Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s been definite damage to Boris Johnson in the polls fol

Comments

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    TGOHF666 said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

RobD said:

But for the greater good. Perhaps a test can be administered after a few days to see if they do have it?
    Christ - wait until the lockdown snitch Stasis get a load of that- the curtains will be twitching and the hotline to the Covid Police buzzing.

"He's going to the shop after 6.34 days ! "

My prediction: the people who have been whining the loudest for the lockdown to be relaxed will also whine the loudest about the tracing and isolation operation that's necessary to relax it.
    Tracking and tracing and ADVISING people to stay home is fine.

Putting them under house arrest is not.

I'm afraid Mr Cummings has just given us ample proof that you can't trust people to put the public good above their own - even when they wrote the bloody rules!
    Yes - we cannot trust people to work for the glorious revolution - hence why we must spy on them and "re-educate" them in special camps if required.

Can you explain to me why it is wrong for the Scots to do that and right for the English to do that? I'd really like to know.
    Find people, test them - if positive they stay in.

Scottish approach seems to be - have a different system because TOARIES - find people, cant test them because testing rates are so low - so lock everyone up.

Don't restart construction
    Don't open retail
    Don't open schools
    Don't open golf courses
    Don't open flipping garden centres.

It's like January in Wuhan - but without the exotic cuisine.
    Actually from Friday golf courses, garden centres and construction all re-open albeit construction is phased with it fully re-opening in phase 2 (hopefully in 3 weeks time).
    Schools are due to start the summer holidays in 4 weeks and are going to go back a week earlier in the Autumn so they have decided not to re-open just now.

As for retail I am totally with you. We could be another 6 weeks before we see non-essential large retailers open having been put into phase 3 of the Scottish government's plan. In many ways they have an easier path to keep social distancing than smaller retailers who hopefully get to re-open in 3 weeks time ie on the Friday after shops open in England.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,101
    edited May 2020
    Yes Fieldwork taken Friday until today, so we will only see next weekend what the full impact of this Friday's events have been.

However at the moment while damaging to the Tories this story does not look fatal
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    The last two or three days on here have been utterly dull.

Instead of yakking on about some overpromoted twerp who went for a drive, and utterly pointless early-term opinion polls, can we discuss how to get out of lockdown?

Especially in London where new cases / deaths are at trace levels.

There are pubs to be opened, hotels to visit and places to go.

Get us out of this lockdown!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    A Scottish Green MSP has lodged a complaint with Durham Police in England?

Wow, that's genuine and locally driven and not a partisan politician witch hunt at all (!)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Scott_xP said:

Wow, that's genuine and locally driven and not a partisan politician witch hunt at all (!)
    I think it's a mistake. The last thing they want is for the police to say "not worth the hassle."
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Honestly if Kier wasn't a loony lefty on social policy I'd probably consider voting for Labour at the moment.

Keir!

K-E-I-R
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

MaxPB said:

Honestly if Kier wasn't a loony lefty on social policy I'd probably consider voting for Labour at the moment.

Keir!

K-E-I-R
    Who?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

TGOHF666 said:

https://unherd.com/thepost/slowly-but-surely-britain-is-turning-into-america/

" I get that, but everything about the response is pushing us closer to the rotting cadaver that is American political debate. Partisans frightened to live in certain areas because they have become so tribal; institutions such as the civil service and Church being dragged into politics and so wrecking the power of social institutions; journalists losing all sense of proportion or pretence at even-handedness as the media heads towards hyper-partisanship."

