Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s been definite damage to Boris Johnson in the polls fol

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Alistair said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

The big drop in approval for Johnson and the government in the Sevanta poll happened following the "Stay Alert" fiasco. The Cummings affair has only reinforced a negative trend and doesn't seem a game changer in itself. My suspicion is that a general awareness of a government not in control of events is playing out rather than a particular outrage.

The logic driving lockdown is that is prevents the spread of Corona and reduces its incidence. It follows, therefore, that a relaxation of lockdown will result in more Corona. and more incidence.

So relaxations actually confront the original premise. They are always going to look awkward
    Only if the relaxation reverts the situation back to status quo ante. Not sure that's exactly happening.
    Well if that's not happening then the relationship between lockdown and Corona simply cannot be what its proponents claim. Otherwise partial reversions to status quo will occur as relaxations are stepped up. IE the second peak

That is the logic of what we have been told and it is still what many on here adhere to,
    https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Georgia reopened at the start of the month.

They have a second peak.
    Didn’t both South Korea and Hokkaido have second peaks after relaxation that they had to jump on again as well?
    But the genie is out of the bottle lockdown 2 will not be accepted in many environments, I doubt it would be in Spain despite the high level of policing so it will become a personal decision as to where you go and who you meet with. Sensible people will wear masks and only go places where they real safe.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    CNN's headline today is

' a month after re-opening, Georgia new cases continue slow and steady'

so...

I don;t know if you would call that a second peak.

even CNN can't magic up the relationship between lockdown and the virus that you do,

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

Another small building block for Labour: Starmer's choice in as party general-secretary. The far-left will be spitting tacks.
    https://labourlist.org/2020/05/david-evans-named-labours-new-general-secretary/

No we on the left continue to support the party and do everything we can to beat the Tories

You and Rochdale clearly not capable of doing that for the last 5 years have a whiff of the Cummings hypocrisy about you and continue to be factional at every turn.
    No tack-spitting here. Starmer's still broadly enjoying a honeymoon with us Corbynites as well, of course with exceptions. We recognise the need to professionalise the party.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,486

Big_Ian said:

Took half-day off today, went for a walk through town and out onto the Heath. Lovely weather, blue skies, skylarks. Well worth the trip.

A lot of people out as well, despite it being 2pm on a Monday and most folk still having jobs to do. Based on what I've seen, I'd say that the 2m rule is still very much alive but people have well and truly had it with staying at home.

Not that they will necessarily be interested in the non-essential shops when they open back up, of course. I've been watching the news report about this. You can't make a day of it (you have to go round on your own, and there are still no cafes and restaurants to stop at for lunch.) You can't try on clothes. You're not meant to touch anything, so Lord alone knows how you're meant to rummage the rails and get a proper look at anything. You'll have to queue to get into anywhere you want to visit.

I reckon there'll be an initial dash by some shoppers, reflecting some pent-up demand and the novelty of stores being open again, but after one or two weekends trade will drop right back off. If you take practically all the advantages of physical retail away then why would people not stick to online?

It’s Tuesday!
    Bad Day at Black Rook
    My bad :smile: I doubt I'm the first person to have lost track of what day of the week it is during all of this.
    I changed my computer prompt to include the day of the week: Tuesday $
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    In fairness, the police have to investigate any remotely serious allegation. It shouldn't be taken to imply proof or its absence.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Mr. Max, Starmer's wibbling on carving England into pieces with the knife of devolution is off-putting.

What has he said?

And are you even in the slightest bit aware of what an utterly dysfunctional political entity England is? Do you have no concept of how vaguely civilised countries run their affairs?
  • Options

About as much use as the one that resulted in the CPS deciding that providing Ms Arcuri with free foreign jollies at the taxpayers expense and her business with free public money despite having moved back to the USA was all above board.
    The inquiry properly concluded Boris did not influence the committee but that the committee was influenced by Boris. Sounds fair to me.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Big_Ian said:

Took half-day off today, went for a walk through town and out onto the Heath. Lovely weather, blue skies, skylarks. Well worth the trip.

A lot of people out as well, despite it being 2pm on a Monday and most folk still having jobs to do. Based on what I've seen, I'd say that the 2m rule is still very much alive but people have well and truly had it with staying at home.

Not that they will necessarily be interested in the non-essential shops when they open back up, of course. I've been watching the news report about this. You can't make a day of it (you have to go round on your own, and there are still no cafes and restaurants to stop at for lunch.) You can't try on clothes. You're not meant to touch anything, so Lord alone knows how you're meant to rummage the rails and get a proper look at anything. You'll have to queue to get into anywhere you want to visit.

I reckon there'll be an initial dash by some shoppers, reflecting some pent-up demand and the novelty of stores being open again, but after one or two weekends trade will drop right back off. If you take practically all the advantages of physical retail away then why would people not stick to online?

It’s Tuesday!
    Bad Day at Black Rook
    My bad :smile: I doubt I'm the first person to have lost track of what day of the week it is during all of this.
    If I can cheer you up, I spent most of yesterday on business calls to South Africa, having failed to realise it was a Bank Holiday here until Friday. I’m supposed to be retired.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

FF43 said:

The big drop in approval for Johnson and the government in the Sevanta poll happened following the "Stay Alert" fiasco. The Cummings affair has only reinforced a negative trend and doesn't seem a game changer in itself. My suspicion is that a general awareness of a government not in control of events is playing out rather than a particular outrage.

