Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It appears Brexit and the handling of Covid-19 by the Scottish

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294
    HYUFD said:
    He does know that he's not actually Chancellor doesn't he?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

America -- Dem Veep -- in the last few minutes, Kamala Harris has gone for a walk on Betfair, and Susan Rice has come in a point. No idea why. Earlier today the Duckworth fans were nibbling away.

Personally think Susan Rice would be a BAD choice. Why? Because her extensive experience at NSA and UN would NOT be pluses, but the opposite - Americans are NOT focused on foreign affairs right now (even the trade war) and why would Dems want to make Libya & Syria campaign fodder for the GOP?

Methinks there may be a large degree of misdirection by the Biden campaign re: VP pick - because there ALWAYS is at this stage of the selection process.
    Is there not the possibility that they could have a President concentrating on domestic affairs but a VP who has lots of international experience so can keep a weather eye on foreign affairs to make sure nothing catches them by surprise politically?
    You mean like the Cheney-Bush administration? Let's hope not!

VPs should NOT have an independent role. At most should be high-level executive assistants. Like Biden was to Obama. IF that's not in the cards, then best they can do is to keep themselves in readiness to break ties in the Senate.

Note that Calvin's Coolidge's VP, Charles G. Dawes, failed at this simple test. First he tried to lecture the senators and get them to shape up - they told him to put a sock in it. Then he failed to turn up to break a tie on confirmation of a key presidential nomination - and Silent Cal scratched CGD off his dance card, permanently.
    I seem to remember that the VP was originally the runner up in the Presidential elections, which rather implies the Framers intended the role to have independent executive authority
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,904
    kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, the time of Johnson is blissfully transient. England has a much higher level of inward migration than Scotland which naturally helps explain the difference in attitude.

The EU point also relates to cities in England and its towns and cities. And it's worth remembering a great many Scots did vote to leave (although a minority, of course).

One can bat things around but it feels increasingly like another country. And I think the vote will be settled on that level. Forget spreadsheets.

As to your points. (1) Johnson is not forever but the fact we voted for a person like this as PM is forever, i.e. it shows a chasm in culture and attitudes. (2) That probably does partly explain it but the "it" very much remains. (3) England ex London (which is not really England) was as clear for Leave as Scotland was for Remain. Again, a chasm between the 2 nations on a massive issue of identity.

They're gone, I think. 10 years max.
    I think there's a view that the English and Welsh were insubordinate towards the Scots, by supporting Leave, and by electing Conservative governments.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Looks like the Sunday Times scored another palpable hit...

https://twitter.com/Number10press/status/1279832383592808448

Based on that response it looks like the Sunday Times has been making stuff up again.
    I wonder if you'd be saying that if it was about Labour
    Well it’s a factual denial of two points which is presumably easy to prove.

I haven’t read the article so I can’t comment on whether the points are tangential or central to the Sunday Times’ case.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

sarissa said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Who among we English wouldn’t rather have Nicola managing us through the virus crisis rather than Boris?

Dunno. I’m rather fed up with her now.
    I think she’s a grievance monger, a control freak, and rather petty in the way she has tried to communicate a “better, Scottish” covid policy.

Scots deserve fun too.

I’m not sure they get it from Sturgeon.
    Have to agree with this, she's done as badly as the government but given it better branding and her sycophants in Scotland paint any criticism as being anti-Scotland.

I'm very worried that she's completely screwing up the opening of the economy on purpose so that when the government refuse to bail her out with additional employment and business support measures she can claim that it's an English plot and the value of the Union is zero. She seems to be content with smashing the Scottish economy and that's very worrying.

Every time Sunak or Boris speak it's very clear they see the economy as the major priority in this, whenever I see Nicola on TV she seems not to give a fuck about the economy and seems more interested in showing her "different" strategy to England despite the conditions being basically the same and no evidence that the government opening up the economy has really been all that bad anyway. Now this new threat of keeping English tourists out and the ridiculous people at the border is just another example of how Nicola is happy to screw the Scottish economy just to be different to England.
    At the moment, perceptions are entirely dominated by the virus. Stats on deaths, infections, and so on.

