Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A dangerous vacuum or duality: A wing and a prayer isn’t good

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

This appears to be an “aint the police great?” presser....

Badly mistimed crap when we have more pressing matters of concern
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Starmer surge.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1248980448988012548

Can't access all the small print on their site.

Starmer has a net positive rating of +50 to Corbyn's -54 in the poll though (albeit only +21% including Don't Knows) but his only gains so far seem to be from the LDs in terms of voting intention.

Starmer most popular with younger voters, voters in London and the West Midlands and middle class ABC1 voters and graduates.

Starmer least popular though with working class C2DE voters and those without qualifications
    There are open goals for Starmer to score in:

Why has the government been so lax about people entering the UK ?

Why has the government allowed a situation where so much of the UK's pharmaceutical and medical supplies are imported ?

But Starmer is also a cheerleader for the globalist agenda so wont even notice those goals are open.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    edited April 2020

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Priti Patel leading today's press conference at Downing Street as Home Secretary

Yes. She's very nervous but thus far is holding up OK.
    Cant read out a simple number from an autocue.
    Will she Di of embarrassment?
  • Options

WTF is this bollocks.

A policeman has brought a pint of milk to an elderly resident.

Whoopee6 dooo

Can we talk about the matter at hand by any chance.

If they bring Easter eggs, do they have to arrest themselves?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Starmer surge.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1248980448988012548

Can't access all the small print on their site.

Starmer has a net positive rating of +50 to Corbyn's -54 in the poll though (albeit only +21% including Don't Knows) but his only gains so far seem to be from the LDs in terms of voting intention.
    And defections amongst party members...
    who is defecting?

Lib Dem to Lab or Lab to SWP?

I haven't seen anything to suggest its large numbers in ether way, but I'm not following closely.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited April 2020
    I would say that anyone who can't pass a simply numeracy and literacy test should not be in a senior job. Period.

I mean at what age would you be expected to be able to read out a six figure number in words?

Age 10?

She can't do it - she shouldn't be in a senior job, let alone be the Home Secretary.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,232

This appears to be an “aint the police great?” presser....

Is she live from Downin' Street?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    dr_spyn said:

Good article, though with a fast-moving pandemic the risk is that a series of deputies go down in turn. For that matter, we need some contingency planning in case the next pandemic is worse and a whole bunch of Cabinet Ministers fall ill at the same time as the PM.

On a lighter note, thanks for the entertaining responses to my wine-and-omelette exploration. Tomorrow, I'm considering cooking pasta, also for the first time. I've got some "artisan Tortaglione" from Sainsbury (spirally things) which I bought when bargaining for 2-week isolation (all the cheap pasta had been panic-bought, but anyway I thought that pasta virginity should be broken with some good stuff), and some tomato sauce. Just boil them, right? There are rather a lot of them, I wonder if they'll keep if I eat half? (Where is Cyclefree?)

The wine, by the way, is Politically Correct. Given to me by a leftie friend, it's 19 Crimes red wine from Australia, based on a riot in 1904 against a rum tax. The rebels were punished with a variety of trumped-up charges, and with each bottle you can find one of the crimes inscribed on the cork. I have "Assault with attempt to rob". It's very good. (The wine, not the assault.)

Breaking and entering should be inscribed on the label at the top of the bottle.
    Haven't tried it though I've seen it on the shelves, seemed very over marketed. This review suggests it wouldn't be my thing in any case:

https://tinyurl.com/qu2vvkz

'I bought a bottle of the red blend and, after I stared at the sad man for a while, I tasted it. Sweet and tannic, that was my reaction, and better chilled sangria-style than straight up. Not to my taste, but I am not the target audience.'

Otoh, Nick P. seems to be flirting with the wild side, only a step away from multi identity thriller writer excess.

'Well, the answer is that 19 Crimes seems to have been rather precisely engineered to appeal to an important demographic — millennial men, especially those who see themselves as a bit of a rogue. Outlaws, if you know what I mean, who identify with others who defy convention. Outlaw wine for self-styled renegades? Now you are beginning to see the 19 Crimes logic.'
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759
  • Options
    Do we know how many tests were done in last 24 hours?

