Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Brits are doing during the lockdown – new Ipsos-MORI poll

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

kinabalu said:

A bit more than just that.

Well come on then ...
    Have a look at how the Spanish Flu was combatted in the second wave and I think the role of the Nightingales becomes clearer.

Did we shut the economy down at the time?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Its no worry if you don't know what you're talking about, kinabalu pal, we'll just add it to the list.

Who's the 'we' in 'we'll'?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

kinabalu said:

Well come on then ...
    Have a look at how the Spanish Flu was combatted in the second wave and I think the role of the Nightingales becomes clearer.

No, but 50 million died.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140

" a new paper by Mikko Paunio, a Finnish epidemiologist and key scientific advisor to the Finish Government, estimates that the IFR is 0.13%, making the virus roughly as dangerous as seasonal flu. Paunio submitted an earlier version of this paper to a MedRxiv prepublication site, as well as PLOS Medicine, but both rejected it. Consequently, I’ve decided to publish it on this site. If any epidemiologists want to challenge Paunio’s conclusions, feel free to do so in the comments."

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

https://lockdownsceptics.org/mikko-paunio-paper/

"Assuming a 7-day lag from infection to antibody production and a 14-day lag from clinical infection to death".

There is a reason for peer-review in science.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,590
    RobD said:

" a new paper by Mikko Paunio, a Finnish epidemiologist and key scientific advisor to the Finish Government, estimates that the IFR is 0.13%, making the virus roughly as dangerous as seasonal flu. Paunio submitted an earlier version of this paper to a MedRxiv prepublication site, as well as PLOS Medicine, but both rejected it. Consequently, I’ve decided to publish it on this site. If any epidemiologists want to challenge Paunio’s conclusions, feel free to do so in the comments."

Shouldn't the fact it was rejected twice be ringing alarm bells?
    Has it been peer reviewed by Robert Peston and Piers Morgan?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

edb said:

We already have that segregation in teaching.

Those that are excellent, are (generally) sought after.

Those that aren't, (generally) end up in the schools that don't have a choice.

Not sure it works very efficiently as you think. You can't really 'seek after' a good individual teacher. And there are many frictions that make teachers stay where they are, or move for reasons other the opportunity to teach the richest kids.

Also, needless to say, the situation you describe does not lend itself to good outcomes for even above-median kids.

Mrs B's school (league table-topping private girls school) is finding it hard to even get applicants for some posts and they pay well above average.
    Meanwhile one of my neighbours chooses to teach in a sink school out of quite an interesting sense of moral duty.
    Oh, it's completely inefficient and ridiculously hap-hazard.

But I have witnessed a Head Teacher using all kinds of tugging-the-grapevine stuff to find out if applicant X is good or not.

There is also the question of what "good" means? Riot control or motivation? Stretching the top set or getting as many as possible average pupils through? There was an interview somewhere with David Cameron musing on whether Eton was becoming an academic hothouse at the expense of rich clots, but whether it is or isn't, we might suspect that demands on teachers will be different in each case. For boarding schools, where students are onsite and awake for triple the time, can a new teacher run extra-curricular activities? Is there a star name? A chap in the betting shop chose his son's public school because the cricket coach was a recently retired Test player. Shades of moosehead professors at American universities!

And even if you can agree on what you are looking for, can you judge these qualities? We've heard a lot about test reliability recently with regard to the pandemic, and interviews are notoriously unreliable. Even supposing you get any applicants at all, as @edb has mentioned.
    I agree completely - the current situation seems to be a denial of differences in ability between teachers and then trying to fix the problem by all kinds of back channel actions.

In the case of teachers that did pass their probation - at one couldn't keep order in a class. The other was simply not good at getting the children to learn. Their replacements - teaching exactly the same children - did manage to do both.

In other words, the human reaction to a system that doesn't work - go around it.
    Rather than fix it. Depressingly common.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Well come on then ...

No, but 50 million died.
    In the UK?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rkrkrk said:

Betting post - you can lay the date of the next election being in 2021 at 9.8.
    Can anyone think why we would have an election next year?

Boris has his big majority, it's hard to see why he would want to risk it...

I agree - a great bet. Only problem is that you've to lock up a fair chunk of cash for 19 months.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Well come on then ...

No, but 50 million died.
    In the UK?
    228,000. About 0.6% of the population.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/The-Spanish-Flu-pandemic-of-1918/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

edb said:

We already have that segregation in teaching.

