Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris is back but there’ll be no premature move to ease the lo

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620

Let's hope someone asks why the NHS think they can build an app that doesn't follow the proposal by Apple and Google.

The app is the big question of the day they should be asking about. Firstly, privacy issues and secondly we have decided to diverge from the Apple / Google APIs and going for a centralized system.

This is a big call. If this thing is a shambles, it effects everything.
    They should just demand Apple and Google build an app and make it an automatic download (ie you have to proactively opt out of it, and if you do, you remain locked down)
    I would have thought a call from the government saying, now about your tax returns...might get them onboard.
    Apple would definitely fight that - otherwise the next thing will be the Chinese government demanding that they install various things. Saudis will be up next, Russia will want some stuff.....
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Quality of life, not quantity. Hug your grandchildern FFS.

It is very painful to my wife and I that we cannot hug our grandchildren
    Hug the critters then. Just make sure the curtain switching stasi isn`t watching.
    I dont think its the lockdown rules that concern them, more like the impact of catching COVID at their time of life.
    That`s an interesting point. Standing over two metres from my neighbours during my walk yesterday caused me to reflect on this. We`ve been in lockdown for so long that the chance of catching the virus off the other is vanishingly small. So why are we doing it? - it`s as though there`s some invisible force field between us. I don`t think it`s health anymore, I think it`s obedience to authority. Following the letter rather than the spirit. Which worries me greatly.
    In our case it is our judgment that we need to stay in lockdown for as long as necessary to give us the best chance of achieving our diamond wedding in 4 years
    Ah, I see Big G - our posts crossed - I can see that.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Sounds like schools will be back soon.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Hug the critters then. Just make sure the curtain switching stasi isn`t watching.
    I dont think its the lockdown rules that concern them, more like the impact of catching COVID at their time of life.
    Exactly.

My wife and I are high risk and will not take any chances and will be very wary even after lockdown is lifted
    You`ll never be out of lockdown if you won`t take ANY chances. No matter how quickly and when we exit lockdown the virus will still be present. Even if you stay holed up for two or three years and then a vaccine appears it won`t be 100% effective. Quality of life not quantity.
    We will make the judgment when appropriate but it is not on our radar at present
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2020

Let's hope someone asks why the NHS think they can build an app that doesn't follow the proposal by Apple and Google.

The app is the big question of the day they should be asking about. Firstly, privacy issues and secondly we have decided to diverge from the Apple / Google APIs and going for a centralized system.

They should just demand Apple and Google build an app and make it an automatic download (ie you have to proactively opt out of it, and if you do, you remain locked down)
    I would have thought a call from the government saying, now about your tax returns...might get them onboard.
    Apple would definitely fight that - otherwise the next thing will be the Chinese government demanding that they install various things. Saudis will be up next, Russia will want some stuff.....
    If they built the app? They already force stuff on your phone that they make e.g. their crappy email client and web browser.

From the BBC report, GCHQ have been used to find an exploit to allow it to have functionality that Apple says isn't possible. I doubt they will be happy with that either.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

That`s an interesting point. Standing over two metres from my neighbours during my walk yesterday caused me to reflect on this. We`ve been in lockdown for so long that the chance of catching the virus off the other is vanishingly small. So why are we doing it? - it`s as though there`s some invisible force field between us. I don`t think it`s health anymore, I think it`s obedience to authority. Following the letter rather than the spirit. Which worries me greatly.
    In our case it is our judgment that we need to stay in lockdown for as long as necessary to give us the best chance of achieving our diamond wedding in 4 years
    More to the point, you chance of achieving your diamond wedding in 4 years also depends on millions of people like Stocky continuing to observe social distancing.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

Looks like quarantine is on its way for flights into the UK

Horse, bolted comes to mind.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Yawn. Hundred thousand. Yawn. Does ANYONE care other than journos trying for a scalp?

Probably not, although I will cut them some slack on this in that the government offered that scalping opportunity.
    Since the target was announced by what percentage has the quantity of tests gone up so far?
    I don't know, but it's a lot I think, and that it is important to note. But when a target is set by government I don't put asking about it incessantly on the same level as other inane questions.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Yawn. Hundred thousand. Yawn. Does ANYONE care other than journos trying for a scalp?

