Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris is back but there’ll be no premature move to ease the lo

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"The spokesman said that government now has the capacity to carry out 53,000 tests per day."

Even if we go with this spin, where are they going to magic up another 47,000 test capacity in 3-4 days?

I find this argument pedantic and petulant. Its not bad to aim for the moon, even if you miss you can reach the stars.

There's been roughly a five-fold increase in testing capabilities in the past few weeks and further capabilities are coming online rapidly. Whether the target is met on Thursday or not is less important than what those increased capabilities that followed that target meant.

If a student who was currently getting D's were to say they realise they need to buckle down, study and try to strive for an A-grade were to study hard and achieve a B would you mock them saying "You got a B? Hah! That's pathetic you said you were going to get an A!" Or would you say "You've done well, that's much improved."
    Er, I'm no astrophysicist (no, really) - but if you fail to get to the moon which stars exactly do you reach?
    What did I just say about being pedantic? ;)
    Don't blame me, Socrates started it.
    If Patrick Moore taught me anything, it is that when people point at the sky and ask what's that bright star, the answer is the planet Venus.
    Right of right wing, Patrick Moore. Terrible politics. And yet if he told me Saturn had rings (around it) I believed him implicitly. I trusted him in his area of expertise. There's a lesson there, I think.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2020
    Regarding the FinancialTimes Unexplained Excess Death figures.

I've just looked at Sweden and I simply do not see where they are getting 40% deaths above Covid.

In April from the 1st to the 16th Swedish 2020 deaths were 5,642, this is 1,586 more than the fire year average of 4,056.

Swedish Covid Deaths for that time frame are 1399, which leaves 187 deaths as an excess not explained by Covid. That is about 12% Unexplained deaths, not the 40% which the FT claims.

Does anyone want to tell me I am bad at maths?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    IanB2 said:

Andrew said:

Looks like the US numbers are even more awful than so far reported:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1254792999080349697

Globally the world has now passed 3 million, and by the end of the day the US will surely pass 1 million.

Still, according to the ‘model’ being touted on this site by Henrietta and Eadric not so long ago, we should be at 200 million confirmed cases by now.
    Globally deaths are at 26.7/million. Using the 1% number that'd indicate 2670/million cases, or 20.3 million.

No chance global cases are only 3 million.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791

IanB2 said:

I thought the story was that Boris wanted to promise 250,000 tests daily?

6 weeks tomorrow since he said

"We're massively increasing the testing to see whether you have it now and ramping up daily testing from 5,000 a day, to 10,000 to 25,000 and then up at 250,000,"
    Yes, the "100,000" was Hancock trying to bring some order - and IIRC 20,000 were for the antibody test which doesn't work yet. That said I'd rather he aim for 100,000 and miss than 50,000 and beat it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556

So testing lots of people is a trick, to reach a target to test lots of people.
    Yes it probably is but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. It is all valuable data.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    eadric said:

That means 149,000 per million have been infected.

With 1,153 per million already dead (and those who are going to die from existing infections are going to increase that number), that implies the true IFR (including asymptomatic individuals) is somewhere in excess of 0.77%. If the death toll continues linearly, that'd put the IFR on deaths from infections to this date at approximately 1.0%.

That's a touch higher than most estimates so far.
    Spookily close to the initial estimates right at the beginning, a death rate of 1%

I recall your estimates being significantly higher.

Whereas the emerging picture suggests 0.5% may be closer to the mark.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,153
    "You journos are so shit at asking questions, we are outsourcing your role to the public...."
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

"You journos are so shit at asking questions, we are outsourcing your role to the public...."

That`s exactly what I thought!
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Hancock announces phasing out of the media from the daily briefing.

1Q from Joe Public today as a start.
  • Options

Not targeted, though, is it.

It's all about the target.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Andrew said:

Looks like the US numbers are even more awful than so far reported:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1254792999080349697

Globally the world has now passed 3 million, and by the end of the day the US will surely pass 1 million.

Still, according to the ‘model’ being touted on this site by Henrietta and Eadric not so long ago, we should be at 200 million confirmed cases by now.
    Globally deaths are at 26.7/million. Using the 1% number that'd indicate 2670/million cases, or 20.3 million.

