Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden moves up even more in the WH2020 betting with latest pol

1235»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Newsnight starting on BBC2.

Sterling speaks. That's why there was a sports back page embargo until 10:45
    What happened?
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1270109675481112579/photo/1
  • Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    I've been thinking about this tweet by Trump, and in particular the last line, “Very unfair, but it is what it is!!!” That sounds like an expression of resignation, not the usual "positive thinking" at all. It's as if he's saying "Ho hum, life is unfair, but there you go." Is he about to flounce?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1269761532033937412

Somebody else thought the same thing:

https://twitter.com/BlueWaveIsHere/status/1269799108623171591

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Interesting they thought it relevant to highlight that Colston was a Tory
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,794

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Andrew Neil has a bit of an interview with one of the Minneapolis city council members who are disbanding the police.

Listen to her answer when CNN ask what people should so if someone breaks into their home and there are no police to call.

That, apparently is a question that doesn't really need an answer, because it is a question that comes from a person's white privilege.

https://world.wng.org/2018/03/camden_s_new_day
    From that interview, no reform is being planned. There simply won;t be any forces of law and order in Minneapolis.

Simply to ask what the arrangements after the police are gone stems from white privilege. Sit there and take your murder, rape and looting and we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

And now we can see what assigning 'white privilege' is in the minds of some.

Come come.

Do you really believe there will be no police force in Minneapolis?

A number of times in the last fifty years, whole units of Police in the UK, have been disbanded. That didn't mean there stopped being police, it meant that there were new names, new people at the top, and often significant changes in the composition of the rank and file.
    You actually live in America, and you also don't understand the scale of this madness. Some of them mean literally what they say: give the job of policing to other agencies "better equipped" - social workers, psychotherapists, etc

This is a classic phenomenon during these social convulsions. Utopian dreaming. The Putney Debates considered communism. In the late 70s there was a serious movement to legalise pedophilia
    With all due respect @eadric, you don't get the extent to which most Americans fear their police.

I live in prosperous, white Los Angeles.

Most of them have had - at some point - a bad experience with the police.

Now, there are some people in the UK who have been accused of crimes, perhaps wrongly. But almost everyone I know in the UK *generally* has good experiences with the police. That's not true of the US.

In any case, there's a bit of a jurisdictional thing here. There will be a Minneapolis Sheriff's Department that will be different from the the Minneapolis Police Department. Eliminating one (and really, we're not talking about throwing 1,000 people onto the street, we're talking about transferring most of them to a new organisation) is not the same as getting rid of all policing in Minneapolis.
    If that's true then why are we all having to suffer these crazed protests?
    Maybe because there are 11 states where 1 in 20 adult African American males are in prison? Not counting the many that are either killed by the police or in the prison system.

Can you really not see why people are protesting? Its a ridiculous state of affairs.
    I mean in the UK.

These seem very particular (and serious) American issues with our police actually far better, although very far from perfect.
    Id agree some of the UK protests are over the top, and they are clearly bad timed. Equally if I was a black teenager or twentysomething I might feel quite differently. Id rather live in a country where they can protest whether or not you or I agree with them.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    CatMan said:

Still not checking temperatures on arrival?!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/08/first-arrivals-under-uk-quarantine-rules-coronavirus

"At Heathrow airport there was some confusion, however, as the first passengers subject to the new restrictions landed. Travellers were asked to fill in the online forms but evidence to prove the information was correct was not required.

Some passengers were surprised by the lack of physical screening for the virus. Fiona Gathright, 59, travelled from Washington DC and will be living in Bristol with her fiance, who had flown in from Hong Kong.

“They didn’t even do a temperature check at either end, not in Washington before we got on the flight and not in London when we got off the flight,” she said. “Somebody could have been on the flight with a 100-plus temperature and gotten off and gone on their merry way.”"

I am trying to decide if we lead the world in complacency or incompetence...

:unamused:
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I think that in all likelihood, Indian voters are in the position of Jewish voters, about thirty years ago. Once quite strongly Labour, but now switching allegiance.

