Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A dangerous vacuum or duality: A wing and a prayer isn’t good

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Chris said:

Chris said:

BigRich said:

Why is it that of all the figures the most difficult to find is hospital admissions and an idea of how NHS capacity is coping?

We are doing this to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed right? so why is it so difficult to discover how that is going?

you would also think that publishing a up to date number for people who have recovered would be very easy, every other nation manages it but not us.
    Its almost as if they don;t want us to know the NHS has buckets of capacity and this absurd lockdown extension can be junked soon.
    How many thousands of deaths a day would it take to make you happy?
    How many million livelihoods are you prepared to sacrifice?
    How many trillions in debt do you want to give our grandchildren?
    How many deaths do you think the depression that is coming will cause while you obsess about this?

We all have moral questions to answer, you see
    Grow up.
    I can;t help it if you don;'t understand the basics of what our country runs on.
    I can't help it if you're a moron.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:
    For god's sake, this is not about deaths alone. People like this are chomping at the bit to put people in their fifties and sixties (and, yes, forties and so on) into hospital. They're either stupid or vindictive. I actually think they are more the latter, it's ideologically driven harm that they are itching to create.

Oh, look. Yep. the guy is what you'd expect.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/ex-new-york-times-alex-berenson-coronavirus-skeptic

So let's turn this around. I hope he gets it and suffers in a serious way. It's the only way that the reality that this is about the lives that people lead is what matters and not having people slavering all over you on social media.
    Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph reported yesterday that the latest government modelling expects around 150,000 deaths caused by the lockdown itself.
    Yebbut those are not Coronavirus deaths, they don;t prrovide stories for our absurd newpapers and provide events for Piers Morgan to rail at.

In short, those are second class deaths. Consigned to that class by posters like Chris.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

BigRich said:

Why is it that of all the figures the most difficult to find is hospital admissions and an idea of how NHS capacity is coping?

We are doing this to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed right? so why is it so difficult to discover how that is going?

you would also think that publishing a up to date number for people who have recovered would be very easy, every other nation manages it but not us.
    Its almost as if they don;t want us to know the NHS has buckets of capacity and this absurd lockdown extension can be junked soon.
    How many deaths do you think the depression that is coming will cause while you obsess about this?

Grow up.
    I can;t help it if you don;'t understand the basics of what our country runs on.
    I can't help it if you're a moron.
    Spilttle flecked insults, insults dear fellow. You have clearly lost an argument.
  • Options
    isam said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:
    For god's sake, this is not about deaths alone. People like this are chomping at the bit to put people in their fifties and sixties (and, yes, forties and so on) into hospital. They're either stupid or vindictive. I actually think they are more the latter, it's ideologically driven harm that they are itching to create.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/ex-new-york-times-alex-berenson-coronavirus-skeptic

So let's turn this around. I hope he gets it and suffers in a serious way. It's the only way that the reality that this is about the lives that people lead is what matters and not having people slavering all over you on social media.
    Heaven forbid there be sceptics
    The word "sceptic" is usually reserved for those who are able to present a rational argument to support their case. In the instance, though, the word "idiot" or "arsehole" is probably more appropriate.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    edited April 2020

Chris said:

BigRich said:

"Question B: Abandoning severe lockdowns at a time when the likelihood of a resurgence in infections remains high will lead to greater total economic damage than sustaining the lockdowns to eliminate the resurgence risk."

57% strongly agree, 32% agree, 11% Uncertain, 0% disagree, 0% strongly disagree.

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/policy-for-the-covid-19-crisis/

• Options
    Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph reported yesterday that the latest government modelling expects around 150,000 deaths caused by the lockdown itself.
    Because 1 in every 400 people is going to commit suicide because of the lockdown, or be battered to death by a family member because of the lockdown.