I suppose Hancock does. Silly, though, I agree. The curse of the arbitrary target.
    I think Hancock will get away with it but it was an unnecessary promise
    I disagree. I've said a few times I don't care whether the target is met actually or not, but what mattered was increasing testing numbers. Putting the target out their meant putting pressure on the government and the Civil Service and industry to ramp up testing. Which is all that bloody matters.

Whether an arbitrary target is hit or not is moot. If testing numbers are up because of the target then the target has saved lives.
    Unless it has diverted effort from more productive avenues. Or tests are now being done in a mad unthinking rush purely to hit the target. Not saying this IS the case but I think there's a fair chance that it is. This would not be strong management. It would be weak management.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,020
    edited April 2020
    From Peter Hitchens' latest column: (I found it interesting because I'm also a regular blood donor).

"Last week I went to the blood bank to make my twice-yearly deposit of a whole armful of gore. I mention this not to boast but because, since I started doing it 50 years ago, I have greatly enjoyed it and can’t understand why more people don’t do it.

The best bit of all nowadays is the text message telling you where and when your pint has been used, which arrives not long afterwards and provides a lovely warm glow. But it was a bit unusual, thanks to the virus panic.

I usually go in London, but for various reasons could not, and so went in Oxford. The staff, as always, were a joy, full of humour and efficiency despite having to wear face-masks (it is physically impossible to stick a needle in someone’s arm while staying 6ft away from them. Try it if you don’t believe me).

Only one thing dampened the occasion. I had that morning received a stern letter telling me that, thanks to the virus panic, I will be banned from giving blood once I reach 70, a date now alarmingly close.

This is a reversal of a previous sensible policy which allowed regular donors to keep on giving to almost any age. I do hope it does not become permanent. If I ever do reach 70, I really do not want to be protected to death."

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

That would imply there is no use for it. There is, if the infection rate in the UK is significantly reduced.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I suppose Hancock does. Silly, though, I agree. The curse of the arbitrary target.
    I disagree. I've said a few times I don't care whether the target is met actually or not, but what mattered was increasing testing numbers. Putting the target out their meant putting pressure on the government and the Civil Service and industry to ramp up testing. Which is all that bloody matters.

Whether an arbitrary target is hit or not is moot. If testing numbers are up because of the target then the target has saved lives.
    Unless it has diverted effort from more productive avenues. Or tests are now being done in a mad unthinking rush purely to hit the target. Not saying this IS the case but I think there's a fair chance that it is. This would not be strong management. It would be weak management.
    One of the new sources of tests are all hospital admissions.

Is that a "mad unthinking rush" ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:
    Alistair could you plot the graph so it's 5.6:1, that about matches the population ratio between England and Sweden.
    Grey lines is the scaled Sweden

• Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

More to the point, you chance of achieving your diamond wedding in 4 years also depends on millions of people like Stocky continuing to observe social distancing.
    I do not think that is likely but social distancing is here for quite a while
  • Options

Actually Hancock gave a sensible answer in so far as when we have a low tramission rate we need then to protect us, rather than when the virus is widespread
  • Options
    Looks at watch...I presume people have already started complaining that £60k isn't enough, its pathetic, its offensive, its..
  • Options

If they built the app? They already force stuff on your phone that they make e.g. their crappy email client and web browser.

From the BBC report, GCHQ have been used to find an exploit to allow it to have functionality that Apple says isn't possible. I doubt they will be happy with that either.
    The point being if they start pushing *any* third party stuff, every third party will demand the right to have it pushed.

If you demand an app that phones home to describe who you've hung out with and where... well, what else could that be used for?

Recall the storm about pushing U2 songs *for free* to iPhones.
  • Options
    At last a decent question - will the Govt cancel beer duty !

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,152
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

4,310 positive out of 37,024 tests - % continues to fall dramatically.

Surely that is to be expected as testing is expanded to include people less likely to have the virus?
    Yes, but we discussed this yesterday:

1) You must have symptoms to get a test
    2) Pillar 2 % positive was very similar to Pillar 1 % positive (as of yesterday - await today's numbers)
    50,000 women were asked if they would have sex with Matt Hancock. All claimed to have a headache.

Being a Covid-19 symptom, all 50,000 were tested.

Tomorrow, 90,000 women will be asked.......
  • Options

Looks at watch...I presume people have already started complaining that £60k isn't enough, its pathetic, its offensive, its..