Cumulative number is now 334,974.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Priti is standing on a box....(or a raised step)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited April 2020
    MikeL said:

I would say that anyone who can't pass a simply numeracy and literacy test should not be in a senior job. Period.

I mean at what age would you be expected to be able to read out a six figure number in words?

Age 10?

She can't do it - she shouldn't be in a senior job, let alone be the Home Secretary.

Re 6-digit-gate, I'd give the Home Secretary the benefit of the doubt as it may have been badly formatted, just as phone numbers are often pasted into documents with no proper spacing. Certainly that part of her script was badly written and again stumbled on imprecision about what days the figures related to.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    MikeL said:

18k tests. 13k people.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    MaxPB said:

I've come to the conclusion that all of the lobby journalists need to be taken out the back and shot. They've allowed the government to get away with a middling to poor response to the virus. The level of scrutiny has been absolutely shocking, the obsession with the Westminster stories on who has the launch codes is a complete waste of everyone's time and we're still behind on testing and PPE provision.

I'm not saying either of this issues is easy to solve, they aren't. However, the lack of any kind of hard questioning has basically let the government off the hook on both while there are doctors and nurses putting themselves at risk all day every day. The lack of testing available for NHS staff means there are frontline staff working themselves to death right now and no one is taking responsibility for that. It's just not good enough.

It's almost as though ministers think that we won't notice if they are able to keep quiet enough about it, but I have friends and family on the front line. Loads of people do, the stories are absolutely shocking at the moment. Any other profession would have gone on strike by now over the working conditions being imposed by the government.

Overall my rating of the government response had gone from a B- to a D, no longer a passing grade. The willful endangerment of our frontline NHS staff is, IMO, beyond the pale and both Hancock needs to pay the price. Boris has serious questions to answer as well, so do all of the members of SAGE who advised the government to allow sporting and other major gatherings to take place (Cheltenham, football matches etc...) knowing that it could cause a huge spike in cases well before we would have the testing capacity and PPE provision available to give us a way out of this mess.

I have no doubt that any other party/government would have taken exactly the same path, this isn't a party question, the government is just unlucky in that they had to deal with this mess, but bad luck isn't an excuse for bad decisions.

The likes of Whitty, Vallance and all the other Sir Humphreys have been exposed as not up to it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Good article, though with a fast-moving pandemic the risk is that a series of deputies go down in turn. For that matter, we need some contingency planning in case the next pandemic is worse and a whole bunch of Cabinet Ministers fall ill at the same time as the PM.

On a lighter note, thanks for the entertaining responses to my wine-and-omelette exploration. Tomorrow, I'm considering cooking pasta, also for the first time. I've got some "artisan Tortaglione" from Sainsbury (spirally things) which I bought when bargaining for 2-week isolation (all the cheap pasta had been panic-bought, but anyway I thought that pasta virginity should be broken with some good stuff), and some tomato sauce. Just boil them, right? There are rather a lot of them, I wonder if they'll keep if I eat half? (Where is Cyclefree?)

The wine, by the way, is Politically Correct. Given to me by a leftie friend, it's 19 Crimes red wine from Australia, based on a riot in 1904 against a rum tax. The rebels were punished with a variety of trumped-up charges, and with each bottle you can find one of the crimes inscribed on the cork. I have "Assault with attempt to rob". It's very good. (The wine, not the assault.)

Breaking and entering should be inscribed on the label at the top of the bottle.
    Why? Have you lost your corkscrew?
    That reminded me of a Monty Python sketch about Australian wines.

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/austwine.php

Haven't heard it for years, but it was the first thing I thought about after reading your reply.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:
    I don't understand his point at all. There's going to be a hand with a heart embossed on it.
  • Options
    Do we have any indication of how many people are still going to work i.e. essentially workers? when you add in NHS shop workers, transport, food prosesing and so on it must be significant but I cant find an estamat out there

brodly speeking the 32.6 milion people who had jobs at the start of last month coud be catagrised as:

1) Still working at there place of work (e.g NHS)
    2) Still working but at home (including normal WFH)
    3) Still employed but not working
    4) Now unemployed

IIRC unemployment is up by close to 1 million but what of the other catagrys, anybody know or want to guess?
  • Options
    Not that I like her, but Priti seems to be getting into her stride....
  • Options
    Priti asked to apologise for lack of PPE.

