Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden moves up even more in the WH2020 betting with latest pol

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,102

Events, dear boy, events.

Earlier this year RCS posted something to the effect that it was important Trump won so that he and the Republican Party would have to clear up the mess they had created. I could see where he was coming from but on reflection I think that is wrong. When you have a bad President, you really have to get rid of him, and the sooner the better.

It's fortunate that he has done nothing utterly catastrophic for the USA and the World in general. He hasn't triggered a nuclear war, for example. I'm not sure he wouldn't do something like that in his second term.

I agree with you. It's very important he is not given another term, whatever Biden's limitations.
    There's five months to go, seven until Inauguration day. He may feel he owes himself a nuclear catastrophe. I really wouldn't put it past him.
    I think a ground invasion of Mexico would be more likely than a nuclear strike if he wants to do something crazy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    edited June 2020
    malcolmg said:

Priti Patel fantastic in the Commons today.

I never thought I would read that but she really was a star today

Let us see how she develops
    Ive been singing her praises the last month or so. I dont like her politics but she has been second best performer in the cabinet since the election, and is on an upwards curve.
    incredibly low bar there, that is a bit like a two legged man being down the field in a one legged race
    Tends to be a sign that all is not well at PB Tory HQ when they start looking for talent in sometimes unusual places.

I well remember the girlish excitement over Sir Geoffrey (who he?) Cox.

Edit: Christ, how could I have forgotten the Ruth for PM hysteria?!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

HYUFD said:
    A big question is turnout - if the Democrats get fired up and we see differential turnout, this could turn into a mega blowout for Trump.
    I don't see that much value in the head to head odds.

Are there any markets yet on number of EC votes for Trump (or Biden)?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Nigelb said:
    I think "the Biden of Biden running mate possibilities" is the perfect description.

Biden was the default choice in a crowded field. He had flaws, but none of them appeared disqualifying. Everyone else made a reasonable case in some respects but none of them were uniquely compelling enough to build momentum.

Why risk another female candidate when there's always Biden? Why risk a radical when there's always Biden? Why risk a gay candidate when there's always Biden? Why risk a maverick billionaire when there's always Biden?

Similarly with Harris - she's a solid choice, a known quantity who won't move the polls much. But with everyone else, you've got the same, why risk X when there's always Harris?
    I don't like the re-argument. White people were happy to go with someone other than Biden by placing him an unprecedented 4th-5th in Iowa-NH. It took black voters in SC to put Biden in contention and to act as a corrective to one wing of their coalition.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,794

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indians (and Jews) are the black sheep of the BAME community because we're successful. Asians especially disprove the notion that skin colour is a major contributory factor in personal failure and this is a huge blow to the lefty narrative of grievance among lefty BAME activists out destroying monuments at the moment.

People use the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures and there are very few Asians who will agree with that stance.

The next step is the left minimising racial discrimination and attacks that Asians have faced ever since we arrived in the UK, attacks and discrimination that Priti Patel describes well and that all of us recognise. It is to minimise the fact that millions of Indians were put into indentured servitude after the banning of slavery. It is to minimise the hardships of Indians due to the decisions made by the East India Company.

Asians are an inconvenient truth that the left can't stand and many of them wish we didn't exist as it disrupts their narrative. As I said yesterday, I'm much more likely to change the racist attitude of a BNP fascist than a lefty liberal who loathes my very existence because I don't subscribe to their culture of blame and grievance.
    This is completely nonsensical. Look at the US in the early 60s. There was far less discrimination against, e.g., Jews or Italians than there had been in the early 20th century, but that didn't mean there was no racism remaining against other races. Would you then have argued that black people complaining about Jim Crow laws were "using the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures"?

