Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden moves up even more in the WH2020 betting with latest pol

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Floater said:
    What do we know about confirmed or suspected cases of Covid-19 outside of China late last year? Presumably various hospitals will be rooting around in their path labs for preserved tissue samples to re-examine?
    There was an outbreak of mysterious fever in the Mercian Regiment just before Christmas. Nobody seemed to know what it was. However, the symptoms are said to have been a reasonable fit for Covid-19.

(No, I don’t have a link. I was told that by a friend in the regiment.)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Surrey said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indians (and Jews) are the black sheep of the BAME community because we're successful. Asians especially disprove the notion that skin colour is a major contributory factor in personal failure and this is a huge blow to the lefty narrative of grievance among lefty BAME activists out destroying monuments at the moment.

People use the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures and there are very few Asians who will agree with that stance.

The next step is the left minimising racial discrimination and attacks that Asians have faced ever since we arrived in the UK, attacks and discrimination that Priti Patel describes well and that all of us recognise. It is to minimise the fact that millions of Indians were put into indentured servitude after the banning of slavery. It is to minimise the hardships of Indians due to the decisions made by the East India Company.

Asians are an inconvenient truth that the left can't stand and many of them wish we didn't exist as it disrupts their narrative. As I said yesterday, I'm much more likely to change the racist attitude of a BNP fascist than a lefty liberal who loathes my very existence because I don't subscribe to their culture of blame and grievance.
    This is completely nonsensical. Look at the US in the early 60s. There was far less discrimination against, e.g., Jews or Italians than there had been in the early 20th century, but that didn't mean there was no racism remaining against other races. Would you then have argued that black people complaining about Jim Crow laws were "using the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures"?

As a Jew (on my father's side), the idea that I face the same level of discrimination as a black person in modern Britain is utterly laughable. I can't imagine how self-centred I'd have to persuade myself otherwise on the basis of past persecutions.
    I was talking about the UK firstly, and specifically to skin colour I was speaking about Asians. Obviously Jews are not discriminated against because of their skin colour, though discrimination against Jews definitely exists and is as insidious as other forms of racism.
    I know you were talking about the UK (and the modern day, not the 1960s). My point though is that the reduction of racism against one race does not indicate that racism against another race has reduced in the same way. The US is an example of that in action.
    And yet I've been told countless times by lefty activists about how I should feel about a situation, white lefty liberals telling me that I'm not a "good minority person" or that I'm "a traitor to other minorities" and my personal favourite "people calling you the p-word is nowhere near as bad as people calling a black person the n-word". The last one has been said on three or four separate occasions by different people.

I've experienced racism from many types of people but those who purport to be anti-racists are the worst racists IMO. Tbh, I've got quite a few Jewish friends who agree.
    I'm sorry you've experienced that, and I can only say that it doesn't match up to my own experience moving in lefty circles. But none of that justifies or excuses you minimising the discrimination against other races.
    How often have you disagreed with the groupthink? That's usually when those sorts of comments come out (and after a lot of wine).

I'm also not minimie colour of my skin, I pity them.
    Don't get your comment about "could never see it happening elsewhere".

America just had a BAME president for 8 years.
    Ireland had a BAME Taesoich too.
    Quite a heroic misspelling of Taoiseach
    It annoys the crap out of me when single words from an indigenous language are dropped for posturing effect only into the actual language that's being used. When one is speaking Irish Leo Varadkar is of course the Taoiseach. In English he's the prime minister. It's about time the Irish state recognised that the attempt to make Irish the first language failed.
    One can forgive the Irish for a little sentimental attachment to Irish Gaelic, given the way it has been destroyed by the English tongue: by law, by conquest, and by the sheer bad luck of being born right next to the world's most successful language.

Ditto Scots Gaelic.

All this just makes the achievement of the Welsh more incredible. I heard a few people talking Welsh in very Anglicized Penarth. Amazing, really
    That's nothing, I've even heard Gaelic spoken in very Anglicized Portree. Only the once mind.
    I've also heard Scots Gaelic in a bar in Skye, and also on a Calmac ferry to Harris. It is very moving to hear tiny languages still being spoken (I mean that sincerely, not patronisingly to Scots speakers). Linguistic diversity is generally a good thing (tho a lingua franca like English is also hugely useful, esp if it is your native tongue)

But my point remains, what an amazing achievement by the Welsh to keep their tongue properly alive, not a museum piece like Gaelic in Ireland or Scotland

The achievement of the Jews in completely reviving the entirely dead Hebrew tongue is even more estimable. Apparently the Irish meant to do the same, but they failed. Mazel tov, Israel
    One of my more shameful moments as a cocky youth was sneeringly refusing my dad's offer to pay for Gaelic lessons (he spoke it pretty well himself). One thing among many that I find incomprehensible in the fruitier end of Scottish Unionism is their enragement at the pretty feeble help that the Scottish government gives to the preservation of Gaelic.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    Scott_xP said:
    Boris is literally causing Tory MPs death?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Andrew Neil has a bit of an interview with one of the Minneapolis city council members who are disbanding the police.

Listen to her answer when CNN ask what people should so if someone breaks into their home and there are no police to call.

That, apparently is a question that doesn't really need an answer, because it is a question that comes from a person's white privilege.

https://world.wng.org/2018/03/camden_s_new_day
    From that interview, no reform is being planned. There simply won;t be any forces of law and order.

Simply to ask what the arrangements will be stems from white privilege. Sit there and take your murder, rape and looting and we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

And now we can see what assigning 'white privilege' is in the minds of some.