The logic driving lockdown is that is prevents the spread of Corona and reduces its incidence. It follows, therefore, that a relaxation of lockdown will result in more Corona. and more incidence.

So relaxations actually confront the original premise. They are always going to look awkward
    A higher incidence than it would have been if no relaxation had occurred.
    The entire point is to find a way of maximising our freedoms while minimising R.
    The Germans seem to be doing a good job of it so far, which can be encouraging. There are also certainly low hanging fruits where the affect on increasing R is minimal but the benefits socially and economically are far higher; they’re trying to find them.

If, at any point, incidence starts to actually increase, that’s worrying, because it could signal reimposition of restrictions. But the original premise (ie the germ theory of disease) is well established.
    No sorry the imposition of a lockdown presupposes its effectivness. Otherwise it certainly would not have happened.

And the withdrawal of a lockdown, for those who support that lockdown, will mean the opposite effect (assuming Corona has not been eradicated).

Lockdowners fear a second spike precisely for this reason. Which makes you wonder why they are supporting any relaxation at all.

Semmelweiss found massive resistance to the germ theory, because it was extremely inconvenient to the doctors of the time. They could come up with all sorts of handwavy excuses.

You’ve had the mechanics of infectivity and restrictions explained to you time and again, as well as the economics of pandemics and lockdowns, including links to both the theory and evidence behind them and to the overwhelming economist views.

Yet you continue to ignore them and repeat your already-debunked stuff again and again. I can only conclude that your simply an anonymous internet troll of the worst kind.
    No I simply support the conclusion of the Oxford Epidemiologist Group under Prof Gupta.

You don;t want to accept them and that's your right. Its also my right to assert their increasingly persuasive arguments, as the events surrounding the disease play out, and prove the relationship you see between lockdown and disease path as simply incorrect.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,534
    HYUFD said:

NEW Survation Poll – Westminster Voting Intention:
    CON 46% (-2)
    LAB 33% (+3)
    LD 8% (-)
    GRN 4% (-1)
    SNP 5% (-)
    BXP <1% (-)
    OTH 4% (-)

Nearly all fieldwork post Cummings

Great result for Tories</p>

Actually fieldwork was Friday to today so most of it before Cummings' statement yesterday.

The poll shows the Tories lead has still fallen but they still have a clear lead.

If that lead has fallen again next weekend then there is more of a problem
    Would be fascinating to see if there was any variation by day. Though the wheels only really came off Sunday evening.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

CNN's headline today is

so...

even CNN can't magic up the relationship between lockdown and the virus that you do,

You can literally see the second peak of cases on the graph of the page I linked.

And that's lagged data, that peak is going to grow.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

In fairness, the police have to investigate any remotely serious allegation. It shouldn't be taken to imply proof or its absence.
    Indeed. I think its reasonable to let a free and fair investigation settle the matter. If he gets convicted of any offence he should go, if he doesn't he should stay.

Convictions matter. Witch hunts don't.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The CNN article is literally talking about the uptick.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Alistair said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Only if the relaxation reverts the situation back to status quo ante. Not sure that's exactly happening.
    Well if that's not happening then the relationship between lockdown and Corona simply cannot be what its proponents claim. Otherwise partial reversions to status quo will occur as relaxations are stepped up. IE the second peak

That is the logic of what we have been told and it is still what many on here adhere to,
    https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Georgia reopened at the start of the month.

They have a second peak.
    OK so why are we re-opening if that is the relationship between the virus and lockdown?

all we are doing is kicking the second peak can down the road, if you are right.

Well, it seems that saying "All well now! Go party!" (the Georgian approach) results in a second peak. While slowly removing restrictions (see Italy and Germany) does not.

The point is to understand where the biggest "bang for the buck is". What are the restrictions that can be removed without seeing the virus explode.

I don't think that this is particularly complicated.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:
    Love the idea that the job of government as well as making up the law without the help of parliament (Virus Regs 2020) are allowed to interpret it as they go along, undermine it at will and decide by themselves to vary sentence and quash conviction. Move over Divisional Court and Court of Appeal (Criminal Division), the government is going to do it for you.

That's pretty much how they run it in North Korea.
    Hmm I always assumed with the Gov't assuming emergency powers there was an "unspoken" requirement to err be well reasonable and fair in their operation.
    I'd assumed (from far away) that police were mostly telling people to go home, rather than issuing fines - other than in the most egregious cases such as people hosting noisy house parties and pubs that wouldn't shut??
    I think as a general rule, the police will be understanding if you apologise, and explain that while you are technically breaking the rules, it's a family emergency.

If on the other hand, you tell them you've done nothing wrong, and demand to know why they stopped you, then you'll find them much less sympathetic.
    If you want a measure of this, UK Police had imposed a little under 15k fines between March 27th and May 11th. That is, about 350 a day.
    (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52674192)

Compare that with Spain issuing 1million and 10k fines by May 20th.
    https://en.as.com/en/2020/05/20/other_sports/1590007192_285496.html

On the whole the UK police have done a good, policing by consent, job.

(From a skeptic wrt our recent police culture.)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

CNN's headline today is

so...

18 May is the highest single day for CV-19 cases in the state of Georgia, with 965 cases. (There are reporting delays between tests happening and results coming back so it may be that more recent days are higher.)