As a Jew (on my father's side), the idea that I face the same level of discrimination as a black person in modern Britain is utterly laughable. I can't imagine how self-centred I'd have to persuade myself otherwise on the basis of past persecutions.
    I was talking about the UK firstly, and specifically to skin colour I was speaking about Asians. Obviously Jews are not discriminated against because of their skin colour, though discrimination against Jews definitely exists and is as insidious as other forms of racism.
    I know you were talking about the UK (and the modern day, not the 1960s). My point though is that the reduction of racism against one race does not indicate that racism against another race has reduced in the same way. The US is an example of that in action.
    And yet I've been told countless times by lefty activists about how I should feel about a situation, white lefty liberals telling me that I'm not a "good minority person" or that I'm "a traitor to other minorities" and my personal favourite "people calling you the p-word is nowhere near as bad as people calling a black person the n-word". The last one has been said on three or four separate occasions by different people.

I've experienced racism from many types of people but those who purport to be anti-racists are the worst racists IMO. Tbh, I've got quite a few Jewish friends who agree.
    I think, these days, there's far more evidence of those on the Right wanting to move beyond race than those on the Left.
    Moving beyond race or being "colour blind" is to deny how the human mind works. A lot of our thinking is sub conscious and relies on pattern recognition, skin colour is an obvious pattern our sub conscious minds use.

Even if we can all be consciously colour blind, racism will continue through the sub conscious. It needs to be challenged by education and discussion, not hidden away.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Ive been singing her praises the last month or so. I dont like her politics but she has been second best performer in the cabinet since the election, and is on an upwards curve.
    " I dont like her politics but she has been second best performer in the cabinet since the election"

I'm not sure how you square that circle.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

HYUFD said:
    Having listened a bit more to the arguments today, putting similar statues in local museums where context can be given seems like a very good middle ground.
    Quite. But sadly it having happened the way it has will increase the numbers who are bloody minded about not even moving them, and those who thing its ok it happened this way because of the target will not like that moving also takes time and effort. But the numbers are not as bad as they could be there.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

malcolmg said:

incredibly low bar there, that is a bit like a two legged man being down the field in a one legged race
    Tends to be a sign that all is not well at PB Tory HQ when they start looking for talent in sometimes unusual places.

😄
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Ave_it said:

malcolmg said:

😄
    I can still hear his voice now. :o
  • Options
    edited June 2020

" I dont like her politics but she has been second best performer in the cabinet since the election"

I think Farage is a fantastic campaigner but dont like UKIP or hard Brexit.
    I think McDonnell was the best of the Corbynista's by far but think the Labour party under Corbyn was shambolic.

I dont have a problem seeing competence or good communication in people I disagree with.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

Drakesford heading for rebellion from our hotel and leisure industries as he suggested the 5 mile driving limit in Wales could last for another 12 weeks

While i think the UK government were incorrect to have a free for all in terms of distance straight out of the gate, continuing just 5 mins is potty. I think in France it is 100km, that seems reasonable that you can get out and about to different local places without everybody heading 100s of miles to second homes and the temptation to turn a day trip into an overnight in the car trip and of course hoping to limit spread.
    I expect fury here in North Wales as he destroys the hotel and leisure industry

But then he is a Corbynista who has no care for business
    Where's the Parliament of North Wales going to go then? Caernarfon or Wrexham?
    Machynlleth!

"Machynlleth was the seat of Owain Glyndŵr's Welsh Parliament in 1404,[4] and as such claims to be the "ancient capital of Wales". However, it has never held any official recognition as a capital. It applied for city status in 2000 and 2002, but was unsuccessful."
  • Options

Drakesford heading for rebellion from our hotel and leisure industries as he suggested the 5 mile driving limit in Wales could last for another 12 weeks

While i think the UK government were incorrect to have a free for all in terms of distance straight out of the gate, continuing just 5 mins is potty. I think in France it is 100km, that seems reasonable that you can get out and about to different local places without everybody heading 100s of miles to second homes and the temptation to turn a day trip into an overnight in the car trip and of course hoping to limit spread.

Machynlleth!

