Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the Cummings lockdown saga now in its seventh day some bi

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Cyclefree said:

Mortimer said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

eristdoof said:

Deep thought: People are talking like Kier Starmer not calling for Cummings to resign is a sign of cunning tactical genius, but maybe it means Kier Starmer knows that someone important on the Labour side broke the lockdown.

You are not the first person to suggest this on this forum.
    Let us imagine the alternate history version of this crisis but with Seamus and Corbyn in charge.

morning of the story breaking Corbyn has demanded an emergency session of parliament to demand Dominic Cummings is sacked. We haven't had the Barnard Castle stuff revealed yet. Immediately every Tory MP rallies round the flag. This is a partisan hitjob. Twitter is filled with Right wing talking heads decrying the Labour party. The Barnard Castle stuff then comes out and is dismissed due to slight imperfections in the witnesses recollection of events. This is all over by Monday.

Starmer is following the Napoleonic maxim to perfection. Never interrupt an enemy making a mistake. Corbyn would be all over this like a cheap suit.

Also, Starmer has called for Cummnigs to be sacked - but only have a suitably long amount of time and in a low key way (saying he would have sacked him)
    I think Starmer is handling it pretty well, but in danger of overdoing the restraint. In your alternate hgistory, I disagree. Corbyn would be ignoring Cummings (he virtually never attacks individuals, even the obvious ones) but demanding a special session to examine the impact of easing lockdown on low-paid workers. Cummings would get away with it for that reason, rather than that Corbyn was zeroing in on him.

Not that it matters now!
    Starmer should focus on two things now:-

1. The lockdown easing measures and, in particular, whether they are being applied fairly. Or intelligently. See what I have already said about the absurdity of opening indoor shops before outside venues. Or allowing people to congregate in gardens but not go to a pub with a garden. Plus why the 2-metre advice (it’s not a rule) when most of Europe has it down to 1 metre.

2. Sunak’s plans to stop furlough, particularly the rumoured idea of asking businesses legally prevented from opening to pay 20% of wages and NI when they don’t have any income.
    Completely agree with both points.
    Allowing outside venues for pubs and restaurants and meeting up under strict guidelines would make people far happier with continuing social distancing, and looks to be significantly safer than small indoor shops.
    One sensible step might be a relaxation of licensing laws, that would allow an existing licensee to set up a temporary bar in a nearby park, field or car park, using a van, tent or market stall structure. Anyone who’s walked up the hill from Twickenham station to the stadium on a match day will know what I mean ;)
    My daughter has applied to vary her licence so that she can sell alcohol as an off licence and the authorities insisted that it can only be with food. Why? No good reason given.

It is absurd. The authorities are deliberately making it hard for such businesses to have a fighting chance to survive.

And to answer @Richard_Nabavi’s point: people who drink alcohol in their garden can get just as smashed as easily as in a pub. There is no logical or scientific rationale for allowing people to meet and drink in their gardens and not allowing them to meet and drink in a pub or restaurant garden. None.
    Surely it is the shared toilet facilities that is the problem? The more people you have in one place, the more mixing there is going to be. In a garden you are at least limiting contacts to a single group.

There is definitely a difference.
    Oh - do most people have separate ladies and men’s loos in their homes?
    No. However, many private houses have more than one lav, and even if they dont (like mine, for example) people's toilets are not used by as many people as would be in a shared space like a pub or restaurant.
    There are ways round this. Like hiring a Portaloo.

These just sound like excuses not to help a sector that will otherwise die and which employs a hell of a lot of jobs in areas which don’t have many alternatives.

Let’s not make the perfect the enemy of the good.
    Mortimer is a nice chap, but he is a young fogey that really doesn't get the pub thing. At all.

He criticised me several times for contending that they are the backbone of Britain – core to our national heritage – and argued that they could be replaced by dinner parties.

So, I wouldn't waste your pixels on him on this particular debate.

He may have more to offer on other discussions.
    Misrepresentation m'lud!

I didn't say they can be replaced with dinner parties. I said I wouldn't be going to pubs as much, and am looking forward to having more dinner parties.

Not sure I can deny the young fogey line - but I'd say in a usual time pre-Covid I probably spent nigh on £100/week in pubs - either lunch with the parents and a few rounds, or a working dinner or two whilst away. I'm aware how they work, just think you're being somewhat hyperbolic in suggesting they are the backbone of Britain....
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Just an observation, but when the premier politics site in the UK has a picture of a moth getting more likes than any other comment, the Cummings story might just have run its course...

What is the purpose of Cummings moths? Other than just being ugly nuisances disliked by a lot of people?
    Far bigger pollinators in the great scheme of things than a bee. Get a hard time from those like you - whilst doing all the hard graft in the darkness....
    I thought Cummings's boss was a far bigger pollinator than ...... oh! You mean the moth!!!

Sorry

:D
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:
    This seems an opportune moment to quote myself from the distant reaches of ... last night:

'The Mail polling looks like the nadir of this episode - from now on as we come out of lockdown there will be a correction as the red mist lifts and people see the reality of their lives improving.'

