Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Template

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Blimey, definitely unprovoked unlike the tea thing.

It's going down like a bucket of cold sick.

Even on Twatter.
    Personally I've never shopped in that store, but I thought pretentious twats was kind of their brand identity?
    Being woke is niche marketing. It can work if you build up your brand on that basis.

If it turns out that you actually route your profits through a tax haven, or get children in South East Asia to manufacture your goods for a pittance, then it can backfire.
    Pretty much the only brands I can think of that I would think suits "woke" as part of the brands culture would be Body Shop and Lush. More the latter probably, Lush must be Queen of the "woke" brands.
    No, body shop has the same issue you describe with Gillette, the people who agree aren't going to suddenly buy more and the people you piss off will buy less. I expect the tweet was put out by an overzealous social media manager and tomorrow morning the business analysts will be brought in to walk it back.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:
    WTF were people doing waving it anyway?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The problem for Starmer however is while he has good favourability ratings his party clearly still does not.

He is still yet to complete the changes to reform and modernise and moderate his party Kinnock and John Smith managed let alone Tony Blair.

So even if he does become PM it is hard to see an overall majority for Labour at the next general election unless major changes are made

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1270682450574880768?s=20

This was a problem for Blair too. He overcame the problem by renaming the party New Labour. New Labour is no longer the reassurance it once was but a simple remarketing strategy would help.
    Blair already had big poll leads when he took over as leader and New Labour accelerated that.

Tory swing voters are still not ready to risk voting for a Starmer led Labour Party as they were ready to vote for Blair and New Labour
    2020 isn't 1997, it's still 1993!

1997 comes around again in 2024.

With the government under the cosh for Covid-19 and a massive economic aftershock on its way, bolstered by no deal, I don't see how this government navigates the next four years without losing rather than retaining support.

Johnson and/or his successors could pull rabbits from hats, although I can't see the rabbits or the hats at the moment..
    It's a bit of a leap to say that the Government will widely take the blame for it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    On a totally original note I think I've discovered where Tarquin and Tristram originated as stereotypical pretentious middle class names:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_and_Mildred#Cast
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,738
    Charles said:

Alistair said:
    Because they are racists?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jenny Harries comments have not aged at all well.
    I was against early lockdown so I am not going to argue with Jenny Harries, but I do think relying on the model will be a public inquiry issue. Are we talking about the 13 year old code, non-peer reviewed, with bugs that I think she means?

Its now known that more people were both infected and dying than was known about at the time.

That might have affected the lockdown date.

Not realising the importance of testing was the big scientific failure IMO.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The problem for Starmer however is while he has good favourability ratings his party clearly still does not.

He is still yet to complete the changes to reform and modernise and moderate his party Kinnock and John Smith managed let alone Tony Blair.

So even if he does become PM it is hard to see an overall majority for Labour at the next general election unless major changes are made

This was a problem for Blair too. He overcame the problem by renaming the party New Labour. New Labour is no longer the reassurance it once was but a simple remarketing strategy would help.
    Blair already had big poll leads when he took over as leader and New Labour accelerated that.

Tory swing voters are still not ready to risk voting for a Starmer led Labour Party as they were ready to vote for Blair and New Labour

With the government under the cosh for Covid-19 and a massive economic aftershock on its way, bolstered by no deal, I don't see how this government navigates the next four years without losing rather than retaining support.

Johnson and/or his successors could pull rabbits from hats, although I can't see the rabbits or the hats at the moment..
    We are now 6 months since the last general election and the Tories are still ahead in every poll.

6 months after the 1992 general election in October 1992 Labour were not behind in any poll and in one Gallup poll were 22% ahead of the Tories

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    That leadership campaign update in full:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1270830519341719552
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838
    Alistair said:
    Trump says he won’t consider renaming Army bases named after Confederate generals
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/10/trump-says-he-wont-consider-renaming-army-bases-breaking-with-pentagon-311271

... Therefore, my Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations," Trump continued. "Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!"...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2020

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Even on Twatter.
    Personally I've never shopped in that store, but I thought pretentious twats was kind of their brand identity?
    Being woke is niche marketing. It can work if you build up your brand on that basis.

If it turns out that you actually route your profits through a tax haven, or get children in South East Asia to manufacture your goods for a pittance, then it can backfire.
    Pretty much the only brands I can think of that I would think suits "woke" as part of the brands culture would be Body Shop and Lush. More the latter probably, Lush must be Queen of the "woke" brands.
    What about the Co-Op? Certainly their banking is pretty woke (even after unpleasantness of a few years ago). Their food stores walk the tightrope pretty well; right-ons will seek them out, but I'm not sure that anyone would be actively repelled by them.
    Good point! I forgot about the Co-op.

