Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s WH2020 betting: Next President and the Dems VP Nomin

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited June 2020

Bringing Sanders' supporters to Trump seems unlikely; certainly not "large parts". For a start, Bernie himself might be persuaded to make a pro-Biden speech.

Ditching Pence would not be too shocking. Pence is no longer needed to attract the Christian right, and Pence is too susceptible to the sort of brain-fade moments that Trump will want to attack Biden for. The trouble with Tulsi is it looks too much like a stunt. There's no upside.

I'm sure Bernie would stump for Biden, but Bernie isn't as popular with the Bernie Bros as he used to be... Bernie-Trump swing voters are definitely a thing, this is why Trump kept bringing up Bernie on any pretext during the 2016 campaign. Also note that the surprise gains for Trump, Michigan and Wisconsin, were strong Bernie states.

I don't think Trump has ever been bothered by things looking like a stunt. Change the game, focus on populism vs the establishment, bring in some freshness and youth against the Dems' geriatric insider and his (assuming Kamala) dull careerist hack of a VP.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,592

Bringing Sanders' supporters to Trump seems unlikely; certainly not "large parts". For a start, Bernie himself might be persuaded to make a pro-Biden speech.

Ditching Pence would not be too shocking. Pence is no longer needed to attract the Christian right, and Pence is too susceptible to the sort of brain-fade moments that Trump will want to attack Biden for. The trouble with Tulsi is it looks too much like a stunt. There's no upside.

I'm sure Bernie would stump for Biden, but Bernie isn't as popular with the Bernie Bros as he used to be... Bernie-Trump swing voters are definitely a thing, this is why Trump kept bringing up Bernie on any pretext during the 2016 campaign. Also note that the surprise gains for Trump, Michigan and Wisconsin, were strong Bernie states.

I don't think Trump has ever been bothered by things looking like a stunt. Change the game, focus on populism vs the establishment, bring in some freshness and youth against the Dems' geriatric insider and his (assuming Kamala) dull careerist hack of a VP.
    It also assumes TG will not persuade more never-Trump Republicans to stay at home. However, so far as I can see there is no betting market on GOP VP nominee so we can afford to wait for the announcement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,129
    Someone has already bet on Gabbard being the VP pick - both trumpgabbard.com and trump-gabbard.com have already been bought :smile:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Someone has already bet on Gabbard being the VP pick - both trumpgabbard.com and trump-gabbard.com have already been bought :smile:

One in March and one just now! Hmm.
  • Options
    Really interesting thread from somebody focus-grouping Trump voters. You might think divisiveness on race was kind of the whole point of Trump, and people who didn't like that wouldn't have voted for him. But no:

https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1271255334984826881
    https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1271255335819411461
    https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1271255338000490496
  • Options

Really interesting thread from somebody focus-grouping Trump voters. You might think divisiveness on race was kind of the whole point of Trump, and people who didn't like that wouldn't have voted for him. But no:

https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1271255334984826881
    https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1271255335819411461

It is interesting to reflect on those findings applied to British politics, and SKS's gentle, more in sorrow than anger probing of Boris at PMQs; even pre-2017 Jeremy Corbyn reading constituents' questions and asking Theresa May about buses.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    rcs1000 said:

🤡
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,049
    edited June 2020
    O/T

Does anyone know why power generation in the UK peaked in 2005 and has been dropping ever since? Fewer factories maybe.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-electricity-generation-2018-falls-to-lowest-since-1994
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Does anyone know why power generation in the UK peaked in 2005 and has been dropping ever since? Fewer factories maybe.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-electricity-generation-2018-falls-to-lowest-since-1994

Guesses: more efficient appliances; solar panels on people's roofs; global warming meaning less need for heating, and in Britain we do not compensate by having as much air-conditioning installed as other countries.

Working from home may reverse some of these trends, as it is now one lightbulb per worker. Electric cars too.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,332
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Around June 11 2016 Clinton led 5-12 point in the polls and still lost.