Here's the plan

Once they have abolished the police, things will change, naturally.

If you get raped and call 911 they will send a psychotherapist. If you get robbed they will send a "social worker with defensive armour"

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1270014037892440064?s=20
    Surely no one is taking that seriously. Sounds like a thief or rapists charter to me.
    Its meant to be. There are clearly people who will not be happy until ethnic minorities are allowed to do to white people what they believe whites did to blacks in the 19th century.
    All in the context of a society absolutely awash with firearms, many of them of military grade.

What could possibly go wrong?
    too awful to contemplate. But if I was an American in Minneapolis, I'd be thanking my lucky stars I had the second amendment right now.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    algarkirk said:

Wilberforce House, Hull, which Philip Larkin describes as "the slave museum" in his poem 'Here' is a good start.
    Superb poem. Really captures the essence of Hull: ‘surprise of a large town’, ‘streets where only salesmen and relations come’.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited June 2020

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Andrew Neil has a bit of an interview with one of the Minneapolis city council members who are disbanding the police.

Listen to her answer when CNN ask what people should so if someone breaks into their home and there are no police to call.

That, apparently is a question that doesn't really need an answer, because it is a question that comes from a person's white privilege.

From that interview, no reform is being planned. There simply won;t be any forces of law and order.

Simply to ask what the arrangements will be stems from white privilege. Sit there and take your murder, rape and looting and we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

Here's the plan

If you get raped and call 911 they will send a psychotherapist. If you get robbed they will send a "social worker with defensive armour"

Surely no one is taking that seriously. Sounds like a thief or rapists charter to me.
    Its so clearly fake news, it is pathetic an informed site like this has posters propagating it.

The plan is actually a move to UK style policing by consent instead of military style policing a war zone with the force backed by dodgy unions.

So backing UK policing and bashing corrupt unions, surely bang in line with the UK right? Why is the police union the only one the right turn a blind eye to?

For those who really want to understand, rather than pretend and recycle fake news here is an article from a source on the ground:

https://time.com/5848705/disband-and-replace-minneapolis-police/

Thanks for the link. It may all be for naught anyway, since the council doesn't have the power to disband the department anyway.

https://www.fox9.com/news/defunding-the-minneapolis-police-department-would-likely-require-public-vote-to-change-charter
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

alterego said:

Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I think that in all likelihood, Indian voters are in the position of Jewish voters, about thirty years ago. Once quite strongly Labour, but now switching allegiance.

I'm to be convinced - I'm sure a lot of wealthier Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis vote Conservative but I live in Newham which is probably closing on 50% Asian or Asian British and the Conservatives are miles behind Labour.

Indeed, all 60 Newham Borough Councillors are Labour and our new female Mayor is of Pakistani descent.
    I think Indian generally means Hindu or Sikh in this context.

Certainly in Leicester there is a substantial Indian Tory vote, but much less so in the Muslim community, including the significant Gujerati Muslim community.
    Some data. The Muslim Labour vote sticks out a mile among the figures. see p 8 of this:

http://www.brin.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/No-56-May-2020.pdf

Jeremy Corbyn was enormously popular among Muslim voters.
    Really!! I wonder why.

I think that most Muslim voters feel very strongly about events in the Middle East, especially the Israel/Palestine issue, and see Corbyn as being on their side on these matters. Then, there's the issue of Islamist terrorism. A very large majority of Muslim voters reject the terrorists, but still feel they are being picked on and stigmatised by the authorities. Again, Corbyn has long been a critic of the security forces.

Corbyn was also of course very emphatically on the side of the terrorists.

Even if he was, in his own words, present but not involved.
  • Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    eadric said:
    Tim ought to turn his computer and smartphone off and go for a walk:

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1270075869772394497

• Options
    CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well, he was busy spreading the disease, but none seem to have died yet. Whether the new Commons arrangements change that remains to be seen.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Don't we have a crossfit affiliate owner on here...after covid and now the CEO of Crossfit making Gerald Ratner look like a PR wizard, I imagine must be a shit time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

Its so clearly fake news, it is pathetic an informed site like this has posters propagating it.

The plan is actually a move to UK style policing by consent instead of military style policing a war zone with the force backed by dodgy unions.

So backing UK policing and bashing corrupt unions, surely bang in line with the UK right? Why is the police union the only one the right turn a blind eye to?

For those who really want to understand, rather than pretend and recycle fake news here is an article from a source on the ground:

No. There are hardcore elements of BLM that want exactly this. Of course it won't happen but it gives a flavour of the lunacy
    Lunacy is giving the police $7bn of military gear and being surprised when they get a bit trigger happy. Lunacy is having the worlds biggest prison population in the worlds richest country. Lunacy is repeating what has failed and thinking its going to work.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

Which is a nonsense when you compare the outlook now with the outlook at the new year. Sell, while you can.
    I think the recovery may be explicable due to huge amounts of fiscal stimulus being applied by governments and central banks. My knowledge of this sort of thing is limited, but I lifted this explanation of the effects of QE from the Bank of England website:

Large-scale purchases of government bonds lower the interest rates or ‘yields’ on those bonds. This pushes down on the interest rates offered on loans (eg mortgages or business loans) because rates on government bonds tend to affect other interest rates in the economy.

So QE works by making it cheaper for households and businesses to borrow money – encouraging spending.

In addition, QE can stimulate the economy by boosting a wide range of financial asset prices.