In six months' time we will have a better idea of the economic carnage. I am already hearing wails of pain from people getting sacked

A very different context.
    But the stats in Scotland are just as bad as England once population density is taken into account.
    Rubbish they are miles better, 64% of English rates.
    https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/
    Yes and Scotland has around 30% of the population density. However you want to cut it Scotland has done very poorly at this.
    So that's the reason Spain has done so much better that Germany? Oh hang on a minute.....
    And the reason England has done so much better than the Netherlands. #Covidnationalism
    But who is saying that? You're the ones saying Scotland has done better than England and that Nicola has had a better crisis than the reality. She's crap, admit it.
    Max you were the one that said Scotland was worse, we showed you the reality and now you are whining like a spoilt brat. Stop digging and go lick your wounds and stop making a richard head of yourself.
    Your figures did not contradict what he said.
    Rob, I do not know what numbers you read but for me 455 is less than 708. That tells me Scotland had 64% of the death rate of England. Can you dispute that fact or have I gone as doolally as a Tory.
    Max was talking about correcting for population density. Population is not the same as population density.
    For god's sake, all of Scotland's population is crowded into the central belt
    "All".

Or 70%......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland

Nats & Maths.....$115 oil, anyone?
    But add the urban areas of the Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen conurbations and now Inverness and you'll get well over that percentage.
    Dundee and Perth are included in that Wiki estimate.....

Around 70% of the country's population (3.5 million) live in the Central Belt —a region stretching in a northeast-southwest orientation between the major cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow, and including the major settlements of Paisley, Stirling, Falkirk, Perth and Dundee
    So they are indeed. I just didn't think of them as in the central belt. Perth is certainly not in the Midland Valley (which is what I was taught about at school).

What one really needs is an analysis which slices the distribution of population in Scotland vs England into slices and compares the result. An average density doesn't work for this sort of discussion.
    I always thought of it as between the Highland Boundary fault and the Southern Upload Fault.

Perth is definitely in that zone (Dunkeld is on the fault line).

It wouldn't be too hard to compare constituency size / population. Is there any data available at a smaller scale?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,368

CatMan said:

Have we discussed this? :D

Twitter link

We can all do that!

Doesn't Johnson look young for a man in his mid eighties!

That's what comes of never having to do a day's work in a lifetime.
    And he still achieved nothing in all those years
    I disagree. Rejoining the EU was a master stroke after the economic after shock of the 10 year Covid-19 pandemic. And I find it so much easier
    abroad since we joined the Euro. I also believe the NHS is vastly improved now it is run by the Federal Government in Berlin. Perhaps the biggest and most pleasant surprise was when in 2024 he crossed the floor of the house to lead the Labour Party.
    To be fair, the Alien invasion of Earth made people rethink their priorities.
    I was just happy for 25 years of non-Tory Government.
    There was no way back for the Tories after the revelation that the aliens had secretly been backing them for years and that Cummings had been one of them all along....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Based on that response it looks like the Sunday Times has been making stuff up again.
    "General Sir Patrick Sanders, who as Commander of Strategic Command is in charge of all the MoD’s special forces and intelligence units, “boasted” about his work on cyber-warfare but a source present said Cummings “shot him down in flames” leaving Sanders “humiliated”."

This seems very specific to be made up.
    The government said Cummings didn’t meet with service chiefs last month. They could be playing with the date or with the definition of “service chiefs” but that would be an extreme hostage to fortune in an easily proveable point of fact
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,240
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, the time of Johnson is blissfully transient. England has a much higher level of inward migration than Scotland which naturally helps explain the difference in attitude.

The EU point also relates to cities in England and its towns and cities. And it's worth remembering a great many Scots did vote to leave (although a minority, of course).

One can bat things around but it feels increasingly like another country. And I think the vote will be settled on that level. Forget spreadsheets.

As to your points. (1) Johnson is not forever but the fact we voted for a person like this as PM is forever, i.e. it shows a chasm in culture and attitudes. (2) That probably does partly explain it but the "it" very much remains. (3) England ex London (which is not really England) was as clear for Leave as Scotland was for Remain. Again, a chasm between the 2 nations on a massive issue of identity.

They're gone, I think. 10 years max.
    I think there's a view that the English and Welsh were insubordinate towards the Scots, by supporting Leave, and by electing Conservative governments.
    Funny kind of insubordination that results in the insubordinates imposing their view of the rest. Is that how it works in armies?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,293
    IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Have we discussed this? :D

Twitter link

We can all do that!

