Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From a betting perspective the dangers of “fighting the last w

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

So where am I supposed to buy a mask from?

Amazon?
    And is a “dust” mask sufficient?
    If it helps stop droplets, probably? I can see surgical masks for sale on there.
    The lead times are not quick. I can see there being big supply issues going forward.
    Yep, but this has been trailed for weeks now. But look around, you'll be able to find some if you really need/want some.
    I don’t actually want any, but if the Government is going to insist, they have to be readily available...
    They are available on Amazon if you dont want to DIY it. Not the hardest thing to find.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the redacted SAGE documents if is probably information that says something like masks do reduce transmission, but concern over supplies to front line staff mean we will recommend ....

I haven't heard any plans from the government how they are now going to meet this need. Germany said last month they were setting up dedicated production in order to make 50 million a week by August.

"Up until Monday, the UK government had resisted following governments of other countries which have already advised its people to wear face coverings when outside of their homes.

"Sir Patrick Vallance, the UK's chief scientific advisor, said there had been a "long debate about the efficacy of face coverings" but that coverings can "reduce the probability" of the disease being transmitted by a person.

"The view of SAGE was that there is evidence of a modest effect in terms of someone protecting someone else," he said."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-uk-government-advises-people-to-wear-face-masks-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

SAGE, in their wisdom, have finally realised what a drunken idiot like me realised ten weeks ago, and which every other government in the world realised about a month ago.

This is not just a calamitous error, it is possibly a political car crash, because this is something where everyone can see that government was lying or inept, or both, and thereby causing unnecessary deaths.
    The research since the beginning of the pandemic has not been utterly conclusive, but it has without a shadow of doubt trended in one direction only. And the evidence of countries with high mask usage is unequivocal.

It's quite possible that universal mask usage has a similar efficacy to lockdown, and it's an order of magnitude cheaper. Not that hard to manufacture, either, if government tried in the same way it did with ventilators.
    It is also a measure that really doesn't have any downsides. You tell people to wear one AND maintain social distancing. If they don't work, you haven't lost anything.
    Maybe people feel a bit more secure wearing one and wouldn't respect social distancing as much? If they don't work you've just increased transmission a bit.
    Research indicates otherwise.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the redacted SAGE documents if is probably information that says something like masks do reduce transmission, but concern over supplies to front line staff mean we will recommend ....

I haven't heard any plans from the government how they are now going to meet this need. Germany said last month they were setting up dedicated production in order to make 50 million a week by August.

"Up until Monday, the UK government had resisted following governments of other countries which have already advised its people to wear face coverings when outside of their homes.

"Sir Patrick Vallance, the UK's chief scientific advisor, said there had been a "long debate about the efficacy of face coverings" but that coverings can "reduce the probability" of the disease being transmitted by a person.

"The view of SAGE was that there is evidence of a modest effect in terms of someone protecting someone else," he said."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-uk-government-advises-people-to-wear-face-masks-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

SAGE, in their wisdom, have finally realised what a drunken idiot like me realised ten weeks ago, and which every other government in the world realised about a month ago.

This is not just a calamitous error, it is possibly a political car crash, because this is something where everyone can see that government was lying or inept, or both, and thereby causing unnecessary deaths.
    The research since the beginning of the pandemic has not been utterly conclusive, but it has without a shadow of doubt trended in one direction only. And the evidence of countries with high mask usage is unequivocal.

It's quite possible that universal mask usage has a similar efficacy to lockdown, and it's an order of magnitude cheaper. Not that hard to manufacture, either, if government tried in the same way it did with ventilators.
    It is also a measure that really doesn't have any downsides. You tell people to wear one AND maintain social distancing. If they don't work, you haven't lost anything.
    Maybe people feel a bit more secure wearing one and wouldn't respect social distancing as much? If they don't work you've just increased transmission a bit.
    Ah, I hadn't seen that. There's no psychological impact of wearing one in that way?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

I tend to agree with this article but with two important notes of caution:

1. Clinton led Trump ON POLLING DAY and won by 2%. Analyses by psephologists in the know tend to suggest Biden is going to need a 3 or 4% lead. So the chart showing a polling lead isn't always showing an electoral college lead, in all likelihood.

2. Trump has the advantage of incumbency that neither candidate had in 2016. It does TEND to be the case that undecideds break for the devil they know, although it's hard to see how that will play out with such a devisive devil as Donald.