No chance global cases are only 3 million.
    Fine, but the models were always working from published confirmed cases, not actual real world cases (which we can only guess at). In the early days the failure to test in the US meant that the early data points in the series were underestimated by at least as much as the current data.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    4,310 positive out of 37,024 tests - % continues to fall dramatically.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,025
    Please let the public question be who'd win a fight between a grizzly and a lion?
    It'd improve the average quality.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Despite low levels of testing in Scotland and Wales.

• Options
    Lol, the Tory government finally adopts Corbyn’s approach to PMQs
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,847
    Kevzara trial a failure.
    Might suggest that Actemra's odds aren't great, either; though the two drugs are somewhat different.

https://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein/status/1254727441580466180
  • Options
    £60,000 to be given to the families of NHS workers who have lost their lives in this crisis
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lol^2 if the question isn't the worst asked today.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,598

Yes it probably is but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. It is all valuable data.
    Besides, given the possibility of asymptomatic carriers, isn't testing everyone who is going into hospital pretty sensible?
  • Options

I wish they'd all leave out the "sad deaths" boilerplate.

Yes, when expressions of sympathy become mere boilerplate, they are just irritating.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/status/1253781288735199232
    Blimey. Was it the water pump? Send for Dr John Snow.

I haven't read the report, but given the top room has the male toilet and the bottom room has the female toilet, I wonder if the rooms were also segregated by sex?

• Options
    TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Lol^2 if the question isn't the worst asked today.
    Lol^3 if they don’t actually answer the question
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    TGOHF666 said:

'Tanya from Tewksbury would like to know if the prime minister is most like a magnificent lion, his mane blowing in the wind, or a wild stallion, his mane also blowing in the wind?'
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620
    kinabalu said:

If Foxy is to be believed, there is an issue with COVID on non-COVID wards. So testing there is a good idea.
  • Options

£60,000 to be given to the families of NHS workers who have lost their lives in this crisis

A clever political move I guess - but not without risk. No doubt they will be criticised for putting a price on a life.
  • Options
    The only model that counts is the simplistic spreadsheet model
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XTwPjI5l4d_xZAXOQy72LU8eRoPJyfU6fp9Hgx1flUo/edit?usp=sharing

We continue to run about a month ahead of it. If we are still a month ahead of it next month then things start getting scary. I fully expect the spreadsheet model to start catching up with us fairly rapidly over the next month.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

A clever political move I guess - but not without risk. No doubt they will be criticised for putting a price on a life.
    Just the right thing to do really
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    edited April 2020
    [deleted]
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Surely that is to be expected as testing is expanded to include people less likely to have the virus?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    Stocky said:

It's not as though that is unprecedented.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

They have been doing this at Southampton Hospital for weeks, my friend was admitted with an irregular heart beat and he was tested despite showing no symptoms.
    Seems like a very good idea to me. If your friend is an asymptomatic carrier should he be in a ward with others with heart problems?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439
    Alistair said:

I've just looked at Sweden and I simply do not see where they are getting 40% deaths above Covid.
    That is about 12% Unexplained deaths, not the 40% which the FT claims.

I think I saw in the FT explanation that they are doing some extra adjustment to account for the extra lives saved by the lockdown - due to reduction in flu transmission, road fatalities, etc.

No idea how good this adjustment of there's is, but it is plausible as an explanation for the discrepancy.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Alistair said:

My head hurts so not going to run the numbers, but when were Sweden's last overall death stats released? As of April 21st the FT only showed them up to Apr7th.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

They have been doing this at Southampton Hospital for weeks, my friend was admitted with an irregular heart beat and he was tested despite showing no symptoms.
    Seems like a very good idea to me. If your friend is an asymptomatic carrier should he be in a ward with others with heart problems?
    I really thought all hospitals were doing this already
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750
    This tactic is borrowed from Mr Corbyn ;-), but with the chap giving the answer.

"I have en email from Miss Marple in St Mary Mead".

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Incidentally, there's also a massive Elder Scrolls VI leak. Not sure if that's accurate, though.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439
    Stocky said:

Well indeed. £60,000 is an oddly precise figure. You do wonder how they came up with it.