Rage is exhausting, and time brings perspective.
    You think the reality of people's lives is going to start improving? Interesting take.
    I bloody well hope so. You think otherwise?
    A lot of them are going to find themselves on the dole, without generous financial support from the government. Many will find that the cuts in their wages they've already taken start to bite much more when they're commuting back to work.

All of us will find that pre-lockdown life does not return as it was before because shops, restaurants, pubs and cafes are permanently shut.

The Covid-19 holiday at home will be over and there will be bills to pay. The reality of a lot of people's lives is likely to get substantially worse from here on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Scott_xP said:
    This seems an opportune moment to quote myself from the distant reaches of ... last night:

'The Mail polling looks like the nadir of this episode - from now on as we come out of lockdown there will be a correction as the red mist lifts and people see the reality of their lives improving.'

You think the reality of people's lives is going to start improving? Interesting take.
    They're going to be able to go out, meet friends, and have a drink in the sun in the near future.

That IS happiness in Britain.
    We've been doing that for weeks in Devon. "Distance dining" - one couple each end of the table. Scattered tables around the lawn for VE-Day tea and cake.

Lowest Covid-19 in the country. Because we have taken personal responsibility for our lives and acted very sensibly.
  • Options
    Socky said:

If Ofcom start prosecuting journalists for repeating facts in the public domain then we can explain the disappearance of Kim Jong Un - he has dyed his hair blond and moved into Downing St

If the BBC decide to be totally independent I would be happy, then they can push any agenda they want to.

If you get your money via threats of imprisonment, then different standards apply.
    I do not approve of the licence fee. I view it as legalised extortion.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2020
    183 new deaths in England. Last 3 days, 28 / 64 / 24. Bit of backdating in there, but figures don't look that great overall. Looks rather same as last week type plateau.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

A lot of them are going to find themselves on the dole, without generous financial support from the government. Many will find that the cuts in their wages they've already taken start to bite much more when they're commuting back to work.

All of us will find that pre-lockdown life does not return as it was before because shops, restaurants, pubs and cafes are permanently shut.

The Covid-19 holiday at home will be over and there will be bills to pay. The reality of a lot of people's lives is likely to get substantially worse from here on.
    We'll just have to tax London harder.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    OllyT said:

Brom said:

I don't watch Newsnight (how could I watch anything with Lewis Goodall), but I've heard Emily Maitlis has been referred to Ofcom and could be in trouble. Something to do with last night's show.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to link us to the source of these disturbing things you keep hearing about. It makes a world of difference as to whether you have "just heard" it from closely connected to OFCOM or from Guido Fawkes.
    Nothing on Guido about it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Just an observation, but when the premier politics site in the UK has a picture of a moth getting more likes than any other comment, the Cummings story might just have run its course...

Running interference for "Dom" with your moths. No-one is fooled.
    I started with the moths when we went into lockdown. You must at least concede that level of wargaming "running interference" is worthy of Dom himself?
    Are these Tory moths though?. I think we should know.
    You've already read moths are useful and productive - of course they are! ;-P
  • Options

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

London looks set to be the part of the country that suffers most anyway. Which I'm sure pleases you.
  • Options
    Ah I see we're back to believing polls again
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    I see the Brexiteers are sounding like Corbynista complaining about media bias.

Two cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

Likes aren't really a thing on PB.
    Oh I don't know? Boris fanboys seem to vote for each other like they were former Soviet States in a Eurovision Song Contest.
    I wasn't sure if your liking my post was ironic or not! :smile:

But on the Boris fans then yes. It is very curious. Liking him, not supporting each other.

I would have thought that it was transparently obvious that Boris is a self-serving, solipsistic, useless twat.

But it appears that his fans on here are like those aged shoppers in Aldi who think he is a breath of fresh air.

• Options

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Running interference for "Dom" with your moths. No-one is fooled.
    I started with the moths when we went into lockdown. You must at least concede that level of wargaming "running interference" is worthy of Dom himself?
    Are these Tory moths though?. I think we should know.
    You've already read moths are useful and productive - of course they are! ;-P
    Apolitical. They aren't even awake when the polling stations are open!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    OllyT said:

Brom said:

I don't watch Newsnight (how could I watch anything with Lewis Goodall), but I've heard Emily Maitlis has been referred to Ofcom and could be in trouble. Something to do with last night's show.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to link us to the source of these disturbing things you keep hearing about. It makes a world of difference as to whether you have "just heard" it from closely connected to OFCOM or from Guido Fawkes.
    You can see what she said here:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8360695/Emily-Maitlis-states-fact-Dominic-Cummings-broke-rules.html

1. that Cummings broke the rules

2. that Johnson displayed blind loyaLty to him.

She is obv reading an autocue, and the way she is reading suggests they are not her own words - imposs to tell without context.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Andy_JS said:
    Eventually, the bigger story of the Cummings episode is how fucked the BBC are going to be as a result of the way they have played it.

Remember, Beeb: "dig two graves".....
    Indeed. Also Emerson: 'When you strike the king, you must kill him.'

'Cos if you don't...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/BBCWorldatOne/status/1265622444439670785

People previously used excuses such as "but I thought I was an essential worker" and "the rules are too confusing for me"...although the best one being "I thought this beach was in England (when it was in Wales)"....yeah sure you did love...you totally missed the big signs saying "Welcome to Wales" and all of a sudden the road signs being in two languages.
  • Options
    SockySocky Posts: 404

By "relaxation" do you mean "abandonment of restrictions entirely" or do you mean "targeted partial relaxations in some areas while maximising social distancing"?