Suppose we buy £1 million of government bonds from a pension fund. In place of the bonds, the pension fund now has £1 million in money. Rather than hold on to this money, it might invest it in financial assets, such as shares, that give it a higher return. And when demand for financial assets is high, with more people wanting to buy them, the value of these assets increases. This makes businesses and households holding shares wealthier – making them more likely to spend more, boosting economic activity.

More generally, pump vast sums of money into an economy and it has to go somewhere - e.g. into assets like shares. Ally that to the expectation that at some point the crisis will abate and trading conditions for surviving businesses will improve again and you can understand why a lot of traded stocks might now be recovering from the levels to which they were panic sold earlier in the year. One might not want to re-invest in airlines right now; a chemical company, for example, might be a different matter.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Nigelb said:

From that interview, no reform is being planned. There simply won;t be any forces of law and order in Minneapolis.

Simply to ask what the arrangements after the police are gone stems from white privilege. Sit there and take your murder, rape and looting and we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

Come come.

Do you really believe there will be no police force in Minneapolis?

A number of times in the last fifty years, whole units of Police in the UK, have been disbanded. That didn't mean there stopped being police, it meant that there were new names, new people at the top, and often significant changes in the composition of the rank and file.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Sean_F said:

Newham is a poor borough. The population is far more Pakistani or Bangladeshi, than Indian. And, voters of Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent vote overwhelmingly Labour.

Indian voters who came to this country tended to be from professional/managerial backgrounds, whereas voters from Pakistan and Bangladesh were much more likely to be working class. Added to that, religion. Muslim voters are hugely supportive of Labour, Hindus and Sikhs rather more diverse in their politics.

So, Newham is massively Labour. Harrow East, a minority white constituency, now has a very solid Conservative majority.

Simply wrong.

15% of Newham's population is Indian, many of them Tamils from South India and Sri Lanka. 12.5% is Bangladeshi and 10.5% is Pakistani.

There are therefore many poor Indians who have ended up in my part of the world. It's also a generalisation to say Indians "tend to be from professional/managerial backgrounds". Most, I would argue, aren't in Newham. Many are from poor backgrounds in south India.

We also have 11% African - many from Nigeria and Ghana but a growing number from places like Angola, Mozambique and Equatorial Guinea who can enter as Portuguese passport holders.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,444
    That's about their failure to agree an updated plaque, a far better solution than tearing it down.
  • Options
    Yorkshire Tea, the latest recruit to the Great Replacement conspiracy. Mark my words, it's Mr Kipling next.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1270089447816732673?s=20

• Options
    RobD said:

The debate wasn't getting anywhere so we'll just take the law into our own hands and pull it down regardless?
    There's something very patronising about that thread too, particularly tweet 13.

I'm glad she's not my lecturer.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Which is a nonsense when you compare the outlook now with the outlook at the new year. Sell, while you can.
    I think the recovery may be explicable due to huge amounts of fiscal stimulus being applied by governments and central banks. My knowledge of this sort of thing is limited, but I lifted this explanation of the effects of QE from the Bank of England website:

Large-scale purchases of government bonds lower the interest rates or ‘yields’ on those bonds. This pushes down on the interest rates offered on loans (eg mortgages or business loans) because rates on government bonds tend to affect other interest rates in the economy.

So QE works by making it cheaper for households and businesses to borrow money – encouraging spending.

In addition, QE can stimulate the economy by boosting a wide range of financial asset prices.

Suppose we buy £1 million of government bonds from a pension fund. In place of the bonds, the pension fund now has £1 million in money. Rather than hold on to this money, it might invest it in financial assets, such as shares, that give it a higher return. And when demand for financial assets is high, with more people wanting to buy them, the value of these assets increases. This makes businesses and households holding shares wealthier – making them more likely to spend more, boosting economic activity.

More generally, pump vast sums of money into an economy and it has to go somewhere - e.g. into assets like shares. Ally that to the expectation that at some point the crisis will abate and trading conditions for surviving businesses will improve again and you can understand why a lot of traded stocks might now be recovering from the levels to which they were panic sold earlier in the year. One might not want to re-invest in airlines right now; a chemical company, for example, might be a different matter.
    The problem with QE is that it increases inequality.

Well off people borrow money at rock bottom rates, and invest it in assets earning them a little more, and live off the "spread".
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

No. There are hardcore elements of BLM that want exactly this. Of course it won't happen but it gives a flavour of the lunacy
    Lunacy is giving the police $7bn of military gear and being surprised when they get a bit trigger happy. Lunacy is having the worlds biggest prison population in the worlds richest country. Lunacy is repeating what has failed and thinking its going to work.
    Maybe, but you're wrong here, and I am right. Again.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

No you posted a completely made up image from an account of someone who describes themself as a "theocratic fascist", with the aim of dividing people. It is pathetic and needs to be called out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

The problem with QE is that it increases inequality.

Well off people borrow money at rock bottom rates, and invest it in assets earning them a little more, and live off the "spread".
    It is the biggest driver in the growing gap between old and young. Work no longer pays enough to keep up with asset inflation.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

Yorkshire Tea, the latest recruit to the Great Replacement conspiracy. Mark my words, it's Mr Kipling next.

Dangerous territory for Yorkshire Tea. Seriously. They should be very, very careful. If they get painted as a woke company that supports defacing Churchill statues: disaster

Twitter is a fucking minefield, for everyone

Memo to companies: just avoid politics on social media
    A one word tweet has just torpedoed Crossfit.
  • Options
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

From that interview, no reform is being planned. There simply won;t be any forces of law and order in Minneapolis.

