Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest ads from a campaign to turn Republicans against Tru

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,523
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

@Cyclefree has some heavyweight support:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/17/lockdown-beer-firms-warn-boris-johnson-sales-confusion-reopening-uk-jobs
    ... Hundreds of pubs could shut for ever unless Boris Johnson decides in the next 48 hours when they can reopen, the UK’s largest beer companies have warned.

In an open letter to the prime minister, more than 50 companies said plummeting beer sales and prolonged uncertainty had brought the pub and brewing industry to “a moment of maximum jeopardy” that could cost hundreds of thousands of jobs.

The signatories – from global giants such as the Guinness owner Diageo to family brewers such as Adnam’s – urged Johnson to say by Friday whether the government would allow pubs to reopen from 4 July....

Yup. Tomorrow night would be good.

Someone told me that the hospitality sector is expecting an announcement tomorrow; let’s hope this letter is timed to align with that.
    Far more than 100s closing I would say unless they sort this out. There are roughly 50K pubs. More than 1% are going to close. Way more I would guess.
    A lot of pubs have been getting quiet for years. It wouldn't surprise me if half never reopen. Apart from a few city centre places, we just don't have much of a pub culture anymore.

Chillaxing with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and Netflix is the modern way.
    I would say most of those within walking distance of my house were already in a pretty bad way, on the edge, before this struck. There are a couple that will make it I reckon, maybe one or two others. The rest gone, sadly.

I have done my best over the years :smiley:
    It is tragic. Pubs ARE England.
    I agree, but as Foxy says not everyone agrees anymore. The pubs near me are often near empty except on a Friday night. The clientele is decidedly middle to late aged.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,634
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

Shall we cheer ourselves up with a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) sweepstake on Which Statue Will Be Next

I'm going for Kitchener. Or maybe Cromwell

I will defend Cromwell's statues.

He put those arrogant monarchs in their place and gave us parliamentary supremacy.

All democrats should be positively tumescent about Cromwell.
    I suspect we are more or less done with the statues. I'd be surprised if we ever get to double figures. The point has been made (and the statues were never the point anyway).
    I hope you're right but I think you are wrong. When you feed a mob it is like feeding a fire, the mob just grows and gets hungrier.

The mad iconoclastic Left is on a roll. Why should they stop now?
    The right may have won the election but the left have long since won the culture war. The floodgates are now open and there is no stopping this.

The starters have only just been consumed, it’s main course next.
    Have they? They may have done on gay rights, divorce and abortion, they certainly have not on uncontrolled immigration, or erasing patriotism and national sovereignty etc.
    Figures show an estimated 282,000 more non-EU citizens came to the UK than left in 2019, the highest since the information was first gathered in 1975.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52752656
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I never thought I’d say this but that ad makes me feel sorry for the odious Trumpton.

There are an almost infinite amount of attack lines. Attacking someone on health grounds sets a very dangerous, unethical precedent I think

Especially when it's Biden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1b8Hpgkw4A
    I asked you earlier who you wanted to win the US election.

I don’t think I received an answer.
    Sorry Anabobazina, I was away from the computer for hours. It wasn't deliberate.

Trump over Biden. I think Biden is very weak and not suited to dealing with the challenges the US faces. If it was Warren vs Trump, that would be a closer call.

Do I get mobs round my house and calls for my employer to sack me because of that?

Trump would have trounced Warren in my view and comfortably beaten Sanders, it is Biden giving the Democrats a chance
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/17/lockdown-beer-firms-warn-boris-johnson-sales-confusion-reopening-uk-jobs
    ... Hundreds of pubs could shut for ever unless Boris Johnson decides in the next 48 hours when they can reopen, the UK’s largest beer companies have warned.

In an open letter to the prime minister, more than 50 companies said plummeting beer sales and prolonged uncertainty had brought the pub and brewing industry to “a moment of maximum jeopardy” that could cost hundreds of thousands of jobs.

The signatories – from global giants such as the Guinness owner Diageo to family brewers such as Adnam’s – urged Johnson to say by Friday whether the government would allow pubs to reopen from 4 July....

Someone told me that the hospitality sector is expecting an announcement tomorrow; let’s hope this letter is timed to align with that.
    Far more than 100s closing I would say unless they sort this out. There are roughly 50K pubs. More than 1% are going to close. Way more I would guess.
    A lot of pubs have been getting quiet for years. It wouldn't surprise me if half never reopen. Apart from a few city centre places, we just don't have much of a pub culture anymore.

I disagree. I had a run this evening with a pal and then we bought a pint in a plastic cup and sat in the square chatting. It was such a nice way to spend an hour or so.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,254
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I never thought I’d say this but that ad makes me feel sorry for the odious Trumpton.

There are an almost infinite amount of attack lines. Attacking someone on health grounds sets a very dangerous, unethical precedent I think

Sorry Anabobazina, I was away from the computer for hours. It wasn't deliberate.

Trump over Biden. I think Biden is very weak and not suited to dealing with the challenges the US faces. If it was Warren vs Trump, that would be a closer call.

Do I get mobs round my house and calls for my employer to sack me because of that?

