:

MrEd said:

Floater said:
    The Chinese Navy are either going to push their luck too far or make a military mistake in the South China Sea at some point. They’re playing with fire, the whole area is way too important for international trade to allow one country to choke the seas.

We can add it to the treatment of the Urghars, Hong Kong, Coronavirus, Spyware technology and currency manipulation as reasons to stop buying Chinese goods - starting with Huawei infrastructure.
    https://twitter.com/AmbLiuXiaoMing/status/1279882266597040135
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Which makes it very important that such firms are not in Germany, or even the EU, given the nature of its regulators.
    It definitely raises questions over the quality of regulatory oversight in Germany, the EU has opened an investigation into the whole situation. Honestly, I can't see this happening here. The FCA has its own set of flaws and auditors I've come across always strike me as dull rather than criminally incompetent.

How on earth can anyone do an audit, and miss €1.7bn of fake bank deposits? It absolutely beggars belief. I'm sure in the old days it was standard practice for auditors to write to banks, and to major creditors and debtors, to ask for confirmation of the account balances. What on earth do auditors do if they don't do that?

Parmalat did it in 2003, hiding something like EUR13bn of losses. Polly Peck, IIRC correctly, did the same. And I was involved in uncovering a similar scandal at Lernout & Hauspie about twenty years ago.

Most recently, in the UK, the management at Patisserie Valerie had faked letters from banks confirming there was no outstanding debt.

To my mind, the real offence that has been committed here is by BaFin, which took the word of the Wirecard CEO and went after short-sellers. Heads should roll at the German financial regulator, because it's one thing to miss an insolvent firm, it's another thing to be an effective accessory in a cover up.
    Kind of amazing how an industry responsible for accounting for billions of dollars hasn't managed to adopt even simple tech from the 1970s like digital signatures.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Charles said:

isam said:

It makes no sense not to have another referendum on Scottish Independence.

How can anyone argue that the decision in 2016 by the UK to leave the EU, while Scotland voted to Remain, doesn't constitute significant change to the basis on which they voted to stay part of the UK in 2014 is beyond me. Especially as a lot of the people making that argument did want another EU referendum just because the Remainers in parliament wouldn't respect the will o' the people

The criteria of “significant change” was made up by advocates of another referendum.

There need to be clear and simple principles on how often the question can be asked. Time is the easiest and most transparent. I like 20 years because it gives a frequent review without overshadowing the normal business of government
    Why not once per Parliament if that's what the public votes for?

No Parliament can bind its successor and if people want to stop having referenda they can stop electing politicians pledged to holding them.
  • Options
    Favorite Republican politicos whom I've met:

>> Joel Pritchard, US Representative & WA Lieutenant Governor - a moderate and more important a mensch, very warm & approachable; inventor of popular Seattle family game Pickleball.

>> Chris Vance King Co Councilmember, chairman WA State Republican Party & 2016 US Senate nominee - a conservative and skilled political infighter, also a man of principle; fought hard for Dino Rossi, who barely missed being Governor after epic, extremely close contested election; in 2016 as GOP nominee declared he would NEVER vote for Trump;

One I never met but who affected my family:

>> Bob Livingston, US Representative from Louisiana, conservative battler & Deep South pioneer who was briefly Newt Gingrich's successor as GOP House leader, but resigned before being elected Speaker due to past extramarital affair.

Why a favorite? Because at one point, my parents lived in his congressional district. And my mother saw an article somewhere, and contacted Rep. Livingston for help in obtaining a memorial stone for her brother who went Missing in Action over Japan in 1945. His office was VERY helpful, and in reasonably short order, the stone was place, next to the graves of his mother and father.

My mom was a Democrat, and proud of it. Who had nothing but GOOD things to say about Bob Livingston. And that goes for our whole family - and always will.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Looking at the RCP polling averages for swing states, Trump needs a swingback of about 3.5% between now and the election. Pennsylvania is the crucial state, where Biden has an average lead of 7%.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Kind of amazing how an industry responsible for accounting for billions of dollars hasn't managed to adopt even simple tech from the 1970s like digital signatures.
    Re digital signatures, here in great state of WA our Secretary of State, Republican Kim Wyman, has ruled that digital sigs are NOT acceptable for purpose of qualifying proposed voter initiatives & referenda for the general election ballot.