The great irony of course is that few people have done more to nurture a US-style culture war in the UK than Cummings with the crass populism of Vote Leave. The culture war is central to US right wing politics because it is the means of winning majority support for policies benefiting a wealthy elite. It was only a matter of time before it was imported to the UK, especially since a fair amount of US billionaire money is involved here too.
    Personally I didn't like the sight of him being jeered by his neighbours and certainly hope he comes to no physical harm, but I understand and indeed share their rage.
    Not to mention Farage and Banks kissing Trump's arse every chance they got, although I suspect they are frantically trying to pretend that never happened now.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Interesting piece in the Times this morning about the test and trace capability in Germany, apologies if already discussed. Essentially consists of proven processes, low technology, managed by teams of decentralised, Public Health professionals who have worked together supplemented by public sector staff on secondment. As opposed to trying to invent something bespoke, unproven, using public sector IT procurement to stitch together inexperienced developers with centrally decreed requirements, manned by call centre staff answering anonymous adverts who arrive for training in advance if process or system. But at least it will be world class.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germanys-corona-detectives-led-way-out-of-lockdown-2wkrwtfdv?shareToken=f547a58e558159c92cea3bea00b1ff78
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    TGOHF666 said:
    These kind of letters are so dumb. Does he think the police don't read the press or something?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,012

Scott_xP said:

He won't have been the only person to do so...
  • Options
    On topic, after Black Wednesday on 16th September 1992 the Tories never had a poll lead again until election day 1997

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it's a mistake. The last thing they want is for the police to say "not worth the hassle."
    Yes - Labour have been much smarter - keeping the thing on a long slow simmer. When the Durham Constabulary replies "no further action" Cummings defenders will shout that from the rooftops. And the Guardian will put it on p19 bottom left (if at all).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

DougSeal said:

Fighting like tats in a sack! Although that being so Ellwood is an urbane, rather agreeable rodent.
    Number 10's contempt for democratic norms is shameless.
    No yours is. The electorate returned the conservatives with a big majority, why should they behave like the media that clearly hasn't accepted that result want them to?

IF the electorate want Boris & co out that is their privilege.
    The people upset the most now with Boris etc are the same losers who were upset when he won the election. Funny that.
    That is clearly rubbish. The upset crosses party lines and you well know it. Denying it will not make that fact go away.
    Irony alert! Person who spends his time 24/7 on a political blogging site refers to others as "losers". Take the beam out of thine own eye Mr Thompson. lol.
    Do you have any hobbies? Discussing politics online is a hobby of mine. And we won, not lost.
    You mean you do all this for free?
  • Options
    Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Fighting like tats in a sack! Although that being so Ellwood is an urbane, rather agreeable rodent.
    Number 10's contempt for democratic norms is shameless.
    No yours is. The electorate returned the conservatives with a big majority, why should they behave like the media that clearly hasn't accepted that result want them to?

IF the electorate want Boris & co out that is their privilege.
    The people upset the most now with Boris etc are the same losers who were upset when he won the election. Funny that.
    That is clearly rubbish. The upset crosses party lines and you well know it. Denying it will not make that fact go away.
    Irony alert! Person who spends his time 24/7 on a political blogging site refers to others as "losers". Take the beam out of thine own eye Mr Thompson. lol.
    Do you have any hobbies? Discussing politics online is a hobby of mine. And we won, not lost.
    You mean you do all this for free?
    Don't we all?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

This letter published in The National - basically the SNP house newspaper - is just typical of the unctuous self-regarding anti-English sentiment that now openly permeates Scottish society after 12 years of SNP government. Don't think Southrons really understand the terms of trade up here.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18460257.nationals-comment-piece-easy-nts-neil-oliver/

I can't read the whole letter because I don't subscribe to the National. I assume that means you do which is...funny.

It seems to be about Neil Oliver who isn't afaicr English. I guess it's hardly going to be complimentary about someone who called the possibility of a second indy ref 'cancerous'.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    HYUFD said:

On topic, after Black Wednesday on 16th September 1992 the Tories never had a poll lead again until election day 1997

Wrong. From your own link they led with ICM in January 1993 for example.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

He won't have been the only person to do so...
    Good. If the Police show the law was broken and he gets convicted he should go. If they don't he shouldn't.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Well, I'm back.

So, Cummings' statement yesterday having put his bizarre actions to bed, what have you been talking about all day?
  • Options

Instead of yakking on about some overpromoted twerp who went for a drive, and utterly pointless early-term opinion polls, can we discuss how to get out of lockdown?