No, but you may get trampled by the mob stampeding towards you in the hope that you will bet with them.
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Slave traders are one thing. But look at their ever-extending list of targets

Captain Cook, Lord Nelson, Oliver Cromwell, King Charles, Robert Peel, James II...

Basically it is all of British history. They want to erase it.

https://www.toppletheracists.org/

No, far from erasing history the movement has made for more discussion of slavery than any time in my life.
    Yes and this movement has changed attitudes. It's amazing to see the change in US attitudes vs a year or two ago.

I haven't seen much comparable polling from UK, but it does feel now like things like taking down statues of racists now command public support, when it wouldn't have done before.
    There is certainly no support for removing the Churchull statue, confederate leaders and slave traders being moved to a museum maybe
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Trump would have trounced Warren in my view and comfortably beaten Sanders, it is Biden giving the Democrats a chance
    I agree on that, the question was who I would prefer. The US faces major structural issues around income inequality and, if you listen what companies are saying about the automation of jobs, it will be truly frightening in the next few years. Biden is too traditional a politician to deal with this. Trump, Warren and Sanders, though different, are more prepared to think out of the box.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,762
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Captain Cook, Lord Nelson, Oliver Cromwell, King Charles, Robert Peel, James II...

No, far from erasing history the movement has made for more discussion of slavery than any time in my life.
    Yes and this movement has changed attitudes. It's amazing to see the change in US attitudes vs a year or two ago.

I haven't seen much comparable polling from UK, but it does feel now like things like taking down statues of racists now command public support, when it wouldn't have done before.
    There is certainly no support for removing the Churchull statue, confederate leaders and slave traders being moved to a museum maybe
    Public opinion is not on the side of the protesters.

https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Opinium-Political-Report-11th-June-2020.pdf
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,487

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

No, but you may get trampled by the mob stampeding towards you in the hope that you will bet with them.
    :) I know I am in a minority here but I continue to think Trump will win. I think there are a lot of people who want Trump to lose and look for every bit of information to back that view (and, yes, I am sure others would say the same about me). I just don't see it happening given what is happening on the ground.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1273355285718016001/photo/1

Meanwhile in Germany...

App up and running. Apple/Google os based.

What a shower our lot are. Pathetically predictable.

IIRC the German app has been made open source - why don't we just change the user interface to English and use that?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,406
    "The woke have no vision of the future

Like medieval millenarians, today's SJWs believe all that needs to be done to bring about a new world is to destroy the old one

BY JOHN GRAY"

https://unherd.com/2020/06/the-woke-have-no-vision-of-the-future/
    "The woke have no vision of the future

Like medieval millenarians, today's SJWs believe all that needs to be done to bring about a new world is to destroy the old one

BY JOHN GRAY"

https://unherd.com/2020/06/the-woke-have-no-vision-of-the-future/
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

I wouldn't put a bet either way on this. My gut feel is that it has hardened a number of attitudes in both directions. I think most people have other more pressing problems to worry about but my feeling is that, if you are culturally conservative, you will become more entrenched and vice versa
    Support for BLM has risen from 25% 3 years ago to 52% today.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Yeah but statues are part of the street furniture in any city I've ever been to, irrespective of who they represent. Will we not have statues at all, or will they all be of the irrelevant in this country Mandela?
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

Shall we cheer ourselves up with a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) sweepstake on Which Statue Will Be Next

He put those arrogant monarchs in their place and gave us parliamentary supremacy.

I suspect we are more or less done with the statues. I'd be surprised if we ever get to double figures. The point has been made (and the statues were never the point anyway).
    I hope you're right but I think you are wrong. When you feed a mob it is like feeding a fire, the mob just grows and gets hungrier.

The right may have won the election but the left have long since won the culture war. The floodgates are now open and there is no stopping this.

Have they? They may have done on gay rights, divorce and abortion, they certainly have not on uncontrolled immigration, or erasing patriotism and national sovereignty etc.
    Figures show an estimated 282,000 more non-EU citizens came to the UK than left in 2019, the highest since the information was first gathered in 1975.

That figure is hugely pumped up by foreign students, mainly from China and India

It is going to absolutely CRASH in the next few years. The Tories will appear to have solved the immigration problem, whereas they will have done no such thing. It will just be a lot of universities going bust, and good: they are hotbeds of this Wokegasmic madness.

Let the universities die, let the lefty professors eat pebbles
    That was my view but here is the thing that a university chancellor pointed out to me. Look at towns like Stoke, Wolverhampton etc that have seen a big increase in student numbers and where students are now important to the economy. If students are so uniformally woke, how have these towns trended more Conservative?
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

And so, as was so wearily predictable, and as was predicted by some - inc me - on here, the mob has moved on from statues to people

The problem for you may be that most people think this is unreasonable, but don't automatically transpose that thought onto the statues stuff, which has yet to find a socially normal champion.
    This statues stuff is brilliant for the Conservatives. It fires up the base who thinks the left are about to seize control, reaffirms in the Red Wall voters what they hate about woke-ist middle class right on students and puts Starmer in a skewer because he can't condemn without p1ssing off his base [but also knows every day this goes on, the lower the chances he wins back these seats in 2024
    That would be true if the Tories had a backbone, but they do not. They are terrified of the Woke Gestapo.