Doubt Democrats will challenge this, even though Wyman is up for re-election in 2020. Why? Mostly due to concern with potential computer hacking, specifically being certain person whose sig it is really is person submitting it; note that with handwritten sigs are checked against voter registration records, and any that appear photocopied are rejected along with mismatches & duplicates.
  • Options

>> Bob Livingston, US Representative from Louisiana, conservative battler & Deep South pioneer who was briefly Newt Gingrich's successor as GOP House leader, but resigned before being elected Speaker due to past extramarital affair.

The world is so unfair, imagine being disqualified from Newt Gingrich's job because of an extra-marital affair, only for it to go to Dennis Hastert...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Looking at the RCP polling averages for swing states, Trump needs a swingback of about 3.5% between now and the election. Pennsylvania is the crucial state, where Biden has an average lead of 7%.

One big reason why Uncle Joe may pick a Black woman for VP, is to boost turnout in Philadelphia, where African Americans are over 40% of population.
  • Options

The world is so unfair, imagine being disqualified from Newt Gingrich's job because of an extra-marital affair, only for it to go to Dennis Hastert...
    God does work in mysterious political ways. Like giving that Wicked Witch of the East the Gov of Toyko a freaking landslide.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Re digital signatures, here in great state of WA our Secretary of State, Republican Kim Wyman, has ruled that digital sigs are NOT acceptable for purpose of qualifying proposed voter initiatives & referenda for the general election ballot.

Doubt Democrats will challenge this, even though Wyman is up for re-election in 2020. Why? Mostly due to concern with potential computer hacking, specifically being certain person whose sig it is really is person submitting it; note that with handwritten sigs are checked against voter registration records, and any that appear photocopied are rejected along with mismatches & duplicates.
    I think there's some sense to it in that context in that the issue for a petition or a nomination is whether you can fake *lots* of signatures. Arguably with an electronic system it's harder to fake one specific person's signature than with paper, but easier to fake thousands.
  • Options
    "China has never interfered in the internal affairs of the UK."

Reckon MI-5 may beg to differ.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

"China has never interfered in the internal affairs of the UK."

Reckon MI-5 may beg to differ.

And who we give British passports to is our internal affair, in any case, not that of the Chinese.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

I think there's some sense to it in that context in that the issue for a petition or a nomination is whether you can fake *lots* of signatures. Arguably with an electronic system it's harder to fake one specific person's signature than with paper, but easier to fake thousands.
    For petitions, isn't the issue whether or not you can gain access to steal the digital version? Note for qualification only one sig per voter is counted toward number needed to make the ballot; any duplicates are rejected, and system is designed to catch duplicates.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Sandpit said:

MrEd said:

Floater said:

How on Earth is the breach of an international treaty lodged at the UN an "internal Chinese matter", but the immigration policy of the UK NOT an internal UK matter?

China is a genocidal menace. It is disgusting how company after company comes out against American police brutality but stays silent over far worse Chinese brutality in Hong Kong and Chinese genocide in Xinjiang?
    High & Mighty Yuan meets Almighty Dollar, Proud Pound, Eager Euro, etc., etc.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

Yet Panelbase has 58% of English Tories and a massive 85% of Scottish Tories saying Boris should block indyref2, so there is zero chance of Boris granting one even if the SNP win a majority next year as the Tory base is so opposed to it.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/shiny-beads-and-trinkets/

However 54% of English Labour voters think indyref2 should be granted, so it looks like the SNP will have to wait until a Starmer Premiership for the chance of a second referendum being allowed by Westminster.

The comparison with the 2016 EU referendum is not really valid as that was 41 years after the first EEC referendum of 1975, indyref1 was only 6 years ago and No won what was in Salmond's words 'a once in a generation referendum.'

Indeed in Quebec it took 15 years for them to have their second referendum on independence from Canada in 1995 after their first in 1980

You lot miss the point, time and again.

Governance is with the consent of the governed.

If you don't have that, you're running a tyrannical empire.

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    ydoethur said:

What Blair should have done is reformed the constitution from the guts up, via a Royal Commission and with the backing of at least the Liberal Democrats. But through a curious mixture of timidity and megalomania he preferred his ‘parish council’ and appointed Parliament.