"Machynlleth was the seat of Owain Glyndŵr's Welsh Parliament in 1404,[4] and as such claims to be the "ancient capital of Wales". However, it has never held any official recognition as a capital. It applied for city status in 2000 and 2002, but was unsuccessful."
    What do you think of machynlleth- pwllheli? It's quite good isn't it?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Yes one good speech does not a leader make. She has been flat footed on too many other occasions.

The interesting question is if she can survive in the cabinet. She stood out by not backing Cummings, and was at fault for Johnson having to do the reverse ferret on the migrant NHS surcharge. Her quarantine policy seems at odds with the general relaxation of lockdown, and she has form for running independent policies.

I can see why she is favourite in the betting for next cabinet exit. Not for me though, there are too many others likely to cook up i the running for that crown.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Edit: Christ, how could I have forgotten the Ruth for PM hysteria?!
    Now you've got me wondering if the passion for Dishy Rishi will go the same way.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Machynlleth!

Oh probably the most scenic main line railway in Wales!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Yes one good speech does not a leader make. She has been flat footed on too many other occasions.

The interesting question is if she can survive in the cabinet. She stood out by not backing Cummings, and was at fault for Johnson having to do the reverse ferret on the migrant NHS surcharge. Her quarantine policy seems at odds with the general relaxation of lockdown, and she has form for running independent policies.

I can see why she is favourite in the betting for next cabinet exit. Not for me though, there are too many others likely to cook up i the running for that crown.
    The optics not great in losing another woman. She probably is most likely to stand up to Cummings so will always be a candidate in next out.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited June 2020

I think McDonnell was the best of the Corbynista's by far but think the Labour party under Corbyn was shambolic.

I dont have a problem seeing competence or good communication in people I disagree with.
    The PB consensus that Farage was a drag on the UKIP vote was one of the worst takes I've seen on here. People seem to just have to hate all aspects of those they disagree with
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    "Brave" of Labour to accuse an Asian Home Secretary of not understanding racism.......

By brave I of course mean dumb
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I read elsewhere that the Welsh Government had said the country wouldn't be open for Summer holidays this year. I might be mistaken, although that statement about telling everyone to stay local would suggest that I'm not.

It's a tremendous gamble. Presumably he is preparing to blame Sunak for winding down the furlough scheme for the imminent death of the Welsh tourism sector? Anyway, if England gallops on ahead with unshuttering and then has a major second spike in hospitalisations then he'll be vindicated. If it doesn't then he'll have a lot of explaining to do.
    That relates to an article quoted from the Independent. Drakeford denied saying that or that the article implied it. Drakeford, who was surprisingly cogent and confident today indicated they were working on self-contained accomodation opening this summer, but that non-self contained, presumably hotels and guest houses were unlikely to reopen for the foreseeable future. I suspect market demand, rather than Drakeford will do for these businesses.
    Market demand can hardly be said to have killed off any business if the Government has intervened to prevent the functioning of the market in the first place.
  • Options
    From the looks of it Starmer trod a sensible line today as well, not giving in to the easy response.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Watching Priti Patel bitchslap Zarah Sultana was impressive.

It was also very funny.

She can turn on the style when she wants, can’t she?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

The PB consensus that Farage was a drag on the UKIP vote was one of the worst takes I've seen on here. People seem to just have to hate all aspects of those they disagree with
    I don't think Farage was said to be a drag on the UKIP vote. I don't think UKIP were taken that seriously as a major party.

I think the argument was that Farage would have been a drag on the Brexit vote had he been front and centre and I believe that. I'd have probably voted Remain had Farage been front and centre for Brexit.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297
    edited June 2020

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indians (and Jews) are the black sheep of the BAME community because we're successful. Asians especially disprove the notion that skin colour is a major contributory factor in personal failure and this is a huge blow to the lefty narrative of grievance among lefty BAME activists out destroying monuments at the moment.

People use the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures and there are very few Asians who will agree with that stance.