Nigel Farage is probably grinning with delight right now, somewhere in darkest Surrey, as he dreams up a name for his new party

Johnson is gone next year would be my bet. The MPs - where the base has shifted radically from traditional Tory types to favouring Red Wall interests - will want someone to stand up to the mob. That's why I think Priti Patel is the better bet for next Cons leader / PM ahead of Rishi Sunak.
    I agree Johnson goes next year. Not sure about Patel. Sunak seems likelier.
    I think you're right about Boris; if anything, the risk is on him going earlier. He's not well, he's not doing well and he has always enjoyed the pursuit more than the possession. He's found a way of surviving PMQs; if it hadn't been for that, I could imagine him stomping off in a sulk because everyone is being so mean to him.

As for his successor; the next few years are likely to be a bit of a mess. Government is going to be difficult and Boris and Brexit-in-the-abstract are the only things holding the Conservative party and vote together right now. On top of that, there's the Covid fallout.

So if I were young, smart and ambitious, I might look to hold back for now. Take over after the defeat in 2024, be PM in 2029. It might be a nice job by then. So not Sunak as king, though maybe as kingmaker.

But someone has to take over. They need to be competent enough, ambitious enough and realising that it's now or never. Why doesn't that point to M. Gove?
    If the Tories replace Boris, their most successful election winner since Thatcher and who still leads the polls with Gove, who makes cockroaches look popular, they would be insane
    I don't think the Tories will force him out, I think he will step down of his own accord. I don't think a culture war suits him in the same way as flying the flag on Brexit. Plus there is the question of his health.
    His health is fine and he sounds the right note on culture.

However if we do go into out and out cultural war then yes Priti Patel as a latter day British Asian Boudicca leading the chariots of the cultural conservative right against the woke left would be ideal

Meanwhile in Germany...

IIRC the German app has been made open source - why don't we just change the user interface to English and use that?
    Because PHE, the minister, someone, who knows insists we have a home-made version that doesn't use Apple/Google decentralised privacy-based solution.

No doubt the public inquiry will enlighten us.

In about five years time.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

"Two of the UK's biggest companies have pledged to pay large sums to black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) communities after their roles in the slave trade were highlighted in a major academic database.

Greene King, one of the UK's largest pub chains, and Lloyd's of London, one of the world's biggest insurance firms, both said they would make payments.

The payments mark the first time the controversy over the UK's past involvement with slavery, which has led to statues being torn down, has impacted the corporate sector."
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/17/companies-britain-linked-slave-trade-say-today/

The Telegraph thinks Lloyd's is an "insurance firm?" Dear me.

I wonder whether any of the London banking houses with old enough roots are considering their position.
    You could try checking Wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Hoare_Jr
    Finding this claim about him elsewhere

"My great-great-great-great grand-father was a Quaker banker named Samuel Hoare (1751-1825). As a footnote, he was nothing to do with the well-known 18th and 19th century Hoare’s Bank – that was another family entirely. No, Sam Hoare was a banker, but he was also a Quaker and in those days people were less inclined to trust their money to any old bank, as they do today."

https://pryorfrancis.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/the-slave-trade-beginning-the-end/
    Pryor Francis (whoever that is) is wrong.

Sam Hoare was part of the Templewood branch of the family - cousins dating back to the mid 1500s.

He wasn’t involved with the C.Hoare & Co business (he was part of Barnett Hoare that merged with, Lloyds, another of the family ventures) but Heath House was very much a family asset.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,592
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

And so, as was so wearily predictable, and as was predicted by some - inc me - on here, the mob has moved on from statues to people

The problem for you may be that most people think this is unreasonable, but don't automatically transpose that thought onto the statues stuff, which has yet to find a socially normal champion.
    This statues stuff is brilliant for the Conservatives. It fires up the base who thinks the left are about to seize control, reaffirms in the Red Wall voters what they hate about woke-ist middle class right on students and puts Starmer in a skewer because he can't condemn without p1ssing off his base [but also knows every day this goes on, the lower the chances he wins back these seats in 2024
    It's only a couple of weeks ago we were being told how the BLM protests in the US were going to carry Trump back into the White House.
    Young Conservative voters are few, but in terms of PC values, closer to young Lab voters. It is an age interest more than a right/left one.

https://twitter.com/sophgaston/status/1272525523583934466?s=09
    People change their minds when they turn 40.
    They do on economic issues- though that's getting later with the growth of Generation Rent.

If the divide is moving from an economic to social (open/closed society) one, the Conservatives may have hitched their wagon to the wrong train.

We all know about the expansion of Higher Education since the 1990's, but I was recently reminded of another point.

Until 1998, you could leave school without taking GCSE exams. I was surprised it was that recent, but there you go.

The rules used to be that, if your birthday was early enough, you could leave school completely at Easter of 5th Year/ Year 11. And thinking back to my school days, there were people who did that. Left school, no exams, straight into a no-qualifications job.

Now that might have been the right thing for the people involved, but it's pretty unthinkable now. And without casting any aspersions, there's a definite correlation between education level and openness to an open society. Call it indoctrination if you want.