Yes, and that's why Biden is only a narrow favorite at this point in time.

One thing I don't think is fully appreciated is how narrow Trump's margin really was. If you run a Monte Carlo simulation where you apply a random number of +2.5 to -2.5% on each of the individual states (while keeping the overall vote shares at 48-46) - i.e. the kind of random variation that we'd expect between elections even if the top-line doesn't change - then you see Trump dropping (on average) about 30 EVs. He ends up President in most scenarios... but far from all.
    It's not random variation though is it? Certain groups of states are heavily correlated. Fivethirtyeight's models take this kind of correlation into account, which is the main reason their model gave Trump a 30% chance of winning on the eve of the last election when other models gave him very little chance.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,387

I have committed the sin of speaking in defence of JK Rowling on Facebook and appear to have lost some friends as a result. What a dispiriting way to have spent a Thursday evening.

I suppose nobody thinks of themselves as a bigot. Is there a reliable test?

It is a sign of our times that people argue about this. Frankly it bores me to tears..
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,899

Jonathan said:

Could Trump ditch Pence? The sort of thing he does, but all the more so if he is suffering in the polls.

Tulsi Gabbard, you heard it here first
    If Trump does want a Democrat running mate, surely Ivanka is closer to home.
    Ivanka doesn't bring over anyone new (OK, maybe some of Ivanka's followers on instagram), Tulsi brings large parts of the Bernie Sanders base.
    Does she ?
    Sounds pretty implausible, if not ridiculous.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,246
    Surrey said:

Trump sounds scared of Republican senators

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1271283583475310592
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,899

Often.
    ‘Usually‘ is a bit of a stretch.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

I have committed the sin of speaking in defence of JK Rowling on Facebook and appear to have lost some friends as a result. What a dispiriting way to have spent a Thursday evening.

It is a sign of our times that people argue about this. Frankly it bores me to tears..
    That says a lot about you.

Trans rights, women's rights, as well as the follow-up on domestic abuse are incredibly important.

You're obviously an older white man. Sometimes it's good to listen and learn.
  • Options
    Do you think UKTV follow politicalbetting.com?! A few days ago I said that I nowadays found it impossible to watch the Germans episode (it's actually the Fire Drill) of Fawlty Towers. Not so much because of the Germans but because of the Major's words about West Indians, Indians and Pakistanis. Totally unacceptable in this day and age.

I'm afraid it had to be pulled.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,387

Trans rights, women's rights, as well as the follow-up on domestic abuse are incredibly important.

Domestic abuse is a serious matter. Janice Turner in thevTimes yesterday was aaying penises could be female. Thats enough.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson had three meetings with a billionaire property developer in the months before he approved a housing scheme on the Isle of Dogs in east London, The Times can report.

Mr Johnson met Mr Desmond, then owner of the Daily Express, for drinks at the five-star Corinthia hotel in Westminster in September 2015, and had lunch with him later that month. They met again in January 2016.

The planning application was called in by Mr Johnson three weeks later and approved by his deputy, Sir Edward Lister, in April, despite objections from the local council.

Sir Edward, now the prime minister’s chief strategic adviser in Downing Street, approved the first version of the scheme after the developers increased the proportion of affordable housing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/developer-richard-desmond-met-boris-johnson-for-drinks-726686fhx
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181

MattW said:

I thought we debated that at the weekend.

The West India Quay one is more interesting, because Mayor Sadiq seems to have taken pride in committing a criminal offence carrying a potential 2 years in jail and unlimited fine.
    I thought we already discussed this and established that the Docklands statue is not included in the listed building status of the nearby building as it was erected almost fifty years after the building was listed?
    It was erected ages ago. Taken away and put back recently.
    Doesn't sound like a planning issue given lapse of time. Like the Cummings's second home.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Scott_xP said:
    It’s going to be interesting to see the govt and its supporters try to spin itself out of this latest catastrophe.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    This is ok. Slight air of having forgotten that he has a mask hanging off one lug but it looks quite jaunty by the end.

https://twitter.com/EdwardTHardy/status/1271200537233457153?s=20
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s going to be interesting to see the govt and its supporters try to spin itself out of this latest catastrophe.