Would have thought that there would already be a death benefit from the NHS Pension scheme too.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andrew said:

Alistair said:

My head hurts so not going to run the numbers, but when were Sweden's last overall death stats released? As of April 21st the FT only showed them up to Apr7th.
    Statistical Office released a set on the 24th, but they have a clear lag in them so I only took up to the 16th. The previous set was released on the 17th and the lag on them meant you could only take the data up the the 7th or so.

https://www.scb.se/en/finding-statistics/statistics-by-subject-area/population/population-composition/population-statistics/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Can I hug my grandkids after the lockdown ends?

No, unless you became a gran at a young age.

• Options
    Quality of life, not quantity. Hug your grandchildern FFS.
  • Options

Alistair said:

That is about 12% Unexplained deaths, not the 40% which the FT claims.

I think I saw in the FT explanation that they are doing some extra adjustment to account for the extra lives saved by the lockdown - due to reduction in flu transmission, road fatalities, etc.

No idea how good this adjustment of there's is, but it is plausible as an explanation for the discrepancy.
    Ah, that would make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Stocky said:

Well indeed. £60,000 is an oddly precise figure. You do wonder how they came up with it.

Would have thought that there would already be a death benefit from the NHS Pension scheme too.
    Yes, a bloody good one. It`s a political move - medals for NHS workers etc.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318

MikeL said:

Surely that is to be expected as testing is expanded to include people less likely to have the virus?
    Yes, but we discussed this yesterday:

1) You must have symptoms to get a test
    2) Pillar 2 % positive was very similar to Pillar 1 % positive (as of yesterday - await today's numbers)
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Incidentally, there's also a massive Elder Scrolls VI leak. Not sure if that's accurate, though.

About damn time. Though I'm more of a Dragon Age man.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Also interesting.

A rapid, low cost, and highly sensitive SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic based on whole genome sequencing
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.25.061499v1.full.pdf
    ...Here, we introduce a low-cost, high-throughput method for diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection, dubbed Pathogen- Oriented Low-Cost Assembly & Re-Sequencing (POLAR), that enhances sensitivity by aiming to amplify the entire SARS-CoV-2 genome rather than targeting particular viral loci, as in typical RT- PCR assays. To achieve this goal, we combine a SARS-CoV-2 enrichment method developed by the ARTIC Network (https://artic.network/) with short-read DNA sequencing and de novo genome assembly. We are able to reliably (>95% accuracy) detect SARS-CoV-2 at concentrations of 84 genome equivalents per milliliter, better than the reported limits of detection of almost all diagnostic methods currently approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. At higher concentrations, we are able to reliably assemble the SARS-CoV-2 genome in the sample, often with no gaps and perfect accuracy. Such genome assemblies enable the spread of the disease to be analyzed much more effectively than would be possible with an ordinary yes/no diagnostic, and can help identify vaccine and drug targets. Using POLAR, a single person can process 192 samples over the course of an 8-hour experiment, at a cost of ~$30/patient, enabling a 24-hour turnaround with sequencing and data analysis time included. Further testing and refinement will likely enable greater enhancements in the sensitivity of the above approach...

So slower than (for example) The Abbott test, which can give a readout in less than half an hour, but much more accurate, and significantly higher throughput.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I hugged my Gran, gave her Covid and killed her. Just what every grandchild wants....
  • Options
    Yawn. Hundred thousand. Yawn. Does ANYONE care other than journos trying for a scalp?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

It is very painful to my wife and I that we cannot hug our grandchildren
  • Options

kinabalu said:

So he was at the Times. Now at the New Statesman.. tells you all you need to.know.

I genuinely don't know how to take this.

How is it that moving between those two particular organs tells me all I need to know about a journalist?
    Is it anything like moving from the Times to the Telegraph?
    I haven't read the Telegraph since back when it was an oddly comforting insight into "trad" shires values inc some very good cricket journalism. It was also the physically widest of the broadsheets such that you could hide all but your legs with it when slouched in a club chair after lunch. Downside - it made your arms ache.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Hug the critters then. Just make sure the curtain switching stasi isn`t watching.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

'Tanya from Tewksbury would like to know if the prime minister is most like a magnificent lion, his mane blowing in the wind, or a wild stallion, his mane also blowing in the wind?'
    Or like a flatulent stallion, blowing from the other end...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Yawn. Hundred thousand. Yawn. Does ANYONE care other than journos trying for a scalp?