And if it had been £160k the same people would say "it isn't enough, its pathetic, its offensive, its.." Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    TGOHF666 said:
    The small print says it's based on a overall 0.2% COVID-19 fatality rate projected on the basis of the Santa Clara and Los Angeles antibody studies.

That 0.2% figure is only a bit bigger than the percentage of the whole population of New York City that has died of COVID-19, so it's obviously not right.
  • Options

Probably the same people who accused a hotel in West London charging £20 a day for a room, as overcharging.
  • Options
    Well done Andrew Bailey for pushing this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52445988
  • Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

What don't you think is likely? The whole point of social distancing is to slow the spread of the virus. If enough people stop social distancing, then the spread will rise again, and your chances of catching the virus will increase accordingly.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I think that it is also discipline and reinforcing habit to avoid slips.

I started doing my COVID-avoidance routine (cordon sanitaire at the front door, everything coming in being swabbed, leather gloves etc) in fairly early March, when I knew there was not very much COVID around here.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Anything using the Santa Clara data should be ignored. It is a flawed study in so many ways, from selection of subjects to the tests they used.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,172
    Jo Swinson considering standing for Holyrood next year

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1254762950482681861?s=20
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I wonder what the Government's expectation was re compliance?

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1254813388863082498
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:
    Alistair could you plot the graph so it's 5.6:1, that about matches the population ratio between England and Sweden.

Thanks, that graph looks very poor for Sweden, still on the upwards curve part of the crisis. The 8th and around then was our peak, it definitely wasn't in Sweden, their one is still coming.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Two years to go for us. Looks as though, if we do get there, any gathering will have to be on the quiet side. We're due to go to bro-in-laws golden in August but we're getting very doubtful indeed about that.

On a more serious note, to the best of our knowledge and belief, we haven't been in contact with anyone who might have carried the virus for 4-5 weeks now. Nor has our son and his family. So why can't we meet with them on the occasion of grandson's birthday on Thursday, or mine next week? It's not as though grandson is a child, of course; the 'only ' significance of this upcoming anniversary is that he was supposed to be having his first on-road driving lesson!
  • Options

Well done Andrew Bailey for pushing this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52445988

Yes - an example of asking the right, targetted questions and persisting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Perhaps someone should tell the journalists at the briefing.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

What don't you think is likely? The whole point of social distancing is to slow the spread of the virus. If enough people stop social distancing, then the spread will rise again, and your chances of catching the virus will increase accordingly.
    A time will come to make a judgment call but I do not see it this year

The problem on social distancing will come if football and rugby are permitted to start as they are contact sports and many will complain it is in breach of this rule
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

So he was at the Times. Now at the New Statesman.. tells you all you need to.know.

I genuinely don't know how to take this.

How is it that moving between those two particular organs tells me all I need to know about a journalist?
    Is it anything like moving from the Times to the Telegraph?
    I haven't read the Telegraph since back when it was an oddly comforting insight into "trad" shires values inc some very good cricket journalism. It was also the physically widest of the broadsheets such that you could hide all but your legs with it when slouched in a club chair after lunch. Downside - it made your arms ache.
    My mother is leftish in her views, but took the Telegraph while abroad as it made a better sunshade.
    :smile: - smart!

Wonder what it's best used for these days?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dr_spyn said:

If it truly is 95% compliance from what is essentially a voluntary system, that really is extraordinarily high, IMO
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"No, no I never said Jo Swinson, your next Prime Minister, I said Jo Swinson, your next First Minister, honest...."
  • Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The problem on social distancing will come if football and rugby are permitted to start as they are contact sports and many will complain it is in breach of this rule
    As footballers are generally under 40 there is very little chance of any of them being fatalities.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    https://twitter.com/addicted2newz/status/1254812430649171974?s=20

And what he was actually thinking was TWAT.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

One of my relatives swears that she's adhering to government guidelines, yet still keeps posting pictures on FB of evenings with friends, outings, etc. Some people have a real blind spot when it comes to their own behaviour.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Thanks, that graph looks very poor for Sweden, still on the upwards curve part of the crisis. The 8th and around then was our peak, it definitely wasn't in Sweden, their one is still coming.
    It was worse than I was expecting, I though Sweden's latest numbers would still be clearly below England's.