And absurd though that it, STILL it would be only a fraction of the number that would die if the lunatics had their way and allowed the virus to rip through the whole population, collapsing the NHS in the first few weeks of the process.
    We have no numbers on how NHS capacity is doing, so what you say is pure speculation.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    BigRich said:

isam said:
    Thanks for positing,

I wish that more focus was on these numbers, delayed as they are.
    For those who are interested, the figures are hidden* here -

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

*as in publicly made available for free download, with a URL that ensures that google will make them finable. That kind of hidden.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Chris said:

BigRich said:

"Question B: Abandoning severe lockdowns at a time when the likelihood of a resurgence in infections remains high will lead to greater total economic damage than sustaining the lockdowns to eliminate the resurgence risk."

57% strongly agree, 32% agree, 11% Uncertain, 0% disagree, 0% strongly disagree.

Says who? actually just about everybody. fair enough
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

Because 1 in every 400 people is going to commit suicide because of the lockdown, or be battered to death by a family member because of the lockdown.
    Yeah, but they were going to commit suicide or be battered to death anyway, we're just moving their deaths forwards.

(sarcasm by the way, just in case.....)

This whole 'avoidable deaths' thing is the purest sophistry. What it needs is a focus now on mental health and moving those in danger of domestic violence to new accommodation (there's enough left empty at the moment), not saying 'well. we just have to let other people die instead'.

It is not an either/or.

Now media, do your job on that one next time it's mentioned.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Chris said:

BigRich said:

Says who?
    "About the IGM Economic Experts Panel
    This panel explores the extent to which economists agree or disagree on major public policy issues. To assess such beliefs we assembled this panel of expert economists. Statistics teaches that a sample of (say) 40 opinions will be adequate to reflect a broader population if the sample is representative of that population.

To that end, our panel was chosen to include distinguished experts with a keen interest in public policy from the major areas of economics, to be geographically diverse, and to include Democrats, Republicans and Independents as well as older and younger scholars. The panel members are all senior faculty at the most elite research universities in the United States. The panel includes Nobel Laureates, John Bates Clark Medalists, fellows of the Econometric society, past Presidents of both the American Economics Association and American Finance Association, past Democratic and Republican members of the President's Council of Economics, and past and current editors of the leading journals in the profession. This selection process has the advantage of not only providing a set of panelists whose names will be familiar to other economists and the media, but also delivers a group with impeccable qualifications to speak on public policy matters.

Finally, it is important to explain one aspect of our voting process. In some instances a panelist may neither agree nor disagree with a statement, and there can be two very different reasons for this. One case occurs when an economist is an expert on a topic and yet sees the evidence on the exact claim at hand as ambiguous. In such cases our panelists vote "uncertain". A second case relates to statements on topics so far removed from the economist's expertise that he or she feels unqualified to vote. In this case, our panelists vote "no opinion".

The Economic Experts Panel questions are emailed individually to the members of the panel, and each responds electronically at his or her convenience. Panelists may consult whatever resources they like before answering."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

Latest government modelling? It was described as a "tentative estimate" in the Daily Mail.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

Latest government modelling? It was described as a "tentative estimate" in the Daily Mail.
    And specifically rejected by Hancock yesterday at the briefing.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited April 2020
    Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:
    And because we have shut the world, we haven't (and hopefully won't) see far more people in their thirties and forties die.
    Because we'd run out of centenarians quite quickly, and we'd still be seeing huge numbers of people dying, so the younger echelons would arithmetically have had to catch up (because there's so many more of them).

Jeez - how many people are going to continue to say "because we succeeded, we've somehow proved that we didn't have to do anything in the first place"?
    Worse is the implication here that the measure we take should depend on who is dying.

If someone said we shouldn't shut down because mostly those it kills are poor/brown/jewish/muslim/transexual/disabled etc there would be wide spread condemnation of that sentiment.

However it seems the fact most it kills are over 50 and it seems in some posters minds they are acceptable damage.
    The problem with that analogy, comparing old people with illnesses and poor/brown/jewish/muslim/transexual/disabled, is that we dont let people die because of the things you must, but we sometimes do if people are old and ill

Anyway, I don’t think people who say the lockdown is over the top are saying it’s ok for old people to die, they’re saying they should be isolated from younger people whose lives should not be as restricted
    A lot of those you so blithely throw on the scrapheap with your comment have still got two or three decades of quality life in them as their underlying conditions are manageable.

