Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris looks as though he’s survived the Cummings lockdown road

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Apparently Cummings's father in law has a horse called Barrack, because it is "half black and half white." What a card!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Out of interest, do any of the PB Tories believe that the government has handled the pandemic (as opposed to the Cummings affair) well?

The reason I ask is that chatting away with 7 or 8 neighbours in the road after the Thursday clap a couple who I know to be Conservative voters weighed into the corona discussion by opining that they were completely embarrassed at the way the government had handled it. I was surprised at the strength of feeling even though I am clearly no fan of Boris. Nobody disagreed and I am pretty sure we were the only 2 Labour supporters amongst us.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    Breaking news - my application to join the Labour Party has been rejected! *giggles*
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599

Sandpit said:

I have been tasked with doing a politics round for a work quiz tomorrow evening.

Any tidbits of politics trivia (the more scurrilous and low brow the better - people already think I'm going to be sending them to sleep), I would be very grateful if you could throw them my way. Thanks!

Do it on the weirdest political scandals.

What animal was associated with DC and the Oxford dining club dinner?
    What did half a dozen MPs and former MPs end up in jail for in 2012-13?
    Who shopped Chris Huhne for lying to the court about his speeding ticket?
    How much did Bernie Ecclestone give to Tony Blair?
    Who was the MP found dead with an orange in his mouth and wearing women’s stockings?
    Who said “No woman in my lifetime will be prime minister”?
    These are perfect! I'll make some easier (got to know your audience) but fantastic question topics.
    Which was the only year since 1918 without a Westminster election or Westminster by-election?
    Interesting, but way over my head, let alone theirs!
    How many Prime Ministers did we have in the First and Second World Wars combined?
    Which Prime Minister died servicing his maid over the billiard table?
    I'd guess Palmerston.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,727
    The UK has set itself on a collision course with China after broadening its offer on extended visa rights from 350,000 to almost 3m Hong Kong residents.

After Beijing announced plans this week to proceed with the imposition of a national security law on Hong Kong, London retaliated with an “unprecedented” pledge to expand visa rights for British National (Overseas) passport holders in Hong Kong from six to 12 months and “provide a pathway to future citizenship”.

About 350,000 people hold valid BNO passports, a document issued to Hong Kong residents born before the handover of the territory from UK to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

However, the Home Office clarified on Friday that the pledge to extend visa rights would apply to anyone eligible to apply for a BNO passport currently living in Hong Kong, of which there are estimated to be about 2.9m. Most of the additional 2.55m people have held a BNO passport in the past but not renewed it.

https://www.ft.com/content/06e30290-1fcb-44cb-9ed6-5f4b0e7ff565

Good thing too - the government has finally found a spine....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I expect the median voter both accepts the referendum result and thinks the transition period should be extended.

In which case they would have voted Tory last time to deliver Brexit but would vote Labour or LD next time to take us back into the single market
    One of the reasons for the government to not extend the transition is so that being out of the single market has as much time as possible to become the new normal before the next general election.

I find it very unlikely that the electorate will be clamouring for yet more trade-related disruption by voting to rejoin the single market once left.
    Assuming WTO terms with the EU is going great by the next general election, I agree
    What WTO terms - the WTO is dead - and without it there are no terms. the EU can impose any conditions it wants and we will just have to accept them to export there.
    And vice versa. I believe it's called being a country.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,727
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

F1: Williams sound like they might be in trouble. May end up getting sold.

Always assuming they actually amount to a salable entity.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

Sandpit said:

I have been tasked with doing a politics round for a work quiz tomorrow evening.

Any tidbits of politics trivia (the more scurrilous and low brow the better - people already think I'm going to be sending them to sleep), I would be very grateful if you could throw them my way. Thanks!

Do it on the weirdest political scandals.

What animal was associated with DC and the Oxford dining club dinner?
    What did half a dozen MPs and former MPs end up in jail for in 2012-13?
    Who shopped Chris Huhne for lying to the court about his speeding ticket?
    How much did Bernie Ecclestone give to Tony Blair?
    Who was the MP found dead with an orange in his mouth and wearing women’s stockings?
    Who said “No woman in my lifetime will be prime minister”?
    These are perfect! I'll make some easier (got to know your audience) but fantastic question topics.
    Which was the only year since 1918 without a Westminster election or Westminster by-election?
    Interesting, but way over my head, let alone theirs!
    Answer: 1998 :)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I hope nobody here thinks @HYUFD represents the Tory Party or its attitudes to the North. 🤦‍♂️

HYUFD is the personification of the modern Conservative Party.
    He's a dinosaur.