Doesn't Johnson look young for a man in his mid eighties!

That's what comes of never having to do a day's work in a lifetime.
    And he still achieved nothing in all those years
    I disagree. Rejoining the EU was a master stroke after the economic after shock of the 10 year Covid-19 pandemic. And I find it so much easier
    abroad since we joined the Euro. I also believe the NHS is vastly improved now it is run by the Federal Government in Berlin. Perhaps the biggest and most pleasant surprise was when in 2024 he crossed the floor of the house to lead the Labour Party.
    To be fair, the Alien invasion of Earth made people rethink their priorities.
    I was just happy for 25 years of non-Tory Government.
    There was no way back for the Tories after the revelation that the aliens had secretly been backing them for years and that Cummings had been one of them all along....
    Yes, I'll never forget the PM's grovelling apology to David Icke.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    re: US presidential candidate vice presidential running mates, just did quickie analysis of 15 elections from 1960 through 2016.

>> of 15 Democratic VP picks, two were of significant help in close elections, (Lyndon Johnson 1960 & Walter Mondale1976), while one was VERY unhelpful (Thomas Eagleton 1972) and one who made history proved a mixed bag (Geraldine Ferarro 1984) electorally, while another was a retrospective mistake (John Edwards 2004). Rest were a wash, though one (Tim Kaine 2016) was worthless in a close race.

>> of 15 Republican VP picks, in close races one was electorally helpful in close race (Mike Pence 2016), while one was not (Bob Dole 1976); one was a drag on the ticket but not fatally (Dan Quayle 1988 & 1992) and another was a retrospective downer (Spiro Agnew 1968 & 1972). Rest were a wash, though two were pretty lame/lackluster (Henry Cabot Lodge 1960 & Jack Kemp 1996).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312

Mr. kinabalu, Corbyn was absolutely toxic for Labour in 2019. That's not some minor factor.

Nor was Brexit. Nor was "Boris".

Back to the point -

Scotland and England rejected Corbyn. But Scotland rejected Brexit and "Boris" whereas England embraced both.

This is a chasm.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Scott_xP said:
    Doesn't sound like a focus on the Red Wall / Blue Wall.

I guess we'll discover whether Rishi Rich prefers opera or ballet.
  • Options
    Charles said:

America -- Dem Veep -- in the last few minutes, Kamala Harris has gone for a walk on Betfair, and Susan Rice has come in a point. No idea why. Earlier today the Duckworth fans were nibbling away.

Personally think Susan Rice would be a BAD choice. Why? Because her extensive experience at NSA and UN would NOT be pluses, but the opposite - Americans are NOT focused on foreign affairs right now (even the trade war) and why would Dems want to make Libya & Syria campaign fodder for the GOP?

Methinks there may be a large degree of misdirection by the Biden campaign re: VP pick - because there ALWAYS is at this stage of the selection process.
    Is there not the possibility that they could have a President concentrating on domestic affairs but a VP who has lots of international experience so can keep a weather eye on foreign affairs to make sure nothing catches them by surprise politically?
    You mean like the Cheney-Bush administration? Let's hope not!

VPs should NOT have an independent role. At most should be high-level executive assistants. Like Biden was to Obama. IF that's not in the cards, then best they can do is to keep themselves in readiness to break ties in the Senate.

Note that Calvin's Coolidge's VP, Charles G. Dawes, failed at this simple test. First he tried to lecture the senators and get them to shape up - they told him to put a sock in it. Then he failed to turn up to break a tie on confirmation of a key presidential nomination - and Silent Cal scratched CGD off his dance card, permanently.
    I seem to remember that the VP was originally the runner up in the Presidential elections, which rather implies the Framers intended the role to have independent executive authority
    Only two jobs for VP in US Constitution as written by Founding Fathers, and never amended:

1) succeed the President of US in case of vacancy; and

2) preside as President of US Senate without a vote except to break ties.

ZERO executive authority as VP contemplated or desired. A fact that presidents, senators and everyone else made clear right from the start.

Note that when first VP, John Adams, tried to act like active presiding officer in the Senate, the real senators shot him down right from the start.