If next pandemic mainly targets 20 to 40 year olds for death i am sure you wont mind the oldies say its ok let them die they would have died eventually anyway
    Who have I thrown in the scrap heap? I’m not saying anyone should be left because they’re going to die anyway

Old people and ill people are quarantined now, and I say they should still be. I am not young, my parents are quite old, my Dad has underlying conditions. Still I don’t see why younger, healthy people should have the same restrictions put upon them. That doesn’t mean no restrictions, try not to make it sound like I’m suggesting that if you can.

If you’re in a room where the music is on at volume 10 and you think it should be on at 8, that doesn’t mean you want it turned off
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

TOPPING said:

Priti asked to apologise for lack of PPE.

Priti

Priti

No apology then.

Sorry if people think there have been failings.

Sounds like Corbyn over AntiSemitism

Refuses 3 times to apologise for actual failings.

Car Crash
    The difference with Corbyn is the government is trying to address the issue, not deny it.

How many times years was Corbyn asked about anti-semitism?
    Not a good look when you cant apologise for lack of PPE
    If she had you'd have been cheering Patel for landing Hancock in the sh*t.

Whatever they do, in your books, they cannot win.
    From this starting point probably not. We are pretty much going to be 2nd worst or worst in terms of outcomes of any European country so spin that as a triumph if you wish.

As for Hancock he should go after his accusation yesterday that those on the front line are wasting precious PPE

No matter how bad our numbers are you will never point out Government failings I presume?
    I've frequently criticised the government, for example for its handling of arrivals from abroad.

Earlier in this thread I wished someone asked Patel that question.

The difference is my criticism is specific, yours is general.

What difference would "an apology" have made - apart from open the government to wrongful death suits?

What constructive criticism of the government have you offered that didn't involve a time machine?
    The Home Secretary could easily have said:

“These are awful times and our front line workers need all the PPE they can get. We are painfully aware that we need to get still more to them. We are doing everything we can to fulfil our responsibilities and I have unyielding admiration for the amazing work they are doing in unimaginably difficult circumstances.”

No apology but some actual empathy and a recognition of facts without an admission of responsibility for the gap.
    She would never have said that. She would have said the govt were doin everythin and that she has unyieldin admiration for the amazin work they are doin.
    This is a little unfair. I hate alveolar nasalization as much as the next snob, but a lot of people in this country actually talk like that, and since it has been drummed into the public that they cannot feel truly represented unless their leaders look and sound exactly like them, what's a people's government to do?
    Promote someone from Worksop to be Home Secretary. As I said during the times of Dave not moving without promoting another OE into the cabinet, there are plenty of bright people around who come from places north of Leicester Forest.
  • Options
    To be honest 22% sounds low considering the whole economy has been turned upside down.
  • Options
    The great leveller: Africa’s elite have to use their own country’s hospitals

Politicians across the continent find that Covid-19 means they can no longer fly to London or Geneva for healthcare

When Nigeria’s all-powerful presidential chief of staff tested positive last month for the coronavirus, a doctor treating him in Lagos had to apply to a private London hospital for a copy of his medical records.

Like so many others among Africa’s ageing ruling elite, Abba Kyari and his friend, President Muhammadu Buhari, have always flown abroad for medical attention rather than risk their own chronically underfunded local hospitals.

Buhari, 77, has raised eyebrows for spending months at a time in London for treatment. Paul Biya, 87, president of Cameroon for the past 37 years, prefers the hospitals — and shopping — in Switzerland, where he has been known to spend a third of the year with Chantal, his wife. Just as enthusiastic a medical tourist was Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s former president. He died last year in a hospital in Singapore.

Now, though, with their borders sealed and airports closed because of the virus, Africa’s kleptocrats are grounded like everyone else.