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Sorry if people think there have been failings.

Sounds like Corbyn over AntiSemitism
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Refuses 3 times to apologise for actual failings.

Car Crash
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Presumably they didn't include supermarkets as an option because it would've swamped the rest?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't understand his point at all. There's going to be a hand with a heart embossed on it.
    With a red hot iron.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Why are they asking her to apologise? And I don't see how the two are related. Corbyn was responsible for discipline in the Labour party. Is Patel as home secretary responsible for PPE?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Age 10?

Re 6-digit-gate, I'd give the Home Secretary the benefit of the doubt as it may have been badly formatted, just as phone numbers are often pasted into documents with no proper spacing. Certainly that part of her script was badly written and again stumbled on imprecision about what days the figures related to.
    Surely:

1) She would have seen the script in advance

2) It would have been written as a number in the script (ie assuming the ability to convert to words).

Sorry, I don't believe any person with basic competence would get it wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

18k tests. 13k people.
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    The difference with Corbyn is the government is trying to address the issue, not deny it.

How many times years was Corbyn asked about anti-semitism?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    BigRich said:

Do we have any indication of how many people are still going to work i.e. essentially workers? when you add in NHS shop workers, transport, food prosesing and so on it must be significant but I cant find an estamat out there

brodly speeking the 32.6 milion people who had jobs at the start of last month coud be catagrised as:

4) Now unemployed

IIRC unemployment is up by close to 1 million but what of the other catagrys, anybody know or want to guess?

No - the people who are still going to work are those who can't work from home. There's no general prohibition on non-essential work continuing.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Does Pritti know?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266

MikeL said:

Does Pritti know?
    Easy one. Diane will know. 5.6 billion.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Pritti doing OK on police questions compared to the one requiring actual empathy with frontline plight in NHS and inability to apologise properly
    Wouldathunk
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    BigRich said:

ukpaul said:

For those using the Covid-19 symptom tracker app - results:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

What study is that based on? It suggests that it is more prevalent in the North and whole swathes of the south have much less. Looking at hospital admissions that doesn't look particularly the case (although, the north west, north east and Yorkshire do appear to have shot up over the last few days as per the government figures). Just taking one example, Hartlepool is way down on patient numbers but is shown as being at 4.26% on that map.
    The study is an App that can be downloaded, then you fill in some information Age, sex post coed and so on, then each day you take one minit to say is you are fully well or what systems you have, tempricher cough snesses, and so on. Presumably there is then a big algorithm, which uses the data to make full protections of the UK population.

it has 2.2 million people using it, but it is self selection, perhaps the large numbers can mitigate the self selection problem?

I am using it, but am rater frustrated and disported in the analysis and recommendations.

'The number of people wiht systems is down, there for Lock-down must be working therefor we musk keep going' is poor analysis and recommendation, one data point and correlation is not causation.
    I'm also using it, no idea if they're counting my mild hay fever symptoms as evidence of Covid or not.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    BigRich said:

ukpaul said:

For those using the Covid-19 symptom tracker app - results:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

What study is that based on? It suggests that it is more prevalent in the North and whole swathes of the south have much less. Looking at hospital admissions that doesn't look particularly the case (although, the north west, north east and Yorkshire do appear to have shot up over the last few days as per the government figures). Just taking one example, Hartlepool is way down on patient numbers but is shown as being at 4.26% on that map.
    The study is an App that can be downloaded, then you fill in some information Age, sex post coed and so on, then each day you take one minit to say is you are fully well or what systems you have, tempricher cough snesses, and so on. Presumably there is then a big algorithm, which uses the data to make full protections of the UK population.

it has 2.2 million people using it, but it is self selection, perhaps the large numbers can mitigate the self selection problem?

I am using it, but am rater frustrated and disported in the analysis and recommendations.

'The number of people wiht systems is down, there for Lock-down must be working therefor we musk keep going' is poor analysis and recommendation, one data point and correlation is not causation.
    I have been logging in most days to say that I am fine, but the stats suggest that people mostly use it when they feel ill
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    By "exponential" does she mean "very big"?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    Growing quickly, which undoubtedly they have been!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Age 10?