Guy who ensured VPs would NOT get real job was Aaron Burr, who tried to connive his way into the White House in 1800, but came in 2nd and (under constitution at that time) was thus elected VP but was persona non grata.

The rise of VP as a top executive assistant - nothing more - came about for purely political, electoral reasons, starting with Ike using Tricky Dick in that role - sort of. Of course, most notable example is Dickhead Cheney. NOT a great precedent!!!!

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,885
    kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, Corbyn was absolutely toxic for Labour in 2019. That's not some minor factor.

Nor was Brexit. Nor was "Boris".

Back to the point -

Scotland and England rejected Corbyn. But Scotland rejected Brexit and "Boris" whereas England embraced both.

This is a chasm.
    An elderly and UNionist relative of mine, whose politis were set before the Suez Crisis and could not cope with even trying to discuss the SNP rational;ly even when their policies were very much those which he favoured, could only shake his head at the sight of the southrons (mostly) electing a "clown" (his word, not mine).

It should be remembered that even the Scottish Tory MPs rejected Mr Johnson, till they realised which side they thought their bread was buttered. Not to much avail, in terms of Cabinet positions and the like.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Is George touting for a patron of the arts gig now the Evening Standard sideways move has given him some time on his hands?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

"General Sir Patrick Sanders, who as Commander of Strategic Command is in charge of all the MoD’s special forces and intelligence units, “boasted” about his work on cyber-warfare but a source present said Cummings “shot him down in flames” leaving Sanders “humiliated”."

This seems very specific to be made up.
    The government said Cummings didn’t meet with service chiefs last month. They could be playing with the date or with the definition of “service chiefs” but that would be an extreme hostage to fortune in an easily proveable point of fact
    Denial who met who when & what precisely was said could be technically accurate. By same token, the substance as alleged by ST could also be fundamentally correct even if details are not quite.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771

Scott_xP said:

Its not just theatres, though those desperately need help, but everything from independent music venues to music festivals.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps he's into bluegrass & clog dancing?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Thrash Metal I believe.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

Scott_xP said:

The Tories need to defend Esher and Walton and Kensington too
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Its not just theatres, though those desperately need help, but everything from independent music venues to music festivals.

Absolutely. We’ve suspended commercial activities in our home to give the space over to the performing arts (including poetry and literature) plus building capability for digital streaming of performance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I notice you didn't mention Chingford. A defence resource too far? Even if Johnson gets another landslide I am expecting and looking forward to IDS's Portillo moment in 2024 with some relish.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I notice you didn't mention Chingford. A defence resource too far? Even if Johnson gets another landslide I am expecting and looking forward to IDS's Portillo moment in 2024 with some relish.
    I wonder how many resources will be wasted on unseating him?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The rumour is he will stand down before.
    Plus Chingford is more football than opera and ballet and does not have a big theatre
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,117
    Scott_xP said:

£1.5bn for the arts

Lord Protector Gove looking after his pastimes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I look forward to the cash injection into the Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,133

I look forward to the cash injection into the Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club.

https://twitter.com/RomeshRanga/status/1279725357617250304
  • Options
    Off Topic - The day US Border Control agents detained a Mexican immigrant and denied him water on a hot desert day - his 96th birthday.

Turned out he was the former Governor of Arizona.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/arizona-immigration-new-nativists.html?searchResultPosition=6
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

And when a good fraction of them get back to work it'll be his jobs miracle?

Not for the ones that don't. If it's like here, there may be entire industries that just die out.
    I am amazed that this notion passes the PB Tories by. They fall over themselves with excitement at the prospect that current opinion polls have the Conservatives polling at GE 2019 levels. The GE is 4 years out, with so much likely to go wrong.
    PBTories shitpost klaxon

I mean, in the 10th year of Ed Miliband's premiership, you've got to let us have our dreams.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Scott_xP said:
    The bigger story might just be the Wirecard scandal on the front page.

Remind me about the financial sector decamping to Frankfurt again?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,904
    edited July 2020

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The speed at which Chingford has shifted Left is a real surprise to me. There must be nowhere else that has seen the right wing vote fall by 12% since 2015.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Seems a bit greedy to take the whole £1.5 billion.