Edit: it may be my lying eyes but if feel I can spot a (slight) gradient change in Sweden's numbers that would coincide with the various lockdown measures they have taken.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

That`s 60 years! I`ve just looked it up. Do you ever fancy a change BigG?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,022
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Someone should tell Contrarion.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    I think these polls need to be treated with suspicion. The repondents are in favour of lockdown on the assumption that they will be paid. Ask the question a different way and you`d get a different result.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I don't know. I'm an expert on the dangers of arbitrary targets not on who should be tested for coronavirus.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Two years to go for us. Looks as though, if we do get there, any gathering will have to be on the quiet side. We're due to go to bro-in-laws golden in August but we're getting very doubtful indeed about that.

On a more serious note, to the best of our knowledge and belief, we haven't been in contact with anyone who might have carried the virus for 4-5 weeks now. Nor has our son and his family. So why can't we meet with them on the occasion of grandson's birthday on Thursday, or mine next week? It's not as though grandson is a child, of course; the 'only ' significance of this upcoming anniversary is that he was supposed to be having his first on-road driving lesson!
    We have similar dilemmas and views and actually our granddaughter is 17 on the 12th May, (has a car), but cannot take driving lessons nor can we celebrate with her
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"The spokesman said that government now has the capacity to carry out 53,000 tests per day."

Even if we go with this spin, where are they going to magic up another 47,000 test capacity in 3-4 days?

I find this argument pedantic and petulant. Its not bad to aim for the moon, even if you miss you can reach the stars.

There's been roughly a five-fold increase in testing capabilities in the past few weeks and further capabilities are coming online rapidly. Whether the target is met on Thursday or not is less important than what those increased capabilities that followed that target meant.

If a student who was currently getting D's were to say they realise they need to buckle down, study and try to strive for an A-grade were to study hard and achieve a B would you mock them saying "You got a B? Hah! That's pathetic you said you were going to get an A!" Or would you say "You've done well, that's much improved."
    Er, I'm no astrophysicist (no, really) - but if you fail to get to the moon which stars exactly do you reach?
    What did I just say about being pedantic? ;)
    Don't blame me, Socrates started it.
    If Patrick Moore taught me anything, it is that when people point at the sky and ask what's that bright star, the answer is the planet Venus.
    Sometimes it’s Jupiter...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"No, no I never said Jo Swinson, your next Prime Minister, I said Jo Swinson, your next First Minister, honest...."
    She actually looks a plausible Unionist First Minister, certainly would keep Sturgeon on her toes anyway and her EUphilia would go down better in Scotland than South of the border too
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Stocky said:

I'm the same with my landlady, but in my case at least it's because I feel it would be intrusive to ask her if she's sure she hasn't had any contacts with anyone who might be infectious, and I certainly don't watch her house 24/7 to know. I'm sure she feels the same about me. Why risk it, we both feel. Authority doesn't really come into it - no police on my road.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I don't know. I'm an expert on the dangers of arbitrary targets not on who should be tested for coronavirus.
    At worst we will find up how many people hospitals are infecting..
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

You should only set a target when you know you will achieve it. Is that about right?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

As footballers are generally under 40 there is very little chance of any of them being fatalities.

I think you miss the point.

Football is the very antithesis of social distancing
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Fckn hell, there's glassy eyed sycophancy, then there's offering to take on toilet paper duties for someone.

https://twitter.com/halfon4harlowMP/status/1254763225314361347?s=20

An outstanding effort. Has to earn some points toward a knighthood
    I'm almost speechless. I hope he's taking the piss but he almost certainly isn't. Extraordinary. I know there was some of this pass-the-sick-bucket idolatry with Jez but it tended to come from exuberant activists not from senior MPs.
    What wuz 'e thunking?
    I know!

what's this Tory MP trying to say here: Boris Johnson is an animal driven by primitive instincts rather than reason who poses a grave threat to human life? https://t.co/LUR0x69R0h

— Owen Jones🌹 (@OwenJones84) April 27, 2020
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    edited April 2020

Chancellor announces 100% loan guarantee by HMG for small businesses upto £50,000

Excellent. I (and others) suggested that this was necessary to make the loan guarantee scheme work about a week ago.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

But if the big match on the tv nudges thousands to stay in rather than go out - it would be a net win.
  • Options
    So did anybody ask about the app? You know the most important thing to will allow us to get out of the lockdown?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Chancellor announces 100% loan guarantee by HMG for small businesses upto £50,000

Excellent. I (and others) suggested that this was necessary to make the loan guarantee scheme work about a week ago.
    Yes ... but they`l be qualifying rules surely? Got to be viable businesses? Otherwise the taxpayer will be caned - again.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

That`s 60 years! I`ve just looked it up. Do you ever fancy a change BigG?
    No and she knows how lucky she has been !!!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

It was worse than I was expecting, I though Sweden's latest numbers would still be clearly below England's.