The car makers will save us...

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1271325691980558336
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    "... which started in China" :smile: Hold on though. Let's hope there is a new thread before the pb Tories notice that graph shows George Osborne inherited a growing economy from Labour.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    isam said:

I don't see why the BBC are obliged to have all of their shows available to watch on Netflix or whatever it is that's cancelled an episode of Fawlty Towers though. It's not illegal to buy the DVD, I don't really get the fuss over it.

Don't Like, Don't Watch, is not a bad rule of thumb.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Is GDP down 10.4% or 20%, I mean both are bad but they're not the same
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    Pulpstar said:

20%. The 10% figure is for the three months to April (Feb-Apr).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Only a fifth of UK universities say they are 'decolonising' curriculum

Just 24 out of 128 asked about reforms to address colonial legacy are committed to idea"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/11/only-fifth-of-uk-universities-have-said-they-will-decolonise-curriculum

In all likelihood, they recognise it would damage their academic reputation and be unpopular with students.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

-20.4 in April, -10.4 February, March and April. This is bad.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874

This is ok. Slight air of having forgotten that he has a mask hanging off one lug but it looks quite jaunty by the end.

Biden comes over as someone from a bygone, gentler age. You could imagine James Stewart saying this in "Mr Smith Goes to Washington".

I can see it working.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,476

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    "... which started in China" :smile: Hold on though. Let's hope there is a new thread before the pb Tories notice that graph shows George Osborne inherited a growing economy from Labour.
    Would be more helpful to Labour if they didn’t. It draws attention to the year-long downturn beforehand...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Would be more helpful to Labour if they didn’t. It draws attention to the year-long downturn beforehand...
    April 2020 was worse than the whole 2008 economic crisis. That’s astonishing.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Certainly doesn’t look good. And with the huge levels of government debt, low interest rates and sluggish manufacturing sector, it’s not easy to see a way back either.

This could rapidly become a negative spiral of depressed demand.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    Given how bad the 2008 crisis was - bearing in mind at one point we were literally hours away from a planet wide collapse of the entire economic system - it’s pretty astonishing.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    “The UK's economy shrank by 20.4% in April - the largest monthly contraction on record - as the full impact of lockdown was felt.
    The monthly decline was outlined in figures reported by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
    The fall is three times greater than the decline seen during the whole of the 2008 to 2009 economic downturn.”
  • Options

"April's fall in GDP is the biggest the UK has ever seen, more than three times larger than last month and almost 10 times larger than the steepest pre-Covid-19 fall," said Jonathan Athow, deputy national statistician for economic statistics at the ONS,
    "In April, the economy was around 25% smaller than in February.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,422
    Scott_xP said:
    According to reports if the scientists had listened to Cummings lockdown would have been earlier

And when the public enquiry confrms this what will you post then Scott
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    Foxy said:

Biden comes over as someone from a bygone, gentler age. You could imagine James Stewart saying this in "Mr Smith Goes to Washington".

I can see it working.
    My principal worry about this election is that Americans love and generally go for 'the story', and it isn't clear to me how compelling Biden's story is?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Big fall. Odd situation, though. A lot of it may bounce back rapidly depending how businesses reopening goes.

One angle not mentioned too much is that schools failing to reopen mean many can't return to work. As well as being bad for kids it's not great for parents/the economy either.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    According to reports if the scientists had listened to Cummings lockdown would have been earlier

Was that from a close Downing Street source posted in the Barnard Castle Gazette?
  • Options

Advisors advise, ministers decide.

If Cummings wanted an earlier lockdown, why didn't BoZo do it?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

According to other reports, if the scientists had listened to Cummings there would have been no lockdown at all.