Clinton was hardly an aphrodisiac to the GOTVers......
    Trump had novelty value in 2016......
    The timing of the Comey letter.....
    The Green candidate in 2016.....

The stars were aligned for Trump in 2016- and he lost on the vote share....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Amazon?
    If it helps stop droplets, probably? I can see surgical masks for sale on there.
    The lead times are not quick. I can see there being big supply issues going forward.
    Yep, but this has been trailed for weeks now. But look around, you'll be able to find some if you really need/want some.
    I don’t actually want any, but if the Government is going to insist, they have to be readily available...
    They are available on Amazon if you dont want to DIY it. Not the hardest thing to find.
    With long lead times.
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Amazon?
    Do you still not get it? How hard is this?

You're not wearing a mask to protect yourself. You're wearing a mask to protect others around you, in case you are asymptomatic but infected. Even conversation, without a mask, is enough to transmit the disease to others

Wearing a mask is the civic, unselfish thing to do. What's more, by wearing a mask you encourage others to wear a mask, and if they wear a mask they are protecting you from their possible infections.

See? This is where Asian collectivism defeats western individualism. This isn't about YOU it's about EVERYONE

However it also works for you the individual. If everyone wears a mask, YOU are significantly protected from Covid-19.
    Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

This is generous:

Second, the Government will require all international arrivals not on a short list of exemptions to self-isolate in their accommodation for fourteen days on arrival into the UK. Where international travellers are unable to demonstrate where they would self-isolate, they will be required to do so in accommodation arranged by the Government. The Government is working closely with the devolved administrations to coordinate implementation across the UK.

In Singapore and Australia when they introduced 14 day self quarantine if a non-resident arrived without a 14 day hotel reservation they were simply refused entry.

Would have been a great announcement 3 months ago...
    Given most travel restrictions were introduced 2 months ago that would have been well ahead of the curve.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

You don't need to buy a face mask.

"A face covering is not the same as a facemask such as the surgical masks or respirators used as part of personal protective equipment by healthcare and other workers"
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1259833361180307456?s=20
    They will have to rip my old Ramones t-shirt out of my cold dead hands.
  • Options
    RobD said:

This is generous:

Second, the Government will require all international arrivals not on a short list of exemptions to self-isolate in their accommodation for fourteen days on arrival into the UK. Where international travellers are unable to demonstrate where they would self-isolate, they will be required to do so in accommodation arranged by the Government. The Government is working closely with the devolved administrations to coordinate implementation across the UK.

In Singapore and Australia when they introduced 14 day self quarantine if a non-resident arrived without a 14 day hotel reservation they were simply refused entry.

Arranged? Doesn't say anything about paying. :smiley::D

I hope they do make them pay.....either that or send them home.
  • Options
    RobD said:

This is generous:

Bring me your poor....
  • Options
    On topic.....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Look at the almost Orwellian grinding orthodoxy of those statements.

V shaped recovery? in your dreams

Any recovery at all? debatable.
    Just had our best ever weekend of online sales....
  • Options

RobD said:

This is generous:

I hope they do make them pay.....either that or send them home.
    It'll be a welcome source of income for the hotels... no matter who is paying. Think of it as a government subsidy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What 2016 showed is it is polls in the key swing states e.g. Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Florida that matter, not the national popular vote totals

That would be great if the state polls were reliable, but if you were trying to call 2016 based on state polls you'd be seeing things like this:
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/wisconsin/
    Most Florida polls had Trump ahead and Trafalgar group had Trump ahead in Michigan and Pennsylvania
    Now if only we had a way to work out which factoids to cherry-pick ahead of time...

Although I have misgivings on HUFYD in UK politics...his faultless ideological purity for all things blue...his contribution to US politics is the best on this site....

BTW- Where is Jack W- another great contributor on US POTUS....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    No foreign holibobs for most people this summer...

However, the measures will apply to UK holidaymakers returning from other destinations. Travel industry analysts said that meant a one-week or two-week holiday abroad would be followed by another two weeks in self-isolation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52610594
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    OK - I've read it

It is sensible and sets out a clear plan in all the key areas and offers a hope to get back to some sort of normality.