I've never respected the Co-op or fallen for their hype since I worked there when I was seventeen and there was no minimum wage at the time for 17 year olds and they paid me a fraction of the minimum wage. I got a job a few months later at McDonald's and they paid much better, gave free food and drink and were all around a much better employer.

Seeing people slate McDonald's and/or rave about the Co-op has always made me have a wry smile since.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Even on Twatter.

What about the Co-Op? Certainly their banking is pretty woke (even after unpleasantness of a few years ago). Their food stores walk the tightrope pretty well; right-ons will seek them out, but I'm not sure that anyone would be actively repelled by them.
    Except by their prices.
  • Options
    "Well briefed"

Brilliant contrast to bumbling, babbling Boris and his endless 'erm, errs, erms'

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    edited June 2020
    stodge said:

The GE of 2024 was decided the weekend of the Cummings revelations.

It only gets worse from there.

While I would enjoy seeing the protracted and tortured weakening of this administration over the next three years and ten months and its final electoral humiliation in May 2024 as much as the next person, I'm much less convinced.

The honeymoon has clearly ended but that's a long way from saying defeat is on the cards. We know there is nothing the Conservatives are better at than clinging onto power - anything that money can buy (including votes) will be fair game.

A lot will depend on which school of thought prevails - there are those who think Covid-19 and the lockdown has wrecked the economy and the legacy of mass unemployment and the impoverishing of millions will cast a dark cloud over the country for a decade or more.

OTOH, there are those who see covid-19 more as a natural disaster from which recovery will be swift. They argue the middle classes in particular have done very well out of lockdown - working at home, relaxed and not spending (apart from online). They'll have plenty of cash to splash when the shops re-open and this will give the economy a huge boost ensuring most jobs are safe and life will swiftly return to normal.

As with all good schools, both have elements of truth - neither has a monopoly.
    Boris and his merry men have certainly not covered themselves in glory during their first few months in office but what really scares me is that these are the people who sold the country their prospectus that won the Brexit
    referendum.

Have a look back at their economic vision of a post-Brexit UK and ask yourself whether there is any chance whatsoever of this shower delivering it. Our government has one of the worst performances in dealing with the health aspects of the pandemic and well on its way to having caused the most damage to its own economy and we are supposed to believe that the very same people are going to turn Brexit Britain into some global superpower. Don't make me laugh.

My guess is that the Tories will be lagging 10 points behind by the end of the year and Boris will leg it during 2021 using health as his get out card. .

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,019
    Alistair said:
    Rioting is never a good idea.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,378
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,738

"Well briefed"

Brilliant contrast to bumbling, babbling Boris and his endless 'erm, errs, erms'

Bozo is more at home with his briefs round his ankles.
  • Options
    “Ever had” seems a little extreme when you are looking at a 20 year period
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,006

The GE of 2024 was decided the weekend of the Cummings revelations.

It only gets worse from there.

Your periodic reminder that Ed MIliband's Labour led David Cameron's Tories in the polling averages from late 2010, all of 2011, all of 2012, all of 2013, all of 2014, and was neck-and-neck right before election day in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#/media/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

And that's why Ed Miliband won a majority in May 2015 and became Prime Minister... or not, as the case may be!
    Ed led the VI polls & net satisfaction ratings... but people thought he was boring so he was doomed

Has a lot of Personality (IPSOS-MORI)

Boris 64
    Starmer 30
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We are now 6 months since the last general election and the Tories are still ahead in every poll.

6 months after the 1992 general election in October 1992 Labour were not behind in any poll and in one Gallup poll were 22% ahead of the Tories

Black Wednesday was an instant shock they didn't come back from, this looks more like death from a thousand cuts.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

"Well briefed"

Yeah, they are really quite noticeable. Was it always that bad?
  • Options

"Well briefed"

Bozo is more at home with his briefs round his ankles.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's a bit of a leap to say that the Government will widely take the blame for it.
    Why would this government be different from any previous government?
  • Options

Charles said:

Alistair said:
    Because they are racists?
    I’m sure there are lots of racists who wouldn’t wave that flag though
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,292
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:
    Trump says he won’t consider renaming Army bases named after Confederate generals
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/10/trump-says-he-wont-consider-renaming-army-bases-breaking-with-pentagon-311271

... Therefore, my Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations," Trump continued. "Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!"...
    Reports that one of the suggested alternative names was Fort Bonespur have not been confirmed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

He does realise the Confederacy was another nation in rebellion to his nation doesn't he?