Simply to ask what the arrangements after the police are gone stems from white privilege. Sit there and take your murder, rape and looting and we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

Come come.

A number of times in the last fifty years, whole units of Police in the UK, have been disbanded. That didn't mean there stopped being police, it meant that there were new names, new people at the top, and often significant changes in the composition of the rank and file.
    You actually live in America, and you also don't understand the scale of this madness. Some of them mean literally what they say: give the job of policing to other agencies "better equipped" - social workers, psychotherapists, etc

This is a classic phenomenon during these social convulsions. Utopian dreaming. The Putney Debates considered communism. In the late 70s there was a serious movement to legalise pedophilia
    Of course, the impact would be increased segregation, as rich whites would retreat into gated, patrolled communities.

Oh, and massive rise in gun ownership.
  • Options
    We had a lawyer friend over for an afternoon, outside, socially distanced lunch.

He told us the story of an African American friend of his - who he had sat next to in Harvard Law school - who had been arrested by the police. The police claimed he was a known Islamic terrorist, and under terror legislation, refused to allow him access to a lawyer.

It was only because the Prosecutor personally knew him when it got to court - and said to the Judge "You honor, I know the defendent, I was at college with him, and the defendent is not xxx", that the case got thrown out. He was put in prison, denied a lawyer, and his wife and children could not see him, because he was apparently someone else.

It was an utterly chilling story.

I don't want to get rid of the police. But I also suspect that had this man not been African American, he would have gotten access to a lawyer, and wouldn't have spent months behind bars.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

Like the notorious West Midlands Serious Crimes Squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_Serious_Crime_Squad

• Options
    eadric said:

Dangerous territory for Yorkshire Tea. Seriously. They should be very, very careful. If they get painted as a woke company that supports defacing Churchill statues: disaster

I haven't touched Gillette products since their hectoring anti-man ads.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    eadric said:

PG Tips has joined the fray!

https://twitter.com/PGtips/status/1270091162972495874?s=20
  • Options
    Its a good job there are much bigger stories at the moment, as even Airmiles Andy might be sweating.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1270090310887112706?s=20
  • Options
    On the police issue, I had a police lady knock on my door, around 7;15. Only half an hour earlier, my next door neighbour had been burgled... in pure daylight (I didn't see anything). They smashed their patio door/

I trust the police, and they were here quickly. but that could have so easily been me.

If this was the US. I'd be thinking about getting a gun right about now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

We had a lawyer friend over for an afternoon, outside, socially distanced lunch.

He told us the story of an African American friend of his - who he had sat next to in Harvard Law school - who had been arrested by the police. The police claimed he was a known Islamic terrorist, and under terror legislation, refused to allow him access to a lawyer.

It was only because the Prosecutor personally knew him when it got to court - and said to the Judge "You honor, I know the defendent, I was at college with him, and the defendent is not xxx", that the case got thrown out. He was put in prison, denied a lawyer, and his wife and children could not see him, because he was apparently someone else.

I don't want to get rid of the police. But I also suspect that had this man not been African American, he would have gotten access to a lawyer, and wouldn't have spent months behind bars.

Replacing the RUC with PNSI seems to have been a great success. We should be championing US police reform given that change, and the example of the Met here, who can both react with lethal quick deadly force when required and police with consent the majority of the time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Why?

I don't believe this second wave.
  • Options

On the police issue, I had a police lady knock on my door, around 7;15. Only half an hour earlier, my next door neighbour had been burgled... in pure daylight (I didn't see anything). They smashed their patio door/

I trust the police, and they were here quickly. but that could have so easily been me.

What, in case the polis came round tooled up?
  • Options

Given that the burgler broke in around tea time, when people were in the house, you would have to wonder if why that wouldn't make someone a little nervous.

Not a particularly for this country, but in the US, where they may well be armed too?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited June 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

Of course he knows that, he is deliberately peddling sensationalist crap to stir up the thickos exactly as Trump will try to do.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The documentary "13th" on Netflix is a real eye-opener for the racialisation of American penal industry.

https://youtu.be/K6IXQbXPO3I
  • Options
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

You actually live in America, and you also don't understand the scale of this madness. Some of them mean literally what they say: give the job of policing to other agencies "better equipped" - social workers, psychotherapists, etc

This is a classic phenomenon during these social convulsions. Utopian dreaming. The Putney Debates considered communism. In the late 70s there was a serious movement to legalise pedophilia
    With all due respect @eadric, you don't get the extent to which most Americans fear their police.

I live in prosperous, white Los Angeles.

Most of them have had - at some point - a bad experience with the police.

Now, there are some people in the UK who have been accused of crimes, perhaps wrongly. But almost everyone I know in the UK *generally* has good experiences with the police. That's not true of the US.

In any case, there's a bit of a jurisdictional thing here. There will be a Minneapolis Sheriff's Department that will be different from the the Minneapolis Police Department. Eliminating one (and really, we're not talking about throwing 1,000 people onto the street, we're talking about transferring most of them to a new organisation) is not the same as getting rid of all policing in Minneapolis.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I presume he sued? Not getting access to a lawyer is a serious breach of his rights.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

No you posted a completely made up image from an account of someone who describes themself as a "theocratic fascist", with the aim of dividing people. It is pathetic and needs to be called out.
    You think these people will be happy with a bit of bureaucratic reform of the police?

https://twitter.com/GreggJarrett/status/1269981136555515914?s=20
    No and they shouldnt be. The police shouldnt be armed better than most armies in the world. They shouldnt throw people in jail for months when they have the wrong man and deny them access to a lawyer. They shouldnt be unsackable because of dodgy unions. They shouldnt be in the pay of cartels and drug lords. They shouldnt be institutionally racist.