If your highest ever date for positive results is in the second half of May, I think you need to accept that there's a second peak, whatever the CNN headline says.
  • Options
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    "YouTube is deleting comments with two phrases that insult China’s Communist Party"

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270290/youtube-deleting-comments-censorship-chinese-communist-party-ccp
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

TGOHF666 said:

Laura avoids Covid at the Covid briefing and sticks to Dom.

Move on love.

I think your last sentence is demeaning and misogynistic
    There is only one thing that allow us to move on

The fact this has been running for 5 days without resolution is disgraceful.
    We are agreeing BJO

Cummings goes or Boris does, or even both

I am furious over this
    Even HYUFD has been pretty quiet.

I think if Cummings goes Tories will continue a healthy lead in the polls
    Tells you all you need to know that the only 3 posters still trying to sell this bullshit are TGOHF, BluestBlue and Philip Thompson. All the saner Tories have understood the damage being done.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:
    Love the idea that the job of government as well as making up the law without the help of parliament (Virus Regs 2020) are allowed to interpret it as they go along, undermine it at will and decide by themselves to vary sentence and quash conviction. Move over Divisional Court and Court of Appeal (Criminal Division), the government is going to do it for you.

Hmm I always assumed with the Gov't assuming emergency powers there was an "unspoken" requirement to err be well reasonable and fair in their operation.
    I'd assumed (from far away) that police were mostly telling people to go home, rather than issuing fines - other than in the most egregious cases such as people hosting noisy house parties and pubs that wouldn't shut??
    I think as a general rule, the police will be understanding if you apologise, and explain that while you are technically breaking the rules, it's a family emergency.

If on the other hand, you tell them you've done nothing wrong, and demand to know why they stopped you, then you'll find them much less sympathetic.
    Yes - an apology goes a long way even if you don't mean it.

Cummings and Johnson could have exploited this fact. They could have been Hugh Grant with Robert Peston as Oprah Winfrey.

Too late now. They are chained together and doomed.
    My wife (not political, hence I discuss politics here) said 'he should have just said he'd done what he'd done for his family, apologised for upsetting people and offered to make a donation to an NHS charity'.

Not a bad suggestion. If that had been done first thing then I think it would have taken the sting out of it completely.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mango said:

Mr. Max, Starmer's wibbling on carving England into pieces with the knife of devolution is off-putting.

What has he said?

And are you even in the slightest bit aware of what an utterly dysfunctional political entity England is? Do you have no concept of how vaguely civilised countries run their affairs?
    Apparently England used to be split into 4 parts, but that ended up with Europeans running most of the country.* Or something

* except for a boggy little island in the Summer Country
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited May 2020

Right now, Keir seems to be popular despite the Labour Party, hence why his popularity seems to go up more than Labour's does. His job is to convert his approval into votes.

I think the polls are baloney because...

No way is the gap between the government and Labour bigger now than it was at the GE, and thats what the polls say

No way is Keir Starmer so much more popular than Corbyn and Johnson so less popular than he was while he still leads as most preferred PM by Boris>Corbyn levels, which is also what they say

Hypothetical polls are nonsense, whether they are good for your side or bad.

• Options

Indeed. I think its reasonable to let a free and fair investigation settle the matter. If he gets convicted of any offence he should go, if he doesn't he should stay.

Do you think anyone should have resigned over Cash-for-Honours out of interest?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    rcs1000 said:
    If you can believe the ONS survey, their estimate of daily new cases in the UK is about 9000.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,117
    I don't know if anyone has posted this but these districts have reported no cases for the past six days:

1Basildon
    2Bassetlaw
    3Boston
    4Broxbourne
    5Chichester
    6City of London
    7Craven
    8East Cambridgeshire
    9East Devon
    10East Lindsey
    11Epsom and Ewell
    12Gosport
    13Malvern Hills
    14Milton Keynes
    15North East Lincolnshire
    16North Kesteven
    17North Lincolnshire
    18Rutland
    19Sevenoaks
    20South Cambridgeshire
    21South Gloucestershire
    22South Hams
    23South Holland
    24South Kesteven
    25Southend-on-Sea
    26Stevenage
    27Stratford-on-Avon
    28Tandridge
    29Teignbridge
    30Torbay
    31Torridge
    32West Devon
    33West Lindsey

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1265317629486604289
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Laura avoids Covid at the Covid briefing and sticks to Dom.

Move on love.

I think your last sentence is demeaning and misogynistic
    There is only one thing that allow us to move on

The fact this has been running for 5 days without resolution is disgraceful.
    There's been a resolution, you just don't like it.
  • Options

Another small building block for Labour: Starmer's choice in as party general-secretary. The far-left will be spitting tacks.

No we on the left continue to support the party and do everything we can to beat the Tories

You and Rochdale clearly not capable of doing that for the last 5 years have a whiff of the Cummings hypocrisy about you and continue to be factional at every turn.
    I remeber from when I was previously on here that you are a decent bloke, surely you cannot support twats like this. Makes me wonder who the nasty party really is:

https://order-order.com/2020/05/26/guardian-and-mirror-writer-threatens-to-assault-michael-gove-in-front-of-his-children/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Can’t disagree. That isn’t the point.

The point is neither is a known racist.
    One day Aaron will be a white guy in his late 50s too.
    Keir can do a Cammo and say to Jezza "You were a white guy in your fifties once"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    isam said:

Right now, Keir seems to be popular despite the Labour Party, hence why his popularity seems to go up more than Labour's does. His job is to convert his approval into votes.