Timescales look sensible - a priority should be to allow the mixing of household bubbles as soon as possible, this should take place by 1 June at the latest.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375
    Totally agree with the Header. That you can lay Trump at evens is IMO one of those bets that if you don't do it - and in SIZE - you will have sleepless nights for years thereafter. I see him below 200 in the EC.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

"A face covering is not the same as a facemask such as the surgical masks or respirators used as part of personal protective equipment by healthcare and other workers"
    I'm sure all those punters who were about to use a new t shirt that they wanted to keep will be relieved.
    Slightly mystified as to why it should be small or extra small.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Amazon?
    With long lead times.
    From a quick search 50 pack available to be delivered early next week with standard delivery or this Thursday if you pay a couple of pounds for faster delivery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MXG-Atos-Pack-Surgical-Masks/dp/B085QJSJNT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=face+mask&qid=1589204371&sr=8-6

This Thursday isn't that long of a lead time in the circumstances. Nor if you're not in a hurry is early next week.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Professional sportage pathway...ClifNotes, nothing for a while at the earliest.

No professional sport in England until 1 June at earliest (no cricket until at least July)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/52619111
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    HYUFD said:
    The sheer mind numbing complacency and ignorance of these statements really is quite something to behold.

The government clearly believes there are people stupid enough to reopen a tradionally face to face business under the crushing weight of this insane red tape. Or any other business for that matter.

Every day the chasm between revenue and expenditure widens.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Amazon?
    With long lead times.
    From a quick search 50 pack available to be delivered early next week with standard delivery or this Thursday if you pay a couple of pounds for faster delivery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MXG-Atos-Pack-Surgical-Masks/dp/B085QJSJNT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=face+mask&qid=1589204371&sr=8-6

This Thursday isn't that long of a lead time in the circumstances. Nor if you're not in a hurry is early next week.
    The reviews are a bit suspect. Some say you only get 10 masks, and over £20 for 10 masks is steep. Another says they are very small are barely cover your mouth and nose. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    When primary schools begin to reopen - and the earliest this could happen is the beginning of next month - all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 could return, as they could be spread out throughout the whole school. But the decision will rest with headteachers.

Parents who decide not to send their children back to school will not be fined for keeping them away.

If only 1% of kids are going at the moment (out of a possible 20% who are kids of key workers), and the decision is with unions / headteachers / parents, realistically we aren't going to see many kids back at school.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

OK - I've read it

It is sensible and sets out a clear plan in all the key areas and offers a hope to get back to some sort of normality.

Timescales look sensible - a priority should be to allow the mixing of household bubbles as soon as possible, this should take place by 1 June at the latest.

The only misstep I can see is the only one person outside your household outside. I appreciate they don't want a pizza party in Hyde Park but what about family or complicated requirements/situaions is my thinking.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

However, the measures will apply to UK holidaymakers returning from other destinations. Travel industry analysts said that meant a one-week or two-week holiday abroad would be followed by another two weeks in self-isolation.

Except France. French tourism will have a mini-boom in British sun-seekers.
    France...but it full of French people ;-)
  • Options

Professional sportage pathway...ClifNotes, nothing for a while at the earliest.

No professional sport in England until 1 June at earliest (no cricket until at least July)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/52619111

I wonder if this has been tied in with Project Restart?

Clearly talks have been ongoing. That the Premier League were aiming for "from June" and the government have said "not before 1 June" does not seem entirely coincidental.

A billion pound industry, the government will lose hundreds of million of pounds in taxes if the season isn't completed.
  • Options
    'Government relying on common sense'

There is a phrase that runs through this document which is smart or smarter. They’re trying to do smarter controls.

What they’ve been doing thus far is really blunt - everything must stop aside from absolute essentials.

In that time people have started to work out how they can do things in their lives while maintaining social distancing.

What the government is hoping is that we can do more and more with those lessons that we’ve learned in the last few weeks.

I think we’re going to move into a phase where we are relying on people’s common sense.

The concern of people like the Police Federation is that there are lots of people who don’t have much common sense and that’s where the difficulty comes. And the government is saying that we need to start relying on people’s common sense in some of these limited areas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What 2016 showed is it is polls in the key swing states e.g. Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Florida that matter, not the national popular vote totals

That would be great if the state polls were reliable, but if you were trying to call 2016 based on state polls you'd be seeing things like this:
    Most Florida polls had Trump ahead and Trafalgar group had Trump ahead in Michigan and Pennsylvania
    Now if only we had a way to work out which factoids to cherry-pick ahead of time...

Although I have misgivings on HUFYD in UK politics...his faultless ideological purity for all things blue...his contribution to US politics is the best on this site....