Edit: it may be my lying eyes but if feel I can spot a (slight) gradient change in Sweden's numbers that would coincide with the various lockdown measures they have taken.
    Yes, the upwards curve definitely slowed down when some of their voluntary measures would have started feeding through to the death rate, though I think some of those figures aren't anywhere near finalised from the 15th onwards.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

But if the big match on the tv nudges thousands to stay in rather than go out - it would be a net win.
    It would indeed have achieved its goal.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Anyone watching "Sunderland `til I die" on Netflix? It`s curiously compulsive.
  • Options
    pbr20pbr20 Posts: 2

kinabalu said:

So he was at the Times. Now at the New Statesman.. tells you all you need to.know.

How is it that moving between those two particular organs tells me all I need to know about a journalist?
    That is an accurate comparison.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

You should only set a target when you know you will achieve it. Is that about right?
    Achievable and (real world) meaningful - i.e. if you miss it there are serious negative consequences. As opposed to, say, "boss will be angry" or "I will be embarrassed". You know the sort of thing. Bet you've seen loads of it. This '100k by 30/4' looks to me like one of those.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

More clear thinking was needed. We want to test the following people:
    (a) those coming into hospital
    (b) anyone going into a care home
    (c) NHS frontline staff
    (d) care workers.

We do not want to waste time and resource testing people with a view to hitting some random target.
  • Options

Stocky said:

I'm the same with my landlady, but in my case at least it's because I feel it would be intrusive to ask her if she's sure she hasn't had any contacts with anyone who might be infectious, and I certainly don't watch her house 24/7 to know. I'm sure she feels the same about me. Why risk it, we both feel. Authority doesn't really come into it - no police on my road.
    How could she possibly be sure of that though? Are you always going to think "why risk it" even when drawdown eases? The virus will still be there. And likely always will be.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Sadly thousands would gather at mates homes blowing a hole in social distancing
  • Options
    We are in the same situation as Big G, the grandkids are a huge part of our life and we miss them terribly. Zoom is ideal technology for these times but it is not the same as a big hug.

It is another sad aspect of this that my wife was told a year ago that the chemo drugs will hold everything back for two years on average. We all have a finite amount of time but when you are given a medical diagnosis like that then not being able to see the grandkids for a fair chunk of that time is even more upsetting.

I have paid the deposit for our annual family Christmas at Center Parcs, I am hoping upon hope that the restrictions are lifted by then.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Fckn hell, there's glassy eyed sycophancy, then there's offering to take on toilet paper duties for someone.

https://twitter.com/halfon4harlowMP/status/1254763225314361347?s=20

An outstanding effort. Has to earn some points toward a knighthood
    I'm almost speechless. I hope he's taking the piss but he almost certainly isn't. Extraordinary. I know there was some of this pass-the-sick-bucket idolatry with Jez but it tended to come from exuberant activists not from senior MPs.
    What wuz 'e thunking?
    I know!

what's this Tory MP trying to say here: Boris Johnson is an animal driven by primitive instincts rather than reason who poses a grave threat to human life? https://t.co/LUR0x69R0h

— Owen Jones🌹 (@OwenJones84) April 27, 2020
    Male lions are also lazy as fuck, leaving the females to do all the hunting, and have sex up to a hundred times a day but only last about 10 seconds. A surprising number of them are into m on m gay sex, too.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Pure speculation. And the govt, Sky and Premier League could advert to warn against anyway.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Which is good. Knowledge is power.

Where are you doing your Thursday clap btw? Are you going out on the street or keeping it inside and private?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The report of children presenting with different but Covid related symptoms was troubling.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Male lions are also lazy as fuck, leaving the females to do all the hunting, and have sex up to a hundred times a day but only last about 10 seconds. A surprising number of them are into m on m gay sex, too.

:smile: - Halfon for the chop?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rkrkrk said:

So what question would you put forward? As a starter - I think any question should be one sentence maximum. Statement-questions that go on and on just waste time and are hard to follow.

Personally I'm interested in:
    "What are you doing to increase the UK's capacity to manufacture vaccine doses?"
    But I accept this may not be of wider interest.