According to any reasonable interpretation of Cummings’ past, both are probably true depending on which day of the week it was and what he wanted people to think at the time.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287

Scott_xP said:

Never forget, King hates Boris with a passion and is an active Labour supporter as well. Zero credibility, same as Neil Ferguson.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_xP said:

Big G, Britain has already had one of the worst outbreaks anywhere in the developed world. Dominic Cummings participated in that catastrophe. Only slavishly loyal Conservatives would see any way to explain away tens of thousands of avoidable deaths.

(PS I’d wonder where these rumours are coming from. Dominic Cummings rewrote his blog and then claimed he’d been prescient. Try not to be too gullible as well as servile.)
  • Options
    So is that the spin? It’s not that bad really, let’s talk about Cummings instead?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Was that from a close Downing Street source posted in the Barnard Castle Gazette?
    You may well find that Cummings did argue for earlier close down and the scientists rejected it and all four regions of the UK followed their advice
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    You are aware that 99% of shops were shut, most manufacturers were shut, all pubs, cinemas, restaurants, nightclubs were shut. And people stayed home most of the time. What did you expect?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

According to other reports, if the scientists had listened to Cummings there would have been no lockdown at all.

According to any reasonable interpretation of Cummings’ past, both are probably true depending on which day of the week it was and what he wanted people to think at the time.

Maybe we should check what his blog said at the time...
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Big fall. Odd situation, though. A lot of it may bounce back rapidly depending how businesses reopening goes.

One angle not mentioned too much is that schools failing to reopen mean many can't return to work. As well as being bad for kids it's not great for parents/the economy either.

My own turnover is probably about 50% of normal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Certainly doesn’t look good. And with the huge levels of government debt, low interest rates and sluggish manufacturing sector, it’s not easy to see a way back either.

No.

The reality is that April and May will be terrible, but then we'll see a positive feedback loop. Some people will return to work in June, and parts of the economy will re-open.

Demand increases, and people feel this month is better than last month. They feel more cheerful and maybe spend a little more than they earn. This means another firm suddenly needs to hire an additional worker. Rinse and repeat.

Now, this doesn't mean everything is hunky dory. Lots of people will have run down savings in the last couple of months, and will therefore have elevated savings rates going forward (and even those that didn't will realise they probably have sailed closer to the wind than they should have).

But I would expect the UK economy to grow month on month through to the end of the year. Even if output is still down year-over-year.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Hardly a surprise, what did anyone expect with virtually nobody at work?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,488
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

The discussion in your link seems pretty good. Energy efficiency has been a success.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

You may well find that Cummings did argue for earlier close down and the scientists rejected it and all four regions of the UK followed their advice
    And no doubt his blog will be retrospectively edited to prove it. 🤷‍♂️ If that Rose garden press conference taught us anything , it is that you can’t trust any word that man says.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The scientists said no hence Boris, Sturgeon, Drakeford, and Foster all acting in unison

If you want to attack the decison attack all four leaders. Remember Sturgeon has already said they were slow but she always states this is from hindsight
  • Options
    I can’t say the economic figures for April worry me. They were surely expected - desired, even, given that the government was trying to squelch economic activity.

June onwards are figures to pay attention to.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Got a link to that?

Haven't seen those. Thanks.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted but The Economist open-sourced their 2020 model:

https://github.com/TheEconomist/us-potus-model
  • Options
    Crikey that's one hell of a fall in GDP. 20.4% contraction in a month. Hell's bells.

It's not likely to be a pretty sight on the markets today.
  • Options

I can’t say the economic figures for April worry me.

But then the economy never was Labour's strongest point ...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Got a link to that?