Spot on. His second-greatest sin.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

He seems to be regularly commenting on liking OAN - One America News.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Hey, T-B, how tricks? Don't think I've seen you since I returned to the parish.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Doing good - how about you? being of a certain age and with a slight touch of asthma, I am mainly resting in place with occasional sallies forth to restaurants or the market for provisions. GA opened up at the start of May. How the poor buggers in England (like my sister in law) put up with it for so long is beyond me.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:
    As a Democratic partisan (most of the time) it's the Democratic crooks, con-artists & crumb-bums I hate the most - hang 'em high (am now viewing "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly")

As Republican with at least a modicum of moral & political sense, reckon the author feels the same about GOP crap-heads, shysters and scum-buckets.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Doing good - how about you? being of a certain age and with a slight touch of asthma, I am mainly resting in place with occasional sallies forth to restaurants or the market for provisions. GA opened up at the start of May. How the poor buggers in England (like my sister in law) put up with it for so long is beyond me.
    Glad you & yours are (mostly) healthy & (hopefully) happy. And staying crazy in the good old cracker way. Yes, what we call lock-down in Sea (and now in Altanta) is a joke compared to UK. Personally am risky (including medically) have been staying in place save for short trips for provisions, and to meet friend (outside on front porch) for coffee,

SO who do you think will prevail in GA US Senate race this Fall? AND any thoughts re: Alabama runoff this month?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Glad you & yours are (mostly) healthy & (hopefully) happy. And staying crazy in the good old cracker way. Yes, what we call lock-down in Sea (and now in Altanta) is a joke compared to UK. Personally am risky (including medically) have been staying in place save for short trips for provisions, and to meet friend (outside on front porch) for coffee,

SO who do you think will prevail in GA US Senate race this Fall? AND any thoughts re: Alabama runoff this month?
    Glad you're well.

Regarding the fall elections, to be honest I've yet to take much of an interest even though the first debate is on 9/29 at Notre Dame. So it's probably time I did.GA is becoming a purple state
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2020
    Bianca Williams: Athlete accuses police of racial profiling after vehicle search

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/53301318

So are the police supposed to ignore cars been driven on the wrong side of the road and not chase them if they refuse to stop and speed off, in the cases of where drivers are black? And then just walk away when the occupants refuse to get out of the car?

It sounds like the individuals did everything you shouldn't do, then wonder why the police give them a hard time.
  • Options
    Re: Alabama US Senate GOP runnoff primary, I'm torn.

As a Democrat, rather hope Jeffie pulls it out, just because that would REALLY get under Trumpsky's skin. But otherwise choice between cutting your cocktail with kerosene or turpentine.

As an LSU graduate, a plague on both your houses, 'Bama and Auburn. BUT yours truly likes former UA star quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. So again have to give the nod to Beauregard.
  • Options
    Yesterday there were less than 100 deaths from Covid-19 in western/central Europe, (ie. Europe excluding Russia, Belarus and Ukraine).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    Asian stocks flying up this morning, HK up 3.5%, Shanghai 5% and Tokyo 2%
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,481
    Scott_xP said:
    Centralise power in Number 10; infect all the key Number 10 decision makers; cast around for someone to blame. #ClassicDom.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Bianca Williams: Athlete accuses police of racial profiling after vehicle search

So are the police supposed to ignore cars been driven on the wrong side of the road and not chase them if they refuse to stop and speed off, in the cases of where drivers are black? And then just walk away when the occupants refuse to get out of the car?

It sounds like the individuals did everything you shouldn't do, then wonder why the police give them a hard time.

We do seem to be getting a drip drip of reports at the moment concerning black people claiming that they've been picked on by police, but lack the context to determine whether or not this is true. For all we know, coppers patrolling a particular stretch of road may have stopped 28 cars in a week, 27 with white drivers and 1 with a black driver. The media are primed and ready to jump on the 1 case the moment the individual concerned cries foul; nobody is interested in the other 27.

It's very awkward because a fair amount of genuine discrimination still exists in society but it does not, of course, follow that every claim of unfair treatment is true.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    edited July 2020

On the other hand, I’m fairly sure a white couple with an infant child in the car would not have been handcuffed and subjected to a 45 minute search.

The Met have form...
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/04/police-smash-car-window-ryan-colaco-tv-interview-racism
    ... When an officer smashed in the window of Ryan Colaço’s car, after he was wrongly accused of concealing drugs, they did not know he was driving home from a TV interview in which he told of institutional racism in the police after being stopped and searched the week before.