Couldn’t you leave £500 million for Landywood Snooker Club?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I have 2 cards from UK, World leading Fintech, next-gen providers.

Both used Wirecard as the back-end.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

What's the attraction over just using your bank card?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Are these the same guys who sold me a phone card (via Boots or suchlike) in London many moons ago? Only tried to use the thing once, to book a hostel in Bolongna - could never get a call to go through, which meant I fly to Italy on afternoon flight with no place certain to lay my weary head that night.

Turned out their entire system was down ("technical difficulties") the very day I needed to use it. Things worked out fine on the Italian end (thanks to the kindness of a nice British Italian couple) but still want my 5 quid refunded - with interest!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,782
    edited July 2020

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If he loses, he'll just be given a seat in the Lords and it will be like it never happened. God bless British Democracy.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Which makes it very important that such firms are not in Germany, or even the EU, given the nature of its regulators.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Are these the same guys who sold me a phone card (via Boots or suchlike) in London many moons ago? Only tried to use the thing once, to book a hostel in Bolongna - could never get a call to go through, which meant I fly to Italy on afternoon flight with no place certain to lay my weary head that night.

Turned out their entire system was down ("technical difficulties") the very day I needed to use it. Things worked out fine on the Italian end (thanks to the kindness of a nice British Italian couple) but still want my 5 quid refunded - with interest!
    So that will be £4.95 sir, will it?
  • Options

Off Topic - The day US Border Control agents detained a Mexican immigrant and denied him water on a hot desert day - his 96th birthday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/arizona-immigration-new-nativists.html?searchResultPosition=6

I think it’s shocking that a Democrat President could allow such cruel behaviour on his watch
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The speed at which Chingford has shifted Left is a real surprise to me. There must be nowhere else that has seen the right wing vote fall by 12% since 2015.
    Demographic creep? Which is big boost for Democrats in many US suburbs, including in metro Seattle, as older residents relocate due to retirement (including permanent) and are replaced by newcomers who are younger, less conservative politically/socially & more diverse.

My own hood in north Seattle was GOP turf until late '60s. Areas in city further north voted Republican until 1980s. Inner suburbs started turning blue around turn of century, and twenty years later GOP elected officials in King County confined to peripheral, exurban redoubts.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not my cup of tea, but I agree. Life without clubs, comedy and music post covid is rather too grim.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I think it’s shocking that a Democrat President could allow such cruel behaviour on his watch
    He didn't know about it until it had happened. Problem was & is inbred racism of forces of order, esp. border guards. Which Trump has tried to exacerbate for political and personal reasons (God help him on both counts). NOT the case with his predecessor.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Wirecard UK has its operating licence back and it may end up being the sole surving part of the company headquartered in Newcastle.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Which makes it very important that such firms are not in Germany, or even the EU, given the nature of its regulators.
    It definitely raises questions over the quality of regulatory oversight in Germany, the EU has opened an investigation into the whole situation. Honestly, I can't see this happening here. The FCA has its own set of flaws and auditors I've come across always strike me as dull rather than criminally incompetent.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

So that will be £4.95 sir, will it?
    Heck, by the time I fill out the paperwork, yours truly would be the one owing these bums money. Tell you what - YOU collect my rightful compensation, and treat yourself to some mushy peas or other UKer treat!

Anyway, must confess that I got more than even with the British Establishment. How? Well, flew on BA from Heathrow to Warsaw - they lost my checked luggage. Got it three days later. When I pointed this out to BA desk on Warsaw when checking in for return flight, they said yours truly was entitled to $50 per day for my troubles = 150 bucks; But they could NOT pay it out right there; check back in London, they said.

OK. When I got to London, I did just that, was told they would need to contact Warsaw to confirm my claim; No sweat, me says, am heading to Dublin & will check back here in a week. Fine, the man tells me: and what happened again, and what did they tell you? Replied that BA had lost my luggage for 3 days (I washed my one shirt nightly in a sink) and that I was to be compensated at rate of 50 pounds per day = 150 quid.

When I returned for Dublin, en route back home, stopped at BA office and collected my 150 pounds cash. Paid for my week in Dublin. So hey, I'm OK.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not my cup of tea, but I agree. Life without clubs, comedy and music post covid is rather too grim.
    Have a song in your heart, a laugh on your lips and a party in your head!