I am not aware of any country that has returned to normal, and I am not sure that is in the power of the state to do anyway.

However I did expect that relaxation would lead to a visible up-tick in infection rates (and that may be a worthwhile trade-off). The graphs that I have seen however appear to be heading downwards still.

That I find surprising. Do you not?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

London looks set to be the part of the country that suffers most anyway. Which I'm sure pleases you.
    Actually it doesn't, there's no joy in watching any part of the country suffer.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    With 8.4m employed (I use the term loosely) and 2m self-employed people on furlough, what do we think the post-Ascot private party-induced Covid spike will be?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

With 8.4m employed (I use the term loosely) and 2m self-employed people on furlough, what do we think the post-Ascot private party-induced Covid spike will be?

Gotta get that herd immunity somehow.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

eristdoof said:

Deep thought: People are talking like Kier Starmer not calling for Cummings to resign is a sign of cunning tactical genius, but maybe it means Kier Starmer knows that someone important on the Labour side broke the lockdown.

You are not the first person to suggest this on this forum.
    Let us imagine the alternate history version of this crisis but with Seamus and Corbyn in charge.

morning of the story breaking Corbyn has demanded an emergency session of parliament to demand Dominic Cummings is sacked. We haven't had the Barnard Castle stuff revealed yet. Immediately every Tory MP rallies round the flag. This is a partisan hitjob. Twitter is filled with Right wing talking heads decrying the Labour party. The Barnard Castle stuff then comes out and is dismissed due to slight imperfections in the witnesses recollection of events. This is all over by Monday.

Starmer is following the Napoleonic maxim to perfection. Never interrupt an enemy making a mistake. Corbyn would be all over this like a cheap suit.

Also, Starmer has called for Cummnigs to be sacked - but only have a suitably long amount of time and in a low key way (saying he would have sacked him)
    I think Starmer is handling it pretty well, but in danger of overdoing the restraint. In your alternate hgistory, I disagree. Corbyn would be ignoring Cummings (he virtually never attacks individuals, even the obvious ones) but demanding a special session to examine the impact of easing lockdown on low-paid workers. Cummings would get away with it for that reason, rather than that Corbyn was zeroing in on him.

Not that it matters now!
    Starmer should focus on two things now:-

1. The lockdown easing measures and, in particular, whether they are being applied fairly. Or intelligently. See what I have already said about the absurdity of opening indoor shops before outside venues. Or allowing people to congregate in gardens but not go to a pub with a garden. Plus why the 2-metre advice (it’s not a rule) when most of Europe has it down to 1 metre.

2. Sunak’s plans to stop furlough, particularly the rumoured idea of asking businesses legally prevented from opening to pay 20% of wages and NI when they don’t have any income.
    Completely agree with both points.
    Allowing outside venues for pubs and restaurants and meeting up under strict guidelines would make people far happier with continuing social distancing, and looks to be significantly safer than small indoor shops.
    One sensible step might be a relaxation of licensing laws, that would allow an existing licensee to set up a temporary bar in a nearby park, field or car park, using a van, tent or market stall structure. Anyone who’s walked up the hill from Twickenham station to the stadium on a match day will know what I mean ;)
    My daughter has applied to vary her licence so that she can sell alcohol as an off licence and the authorities insisted that it can only be with food. Why? No good reason given.

It is absurd. The authorities are deliberately making it hard for such businesses to have a fighting chance to survive.

And to answer @Richard_Nabavi’s point: people who drink alcohol in their garden can get just as smashed as easily as in a pub. There is no logical or scientific rationale for allowing people to meet and drink in their gardens and not allowing them to meet and drink in a pub or restaurant garden. None.
    Good luck to your daughter, hopefully she can eventually persuade the authorities to hear her case, if it looks like she’ll otherwise miss the summer season. Sadly, the hospitality industry is going to join aviation as the last industry back on its feet.

If we are not going to be allowed to loiter indoors, and it’s looking like a good summer, then surely the least we can do is allow a beer tent to set up in everyone’s local park?
    Does it have to be hot food, make the cheapest possible cold or hot item possible and include it in price of the drinks.
    It’s been a couple of decades since I last did a licensing law exam, and things have definitely changed in the meantime, but IIRC “food” used to mean “a substantial meal”, so a plate of chips doesn’t cut it without the burger.

It’s all bollocks though, they should drop a whole load of licensing laws for the summer and turn parks into beer gardens.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish Care Homes COVID has made the NYT - with Johnson getting the blame.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/world/europe/coronavirus-uk-nursing-homes.html

They seem to be largely blaming the company that runs it on my reading. It sounds hellish for residents and staff.

'Soon after a nationwide lockdown went into effect in March, a new deputy manager arrived from Kent, in southeastern England. HC-One has said she isolated before starting work. But that was before she made the 650-mile journey to the island, the employees and HC-One said. She eventually became sick and stopped working, the company said.
    Feeling unprotected by management, employees cleaned the home obsessively and enforced their own distancing rules. When residents were startled, as they often were, aides held their hands and stroked them. Sometimes employees broke down crying.