They’ve actually done well on that one

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/industrial-strategy-delivers-new-vaccines-manufacturing-centre-to-lead-the-fight-against-deadly-disease
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

True role models on living life to the fullest.
  • Options

We are in the same situation as Big G, the grandkids are a huge part of our life and we miss them terribly. Zoom is ideal technology for these times but it is not the same as a big hug.

It is another sad aspect of this that my wife was told a year ago that the chemo drugs will hold everything back for two years on average. We all have a finite amount of time but when you are given a medical diagnosis like that then not being able to see the grandkids for a fair chunk of that time is even more upsetting.

I have paid the deposit for our annual family Christmas at Center Parcs, I am hoping upon hope that the restrictions are lifted by then.

I was so sorry to read your news earlier today and really hope you can enjoy Center Parcs this Christmas. Our family and four grandchildren used to love xmas at Whinfell CP but we did stop going a couple of years ago

Best wishes to you and your family
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Where are you doing your Thursday clap btw? Are you going out on the street or keeping it inside and private?
    I do think it`s important to recognise those dedicated key workers whilst so many are in lonely self-isolation.

This Thursday I`ll be clapping for the porn stars.

Probably won`t call it the "Thursday clap" though.
  • Options

That is indeed tragic. Deepest sympathies and have a great Christmas.
  • Options

I was so sorry to read your news earlier today and really hope you can enjoy Center Parcs this Christmas. Our family and four grandchildren used to love xmas at Whinfell CP but we did stop going a couple of years ago

Best wishes to you and your family
    Thanks Big G and thank you to everyone for their best wishes
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Pure speculation. And the govt, Sky and Premier League could advert to warn against anyway.
    It is not really speculation, more human behaviour

It will be very interesting to see if football is allowed back anytime soon
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Yes, the upwards curve definitely slowed down when some of their voluntary measures would have started feeding through to the death rate, though I think some of those figures aren't anywhere near finalised from the 15th onwards.
    I think the 16th, 17th are pretty solid, they both may creep up by no more than half a dozen or more based on previous days.

That would then make them the peak rather than the fabled 8th of April.

As soon as you get past the 17th the data gets seriously lagged for Sweden.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don't suppose Boris does natural history.

btw never mind clapping on Thursday, there's a minute silence at 11 a.m. tomorrow and the poppy fascists will have you for breach of that. It hasn't expressly been declared a weekly event, but I bet it will be.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,285

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment.

Not that either side is evil but people should not be dissuaded from stating a view nor asking a question based on an opinion poll. They’re important points whatever YouGov comes up with.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

True role models on living life to the fullest.
    I think lazy is a bit unkind. If I was having sex 100 times a day I would spend a lot of time lying about as well. And gasping for breath.
  • Options
    eadric said:

The call to prayer echoes across sunny west London.

Imagine if this is accepted. Now imagine that we accept it five times a day, the first at 5am

https://twitter.com/ainajkhan/status/1254006040280158209?s=21

I don't have a problem with it, just as I don't have a problem with church bells chiming every hour and ringing every Sunday
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

Imagine if this is accepted. Now imagine that we accept it five times a day, the first at 5am

It always strikes me, in countries where they do that, how incredibly shit their sound systems are. The levels of distortion are what you'd hear from the commentary on an English point-to-point in the 1970s.

Edit: and I cant believe nobody has identified the train yet.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

For some strange reason I suddenly wish Aslan was PM.

I think we'd all be better off if a magic talking lion who is also Jesus was in charge.

We could also have fascinating discussions on where a centaur's genitalia is located and whether it's horse or human sized.
    Horse from the waist down.

Where are your genitals?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I do think it`s important to recognise those dedicated key workers whilst so many are in lonely self-isolation.

This Thursday I`ll be clapping for the porn stars.

Probably won`t call it the "Thursday clap" though.
    :smile: - so long as they're not applauding you.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

She actually looks a plausible Unionist First Minister, certainly would keep Sturgeon on her toes anyway and her EUphilia would go down better in Scotland than South of the border too
    That's assuming that Mr Rennie will fall over and let her barge him out of the way.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

It always strikes me, in countries where they do that, how incredibly shit their sound systems are. The levels of distortion are what you'd hear from the commentary on an English point-to-point in the 1970s.