They need massive, significant reform. That doesnt mean there wont be police with guns to deal with violent crime - but when needed, not for a dodgy $20.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited June 2020

Attitudes depend hugely on personal experience. When I was in Broxtowe, the police broke down the door of a harmless resident, then apologised and said they'd got the right house number but the wrong road. They took 3 months to get round to fixing the door. Generally people found them reasonable, though - neither heroes nor villains.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Who is Tim Walker, and why are his tweets important?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

Nigelb said:
    Do my eyes deceive me or does that suggest they began loosening their measures when the hospitalisation numbers were still going up?
    Well, possibly.
    We must also bear in mind that the figures may well include (as in SoCal), a large number of US citizens coming back from Mexico for hospital treatment.

It would be very interesting to look at the regional breakdown of the figures within Texas.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    RobD said:

The debate wasn't getting anywhere so we'll just take the law into our own hands and pull it down regardless?
    Of course Bureacratic and political inertia can only be moved that way!
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I presume he sued? Not getting access to a lawyer is a serious breach of his rights.
    Ironically the right have given up our rights as the police will hide behind terrorism.
  • Options

I'm more worried about Uncle Ben.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

You think these people will be happy with a bit of bureaucratic reform of the police?

No and they shouldnt be. The police shouldnt be armed better than most armies in the world. They shouldnt throw people in jail for months when they have the wrong man and deny them access to a lawyer. They shouldnt be unsackable because of dodgy unions. They shouldnt be in the pay of cartels and drug lords. They shouldnt be institutionally racist.

They need massive, significant reform. That doesnt mean there wont be police with guns to deal with violent crime - but when needed, not for a dodgy $20.
    Actually if the Minneapolis Councillors get their way that is exactly what it will mean. Nom police. Just lots of people with lots of guns and no authority. It will certainly be an interesting experiment. If there is any justice then the first people the criminals will target will be the Minneapolis councillors.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:
    He was asking about constitutional means to bring down the government. Clearly he hasn't heard of elections.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indians (and Jews) are the black sheep of the BAME community because we're successful. Asians especially disprove the notion that skin colour is a major contributory factor in personal failure and this is a huge blow to the lefty narrative of grievance among lefty BAME activists out destroying monuments at the moment.

People use the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures and there are very few Asians who will agree with that stance.

The next step is the left minimising racial discrimination and attacks that Asians have faced ever since we arrived in the UK, attacks and discrimination that Priti Patel describes well and that all of us recognise. It is to minimise the fact that millions of Indians were put into indentured servitude after the banning of slavery. It is to minimise the hardships of Indians due to the decisions made by the East India Company.

Asians are an inconvenient truth that the left can't stand and many of them wish we didn't exist as it disrupts their narrative. As I said yesterday, I'm much more likely to change the racist attitude of a BNP fascist than a lefty liberal who loathes my very existence because I don't subscribe to their culture of blame and grievance.
    This is completely nonsensical. Look at the US in the early 60s. There was far less discrimination against, e.g., Jews or Italians than there had been in the early 20th century, but that didn't mean there was no racism remaining against other races. Would you then have argued that black people complaining about Jim Crow laws were "using the colour of their skin as a defence mechanism for personal failures"?

As a Jew (on my father's side), the idea that I face the same level of discrimination as a black person in modern Britain is utterly laughable. I can't imagine how self-centred I'd have to persuade myself otherwise on the basis of past persecutions.
    I was talking about the UK firstly, and specifically to skin colour I was speaking about Asians. Obviously Jews are not discriminated against because of their skin colour, though discrimination against Jews definitely exists and is as insidious as other forms of racism.
    I know you were talking about the UK (and the modern day, not the 1960s). My point though is that the reduction of racism against one race does not indicate that racism against another race has reduced in the same way. The US is an example of that in action.
    And yet I've been told countless times by lefty activists about how I should feel about a situation, white lefty liberals telling me that I'm not a "good minority person" or that I'm "a traitor to other minorities" and my personal favourite "people calling you the p-word is nowhere near as bad as people calling a black person the n-word". The last one has been said on three or four separate occasions by different people.

I've experienced racism from many types of people but those who purport to be anti-racists are the worst racists IMO. Tbh, I've got quite a few Jewish friends who agree.
    I'm sorry you've experienced that, and I can only say that it doesn't match up to my own experience moving in lefty circles. But none of that justifies or excuses you minimising the discrimination against other races.
    How often have you disagreed with the groupthink? That's usually when those sorts of comments come out (and after a lot of wine).

I'm also not minimising the discrimination faced by other races, nor would I wish to. What I'm saying is that skin colour is not a bar to success in the UK. There are millions of Asian and Black people in this country who have proved it isn't. I have a lot of time for anyone has suffered from racial discrimination and I've helped many of my friends who are not white with discrimination issues with advice on how best to handle it.

I also have a lot of sympathy for the original intent of the protestors at the moment, the police in the UK are racist towards black people. When I walk down the street and see a black person it just is what it is, for some police when they see a black person they see a potential criminal. Until that attitude is changed the police will always have a problem with racism.