I'm to be convinced - I'm sure a lot of wealthier Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis vote Conservative but I live in Newham which is probably closing on 50% Asian or Asian British and the Conservatives are miles behind Labour.

Indeed, all 60 Newham Borough Councillors are Labour and our new female Mayor is of Pakistani descent.
    Newham is a poor borough. The population is far more Pakistani or Bangladeshi, than Indian. And, voters of Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent vote overwhelmingly Labour.

Indian voters who came to this country tended to be from professional/managerial backgrounds, whereas voters from Pakistan and Bangladesh were much more likely to be working class. Added to that, religion. Muslim voters are hugely supportive of Labour, Hindus and Sikhs rather more diverse in their politics.

So, Newham is massively Labour. Harrow East, a minority white constituency, now has a very solid Conservative majority.
    I agree about Hindus, and the Tories have made significant progress in that community when they made the effort - Anna Soubry won them over big time in Broxtowe after becoming MP by frequently visiting the temple, supporting them against local racists, and other good things. Most older Muslims and Sikhs are still Labour in my experience. With young people it's anyone's guess anyway (which is, really,. as it should be).
    Does anybody have stats for Chinese-Britons? Could be important if lots of Hong Kongers take up Boris's offer.
    There's an active Chinese for Labour group - not sure if the Tories have one. In my experience, most ethnic Chinese voters don't vote.
    There is a Conservative Friends of the Chinese Group according to wiki, launched by one Boris Johnson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Friends_of_the_Chinese
    I'd have thought BBCs and Hong Kong Chinese would dress Conservative.

Very close values match.
    I think that all the passport holders will be born prior to 1997, and that status cannot be inherited. Obviously the rules may change, but it will be an older population, perhaps a much older population, that can come.

In reality, I think few will come. There may be further migration to Singapore, Taiwan, Vancouver, Australia and New Zealand rather than here.
    I think we're going to get some weird Brexit war cultural inversion here where Remainers hope they won't come and Leavers hope they do.
    This is a weird piece of projection. I’d class myself as a Remainer[1], but believe that we owe the citizens of HK the right of abode, if they so choose. We should have extended that right to them when HK was returned to China in the first place, but the Thatcher government chose not to do so for their own reasons.

[1] Albeit of the "we’ve left, now we get to deal with the consequences kind.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,486
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Andrew Neil has a bit of an interview with one of the Minneapolis city council members who are disbanding the police.

Listen to her answer when CNN ask what people should so if someone breaks into their home and there are no police to call.

That, apparently is a question that doesn't really need an answer, because it is a question that comes from a person's white privilege.

From that interview, no reform is being planned. There simply won;t be any forces of law and order in Minneapolis.

Simply to ask what the arrangements after the police are gone stems from white privilege. Sit there and take your murder, rape and looting and we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

Come come.

A number of times in the last fifty years, whole units of Police in the UK, have been disbanded. That didn't mean there stopped being police, it meant that there were new names, new people at the top, and often significant changes in the composition of the rank and file.
    You actually live in America, and you also don't understand the scale of this madness. Some of them mean literally what they say: give the job of policing to other agencies "better equipped" - social workers, psychotherapists, etc

This is a classic phenomenon during these social convulsions. Utopian dreaming. The Putney Debates considered communism. In the late 70s there was a serious movement to legalise pedophilia
    With all due respect @eadric, you don't get the extent to which most Americans fear their police.

Now, there are some people in the UK who have been accused of crimes, perhaps wrongly. But almost everyone I know in the UK *generally* has good experiences with the police. That's not true of the US.

In any case, there's a bit of a jurisdictional thing here. There will be a Minneapolis Sheriff's Department that will be different from the the Minneapolis Police Department. Eliminating one (and really, we're not talking about throwing 1,000 people onto the street, we're talking about transferring most of them to a new organisation) is not the same as getting rid of all policing in Minneapolis.
    Because everyone's been locked up for ages, and there's a punch of pent up frustration.