And the last generation who were allowed to leave without any qualifications at all? 16 in 1998, about 38 now...
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

I wouldn't put a bet either way on this. My gut feel is that it has hardened a number of attitudes in both directions. I think most people have other more pressing problems to worry about but my feeling is that, if you are culturally conservative, you will become more entrenched and vice versa
    I think the better way to phrase this is "those who say they support BLM has risen from 25% 3 years ago to 52%"

That doesn't necessarily mean 52% now do.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

FPT

eadric said:

He was as bad as Rhodes. Slaughtered the natives and dispossessed them of their land. A lot of the aristocracy’s wealth and others was based on this theft. The natives were deprived of any say in their government and of civil rights. Religious discrimination was rife.

By “natives” of course I mean the Irish.

Why would you want to celebrate such an individual? 😉

Nigelb said:

More like 30-40% is the estimate in some of the trade journals.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

:) I know I am in a minority here but I continue to think Trump will win. I think there are a lot of people who want Trump to lose and look for every bit of information to back that view (and, yes, I am sure others would say the same about me). I just don't see it happening given what is happening on the ground.
    All shades of opinion welcome here,Ed....at least as far as betting goes.

To be honest I was with you until recently but I detect a mood change now and I don't see things getting any better for him before November. They may well get very much worse.

I have bet accordingly.

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

'In the year ending March 2019, the number of EU citizens arriving for work fell to 92,000, which is less than half the level it was at its peak (190,000) in the year ending June 2016.'
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/august2019#:~:text=This fall in work-related,the year ending June 2016.
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

That would be true if the Tories had a backbone, but they do not. They are terrified of the Woke Gestapo.

Nigel Farage is probably grinning with delight right now, somewhere in darkest Surrey, as he dreams up a name for his new party

Johnson is gone next year would be my bet. The MPs - where the base has shifted radically from traditional Tory types to favouring Red Wall interests - will want someone to stand up to the mob. That's why I think Priti Patel is the better bet for next Cons leader / PM ahead of Rishi Sunak.
    I think you're right about Boris; if anything, the risk is on him going earlier. He's not well, he's not doing well and he has always enjoyed the pursuit more than the possession. He's found a way of surviving PMQs; if it hadn't been for that, I could imagine him stomping off in a sulk because everyone is being so mean to him.

As for his successor; the next few years are likely to be a bit of a mess. Government is going to be difficult and Boris and Brexit-in-the-abstract are the only things holding the Conservative party and vote together right now. On top of that, there's the Covid fallout.

So if I were young, smart and ambitious, I might look to hold back for now. Take over after the defeat in 2024, be PM in 2029. It might be a nice job by then. So not Sunak as king, though maybe as kingmaker.

But someone has to take over. They need to be competent enough, ambitious enough and realising that it's now or never. Why doesn't that point to M. Gove?
    If the Tories replace Boris, their most successful election winner since Thatcher and who still leads the polls with Gove, who makes cockroaches look popular, they would be insane
    I don't think the Tories will force him out, I think he will step down of his own accord. I don't think a culture war suits him in the same way as flying the flag on Brexit. Plus there is the question of his health.
    His health is fine and he sounds the right note on culture.

However if we do go into out and out cultural war then yes Priti Patel as a latter day British Asian Boudicca leading the chariots of the cultural conservative right against the woke left would be ideal
    As you can tell, that's my view on Patel on well which is why I backed her at 35/1....
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Penny
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

We rarely agree on anything but certainly on Biden we’re on the same page . I like Warren and Sanders but they couldn’t win the key states needed . It’s not about piling up huge vote totals in states which the Dems would win anyway but getting over the line in places like Michigan. I think the Dems could have found a stronger candidate but against Trump he has a good chance but there’s a long way to go and the polls now should be treated with a lot of caution.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Can't harm the Starmer!

Well, quite. Androids don't feel much at all:

https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1272984874195050498
    Why do you post such predictable, dreary material? And you accuse Starmer of being dull.

What has Starmer got to do with Biden's campaign to turn Republicans away from Trump?

Meanwhile in Germany...

Because PHE, the minister, someone, who knows insists we have a home-made version that doesn't use Apple/Google decentralised privacy-based solution.

Because they wanted to collect our data is my guess and did not give a fig about privacy issues. Why they wanted to collect data and what they intended doing with it I will leave to others.

Possibly there was someone keen on data collection and its uses in government, who can say.

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

It's only a couple of weeks ago we were being told how the BLM protests in the US were going to carry Trump back into the White House.
    Young Conservative voters are few, but in terms of PC values, closer to young Lab voters. It is an age interest more than a right/left one.

They do on economic issues- though that's getting later with the growth of Generation Rent.

If the divide is moving from an economic to social (open/closed society) one, the Conservatives may have hitched their wagon to the wrong train.

We all know about the expansion of Higher Education since the 1990's, but I was recently reminded of another point.

Until 1998, you could leave school without taking GCSE exams. I was surprised it was that recent, but there you go.

The rules used to be that, if your birthday was early enough, you could leave school completely at Easter of 5th Year/ Year 11. And thinking back to my school days, there were people who did that. Left school, no exams, straight into a no-qualifications job.

Now that might have been the right thing for the people involved, but it's pretty unthinkable now. And without casting any aspersions, there's a definite correlation between education level and openness to an open society. Call it indoctrination if you want.