Thanks Tyson
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    HYUFD said:
    Bit rich coming from someone who has his twitter handle as "Lord_Sugar". Why not "Alan_ Sugar"? Pompous twat
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks Tyson
    I really appreciate the leg work you put in on the US elections...with all the up to date state polls....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133
    stupid and arseholes into the bargain
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Bit rich coming from someone who has his twitter handle as "Lord_Sugar". Why not "Alan_ Sugar"? Pompous twat
    Not available, perhaps?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    eadric said:

Nice and St Tropez are a little more expensive than Benidorm however
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Amazon?
    With long lead times.

The reviews are a bit suspect. Some say you only get 10 masks, and over £20 for 10 masks is steep. Another says they are very small are barely cover your mouth and nose. 🤷‍♂️
    There's lots of other ones I found too and again just a quick search. Quite consistently seem to be available for delivery for free/cheap delivery by early next week and later this week for premium delivery. Doesn't seem like an especially long time in the circumstances.

I chose that link because they look very much like the clinical ones that I've seen before, but just from the picture.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,645
    RobD said:

This is generous:

Welcome to Wormwood Scrubs Government Hotel....
  • Options
    eadric said:

At the moment "holiday" is not a valid reason for you to get into France.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

A band with a 100% mortality rate for its original members might be appropriate branding.
  • Options

RobD said:

This is generous:

Welcome to Wormwood Scrubs Government Hotel....
    If you're lucky you'll get the en-suite.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Are the French confused by the message from The Élysée Palace?

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1259540093305569280
  • Options
    UK carries out 100,490 tests on 10 May..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Eadric, provided there's no quarantine going into France, of course.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

A band with a 100% mortality rate for its original members might be appropriate branding.
    A bit of understanding please - this site also has a 100% mortality rate.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Well it's in a strange language for starters.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,456
    RobD said:
    Still reading through, but did notice that the plan mentions schools, nannies and childminders, but not nurseries - though the implication is that they should reopen.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I still regret they didn't go for a number like that on 1/may, just to wind up the twitter screechers. 100k .... plus 1
  • Options

BJOs everywhere are disappointed....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited May 2020
    malcolmg said:

Long drives with nowhere for an overnight stay.
  • Options

on a Sunday? :D
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

OK - I've read it

The only misstep I can see is the only one person outside your household outside. I appreciate they don't want a pizza party in Hyde Park but what about family or complicated requirements/situaions is my thinking.
    Yes, the sooner that the government can make that more flexible the better but we are seeing progress there.
  • Options
    The French exemption is just weird. If they said, exemption for those driving freight, I could understand, and yes there are all sorts of rules in France at the moment. But if they lift them before us, then we get in this stupid situation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416

eadric said:

eadric said:

Ten weeks late. Ten fucking weeks. I bought my first masks on February 14th

I don't like bashing the government but this is a colossal public health error.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1259830859303133184?s=20

I predict we are going to see bog roll style hoarding all over again....glad I already have my reusable respirator mask.
    How the feck are they going to explain away their volte face on this?

Did the science on masks completely change? Why did they tell us masks had no benefits? How many got infected, how many died, because the British government was lying to the people, or just enormously stupid?

It was obvious from early Feb that masks were useful in reducing transmission from the wearer, as long as enough people wore them.

Now the government looks duplicitous AND incompetent, in the middle of a terrible plague

Will they not need 50m a day?

I strongly suspect that the reason the government did not recommend masks was because they knew that there was an insufficient supply and what supply they had was urgently needed for front line staff who had no choice but to take the risks that operating without one entailed. Which is fair enough, really.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nice and St Tropez are a little more expensive than Benidorm however
    I had expected not to make it to Antibes this year. Will be an absolute bonus if I could.

Have a trade fair in Paris in September, though - I suspect thats unlikely....
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

'Government relying on common sense'

There is a phrase that runs through this document which is smart or smarter. They’re trying to do smarter controls.

What they’ve been doing thus far is really blunt - everything must stop aside from absolute essentials.

In that time people have started to work out how they can do things in their lives while maintaining social distancing.

What the government is hoping is that we can do more and more with those lessons that we’ve learned in the last few weeks.

I think we’re going to move into a phase where we are relying on people’s common sense.

The concern of people like the Police Federation is that there are lots of people who don’t have much common sense and that’s where the difficulty comes. And the government is saying that we need to start relying on people’s common sense in some of these limited areas.