Those that are excellent, are (generally) sought after.

Those that aren't, (generally) end up in the schools that don't have a choice.

Not sure it works very efficiently as you think. You can't really 'seek after' a good individual teacher. And there are many frictions that make teachers stay where they are, or move for reasons other the opportunity to teach the richest kids.

Also, needless to say, the situation you describe does not lend itself to good outcomes for even above-median kids.

Mrs B's school (league table-topping private girls school) is finding it hard to even get applicants for some posts and they pay well above average.
    Meanwhile one of my neighbours chooses to teach in a sink school out of quite an interesting sense of moral duty.
    Oh, it's completely inefficient and ridiculously hap-hazard.

But I have witnessed a Head Teacher using all kinds of tugging-the-grapevine stuff to find out if applicant X is good or not.

There is also the question of what "good" means? Riot control or motivation? Stretching the top set or getting as many as possible average pupils through? There was an interview somewhere with David Cameron musing on whether Eton was becoming an academic hothouse at the expense of rich clots, but whether it is or isn't, we might suspect that demands on teachers will be different in each case. For boarding schools, where students are onsite and awake for triple the time, can a new teacher run extra-curricular activities? Is there a star name? A chap in the betting shop chose his son's public school because the cricket coach was a recently retired Test player. Shades of moosehead professors at American universities!

And even if you can agree on what you are looking for, can you judge these qualities? We've heard a lot about test reliability recently with regard to the pandemic, and interviews are notoriously unreliable. Even supposing you get any applicants at all, as @edb has mentioned.
    I agree completely - the current situation seems to be a denial of differences in ability between teachers and then trying to fix the problem by all kinds of back channel actions.

In the case of teachers that did pass their probation - at one couldn't keep order in a class. The other was simply not good at getting the children to learn. Their replacements - teaching exactly the same children - did manage to do both.

In other words, the human reaction to a system that doesn't work - go around it.
    Rather than fix it. Depressingly common.
    Fix it means trying to fight the entire infrastructure of the education industry. You'll get reviled in the Guardian and the TES. And get nowhere.

If you are just trying to get a teacher for 4b, the average School Head may take a short cut, rather than do the above.
  • Options

RobD said:

It was peer reviewed by Richard Horton, Toby Young, and Peter Hitchens.

His website address tells you where his views lies.

I mean lockdown sceptics?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,542
    HYUFD said:

A windfall tax won't help newspapers become sustainable.

Leaving aside the abhorrence of windfall taxes, they bring income in a one-off way.

Sustainability means something that can be maintained for years. Pretending a one-off tax take can be used for long term spending is daft.

We also need to consider why the brute force of state taxation should be used to supply funds to private enterprise.

Newspapers seem ridiculously expensive to me now. I enjoy reading them and can comfortably afford them but paying £2 for a daily paper seems extraodinary when I can get the metro or standard for free plus news whenever I want it online or on tv.

At 50p Id start to be interested again.
    50 years ago there was no internet and no 24 hour news and only 3 channels on the TV.

Newspapers were the main source of news for most people and had a mass readership so could afford to price themselves cheaply and still make a profit.

Now newspapers if they want to make a profit have to price their papers much more highly to make a profit from a much smaller readership, especially if they are broadsheets which will not be funded completely by advertisers for cheap, populist fare that attracts more readers but want to stick to higher quality articles which their select readership will pay more for
    Newspapers were as much about entertainment at least as much as news, at least since the coming of the BBC. They gave readers something to keep the mind active during commuting or just sitting at home or, for posh people, at the club.

When I was briefly in newspapers decades ago, the rule of thumb was that broadsheets were paid by advertising, tabloids by cover price. Even so, losses were common. For instance, The Times hated the fact it was subsidised by the Sunday Times (which used to be a completely unrelated paper, btw; the similar name is a coincidence).

Now, the main problems are fewer commuters, and the ones who are left are entertained by free papers, phones, kindles and so on. This means that newsagents often do not bother opening early so even if said commuters wanted to buy a paper, they can't: a viscious circle. Which creates the other viscious circle earlier in this subthread: higher prices mean fewer readers mean higher prices. And less money for writers and journalists so quality falls so readers depart which means less money...

• Options

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Well come on then ...