Surely:

2) It would have been written as a number in the script (ie assuming the ability to convert to words).

I'm saying 451487 is harder to read than either 451,487 or 451 487. It is too common for people to blindly paste multi-digit numbers, including phone numbers, without proper formatting.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    Chris said:

BigRich said:

4) Now unemployed

No - the people who are still going to work are those who can't work from home. There's no general prohibition on non-essential work continuing.
    Depends on risk group. People in the middle group are advised not to go to work.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Does Pritti know?
    Easy one. Diane will know. 5.6 billion.
    At least 5.6 billion is an actual number unlike what Pritti said.

Abbott was shit she has gone unlike Pritti who is shit but still stood at a lecturn unable to read an integer
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Lombardy numbers are worse than yesterday. So expect Italy to produce worse numbers today

1,544 new cases in Lombardy (1,246 yesterday)
    273 deaths compared to 216

They have started to test nursery homes this week.
  • Options

Chris said:

BigRich said:

4) Now unemployed

Depends on risk group. People in the middle group are advised not to go to work.
    That's why I used the word "general". Obviously some particular businesses aren't operating and some particular workers are isolating.
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Age 10?

Surely:

I'm saying 451487 is harder to read than either 451,487 or 451 487. It is too common for people to blindly paste multi-digit numbers, including phone numbers, without proper formatting.
    Na, the only plausible explanation is she's innumerate.
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Age 10?

Surely:

OK, fair point.

But my point is she surely must have seen the script in advance and if it wasn't written clearly there would surely have been time to get it written clearly - given she should have known the importance of getting it right.
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    The difference with Corbyn is the government is trying to address the issue, not deny it.

Not a good look when you cant apologise for lack of PPE
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    Growing quickly, which undoubtedly they have been!
    But that's not what exponential means, and I very much doubt it's what she meant.

• Options

WTF is this bollocks.

Whoopee6 dooo

That is so uncaring.

A pint of milk to an elderly resident would be very welcomed
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Age 10?

Surely:

OK, fair point.

But my point is she surely must have seen the script in advance and if it wasn't written clearly there would surely have been time to get it written clearly - given she should have known the importance of getting it right.
    Can't speak for her, but I think I'd be focused more on the text rather than trying to work out of I would struggle reading a number.
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    I have not heard the press conference but you sound deranged
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Haven't tried it though I've seen it on the shelves, seemed very over marketed. This review suggests it wouldn't be my thing in any case:

'I bought a bottle of the red blend and, after I stared at the sad man for a while, I tasted it. Sweet and tannic, that was my reaction, and better chilled sangria-style than straight up. Not to my taste, but I am not the target audience.'

Otoh, Nick P. seems to be flirting with the wild side, only a step away from multi identity thriller writer excess.

'Well, the answer is that 19 Crimes seems to have been rather precisely engineered to appeal to an important demographic — millennial men, especially those who see themselves as a bit of a rogue. Outlaws, if you know what I mean, who identify with others who defy convention. Outlaw wine for self-styled renegades? Now you are beginning to see the 19 Crimes logic.'

Indeed. You realise SeanT and I are actually the same person? I enjoyed posting as him for a long while, but in the end I got worried that the real thriller-writer might sue - that's why you no longer see posts from him.

As for the wine, my normal drink is Coca-Cola, so I'm not the ideal man to advise. But I tend to find red wine either bitter or tasteless, and this wasn't either.

• Options
    Pritti has been working night and day apparently.

Only thing she has achieved unfortunately though is remove the requirement to self isolate when you fly into the country. Why?
  • Options
    Chris said:

BigRich said:

4) Now unemployed

OK maybe I should not have used I.e. word essential, I was thinking of things like cloths shops that have been closed.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    PRONOUNCE THE FUCKING "G"s AT THE END OF YOUR WORDS PATEL YOU ******* ****
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

WTF is this bollocks.

Whoopee6 dooo

That is so uncaring.

A pint of milk to an elderly resident would be very welcomed
    It is not about being caring.

It is about the WTF of that anecdote being the number one cited instance in a national press conference given by our senior politicians and officials.
  • Options
    Priti Patel is thick as whale omelette.