In the end, we were always going to have to rely on common sense. Which is why we should have relied on it more from the start.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,576

HYUFD said:
    Lord Sugar & Piers Morgan are long-standing twitter frenemies. This banter between them drives up both their views and, erm, well, points mean prizes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

Ah, I hadn't seen that. There's no psychological impact of wearing one in that way?
    From what I can recall, it works in the other direction.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Probably. It seems to be in some sort of foreign language.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    My work PC says that the link to the Govt advice as shared by Laura K is "suspicious" and won't let me open it :-)

Insert your own joke here...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I predict we are going to see bog roll style hoarding all over again....glad I already have my reusable respirator mask.

Did the science on masks completely change? Why did they tell us masks had no benefits? How many got infected, how many died, because the British government was lying to the people, or just enormously stupid?

It was obvious from early Feb that masks were useful in reducing transmission from the wearer, as long as enough people wore them.

Now the government looks duplicitous AND incompetent, in the middle of a terrible plague

I strongly suspect that the reason the government did not recommend masks was because they knew that there was an insufficient supply and what supply they had was urgently needed for front line staff who had no choice but to take the risks that operating without one entailed. Which is fair enough, really.
    That is 50 million domestically made ones and that is just the target for start of August (I presume they will kick on from there). Also, that doesn't mean they won't also still buy them in from usual places like China.

I believe Korea you get 2 a week provided by the state.
  • Options

The French exemption is just weird. If they said, exemption for those driving freight, I could understand, and yes there are all sorts of rules in France at the moment. But if they lift them before us, then we get in this stupid situation.

Something to do with Eurostar, one presumes.
  • Options

Johnson & Macron have agreed they'd keep them under review - so if France changes its regs, the UK can too.
  • Options
    It seems very one-way. How many French tourists are going to come to the UK on holiday? :p
  • Options
    He's being sarcastic. Expect those who have praised foreign governments' plans to condemn the UK government's (very similar) one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

My employer requires people working onsite to wear two company-issued masks a day. If this is typical then there will be a huge increase in demand for masks, in addition to the masks needed for commuting by public transport.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    HYUFD said:
    China, as well as the rest of the world needs to do more, but give credit where it's due.
    https://www.csis.org/east-green-chinas-global-leadership-renewable-energy
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1259834342395838464?s=20

I can't work out why they didn't release the detailed document at the same time as the speech.
    It had to be published in Parliament first, its a detailed and clear document. If only the news stations this morning had just had a little patience.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

Thanks, that would be interesting to read if you did remember where you saw it. Not to worry if you don't though, I'll take your word for it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

I think he's mocking the Beth Rigby and Piers Morgan style catastrophism
    Arhh I see...I was confused :-) ....bit like Germany testing approach was the bees knees, until we copied and then it was big bad private companies involved / Tory government privatising NHS services again.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Mortality rate inherently implies a unit of time. Shall we say 1948 to 2020?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Absolutely. No one is getting out of here alive.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,854

When primary schools begin to reopen - and the earliest this could happen is the beginning of next month - all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 could return, as they could be spread out throughout the whole school. But the decision will rest with headteachers.

Parents who decide not to send their children back to school will not be fined for keeping them away.

If only 1% of kids are going at the moment (out of a possible 20% who are kids of key workers), and the decision is with unions / headteachers / parents, realistically we aren't going to see many kids back at school.

I don't think that's entirely right. Of the 20% that had some basis to send their kids to school, it is fair to say that attendance was heavily discouraged unless absolutely required.

Mrs Rata is in the key worker list, but the guidance discouraged nursery attendance unless both
  • Options
    RobD said:

It seems very one-way. How many French tourists are going to come to the UK on holiday? :p

Plenty coming to visit family in France's 6th biggest city, Londres.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,456

RobD said:
    Still reading through, but did notice that the plan mentions schools, nannies and childminders, but not nurseries - though the implication is that they should reopen.
    Nah, I just missed it. June 1st, referred to as early years providers.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997
    dr_spyn said:

malcolmg said:

Long drives with nowhere for an overnight stay.
    You'd need a Ford GPW, as otherwise Macbraynes would not let you on the ferry, given current rules (much supported locally, I expect).
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,854
    Pro_Rata said:

I don't think that's entirely right. Of the 20% that had some basis to send their kids to school, it is fair to say that attendance was heavily discouraged unless absolutely required.