No, but 50 million died.
    In the UK?
    Of course globally, but the response has been pretty much the same around the world. In the UK it was around a quarter of a million.
  • Options

RobD said:

It was peer reviewed by Richard Horton, Toby Young, and Peter Hitchens.

His website address tells you where his views lies.

I mean lockdown sceptics?
    So it's passed the basic screening and is awaiting Peston & Morgan then?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Fraser Nelson's lacerating article on government policy is a must read.

Among the stats he reveals is that a third of the excess deaths in recent weeks cannot be attributed to Coronavirus.

It might be inferred from that is that lockdown isn't just destroying our economy. It may very well already be costing lives. Significant numbers of them.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I was worried about it being rejected from two papers, but that was before I saw that it was accepted by prestigious publication "lockdownsceptics.org"
  • Options

Among the stats he reveals is that a third of the excess deaths in recent weeks cannot be attributed to Coronavirus.

It might be inferred from that is that lockdown isn't just destroying our economy. It may very well already be costing lives. Significant numbers of them.

Cannot, or weren't?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

Yep, there is something vampiric about it.
    In the case of Sir Mick, the quality of muses must have gone down the pan a bit, he & Keef haven't produced a banger for going on 40 years (though they have a great heap of laurel strewn bangers to rest upon I will happily admit).

Last great Stones album for me was Some Girls (1978). Which I actually like more now than some of the more celebrated ones.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cannot, or weren't?
    I think he used cannot.
  • Options
    BBC Radio 4 News:

11 people under 45 with no underlying health conditions have died. 9 men and 2 women.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cannot, or weren't?
    I think he used cannot.
    Then that should be obvious on the death certificate. Cannot implies there is no chance of it being related to coronavirus.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Even when Johnson is inevitably brought down by a scandal he can't lie his way out of and the tories change leader; that won't be enough to trigger a GE. It would have to be something that would cause 40+ tories to vote against the government in a VoC. Given that your average tory MP has the integrity of a jackal it's hard to imagine what that something would be.
    The last two Conservative Prime Ministers who have taken over mid-parliament have of their own accord held early elections: Theresa May and Boris himself. I'd not rule out the next one doing the same even though there is no need.

One other possible factor: the Scots voting for independence, if the Scottish Government holds its own referendum, or the SNP (not strictly the same thing) holds an unofficial one.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133
    Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio 4 News:

11 people under 45 with no underlying health conditions have died. 9 men and 2 women.

Today or in total ?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Well, one thing at least seems to be getting back to normal. Today I had a nuisance phone call. First one since the UK's lock-down started. The silence of the phones in that respect has been very welcome, only times the phone has rung it's been people I know.

Good afternoon, everybody. PB has been (is being) a wonderful resource during the days of isolation.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    That will be interesting.

The Conservative Party wants more scrutiny of the government north of Hadrian's Wall; less south.
  • Options

Its no worry if you don't know what you're talking about, kinabalu pal, we'll just add it to the list.

Hang on, I'm not claiming to know much about the Spanish flu and how it illuminates the rationale for the Nightingales.

But you are. Hence it would be nice to hear about it from you.
  • Options
    DensparkDenspark Posts: 68
    IHME was due to release their updated figures on the 15th. This was pushed back to the 16th. and then the afternoon of the 16th.

Still no sign of it and no word on when it will be published.

Suspect their model has finally collapsed and is spitting out absurd figures (or even more absurd figures than before) than even they can see are wacky.

Think the "World-leading disease data analysts" as the guardian described them have pretty much trashed their reputation.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    Swab testers going home early as they have no swabs to analyse

Who would have thought setting up mass testing centres that require NHS staff to travel up to 90 mins for a test would be under capacity. Need to get them more local.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/16/swab-tester-uk-germany-south-korea
  • Options

That will be interesting.

The Conservative Party wants more scrutiny of the government north of Hadrian's Wall; less south.
    Of course. Things are going terribly north of the border, but pretty much perfectly to the south.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I was worried about it being rejected from two papers, but that was before I saw that it was accepted by prestigious publication "lockdownsceptics.org"
    It is quite astonishing that anyone could still be claiming that the infection fatality rate could be as low as 0.13%, seeing that even taking only confirmed cases into account 0.09% of the population of New York City has already died. And we may be only halfway through the first wave.