What I have no time for is people wallowing in perpetual victim status. We live in a country where the chancellor and home secretary are BAME and the Mayor of London is BAME that's something to be proud of. As I said yesterday, we've reached a situation where the previous BAME chancellor was replaced with another BAME chancellor. I'm very proud to live in a country where that is possible, I could never see it happen in the US or anywhere in Europe. Not being white is my source of strength, the adversity I faced as a younger person has shaped who I am today, those experiences have made me a more successful person, I don't resent people who hate me for the colour of my skin, I pity them.
    Don't get your comment about "could never see it happening elsewhere".

America just had a BAME president for 8 years.
    And they replaced him with President dickhead. We went from Javid to Sunak. When America is able to have two minority people hold high national office consecutively call me back.
    They went from a black President to an orange one. How many nations can say that?
  • Options
    eadric said:

I do wonder what it would take for me to not purchase a type of food because of non-food political views expressed by its PR arms of chairpersons etc. I feel like in america I wouldn't feel guilty about eating at Chick-Fil-A
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:
    He was asking about constitutional means to bring down the government. Clearly he hasn't heard of elections.
    Actually I think he knows only too much about how elections and referenda have turned out for him...
  • Options

I used to live in a hospital house next door to a residential rehab facility for drug addicts*. I was on nights, so was fast asleep and unshaven in a scruffy old band t shirt when the police knocked on my door. They asked if it was my car outside, and I said yes.

I was told that I had been seen by an off duty cop the day before stealing petrol, and that I needed to come to the station. I asked if I would be long, as I was on shift again later. The reverse ferret by the cop was something to see. From aggression and certainty to "clearly a case of mistaken identity, my apologies doctor"

The thing is, that if I was just Joe Bloggs next door, I would have had a criminal record in no time. That's how close the margins are, when you haven't got class privilege.

*actually they were fine as neighbours, apart from a few noisy parties.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The woke radicalisation started when Robertson's got rid of the gollywog. A sad day for the proudly British high tea.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I think it has a certain irresistible charm that when culture war hinally breaks out in Britain, it's about which tea we drink. It makes me proud to be British. :)
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

Actually if the Minneapolis Councillors get their way that is exactly what it will mean. Nom police. Just lots of people with lots of guns and no authority. It will certainly be an interesting experiment. If there is any justice then the first people the criminals will target will be the Minneapolis councillors.
    That just isnt true. The councillors are quite clear there will be a new police. The new police wont have to deal with things like mental health or traffic violations, but very much will deal with violent crime.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    Still not checking temperatures on arrival?!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/08/first-arrivals-under-uk-quarantine-rules-coronavirus

"At Heathrow airport there was some confusion, however, as the first passengers subject to the new restrictions landed. Travellers were asked to fill in the online forms but evidence to prove the information was correct was not required.

Some passengers were surprised by the lack of physical screening for the virus. Fiona Gathright, 59, travelled from Washington DC and will be living in Bristol with her fiance, who had flown in from Hong Kong.

“They didn’t even do a temperature check at either end, not in Washington before we got on the flight and not in London when we got off the flight,” she said. “Somebody could have been on the flight with a 100-plus temperature and gotten off and gone on their merry way.”"
  • Options

eadric said:

I think it has a certain irresistible charm that when culture war hinally breaks out in Britain, it's about which tea we drink. It makes me proud to be British. :)
    Cheapest own brand stuff for me, thanks.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

I think we can be reasonably sure he’s not on Yorkshire Tea this evening.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

I think we can be reasonably sure he’s not on Yorkshire Tea this evening.
    Mrs Foxy insists on Yorkshire Gold.

Too used to the high life...
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:
    I admire him being willing to admit to ignorance of pretty basic elements of governance like that, it's rare to admit weakness like that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

It's relative innit? You can't prescribe in the abstract how many police should be armed and what with, you have to ask what the crims are packing.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I think that in all likelihood, Indian voters are in the position of Jewish voters, about thirty years ago. Once quite strongly Labour, but now switching allegiance.

I'm to be convinced - I'm sure a lot of wealthier Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis vote Conservative but I live in Newham which is probably closing on 50% Asian or Asian British and the Conservatives are miles behind Labour.

Indeed, all 60 Newham Borough Councillors are Labour and our new female Mayor is of Pakistani descent.
    Newham is a poor borough. The population is far more Pakistani or Bangladeshi, than Indian. And, voters of Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent vote overwhelmingly Labour.

Indian voters who came to this country tended to be from professional/managerial backgrounds, whereas voters from Pakistan and Bangladesh were much more likely to be working class. Added to that, religion. Muslim voters are hugely supportive of Labour, Hindus and Sikhs rather more diverse in their politics.

So, Newham is massively Labour. Harrow East, a minority white constituency, now has a very solid Conservative majority.
    I agree about Hindus, and the Tories have made significant progress in that community when they made the effort - Anna Soubry won them over big time in Broxtowe after becoming MP by frequently visiting the temple, supporting them against local racists, and other good things. Most older Muslims and Sikhs are still Labour in my experience. With young people it's anyone's guess anyway (which is, really,. as it should be).
    Does anybody have stats for Chinese-Britons? Could be important if lots of Hong Kongers take up Boris's offer.
    There's an active Chinese for Labour group - not sure if the Tories have one. In my experience, most ethnic Chinese voters don't vote.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I agree about Hindus, and the Tories have made significant progress in that community when they made the effort - Anna Soubry won them over big time in Broxtowe after becoming MP by frequently visiting the temple, supporting them against local racists, and other good things. Most older Muslims and Sikhs are still Labour in my experience. With young people it's anyone's guess anyway (which is, really,. as it should be).
    Does anybody have stats for Chinese-Britons? Could be important if lots of Hong Kongers take up Boris's offer.
    There's an active Chinese for Labour group - not sure if the Tories have one. In my experience, most ethnic Chinese voters don't vote.
    There is a Conservative Friends of the Chinese Group according to wiki, launched by one Boris Johnson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Friends_of_the_Chinese
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think that most Muslim voters feel very strongly about events in the Middle East, especially the Israel/Palestine issue, and see Corbyn as being on their side on these matters. Then, there's the issue of Islamist terrorism. A very large majority of Muslim voters reject the terrorists, but still feel they are being picked on and stigmatised by the authorities. Again, Corbyn has long been a critic of the security forces.