Nevermind.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Who is advising these companies? And why do they listen to them?

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1270812775829450752?s=19

Nike saw a big upward spike in sales when they backed Colin Kaepernick. Success breeds imitation.
    I don't know about Nike but Paperchase went bust, and Gillette suffered from their "best men can be" ad too.
    Did they? That's sad.

Personally that ad impressed me, but I'm not going to shave more than once a day to reflect that so had no impact on my expenditure.
    As far as I'm aware it didn't have any effect. Gillette sales were static.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/charlesrtaylor/2019/01/15/why-gillettes-new-ad-campaign-is-toxic/amp/

They declined significantly by August 2019 and P&G had to write it down.

It's true to say much of that is due to changing consumer habits on shaving. But this didn't help.
    Sales had been declining before the ad. The write down was on the cards before the ad.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Even on Twatter.

No, body shop has the same issue you describe with Gillette, the people who agree aren't going to suddenly buy more and the people you piss off will buy less. I expect the tweet was put out by an overzealous social media manager and tomorrow morning the business analysts will be brought in to walk it back.
    Indeed but haven't they always trod the line of being bleeding edge in cultural issues?

Unlike eg Gillette.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

He does realise the Confederacy was another nation in rebellion to his nation doesn't he?

Nevermind.
    Though Braxton Bragg achieved more for the Union army by fighting against it than almost any Union general did fighting for it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:
    Nicolás Maduro agrees with you.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:
    Nicolás Maduro agrees with you.
    That's just enthusiastic request for change by the masses. Nothing as uncouth as a riot.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I'm not exactly an expert on this subject, but I was a impressed by a sign outside a Lush store in Bordeaux last year: "Not tested on animals. Tested on the English".
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Even on Twatter.

Indeed but haven't they always trod the line of being bleeding edge in cultural issues?

Unlike eg Gillette.
    Being bleeding edge is never a good marketing message for a razor company.
    Very sharp!
  • Options
  • Options
    The mob don't understand history, despite half of them probably having humanities degrees from leading universities.

E.g. Baden-Powell. Don't tear down the statue, add a plaque explaining modern thinking and context on the Edwardian mindset.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Even on Twatter.

Unlike eg Gillette.
    Not that I know of, but it's not a brand I really keep track of. I know they make a big deal out of no animal testing which is whyy wife buys their stuff. Other than that it's just a bit standard brand.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020
    Works? To enforce a new dark age of woke bullshit? These idiots are setting a precedent that will not turn out necessarily to their advantage.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    This article claims he read Mein Kampf and thought the ideas on health and education were wonderful.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/christopher-hitchens-on-the-mildly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Black Wednesday was an instant shock they didn't come back from, this looks more like death from a thousand cuts.
    Far from it, we are now in the midst of a culture war which was not the case when Blair came to power.

The white working class voted for Blair and New Labour, the white working class will not vote for Starmer and Woke Labour
  • Options

The mob don't understand history, despite half of them probably having humanities degrees from leading universities.

E.g. Baden-Powell. Don't tear down the statue, add a plaque explaining modern thinking and context on the Edwardian mindset.

Perhaps the claim should be explored first. It seems to be based on the opinion of one historian.
  • Options

RobD said:
    This article claims he read Mein Kampf and thought the ideas on health and education were wonderful.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/christopher-hitchens-on-the-mildly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/
    Thanks!
  • Options

Works? To enforce a new dark age of woke bullshit? These idiots are setting a precedent that will not turn out necessarily to their advantage.
    How is this mob rule decision making over statues part of a democratic society?

Which mob is making the decisions? Maybe the other mob are coming and they are bigger and have guns.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    He was an anti-Communist

The Nazis has him on their list of people to detain on the invasion of Britain
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Just a couple of miles from me. It celebrates the scouting movement he founded.

Three local MPs have already come out in favour of it staying. BP is popular around here - we even have a school named after him.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:
    'Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organisation etc.'

Obviously the 'people should read it cos they'll immediately see through its pish' line doesn't apply to everyone.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,990

RobD said:

Hitler planned to arrest Baden Powell, had Operation Sealion succeeded. He banned scouting in Germany. Not that one would expect the Woke to know anything about history.