And a lot of US police forces have been out of control, particularly as regards minorities.

Here's my stat for the day. Since 1870, according to Wikipedia, police forces in Great Britain have killed 220 people. Three of them were in 2019, and one in 2018.

In the US, in 2019, 1,098 people were killed by police. Now, criminals have guns in the US. So, you'd expect a disparity. But 5x as many deaths in 2019 as in the last 150 years in the UK is an insane disparity.
    1) I've not been to pb.c for a few weeks - the world has been a bit crazy, and I've been trying to avoid anything that looks like an argument. But I look in, and hey, compared to the outside world, it's a picture of civility here, even when discussing challenging issues. Well done pb.c - cheered me right up.
    2) Rcs100, you came up on my facebook feed the other day as 'someone you might know' - it turns out we have a mutual friend. I only raise this to make the point when it's nice when the universe throws up these little connections.
  • Options
    Charles said:

But why wasn't the debate getting anywhere? Presumably because some didn't agree with its removal?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218

CatMan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/08/first-arrivals-under-uk-quarantine-rules-coronavirus

"At Heathrow airport there was some confusion, however, as the first passengers subject to the new restrictions landed. Travellers were asked to fill in the online forms but evidence to prove the information was correct was not required.

Some passengers were surprised by the lack of physical screening for the virus. Fiona Gathright, 59, travelled from Washington DC and will be living in Bristol with her fiance, who had flown in from Hong Kong.

“They didn’t even do a temperature check at either end, not in Washington before we got on the flight and not in London when we got off the flight,” she said. “Somebody could have been on the flight with a 100-plus temperature and gotten off and gone on their merry way.”"

Not mutually exclusive of course..
  • Options
    If you have anything worth nicking you are privileged.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I think that in all likelihood, Indian voters are in the position of Jewish voters, about thirty years ago. Once quite strongly Labour, but now switching allegiance.

I'm to be convinced - I'm sure a lot of wealthier Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis vote Conservative but I live in Newham which is probably closing on 50% Asian or Asian British and the Conservatives are miles behind Labour.

Indeed, all 60 Newham Borough Councillors are Labour and our new female Mayor is of Pakistani descent.
    Newham is a poor borough. The population is far more Pakistani or Bangladeshi, than Indian. And, voters of Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent vote overwhelmingly Labour.

Indian voters who came to this country tended to be from professional/managerial backgrounds, whereas voters from Pakistan and Bangladesh were much more likely to be working class. Added to that, religion. Muslim voters are hugely supportive of Labour, Hindus and Sikhs rather more diverse in their politics.

So, Newham is massively Labour. Harrow East, a minority white constituency, now has a very solid Conservative majority.
    I agree about Hindus, and the Tories have made significant progress in that community when they made the effort - Anna Soubry won them over big time in Broxtowe after becoming MP by frequently visiting the temple, supporting them against local racists, and other good things. Most older Muslims and Sikhs are still Labour in my experience. With young people it's anyone's guess anyway (which is, really,. as it should be).
    Does anybody have stats for Chinese-Britons? Could be important if lots of Hong Kongers take up Boris's offer.
    There's an active Chinese for Labour group - not sure if the Tories have one. In my experience, most ethnic Chinese voters don't vote.
    There is a Conservative Friends of the Chinese Group according to wiki, launched by one Boris Johnson.

Very close values match.
    I think that all the passport holders will be born prior to 1997, and that status cannot be inherited. Obviously the rules may change, but it will be an older population, perhaps a much older population, that can come.