I think the second factor is stronger. At least in the Nottingham area, Muslims are mostly of Pakistani extraction and are sometimes interested in Kashmir, but indifferent to Middle Easr ructions. They do however feel that Labour is sympathetic and the Tories are not.

One can overdo the foreign policy stuff. When India and Pakistan actually went to war, the leaders of the respective Nottingham communities agreed that there wasn't any point in getting involved in a war which was after all several thousand miles away, and there was no intercommunal conflict whatsoever.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

It's relative innit? You can't prescribe in the abstract how many police should be armed and what with, you have to ask what the crims are packing.
    Their plan is based on looking at 911 and police logs of the incidents they actually face day to day, and identifying and re-assigning the ones that dont need military style attendance. Along with stopping the dodgy union protections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

With all due respect @eadric, you don't get the extent to which most Americans fear their police.

Now, there are some people in the UK who have been accused of crimes, perhaps wrongly. But almost everyone I know in the UK *generally* has good experiences with the police. That's not true of the US.

In any case, there's a bit of a jurisdictional thing here. There will be a Minneapolis Sheriff's Department that will be different from the the Minneapolis Police Department. Eliminating one (and really, we're not talking about throwing 1,000 people onto the street, we're talking about transferring most of them to a new organisation) is not the same as getting rid of all policing in Minneapolis.
    If that's true then why are we all having to suffer these crazed protests?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Watching Priti Patel bitchslap Zarah Sultana was impressive.

It was also very funny.

She can turn on the style when she wants, can’t she?

The demand for a “yes or no” answer was extraordinary.

It’s pathetic when wannabe journalists looking for a gotcha moment try it. It’s beyond belief that an MP with the opportunity to ask a question of the responsible minister should be so trite
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Having listened a bit more to the arguments today, putting similar statues in local museums where context can be given seems like a very good middle ground.
    Quite. But sadly it having happened the way it has will increase the numbers who are bloody minded about not even moving them, and those who thing its ok it happened this way because of the target will not like that moving also takes time and effort. But the numbers are not as bad as they could be there.
    True, but had it happened as a local event in Bristol, the country would know less about the horrors of slavery than they do today. I didnt know the slaves were branded with the initials of the Royal African Company for instance.
    Are you sure it wasn’t AA (for African American, obviously)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

IanB2 said:

Why?

I don't believe this second wave.
    The economic damage doesn’t require a second wave, although if there is one it will be case closed.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Here's the plan

Their plan is based on looking at 911 and police logs of the incidents they actually face day to day, and identifying and re-assigning the ones that dont need military style attendance. Along with stopping the dodgy union protections.
    That sounds very sensible to me.

I detest all the Marxist culture war shit. But I do agree the US police need reform.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

There is a Conservative Friends of the Chinese Group according to wiki, launched by one Boris Johnson.

I'd have thought BBCs and Hong Kong Chinese would dress Conservative.

Very close values match.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

Maybe because there are 11 states where 1 in 20 adult African American males are in prison? Not counting the many that are either killed by the police or in the prison system.

Can you really not see why people are protesting? Its a ridiculous state of affairs.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

It's the same where I live. We have the Georgia State Patrol, the Gwinnett County PD, Gwinnett County Sheriff's department, and for those who live in the city - the city of Suwanee PD.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think, these days, there's far more evidence of those on the Right wanting to move beyond race than those on the Left.
    How do we distinguish "move beyond race" from "do not worry too much about racial equality"?
    A reminder that all five of the Great Offices of state are held by people from ethnic or national minorities. So it probably isn’t the second.
    There are five great offices of state?
    Lord High Chancellor, First & Second Lords of the Treasury, and the two Secretaries of State
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Bonkers. Kids don't get this virus, at least in any meaningful sense, apart from a tiny, tiny percent.

16 kids died of influenza during one of our recent winters (I forget which). Did we shut the schools?

Meanwhile, beer gardens open, hairdressers open, mass protests all over the place etc etc.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Having listened a bit more to the arguments today, putting similar statues in local museums where context can be given seems like a very good middle ground.
    Quite. But sadly it having happened the way it has will increase the numbers who are bloody minded about not even moving them, and those who thing its ok it happened this way because of the target will not like that moving also takes time and effort. But the numbers are not as bad as they could be there.
    True, but had it happened as a local event in Bristol, the country would know less about the horrors of slavery than they do today. I didnt know the slaves were branded with the initials of the Royal African Company for instance.
    Tasteless.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Very close values match.
    I think that all the passport holders will be born prior to 1997, and that status cannot be inherited. Obviously the rules may change, but it will be an older population, perhaps a much older population, that can come.