“People were petrified,” one of the employees said.

For HC-One, the nursing home business has been lucrative, as the company paid more than 50 million pounds, or nearly $61 million, in dividends from 2017 to 2019.'

'...HC-One warned that its “ability to continue as a going concern” was in jeopardy.
    But nursing home finances are difficult to trace. The HC-One group includes 62 companies, 19 of them registered offshore, and its parent company is based in the Cayman Islands.
    “It’s money before care all the time,” Ms. Harris said. “The staff they did have worked so hard, but they’ve been let down.”'
    Usual Tory tax dodgers maximising profits at expense of people's granny, lies right at Boris's door.
    Oversight of care homes is a devolved matter malc.

Are you making the case for more government interference in the running of honest, upstanding private businesses? Well done!
    Are you making the case that Care Homes are honest upstanding private businesses?
    Yes by and large.
    Probably - but there have been several examples of absentee owners having an atrocious outbreak - Skye and Man spring to mind. In the latter one home accounted for 20 of the islands 24 cases. The Manx government shut it down. The Sandbank resident owners were miffed.
    There are exceptions in any industry but I have to believe that anyone who goes into care does so because they care about it. Like teaching, nursing etc

Regarding absentee owners that can happen in any sector too. So long as they have passionate and good managers that should be fine. It's the managers who matter more most likely than the owners, besides owner/managers.
    This report on the Skye home makes depressing reading:

https://commonweal.scot/policy-library/predictable-crisis
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Socky said:

By "relaxation" do you mean "abandonment of restrictions entirely" or do you mean "targeted partial relaxations in some areas while maximising social distancing"?

I am not aware of any country that has returned to normal, and I am not sure that is in the power of the state to do anyway.

However I did expect that relaxation would lead to a visible up-tick in infection rates (and that may be a worthwhile trade-off). The graphs that I have seen however appear to be heading downwards still.

Possibly, apart from some care homes, it maybe that Covid has picked the low-hanging fruit in various populations - the mega-vulnerable that, in nature, are always the first to go. It really depends on how widespread this virus actually is as a percentage across the population. I am not sure that we know the answer to that yet.

Or it could simply be that it does not spread as easily as we think and "herd immunity" is achieved with a very low percentage.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Eventually, the bigger story of the Cummings episode is how fucked the BBC are going to be as a result of the way they have played it.

You seem to be implying Cummings might be a vindictive man with a lot of clout.
    I fucking hope so....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Both the left and right complain about the BBC. I think that means they're getting it right.
  • Options

Socky said:

Possibly, apart from some care homes, it maybe that Covid has picked the low-hanging fruit in various populations - the mega-vulnerable that, in nature, are always the first to go. It really depends on how widespread this virus actually is as a percentage across the population. I am not sure that we know the answer to that yet.
    There have been serology surveys showing it's not even at 10%, unfortunately.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

Andy_JS said:

'Cos if you don't...
    Treason never prospers and, more recently, when you play the Game of Thrones you win or you die.

The government was already at daggers drawn with the BBC before this (Today boycotts etc). But that may prove to have been the phoney war.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

DavidL said:

Businesses do not have a right to trade nor does the government have an obligaiton to fund their trading. If they cannot sell their output for more than it costs to produce it they will go out of business.

In the case of cafes they can double their prices if everyone else is having to do the same, that is it is a level playing field. Why should we not pay £5 for a cappuccino , with or without chocolate, if that is what it costs?

Because people will not pay it. It is bad enough paying (say) Starbucks £3 for a coffee when, for a few pennies more, you can pop in to Tesco and buy a bag of Starbucks's coffee for £3.50

All that will happen is that all High Street coffee shops will close

For further info, I refer you to either the Scandinavians whose booze prices are so high (level playing field) that there is a black market in booze, our own tobacco industry where prices are so high there is a black market in fags and finally prohibition in the USA where moonshine sales replaced the legitimate market.

All level playing fields that the public work around.
    The government has deliberately stopped businesses trading. So yes it bloody well has an obligation to support them. And if it stops them trading viably after lockdown then that obligation continues.

My daughter and her employees WANT to work. They don’t want to sit on furlough doing nothing. How ****ing hard is it to understand this? FFS!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh sure - got all that - loads of economic losers - furlough has given a false sense of security - I thought you were making a more general observation.

My concern is also with the younger generation. Is university worth it? Lack of job opportunities. Debt on the next generation (and probably generation after that). The reality hasn`t dawned yet for many. I was chatting to a friend yesterday, she asked "when do you think things will be back to normal again?". I think she was expecting me to say "by the Autumn" or something. I said "never".
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308
    edited May 2020

Scott_xP said:

Cummings is a smokescreen, admittedly one that may resonate with some voters.

Meanwhile back in the real world people are grateful that the subterfuge government has adopted to mitigate the Cummings effect has allowed them back on the beach in Bournemouth. That their children are back at school from Monday. That pubs and bars will soon be open. This will make them happy until the second wave locks them down again. The penny will then drop on the second wave that Boris opened England too early, the economy will fall further, the NHS will be consumed and more people will die unneccessarily. It will be at that point that the Conservative Party becomes unelectable.