The leader of the council is a twit, who only just held off a vote of no confidence this week. I expect she'll be gone.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,858

I'm not exactly an expert on this subject, but I was a impressed by a sign outside a Lush store in Bordeaux last year: "Not tested on animals. Tested on the English".
    Must have confused a few locals who think the English are animals.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Far from it, we are now in the midst of a culture war which was not the case when Blair came to power.

The white working class voted for Blair and New Labour, the white working class will not vote for Starmer and Woke Labour
    As of today that may well be true, but after 4 years of economic hardship borne out of perceived government mismanagement of Coronavirus and possibly (yet to be seen) the aftermath I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    All these statues being taken down for not being virtuous enough by modern standards hundreds of years ago, triggered by the ill treatment of George Floyd... who held a pregnant woman up at gunpoint in 2007 . This is utterly bizarre, the world has gone mad
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Hitler planned to arrest Baden Powell, had Operation Sealion succeeded. He banned scouting in Germany. Not that one would expect the Woke to know anything about history.

The leader of the council is a twit, who only just held off a vote of no confidence this week. I expect she'll be gone.
    She only survived by casting vote. Leads a coalition of all other parties but the Conservatives....
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

All these statues being taken down for not being virtuous enough by modern standards hundreds of years ago, triggered by the ill treatment of George Floyd... who held a pregnant woman up at gunpoint in the 90s . This is utterly bizarre, the world has gone mad

There are some that will use anything as a reason to kick-off/mobilise.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

RobD said:

Hitchens edits the quote:

In 1939 Baden-Powell noted in his diary: "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organisation etc. – and ideals which Hitler does not practise himself."
  • Options
    RobD said:
    He liked the Hitler Youth as an orginisation. I thought he disavowed the Nazi's ahead of war breaking out though
  • Options

Which mob is making the decisions? Maybe the other mob are coming and they are bigger and have guns.
    If the Council have done this how is that mob rule?

If the voters are unhappy they can elect a new Council.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    Interesting stat, France currently has nearly double the number of people in hospital than the UK has with Covid 19 ,yet it is supposed to have far less infections than the UK and be further along the virus curve.
  • Options
    Another Sturgeon masterclass (Newsnight). She argues and discusses as if the questioner and the listeners are actually adults.

Showing my age, but she reminds me in her style of Jim Callaghan.

• Options

The police advised them to remove it by the sounds of it. Fear of the mob more like.
  • Options

In 3 years they can...

BP is incredibly popular locally. It will be back soon, I suspect - but WITH lasting damage to LDs because of prevarication.
  • Options
    isam said:

All these statues being taken down for not being virtuous enough by modern standards hundreds of years ago, triggered by the ill treatment of George Floyd... who held a pregnant woman up at gunpoint in 2007 . This is utterly bizarre, the world has gone mad

For someone who thinks it doesn't matter you sure do bring up his criminal record a lot.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nevermind.
    Every Confederate state bar Virginia voted for Trump in 2016.

The majority of Trump voting states backed the Confederacy in the US Civil War or were Union states which kept slavery
  • Options

Fair point. At least the council are deciding. But are they doing it to stop a mob?
  • Options
    isam said:

I guess that the Marie Stopes charity will have to change its name. She wrote love letters to Hitler.

There does seem to be bizarre form of displacement activity occurring right now.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    JK Rowling wouldn't have been able to make those Harry Potter movies today:

https://twitter.com/EmmaWatson/status/1270826851070619649?s=20
  • Options

Alistair said:

Things I learnt today.

1. The Whitehouse have demanded an apology from CNN for publishing a poll showing Biden leading.

2. CNN's chief council is called D. C. VIGILANTE and that is totally boss.

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1270802155201576962?s=19

The reply should have been in the form of Arkell v Pressdram.
    You mean like this?

https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/status/1270804176243736576?s=20

Good evening Ben.

Just wondering if you have been affected by Cunards decision not to saill before November. I had the idea you are sailing sometime to New York with them
    Ah yes, good evening. We were due to sail to New York in May this year, which was obviously cancelled by Cunard. Coincidentally we had a cheque from them for a full refund last week, so we are not out of pocket.

We have expressed our confidence in the future by booking the same trip with them next May, so fingers-crossed.