The irony is that, while its free-travelling ruling caste has been badly affected, Africa has, for the moment at least, appeared to lag behind the rest of the world with only 12,000 confirmed Covid-19 cases and 627 deaths being reported — as of Friday — despite warnings that its 1.2 billion people, many living in tightly packed slums without electricity or running water, face devastation from the disease.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/the-great-leveller-africas-elite-have-to-use-their-own-countrys-hospitals-c36xw0j89
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    ukpaul said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

Yeah, but they were going to commit suicide or be battered to death anyway, we're just moving their deaths forwards.

This whole 'avoidable deaths' thing is the purest sophistry. What it needs is a focus now on mental health and moving those in danger of domestic violence to new accommodation (there's enough left empty at the moment), not saying 'well. we just have to let other people die instead'.

It is not an either/or.

There are, finally, signs of movement on mental health. Many nurses and others have been taken off crisis teams. Many patients have been cut adrift from any support, particularly those managed in the community. However, things are afoot. Several charity help lines have been roĺled into the NHS. Therapists in private practice are being brought in too.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:
    And because we have shut the world, we haven't (and hopefully won't) see far more people in their thirties and forties die.
    Because we'd run out of centenarians quite quickly, and we'd still be seeing huge numbers of people dying, so the younger echelons would arithmetically have had to catch up (because there's so many more of them).

Jeez - how many people are going to continue to say "because we succeeded, we've somehow proved that we didn't have to do anything in the first place"?
    Worse is the implication here that the measure we take should depend on who is dying.

If someone said we shouldn't shut down because mostly those it kills are poor/brown/jewish/muslim/transexual/disabled etc there would be wide spread condemnation of that sentiment.

However it seems the fact most it kills are over 50 and it seems in some posters minds they are acceptable damage.
    The problem with that analogy, comparing old people with illnesses and poor/brown/jewish/muslim/transexual/disabled, is that we dont let people die because of the things you must, but we sometimes do if people are old and ill

Anyway, I don’t think people who say the lockdown is over the top are saying it’s ok for old people to die, they’re saying they should be isolated from younger people whose lives should not be as restricted
    A lot of those you so blithely throw on the scrapheap with your comment have still got two or three decades of quality life in them as their underlying conditions are manageable.

If next pandemic mainly targets 20 to 40 year olds for death i am sure you wont mind the oldies say its ok let them die they would have died eventually anyway
    Who have I thrown in the scrap heap? I’m not saying anyone should be left because they’re going to die anyway

Old people and ill people are quarantined now, and I say they should still be. I am not young, my parents are quite old, my Dad has underlying conditions. Still I don’t see why younger, healthy people should have the same restrictions put upon them. That doesn’t mean no restrictions, try not to make it sound like I’m suggesting that if you can.

If you’re in a room where the music is on at volume 10 and you think it should be on at 8, that doesn’t mean you want it turned off
    Then perhaps don't retweet people who do want exactly that. You post a tweet here we assume unless you comments on it adversely that it is exactly what you support
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    My thoughts, this will probably annoy some people, sorry. that's not my intention. I would like somebody to enplane why this is wrong, because it is rather 'brutal'.

How this ends, I can see only 3 possibility:

1. A vaccine come out that works.
    2. we track trace and isolate everybody with this so it stops spreading.
    3. We reach saturation, where a sufficiently large number have become immune to stop the spread.

But there are problems with each:

1 A vaccine is the best hope, but probably still 14 months or more off, hopefully sooner, but it may a lot long and could never happen.
    2. its worked so far in South Korea and Taiwan, but with probably 100,000s with it in the UK it just does not seem achievable, and if we ever what to have international travel, globally I think this is not credible.
    3. Lots of people will die.

Given that its most likely to be, 3. Lots of people will die. so how many? No estimate is going to be accurate but what can we assume:

Assumptions:

R0 The infection rate is 2.6
    CFR based on German study is 0.37%
    UK Population is 66 million

from that we can calculate:

R0 of 2.6 will need 62% infected before infections become less that 1

62% of 66 million is 41 Million people

A CFR of 0.37% over 41 Million cases is 150,000 deaths.