PB Tories say a second wave is impossible, they cite Switzerland! I say where is track and trace? What precautions have government set in place? I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited May 2020

TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish Care Homes COVID has made the NYT - with Johnson getting the blame.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/world/europe/coronavirus-uk-nursing-homes.html

They seem to be largely blaming the company that runs it on my reading. It sounds hellish for residents and staff.

'Soon after a nationwide lockdown went into effect in March, a new deputy manager arrived from Kent, in southeastern England. HC-One has said she isolated before starting work. But that was before she made the 650-mile journey to the island, the employees and HC-One said. She eventually became sick and stopped working, the company said.
    Feeling unprotected by management, employees cleaned the home obsessively and enforced their own distancing rules. When residents were startled, as they often were, aides held their hands and stroked them. Sometimes employees broke down crying.

For HC-One, the nursing home business has been lucrative, as the company paid more than 50 million pounds, or nearly $61 million, in dividends from 2017 to 2019.'

'...HC-One warned that its “ability to continue as a going concern” was in jeopardy.
    But nursing home finances are difficult to trace. The HC-One group includes 62 companies, 19 of them registered offshore, and its parent company is based in the Cayman Islands.
    “It’s money before care all the time,” Ms. Harris said. “The staff they did have worked so hard, but they’ve been let down.”'
    Usual Tory tax dodgers maximising profits at expense of people's granny, lies right at Boris's door.

Are you making the case for more government interference in the running of honest, upstanding private businesses? Well done!
    Are you making the case that Care Homes are honest upstanding private businesses?
    Yes by and large.
    Probably - but there have been several examples of absentee owners having an atrocious outbreak - Skye and Man spring to mind. In the latter one home accounted for 20 of the islands 24 cases. The Manx government shut it down. The Sandbank resident owners were miffed.
    There are exceptions in any industry but I have to believe that anyone who goes into care does so because they care about it. Like teaching, nursing etc

Regarding absentee owners that can happen in any sector too. So long as they have passionate and good managers that should be fine. It's the managers who matter more most likely than the owners, besides owner/managers.

I've not read it but don't judge a sector by a bad apple. People literally go into care to care for others, it's a noble motive.

A bad school or bad teachers wouldn't make you condemn the entire education sector would it?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile back in the real world people are grateful that the subterfuge government has adopted to mitigate the Cummings effect has allowed them back on the beach in Bournemouth. That their children are back at school. That pubs and bars will soon be open. This will make them happy until the second wave locks them down again. The penny will then drop on the second wave that Boris opened England too early, the economy will fall further, the NHS will be consumed and more people will die unneccessarily. It will be at that point that the Conservative Party becomes unelectable.

PB Tories say a second wave is impossible, they cite Switzerland! I say where is track and trace? What precautions have government set in place? I hope I am wrong.
    PB Tories say that?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    edited May 2020

Scott_xP said:

They're going to be able to go out, meet friends, and have a drink in the sun in the near future.

That IS happiness in Britain.
    We've been doing that for weeks in Devon. "Distance dining" - one couple each end of the table. Scattered tables around the lawn for VE-Day tea and cake.

Lowest Covid-19 in the country. Because we have taken personal responsibility for our lives and acted very sensibly.
    I think other factors are responsible for the low rate in the south west. Healthier population, low population density, older people less likely to have worked in heavy industry when they were younger, less pollution, etc.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh sure - got all that - loads of economic losers - furlough has given a false sense of security - I thought you were making a more general observation.

My concern is also with the younger generation. Is university worth it? Lack of job opportunities. Debt on the next generation (and probably generation after that). The reality hasn`t dawned yet for many. I was chatting to a friend yesterday, she asked "when do you think things will be back to normal again?". I think she was expecting me to say "by the Autumn" or something. I said "never".
    The more general observation is that life is going to get worse in most tangible ways for many, perhaps most people. How much more general do you want me to be?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Both the left and right complain about the BBC. I think that means they're getting it right.
    Both the left and right complain about pineapple pizza fans. I think that means they're getting it right...
  • Options
    edited May 2020

183 new deaths in England. Last 3 days, 28 / 64 / 24. Bit of backdating in there, but figures don't look that great overall. Looks rather same as last week type plateau.

Better than I expected. Need to compare with Tuesday last week and remember there's been a 3 day weekend.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile back in the real world people are grateful that the subterfuge government has adopted to mitigate the Cummings effect has allowed them back on the beach in Bournemouth. That their children are back at school. That pubs and bars will soon be open. This will make them happy until the second wave locks them down again. The penny will then drop on the second wave that Boris opened England too early, the economy will fall further, the NHS will be consumed and more people will die unneccessarily. It will be at that point that the Conservative Party becomes unelectable.

PB Tories say that?
    Scroll down.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Somewhat predictably Wings over Scotland has got nowhere with his appeal: https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2020csih27.pdf?sfvrsn=0

The main point of interest is that it was the first substantive Inner House appeal to be dealt with remotely.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

'Cos if you don't...
    All these metaphors: regicide, assassination, feeding frenzy, getting their man, taking their scalp. This misses two points. First, news organizations report news, all the time, and "news" is ultimately defined as what their audience considers to be news, cos otherwise they would lose their readership. Blaming the press is like warmist dweebs campaigning against investment in BP while pretending not to realise that their consumption of BP's products keeps BP in business.