And the last generation who were allowed to leave without any qualifications at all? 16 in 1998, about 38 now...
    Even most under 30s do not graduate from university, they are patriotic and do not think Churchill's statue should be ripped down and even on campuses there are plenty of silent patriots too

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

To be honest I was with you until recently but I detect a mood change now and I don't see things getting any better for him before November. They may well get very much worse.

I have bet accordingly.
    Thank you Peter. Maybe I am being influenced too much by Mrs Ed - she is a Republican who has never voted for a Republican since George Bush in 2004. Up to a month ago, she said she wouldn't vote for Trump. She is now 100% behind him because of what has happened in the States.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,773
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

They used to, on economic matters, but will that continue? On social and cultural issues they probably never have.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    What a bizarre mix of nations.

India should have a permament seat, it is a nation of 1.4bn people.

Tiny France should have theirs taken away and their seat should either be given to the EU as a whole, or simply handed to Germany

The UK should of course be allowed to remain, forever, as we had the biggest empire in history.

Agreed and India would provide a counterweight to China, it would be interesting to see the reaction in France if their UN seat went to the EU certainly
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,276

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I would say most of those within walking distance of my house were already in a pretty bad way, on the edge, before this struck. There are a couple that will make it I reckon, maybe one or two others. The rest gone, sadly.

I agree, but as Foxy says not everyone agrees anymore. The pubs near me are often near empty except on a Friday night. The clientele is decidedly middle to late aged.
    My 2 kids, 20 and 16, would never dream of visiting a Pub. Neither do their friends.
    When I was 16 I couldn't seem to stay out. I looked much older than my age then.
    Pubs are in long term decline and have been for years.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Yeah but statues are part of the street furniture in any city I've ever been to, irrespective of who they represent. Will we not have statues at all, or will they all be of the irrelevant in this country Mandela?
    My favourite statute is that of George Peabody slumped in a chair behind the royal exchange. Titan of a man, founder of the House of Morgan, and ultimately gave all his wealth to create the Peabody Estates.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.
    Thank you Peter. Maybe I am being influenced too much by Mrs Ed - she is a Republican who has never voted for a Republican since George Bush in 2004. Up to a month ago, she said she wouldn't vote for Trump. She is now 100% behind him because of what has happened in the States.
    Noted with thanks, but I won't ask for an explanation of the logic!
    eadric said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

What on earth does "support for BLM" mean?

Does it mean support for the protests against the brutal killing of George Floyd?

Give ma a placard, I would support that. I don't know any sentient human being who wouldn't. It was cold blooded murder by cops. Hideous.

But Black Lives Matter as an official movement has such aims as "dismantling capitalism" and "defunding and disbanding the police".

I doubt 5% of the UK supports anything like that. Probably fewer.
    I guess most people are just taking the words literally and connecting to the police murder. Not thinking about the details.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Anabobazina, you asked me a question, said I didn't reply and have now answered it.

Will you now answer my question - do I get mobs round my house and calls for my employer to sack me because I said I support Trump over Biden?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MrEd said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

That figure is hugely pumped up by foreign students, mainly from China and India

It is going to absolutely CRASH in the next few years. The Tories will appear to have solved the immigration problem, whereas they will have done no such thing. It will just be a lot of universities going bust, and good: they are hotbeds of this Wokegasmic madness.

That was my view but here is the thing that a university chancellor pointed out to me. Look at towns like Stoke, Wolverhampton etc that have seen a big increase in student numbers and where students are now important to the economy. If students are so uniformally woke, how have these towns trended more Conservative?
    Wolverhampton SW is far less Tory than when represented by Enoch Powell and Nicholas Budgen.

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

At the last election, the tipping point for people voting Conservative rather than Labour fell from 47 to 37.

All of my life, people have been arguing that the Conservatives are doomed because young people are left wing, and will remain left wing as they age.
    Chile looks like the latest Latin American country to be badly hit by coronavirus with the daily death toll into the hundreds.
    justin124 said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

Wolverhampton SW is far less Tory than when represented by Enoch Powell and Nicholas Budgen.
    True but it has moved back to the Tories when Wolverhampton has seen more students.

I thought he had an interesting observation.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Utter rubbish.

Perhaps in your local area / lifestyle that’s the case.

Yet the pubs are booming here (or were) - many are food havens, and out in the southern countryside they provide a network of boltholes for cyclists, walkers, travellers and tourists.

Sitting in front of the telly isn’t a comparable activity.

You are simply wrong.
    edited June 2020

Meanwhile in Germany...

Maybe we could persuade a Premiership footballer to start a campaign to roll-out the German tracing app here?

It would be government policy by the end of next week.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,130
    HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

And if I'd asked you in 2016? Back then Rhodes must fall did not seem very mainstream.

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.
    Please don't get Mrs Ed started on this!

In summary though, she is Black and hates the way the BLM movement claims to speak for Black people. She made the (fair) point the Democrats have done little for Black people in a long time (and, yes, I think 1965 was a long time ago)
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.
    No doubt about it - Trump has had a rough few weeks. For all the discussions about who Biden will pick for veep, how real is his lead over Trump, and so on - one thing stands out. If Trump can bring the economy back he will win. Otherwise his chances are shrinking.
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I was asking him who he favoured, not who would win
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,545
    eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

Sometimes you need to let the fire burn strongly so it can burn itself out.
    The fear of the mob is strong with you. Is it a public school thing? Feels quite nineteenth century.