No way is the gap between the government and Labour bigger now than it was at the GE, and thats what the polls say

No way is so much more popular than Corbyn and Johnson so less popular than he was while he still leads as most preferred PM by Boris>Corbyn levels, which is also what they say

Indeed, but... you'd rather the nonsense polls were showing you a dozen points clear than a dozen points behind.
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:
    If you can believe the ONS survey, their estimate of daily new cases in the UK is about 9000.
    That isn't a comparable figure as the Italy figure is confirmed new cases, whereas I think the ONS is an estimate of actual.

Little doubt that Italy has fewer new cases than the UK, but not by a factor of 20+.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andy_JS said:
    When did every journalist become an 'activist'?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

CON 46% (-2)
    LAB 33% (+3)
    LD 8% (-)
    GRN 4% (-1)
    SNP 5% (-)
    BXP <1% (-)
    OTH 4% (-)

We discussed this about 4 hours ago
    Did you what was the conclusion?
    That I had expected the gap to have closed more although Chris from YouGov said to wait for more polls so I am awaiting those taken entirely post speech to make a judgment.

I also said that I would expect polling parity by the end of the year and the usual suspects laughed at me, so I am clearly doing a great job

Favourability ratings for Boris and the government are dropping significantly and Starmer's favourability is improving. Changes in party support are lagging at the moment but may not continue to do so. As SO has said elsewhere the Labour Party is not going to restore trust overnight. My guess is that by the end of the year Starmer will have comfortably better ratings than Boris (if he's still there) and the gap between the parties will be very narrow.

Replacing the Corbynista Jenny Formby with David Evans as the new General Secretary today is another step in the right direction.
  • Options
    isam said:

No way is Keir Starmer so much more popular than Corbyn and Johnson so less popular than he was while he still leads as most preferred PM by Boris>Corbyn levels, which is also what they say

Anyone that bases their betting on whatever the polls say is a gullible idiot, and very easy to take money from
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,820
    rcs1000 said:
    So a month of 0.8<R<0.9 gets rid of 80% of the virus. That sounds encouraging. We dont need R around 0.5 or anything like that to make good progress (obviously great if it was).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:
    That isn't a comparable figure as the Italy figure is confirmed new cases, whereas I think the ONS is an estimate of actual.

Little doubt that Italy has fewer new cases than the UK, but not by a factor of 20+.
    No doubt the Italian figure is a wild underestimate. I wasn't the person who said there were fewer than 400 new cases a day in Italy!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

No way is so much more popular than Corbyn and Johnson so less popular than he was while he still leads as most preferred PM by Boris>Corbyn levels, which is also what they say

Indeed, but... you'd rather the nonsense polls were showing you a dozen points clear than a dozen points behind.
    I missed out the words "Keir Starmer" in the first line of the third paragraph their by the way.

I guess so, but it beggars belief doesn't it? Labour have a leader who is apparently miles more popular than his predecessor, yet is doing worse in hypothetical polls than they didnt in the GE at a time of completely unprecedented crisis.

Where are the other 7% that voted for Jezza in 2017?
  • Options

I don't know if anyone has posted this but these districts have reported no cases for the past six days:

1Basildon
    2Bassetlaw
    3Boston
    4Broxbourne
    5Chichester
    6City of London
    7Craven
    8East Cambridgeshire
    9East Devon
    10East Lindsey
    11Epsom and Ewell
    12Gosport
    13Malvern Hills
    14Milton Keynes
    16North Kesteven
    17North Lincolnshire
    18Rutland
    19Sevenoaks
    20South Cambridgeshire
    21South Gloucestershire
    22South Hams
    23South Holland
    24South Kesteven
    25Southend-on-Sea
    26Stevenage
    27Stratford-on-Avon
    28Tandridge
    29Teignbridge
    30Torbay
    31Torridge
    32West Devon
    33West Lindsey

Now some of those places have had low rates of infection throughout but another place where infection appears to be ending is Barrow:

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/126531816220942745

which has had by far the highest infection rate in England:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#category=ltlas&map=rate
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Cummings and Johnson could have exploited this fact. They could have been Hugh Grant with Robert Peston as Oprah Winfrey.

My wife (not political, hence I discuss politics here) said 'he should have just said he'd done what he'd done for his family, apologised for upsetting people and offered to make a donation to an NHS charity'.

Not a bad suggestion. If that had been done first thing then I think it would have taken the sting out of it completely.
    Yep. But the things you suggest obviously didn't factor in the game theory that Cummings was running last Friday.
  • Options

1Basildon
    2Bassetlaw
    3Boston
    4Broxbourne
    5Chichester
    6City of London
    7Craven
    8East Cambridgeshire
    9East Devon
    10East Lindsey
    11Epsom and Ewell
    12Gosport
    13Malvern Hills
    14Milton Keynes
    16North Kesteven
    17North Lincolnshire
    18Rutland
    19Sevenoaks
    20South Cambridgeshire
    21South Gloucestershire
    22South Hams
    23South Holland
    24South Kesteven
    25Southend-on-Sea
    26Stevenage
    27Stratford-on-Avon
    28Tandridge
    29Teignbridge
    30Torbay
    31Torridge
    32West Devon
    33West Lindsey

These are all Tory seats I think. Useless fact.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

CON 46% (-2)
    LAB 33% (+3)
    LD 8% (-)
    GRN 4% (-1)
    SNP 5% (-)
    BXP <1% (-)
    OTH 4% (-)

We discussed this about 4 hours ago
    Did you what was the conclusion?
    That I had expected the gap to have closed more although Chris from YouGov said to wait for more polls so I am awaiting those taken entirely post speech to make a judgment.