Secondly, the story is that a conceited creep is more conceited, and much less clever, than appeared at first sight. The big swinging dick bloodshed metaphors lend it a dignity it just does not deserve.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

PB Tories say that?
    Scroll down.
    So one poster said that? I don't think all, or even a majority, of PB Tories subscribe to this view.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Andy_JS said:
    Bet she receives less complaints than the Cummings must go petition has signatories
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The more general observation is that life is going to get worse in most tangible ways for many, perhaps most people. How much more general do you want me to be?
    And that’s before the likely economic shock of a No Deal exit from the transition period next January ........
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Yes and so he should
    Isn't health a devolved matter?
    Private care homes , word Private gives you a clue. Scottish Government having to bail out greedy Tories after they have made fortunes and then let the old grannies fend for themselves. Having to move SNHS staff in to support Tory robber Barons, would not have happened if we had not been a colony.
    You think private is a dirty word?
    When preceding parts and dancer, a lidl bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Andy_JS said:
    Bet she receives less complaints than the Cummings must go petition has signatories
    Oh god, there's a petition? Cummings is surely on his way out now.

:D
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    We are soon going to be back the same old, same old no-deal vs extension...

Michel Barnier has written a letter replying to a group of SNP, Lib Dem, Plaid Cymru, SDLP, Green, and Alliance Members of Parliament confirming that the EU is open to extending the transition period, although states that an extension must be agreed before 1 July

https://order-order.com/2020/05/27/barnier-begs-opposition-parties-for-extension/
  • Options

We are soon going to be back the same old same old...

Michel Barnier has written a letter replying to a group of SNP, Lib Dem, Plaid Cymru, SDLP, Green, and Alliance Members of Parliament confirming that the EU is open to extending the transition period, although states that an extension must be agreed before 1 July

https://order-order.com/2020/05/27/barnier-begs-opposition-parties-for-extension/

Does he know they are in opposition?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Yes and so he should
    Isn't health a devolved matter?
    Private care homes , word Private gives you a clue. Scottish Government having to bail out greedy Tories after they have made fortunes and then let the old grannies fend for themselves. Having to move SNHS staff in to support Tory robber Barons, would not have happened if we had not been a colony.
    You think private is a dirty word?
    Nonsense, Blackadder.

Now, crevice is a dirty word...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    RobD said:

In other countries the EU would just abolish the government and install a technocrat.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    edited May 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

You're just being morbid. In my view the talk of economic Armageddon has been ludicrously over egged. My own employer, for example, has seen a perfectly reasonable turnover during the last couple of months, and they're rapidly getting people back from furlough. And this is not in an industry thought to be system critical to the human race.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

And that’s before the likely economic shock of a No Deal exit from the transition period next January ........
    No better time than the present.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

You're just being morbid. In my view the talk of economic Armageddon has been ludicrously over egged. My own employer, for example, has seen a perfectly reasonable turnover during the last couple of months, and they're rapidly getting people back from furlough. And this is not in an industry thought to be system critical to the human race.
    I hope you are right. I fear not though. Even before covid-geddon, the world economy wasn't looking great. And the cost of doing business will only be increased by all the measures to be "Covid Secure". And that is before Brexit.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Thought you were against threats

Didnt know you were a fan of N Korea
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh get a grip.

Brexit is drowned out by the changing landscape and screaming about it just simple ignores the fact that world has gone through a seismic shift and none of the assumptions people made two years ago hold up. Oil price on the floor. China US warming up daily, globalisation in reverse.

The Brexit arguments are all dead, we are walking in to a new world and need to get our heads around it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Likes aren't really a thing on PB.
    Oh I don't know? Boris fanboys seem to vote for each other like they were former Soviet States in a Eurovision Song Contest.
    I wasn't sure if your liking my post was ironic or not! :smile:

But on the Boris fans then yes. It is very curious. Liking him, not supporting each other.

I would have thought that it was transparently obvious that Boris is a self-serving, solipsistic, useless twat.

But it appears that his fans on here are like those aged shoppers in Aldi who think he is a breath of fresh air.

No irony!

I love it when one of them states something like 'Kinnock and Ali broke lockdown, Starmer is a disgrace for not firing them. Cummings and Jenrick did nothing wrong, they followed all the rules' and the writer gets four likes from the usual suspects. Another writes the same old nonsense and he gets four likes from a different combination of the usual suspects too, and so it goes on.

The similarities between the Soviet Union and PB Tories are uncanny.
  • Options
    Christ alive, no wonder Weston-Super-Mare hospital had to close, testing on asymptotic staff came back with 40% have it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

Yes by and large.

I've not read it but don't judge a sector by a bad apple. People literally go into care to care for others, it's a noble motive.

A bad school or bad teachers wouldn't make you condemn the entire education sector would it?
    If it was in Scotland you can bet it would. You notice she has yet to produce anything on English care homes, this is just her hatred for anything SNP/Scottish.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

wtf is he doing that for.?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

Yes by and large.