Here in Seattle the last is especially easy, as closest pot store is five blocks away, next to big grocery store with huge booze & beer selection; both are "essential businesses" with good masking regimes compliant with public heath dictates.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499

Thanks. Rice clear 2nd fav

Biden has good chemistry with Rice:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/505683-susan-rice-sees-stock-rise-in-biden-vp-race
    It is clear that Susan Rice's name is in the frame but so are half a dozen others. I claim no special insight and cannot explain price movements, though I suspect they are one or two punters (the markets are quite thin) overreacting to press articles in America.

Since I started typing, Rice has moved out slightly, probably because she was bigger with bookmakers than on Betfair. I'd also note, though it has been true for some time, that there is not much to lay on Michelle Lujan Grisham; again, I'm not sure it means very much.

For the moment I'm green on all the likely contenders and while the smart thing is probably to cash out, it's more fun staying in. Maybe we shall wake up tomorrow to an announcement from the Biden camp and be left ruing not backing Rice, or Harris, or whoever. One day that will happen -- one day between now and the convention in August.
  • Options

Charles said:

He didn't know about it until it had happened. Problem was & is inbred racism of forces of order, esp. border guards. Which Trump has tried to exacerbate for political and personal reasons (God help him on both counts). NOT the case with his predecessor.
    Of course. With the democrats it’s the fault of the border guards. With the Republicans it’s the fault of the political leadership
  • Options
    Upcoming July 14 Alabama US Senate Republican runoff primary

Story in NYT re: Donald Trumps pick for nomination versus former US AG Jefferson Beauregard Sessions, namely former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville.

Tuberville was a BIG success as head coach in state where college football American style is unchallenged King of Sports. Where annual Iron Bowl in Birmingham between Auburn U and University of Alabama is a BIG deal.

However, as a hedge-fund owner, not so much. His business partner was sentenced to 10 years in prison, and unhappy investors accused Coach Tommy of fraud and sued him for violating his fiduciary duty.

Tuberville has Trump's blessing going for him, which is clearly helpful in Alabama but as Roy Moore showed NOT a sure thing.

Methinks that Coach's hedge-fund fumble is LESS helpful to Jeff that fact that there are somewhat more fans among likely voters for 'Bama Big Red Wave than for Auburn Tigers.

Sort of like Rangers v Celtic with Scots kick-ball devotees.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,759
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Of course. With the democrats it’s the fault of the border guards. With the Republicans it’s the fault of the political leadership
    How much do you think the current Republican President is doing to improve the situation?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Obama did NOT cover himself with glory dealing with immigration & border issues. As for Trump, his record also stands for itself.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

How much do you think the current Republican President is doing to improve the situation?
    I suspect very little.

But my point is I dislike double standards and hypocrisy by political activists like @SeaShantyIrish2
  • Options

Thanks. Rice clear 2nd fav

Biden has good chemistry with Rice:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/505683-susan-rice-sees-stock-rise-in-biden-vp-race
    It is clear that Susan Rice's name is in the frame but so are half a dozen others. I claim no special insight and cannot explain price movements, though I suspect they are one or two punters (the markets are quite thin) overreacting to press articles in America.

Since I started typing, Rice has moved out slightly, probably because she was bigger with bookmakers than on Betfair. I'd also note, though it has been true for some time, that there is not much to lay on Michelle Lujan Grisham; again, I'm not sure it means very much.

For the moment I'm green on all the likely contenders and while the smart thing is probably to cash out, it's more fun staying in. Maybe we shall wake up tomorrow to an announcement from the Biden camp and be left ruing not backing Rice, or Harris, or whoever. One day that will happen -- one day between now and the convention in August.
    Re: timing for announcing Biden's VP pick is most likely eve of Democratic National Convention. Is traditional for a reason - it gives presidential nominee something truly newsworthy guaranteed to grab headlines (hopefully in a good way) to kickoff a (again hopefully) a positive, persuasive convention.

Last time IIRC that candidate waited until AFTER the convention convened was Adlai Stevenson in 1956, when he threw the choice open to the delegates; Sen. Estes Kefauver of TN beat out JFK. Cannot recall last time a nominee was announced much earlier.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

It definitely raises questions over the quality of regulatory oversight in Germany, the EU has opened an investigation into the whole situation. Honestly, I can't see this happening here. The FCA has its own set of flaws and auditors I've come across always strike me as dull rather than criminally incompetent.
    Auditors are internationally incompetent.