In reality, I think few will come. There may be further migration to Singapore, Taiwan, Vancouver, Australia and New Zealand rather than here.
    I think we're going to get some weird Brexit war cultural inversion here where Remainers hope they won't come and Leavers hope they do.
    I think we have a moral obligation to people who find themselves in a difficult position owing to our colonial misadventures. So let them come if they want to, although I imagine most of them won't. I think we should give passports to people in the Anglophone Caribbean for the same reason.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    edited June 2020

Charles said:

But why wasn't the debate getting anywhere? Presumably because some didn't agree with its removal?
    It was agreed to add a plaque, the wording of the plaque was then watered down (and de-politicised) on the final version without the Mayor's say so, so he hit the roof and stopped the offending plaque being added.
  • Options
    On topic - I would have thought the riots would help the president in the way that 1968 helped Nixon. Riots alarm people, even if they don't say so. But 1968 Nixon is a different prospect to 2020 Trump, if for no other reason that Trump is the incumbent. And for lots of other reasons too. But then Biden is no Hubert Humphrey either.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

What happened?
    Its hardly a new point being raised, not sure Cole and Campbell are the best examples though, Chris Hughton would be a better example, good managerial record but not many opportunities and got sacked for par finishes. Keith Curle another who has done a solid job but stuck in the lower leagues.

And if its really about racial representation then the bigger issue in football is not black managers but asian heritage players.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Charles said:

It's hardly trying to "pour oil on troubled waters".....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

Because everyone's been locked up for ages, and there's a punch of pent up frustration.

And a lot of US police forces have been out of control, particularly as regards minorities.

Here's my stat for the day. Since 1870, according to Wikipedia, police forces in Great Britain have killed 220 people. Three of them were in 2019, and one in 2018.

In the US, in 2019, 1,098 people were killed by police. Now, criminals have guns in the US. So, you'd expect a disparity. But 5x as many deaths in 2019 as in the last 150 years in the UK is an insane disparity.
    1) I've not been to pb.c for a few weeks - the world has been a bit crazy, and I've been trying to avoid anything that looks like an argument. But I look in, and hey, compared to the outside world, it's a picture of civility here, even when discussing challenging issues. Well done pb.c - cheered me right up.
    2) Rcs100, you came up on my facebook feed the other day as 'someone you might know' - it turns out we have a mutual friend. I only raise this to make the point when it's nice when the universe throws up these little connections.
    You know, if you'd said to me "hey rcs1000, we have a friend in common. Guess which?", I don't think I'd have guessed correctly in a million years :smile:

Send her my best.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Back to China

Back in April posted a suggestion that, based on US intelligence processing timelines, the chances were that the Chinese knew there was something exceptional was going on in Wuhan as far back as late October.

Today we get news of a study done by the Harvard Medical School of satellite imagery of parking around Wuhan hospitals and Internet search data offering some weight to the idea that something was going on in October. It could be, of course, purely co-incidence and on its own not conclusive but a number of different approaches to analysing local events & data that are coalescing around October as a point where some kind of major health event may have been emerging.

There will of course be people with information that we will not ever see but its not the worst bet that the Sars Cov 2 outbreak timelines stretch back that far.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    @noneoftheabove Chris Hughton is a class act and was treated horribly by Mike Ashley (quelle surprise). Newcastle fans will always have a soft spot for him.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

If you have anything worth nicking you are privileged.
    Property is now a privilege, not a right. Peace is now a privilege, not a right.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Very close values match.

I think we have a moral obligation to people who find themselves in a difficult position owing to our colonial misadventures. So let them come if they want to, although I imagine most of them won't. I think we should give passports to people in the Anglophone Caribbean for the same reason.
    Have people in the anglophone Caribbean found themselves in a difficult position? Genuine question. The islands seem quite nice from this vantage point, and the population there is reputed to be long-lived.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Surrey said:

I've been thinking about this tweet by Trump, and in particular the last line, “Very unfair, but it is what it is!!!” That sounds like an expression of resignation, not the usual "positive thinking" at all. It's as if he's saying "Ho hum, life is unfair, but there you go." Is he about to flounce?

• Options
    I've been thinking about this tweet by Trump, and in particular his last line, “Very unfair, but it is what it is!!!” That sounds like an expression of resignation, not his usual "positive thinking" at all. It's as if he's saying "Ho hum, life is unfair, and it's been especially unfair to MEEEEE, but there you go."

Is he about to flounce, to do a Janio Quadros?