I also said that I would expect polling parity by the end of the year and the usual suspects laughed at me, so I am clearly doing a great job

Favourability ratings for Boris and the government are dropping significantly and Starmer's favourability is improving. Changes in party support are lagging at the moment but may not continue to do so. As SO has said elsewhere the Labour Party is not going to restore trust overnight. My guess is that by the end of the year Starmer will have comfortably better ratings than Boris (if he's still there) and the gap between the parties will be very narrow.

Replacing the Corbynista Jenny Formby with David Evans as the new General Secretary today is another step in the right direction.
    Boris is beating him on "preferred PM" by 17%. That cant be right given the leader ratings

Labour got 40% with Jezza in charge

It seems to be popular to dismiss that inconvenient fact, and peddle a myth of "trust that will take time to be restored", but a fact it remains. He took the party from 30.4% in 2015 to 40% in 2017
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
  • Options

It was murky but no convictions were there? No, I seem to recall from memory Blair was questioned by the Police but never charged and he never resigned.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,951

Onwards together BJO. I never had you standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the Bastanis of this world. Keir's to the left of me, but he is rational, smart, does not wince at the sight of a Union Jack and does not hang out with anti-Semites. Rejoice.

• Options
    The type of person who is getting infected is also important.

If its the young and healthy, because they are 'out and about', it doesn't matter much as they will put little strain on health resources while helping build herd immunity.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Andy_JS said:

1Basildon
    2Bassetlaw
    3Boston
    4Broxbourne
    5Chichester
    6City of London
    7Craven
    8East Cambridgeshire
    9East Devon
    10East Lindsey
    11Epsom and Ewell
    12Gosport
    13Malvern Hills
    14Milton Keynes
    16North Kesteven
    17North Lincolnshire
    18Rutland
    19Sevenoaks
    20South Cambridgeshire
    21South Gloucestershire
    22South Hams
    23South Holland
    24South Kesteven
    25Southend-on-Sea
    26Stevenage
    27Stratford-on-Avon
    28Tandridge
    29Teignbridge
    30Torbay
    31Torridge
    32West Devon
    33West Lindsey

These are all Tory seats I think. Useless fact.
    That was *exactly* my thought on seeing the list, too!
  • Options
    Question of the year:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1265354055301443587

I am in the Gupta of Oxford hypothesis camp, as in I think and certainly hope there is enough natural immunity and asymptomatic stuff to pretty much avoid a 2nd. But I am not betting on it.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

If its the young and healthy, because they are 'out and about', it doesn't matter much as they will put little strain on health resources while helping build herd immunity.
    Unless their out and about ness increases the R because they're asymptomatic and keep going out and about,....
  • Options

Now some of those places have had low rates of infection throughout but another place where infection appears to be ending is Barrow:

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1265318162209427459

Correct link added.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Quick reminder. "Boo for Boris" in 3 minutes at 8.

Be there or be square.
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

I missed out the words "Keir Starmer" in the first line of the third paragraph their by the way.

I guess so, but it beggars belief doesn't it? Labour have a leader who is apparently miles more popular than his predecessor, yet is doing worse in hypothetical polls than they didnt in the GE at a time of completely unprecedented crisis.

Where are the other 7% that voted for Jezza in 2017?
    It feels like the historical behaviours have been broken. The period between 2010-2015 looks like the last classical period where the popular Labour party stormed into a lead before seeing it gradually diminish as the election approached.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

I will be genuinely surprised if there are any people who've been fined for travelling to arrange emergency childcare. To my thinking, the police would just wave you on.

I wonder, though, if any have been fined for travelling from their primary address to a second home nearer to family with their child?

And I wonder if any of those has had symptoms at the time?
    "Is Cummings a twat?" So I hear.

"Did he flout the rules?" I guess so.

"Should he be fined £100?" I'd make it £200, just in case.

"Should he lose his job?" What? Over a £200 civil penalty? What planet are you on?
    That is a rather silly remark.

There are people on here who say Cummings didn't break the rules. But I don't think many are seriously suggesting that, if he did, he should not resign or be sacked (as have others in a prominent position who have breached the rules).

I think even the vast majority of his defenders would accept that it's really important that figures involved in setting the approach on this crisis don't undermine rules intended to protect public health by breaking the rules, as this clearly makes it much more difficult to secure compliance by the public to the rules and guidance as they develop.
    Even if Cummings did technically obey the rules when interpreted in fullest flexibility, in light of his particular circumstances, he still damaged the core message about the importance of staying at home if a family member has symptoms. He undermined the credibility of HMG just when it needs the public to respond to its public health advice. You can insist you're in the right on a very narrow individual level, yet know from the ensuing storm you've committed a political wrong: if you have to go for that, you might draw comfort from whatever personal justification you feel, but why expect it to save you?

If you work in politics you need to be able to play good politics. It’s a team game even if you don’t want it to be, particularly for those working at the top end rather than maverick backbenchers and one-man thinktankers. If you screw up basic politics and score an own goal, you’ve let down your allies, your cause, anyone who invested political capital in you, and every poor sod whose duty it’s now become to stick their head above the parapet to defend you for the indefensible. There are rules you were expected to follow. Don’t be seen to be hypocritical. Hold your tongue rather than say something outrage-provoking but in your view true, especially at a sensitive time. Don’t break cabinet responsibility. Don’t openly attack the leadership of your own party unless you think it’s time for a coup and you reckon you’ve got the numbers for it. Stay relentlessly on-message. Don’t create unnecessary drama. Don’t do your opponents’ work for you.