We got a good deal for next year: Queens Grill suite for the price we'd paid this year for Princess Grill.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Nike saw a big upward spike in sales when they backed Colin Kaepernick. Success breeds imitation.
    I don't know about Nike but Paperchase went bust, and Gillette suffered from their "best men can be" ad too.
    Did they? That's sad.

Personally that ad impressed me, but I'm not going to shave more than once a day to reflect that so had no impact on my expenditure.
    Fair enough. Many people (myself included) found it hectoring and patronising.

I haven't bought Gillette since.
    Which probably shows the diference between Gilette and Nike.

Gilette is a necessity, if you're buying razors, shaving foam etc you're doing so because you need to shave. Gilette need regular customers who regularly buy from them, but they can't buy more than they already are doing so, can only buy less. I'm not going to buy more than I already was, but you can buy less.

OTOH for Nike people make individual purchases that frankly aren't necessities. Someone who is impressed by Nike or want to show their support, or simply through the extra publicity can make a purchase they wouldn't have made otherwise and that's extra for Nike's bottom line.
    To be honest there are alternatives like Wilkinson Sword or Harry's.

I use those now.
    Bic twin blade.
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Did they? That's sad.

Fair enough. Many people (myself included) found it hectoring and patronising.

I haven't bought Gillette since.
    Which probably shows the diference between Gilette and Nike.

Gilette is a necessity, if you're buying razors, shaving foam etc you're doing so because you need to shave. Gilette need regular customers who regularly buy from them, but they can't buy more than they already are doing so, can only buy less. I'm not going to buy more than I already was, but you can buy less.

OTOH for Nike people make individual purchases that frankly aren't necessities. Someone who is impressed by Nike or want to show their support, or simply through the extra publicity can make a purchase they wouldn't have made otherwise and that's extra for Nike's bottom line.
    To be honest there are alternatives like Wilkinson Sword or Harry's.

I use those now.
    Bic twin blade.
    Funnily enough, I also use Bic Twin Blade (in the Yellow & Green pack, they're by far the best imo ... the trouble is actually finding them, only Home Bargains appear to stock them.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,021
    edited June 2020
    Deleted
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Alistair said:

isam said:

For someone who thinks it doesn't matter you sure do bring up his criminal record a lot.
    I don't think it meant he deserved to die the way he did, I do think it's bizarre that he was probably a nastier piece of work than the people who are being besmirched daily on the back of his death
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,245
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's official. Johnson is now a joke and PB tories are pinning their hopes on inciting a culture war.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Even on Twatter.

It can also backfire when you're an established everyday brand with a broad customer base who then suddenly wades into politics.

I think that Yougov poll is pretty clear.
    It is clear, but often people say things in response to opinion polls and don't follow through.

So, for example, Tim Martin and his fecking Wetherspoon news pushing Brexit enrages me, but there are several things I like Wetherspoons for - and the same goes for the extreme Remainers from my knitting group.

Maybe your argument is that the risks are only one way, and only brands upsetting the right are at

You're right that not everyone will follow through.

It depends on the product, the alternatives and how strongly how many people feel about it.

Bournemouth and Poole Council are a mob?
    Animal, vegetable, or mineral? Who can tell what they are?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Alistair said:

isam said:

In an age when historical figures are being judged by the standards of the present, surely it makes sense to judge him by the standards of the present too, no?
  • Options
    The scouts added immeasurably to my teenage life.

The mob seem incapable of separating what people achieved with their lives from their views (which were in the context of the society they lived in).

Should we condemn the 1000s who volunteered at the start of WWI in a burst of nationalist jingoism? Should every family who can trace an ancestor who did this be ashamed at their warmongering?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's official. Johnson is now a joke and PB tories are pinning their hopes on inciting a culture war.
    How many elections in a row have the Tories won again? Perhaps you might wish to check which joke parties keep getting their arses handed to them at the ballot box...
  • Options

Alistair said:

isam said:

In an age when historical figures are being judged by the standards of the present, surely it makes sense to judge him by the standards of the present too, no?
    He should be let off the hook because black people were exploited 200 years ago
  • Options

Alistair said:

isam said:

His past behaviour has nothing to do with it. The cops who arrested him didn't know anything about his past, so I can't see how it influenced their actions.
  • Options
    isam said:

George Floyd may (for all I know) have been the world's most evil bastard. He was still entitled to due process.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

Let off the hook from what?
  • Options

The mob seem incapable of separating what people achieved with their lives from their views (which were in the context of the society they lived in).