Haven't seen those. Thanks.
    The original story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-ten-days-that-shook-britain-and-changed-the-nation-for-ever-spz6sc9vb

And the Official Denial:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/22/no-10-denies-claim-dominic-cummings-argued-to-let-old-people-die
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

And no doubt his blog will be retrospectively edited to prove it. 🤷‍♂️ If that Rose garden press conference taught us anything , it is that you can’t trust any word that man says.
    Your dislike of Cummings seems to overpower your reason. Any public enquiry will seek independent witness statements of the meetings and Cummings role in them. If it then confirms Cummings did demand an earlier lockdown will you apologise
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    Given how bad the 2008 crisis was - bearing in mind at one point we were literally hours away from a planet wide collapse of the entire economic system - it’s pretty astonishing.
    Were we? A number of banks might have gone under - which, admittedly would have made things worse in the short to medium term - but people would have still gone to the pub.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Gavin and Stacey in some sort of race row. Honestly I'm struggling to keep up.

I have never watched more than five minutes of it, but I hear it is because of a character called "Chinese Dave" who liked Chinese food
    It should have been banned because it was absolute crap.
  • Options

The scientists said no

BoZo listened to a man who resigned, but didn't listen to the man he torched his Government to save...

You need a better spin line
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

The reality is that April and May will be terrible, but then we'll see a positive feedback loop. Some people will return to work in June, and parts of the economy will re-open.

Demand increases, and people feel this month is better than last month. They feel more cheerful and maybe spend a little more than they earn. This means another firm suddenly needs to hire an additional worker. Rinse and repeat.

Now, this doesn't mean everything is hunky dory. Lots of people will have run down savings in the last couple of months, and will therefore have elevated savings rates going forward (and even those that didn't will realise they probably have sailed closer to the wind than they should have).

But I would expect the UK economy to grow month on month through to the end of the year. Even if output is still down year-over-year.
    Well this flies completely in the face of yesterday's market assessment. The falls were based on fears of a second wave.

Until there's a vaccine or cure you just cannot make those assertions (assumptions) Robert.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    Were we? A number of banks might have gone under - which, admittedly would have made things worse in the short to medium term - but people would have still gone to the pub.
    How, if they couldn’t access money?
  • Options

I can’t say the economic figures for April worry me.

But then the economy never was Labour's strongest point ...
    1) you can’t read.
    2) I’m not a Labour supporter.

I’d say try harder, but you’re already a try-hard.
  • Options

Crikey that's one hell of a fall in GDP. 20.4% contraction in a month. Hell's bells.

What is remarkable is how the markets, particularly in the US, managed to forget what has been going on for the past month
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Big G, Britain has already had one of the worst outbreaks anywhere in the developed world. Dominic Cummings participated in that catastrophe. Only slavishly loyal Conservatives would see any way to explain away tens of thousands of avoidable deaths.

(PS I’d wonder where these rumours are coming from. Dominic Cummings rewrote his blog and then claimed he’d been prescient. Try not to be too gullible as well as servile.)
    Your last sentence can be applied in equal measure to yourself
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    The tax payer would have bailed them out pretty quickly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Overall savings rates have been significantly up during the crisis period, I believe
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I have never watched more than five minutes of it, but I hear it is because of a character called "Chinese Dave" who liked Chinese food
    We can’t go round banning things just because they’re crap, Malcolm. I mean, where would the bagpipe industry be?

In a rather different context but Hislop’s comments on censorship still ring true:

https://youtu.be/jG-1YQ1qC8w

Ignore the second half, it’s Mark Steele trying to be funny and isn’t a success.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Your dislike of Cummings seems to overpower your reason. Any public enquiry will seek independent witness statements of the meetings and Cummings role in them. If it then confirms Cummings did demand an earlier lockdown will you apologise
    You’ve gone soppy.
  • Options

The markets across the world saw large drops last night before our figures
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    We did. That’s why the economy didn’t collapse!

The bailout plan was a success, on its own terms. The problem was that if the then government had been properly monitoring the banks, while they might have been less profitable in the short term they would probably never have needed bailing out at all. As the Australian banks did not.

