Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest ads from a campaign to turn Republicans against Tru

124»

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,634
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:
    Getting Australia to make it significantly easier for UK citizens to move there would be one of the few tangible things that would genuinely create a feel-good factor.
    It's funny how the UK wants Australia to move away from the much lauded Australian style points system.
    For emigration we want a UK-style tickets system.

tickets (AUS): to have tickets on yourself

To have an exaggerated sense of one’s own importance or value; to be conceited.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    Is there not a "That is a fundamentally stupid question " option?
    Given what we now know was Aristotle an accomplished scientist?
    No. Because you can judge racism by the standards of the day. No one would deny that Hitler was a total racist. Science moves on. We can judge prejudice in its relationship to the past it was enacted in.

As for what that means for Churchill, as the polling seems to show, a lot of people seem to understand that it's complex and that he may well have been, but that we take people in the round and consider their achievements as well as their worst traits.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,406
    Cyclefree said:

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1273355285718016001/photo/1

Meanwhile in Germany...

App up and running. Apple/Google os based.

What a shower our lot are. Pathetically predictable.

IIRC the German app has been made open source - why don't we just change the user interface to English and use that?
    Because PHE, the minister, someone, who knows insists we have a home-made version that doesn't use Apple/Google decentralised privacy-based solution.

No doubt the public inquiry will enlighten us.

In about five years time.
    Because they wanted to collect our data is my guess and did not give a fig about privacy issues. Why they wanted to collect data and what they intended doing with it I will leave to others.

Possibly there was someone keen on data collection and its uses in government, who can say.
    The kind-to-them version is that they wanted to be able identify hotspots and movement patterns that led to meetings and infections, in order to work out places and methods of infection for public policy reasons.

The Apple/Google solution doesn't do that, it simply alerts people while keeping all the data on their own phones, designed explicitly to prevent governments getting tons of location data.

The technical issues with what they were trying to do were discussed extensively on here at the time, it was clear that what they were trying to do with the app simply wasn't technically possible and was never going to work. It's not exclusively a UK issue either, a lot of other countries went down the same road before abandoning when they realised they couldn't do what they wanted it to.
    Scott_xP said:
    Great to see that we are going to have to be negotiating trade deals while half of our own media relentlessly report the other side's comments as if they were gospel.

On positive trade news, UK statement released somewhat under the radar yesterday about going the CPTPP free trade area.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-approach-to-joining-the-cptpp-trade-agreement/an-update-on-the-uks-position-on-accession-to-the-comprehensive-and-progressive-agreement-for-trans-pacific-partnership-cptpp

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Slave traders are one thing. But look at their ever-extending list of targets

Captain Cook, Lord Nelson, Oliver Cromwell, King Charles, Robert Peel, James II...

Basically it is all of British history. They want to erase it.

https://www.toppletheracists.org/

No, far from erasing history the movement has made for more discussion of slavery than any time in my life.
    Yes and this movement has changed attitudes. It's amazing to see the change in US attitudes vs a year or two ago.

I haven't seen much comparable polling from UK, but it does feel now like things like taking down statues of racists now command public support, when it wouldn't have done before.
    I wouldn't put a bet either way on this. My gut feel is that it has hardened a number of attitudes in both directions. I think most people have other more pressing problems to worry about but my feeling is that, if you are culturally conservative, you will become more entrenched and vice versa
    Support for BLM has risen from 25% 3 years ago to 52% today.
    What on earth does "support for BLM" mean?

Does it mean support for the protests against the brutal killing of George Floyd?

Give ma a placard, I would support that. I don't know any sentient human being who wouldn't. It was cold blooded murder by cops. Hideous.

But Black Lives Matter as an official movement has such aims as "dismantling capitalism" and "defunding and disbanding the police".

I doubt 5% of the UK supports anything like that. Probably fewer.
    I guess most people are just taking the words literally and connecting to the police murder. Not thinking about the details.
    Yes, I think so too. While there is a formal BLM organisation, the informal supporters willing to turn out are 100 times the numbers. XR is the same, and why opponents struggle to contain it too. Both organisations are organic and decentralised networks rather than formal.
    The problem is that the formal BLM movement appears ambivalent (to be polite) to the various hard-left and anarchist hangers-on - something that discredits their movement in the eyes of the wider population, even if their motive of racial equality is much more widely shared.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,634
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    Great to see that we are going to have to be negotiating trade deals while half of our own media relentlessly report the other side's comments as if they were gospel.
    You think Faisal Islam is endorsing the view that UK agriculture standards are thinly veiled protectionism?
    edited June 2020

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    You think Faisal Islam is endorsing the view that UK agriculture standards are thinly veiled protectionism?
    No, he's endorsing the view that trade deals with anyone (except the beloved EU, entirely on their own terms) are inherently a bad thing for the UK - and that we should rejoin the EU because all their trade deals with others are inherently good.

He has little to no interest in the actual details, only in opposing the government and favouring the EU.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,612
    DEAD THREAD
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    @kle4

I agree ‘genocide’ is not a word to be used lightly.

I considered it carefully before using it and am happy that it describes the actions of Simon de Montfort (and Edward I, for that matter) against the Jews, and Cromwell against the Irish.

Feel free to disagree.
This discussion has been closed.