In the original incident, in Northumberland Park, north London, at 11am on 23 May, Colaço said he was stopped after being “aggressively tailgated” by the Metropolitan police, with officers then running to his car and banging on his window. They later said they had been able to smell cannabis from his car.

As he queried why he was being stopped, Colaço, 30, was forced into handcuffs, video footage shows. He agreed to leave his car and stood with officers who searched him, while others combed through his BMW and found nothing...

• Options
    "The Prisoner is more accurate than Orwell
    Everyone lives in fear of saying the wrong thing, not joining in, and being declared ‘unmutual’
    By Gareth Roberts"

https://unherd.com/2020/07/why-the-prisoner-is-more-accurate-than-orwell/
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    Nigelb said:

On the other hand, I’m fairly sure a white couple with an infant child in the car would not have been handcuffed and subjected to a 45 minute search.

The Met have form...
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/04/police-smash-car-window-ryan-colaco-tv-interview-racism
    ... When an officer smashed in the window of Ryan Colaço’s car, after he was wrongly accused of concealing drugs, they did not know he was driving home from a TV interview in which he told of institutional racism in the police after being stopped and searched the week before.

In the original incident, in Northumberland Park, north London, at 11am on 23 May, Colaço said he was stopped after being “aggressively tailgated” by the Metropolitan police, with officers then running to his car and banging on his window. They later said they had been able to smell cannabis from his car.

As he queried why he was being stopped, Colaço, 30, was forced into handcuffs, video footage shows. He agreed to leave his car and stood with officers who searched him, while others combed through his BMW and found nothing...

It has long been a racist stereotype, that a black person driving a BMW must be a dealer. How else could they get the money?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

Oh, well I'm sure the police are always in the wrong then.

My police office friend says it's getting to the stage where cops don't want to do anything proactive in the slightest. Basically, they'll investigate crimes when they've happened, but as for preventative measures, forget it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

My police office friend says it's getting to the stage where cops don't want to do anything proactive in the slightest. Basically, they'll investigate crimes when they've happened, but as for preventative measures, forget it.
    Is that really the dichotomy? Either the police are always in the right or the police are always in the wrong.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

Is that really the dichotomy? Either the police are always in the right or the police are always in the wrong.
    No, that was the point of my post.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

AIUI, it's not so much that the people in these two incidents were stopped, it's the aggressive way the police went about it.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

AIUI, it's not so much that the people in these two incidents were stopped, it's the aggressive way the police went about it.
    From the BBC piece:

They fear they were targeted because they are black and drive a Mercedes.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

Do the police in the Territorial Support Group use police or unmarked cars? Genuine question.

• Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

Do the police in the Territorial Support Group use police or unmarked cars? Genuine question.

I have no idea - what would the significance be of them using either?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

Oh, well I'm sure the police are always in the wrong then...
    Which is not what I said.

Both your and your friend’s response suggest a lack of interest in whether or not there’s an underlying problem which needs addressing.
    Police have a tough job to do. The Met’s frequently documented racial bias makes that job more difficult.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Charles said:

isam said:

How can anyone argue that the decision in 2016 by the UK to leave the EU, while Scotland voted to Remain, doesn't constitute significant change to the basis on which they voted to stay part of the UK in 2014 is beyond me. Especially as a lot of the people making that argument did want another EU referendum just because the Remainers in parliament wouldn't respect the will o' the people

The criteria of “significant change” was made up by advocates of another referendum.

There need to be clear and simple principles on how often the question can be asked. Time is the easiest and most transparent. I like 20 years because it gives a frequent review without overshadowing the normal business of government

No Parliament can bind its successor and if people want to stop having referenda they can stop electing politicians pledged to holding them.
    Charles is thinking of his bankbook not democracy, he would prefer we remain a colony against our will.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    Andy_JS said:

"The Prisoner is more accurate than Orwell
    Everyone lives in fear of saying the wrong thing, not joining in, and being declared ‘unmutual’
    By Gareth Roberts"

https://unherd.com/2020/07/why-the-prisoner-is-more-accurate-than-orwell/

a very good read.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

Even if I'd been driving for a short distance on the wrong side of the road, if someone in an unmarked car started tailgating me I wouldn't stop unless it was clearly safe to do so. In other words, where there were plenty of people about.
    Or if I saw a police station.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

Minibuses marked "territorial support group".