So far from the "research" of these people being publicised online, I should think a very good case could be made for them to be confined in padded cells.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,007
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

The thing with masks is, yes they're beneficial, and yes, we'd wear them on public transport, but what about when we're in the office, at a conference, in a pub? That's where the real danger lies, and that's when you're likely to take your mask off along with your coat and gloves.

This is an interesting post. Due to being in "shielding" and been housebound post-op for a couple of months before that, my only trip out to the outside world since everything got Too Real was to get a blood test, and it really struck me how the receptionist sat far back from the front desk with a heavy-duty respirator on (think it was from his DIY woodworking kit rather than medical stock though). When I see TV presenters interviewing someone I do wonder at what point, if any, we're going to see them wearing masks too. That would bring things home...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yep, there is something vampiric about it.
    In the case of Sir Mick, the quality of muses must have gone down the pan a bit, he & Keef haven't produced a banger for going on 40 years (though they have a great heap of laurel strewn bangers to rest upon I will happily admit).

Last great Stones album for me was Some Girls (1978). Which I actually like more now than some of the more celebrated ones.
    Pretty much the same for me, though I spent a dope filled summer listening endlessly to Emotional Rescue. Didn't really stick with me afterwards though.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Well, one thing at least seems to be getting back to normal. Today I had a nuisance phone call. First one since the UK's lock-down started. The silence of the phones in that respect has been very welcome, only times the phone has rung it's been people I know.

Good afternoon, everybody. PB has been (is being) a wonderful resource during the days of isolation.

There was a recent report that spam and scams were up 4,000 per cent since the pandemic started. Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Guernsey Covid-19 briefing - success to date down to early lockdown, testing and control of borders. Control of borders will probably be the last thing to go.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

Who would have thought setting up mass testing centres that require NHS staff to travel up to 90 mins for a test would be under capacity. Need to get them more local.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/16/swab-tester-uk-germany-south-korea

They recently opened a drive through one at the Ikea at the Metro Centre here. Just for NHS and care staff though I believe. Anyone know if you need a referral to go?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

BBC Radio 4 News:

Today or in total ?
    In total I think.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

The only reason an election happens next year is if it turns out the government has made enormous errors of judgement regarding the covid-19 situation. That seems unlikely at present.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Don't know if it's been discussed already on PB but Bob Dylan's recently released 16 min magnum opus on the murder of JFK, is well worth a listen.

First original song he's released in years and a welcome change from the string of album releases which have been cover versions from the Great American Songbook.

If we have time to listen to a song like this it is surely now.

Pitch perfect timing and very resonant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbQkyvbw18

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Further 58 deaths in Scotland

Down from the past 2 days.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Even when Johnson is inevitably brought down by a scandal he can't lie his way out of and the tories change leader; that won't be enough to trigger a GE. It would have to be something that would cause 40+ tories to vote against the government in a VoC. Given that your average tory MP has the integrity of a jackal it's hard to imagine what that something would be.
    The last two Conservative Prime Ministers who have taken over mid-parliament have of their own accord held early elections: Theresa May and Boris himself. I'd not rule out the next one doing the same even though there is no need.

One other possible factor: the Scots voting for independence, if the Scottish Government holds its own referendum, or the SNP (not strictly the same thing) holds an unofficial one.
    The Tories won a majority on a manifesto of no indyref2 during this parliament, so the Scottish government can do what it likes, even if the SNP win a majority next year the UK government like the Spanish government in Catalonia will ignore it.

The 2014 referendum was once in a generation and No won
  • Options
    Chris said:

It is quite astonishing that anyone could still be claiming that the infection fatality rate could be as low as 0.13%, seeing that even taking only confirmed cases into account 0.09% of the population of New York City has already died. And we may be only halfway through the first wave.

So far from the "research" of these people being publicised online, I should think a very good case could be made for them to be confined in padded cells.

I don't find it astonishing. We're in a truly terrible place with no clear and quick way out. If the mortality rate is tiny it follows that we are close to mass immunity already - since millions will have had it and barely known they were sick. This is a devastatingly attractive notion. It's up there with the magic money tree and life after death. If anything I'm surprised how few believers it has garnered.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    HYUFD said:
    Thats how the Establishment rolls...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

I don't find it astonishing. We're in a truly terrible place with no clear and quick way out. If the mortality rate is tiny it follows that we are close to mass immunity already - since millions will have had it and barely known they were sick. This is a devastatingly attractive notion. It's up there with the magic money tree and life after death. If anything I'm surprised how few believers it has garnered.
    I thought all we needed to do with turn off the 5G masts?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    HYUFD said:
    Already listened to it. One of my favourite podcasts. Starkey excellent value as always.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Latest data - I've added Russia.