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Answered that one thanks.

I asked you a question, now do the courtesy of answering that.

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Utter rubbish.

Yet the pubs are booming here (or were) - many are food havens, and out in the southern countryside they provide a network of boltholes for cyclists, walkers, travellers and tourists.

You are simply wrong.
    Same here.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,592
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

Even most under 30s do not graduate from university, they are patriotic and do not think Churchill's statue should be ripped down and even on campuses there are plenty of silent patriots too
    There's a massive space between "not thinking Churchill's statue should be ripped down" and "There are plenty of statues of scoundrels that should never have been put up in the first place". I know Centrist Dad is a boring position to hold, but whoever successfully occupies it, wins.

And a party that doesn't pay attention to all the generational shifts that happen (and my point is that there's more going on than Trendy University Campuses; the change from no CSEs to some GCSEs is just as important but neglected) deserves oblivion if it comes.
    justin124 said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

Wolverhampton SW is a middle class seat and the wealthiest in the city
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

FPT

eadric said:

It’s ironic that the two presumed great champions of Parliamentary democracy in England - Simon de Montfort and Cromwell - were also both genocidal nutters.

There’s also something of an irony in that having fought a vicious war to impose Parliament on the king, once getting to power they both sidelined it to arrogate power to themselves.

Who could we have as a Parliamentary champion untainted by slaving? Disraeli perhaps, as the author of the Second Reform Act? But even he made some pretty unpleasant remarks about the Irish.
    I think genocidal is not a word to be thrown out so lightly, particularly considering both standards of warfare (which is not to say it cannot be condemned) and non-battlefield/atrocity deaths arising from warfare counted as deliberate.

As to the wider point, it would be absurd to consider such figures as uncomplicated figures of parliamentary liberty. But you will know a lot better than me that people and events can have much wider and different impacts than they will have intended and even unintentional effects can be celebrated. We can celebrate Charles I for being inadequate to his times and contributing to how things developed more positively in the long run.
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

They used to, on economic matters, but will that continue? On social and cultural issues they probably never have.
    Yes. The 18-29 year olds who voted to Remain in 1975, were the 59 - 70 year olds who voted to Leave in 2016. It's well-established that peoples' views on immigration shift right as they age.
    eadric said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

"Two of the UK's biggest companies have pledged to pay large sums to black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) communities after their roles in the slave trade were highlighted in a major academic database.

Greene King, one of the UK's largest pub chains, and Lloyd's of London, one of the world's biggest insurance firms, both said they would make payments.

The payments mark the first time the controversy over the UK's past involvement with slavery, which has led to statues being torn down, has impacted the corporate sector."
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/17/companies-britain-linked-slave-trade-say-today/

I wonder whether any of the London banking houses with old enough roots are considering their position.

"My great-great-great-great grand-father was a Quaker banker named Samuel Hoare (1751-1825). As a footnote, he was nothing to do with the well-known 18th and 19th century Hoare’s Bank – that was another family entirely. No, Sam Hoare was a banker, but he was also a Quaker and in those days people were less inclined to trust their money to any old bank, as they do today."

https://pryorfrancis.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/the-slave-trade-beginning-the-end/

Sam Hoare was part of the Templewood branch of the family - cousins dating back to the mid 1500s.

He wasn’t involved with the C.Hoare & Co business (he was part of Barnett Hoare that merged with, Lloyds, another of the family ventures) but Heath House was very much a family asset.
    I am descended, very probably, from Rollo of Normandy, who ordered that 100 slaves be ritually executed at his own funeral.

I may have to cancel myself and return to PB as someone else

*shudders*
    We* are all, very probably, descended from Rollo of Normandy if he has any any living descendants at all. It's just a factor of the maths.

(*At least those of us of mainly European descent.)
    Tim_B said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.
    No doubt about it - Trump has had a rough few weeks. For all the discussions about who Biden will pick for veep, how real is his lead over Trump, and so on - one thing stands out. If Trump can bring the economy back he will win. Otherwise his chances are shrinking.
    That's going to be difficult whilst the pandemic continues to rage, isn't it, Tim?
    rkrkrk said:

HYUFD said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

And if I'd asked you in 2016? Back then Rhodes must fall did not seem very mainstream.
    Even 33% do not think Colston should fall and a majority think only legally.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1270011494080659456?s=20

There is no polling yet on Rhodes
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

eadric said:

FPT

eadric said:

Sometimes you need to let the fire burn strongly so it can burn itself out.
    The fear of the mob is strong with you. Is it a public school thing? Feels quite nineteenth century.
    You didn't think the high walls surrounding Oxbridge colleges were purely ornamental, did you?

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

There's a massive space between "not thinking Churchill's statue should be ripped down" and "There are plenty of statues of scoundrels that should never have been put up in the first place". I know Centrist Dad is a boring position to hold, but whoever successfully occupies it, wins.