Probably not, although I will cut them some slack on this in that the government offered that scalping opportunity.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I suppose Hancock does. Silly, though, I agree. The curse of the arbitrary target.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Probably not, although I will cut them some slack on this in that the government offered that scalping opportunity.
    Since the target was announced by what percentage has the quantity of tests gone up so far?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Hug the critters then. Just make sure the curtain switching stasi isn`t watching.
    Sorry, we would not be so irresponsible

The day will come but not now
  • Options
    Why is RO being 0.5 the "magic number" asks Peston.

FFS. Have they listened to a word in the last six weeks.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407
    edited April 2020
    Peston asking if those coming into the NHS will get the £60,000 death benefit
  • Options
    :lol: Whitty says he has never said 0.5
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    MikeL said:

37k, quite a jump in testing numbers....only another 63k to go in 4 days.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    Nigelb said:

Also interesting.

A rapid, low cost, and highly sensitive SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic based on whole genome sequencing
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.25.061499v1.full.pdf
    ...Here, we introduce a low-cost, high-throughput method for diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection, dubbed Pathogen- Oriented Low-Cost Assembly & Re-Sequencing (POLAR), that enhances sensitivity by aiming to amplify the entire SARS-CoV-2 genome rather than targeting particular viral loci, as in typical RT- PCR assays. To achieve this goal, we combine a SARS-CoV-2 enrichment method developed by the ARTIC Network (https://artic.network/) with short-read DNA sequencing and de novo genome assembly. We are able to reliably (>95% accuracy) detect SARS-CoV-2 at concentrations of 84 genome equivalents per milliliter, better than the reported limits of detection of almost all diagnostic methods currently approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. At higher concentrations, we are able to reliably assemble the SARS-CoV-2 genome in the sample, often with no gaps and perfect accuracy. Such genome assemblies enable the spread of the disease to be analyzed much more effectively than would be possible with an ordinary yes/no diagnostic, and can help identify vaccine and drug targets. Using POLAR, a single person can process 192 samples over the course of an 8-hour experiment, at a cost of ~$30/patient, enabling a 24-hour turnaround with sequencing and data analysis time included. Further testing and refinement will likely enable greater enhancements in the sensitivity of the above approach...

So slower than (for example) The Abbott test, which can give a readout in less than half an hour, but much more accurate, and significantly higher throughput.

I tend to distrust any account of a diagnostic test that reports accuracy rather than sensitivity and specificity, because it makes me think the authors don't know what they're talking about.

That aside, promising :wink:
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    As the timing of the end of the lock-down depends on the rate of infection, and therefore the numbers eventually dying, that would pretty distasteful
  • Options

:lol: Whitty says he has never said 0.5

Prof Peston strikes again.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I suppose Hancock does. Silly, though, I agree. The curse of the arbitrary target.
    I think Hancock will get away with it but it was an unnecessary promise
  • Options
    Peston asks about whether generous payment buys off NHS staff suing.

Tin ear question of the day.
  • Options
    Let's hope someone asks why the NHS think they can build an app that doesn't follow the proposal by Apple and Google.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,159
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"The spokesman said that government now has the capacity to carry out 53,000 tests per day."

Even if we go with this spin, where are they going to magic up another 47,000 test capacity in 3-4 days?

I find this argument pedantic and petulant. Its not bad to aim for the moon, even if you miss you can reach the stars.

There's been roughly a five-fold increase in testing capabilities in the past few weeks and further capabilities are coming online rapidly. Whether the target is met on Thursday or not is less important than what those increased capabilities that followed that target meant.

If a student who was currently getting D's were to say they realise they need to buckle down, study and try to strive for an A-grade were to study hard and achieve a B would you mock them saying "You got a B? Hah! That's pathetic you said you were going to get an A!" Or would you say "You've done well, that's much improved."
    Er, I'm no astrophysicist (no, really) - but if you fail to get to the moon which stars exactly do you reach?
    What did I just say about being pedantic? ;)
    Don't blame me, Socrates started it.
    If Patrick Moore taught me anything, it is that when people point at the sky and ask what's that bright star, the answer is the planet Venus.
    Right of right wing, Patrick Moore. Terrible politics. And yet if he told me Saturn had rings (around it) I believed him implicitly. I trusted him in his area of expertise. There's a lesson there, I think.
    Moore once called for female presenters to be banned from BBC radio as their voices were too quiet.