As a foreigner who's lived in London for more than 2 decades - and occasionally loves it - I'm now going to sound like I'm running it down.

The city is a problem. The over-packed Tube, the hordes of tourists, they're all going to cause a big second wave if one happens. You need it reopen it slowly and carefully. (i.e. We're a bunch of special snowflakes!)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    The Tories also had a poll lead in October 1992, with ICM.
  • Options

This letter published in The National - basically the SNP house newspaper - is just typical of the unctuous self-regarding anti-English sentiment that now openly permeates Scottish society after 12 years of SNP government. Don't think Southrons really understand the terms of trade up here.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18460257.nationals-comment-piece-easy-nts-neil-oliver/

I can't read the whole letter because I don't subscribe to the National. I assume that means you do which is...funny.

It seems to be about Neil Oliver who isn't afaicr English. I guess it's hardly going to be complimentary about someone who called the possibility of a second indy ref 'cancerous'.
    I'm English, and living in Scotland, don't subscribe to the National and am not a member of the SNP - Neil Oliver is a right pillock.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,486

Yes but we can bet on whether said overpromoted twerp will still have a job next week. Best prices are 4/9 yes; 5/2 no. I've backed Cummings both to stay and to go. My betting is pro having cake and pro eating it, as a wise man once said.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Keir!

K-E-I-R
    It's so simple.

Keir Ends In R
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,534

Getting out of lockdown is simple.
    1 Get case numbers down to manageably low. Lockdown is achieving this, but it takes time. Tough.
    2 Have an effective test'n'track system. That's eminently doable, but the best way to get there is Keep It Simple. People, not apps- at least to start with.
    3 Have lots of masks and handgel available.
    4 Work out what to do with tricky situations. If lots of people meet indoors and sing loudly, they shouldn't. Which activities can't happen, and how does the community help people working in them?

It's simple but boring stuff. Less fun than "let's make an app" or "reopen shops in 3 weeks" but it's the way out.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I have just been talking to my neighbour who used to work in the Heath Service and is still very well connected there. She tells me that there are currently 13, repeat 13 Covid patients in Tayside, population roughly half a million. All of the doctors and nurses who were conscripted into a front line that barely even came are being returned to their normal duties on Monday.

There is indeed a scandal here and its got F all to do with Cummings. The local economy is being trashed, businesses are collapsing, jobs are being lost, the future tax base is being destroyed and for what? On Thursday we will be allowed to have contact with another household provided it is outside and social distancing is being maintained. Shops remain closed, hundreds of thousands of Scots are on furlough being paid by the government for doing nothing and debt is spiralling out of control.

A political class too pusillanimous to make a decision in case someone holds them responsible are doing absolutely untold damage to this country. Enough. End the lockdown now while there are still some jobs to go back to.

The numbers have dwindled to super low levels in some areas David. Yet this is barely being discussed because of the Cummings row. The row is perfect for Lockdown Extremists because it distracts from the numbers!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wrong. From your own link they led with ICM in January 1993 for example.
    OK one poll in almost 5 years
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

I'm not sure you can sling the accusation of dullness around since your every post appears to boil down to you wanting a pint. I can sympathise with the urge, but it's, well, not very interesting.
  • Options

The Tories also had a poll lead in October 1992, with ICM.

No, that was a tie, 38% each
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,486
    ydoethur said:

Well, I'm back.

So, Cummings' statement yesterday having put his bizarre actions to bed, what have you been talking about all day?

The Scots want to sack some Scottish bloke off the telly.
  • Options

1 Get case numbers down to manageably low. Lockdown is achieving this, but it takes time. Tough.
    2 Have an effective test'n'track system. That's eminently doable, but the best way to get there is Keep It Simple. People, not apps- at least to start with.
    4 Work out what to do with tricky situations. If lots of people meet indoors and sing loudly, they shouldn't. Which activities can't happen, and how does the community help people working in them?