ETA turns out there is a TSG Wikipedia page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Support_Group

ETA 2 -- someone has helpfully made a video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDHFH52vnU
  • Options

On the very few occassions I have had dealings with plod over the years, after a motor accident or for being stopped for having a dirty rear number plate (which was an automotive safety issue apparently) I remained respectful at all times. Respecting the police was what my parents taught me.

Nonetheless, Jack Regan and Gene Hunt live on in a few coppers I have rubbed shoulders with through my wife's social services work.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

Even if I'd been driving for a short distance on the wrong side of the road, if someone in an unmarked car started tailgating me I wouldn't stop unless it was clearly safe to do so. In other words, where there were plenty of people about.
    Even if unmarked they normally have blue lights fitted behind the grill/back parcel shelf
  • Options

On the very few occassions I have had dealings with plod over the years, after a motor accident or for being stopped for having a dirty rear number plate (which was an automotive safety issue apparently) I remained respectful at all times. Respecting the police was what my parents taught me.

Nonetheless, Jack Regan and Gene Hunt live on in a few coppers I have rubbed shoulders with through my wife's social services work.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

Oh, well I'm sure the police are always in the wrong then...
    Which is not what I said.

Both your and your friend’s response suggest a lack of interest in whether or not there’s an underlying problem which needs addressing.
    Police have a tough job to do. The Met’s frequently documented racial bias makes that job more difficult.
    Far more media attention is given to claims against the police than crimes against the police. Yes, there are times when the police get it wrong and this should be highlighted. But we hear sweet fuck all about what's happening to those who perpetrated violence against officers over the last month. The police are expected to put themselves in harms way, yet the media automatically assumes that they are guilty when some d-list celeb kicks off.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,807

Driving on the wrong side of the road in residential London? A necessity on nearly journey to avoid parked cars.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

It’s a horrible situation for the police, they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

They only ever have a brief description to go from, so they get reports almost every night of “Two black men in a silver BMW, dealing drugs in Brixton”

There’s always information missing from these stories, and it’s definitely easier to accuse the police of racism on your large platform than it is to admit you might have being doing something that drew their attention.

Accusations of racism, or more accurately the fear of them, are contributing factors towards certain areas of London having a big problem with gang violence.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

It doesn't happen now I'm an old man, but on a couple of occasions when much younger I was treated very aggressively in spite of being polite and respectful.
    Of course that was a long time ago.
  • Options

Ive been stopped once in 30 years driving, I was speeding, and managed to talk my way out of it with a warning. If Id been stopped 15 times in 3 years I wouldnt be in the mindset to talk my out of it either.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    edited July 2020

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

Yeah, well that's why good policing is difficult. Not all the bad guys wear black hats and good ones white.

Anyway that is all 'old hat' so to speak and reasonable people as well as reasonable coppers know the reality is always more difficult than the theory, so instead of labouring the matter I'll tell you a funny and mildly related story.

I used to walk my dog late at nite around the parks of Wanstead. We'd often see drug dealers hanging around, looking shifty. They weren't bothered by us, and I just ignored them, but the dog didn't like them. She would snarl and growl as we went past, pulling at the lead and staring back at them until we were well by. She knew. It was just the vibe.

Now wouldn't she have made a good copper! No question of color prejudice with her, and no holding back either.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

It’s a horrible situation for the police, they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

They only ever have a brief description to go from, so they get reports almost every night of “Two black men in a silver BMW, dealing drugs in Brixton”

There’s always information missing from these stories, and it’s definitely easier to accuse the police of racism on your large platform than it is to admit you might have being doing something that drew their attention.

Accusations of racism, or more accurately the fear of them, are contributing factors towards certain areas of London having a big problem with gang violence.
    Well if accusations of racism are a problem, perhaps the police might kindly stop being so blatantly racist? Stuff like saying they can smell cannabis from someones car is just nonsense.
  • Options

It doesn't happen now I'm an old man, but on a couple of occasions when much younger I was treated very aggressively in spite of being polite and respectful.
    Of course that was a long time ago.
    I went to the funeral of aady in her 90s a couple of years ago. Her father had been a policeman in the early part of the 20th Century. Her son regaled how as a child she was emotionally scarred for life by the beating she and her mother and sister would get most evenings after he came back from work.