The next step is the left minimising racial discrimination and attacks that Asians have faced ever since we arrived in the UK, attacks and discrimination that Priti Patel describes well and that all of us recognise. It is to minimise the fact that millions of Indians were put into indentured servitude after the banning of slavery. It is to minimise the hardships of Indians due to the decisions made by the East India Company.

Asians are an inconvenient truth that the left can't stand and many of them wish we didn't exist as it disrupts their narrative. As I said yesterday, I'm much more likely to change the racist attitude of a BNP fascist than a lefty liberal who loathes my very existence because I don't subscribe to their culture of blame and grievance.
    This is completely nonsensical. Look at the US in the early 60s. There was far less discrimination against, e.g., Jews or Italians than there had been in the early 20th century, but that didn't mean there was no racism remaining against other races. Would you then have argued that black people complaining about Jim Crow laws were "using the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures"?

As a Jew (on my father's side), the idea that I face the same level of discrimination as a black person in modern Britain is utterly laughable. I can't imagine how self-centred I'd have to persuade myself otherwise on the basis of past persecutions.
    I was talking about the UK firstly, and specifically to skin colour I was speaking about Asians. Obviously Jews are not discriminated against because of their skin colour, though discrimination against Jews definitely exists and is as insidious as other forms of racism.
    I know you were talking about the UK (and the modern day, not the 1960s). My point though is that the reduction of racism against one race does not indicate that racism against another race has reduced in the same way. The US is an example of that in action.
    Then why does the left use BAME as if it were some homogeneous, unchanging monolith, which it clearly isn't?
    Dunno. Do we? We shouldn't. I don't. Maybe the left isn't some homogenous, unchanging monolith either.

I suspect you're actually thinking of the idpol-obsessed box-tickers who I wouldn't really call left at all since they're opposed to any significant shift of power or wealth in society.
    Looks like you and me are the wrong sort of left.

We're not thinking like we're supposed to as a breed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Nigelb said:

The politicisation of the FDA is a very bad thing indeed.
    Resisted so far, but Trump really must go.

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1270036338407100417

Anyone thinking the FDA is independent should look into the history of the organisation. Don't forget it's the FDA that presides over the chlorinated chicken we're currently being menaced by.
  • Options

Machynlleth!

That’s in Mid Wales not North Wales.

Should be Bala really.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Having listened a bit more to the arguments today, putting similar statues in local museums where context can be given seems like a very good middle ground.
    Quite. But sadly it having happened the way it has will increase the numbers who are bloody minded about not even moving them, and those who thing its ok it happened this way because of the target will not like that moving also takes time and effort. But the numbers are not as bad as they could be there.
    True, but had it happened as a local event in Bristol, the country would know less about the horrors of slavery than they do today. I didnt know the slaves were branded with the initials of the Royal African Company for instance.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Floater said:

"Brave" of Labour to accuse an Asian Home Secretary of not understanding racism.......

It's almost as if Labour sees Priti Patel as the wrong sort of Asian...
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Machynlleth!

Central Wales line is good. Llanelli- Shrewsbury
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Reminder - see latest Covid-19 data for your constituency and compare with others. Uses Drilldown and Graphs. From PHE, PHW and ONS data.
    https://verify-it-c19data.co.uk/
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    isam said:

Quite. The truth is normally more complex. Someone like Farage is a fantastic asset for a minor party to boost its profile and vote share, but by the same token such a divisive figure also imposes a ceiling on that party's support.

Farage was only a drag on the UKIP vote if you assume that they could have done even as well as they did, let alone better, without him. The evidence suggests that they couldn't.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Then why does the left use BAME as if it were some homogeneous, unchanging monolith, which it clearly isn't?
    Dunno. Do we? We shouldn't. I don't. Maybe the left isn't some homogenous, unchanging monolith either.

I suspect you're actually thinking of the idpol-obsessed box-tickers who I wouldn't really call left at all since they're opposed to any significant shift of power or wealth in society.
    Looks like you and me are just the wrong sort of left.