• Options

They recently opened a drive through one at the Ikea at the Metro Centre here. Just for NHS and care staff though I believe. Anyone know if you need a referral to go?
    You need a letter from your manager at our drive thru..

10% of our staff off with Covid19 quarantine at present, in a big Acute Trust.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:
    Thats how the Establishment rolls...
    Exeter not Oxford though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

The Tories won a majority on a manifesto of no indyref2 during this parliament, so the Scottish government can do what it likes, even if the SNP win a majority next year the UK government like the Spanish government in Catalonia will ignore it.

Plus
    https://twitter.com/GetBritainOut/status/1251125319601438723?s=19
  • Options

That's another one, isn't it. Same answer to all this stuff - "if only".
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I hope everyone has had their lunch before reading this little piece on the Smithfield Pork factory in South Dakota. No lockdown in that State at present.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1250961644043280384?s=19

Chlorine chicken sounds nicer than Coronavirus chops.
  • Options

Don't know if it's been discussed already on PB but Bob Dylan's recently released 16 min magnum opus on the murder of JFK, is well worth a listen.

First original song he's released in years and a welcome change from the string of album releases which have been cover versions from the Great American Songbook.

I love Dylan but was not expecting anything new from him as good as (I'm told) this is. Planning to do it with first drink later today. 6 ish.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150

RobD said:

He's very kindly decided to make clear that his site is basically just unscientific nonsense, so that's good.
  • Options
    Lobby briefing...

Downing Street also suggested summer holidays should not be booked yet as there is no certainty of when the lockdown will be lifted and travel can resume.

We ain't going anywhere folks until at least September.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

So despite being the 3rd biggest population in Europe, we are still only 4th on deaths and 5th on cases in Europe.

Seems the government is doing OK then
  • Options
    "Met Police criticised for allowing clapping crowds to flout lockdown rules on Westminster Bridge

The Met says its officers will be reminded of the importance of "social distancing" as videos show people close to one another."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-met-police-criticised-for-allowing-clapping-crowds-to-flout-lockdown-rules-on-westminster-bridge-11974644
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Met Police criticised for allowing clapping crowds to flout lockdown rules on Westminster Bridge

The Met says its officers will be reminded of the importance of "social distancing" as videos show people close to one another."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-met-police-criticised-for-allowing-clapping-crowds-to-flout-lockdown-rules-on-westminster-bridge-11974644

To be fair, watching footage of last night from up and down the country, quite a few people seem to get distracted / overexcited to be out the house and all seem to bunch up in the street.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

I think they need to be burned down by a pitchfork waving mob, but perhaps we are a bit more rustic where I live.

I kid you not. Onion poultices are all the rage for Covid19 in my village, yes really!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Lobby briefing...

Downing Street also suggested summer holidays should not be booked yet as there is no certainty of when the lockdown will be lifted and travel can resume.

I'd be surprised to see much foreign travel in Europe before September.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,816

The Finish Government ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,032
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Why is whatever Spain did the standard?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

I think they need to be burned down by a pitchfork waving mob, but perhaps we are a bit more rustic where I live.

I kid you not. Onion poultices are all the rage for Covid19 in my village, yes really!
    Is that as a mask, or BROTH substitute ?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

So despite being the 3rd biggest population in Europe, we are still only 4th on deaths and 5th on cases in Europe.

Seems the government is doing OK then
    You are being very naughty with your spurious use of statistics again.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    WTI Crude is now trading below $18!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The Finish Government ?
    "any epidemiologists"? He's not counting the two or four that rejected his paper?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Why is whatever Spain did the standard?
    Even if only Canada is, Quebec only had a second independence referendum 15 years after the first
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Surely the message of the last few years is how newspapers have survived despite reductions in circulation.

And is there any shortage of sources of news - surely all kinds of new online sources have sprung up over the last few years.

This is also relevant to the debate about BBC taking adverts. It's often claimed "if BBC take adverts then commercial TV stations will close".

But look how much advertising the internet has taken in recent years - that hasn't led to commercial TV stations closing down.

In fact we have more TV channels than ever before - just as we have more sources of news than ever before.