Remember she was in favour of the death penalty because we don't wrongly convict innocent people.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

She's from Essex, be glad you can understand most of what she's saying.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Age 10?

Surely:

OK, fair point.

I'd be more worried the Home Secretary and various advisers did not spot the ambiguity between yesterday's figures and yesterday's deaths.
  • Options
    While many laud the testing response of small city states, like Singapore and Hong Kong, in the British isles we have a couple of examples. For example, Guernsey.

If the UK had done as Guernsey has done (of course, off small base sizes) :

Tests: 1.7 million
    Positive: 220,000
    Deaths
    Confirmed: 6,300
    Assumed: 3,000

So while widespread testing may help, its not a panacea. Other things like lockdowns and quarantining of arrivals may be at least as, if not more useful.

https://covid19.gov.gg/test-results

• Options

TOPPING said:

It is the worst of the worst type of affectations. Does she somehow think it makes her sound of the people? Like Tony and his adaptive accent depending on company.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Indeed. You realise SeanT and I are actually the same person? I enjoyed posting as him for a long while, but in the end I got worried that the real thriller-writer might sue - that's why you no longer see posts from him.

As for the wine, my normal drink is Coca-Cola, so I'm not the ideal man to advise. But I tend to find red wine either bitter or tasteless, and this wasn't either.

We Are All SeanT
  • Options
    Italy overall

Active cases: 100.269 (+1.996) including 3381 in ICU (-116)
    Deaths: 619
    Healed/discharged: +2.079

New cases: 4694
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Why?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345

Not that I like her, but Priti seems to be getting into her stride....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy46iOwWQiE
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    Big G I'm very disappointed that now, as the level of depression and mental illness increases, you should be so callous as to accuse a fellow poster of having a mental illness.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is the worst of the worst type of affectations. Does she somehow think it makes her sound of the people? Like Tony and his adaptive accent depending on company.

It's up there with upper middle class people trying to fob themselves as working class.

Absolute tossers.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Remember she was in favour of the death penalty because we don't wrongly convict innocent people.

Should I surmise that from a better than expected start the briefin' has gone somewhat downhill?
  • Options

Lombardy numbers are worse than yesterday. So expect Italy to produce worse numbers today

So is this "more deaths" or "bigger sample", if its possible to tell?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    Has anyone got any actual figures for previous levels of usage for PPE versus current and projected?

Trying to quantify the reality.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Why?
    BECAUSE IT IS FUCKIN IRRITATIN
  • Options

We Are All SeanT
    Gtf outta here.

I'm Byronic.
  • Options

Should I surmise that from a better than expected start the briefin' has gone somewhat downhill?
    I think the day it was confirmed 19 NHS staff have died from Covid-19 saying ‘I’m sorry if people believe there have been failings’ might be a bit of a faux pas.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

It's like a bad David Brent comment.

Theres good news and bad news on the Coronavirus front from the BBC.

The bad news is more than 900 new deaths despite the BH lag the good news "Boris is playing Sudoku".

I fear you allow your political bias too much to cloud your views. There are fewer deaths than yesterday. Better than the other way around. The UK is probably moving through the peak period right now. The time it is most critical that people focus on ensuring the lockdown sacrifices are made worthwhile by sticking with it.
    Todays numbers are terrible.

It's for a BH day look back at weekend drops would have expected same effect on a BH.

Weekend numbers for last couple of weeks have shown a circa 20% lag.

You are right that we should be at or close to peak on new numbers infected. I fear we are not there yet on deaths peak. I think we will top 1000 new deaths next Wednesday.i really hope I am wrong.

It's not about ones politics it's about ending up with most deaths iof any country in Europe, an honour I fear the UK may hold by this time next month.
    There is your nonsense again - countries vary in size, population, density, types of lockdownetc., etc., Depsite your efforts to hide it we all know your politics and it's clear your desperate for the UK somehow to be worst. Shame on you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Why?
    Her pronouncing words with a silent ‘g’ (or ‘correctly’ as it’s also known) is irritating?
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash

If she had you'd have been cheering Patel for landing Hancock in the sh*t.