In reality, I think few will come. There may be further migration to Singapore, Taiwan, Vancouver, Australia and New Zealand rather than here.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Tasteless.
    But funny.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,960

kle4 said:

The woke radicalisation started when Robertson's got rid of the gollywog. A sad day for the proudly British high tea.
    Imperial mints are a symbol of colonialist oppression. Viscount biscuits are reserved for the upper class. Fisherman's Friends appear proletarian, but have a nasty whiff of Brexit about them.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think, these days, there's far more evidence of those on the Right wanting to move beyond race than those on the Left.
    How do we distinguish "move beyond race" from "do not worry too much about racial equality"?
    A reminder that all five of the Great Offices of state are held by people from ethnic or national minorities. So it probably isn’t the second.
    There are five great offices of state?
    Lord High Chancellor, First & Second Lords of the Treasury, and the two Secretaries of State
    I was rather amused by the assertion that being Welsh is a minority attribute :D

As for Boris being Turkish, that was priceless given Leavers' favourite immigration poster
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

Maybe because there are 11 states where 1 in 20 adult African American males are in prison? Not counting the many that are either killed by the police or in the prison system.

Can you really not see why people are protesting? Its a ridiculous state of affairs.
    I mean in the UK.

These seem very particular (and serious) American issues with our police actually far better, although very far from perfect.
  • Options
    slade said:

I am normally quite sympathetic to Ch 4 News but tonight they went over the top. The entire programme was on the theme that British society was racist. Virtually every question to BAME interviewees was is British society racist. Even Bishop Rose of Dover, a black women, was forced into saying it was. A black female bishop of the Church of England?

It was a controversial appointment given +Dover’s unique role
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Very close values match.
    I think that all the passport holders will be born prior to 1997, and that status cannot be inherited. Obviously the rules may change, but it will be an older population, perhaps a much older population, that can come.

In reality, I think few will come. There may be further migration to Singapore, Taiwan, Vancouver, Australia and New Zealand rather than here.
    I think we're going to get some weird Brexit war cultural inversion here where Remainers hope they won't come and Leavers hope they do.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,778
    Newsnight starting on BBC2.
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Very close values match.

I think we're going to get some weird Brexit war cultural inversion here where Remainers hope they won't come and Leavers hope they do.
    I think the polling showed the opposite. 75% of LD supporters wanted them to come, only 52% of BXP. Lab and Con both on 67%,
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Andy_JS said:

Sterling speaks. That's why there was a sports back page embargo until 10:45
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

What happened?
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Very close values match.

The poll showed fewer young people supporting the idea of Hong Kong migrants coming to the UK compared to older people, the opposite of what you might expect.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

Scott_xP said:
    Bonkers. Kids don't get this virus, at least in any meaningful sense, apart from a tiny, tiny percent.

16 kids died of influenza during one of our recent winters (I forget which). Did we shut the schools?

Meanwhile, beer gardens open, hairdressers open, mass protests all over the place etc etc.
    I've just heard from my local council that the planned reopening to reception children (and year 6) tomorrow won't be happening.
    I am gutted for my 5-year old who longs to go back to school. Apart from a couple of garden-dates, she hasn't played with children her own age since March. Children that age need other children that age - they learn through play. My 8 year old and ten year old want to go back too, but they're doing all right at home - they can learn remotely ok, interact with their friends online and, if nothing else, hey have each other. But three months is a long time for a five year old to go without someone of their own age.
    There will be tears tomorrow when I tell her. Hers, and mine. I feel so desperately sorry for her.
    But to be clear, I have it pretty good. I have a job I can do from home. We have a stable family life. We have a garden. She gets bits of education, when I or my wife can fit in in between working for a living and teaching the other two (because the amount of input they're getting from the school rarely raises above 'token'). Others have it much worse. If my daughter is deserving of sympathy - and she is - most five year olds in the country will be serving of more.
    I blame pretty much everyone. Trafford council. The unions, natch. The DfE for their useless and unsupportive guidance for schools that did want to reopen. Whatever d*ck in government that decided that the R rate was the be all and end all. Whatever d*ck in government who decided that pretty much uniquely, the British had to be kept 2m apart. Whatever d*ck in government who decided that the people had to be frightened into submission, such that they now hown down any release of lockdown. Andy Burnham, who never misses an opportunity to make trouble. Shysters, all. Lancashire County Council, while I'm at it - who aren't even my local council, but who have advanced the opinion that children haven't suffered any setbacks by being kept off school for three months - which raises the question, why bother with an education department at all?
    If supermarkets and food shops had taken the approach that education authorities have these last three months, we would have starved.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited June 2020
    There is only so much you can attempt to guilt & belittle people over stuff they have nothing to do with, never mind stuff they do, before they stick two fingers up to you.

It appears some politicians and sections of the media & commentariat have forgotten this but you know what, they never fucking learn and long may it continue.
  • Options
    Was Channel 4 News interesting viewing tonight? I missed it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    edited June 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Tasteless.
    But funny.
    I didn't think it was that funny. I'm not going to have a fit of the vapours over it but it was a dud.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Andy_JS said:

Who is Sterling?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Come come.

Because everyone's been locked up for ages, and there's a punch of pent up frustration.

And a lot of US police forces have been out of control, particularly as regards minorities.

Here's my stat for the day. Since 1870, according to Wikipedia, police forces in Great Britain have killed 220 people. Three of them were in 2019, and one in 2018.

In the US, in 2019, 1,098 people were killed by police. Now, criminals have guns in the US. So, you'd expect a disparity. But 5x as many deaths in 2019 as in the last 150 years in the UK is an insane disparity.
This discussion has been closed.