Dom Cummings just handed a king-sized gift-wrapped present to every opposition party. Even if what he did was legal on a technicality, even if it was the best thing for his family. Every government minister and MP called up to face the media rounds the last few days and defend the minutiae of Barnard Castlegate must feel like wringing his neck.

I’m not claiming those rules have deep moral authority, just that resigning and firing matters are best judged against them. I'm not even saying they're "good" rules. I’d rather MPs behaved less like mindless automata in their quest for promotion, and I think governments would enact fewer stupid policies if they faced more flak from their own side. Many attacks on political leaders are justified – even, perhaps especially, friendly-fire. Often politicians are too afraid to speak the honest truth on sensitive topics because they worry how it will go down with swing voters and focus groups, and the cementing of “unspeakable topics” means vital issues go uninvestigated. Hypocrisy can be the result of trying to do the right thing for you and your loved ones (in your judgement, but not necessarily the judgement of your colleagues, their policies, or the voters you face). Still, all these rules have evolved for a reason – politics is a brutal sport, and its dynamics punish those who breach them, whatever individual justification is invoked for each such infraction.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Question of the year:

I am in the Gupta of Oxford hypothesis camp, as in I think and certainly hope there is enough natural immunity and asymptomatic stuff to pretty much avoid a 2nd. But I am not betting on it.

Morgan is yearning for a second peak.

He doesn't even realise that lockdown ended two weeks ago.
  • Options
    The more the Corbynistas whinge the better it will be for Starmer.
  • Options
    backinthedhssbackinthedhss Posts: 83
    edited May 2020
    2020 to me means the media trying their hardest for a 'gotcha' instead of reporting the actual news. I want to listen to the news, not their views

Across all parties this is far and away the worst group of politicians I have known in my lifetime, only surpassed by the disgusting media
  • Options

I will be genuinely surprised if there are any people who've been fined for travelling to arrange emergency childcare. To my thinking, the police would just wave you on.

I wonder, though, if any have been fined for travelling from their primary address to a second home nearer to family with their child?

And I wonder if any of those has had symptoms at the time?
    "Is Cummings a twat?" So I hear.

"Did he flout the rules?" I guess so.

"Should he be fined £100?" I'd make it £200, just in case.

"Should he lose his job?" What? Over a £200 civil penalty? What planet are you on?
    Breathtakingly anal.
  • Options

It was murky but no convictions were there? No, I seem to recall from memory Blair was questioned by the Police but never charged and he never resigned.
    The timing of Blair's departure was very much influenced by Cash-for-Honours. It's obviously not in his resignation letter, but yes it was a big part of him going that early in the term.

I'm genuinely interested in your approach to it - to be clear, you just think "no foul, no resignation, says nothing about the state of politics and the Labour Party in 2007, all a witch-hunt really as it turns out"?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep. But the things you suggest obviously didn't factor in the game theory that Cummings was running last Friday.
    Not my suggestion, I was passing it on as I found it interesting.

Personally I think he's been overly honest over the whole thing. He's basically from the start responded with a "f***k off, leave me alone and mind your own business" - which I can understand given what he'd been through but it was awful politics.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chris said:

Saw what seemed like a reasonable rule of thumb: high-testing countries will detect maybe half of symptomatics, then add 50% for the rest. That'd put us on ~6k/day today, and declining at ~5%/day (or ~80%/month). Be nice if that rate continued for a bit, really stamp this thing into the ground.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Unless their out and about ness increases the R because they're asymptomatic and keep going out and about,....
    There have been asymptomatic people throughout.

After a while they stop infecting other people and many of the people they do infect will not be asymptomatic and who will consequently self-isolate when they suspect they are infected.
  • Options

The timing of Blair's departure was very much influenced by Cash-for-Honours. It's obviously not in his resignation letter, but yes it was a big part of him going that early in the term.

I'm genuinely interested in your approach to it - to be clear, you just think "no foul, no resignation, says nothing about the state of politics and the Labour Party in 2007, all a witch-hunt really as it turns out"?
    It was murky and there was a foul in that money was returned etc, but yeah I don't think anyone had to resign over it. Had anyone been convicted they obviously would have had to.
  • Options

Question of the year:

Morgan is yearning for a second peak.

He doesn't even realise that lockdown ended two weeks ago.
    He's a prat. He wants to be in the story, not reporting the story.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

No tack-spitting here. Starmer's still broadly enjoying a honeymoon with us Corbynites as well, of course with exceptions. We recognise the need to professionalise the party.
    I'm incredulous Nick....
    Corbyn and his group of malcontents turned the Labour Party into a joke...a sort of student protest group....

I really hope the Corbynites become so disillusioned that they just fuck off to some fringe organisation where they belong....

I'm still in no mood for reconciliation comrade....
  • Options
    OllyT said:

The more the Corbynistas whinge the better it will be for Starmer.
    Green surge
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:
    As I said, fine him the same as everyone else - the equivalent of a parking ticket

Broke the lockdown to pop round my parents earlier, sat in the garden for an hour,,, they're both 73 and my 76 yr old uncle was there. When I asked about Cummings, my Dad said "hate him", when I disagreed my Mum had to go inside out of disgust! Their take was that he should be the last person to break the rules, having had a hand in creating them.