Treating an opposing tribe (political or otherwise) as monolithic and homogenous is common to all sides. One can debate if one side or another does it more or more intensely - and personally I think that depends on the issue under debate - but it certainly happens and no one gets covered in glory. There won't be a person on here who has not done it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

And yet I've been told countless times by lefty activists about how I should feel about a situation, white lefty liberals telling me that I'm not a "good minority person" or that I'm "a traitor to other minorities" and my personal favourite "people calling you the p-word is nowhere near as bad as people calling a black person the n-word". The last one has been said on three or four separate occasions by different people.

I've experienced racism from many types of people but those who purport to be anti-racists are the worst racists IMO. Tbh, I've got quite a few Jewish friends who agree.
    I'm sorry you've experienced that, and I can only say that it doesn't match up to my own experience moving in lefty circles. But none of that justifies or excuses you minimising the discrimination against other races.
    How often have you disagreed with the groupthink? That's usually when those sorts of comments come out (and after a lot of wine).

I'm also not minimising the discrimination faced by other races, nor would I wish to. What I'm saying is that skin colour is not a bar to success in the UK. There are millions of Asian and Black people in this country who have proved it isn't. I have a lot of time for anyone has suffered from racial discrimination and I've helped many of my friends who are not white with discrimination issues with advice on how best to handle it.

I also have a lot of sympathy for the original intent of the protestors at the moment, the police in the UK are racist towards black people. When I walk down the street and see a black person it just is what it is, for some police when they see a black person they see a potential criminal. Until that attitude is changed the police will always have a problem with racism.

What I have no time for is people wallowing in perpetual victim status. We live in a country where the chancellor and home secretary are BAME and the Mayor of London is BAME that's something to be proud of. As I said yesterday, we've reached a situation where the previous BAME chancellor was replaced with another BAME chancellor. I'm very proud to live in a country where that is possible, I could never see it happen in the US or anywhere in Europe. Not being white is my source of strength, the adversity I faced as a younger person has shaped who I am today, those experiences have made me a more successful person, I don't resent people who hate me for the colour of my skin, I pity them.
    I think that was an even better riposte than Patel’s,
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Machynlleth!

Should be Bala really.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Floater said:

Core vote strategy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,102
    ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Zarah Sultana has a particular obsession with attacking ethnic minority Tories.

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1154334732009844736
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656
    #Priti4Leader nailed it today.

If Cumstain still thinks he can sack her he's a bigger twit than I realised.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Treating an opposing tribe (political or otherwise) as monolithic and homogenous is common to all sides. One can debate if one side or another does it more or more intensely - and personally I think that depends on the issue under debate - but it certainly happens and no one gets covered in glory. There won't be a person on here who has not done it.
    PB Tories are as one however, that is beyond question.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

And why exactly is she terrible?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

National polls from the US aren't particularly enlightening IMO. What we need is lots of state polls from places like Arizona, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina.

I demand more polling of California and Kentucky. We must have clarity on these knife edge races
  • Options

Machynlleth!

There is even some dispute as to whether the first Parliament was at Machynlleth or Dolgellau.

The second one was at his actual headquarters, which was Harlech.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It's actually very useful to see competence or good communication in people you disagree with, or you are likely to underestimate them significantly.

As Hyde once said 'as he was guilty of many crimes against which Damnation is denounced, and for which hell-fire is prepared, so he had some good qualities which have caused the memory of some men in all Ages to be celebrated'
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Well, I suppose abusing Tories for being the wrong sort of non-white is a slight improvement from wishing death on her own party leader.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think that's true, the devil's forms are varied and ever changing ;)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Or in unintentionally promoting Johnson's promotion of ethnic minority colleagues and staff?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

ydoethur said:

Machynlleth!