So the last thing we need is subsidies to give certain people an unfair advantage.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    Nigelb said:

The Finish Government ?
    This is his CV

https://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/scmp/documents/cv_paunio_en.pdf
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Wales have announced 6 points for getting out of the lockdown....gotta have that 1 extra.

Are Northern Ireland going to raise them, make it 7, maybe Scotland will go for a 10 point plan.
  • Options

Lobby briefing...

Nothing to do with Coronavirus though right? that advice is being given on the basis the economy will be so shattered by a September nobody will be able to afford those holidays.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Wales have announced 6 points for getting out of the lockdown....gotta have that 1 extra.

We will have to listen to/read all six in Welsh first too!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

As a chest poultice, held in place by a bra.

I really wish I were joking, but I am not. They will be burning witches again round here shortly!
  • Options

Are Northern Ireland going to raise them, make it 7, maybe Scotland will go for a 10 point plan.

We will have just 3.

Cummings.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

I really wish I were joking, but I am not. They will be burning witches again round here shortly!
    I'm struggling to think of the appropriate control arm for the RCT...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Finally cracked the 20k tests in day....only 2 more weeks to get another 80k.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1251134956555907072?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The Finish Government ?
    Correct speeling is for Libtards!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

With added garlic. For the vampires. You can never be too careful....
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Andy_JS said:

rkrkrk said:

The only reason an election happens next year is if it turns out the government has made enormous errors of judgement regarding the covid-19 situation. That seems unlikely at present.
    EU relationship seems more plausible. If the govt has cocked up significantly and cant get away with it, then just up to the Tory party to install a new PM and cabinet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Nigelb said:

The Finish Government ?
    For the End Times.....
  • Options
    Although deaths not increasing, we are still seeing a large % of positive tests. I think we should brace ourselves for a very long tail of daily deaths.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    edited April 2020
    OT: If any F1 fans here are missing the season, Formula 1 have put some full races on their Youtube channel. Currently watching one with Murray Walker commentating, it's bliss :)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

My mother used to give me a goose fat poultice held in place by a liberty bodice for the winter to ward off TB. It did the trick.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

Not sure I would go with the onion poultice. PB's house Epidemiologist has previously declared broth to be the answer so I'll stick with that.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    HYUFD said:
    David Starkey used to make interesting history documentaries; I have at least six of his DVDs on the shelf. But now he seems to have become the thinking viewers' Katie Hopkins, a professional controversialist.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

My mother used to give me a goose fat poultice held in place by a liberty bodice for the winter to ward off TB. It did the trick.
    Have you seen the F1 drivers racing each other online? The Indy car drivers are doing it too.
  • Options

Positive test results still signifying nothing more or less than about 40% of the number of people being tested.
  • Options
    Just seen the by day of death breakdown, no sign of slow down in those figures either.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369
    kinabalu said:

We will have just 3.

Cummings.
    None of them ever get that no.of points in Europe
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

Positive test results still signifying nothing more or less than about 40% of the number of people being tested.
    Yeap, it still looks very grim. I can't see the lockdown down being lifted in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited April 2020

Although deaths not increasing, we are still seeing a large % of positive tests. I think we should brace ourselves for a very long tail of daily deaths.

That's the thing - the message from Italy and Spain, and now looking the same for the UK - we may have reached the peak but numbers of deaths are only declining very slowly.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I love Dylan but was not expecting anything new from him as good as (I'm told) this is. Planning to do it with first drink later today. 6 ish.
    Starts off banal, but persist, as it steadily improves.
    Strangely soothing, and I imagine it would work very well indeed accompanied by a large malt, or G&T.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

Have you seen the F1 drivers racing each other online? The Indy car drivers are doing it too.
    Did you mean to quote me? If so, I've seen the F1 with a few others one. Great fun. Poor Ben Stokes (although he seems to be about as good as Johnny Herbert is!)
  • Options

Is this some new Rugby Union law being discussed ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Starts off banal, but persist, as it steadily improves.
    Strangely soothing, and I imagine it would work very well indeed accompanied by a large malt, or G&T.

Right. It will have to be the malt then. Gin revs me up and we don't want that right now.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

He claims to be an academic epidemiologist, though. And he thinks that the infection fatality rate can be only slightly bigger than the percentage of the whole population of NYC who have already been killed by the virus, at this early stage ...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

Blimey.
    Still, cremation would prevent further transmission.
This discussion has been closed.