No, but I'd criticise any government that failed in its duty of oversight.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Businesses do not have a right to trade nor does the government have an obligaiton to fund their trading. If they cannot sell their output for more than it costs to produce it they will go out of business.

In the case of cafes they can double their prices if everyone else is having to do the same, that is it is a level playing field. Why should we not pay £5 for a cappuccino , with or without chocolate, if that is what it costs?

Because people will not pay it. It is bad enough paying (say) Starbucks £3 for a coffee when, for a few pennies more, you can pop in to Tesco and buy a bag of Starbucks's coffee for £3.50

For further info, I refer you to either the Scandinavians whose booze prices are so high (level playing field) that there is a black market in booze, our own tobacco industry where prices are so high there is a black market in fags and finally prohibition in the USA where moonshine sales replaced the legitimate market.

The government has deliberately stopped businesses trading. So yes it bloody well has an obligation to support them. And if it stops them trading viably after lockdown then that obligation continues.

My daughter and her employees WANT to work. They don’t want to sit on furlough doing nothing. How ****ing hard is it to understand this? FFS!
    For temporary restrictions, I think the furlough scheme is the best way forward. And the govt deserves a lot of credit for introducing this so swiftly.

But if it's necessary for govt to bring in public health restrictions which make some businesses unviable longer-term, then it's very hard, but I think those businesses have to adapt/do something else.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130

Except now the Tories have a majority of 80 as opposed to last year when they had no majority at all there is little chance of further extension passing
  • Options
    RobD said:

OllyT said:

Brom said:

What they supposed to say?

"Massive Tory Maitless has 45 seconds of truth telling its a disgrace"!!
  • Options
    Conservative Parliamentary party discipline is completely breaking down:

https://twitter.com/azeem/status/1265602498057908225?s=20
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I am not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out DavidL's "Level playing field" fallacy...
  • Options
    edited May 2020

wtf is he doing that for.?
    I presume so that if / when we no-deal, opposition and the EU can lay it all on Boris, saying look we were reasonable and said there was always an extension available.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

In other countries the EU would just abolish the government and install a technocrat.
    Haven't we sort of half done that? We have an absent Prime Minister in hock to an unassailable technocrat.
  • Options

RobD said:

OllyT said:

Brom said:

What they supposed to say?

"Massive Tory Maitless has 45 seconds of truth telling its a disgrace"!!
    Just saying there's nothing about OFCOM complaints in Guido, so they must be from somewhere else.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    DavidL said:

Somewhat predictably Wings over Scotland has got nowhere with his appeal: https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2020csih27.pdf?sfvrsn=0

The main point of interest is that it was the first substantive Inner House appeal to be dealt with remotely.

David, will that make any difference to the cost.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

It's not about getting smashed. Pub gardens are communal spaces. People behave differently than they do in their own gardens, the numbers would be greater, and the risk of infecting strangers is greater.

To be clear, I personally think the rules should be relaxed to allow this, as I think the risks are manageable and the benefit in economic and social terms is worth having. But it's silly not to recognise that there is a very valid argument on the other side.
    Cyclefree's second point, though - that if you keep such businesses closed for much longer, then you have effectively finished them - needs answering.
    Oh, I entirely agree with that one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

'Cos if you don't...
    All these metaphors: regicide, assassination, feeding frenzy, getting their man, taking their scalp. This misses two points. First, news organizations report news, all the time, and "news" is ultimately defined as what their audience considers to be news, cos otherwise they would lose their readership. Blaming the press is like warmist dweebs campaigning against investment in BP while pretending not to realise that their consumption of BP's products keeps BP in business.

Secondly, the story is that a conceited creep is more conceited, and much less clever, than appeared at first sight. The big swinging dick bloodshed metaphors lend it a dignity it just does not deserve.
    This entire episode is a trial of strength (oops, another metaphor!) to determine who wields the real power in Britain - the elected government, or the unelected media. quapropter res iam redit ad triarios.

Colourful metaphors are indeed inadequate to express the magnitude of what is at stake.
  • Options
    Set your watches - 4pm:

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/8e8e5214-346d-4be8-adf7-addfc839ff6d

Liaison Committee
    Wednesday 27 May 2020 Meeting starts at 4.00pm

Subject: Coronavirus: the science, the impact, and the way ahead

Witness: Boris Johnson, The Prime Minister
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited May 2020
    EU negotiator Frost and Gove up vs select committee on BBC Parly.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    edited May 2020
    A masterly dissection of Mr Cummings. Worth watching. No paywall

https://www.ft.com/video/e82b5a00-3ad5-4d2c-9703-ff14942aa5b1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Pathetic witlessness provokes pathetic witlessness, Adam. You, of all people.....
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh get a grip.

Brexit is drowned out by the changing landscape and screaming about it just simple ignores the fact that world has gone through a seismic shift and none of the assumptions people made two years ago hold up. Oil price on the floor. China US warming up daily, globalisation in reverse.

The Brexit arguments are all dead, we are walking in to a new world and need to get our heads around it.
    I’m not screaming about it. You are. I am simply pointing out what is very likely going to happen in just over 6 months. It will be the new world - the better world that supporters like you promised.