Whatever they do, in your books, they cannot win.
  • Options
    Is @Chazza on? PM now needs to rest at Chequers which presumably means not going back to work. At what point are we going have a functioning PM? Are we waiting for him to stand himself down? The six month clock is ticking.
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    Good one to miss unless you need an update on how many pints of milk police have delivered to elderly residents.

Pritti should have read that one out she can only cope with single digits.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,710
    Is it possible we've already reached the peak?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Why?
    Her pronouncing words with a silent ‘g’ (or ‘correctly’ as it’s also known) is irritating?
    She is not pronouncin words correctly and yes it is irritatin.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is @Chazza on? PM now needs to rest at Chequers which presumably means not going back to work. At what point are we going have a functioning PM?

I could make an acid comment at this point about him not being a functioning PM even when fully fit.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

We'll only know in 2-3 weeks time.
  • Options

While many laud the testing response of small city states, like Singapore and Hong Kong, in the British isles we have a couple of examples. For example, Guernsey.

If the UK had done as Guernsey has done (of course, off small base sizes) :

Tests: 1.7 million
    Positive: 220,000
    Deaths
    Confirmed: 6,300
    Assumed: 3,000

So while widespread testing may help, its not a panacea. Other things like lockdowns and quarantining of arrivals may be at least as, if not more useful.

https://covid19.gov.gg/test-results

Guernesey is not curses with PHE and there terrible response to this. for contexts of their system its written before the COVID thing But read:

https://iea.org.uk/healthcare-lessons-from-guernsey/
  • Options
    edited April 2020

So is this "more deaths" or "bigger sample", if its possible to tell?
    Deaths shouldn't be related to sample.
    New cases are though. Tests in Lombardy were 9977 compared to 9372 in the previous report.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Why?
    But you said you wanted her to pronounce the ‘g’ at the end of words.

Which would be wrong.

So why are you getting worked up?
  • Options

She supported hangin' and floggin' ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

TOPPING said:

Priti was actually born in London and grew up in Hertfordshire, she is just MP for an Essex constituency
  • Options
    I wish someone would ask Priti the "Covid foreign arrivals at Heathrow" question to see her struggle to hold the line...if it had been up to her I suspect the Channel would have been mined, the tunnel sealed and the anti-aircraft guns deployed along the M4 weeks ago.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Is @Chazza on? PM now needs to rest at Chequers which presumably means not going back to work. At what point are we going have a functioning PM?

I could make an acid comment at this point about him not being a functioning PM even when fully fit.
    There is that. But at least he could delegate if not be fully functionin. Charles said it would be a resignin matter if he was going to be incapacitated for six months but how will we know when that six months starts.
  • Options

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    She really wasn't very good, but then neither were the two stooges either side of her.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

Most Tory members do
  • Options

Infamously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aodBfdFTA&t=175s
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash

If she had you'd have been cheering Patel for landing Hancock in the sh*t.

Whatever they do, in your books, they cannot win.
    From this starting point probably not. We are pretty much going to be 2nd worst or worst in terms of outcomes of any European country so spin that as a triumph if you wish.

As for Hancock he should go after his accusation yesterday that those on the front line are wasting precious PPE

No matter how bad our numbers are you will never point out Government failings I presume?
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    edited April 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It's up there with upper middle class people trying to fob themselves as working class.

Absolute tossers.
    That's just how people speak in Watford. A bit like how Yorkshire folk say things like "Fursday".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Car Crash
    Big G I'm very disappointed that now, as the level of depression and mental illness increases, you should be so callous as to accuse a fellow poster of having a mental illness.
    That is not my intention and I apologise
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Priti was actually born in London and grew up in Hertfordshire, she is just MP for an Essex constituency
    She went to university in Essex for her postgrad work.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm also sure she has been on top of the ongoin nationwide effort against counter-terrorism.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Why?
    But you said you wanted her to pronounce the ‘g’ at the end of words.

Which would be wrong.

You seem to be wron about this, what English word has a silent final g? Egg?
  • Options

We Are All SeanT
    Gtf outta here.

I'm Byronic.
    We Are All Aspects Of SeanT
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Most Tory members do
    It have just remembered why I am not a member of the Tory Party.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Why?
    Especially for someone called "TOPPIN".....

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    Andy_JS said:

Peak of guesses at the likely death toll ? naaah..
This discussion has been closed.