Should we condemn the 1000s who volunteered at the start of WWI in a burst of nationalist jingoism? Should every family who can trace an ancestor who did this be ashamed at their warmongering?

Tear down the Sikh memorial in Brighton. These were people who volunteered to fight for the Emperor of India.
  • Options

The Council is reaction to non democratic influences

An analogy: a man in a cheap suit and sunglasses comes into a shop and asks for £10,000 in used notes. The shopkeeper gives it to him of his own free will. His behaviour is in now way influenced by the two heavies with baseball bats just outside.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

My whatsapp has been buzzing all evening. Local feeling is very strong. Scouting is about as engrained in British culture as a Good Thing as is possible to be!
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,245

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How many elections in a row have the Tories won again? Perhaps you might wish to check which joke parties keep getting their arses handed to them at the ballot box...
    The blue bubble just popped. Johnson is a joke and will likely run away before facing the electorate again.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

That is a disgusting post. You're talking about someone who was choked to death by a policeman kneeling on his neck.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

No, you're right.

His prosecution should continue. Best let people know they can't escape trial by conveniently dying.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

His past behaviour has nothing to do with it. The cops who arrested him didn't know anything about his past, so I can't see how it influenced their actions.
    That's not my point. Of course the police shouldn't have killed him, no matter what he had done before.

But my point is that the new puritans who want to tear down historical figures for being insufficiently pure by today's standards cannot then turn around and make a man who was himself immoral by present standards into the new saint of their cause.

Because that would be deeply hypocritical.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

I don't think it meant he deserved to die the way he did, I do think it's bizarre that he was probably a nastier piece of work than the people who are being besmirched daily on the back of his death
    It's not bizarre since he's dead gruesomely and they're alive.

Have you never heard of a martyr before? When the officer asphyxiated him for nine minutes he made Floyd a martyr.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

With all due respect, you are either a troll or a fool. Your tag team partner is barely better.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The blue bubble just popped. Johnson is a joke and will likely run away before facing the electorate again.
    Uh-uh. The Tories have a majority of 80 and are 163 seats ahead of Labour. Don't count your chickens too soon...
  • Options

RobD said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

That's not my point. Of course the police shouldn't have killed him, no matter what he had done before.

But my point is that the new puritans who want to tear down historical figures for being insufficiently pure by today's standards cannot then turn around and make a man who was himself immoral by present standards into the new saint of their cause.

Because that would be deeply hypocritical.
    Yeah, it's a convenient excuse for many. The Rhodes campaign has been going for years at this point, what better opportunity to have another push than now?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Tres said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A bit like 2019 when Boris stood and fought, and got a majority of 80?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Charles said:

An analogy: a man in a cheap suit and sunglasses comes into a shop and asks for £10,000 in used notes. The shopkeeper gives it to him of his own free will. His behaviour is in now way influenced by the two heavies with baseball bats just outside.
    If the council has any sense, they'll have temporarily removed it to storage, and will replace it once the fuss dies down.

That probably works out cheaper for the taxpayers of Poole than having a couple of Police guard it full time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

No, you're right.

His prosecution should continue. Best let people know they can't escape trial by conveniently dying.
    Pope Formosus says hello.
  • Options

isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

It's not bizarre since he's dead gruesomely and they're alive.

Have you never heard of a martyr before? When the officer asphyxiated him for nine minutes he made Floyd a martyr.
    The Chuckle Brothers (Isam and Bluest Blue) are on fire tonight!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

If the council has any sense, they'll have temporarily removed it to storage, and will replace it once the fuss dies down.

That probably works out cheaper for the taxpayers of Poole than having a couple of Police guard it full time.
    I suspect this is the case, however they're going to get an awful lot of negative press about it in the meantime.

Edit to add - what sort of a state are we in as a society where statues have to be guarded. Shocking.
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 1997 50% of C2s voted for Blair and New Labour compared to a national Labour voteshare of 43%.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-1997

In 2019 47% of C2s voted for Boris and the Tories compared to a national Tory voteshare of 44%.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2019-election
  • Options

isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

That is a disgusting post. You're talking about someone who was choked to death by a policeman kneeling on his neck.
    You don't say? Stop the press! We've found out how George Floyd died

He is being let off the hook for his horrible recent crimes, whilst people from hundreds of years ago are being retrospectively found guilty of things that weren't even illegal while they were alive. He shouldn't have died, it's a disgrace, but that doesn't mean we have to pretend he was someone to worship, save that for those who've earnt it.
This discussion has been closed.