Should be Bala really.
    Machynlleth is a dump. A run-down main street with a Spar and a couple of tat shops and little else to recommend it. I did find one shop selling celtic knot patterned silver earrings and treated myself to 2 pairs so the day was not a total waste.

Aberdovey is much nicer and not much further out.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think, these days, there's far more evidence of those on the Right wanting to move beyond race than those on the Left.
    How do we distinguish "move beyond race" from "do not worry too much about racial equality"?
  • Options

#Priti4Leader nailed it today.

If Cumstain still thinks he can sack her he's a bigger twit than I realised.

Is this your book talking again?
  • Options
    Looks like Lab are going down their usual racial division route.

Good news we have a sensible moderate one nation government in charge.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

How do we distinguish "move beyond race" from "do not worry too much about racial equality"?
    A reminder that all five of the Great Offices of state are held by people from ethnic or national minorities. So it probably isn’t the second.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There's no need - they're the same thing.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Machynlleth!

Should be Bala really.
    Machynlleth is a dump. A run-down main street with a Spar and a couple of tat shops and little else to recommend it. I did find one shop selling celtic knot patterned silver earrings and treated myself to 2 pairs so the day was not a total waste.

Got a good butcher’s as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Has he ever said "F**k Business"?

Just curious....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A reminder that all five of the Great Offices of state are held by people from ethnic or national minorities. So it probably isn’t the second.
    What/who is the fifth? Johnson, Sunak, Raab, Patel and ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think that's true, the devil's forms are varied and ever changing ;)
    Well there're the Uruk-hai, the Black Uruks, the Morranon Orcs, the Moria Orcs and so on.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What/who is the fifth? Johnson, Sunak, Raab, Patel and ?
    Buckland, who is Welsh.
  • Options

Just curious....
    Actions speak louder than words.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There are five great offices of state?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Not surprising. What would happen to the number if it happened to a significant degree I don't know, but I'm not surprised at the first reaction.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You've lost me.

The inner workings of your mind are a confused place.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Machynlleth!

Central Wales line is good. Llanelli- Shrewsbury
    Before covid my daughter used to travel that line regularly on business for the DWP
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury - Boris Johnson (Turkish)
    Chancellor of the Exchequer - Rishi Sunak
    Home Secretary - Priti Patel (both Asiatic)
    Foreign Secretary - Dominic Raab (Jewish)
    Lord Chancellor - Robert Buckland (Welsh)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He probably thinks they're the wrong sort.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Deleted
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,860
    Floater said:

Perhaps Sadiq Khan was unaware of her ethnic origin.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Perhaps it is anti Hindu predjudice.
    Sajid Javid is not a Hindu.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,324

Events, dear boy, events.

Earlier this year RCS posted something to the effect that it was important Trump won so that he and the Republican Party would have to clear up the mess they had created. I could see where he was coming from but on reflection I think that is wrong. When you have a bad President, you really have to get rid of him, and the sooner the better.

It's fortunate that he has done nothing utterly catastrophic for the USA and the World in general. He hasn't triggered a nuclear war, for example. I'm not sure he wouldn't do something like that in his second term.

I agree with you. It's very important he is not given another term, whatever Biden's limitations.
    I think RCS has now changed his view and thinks it's crucial for the US constitution that he loses this time.
    Excellent!

Now all he has to do is change his mind on Brexit and he will become a respectable poster once more. :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Perhaps Sadiq Khan was unaware of her ethnic origin.
    You khan not be serious.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He probably thinks they're the wrong sort.
    Or maybe Kinebalu is a twat
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

MaxPB said:

How often have you disagreed with the groupthink? That's usually when those sorts of comments come out (and after a lot of wine).

I'm also not minimising the discrimination faced by other races, nor would I wish to. What I'm saying is that skin colour is not a bar to success in the UK. There are millions of Asian and Black people in this country who have proved it isn't. I have a lot of time for anyone has suffered from racial discrimination and I've helped many of my friends who are not white with discrimination issues with advice on how best to handle it.