I pointed out that we were all breaking lockdown rules at that very moment, but it didn't cut any ice. My Tory voting uncle agreed with me and thought it was a storm in a teacup, but the conservatives cant count on persuading my 100% Labour voting parents to change the habit of a lifetime in 2024
    You have a very sensible family, Sam, nothing more than we've been telling you all this time.

Still at the rebellious phase perhaps?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Be there or be square.

Did you have fun? Do you feel big or clever?

Or are you a big square?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Just looking through the by specimen date testing data and I think England is definitely through the worst of it. Under 1000 new cases per day in England and dropping rapidly down to just 500 per day.

The by death date hospital deaths report has a very similar story, I think we're actually under 100 hospital deaths per day in England and under 150 total deaths per day. Interestingly there hasn't been a rise in community transmission after the VE Day celebrations that everyone was so worried about. In fact new cases and deaths have continued to fall fairly rapidly since then. I also think that the lockdown since then has been extremely loose and we've not seen a rise in new cases.

It's a real shame that the government is getting distracted by this Cummings bullshit because there is finally some really positive news on the virus and I think as a nation our sacrifices have begun to pay off and we can start getting back to normal. Social distancing indoors and do what you like outdoors seems to result in an R of around 0.8-0.9 which means it will take 5-6 more weeks to get the new cases down to a negligible amount but it means we can open up beer gardens, cafés and other outdoor venues.

Shamefully we're now going to spend the next week on whether or not one arsehole gets the sack or not instead of finally moving on from lockdown.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    The media except those dickhead photographers in front of his house and 'led by dickheads'.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Talking this over with the in laws as well as my own folks, I think the reason I cant get angry about Cummings is that I wouldn't care even if he (and the same goes for the Scottish CMO, and Prince Charles, and the Queen) had just gone to his second home for lockdown because it was nicer. Ultimately I think people with second homes should have been allowed to go there if they wanted to, and the only reason this was not permitted was to blind us to the fact the virus puts a "stealth tax" on the poor and relief to the rich.

But that's life.
  • Options

If Blair was unconcerned about the Bernie Ecclestone bung I doubt he was overly bothered about cash for honours.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The first 2 results somewhat contradict BluestBlue's assertion that the nation stands four-square behind him/her opinions on Cummings and the media.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,264
    edited May 2020

It was murky and there was a foul in that money was returned etc, but yeah I don't think anyone had to resign over it. Had anyone been convicted they obviously would have had to.
    You've not actually answered my question... which is your prerogative but, in case you missed it:

Do you personally think there should have been no resignations? And do you really yourself think, "no foul, no resignation, says nothing about the state of politics and the Labour Party in 2007, all a witch-hunt really as it turns out"?

I mean, it's the clear logic of your position, but seems extremely odd as a position to me.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Maybe we should all put a note in our diaries to look back in this three months from now, compare it to the prorogation debate/senseless arm-thrashing, and see if there's anything to learn from comparing these two events.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    isam said:

Talking this over with the in laws as well as my own folks, I think the reason I cant get angry about Cummings is that I wouldn't care even if he (and the same goes for the Scottish CMO) had just gone to his parents for liockdown because it was nicer. Ultimately I think people with second homes should have been allowed to go there if they wanted to, and the only reason this was not permitted was to blind us to the "stealth tax" the virus puts on the poor and relief it gives to the rich. But that's just life

I quite agree. It's probably better for people to be in second homes as they tend to be in the country, and it's probably more difficult to spread a virus if people are in low density areas than in big cities.

The other reason I can't particularly give a damn is that I've been ignoring lockdown restrictions myself so it would be hypocritical of me to care if he does.
  • Options
    Didn't May suffer from the same problem? So utterly reliant on a tiny tiny set of advisors that she could not listen to anyone else or bear the thought of them not being in the room at every meeting.

Sounds f*cking familiar to me.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

isam said:

Talking this over with the in laws as well as my own folks, I think the reason I cant get angry about Cummings is that I wouldn't care even if he (and the same goes for the Scottish CMO) had just gone to his parents for liockdown because it was nicer. Ultimately I think people with second homes should have been allowed to go there if they wanted to, and the only reason this was not permitted was to blind us to the "stealth tax" the virus puts on the poor and relief it gives to the rich. But that's just life

I quite agree. It's probably better for people to be in second homes as they tend to be in the country, and it's probably more difficult to spread a virus if people are in low density areas than in big cities.

The other reason I can't particularly give a damn is that I've been ignoring lockdown restrictions myself so it would be hypocritical of me to care if he does.
    The issue is that services are distributed on usually resident population. There was a potential danger of hospitals away from London being put under pressure by having to deal with more people than expected.
  • Options

If Blair was unconcerned about the Bernie Ecclestone bung I doubt he was overly bothered about cash for honours.
    It's not whether Blair was somehow morally bothered or not. The fact is that the whiff of sleaze and corruption around the then PM enabled Brown to lever him out a good couple of years before he'd intended to go.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    tlg86 said:

Fishing said:

isam said:

The issue is that services are distributed on usually resident population. There was a potential danger of hospitals away from London being put under pressure by having to deal with more people than expected.
    But I don't think hospital capacity has been short anywhere, has it? Though the government has been incredibly cagey with those statistics.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Fishing said:

isam said:

If people pay council tax in both their homes then there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Starmer doing much better in Wales and Scotland than in his home country:

Net favourability (Survation):

Wales +28
    Scotland +23
    England +16
    NI -8

The Scottish splits are utterly horrific for the SCons: a poor 3rd and heading for wipeout. Again.