150,000 deaths is a huge number. Very sadly, and I hope i'm wrong but I suspect unavoidable at this stage.

If the Hospitals are over-run in an area, it will go up from that, perhaps by a lot. if not the 150,000 it is.

While this is going on we have other this happening:

1) Los of individual freedom, I know this is sounds arbitrary even irreverent to some but it matter so me.
    2) increased deaths form other things, suicide is often quoted, but missed hospital treatment for other conditions will probably be bigger.
    3) disruption and damage to the wider economy.
    4) Disruption and damage to the education of a generation of Kids.

While the 150,000 deaths is probably 'backed in' now the other things are not and will depend on the time scale.

The risk of hospital over-running is real and should make us try to spread this out the other factors should want us to get this over with' as quickly as possible.

Balancing theses should give us a optimum infection rate to aim for.

Given the average 20-25 (I think) day lag between infection and death and the dramatic drop of in the rate of increase in deaths in last week, and that there is still some capacity in the NHS. now it the time to start to reopen the knockdown

The 0.37% CFR is not constant amusing the population: lower in young and heath people, higher in older and sick people. if we could find polices that would alaw the virus to spread quicker in the low risk groups the we can get to saturation before lots of the old/sick get the virus, and we may bring the 150,000 number down a bit.

Therefor we should open the schools, soon. to parents who wish to send there kids to school.

Am I just being callous? or does the logic hold?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

HYUFD said:

Priti Patel is thick as whale omelette.

Remember she was in favour of the death penalty because we don't wrongly convict innocent people.

She supported hangin' and floggin' ?
    Most Tory members do
    It have just remembered why I am not a member of the Tory Party.
    No we do not
    Sorry BigG. it is there in black and white for us all to see, straight from the keyboard of the Chair and spokesperson for Epping and Theydon Bois Conservatives.
    There was a YouGov poll of Tory members last year that had support for the death penalty at just under 60%.
    I suspect capital punishment, were it ever adopted as policy by the Party, could be a big pull to keep the former red-wall Tory voters on board, and a few million new former Labour voters too!
    The death penalty is evil.itself.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

It is not an either/or.

There are, finally, signs of movement on mental health. Many nurses and others have been taken off crisis teams. Many patients have been cut adrift from any support, particularly those managed in the community. However, things are afoot. Several charity help lines have been roĺled into the NHS. Therapists in private practice are being brought in too.
    Citation for the 1 in 400 suicide prediction?
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    Regarding the "Human trials of a coronavirus vaccine" (the previous thread), if the Oxford group vaccine passes its Stage 1 safety trails it would need to enter Stage 2 trials to determine its efficacy. I wonder if some NHS workers would be interested in enrolling in the trials. If the vaccine worked they could reduce their risk of getting the virus, to which they have a high risk of exposure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,265
    dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

It is not an either/or.

"Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph reported yesterday that the latest government modelling expects around 150,000 deaths caused by the lockdown itself."

Yes, but that includes deaths from people not getting standard NHS treatments/scans/early tests for cancer etc etc and further down the line due to the economic catastrophe caused by lockdown.
  • Options
    On twitter there is an interesting discussion on ICU percentage usage.

The NHS used to publish this data, but very strangely it has stopped.

Underneath there are posts suggesting that after ramping up capacity, the tumbleweed is blowing through some of these facilities.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

Another wild guess
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609

Politicians across the continent find that Covid-19 means they can no longer fly to London or Geneva for healthcare

When Nigeria’s all-powerful presidential chief of staff tested positive last month for the coronavirus, a doctor treating him in Lagos had to apply to a private London hospital for a copy of his medical records.

Like so many others among Africa’s ageing ruling elite, Abba Kyari and his friend, President Muhammadu Buhari, have always flown abroad for medical attention rather than risk their own chronically underfunded local hospitals.