It's simple but boring stuff. Less fun than "let's make an app" or "reopen shops in 3 weeks" but it's the way out.
    The numbers are already at manageable lows. My three NHS mates tell me there is nothing to do on Covid wards. Get on with the rest.

Ban churches and singing indoors. Keep nightclubs shut. Open pubs with beer gardens.

Get on with it.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

I'm not sure you can sling the accusation of dullness around since your every post appears to boil down to you wanting a pint. I can sympathise with the urge, but it's, well, not very interesting.
    It's boiled down to:

"I want to go to the pub, therefore lockdown must be wrong because...

- There's not a problem
    - Sweden's done it fine
    - Some professor says it's all over and the maximum death toll will be under seven thousand
    - I'm all right Jack, pull the ladder up (what do you mean, under 60s might be reasonably likely to be so ill, they'll be hospitalised - no, they almost always recover so they're practically immune)
    - Oh, I'm just bored, open the pubs"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

It is indeed about Dr Oliver. The complaint is not about the English but about the letter-writer's perception that the NTS has too often picked from a highly specific sector of society - often highly Anglicised upper middle classes, disproportionately English-born. It's not that they are English per se, but the worry that the country's culture is being run from overseas, so to speak.

That is, however, a letter in the letter column, so not necessarily what he editor thinks. And it's not so different in its spirit from the commentator on PB (a Tory, I think) who praised Mr Ross MP for not coming from the usual upper middle classes of Scottish Tory society (IIRC or am I getting confused)?

As Mr Burgessian should know full well, there are plenty of English-born and bred Scots in the SNP and in the independence movement. And I wouldn't call the National the SNP house journal. It's more like the Greens/RISE one at times, and the letter was in response to an article by Michael Fry - a right wing pro-indy commentator.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    edited May 2020
    DavidL said:

I have just been talking to my neighbour who used to work in the Heath Service and is still very well connected there. She tells me that there are currently 13, repeat 13 Covid patients in Tayside, population roughly half a million. All of the doctors and nurses who were conscripted into a front line that barely even came are being returned to their normal duties on Monday.

There is indeed a scandal here and its got F all to do with Cummings. The local economy is being trashed, businesses are collapsing, jobs are being lost, the future tax base is being destroyed and for what? On Thursday we will be allowed to have contact with another household provided it is outside and social distancing is being maintained. Shops remain closed, hundreds of thousands of Scots are on furlough being paid by the government for doing nothing and debt is spiralling out of control.

A political class too pusillanimous to make a decision in case someone holds them responsible are doing absolutely untold damage to this country. Enough. End the lockdown now while there are still some jobs to go back to.

Totally agree with this, but the reality is that Nicola seems very risk adverse (as many of the more passionate "get independance now" part of the SNP will attestify)

Therefore we are going to see the slowest re-opening of any part of Europe taking place here. We are probably on track to reach phase 3 of the Scottish government's plan in mid-July but parts of it will not be reached until August.
  • Options

Well maybe so, and in which case, I apologise, but there’s a big problem brewing here (excuse the pun), and we need to sort it out.

We can’t keep the catering sector shuttered, nor can we shutter holiday lets in the middle of summer.

A plan is required, sharpish.
  • Options

It's boiled down to:

"I want to go to the pub, therefore lockdown must be wrong because...

- There's not a problem
    - Sweden's done it fine
    - Some professor says it's all over and the maximum death toll will be under seven thousand
    - I'm all right Jack, pull the ladder up (what do you mean, under 60s might be reasonably likely to be so ill, they'll be hospitalised - no, they almost always recover so they're practically immune)
    - Oh, I'm just bored, open the pubs"
    Really, that’s not the case.

Daft post.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Lets see which journos can inform the public with a non-Dom question.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,100
  • Options
    Ouch! "Will the government review all childcare fines levied during the lockdown" - first question from a member of the public.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This is moral authority breaking down in front of your eyes:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1265315930806136836?s=20
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Well, I'm back.