I also have a lot of sympathy for the original intent of the protestors at the moment, the police in the UK are racist towards black people. When I walk down the street and see a black person it just is what it is, for some police when they see a black person they see a potential criminal. Until that attitude is changed the police will always have a problem with racism.

What I have no time for is people wallowing in perpetual victim status. We live in a country where the chancellor and home secretary are BAME and the Mayor of London is BAME that's something to be proud of. As I said yesterday, we've reached a situation where the previous BAME chancellor was replaced with another BAME chancellor. I'm very proud to live in a country where that is possible, I could never see it happen in the US or anywhere in Europe. Not being white is my source of strength, the adversity I faced as a younger person has shaped who I am today, those experiences have made me a more successful person, I don't resent people who hate me for the colour of my skin, I pity them.

Well said.
    Yes, that's almost exactly where I am on this as well. I think there are other barriers to success in the UK such as poor education and that's a challenge all Governments should be trying to overcome.

That can in turn fuel resentment and it's very reasonable to argue that is colour-blind.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Deleted

Munira Mirza is a Muslim name.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

ydoethur said:

Machynlleth!

Should be Bala really.

It's got the Centre for Alternative Technology nearby, though.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,860
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Well, I suppose abusing Tories for being the wrong sort of non-white is a slight improvement from wishing death on her own party leader.
    I think that in all likelihood, Indian voters are in the position of Jewish voters, about thirty years ago. Once quite strongly Labour, but now switching allegiance.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Deleted

Munira Mirza is a Muslim name.
    I think an altogether more plausible explanation is that Ms Sultana is a twat.

This is borne out by the fact that she seems to hate and wish ill on everyone who even slightly disagrees with her, including members of her own party. Indeed, including the one member of her own party to win it a significant majority and above 40% of the vote in the last fifty years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Did Sultana have a go at him?

Mirza is a Muslim name I think.

Such prejudices do exist. The only racial trouble at Fox jrs school was between Hindu and Muslims, and some of my Hindu colleagues can be very Islamophobic.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

I think that in all likelihood, Indian voters are in the position of Jewish voters, about thirty years ago. Once quite strongly Labour, but now switching allegiance.
    I think that's probably right
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Did Sultana have a go at him?

Mirza is a Muslim name I think.

Such prejudices do exist. The only racial trouble at Fox jrs school was between Hindu and Muslims, and some of my Hindu colleagues can be very Islamophobic.
    She calls him ‘terrible’ in the tweet.

Call me Dr Suspicious if you like, Dr, but I would generally suggest that’s a sign of disapprobation.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Hence Sultana's anger: not just individual wrongthink from Patel by daring to be a Tory, but the gradual loss of an entire voting bloc and with it the loss of an entire narrative about the nature of race in modern Britain. She must be livid.

Tough :smile:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

Machynlleth!

Bugger the parliament. You used to be able to get pairs of Class 37s there on summer Saturday trains to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

We are in changing times...Scots used to overwhelmingly vote Labour until they didn't...White Working class overwhelmingly voted Labour until they didn't...Jews overwhelmingly voted Labour until they didn't...middle class professional overwhelmingly voted Tory until they didn't.

Yes i know sweeping generalisations above.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Sean_F said:

I'm to be convinced - I'm sure a lot of wealthier Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis vote Conservative but I live in Newham which is probably closing on 50% Asian or Asian British and the Conservatives are miles behind Labour.

Indeed, all 60 Newham Borough Councillors are Labour and our new female Mayor is of Pakistani descent.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,948

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Did my best to try and keep her out of parliament !
  • Options

Machynlleth!

Bugger the parliament.
    I say, that's a disproportionate punishment and no mistake!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Looking again at the Steve Bell cartoon (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2020/mar/04/steve-bell-on-boris-johnson-defending-priti-patel-at-pmqs-cartoon)

It does seem to use certain imagery - associated with attacks on Hindus by another religious group. I wonder where Steve Bell got his inspiration from?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    Interesting.