Mrs Rata is in the key worker list, but the guidance discouraged nursery attendance unless both were working the same hours out with the house. I'm a WfH office worker and not a key worker, so I ended up combining my work with crèche, due to the advice, yet my kids are amongst the 20% who are 'entitled' to schooling.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Rock bands start selling face mask merchandise
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52367918
  • Options

eadric said:

I think he's mocking the Beth Rigby and Piers Morgan style catastrophism
    Arhh I see...I was confused :-) ....bit like Germany testing approach was the bees knees, until we copied and then it was big bad private companies involved / Tory government privatising NHS services again.
    Everyone's still allowed to laugh at the shite messaging and bunch of bumbling incompetents doing it though, right?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Arhh I see...I was confused :-) ....bit like Germany testing approach was the bees knees

It still is on twitter ....... even when we're doing 3x as many per capita.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

Thanks, that would be interesting to read if you did remember where you saw it. Not to worry if you don't though, I'll take your word for it.
    Its in the document
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Andrew said:

Arhh I see...I was confused :-) ....bit like Germany testing approach was the bees knees

It still is on twitter ....... even when we're doing 3x as many per capita.
    Funny how less keen on copying invasive tracking apps used by South Korea now, something something, Brexit, something, Cummings, something something, Peter Thiel.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375
    HYUFD said:
    If I were writing tweets like this at the age of 73 I would hope someone who loves me would have a gentle word.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. L, nox est perpetua una dormienda.

By weird chance I was reading a little of Catullus' poetry an hour or two ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    "Commuters crowd train platform following UK government guidelines to go back to work"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB4IqZmydiM

Crowded? The queues for B&Q and Tescos are more crowded than that video. It actually looks like people are being very sensible.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Really?! Or are you also being ironic, mocking those who don't understand the simple govt advice? Can't work you out, it's all gone meta...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,954

Fighting the last war also explains why somebody out there seems to be somehow convinced that the Democrats are going to nominate Hillary Clinton.

Yes, the odds on Clinton as nominee are nuts. I can see the logic behind it not being Biden, but in those scenarios it ain't Clinton who replaces him!
  • Options

"Commuters crowd train platform following UK government guidelines to go back to work"

Crowded? The queues for B&Q and Tescos are more crowded than that video. It actually looks like people are being very sensible.

That wouldn't fit the disaster narrative they are so keen on pushing now would it?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    If I were writing tweets like this at the age of 73 I would hope someone who loves me would have a gentle word.
    Sugar's problem is possibly contained within your post.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,954

I tend to agree with this article but with two important notes of caution:

1. Clinton led Trump ON POLLING DAY and won by 2%. Analyses by psephologists in the know tend to suggest Biden is going to need a 3 or 4% lead. So the chart showing a polling lead isn't always showing an electoral college lead, in all likelihood.

2. Trump has the advantage of incumbency that neither candidate had in 2016. It does TEND to be the case that undecideds break for the devil they know, although it's hard to see how that will play out with such a devisive devil as Donald.

I agree with both of these, and actually cut a paragraph on the first one for space/concision concerns. I'm not entirely convinced he needs a bigger lead to win than she did given his apparent strength in the rust belt; but I broadly agree with you.
  • Options
    What time will Scott repost the first tweet about how terrible the Government's Covid 19 document is?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    edited May 2020
    No Professional Sport until at least June 1st see https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

There goes Liverpool's championship.
  • Options

WTF?

And so Londoncentric once more. It must be strange for the media to realise the entire country doesn't live and work in central London.
  • Options
    If the government had put this document out last night, they would have saved themselves a day of criticism.
  • Options

What time will Scott repost the first tweet about how terrible the Government's Covid 19 document is?

No doubt the search is underway.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    eek said:

No Professional Sport until at least June 1st see https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

Strangely, horse racing has resumed in France (where it is deemed an agricultural activity) but no resumption here:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/coronavirus/resumption-of-british-racing-pushed-back-to-june-1-at-the-earliest/433693
  • Options
    eek said:

Why? Project Restart was always looking at from June?

Besides if the league gets abandoned from here then surely Liverpool would be champions just like PSG were awarded the French championship.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited May 2020
    Tissue Price speaking in Commons
  • Options

If the government had put this document out last night, they would have saved themselves a day of criticism.

The opposition front bench are now franticly re-writing their response to the statement at 3:30?
This discussion has been closed.