SLab will be tremendously encouraged by these polls.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    isam said:

Talking this over with the in laws as well as my own folks, I think the reason I cant get angry about Cummings is that I wouldn't care even if he (and the same goes for the Scottish CMO, and Prince Charles, and the Queen) had just gone to his second home for lockdown because it was nicer. Ultimately I think people with second homes should have been allowed to go there if they wanted to, and the only reason this was not permitted was to blind us to the fact the virus puts a "stealth tax" on the poor and relief to the rich.

But that's life.

Second homers come out of London, say, infection hotspot. Go To rural location And then have to go to local supermarket spreading the infection if they have it. Not a good idea which is why we didn’t want the second homers from Madrid to come
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Be there or be square.

Or are you a big square?
    It was MASSIVE round here. Could hardly hear myself think.

Clearly will run and run - so see you next Tuesday basically.
  • Options

Wales +28
    Scotland +23
    England +16
    NI -8

The Scottish splits are utterly horrific for the SCons: a poor 3rd and heading for wipeout. Again.

Starmer's slightly po-faced and humourless demeanour would go down well in Wales and Scotland I imagine.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    MaxPB said:

Just looking through the by specimen date testing data and I think England is definitely through the worst of it. Under 1000 new cases per day in England and dropping rapidly down to just 500 per day.

The by death date hospital deaths report has a very similar story, I think we're actually under 100 hospital deaths per day in England and under 150 total deaths per day. Interestingly there hasn't been a rise in community transmission after the VE Day celebrations that everyone was so worried about. In fact new cases and deaths have continued to fall fairly rapidly since then. I also think that the lockdown since then has been extremely loose and we've not seen a rise in new cases.

It's a real shame that the government is getting distracted by this Cummings bullshit because there is finally some really positive news on the virus and I think as a nation our sacrifices have begun to pay off and we can start getting back to normal. Social distancing indoors and do what you like outdoors seems to result in an R of around 0.8-0.9 which means it will take 5-6 more weeks to get the new cases down to a negligible amount but it means we can open up beer gardens, cafés and other outdoor venues.

Shamefully we're now going to spend the next week on whether or not one arsehole gets the sack or not instead of finally moving on from lockdown.

The numbers are moving in the right direction but if I am any guide a lot of people are still very wary and keeping contact with others to a minimum and respecting social distancing.

There have been a minority who I suspect have not throughout all this but out on my walk today people generally playing by the rules and if that continues we can gradually ease through the summer.

Behaviours have changed and people have adapted. That is something human beings are very good at. Thee still seems some primal urge among a minority to go back to status quo ante but that doesn't recognise or understand the world has changed and is changing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Fishing said:

isam said:

If people pay council tax in both their homes then there shouldn't be a problem.
    True, though I guess that's not applicable to Cummings.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,102
    edited May 2020

Wales +28
    Scotland +23
    England +16
    NI -8

The SNP should be more worried about that polling than the Tories. Even with a UK wide majority the Tories do not win Scotland.

Labour however had a majority of seats in Scotland just 10 years ago
  • Options

Wales +28
    Scotland +23
    England +16
    NI -8

You're not looking at Scottish subsamples are you :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    isam said:

But that's life.

Of course. And they were allowed to go there. Or were not forbidden in law from going.

It's just that I can't get past the do as I say not as I do thing. There were only a few people involved in actually setting up the law and he was one of them.
  • Options

1Basildon
    2Bassetlaw
    3Boston
    4Broxbourne
    5Chichester
    6City of London
    7Craven
    8East Cambridgeshire
    9East Devon
    10East Lindsey
    11Epsom and Ewell
    12Gosport
    13Malvern Hills
    14Milton Keynes
    16North Kesteven
    17North Lincolnshire
    18Rutland
    19Sevenoaks
    20South Cambridgeshire
    21South Gloucestershire
    22South Hams
    23South Holland
    24South Kesteven
    25Southend-on-Sea
    26Stevenage
    27Stratford-on-Avon
    28Tandridge
    29Teignbridge
    30Torbay
    31Torridge
    32West Devon
    33West Lindsey

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/126531816220942745

They have a drug problem in Barrow. Might have made some people more vulnerable to other illnesses.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The media may be losing their minds, but we are moving on. Both my children are returning to education next week [nursery has been in touch now to confirm they're reopening]. Shops are reopening soon. The media may not know what matters, but I think people do.

The media wants blood but people are looking to the future not the past. Next week expect more announcements on lifting the lockdown and only an idiot will still be talking about Cummings by the end of next week IMHO. Already the sting has gone.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

isam said:

But that's life.

Second homers come out of London, say, infection hotspot. Go To rural location And then have to go to local supermarket spreading the infection if they have it. Not a good idea which is why we didn’t want the second homers from Madrid to come
    Don't the English second homers bring their food with them as its unavailable at the local Asda ?

Or so its claimed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Be there or be square.

Or are you a big square?
    It was MASSIVE round here. Could hardly hear myself think.

Clearly will run and run - so see you next Tuesday basically.
    See you next Tuesday all around from the sound of it.
This discussion has been closed.