I would like to think that sort of aggressive superiority is a thing of the past.
  • Options

We do seem to be getting a drip drip of reports at the moment concerning black people claiming that they've been picked on by police, but lack the context to determine whether or not this is true. For all we know, coppers patrolling a particular stretch of road may have stopped 28 cars in a week, 27 with white drivers and 1 with a black driver. The media are primed and ready to jump on the 1 case the moment the individual concerned cries foul; nobody is interested in the other 27.

It's very awkward because a fair amount of genuine discrimination still exists in society but it does not, of course, follow that every claim of unfair treatment is true.
    Do we really lack the context? It does not matter if every single true report is true and not exaggerated (Im sure some will be misleading or not balanced accounts), the police's own statistics and the governments Lammy review make it perfectly clear that there is a problem which is in line with this anecdotal evidence.

Why not just make the changes from the Lammy review and reduce the scale of the problem?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

If SLAB could actually find a decent leader that would help.

You’ve put your finger on it. The key problem for all the Unionist parties is lack of talent. All three of them have been so negative for so long that they have crippled recruitment. SLab haven’t had a decent intake since the 1980s, with all the good ones since then having slowly drifted off.

Constantly thundering on about how crap Scotland is is designed to discourage young people.

Garden Walker above says that nobody has made a case for the Union for a long time. There are two reasons for this:

1. there is no case to be made
    2. even if there were, there is no authoritative, respected voice to deliver it to the key floating voters

Unionists focus far too much on their core voters. That is a hopeless strategy designed to fail. They must reach out to Middle Scotland. Politicians like Johnson, Carlaw, Leonard and Rennie are never going to achieve that. They just wouldn’t know where to start.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

Well if accusations of racism are a problem, perhaps the police might kindly stop being so blatantly racist? Stuff like saying they can smell cannabis from someones car is just nonsense.
    As a youngster about two decades ago, I used to work late in the service industry. Driving home at 2 or 3am every Saturday night, I’d get pulled over every few weeks and asked to blow in the bag. They’d come up with all sorts of reasons for their random stop, and if you actually did have a blown light bulb on the car then a stop was almost certain.

Like most law-abiding members of the community, I didn’t care if I was stopped every week, was always polite to the guys and girls doing their job and were happy that their efforts were slowly getting the drink-drivers off the road. Which they did - among a certain group of acquaintances, those who insisted on driving home from their night out all got picked off one by one over the course of a few years.

It’s easy to say the police are stopping you because they’re racist, when they’re actually stopping you because you’re driving erratically.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Edward Carson
    William Graham
    John Boyd-Carpenter

all come to mind

EC was lord carson. WG was (I think) early 19th century - his dad was behind Graham’s port
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MrEd said:

Floater said:

May be if China stopped breaking the Treaty between the U.K. and itself we wouldn’t have to protect the interests of the people of Hong Kong
  • Options

Charles said:

isam said:

Because Parliament is for day to day government

No one benefits from a permanent state of constitutional upheaval
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Charles said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Because Parliament is for day to day government

No one benefits from a permanent state of constitutional upheaval
    You may think nobody benefits from it perhaps but democracy matters. If people don't want a state of upheaval then they shouldn't vote for a permanent state of constitutional upheaval.

If the people have voted for upheaval then they should get it. If they haven't they shouldn't. What's wrong with that concept?
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:
    Isn’t there some saying about the fanaticism of the convert?

Hardly value added commentary in any event
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles is thinking of his bankbook not democracy, he would prefer we remain a colony against our will.
    I don’t know what you like in your relationships, but I see Scotland as an equal partner, not some kind of weird submission thing
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

They have a red light that they use to signal people to stop
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

But a huge part of the campaign for Scotland to stay as part of the Union relied on our being part of the EU didn't it? Or am I imagining/misremembering? If so, the UK voting to leave changes everything, particularly as Scotland voted 62-38 Remain
    You are not misremembering. Yes campaigners have a vast arsenal of 2014 Unionist literature and quotes stating that a Yes vote meant leaving the EU. Turns out the exact opposite was true. Folk aren’t mugs and don’t like being treated as such.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

The Met have form...

From the BBC piece:

If he is being uncooperative it gives them probable cause.
This discussion has been closed.