The Scots want to sack some Scottish bloke off the telly.
    So it’s still about whether a northerner on the box should get the sack.

Why’s this? Did he drive from Edinburgh to Inverness to quarantine and then decide to drive to Fort Augustus to check his eyesight was OK?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    DavidL said:

Great post, in the majority of areas hospitals never even got close to struggling, and now they are sitting empty with thousands of closed wards throughout the nation. The clap on Thursdays is now for health workers who have never done so little at work in their lives. My wife worked yesterday and on her ward by 11.30am they had no patients. 9 trained staff and no patients!!

The problem with politicians making a decision is that the press will do everything possible to undermine that decision, as with Boris just gently reducing the lockdown three weeks ago. The press went mad, "experts" were bought in, polls showing the public did not support the loosening were done. If Boris had not reduced the lockdown then the press would have been equally as angry and would have interviewed different "experts" who would have said the opposite.

People have definitely got too used to Furlough, which while a great scheme, has introduced a false sense of security. People need to return to work now or they will not have a job to go back too.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,534

The numbers are already at manageable lows. My three NHS mates tell me there is nothing to do on Covid wards. Get on with the rest.

Ban churches and singing indoors. Keep nightclubs shut. Open pubs with beer gardens.

Get on with it.
    Sort out test'n'track, and I'd agree with you. The WHO were saying that back in February, and it's depressing how slow the progress on tracking infrastructure has been.

Trouble has been the focus on gimmicks that haven't really worked over unglamorous stuff that will.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,100
    TGOHF666 said:

And the first question from the public, was about Dom.

Unlucky
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Ouch! "Will the government review all childcare fines levied during the lockdown" - first question from a member of the public.

Maybe says Hancock
  • Options
  • Options
    Laura avoids Covid at the Covid briefing and sticks to Dom.

Move on love.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Saltire said:

DavidL said:

Totally with this, but the reality is that Nicola seems very risk adverse (as many of the more passionate "get independance now" part of the SNP will attestify)

Therefore we are going to see the slowest re-opening of any part of Europe taking place here. We are probably on track to reach phase 3 of the Scottish government's plan in mid-July but parts of it will not be reached until August.
    It just won't do. Boris is not much better. We need to get a grip on risk. Maybe one way of ending this interminable distraction would be the passing of a retrospective pardon for everyone breaching these frankly absurd lockdown regulations.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Just goes to show they don't vet the questions or see them in advance.

And of course LauraK goes on a Cummings question....and gets the standard reply and we're no wiser...
  • Options
    LOL love Hancock's short, sharp answer to Robert Preston.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    Scott_xP said:
    Is he asking for him to resign.

I would be very pleased if he came out publically demanding it
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Well, yes, thank you Jeremy. We had all* got that far.

The issue is what happens next.

*Well, apart from Cummings, Johnson and our supremely supine AG, obviously.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Philip Davies. My my.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

TGOHF666 said:

Unlucky
    Yes - anyone hoping for an update on Covid or the economy will be disappointed.

Peston goes back to the same boring old topic - and gets swatted.

LBC bore on regardless..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Yet again, cutting off journalists. No follow up for Peston. Just cut the signal.

This is like the Trump administration.

• Options

DavidL said:

Great post, in the majority of areas hospitals never even got close to struggling, and now they are sitting empty with thousands of closed wards throughout the nation. The clap on Thursdays is now for health workers who have never done so little at work in their lives. My wife worked yesterday and on her ward by 11.30am they had no patients. 9 trained staff and no patients!!

The problem with politicians making a decision is that the press will do everything possible to undermine that decision, as with Boris just gently reducing the lockdown three weeks ago. The press went mad, "experts" were bought in, polls showing the public did not support the loosening were done. If Boris had not reduced the lockdown then the press would have been equally as angry and would have interviewed different "experts" who would have said the opposite.