How on earth can anyone do an audit, and miss €1.7bn of fake bank deposits? It absolutely beggars belief. I'm sure in the old days it was standard practice for auditors to write to banks, and to major creditors and debtors, to ask for confirmation of the account balances. What on earth do auditors do if they don't do that?
  • Options
    Heritage? Ooh, does that include preserved railways?

Maybe Rishi isn't so bad after all...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

But my point is I dislike double standards and hypocrisy by political activists like @SeaShantyIrish2
    That's harsh, dude - yours truly is a hack NOT an activist.
  • Options
    Fwiw I tend to think that in the end all my political judgments are aesthetic. Trump and all his supporters (actual and defacto) have never once surprised on the upside in that area.

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1279745359678488576?s=20
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

How on earth can anyone do an audit, and miss €1.7bn of fake bank deposits? It absolutely beggars belief. I'm sure in the old days it was standard practice for auditors to write to banks, and to major creditors and debtors, to ask for confirmation of the account balances. What on earth do auditors do if they don't do that?
    There have been suspensions at the banks in question, presumably of those who answered the auditors' letters.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

There have been suspensions at the banks in question, presumably of those who answered the auditors' letters.
    Ah, that would make more sense.
  • Options

Fwiw I tend to think that in the end all my political judgments are aesthetic. Trump and all his supporters (actual and defacto) have never once surprised on the upside in that area.

Teddy & Tom should exchange hats - TJ is considered Father of Democratic Party (sort of) while TR was a Republican (most of the time) and also a soldier (for short time in Spanish-American War).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited July 2020

On the contrary, I think that's a piece of Pop Art worthy of Warhol. It is so grotesquely kitsch it's extremely compelling.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Also on the FT front page:

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited July 2020
    Hopeless from trump Jr. This is how you do it

https://twitter.com/RevRichardColes/status/1059836625491058690
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Scott_xP said:

How many times is that they’ve been caught trying to falsely put Dominic Cummings into a story?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

It's at least got a painted on the side of a Lancaster vibe to it. Tessy even looks a bit hot.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

How many times is that they’ve been caught trying to falsely put Dominic Cummings into a story?

None so far
  • Options

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

GT used to do that when I was chairman of audit ctte at a plc
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,681

On the contrary, I think that's a piece of Pop Art worthy of Warhol. It is so grotesquely kitsch it's extremely compelling.
    Hmm. The Bilbo Baggins position.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I wonder how many resources will be wasted on unseating him?
    I wonder how many resources will be wasted on failing to unseat him?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Sorry - I’m sure I remember an article by you a few years ago that described you as a Democratic activist in Seattle
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312

It's not going on my wall. I'd definitely prefer the Elvis or the Marilyn.
  • Options
    American presidents are (in)famous for having embarrassing relatives, IIRC starting with Mary Todd Lincoln. Other examples: Grant's son, FDR's sons, Kennedy's father, Nixon's brother, Carter's brother, Clinton's brother.

In this as with other aspects of his presidency, Trump has achieved (if that's the word) a whole new level.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Why change the habits of the entire unlocking process? Every time there is a change Johnson has blustered on about it for days before hand, whilst the sector in questions has no details.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

The "faked bank accounts" issue is (sadly) a common one.

Parmalat did it in 2003, hiding something like EUR13bn of losses. Polly Peck, IIRC correctly, did the same. And I was involved in uncovering a similar scandal at Lernout & Hauspie about twenty years ago.

Most recently, in the UK, the management at Patisserie Valerie had faked letters from banks confirming there was no outstanding debt.

To my mind, the real offence that has been committed here is by BaFin, which took the word of the Wirecard CEO and went after short-sellers. Heads should roll at the German financial regulator, because it's one thing to miss an insolvent firm, it's another thing to be an effective accessory in a cover up.
  • Options

I see you have gone all Oswald Spengler!
  • Options
    Charles, want to thank you for pointing out (in previous posting) that former US DA involved with Epstein / Maxwell matter is NOT the really BIG fish investigators have the net out for. Though do think they regard a potentially corrupt prosecutor as a Class A Crumbum.