"The Duke of York's lawyers have rejected claims by US prosecutors that he has not cooperated with the inquiry into sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, insisting he has offered to help.

US officials previously accused him of providing "zero co-operation".

But in a statement, Prince Andrew's legal team said he offered help on "at least three occasions".

The lawyers suggested the US Department of Justice was seeking publicity rather than accepting the offer of help."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52969699
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury - Boris Johnson (Turkish)
    Chancellor of the Exchequer - Rishi Sunak
    Home Secretary - Priti Patel (both Asiatic)
    Foreign Secretary - Dominic Raab (Jewish)
    Lord Chancellor - Robert Buckland (Welsh)
    Raab’s late father was Jewish but his mother is CofE and he was raised in that faith. His wife is Catholic and I have occasionally seen him at Mass.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm sorry you've experienced that, and I can only say that it doesn't match up to my own experience moving in lefty circles. But none of that justifies or excuses you minimising the discrimination against other races.

*applauds*
    Correct. Max PB is one of the best on here
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2020
    Ms Sultana is of course no stranger to discrimination....as in her being the one doing the discriminating...white people and jews haven't been her favourites over the years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7653965/Labour-candidates-anti-whites-slur-Zarah-Sultana-centre-race-row.html
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I'm to be convinced - I'm sure a lot of wealthier Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis vote Conservative but I live in Newham which is probably closing on 50% Asian or Asian British and the Conservatives are miles behind Labour.

Indeed, all 60 Newham Borough Councillors are Labour and our new female Mayor is of Pakistani descent.
    I think Indian generally means Hindu or Sikh in this context.

Certainly in Leicester there is a substantial Indian Tory vote, but much less so in the Muslim community, including the significant Gujerati Muslim community.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Don't get your comment about "could never see it happening elsewhere".

America just had a BAME president for 8 years.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Andy_JS said:
    Perhaps why the app is taking so long to roll out?
  • Options
    eadric said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Tory BAME women are quite.... hot
    She looks OK :)
  • Options
    eadric said:

Ms Sultana is of course no stranger to discrimination....as in her being the one doing the discriminating...white people and jews haven't been her favourites over the years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7653965/Labour-candidates-anti-whites-slur-Zarah-Sultana-centre-race-row.html

To be fair she was about 22 when she said all that.

If we were all judged by what we said when we were 22 we'd be in prison.

I'd be in prison for stuff I said last week, if it got out.
    You’ve managed to go for two days without saying something that would put you in the slammer?

Definite progress.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,578

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It was also very funny.

Good old SKS is moving in the right direction but to win the centrist vote Labour has lost he would need to deal with this array of MPs who regard Tories as a whole as being an immoral array of benighted people rather than, by and large a bunch of centrists doing their best with the hand they have been dealt. The Labour BAMEs attacking all the Tory BAME's for somehow not being proper BAMEs seems to me an own goal of massive proportions and will leave most of us bemused.

• Options

Just curious....
    Actions speak louder than words.
    As the economy slides.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited June 2020

isam said:

I don't think Farage was said to be a drag on the UKIP vote. I don't think UKIP were taken that seriously as a major party.

I think the argument was that Farage would have been a drag on the Brexit vote had he been front and centre and I believe that. I'd have probably voted Remain had Farage been front and centre for Brexit.
    Oh believe me he was said to be a drag on the UKIP vote. I remember an afternoon where someone on here just wouldn't have it that Suzanne Evans wouldn't be a better choice for UKIPs 2015 campaign

That's the one with Farage as leader where they got 13%, as opposed to the two either side when he wasn't leader and they got 3
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ireland had a BAME Taesoich too.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

And they replaced him with President dickhead. We went from Javid to Sunak. When America is able to have two minority people hold high national office consecutively call me back.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You've lost me.

The inner workings of your mind are a confused place.
    OK. Not to worry.
This discussion has been closed.