People have definitely got too used to Furlough, which while a great scheme, has introduced a false sense of security. People need to return to work now or they will not have a job to go back too.
    If PB is anything to go by, people are massively overestimating the risks of Covid compared to other risks we all face in our daily lives. The media is almost certainly to blame for whipping up extreme fearfulness. It’s very hard to get people back to some sort of rationality and balance.
  • Options
    Pesto slapped down "We had childcare available and Mr Cummings didn't" and no supplementary question!
  • Options
    Hancock gets face on with Peston

He says Cummings had no child care options in London

Cummings said he hadnt asked anyone
  • Options

LOL love Hancock's short, sharp answer to Robert Preston.

That was very funny. Pesto is worse than useless.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    TGOHF666 said:

Move on love.

She's the Minister for Tory propaganda according to my nuttier friends on the left.
  • Options
    Hancock making these tunnel vision journos look daft.

• Options

Get on with it.
    Sort out test'n'track, and I'd agree with you. The WHO were saying that back in February, and it's depressing how slow the progress on tracking infrastructure has been.

Trouble has been the focus on gimmicks that haven't really worked over unglamorous stuff that will.
    Agree with that completely. The much vaunted app on June 1 is likely to be a bust I am told. Get Apple to build one and bloody well get moving.
  • Options
    Here comes Adrian Mole with another dumb question.

Inform the public you tossers.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Move on love.

I think your last sentence is demeaning and misogynistic
  • Options

Hancock gets face on with Peston

He says Cummings had no child care options in London

Cummings said he hadnt asked anyone

Hancock claims he had childcare available at home. Does he live with his parents?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Pesto slapped down "We had childcare available and Mr Cummings didn't" and no supplementary question!

Not true though is it

Hancocks sentance should be

"We had childcare available and Mr Cummings didn't" bother to ask
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Good, but it could have been better. Could have been Barnard Castle and ‘if you can read this, you don’t need to be here.’
  • Options
    Hancock sent Peston out for pies and Bovril.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Hancock

How has it come to this

Sack him Boris or resign yourself
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020
    Today will be the second day in a row where none of the top 5 in new deaths are in Europe (USA, Brazil, Mexico, Russia, India). Possibly even top 6 today, with Ecuador/Peru still to report.

Also, UK just overtook Germany/Spain on total test count.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

DavidL said:

If PB is anything to go by, people are massively overestimating the risks of Covid compared to other risks we all face in our daily lives. The media is almost certainly to blame for whipping up extreme fearfulness. It’s very hard to get people back to some sort of rationality and balance.
    The problem with furlough is that it is basically welfare - and it is very difficult to get people off welfare due to the 'I want something for nothing' mentality which is so prevalent

The government needs to show greater leadership and decisiveness here to get people and economy back to work
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Move on love.

I think your last sentence is demeaning and misogynistic
    Well, he got the racism in at the start today, tribalism in the middle and misogyny now.

All we need is a bit of homophobia and he will have ‘House.’
  • Options
    LOL. Top question.

Hancock relaxed for a second as he thought it wasn't about Cummings and his famous instincts
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2020

Get on with it.

Agree with that completely. The much vaunted app on June 1 is likely to be a bust I am told. Get Apple to build one and bloody well get moving.
    Although I think Big Dom should have gone straight away, all the wibbling about if he touched a petrol pump or stopped for a whizz at the side of the road could be "endangering lives", is basically bollocks compared to weeks of delay on the app. That is genuinely endangering lives every day it isn't out there.
  • Options
    Sounds like the English track and trace system will be voluntary.

Good.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,763
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Good, but it could have been better. Could have been Barnard Castle and ‘if you can read this, you don’t need to be here.’
    This is surely too good to be true:

https://twitter.com/BritIslesTales/status/1264965357447581698?s=09
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    TGOHF666 said:

Hancock making these tunnel vision journos look daft.

So says a poster who has such a broad view of the world that he swallows any old crap that the current government serves up for his gullible consumption
This discussion has been closed.