Somebody else thought the exact same thing:

If I were a senior Republican figure, I'd want Trump out NOW rather than later when he couldn't be relied on not to screw the GOP not only in WH2020 but in the Senate and many of the other elections being held on 3 November too.

My top tip is still Paul Ryan. A "unity" figure would need to be somebody who has distanced himself from Trump (so not Cruz or Haley, and probably not Pence although he is a very special case) without having voted for or otherwise backed impeachment (so not Romney or Kasich).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

You know, if you'd said to me "hey rcs1000, we have a friend in common. Guess which?", I don't think I'd have guessed correctly in a million years :smile:

Send her my best.
    'her'? The mutual friend I was shown was called Phil!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Very close values match.

Have people in the anglophone Caribbean found themselves in a difficult position? Genuine question. The islands seem quite nice from this vantage point, and the population there is reputed to be long-lived.
    Aren't they all functioning democracies?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

An astounding statistic. It does also highlight why the direct transplantation of BLM, kneeling, 'Don't Shoot!', etc etc from the US to the UK and elsewhere, as if all our societies had the same contexts and were equally troubled, rubs even some fair-minded people the wrong way.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,780
    new thread.
  • Options

@noneoftheabove Chris Hughton is a class act and was treated horribly by Mike Ashley (quelle surprise). Newcastle fans will always have a soft spot for him.

Similar job and ending at Brighton - and agree he is a rare gentleman in a sport that lacks them. I doubt either sacking was down to race, but its hard to deny the reality that black coaches dont get the same opportunities.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

CatMan said:

Quarantine will be a shambles, but a shortlived one, at least for European trips.
  • Options
    Good post, hope its backed up by actions including redress and compensation for those impacted. Doubt it will be or if it is, it will be done begrudgingly and slowly.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about the following tweet by Trump, and in particular his last line, “Very unfair, but it is what it is!!!” That sounds like an expression of resignation, not his usual "positive thinking" at all. It's as if he's saying "Ho hum, life is unfair, and it's been especially unfair to MEEEEE, but there you go, shit happens."

Is he about to flounce, to do a Janio Quadros?

Somebody else thought the exact same thing:

If I were a senior Republican figure, I'd want Trump out NOW rather than later when he can't be relied upon not to screw the GOP not only in WH2020 but in the Senate and many of the other elections being held on 3 November too.

My top tip is still Paul Ryan. A "unity" figure would need to be somebody who has distanced himself from Trump (so not Cruz or Haley, and probably not Pence although he is a special case and his probability would be highly sensitive to the details of how a Trump departure were to play out) without having voted for or otherwise backed impeachment (so not Romney or Kasich).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

It's the same where I live. We have the Georgia State Patrol, the Gwinnett County PD, Gwinnett County Sheriff's department, and for those who live in the city - the city of Suwanee PD.
    Try living in an unincorporated township
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

What happened?
    Its hardly a new point being raised, not sure Cole and Campbell are the best examples though, Chris Hughton would be a better example, good managerial record but not many opportunities and got sacked for par finishes. Keith Curle another who has done a solid job but stuck in the lower leagues.

And if its really about racial representation then the bigger issue in football is not black managers but asian heritage players.
    Chris Powell too, in terms of Black coaches.

Hamza Choudhury is the most prominent South Asian heritage player (Bangladeshi/Grenadan) though we do have quite a few Mid Eastern, Korean and Japanese players over the years.

There is certainly quite a racial divide in sport. That and churches are perhaps the biggest divides.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,903

Charles said:

Perhaps someone wanted the history of the Tory party added to put that in context too?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    rcs1000 said:

Here's another one. In Oakland CA last night to stop a suspected stolen car the police shot the driver 40 times (also killing his pregnant girlfriend's baby).

That's more bullets than the entire British police have fired in the last 5 years - some of which were for terrorist attacks.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    Barnesian said:

Surrey said:

“Lord, the protests will play into Trump’s hands.”

“But not yet.”
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Funny how the Tory Councillor threatened the inscription with vandalism if it was put up.
This discussion has been closed.