And a party that doesn't pay attention to all the generational shifts that happen (and my point is that there's more going on than Trendy University Campuses; the change from no CSEs to some GCSEs is just as important but neglected) deserves oblivion if it comes.
    I think the Conservatives should start to behave as if they trounced Labour.
    What a shambles. Government now saying app will be ready for winter says Newsnight.

Winter?

Insane. Germany will have had an app for six months by then.

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,234
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

But not the slavery which still exists around the world or the modern slavery which benefits middle class lifestyles in this country.

Funny how people don't want to talk about those.

Tim_B said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.
    That's going to be difficult whilst the pandemic continues to rage, isn't it, Tim?
    There was a very good article (and I can't find the link annoyingly) that said Trump would be able to claim a rapid rebound in Q3 because, on a Q on Q basis, the numbers will look strong. Look at what he did with the May retail sales. That will be his tactic - absolute numbers won't look great but the comps will look good (QoQ/MoM, not YoY)
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Used to be. Most people do not think the end of pubs would be a tragedy, even if they say it would be a tragedy, when judged by actions.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited June 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Because they wanted to collect our data is my guess and did not give a fig about privacy issues. Why they wanted to collect data and what they intended doing with it I will leave to others.

Possibly there was someone keen on data collection and its uses in government, who can say.

Ms Cyclefree, you are far too prone to accuse politicians of bad motives. The government is largely incompetent, it is true, but on this issue they were quite reasonably following the expert medical advice. What the epidemiologists wanted the data for was specified early on: they wanted to be able to discover, early, that there is (for example) a cluster of cases in a particular town or area, and they were also very keen to discover exactly how the probability of infection depended on the duration of contact. That type of statistical analysis cannot be done with the Google/Apple approach. Those are undeniably sensible objectives, even if there is room for disagreement on whether they outweigh other considerations.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,272

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

LAW AND ORDER !!
    Scott_xP said:
    Is there some other horrid consequence we can use besides the chicken thing? I feel like I've heard about it so often I now get the impression it is the only bad thing that will happen.

Cyclefree said:

Ms Cyclefree, you are far too prone to accuse politicians of bad motives. The government is largely incompetent, it is true, but on this issue they were quite reasonably following the expert medical advice. What the epidemiologists wanted the data for was specified early on: they wanted to be able to discover, early, that there is (for example) a cluster of cases in a particular town or area, and they were also very keen to discover exactly how the probability of infection depended on the duration of contact. That type of statistical analysis cannot be done with the Google/Apple approach. Those are undeniably sensible objectives, even if there is room for disagreement on whether they outweigh other considerations.
    The best is the enemy of the good.

What a classic case this is.

eadric said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Does it mean support for the protests against the brutal killing of George Floyd?

Give ma a placard, I would support that. I don't know any sentient human being who wouldn't. It was cold blooded murder by cops. Hideous.

But Black Lives Matter as an official movement has such aims as "dismantling capitalism" and "defunding and disbanding the police".

I guess most people are just taking the words literally and connecting to the police murder. Not thinking about the details.
    Yes, I think so too. While there is a formal BLM organisation, the informal supporters willing to turn out are 100 times the numbers. XR is the same, and why opponents struggle to contain it too. Both organisations are organic and decentralised networks rather than formal.
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

I think the better way to phrase this is "those who say they support BLM has risen from 25% 3 years ago to 52%"

That doesn't necessarily mean 52% now do.
    Cool, if you want to pretend that polling doesn't exist that is fine but if you want me to believe that if the polling said that 95% of Americans deeply opposed BLMthat you wouldn't be talking about it then you can pull the other one that hath bells upon it.

What a shambles. Government now saying app will be ready for winter says Newsnight.

Winter?

Insane. Germany will have had an app for six months by then.

If Boris Johnson really is the new Henry VIII, he'll copy the German version and rebrand it.
    dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

My 2 kids, 20 and 16, would never dream of visiting a Pub. Neither do their friends.
    When I was 16 I couldn't seem to stay out. I looked much older than my age then.
    I don’t say this to be rude, but there are a lot of crap pubs up north. That’s one reason why I preferring walking and cycling down south - the pubs are simply far superior. They more than make up for the less dramatic landscapes.
    kle4 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Used to be. Most people do not think the end of pubs would be a tragedy, even if they say it would be a tragedy, when judged by actions.
    Yep. Use it or lose it, as my mate says as we head into another boozer.

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Utter rubbish.

You are simply wrong.
    All across the country there are good pubs and bad pubs, successful pubs and failing pubs.

As there always has been and I'm sure will be.
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Did you? I didn’t see it (genuinely)!
    eadric said:

dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Your kids are weird.

My wife is 24 and she and her friends used to go to pubs all the time (usually "the Spoons"- cheap, innit). The virus has stopped this but they will be straight back in when the Taverns of Albion reopen
    Maybe they are. Weird that is. I merely am an elderly observer.
    Still reckon quite a number of pubs will go under. Many were treading water beforehand.

eadric said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

I am descended, very probably, from Rollo of Normandy, who ordered that 100 slaves be ritually executed at his own funeral.

*shudders*
    We* are all, very probably, descended from Rollo of Normandy if he has any any living descendants at all. It's just a factor of the maths.

Maybe we should all just self-flagellate and apologise for the sins of our ancestors. The Jesuits can make sure we are doing it properly.
    dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Why wouldn't they dream of visiting a pub?