If it isn’t it could cause additional economic harm on top of the economic harm caused by this virus. That is worth noting, even if you don’t like this being pointed out.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

Except now the Tories have a majority of 80 as opposed to last year when they had no majority at all there is little chance of further extension passing
    The point is not that they can stop it, but it gives opposition / EU ability to say we were reasonable at all time, it was Kamikaze Boris taking us over the edge with No Deal i.e. what we have heard time and time again.

We will soon be reading day in day out all about the horrors of potential no deal again, and how if we just agree to extend again everything could be fine.

And given the lack of discipline over Cummings, will it hold if Boris / Cummings look like they are going to go No Deal.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Thought you were against threats

Didnt know you were a fan of N Korea
    I'm a fan of real politik.

The Beeb have had decades of being insulated from it.

No more.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Barry Sheerman berating Gove for EU negotiation updates not having a higher media profile.

Well...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh get a grip.

We are, but that doesn't make it irrelevant.
    Nissan's Sunderland factory, for example; it's going to survive, but what's in question is how much it might grow:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13404464
    ...Under the new working relationship, Nissan could take the lead in Europe on crossover sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), while operating as a “follower” in commercial vans and small city cars, using versions produced by Renault, the sources said.

Nissan’s factory in Sunderland in the United Kingdom is of particular importance, they said.

Renault and Nissan are planning to turn the assembly plant into a hub for SUVs such as Nissan’s Qashqai and Juke, and potentially their Renault counterparts, the Kadjar and Captur. The companies are working on the plans, though it’s not clear when a final decision will be made, the sources said.

Whether Renault vehicles could be built profitably at the plant is unclear, given the uncertainty over tariffs as Britain leaves the European Union, according to one of the sources.

“It should be a pure economic transaction, but it’s also likely a political decision, too,” he said...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh get a grip.

I’m not screaming about it. You are. I am simply pointing out what is very likely going to happen in just over 6 months. It will be the new world - the better world that supporters like you promised.

If it isn’t it could cause additional economic harm on top of the economic harm caused by this virus. That is worth noting, even if you don’t like this being pointed out.
    If I recall correctly I consistently argued Brexit wouldn't make that much difference and it would be something from left field which would have the biggest effect on the economy.

QED
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    He is a smart cookie, he knows normal people like a cheeky Nandos. Remember how call me Dave conveniently got photographed in one.

Now, personally, I would never be seen dead in a place like that, but I am not trying to position myself to potentially be PM.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

The point is not that they can stop it, but it gives opposition / EU ability to say we were reasonable at all time, it was Kamikaze Boris taking us over the edge with No Deal i.e. what we have heard time and time again.

We will soon be reading day in day out all about the horrors of potential no deal again, and how if we just agree to extend again everything could be fine.

And given the lack of discipline over Cummings, will it hold if Boris / Cummings look like they are going to go No Deal.
    Well it does make it easier for Labour, the LDs, Greens, Plaid and the SNP collectively to agree with the EU to take us back into the single market if combined they have a majority after the next general election true.

However given the clear majority of Tory and Leave voters want WTO terms Brexit now and the Brexit Party is waiting in the wings if that is not delivered, that is what Tory MPs will vote for
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    and he is on twitter. wtf does he think the loons with more opinions than brains are going to say?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    You got me excited for nothing. Our local one isn't one of the reopening ones.

Not sure which I want to reopen first - Nando's or pubs. Come on hurry up!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

'Cos if you don't...

This entire episode is a trial of strength (oops, another metaphor!) to determine who wields the real power in Britain - the elected government, or the unelected media. quapropter res iam redit ad triarios.

Colourful metaphors are indeed inadequate to express the magnitude of what is at stake.
    Not really. The press was doing what it is meant to do in a free society, holding the government to account and raising the concerns of the public. It's disturbing how some people on this forum have these kind of totalitarian tendencies. Perhaps Tories are simply unaccustomed to hostile press treatment and so lash out at it? After all, the monstering that the Daily Mail unleashed on Mr Cummings (wholely deservedly) was a pale immigration of the odure they rain down daily on whoever has the temerity to lead the Labour Party.
  • Options
    IMO, they are falling into the trap of CNN / NYT / WP / MSNBC does with Trump. Their hatred of the man leads to them publishing inaccuracies and it gives Trump an out (but in Trump's case he can't help himself but to jump straight back into the shit). It is what Bad Al used to use all the time to get New Labour out of issues.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1265635019420323845?s=20
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh get a grip.

If I recall correctly I consistently argued Brexit wouldn't make that much difference and it would be something from left field which would have the biggest effect on the economy...
    Kudos for that.

But did you really have to arrange all this just to prove your point ?
  • Options
    I've never been in a Nando's. Have I missed out?
  • Options

He is a smart cookie, he knows normal people like a cheeky Nandos. Remember how call me Dave conveniently got photographed in one.

Now, personally, I would never be seen dead in a place like that, but I am not trying to position myself to potentially be PM.
    Nando's is my favourite branded restaurant. Much better chicken than KFC.
  • Options

no.
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,513
    Rishi is 40 so is the right age to have been eating Nando's when they stormed Britain around the turn of the century iirc. He is probably serious.
  • Options

no.

Yes.
    Well that's conclusive.
This discussion has been closed.