Where we seem to differ, is exactly who is Mr. Big.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1279882315158749184

ttps://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1279882316978978817

They need to be careful with the targeting, to avoid lnext years headlines of “millionaire actors and comedians troughing public money intended for the grass roots”?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Sorry - I’m sure I remember an article by you a few years ago that described you as a Democratic activist in Seattle
    Well, it's really matter of definition - no worries. As for double-standards & hypocrisy, am trying (continuously) to correct my sins & curb my enthusiasm.

However, got to cut me a bit of slack - it IS an election year. Of course, over here they ALL are - but 2020 is the Big Kahuna.
  • Options
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Parmalat did it in 2003, hiding something like EUR13bn of losses. Polly Peck, IIRC correctly, did the same. And I was involved in uncovering a similar scandal at Lernout & Hauspie about twenty years ago.

Most recently, in the UK, the management at Patisserie Valerie had faked letters from banks confirming there was no outstanding debt.

To my mind, the real offence that has been committed here is by BaFin, which took the word of the Wirecard CEO and went after short-sellers. Heads should roll at the German financial regulator, because it's one thing to miss an insolvent firm, it's another thing to be an effective accessory in a cover up.
    I wonder how wide-spread faked letters from banks are now days? So easy to play around on a computer and come up with something quite convincing. The Good Lady Wifi was provided with one purporting to be from Coutts. The person providing the letter was a genuine Coutts account holder; the letter was most definitley not genuine.

They are now an ex-Coutts account holder.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It's not going on my wall. I'd definitely prefer the Elvis or the Marilyn.
    As a young boy, one of the most starling things I ever beheld, was the Marilyn Monroe you reference hung up on the wall of my grandfather's den. Still haven't forgotten OR got over it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

None so far
    The Number 10 blog starts by talking of a whole series of errors but then refutes just two, and even then there is the suspicion that the military story might depend on a close reading of "last month" when we've just started a new one. Otoh, I've not read the ST.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

While clearly the product of a deranged mind, from the technical point of view it is well executed.

Don Trump jrs is a pile of cut and paste wank in comparison.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:
    Interesting

I have (virtually) attended two seminars on air travel and CVD and this might make a good case study.......

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Still a red link on Wiki I see...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

While clearly the product of a deranged mind, from the technical point of view it is well executed.

Don Trump jrs is a pile of cut and paste wank in comparison.
    It is well done, but wow, just wow.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:
    Interesting

I have (virtually) attended two seminars on air travel and CVD and this might make a good case study.......

"Coffee? Tea? Or Covid?"
  • Options
    One of my sons runs a bar - it opened up again yesterday.

He was not happy when a member of his team hugged a customer

He was pretty pissed off when a customer / friend jumped on him to hug him

Wonder how long bars will remain open
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1279882315158749184

ttps://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1279882316978978817

They need to be careful with the targeting, to avoid lnext years headlines of “millionaire actors and comedians troughing public money intended for the grass roots”?
    "We send £350 million each week to the EU.
    Let's give it to a bunch of luvvies instead."
  • Options

Charles, want to thank you for pointing out (in previous posting) that former US DA involved with Epstein / Maxwell matter is NOT the really BIG fish investigators have the net out for. Though do think they regard a potentially corrupt prosecutor as a Class A Crumbum.

Where we seem to differ, is exactly who is Mr. Big.

I’ve no idea who “mr big” is. There’s a certain senior individual Who is occasionally mentioned, but I’d be very surprised. He doesn’t seem to have much trouble getting that sort of thing through his own efforts, even if he is overly insistent at times.

(I was intrigued by Acosta’s comments to the Trump inauguration team which I saw today - that he was told in 2008 that Epstein was “above his pay grade” and that “he belong to intelligence”. I fear he’s being set up as a fall guy.)
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect very little.

Well, it's really matter of definition - no worries. As for double-standards & hypocrisy, am trying (continuously) to correct my sins & curb my enthusiasm.

However, got to cut me a bit of slack - it IS an election year. Of course, over here they ALL are - but 2020 is the Big Kahuna.
    I grew up around politicians. I have a healthy contempt for the whole damn lot.
This discussion has been closed.