(On your lesson point, I agree, by the way)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    kinabalu said:

If tests are measured in material goods (tests) that have an economic value, then it is silly to waste them on reaching an arbitrary target. However, if a test is measured more by the admin, doctor, and lab time it takes to do the test, and that capacity is a non-recoverable resource, like a hotel room night, then it makes sense to just test everyone you can lay your hands on.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

So he was at the Times. Now at the New Statesman.. tells you all you need to.know.

How is it that moving between those two particular organs tells me all I need to know about a journalist?
    I haven't read the Telegraph since back when it was an oddly comforting insight into "trad" shires values inc some very good cricket journalism. It was also the physically widest of the broadsheets such that you could hide all but your legs with it when slouched in a club chair after lunch. Downside - it made your arms ache.
    The Telegraph had the easiest cryptic crossword of the broadsheets, and the best cartoons after it bought Alex from the Independent (and Matt). Not to mention erotic dreams about Matt Hancock.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/middle-class-signs-losing-plot-lockdown/
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

He is idiotic
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Let's hope someone asks why the NHS think they can build an app that doesn't follow the proposal by Apple and Google.

The app is the big question of the day they should be asking about. Firstly, privacy issues and secondly we have decided to diverge from the Apple / Google APIs and going for a centralized system.

This is a big call. If this thing is a shambles, it effects everything.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yes, a bloody good one. It`s a political move - medals for NHS workers etc.
    There will quite possibly be some form of industrial injury liability
  • Options
    Hancock

Germany has a capacity of 800k a week - only uses 450k...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

My mother is leftish in her views, but took the Telegraph while abroad as it made a better sunshade.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Yeah, given both the 16th and 17th have deaths over a hundred that pheonix44 graph is wrong
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

Can I hug my grandkids after the lockdown ends?

No, unless you became a gran at a young age.

Must admit that's better than I thought would be asked........ e.g. Is Capt Tom to be knighted?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I disagree. I've said a few times I don't care whether the target is met actually or not, but what mattered was increasing testing numbers. Putting the target out their meant putting pressure on the government and the Civil Service and industry to ramp up testing. Which is all that bloody matters.

Whether an arbitrary target is hit or not is moot. If testing numbers are up because of the target then the target has saved lives.
  • Options

The app is the big question of the day they should be asking about. Firstly, privacy issues and secondly we have decided to diverge from the Apple / Google APIs and going for a centralized system.

I predict it will be a shambles.

Apple and Google are the best in the world at this kind of thing. Why on earth go against their knowledge and skill and try to build your own solution with a centralised system.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I dont think its the lockdown rules that concern them, more like the impact of catching COVID at their time of life.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Alistair said:
    Alistair could you plot the graph so it's 5.6:1, that about matches the population ratio between England and Sweden.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I disagree. I've said a few times I don't care whether the target is met actually or not, but what mattered was increasing testing numbers. Putting the target out their meant putting pressure on the government and the Civil Service and industry to ramp up testing. Which is all that bloody matters.

Whether an arbitrary target is hit or not is moot. If testing numbers are up because of the target then the target has saved lives.
    Good point
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF666 said:

Just 1,137 tests performed yesterday in Scotland.

Wales are also really struggling to expand the number of tests. They have quietly dropped their own target of 5,000 a day.
    1137 tests is piss poor for Scotland, they should be around 8% of the entire UK.
    Maybe Dundee Uni should have held on to these?
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjYk7L_hInpAhVKQMAKHfsDDBsQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/no-royal-marines-did-not-forcibly-take-coronavirus-equipment-from-scotland-for-england/&usg=AOvVaw0k1HXNao1bfx8ikB8w75NJ
  • Options
    Re: Sunak’s new bounceback loans, what’s the turnover limit for companies to qualify? I can’t find that key detail anywhere.

(The 25% of turnover to a max of £50k isn’t the same thing, ie. does a company with a £1m turnover qualify for the £50k, or is it too large?)
  • Options
    All that Hogwarts education and Harry Potter ends up at the lowly FT.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF666 said:

Just 1,137 tests performed yesterday in Scotland.