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Overall savings rates have been significantly up during the crisis period, I believe
    Says it all really!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

We are in unknown territory. The 20 per cent drop is not due to market failure like normal recessions but by government diktat. Some economic activity will be lost forever, some merely deferred. You say people might have run down savings but others will have built them up because there has been nothing on which to spend their earnings. It's not only furloughed workers who cancelled their holidays.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    It really isn't.
    We did. That’s why the economy didn’t collapse!

The bailout plan was a success, on its own terms. The problem was that if the then government had been properly monitoring the banks, while they might have been less profitable in the short term they would probably never have needed bailing out at all. As the Australian banks did not.

Have a good morning.
    The point I'm making is that there is a difference between the economy and the banking system. The crisis in 2008 was related to a specific industry, which just happens to be quite important to the day-to-day functioning of the economy. Right now it's the economy itself that is in trouble.

The government could scrap all measures relating to COVID-19 today and it would make very little difference in my opinion.
  • Options

Bit racist there, what is your problem with older white men
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Says it all really!
    It says the shops have been shut.
  • Options
    When does the government next publish its books?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

We can’t go round banning things just because they’re crap, Malcolm. I mean, where would the bagpipe industry be?

In a rather different context but Hislop’s comments on censorship still ring true:

https://youtu.be/jG-1YQ1qC8w

Ignore the second half, it’s Mark Steele trying to be funny and isn’t a success.
    Ydoethur, you are obviously tone deaf if you do not like the sound of the pipes either that or a heathen.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,302
    malcolmg said:

I think the point being made is that Older White Men are disproportionately less likely to suffer domestic abuse. They’re more likely to be running everyone’s lives.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Says it all really!
    It says the shops have been shut.
    And a lot of people have been protected by the furlough scheme so savings haven't been run down.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,370
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps it was one of those unusual occassions when Boris showed some backbone.

Everyone knows Johnson is pathelogically averse to what he would consider restrictive and illiberal government dictat. I suspect the lockdown was totally at odds with his political and personal philosophy.

That said, I don't for one minute believe Cummings was overruled by dodgy science, more than likely the diametric opposite.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The scientists said no hence Boris, Sturgeon, Drakeford, and Foster all acting in unison

If you want to attack the decison attack all four leaders. Remember Sturgeon has already said they were slow but she always states this is from hindsight
    G trying to protect your heroes Bozo and Cummings by always highlighting Sturgeon is not a pretty sight. Look at the ratings.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,049
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

I think the point being made is that Older White Men are disproportionately less likely to suffer domestic abuse. They’re more likely to be running everyone’s lives.
    Is it back in fashion to be able to have a go at "gammons"?
  • Options

Perhaps it was one of those unusual occassions when Boris showed some backbone.

Ha

HaHaHa

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

We are in unknown territory. The 20 per cent drop is not due to market failure like normal recessions but by government diktat. Some economic activity will be lost forever, some merely deferred. You say people might have run down savings but others will have built them up because there has been nothing on which to spend their earnings. It's not only furloughed workers who cancelled their holidays.
    I think this is best compared to something like an earthquake or a hurricane, which hammers regular economic activity for a while.

In those cases, economic output bounces back fairly quickly. In the US, states which have re-opened have also seen economic activity come back fairly quickly.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

Well this flies completely in the face of yesterday's market assessment. The falls were based on fears of a second wave.

Until there's a vaccine or cure you just cannot make those assertions (assumptions) Robert.
    Sure I can.

Look. I just made them.

And look at yesterday's market moves if you like: at the beginning of yesterday, the S&P500 was up for the year. Despite CV-19 and already stretched valuations, the S&P500 was actually up. That's absurd.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

No.

I think this is best compared to something like an earthquake or a hurricane, which hammers regular economic activity for a while.

In those cases, economic output bounces back fairly quickly. In the US, states which have re-opened have also seen economic activity come back fairly quickly.
    Don't under-estimate the impact of the climate and seasons. It's understandable why businesses are getting itchy; they can see summer disappearing and the economic recovery is likely to be suppressed in the autumn and winter.
This discussion has been closed.