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

Young people become old people and old people are always more conservative. The Tories now win non graduates, they could keep winning on that basis forever as even with the young non graduates outnumber graduates.

Boris has a position entirely in tune with centrist dads, an inquiry on BAME equality, keep Churchill's statue.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.

In summary though, she is Black and hates the way the BLM movement claims to speak for Black people. She made the (fair) point the Democrats have done little for Black people in a long time (and, yes, I think 1965 was a long time ago)
    She is in a very niche group.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    MrEd said:

There was a very good article (and I can't find the link annoyingly) that said Trump would be able to claim a rapid rebound in Q3 because, on a Q on Q basis, the numbers will look strong. Look at what he did with the May retail sales. That will be his tactic - absolute numbers won't look great but the comps will look good (QoQ/MoM, not YoY)

Yes, but will that work when voters can see unemployment all around them?

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

But not the slavery which still exists around the world or the modern slavery which benefits middle class lifestyles in this country.

Funny how people don't want to talk about those.
    Oh, I am quite happy to talk about the exploited workers at the sharp end of globalised capitalism too.

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alright, I believe you :)

I said Trump over Biden but, if it was Trump vs Warren, it would be a closer call.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

At the last election, the tipping point for people voting Conservative rather than Labour fell from 47 to 37.

All of my life, people have been arguing that the Conservatives are doomed because young people are left wing, and will remain left wing as they age.
    I'd like to see that split between homeowners by age and renters by age.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,611

eadric said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

*shudders*

Exactly. Go back that far and work out how many ancestors we each have. Either we are all descended from Rollo, or none of us is.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Tiny France should have theirs taken away and their seat should either be given to the EU as a whole, or simply handed to Germany

The UK should of course be allowed to remain, forever, as we had the biggest empire in history.

I presume most nations must not like the five permanent member set up, I'm vaguely curious what it would take to ever change it.
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

Yes. The 18-29 year olds who voted to Remain in 1975, were the 59 - 70 year olds who voted to Leave in 2016. It's well-established that peoples' views on immigration shift right as they age.
    Errr, weren't the young more likely to be opposed to Europe in the 1975 referendum than older age groups?

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I have bet accordingly.

She is in a very niche group.
    Well, I'm not sure, There is a bit of polling to suggest younger Black American voters don't like the victim narrative and have a more favourable view of Trump. Her parents are definitely more old-school Black Democrats.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

Francis Pryor, wrote the superb Making of the English Countryside. Also an OE and, judging by this conversation, a cousin of yours. And if Sam was a different operation, that does leave open the question what sorts of business the main bank was funding for 300 years, that had nothing at all to do with the Atlantic trade.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522

Meanwhile in Germany...

There's only so much humiliation a world beating nation can take.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,272
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

EPG said:

eadric said:

I'm with you. They won't ditch him and people do not walk away from the top job voluntarily. So I think he fights and loses the next election.

MrEd said:

I think (and obviously I can't speak for them) the key question will be who they trust to get them out of the hole. Having a virus wreck the economy is not the usual mismanagement story or banks bringing down the economy. Trump can also point to the fact that he wanted to get the economy moving again quicker than the Democrats wanted. I'm not sure the usual analysis of high unemployment = bad for the incumbent will work in November.
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

fpr for Stuart

Yes, I think so too. While there is a formal BLM organisation, the informal supporters willing to turn out are 100 times the numbers. XR is the same, and why opponents struggle to contain it too. Both organisations are organic and decentralised networks rather than formal.
    Same as Momentum. But they imploded in the end

Interestingly I detect friction in my lefty friends between XR and BLM. The former feel that BLM is sucking up all the energy, and people who are generally politicised, on the left, have stopped caring so much about the climate.

I suspect they are right
    I suspect not.

XR have a day of action planned for next week, so let's see. They usually get a good turnout.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps the UK should just pull out of the UN in protest against its wokeness.

https://twitter.com/UN/status/1262322788687323136

MrEd said:

Yes, they're more likely to be persuaded by the size of their pay or welfare cheques than anything Fox news tells them.
    eadric said:

dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Your kids are weird.

My wife is 24 and she and her friends used to go to pubs all the time (usually "the Spoons"- cheap, innit). The virus has stopped this but they will be straight back in when the Taverns of Albion reopen
    Pretty sure the Spoons will reopen and survive. There is one in my local patch whose opening probably contributed to a couple of others finally going under.

Meanwhile in Germany...

Maybe we could persuade a Premiership footballer to start a campaign to roll-out the German tracing app here?

It would be government policy by the end of next week.
    Brilliant!!!

dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I don’t say this to be rude, but there are a lot of crap pubs up north. That’s one reason why I preferring walking and cycling down south - the pubs are simply far superior. They more than make up for the less dramatic landscapes.
    If we survive I will invite you to my part of South Lakeland where I will show you walks and cycling routes and landscapes to die for and lots of really good pub/restaurants. As good as you get wherever you are.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alright, I believe you :)

I said Trump over Biden but, if it was Trump vs Warren, it would be a closer call.
    Cripes. I meant I saw your answer but not your question...

dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Not rude. Very true. Cheaper though.
This discussion has been closed.