Wales are also really struggling to expand the number of tests. They have quietly dropped their own target of 5,000 a day.
    1137 tests is piss poor for Scotland, they should be around 8% of the entire UK.
    Maybe Dundee Uni should have held on to these?
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjYk7L_hInpAhVKQMAKHfsDDBsQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/no-royal-marines-did-not-forcibly-take-coronavirus-equipment-from-scotland-for-england/&usg=AOvVaw0k1HXNao1bfx8ikB8w75NJ
    Can you confirm that the test sites at Glasgow Airport and Inverness are taking bookings yet cannot perform tests ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Captain Tom Moore is on £29,150,260 in donations. Let's hope he reaches £30 million by his 100th birthday on Thursday.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

Amazing. Puts him right up there with the great NHS fundraisers. Stormed past Botham - I think the only person ahead of him is you know who.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    edited April 2020

Apple and Google are the best in the world at this kind of thing. Why on earth go against their knowledge and skill and try to build your own solution with a centralised system.
    No, no, it's British. It'll be the best in the world.

My overseas sources suggest that the view of our Government that all has been handled as well as possible by the best people in the world isn't a truth universally acknowledged.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Tells you everything you need to know about his mindset.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I dont think its the lockdown rules that concern them, more like the impact of catching COVID at their time of life.
    Exactly.

My wife and I are high risk and will not take any chances and will be very wary even after lockdown is lifted
  • Options

They should just demand Apple and Google build an app and make it an automatic download (ie you have to proactively opt out of it, and if you do, you remain locked down)
  • Options
    Looks like quarantine is on its way for flights into the UK
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

That`s an interesting point. Standing over two metres from my neighbours during my walk yesterday caused me to reflect on this. We`ve been in lockdown for so long that the chance of catching the virus off the other is vanishingly small. So why are we doing it? - it`s as though there`s some invisible force field between us. I don`t think it`s health anymore, I think it`s obedience to authority. Following the letter rather than the spirit. Which worries me greatly.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    edited April 2020

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

But a target that is unachievable is merely dispiriting. If you really want to motivate, you need to set targets that can actually be achieved with a sufficient amount of determination and hard work. Setting unrealistic targets makes people give up since they have no hope of reaching them. So it's likely that the current level of testing would have been reached with or without Hancock's target.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

No, no, it's British. It'll be the best in the world.

My overseas sources suggest that the view of our Government that all has been handled as well as possible by the best people in the world isn't a truth universally acknowledged.
    When it comes to highly advanced computer tech, the UK is exceptionally good. ARM, Deep Mind, GCHQ etc etc etc. And why the likes of Amazon have big R&D centre here.

But this is an app created by the NHS, and we are shunning Apple / Google API, built by the people who build the O/S that run the phones. It seems a bit like asking getting the bloke down the local garage who does Fords, to have a look at an F1 car to see what's wrong with it rather than Mclaren engineers.

I read somewhere that GCHQ had found a loophole to enable the functionality that Apple says isn't possible, but that sounds like a dangerous game. If they patch it, you are buggered and you are trying to make it do something it isn't suppose to do.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

They should just demand Apple and Google build an app and make it an automatic download (ie you have to proactively opt out of it, and if you do, you remain locked down)
    I would have thought a call from the government saying, now about your tax returns...might get them onboard.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

That`s an interesting point. Standing over two metres from my neighbours during my walk yesterday caused me to reflect on this. We`ve been in lockdown for so long that the chance of catching the virus off the other is vanishingly small. So why are we doing it? - it`s as though there`s some invisible force field between us. I don`t think it`s health anymore, I think it`s obedience to authority. Following the letter rather than the spirit. Which worries me greatly.
    In our case it is our judgment that we need to stay in lockdown for as long as necessary to give us the best chance of achieving our diamond wedding in 4 years
  • Options

Floater said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Exactly.

My wife and I are high risk and will not take any chances and will be very wary even after lockdown is lifted
    You`ll never be out of lockdown if you won`t take ANY chances. No matter how quickly and when we exit lockdown the virus will still be present. Even if you stay holed up for two or three years and then a vaccine appears it won`t be 100% effective. Quality of life not quantity.
This discussion has been closed.