Edit: and I cant believe nobody has identified the train yet.
    #

It's a TfLRail (about to be Elizabeth Line) train to or from Reading, isn't it?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,378
    pbr20 said:

kinabalu said:

That is an accurate comparison.
    Moving from anything to The Times is the sensible thing to do.

Incidentally if you live in a rural area and cannot get your paper delivered,...contact

Newsteamgroup.co.uk.. tel 01782 959530 and they will tell you if they can deliver to you. I am three miles from.the shop nearest me so delivery by them is not an option

These guys deliver to your door for £2.70 six days a week and £2.80 for 7 days. It might be a different cost the more isolated you are, but its worth a call....

• Options
    eadric said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

btw never mind clapping on Thursday, there's a minute silence at 11 a.m. tomorrow and the poppy fascists will have you for breach of that. It hasn't expressly been declared a weekly event, but I bet it will be.
    My wife’s parents were busy last Thursday evening. So they forgot to clap. They then had several hostile texts from neighbours, saying Where were you, Why weren’t you clapping

I fucking hate this. With the news that NHS workers are actually slightly LESS likely to die of COVID than the rest of us, I m done with clapping

This Thursday I might go out at 8pm and boo health workers. In a Syrian accent. While wearing a burqa and waving the confederate flag. Just to confuse everyone.
    That is dreadful. I hate that sort of fascism.

Incidentally it struck me the other day that if you wanted to stage a takeover in this country you'd just rebrand everything as our NHS stormtroopers, our NHS Pretorian Guard, and so forth. Who would dare resist?
  • Options
    eadric said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

My wife’s parents were busy last Thursday evening. So they forgot to clap. They then had several hostile texts from neighbours, saying Where were you, Why weren’t you clapping

I fucking hate this. With the news that NHS workers are actually slightly LESS likely to die of COVID than the rest of us, I m done with clapping

This Thursday I might go out at 8pm and boo health workers. In a Syrian accent. While wearing a burqa and waving the confederate flag. Just to confuse everyone.
    If you adjust for age I think HCWs do die of Covid more than the norm.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

How could she possibly be sure of that though? Are you always going to think "why risk it" even when drawdown eases? The virus will still be there. And likely always will be.
    Most older people will I think notch down the frequency that they get really close to people bar actual partners who live with us. We're not an especially huggy country anyway, and will become less so. I can't imagine ever going to a crowded pub again, partly as I didn't even like crowded pubs. It won't be a dramatic change, but more a shift on the margins, and for some - like you and most young people? - I expect it will wear off altogether.
  • Options
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I don't have a problem with it, just as I don't have a problem with church bells chiming every hour and ringing every Sunday
    You haven’t travelled much, have you? The call to prayer is very intrusive and divisive, where it is allowed in multicultural countries

In India it’s one of the main causes of Hindu-Islamic tension, which has led to horrible violence. Hindus often cite it as one reason they dislike their Muslim neighbours.

I’d rather we avoided Indian style anger. Because that noise, heard 5 times a day, every day, for the rest of your life, drives people nuts
    I heard it regularly when I was in Bethlehem and Nablus only last year.

If we are a nation which allows religious freedom, as we do, then that has to include allowing full respect for religious tradition, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Hindu and in areas with a large Muslim population such as London that would include the call to prayer from Mosques
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's assuming that Mr Rennie will fall over and let her barge him out of the way.
    He is rumoured to be standing down next year
  • Options
    Re Risk to footballers...think damn sight safer to keep them busy on the pitch than what they getting up to in their downtime with the hookers and parties.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,285

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I disagree. I can't see any evidence for that at all given how solid the lockdown has been.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I disagree. I can't see any evidence for that at all given how solid the lockdown has been.
    Well there's been no temptation to do it since all the games have been cancelled.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

You haven’t travelled much, have you? The call to prayer is very intrusive and divisive, where it is allowed in multicultural countries

In India it’s one of the main causes of Hindu-Islamic tension, which has led to horrible violence. Hindus often cite it as one reason they dislike their Muslim neighbours.

I’d rather we avoided Indian style anger. Because that noise, heard 5 times a day, every day, for the rest of your life, drives people nuts
    I heard it regularly when I was in Bethlehem and Nablus only last year.

If we are a nation which allows religious freedom, as we do, then that has to include allowing full respect for religious tradition, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Hindu and in areas with a large Muslim population such as London that would include the call to prayer from Mosques
    They can do what they like but they should not intrude on others.
This discussion has been closed.