Buhari, 77, has raised eyebrows for spending months at a time in London for treatment. Paul Biya, 87, president of Cameroon for the past 37 years, prefers the hospitals — and shopping — in Switzerland, where he has been known to spend a third of the year with Chantal, his wife. Just as enthusiastic a medical tourist was Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s former president. He died last year in a hospital in Singapore.

Now, though, with their borders sealed and airports closed because of the virus, Africa’s kleptocrats are grounded like everyone else.

The irony is that, while its free-travelling ruling caste has been badly affected, Africa has, for the moment at least, appeared to lag behind the rest of the world with only 12,000 confirmed Covid-19 cases and 627 deaths being reported — as of Friday — despite warnings that its 1.2 billion people, many living in tightly packed slums without electricity or running water, face devastation from the disease.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/the-great-leveller-africas-elite-have-to-use-their-own-countrys-hospitals-c36xw0j89

Maybe now the corrupt dictators will fix the countries they have stolen so much from.
  • Options

The ugly side of me thinks - you have to have a heart of stone etc.

The uglier side knows that people will be thrown out of the hospitals at gun point to clear a space for the Great Men.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250

Cant read out a simple number from an autocue.

Strugglin a bit at times but got through it.
  • Options

Underneath there are posts suggesting that after ramping up capacity, the tumbleweed is blowing through some of these facilities.

https://twitter.com/JacquelBenson/status/1248917344287698944
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    How many tests?

https://twitter.com/Harryb22/status/1248994294121345025

No i meant an actual number

"Three hundred thousand thirty four nine hundred seventy four thousand tests". Wow thats quite a few!! mind you tbf she got 9 am spot on
  • Options
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

It is not an either/or.

I think it was a joke. An assumption that every one of the 150K deaths would be suicide thanks to being locked in the house.
  • Options

And so in truth the NHS is taking (some would say) a well earned break from doing its job of treating the sick and injured.

What possible incentive could it have to report Coronavirus deaths properly. Especially if they are falling?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

My thoughts, this will probably annoy some people, sorry. that's not my intention. I would like somebody to enplane why this is wrong, because it is rather 'brutal'.

3. We reach saturation, where a sufficiently large number have become immune to stop the spread.

1 A vaccine is the best hope, but probably still 14 months or more off, hopefully sooner, but it may a lot long and could never happen.
    2. its worked so far in South Korea and Taiwan, but with probably 100,000s with it in the UK it just does not seem achievable, and if we ever what to have international travel, globally I think this is not credible.

Given that its most likely to be, 3. Lots of people will die. so how many? No estimate is going to be accurate but what can we assume:

Assumptions:

150,000 deaths is a huge number. Very sadly, and I hope i'm wrong but I suspect unavoidable at this stage.

If the Hospitals are over-run in an area, it will go up from that, perhaps by a lot. if not the 150,000 it is.

1) Los of individual freedom, I know this is sounds arbitrary even irreverent to some but it matter so me.
    2) increased deaths form other things, suicide is often quoted, but missed hospital treatment for other conditions will probably be bigger.

While the 150,000 deaths is probably 'backed in' now the other things are not and will depend on the time scale.

The risk of hospital over-running is real and should make us try to spread this out the other factors should want us to get this over with' as quickly as possible.

Given the average 20-25 (I think) day lag between infection and death and the dramatic drop of in the rate of increase in deaths in last week, and that there is still some capacity in the NHS. now it the time to start to reopen the knockdown

The 0.37% CFR is not constant amusing the population: lower in young and heath people, higher in older and sick people. if we could find polices that would alaw the virus to spread quicker in the low risk groups the we can get to saturation before lots of the old/sick get the virus, and we may bring the 150,000 number down a bit.

Therefor we should open the schools, soon. to parents who wish to send there kids to school.

iirc Denmark is opening primary schools.
  • Options

And so in truth the NHS is taking (some would say) a well earned break from doing its job of treating the sick and injured.

What possible incentive could it have to report Coronavirus deaths properly. Especially if they are falling?
    Honesty. Professionalism. Morality.

Three small things...
  • Options

Hopefully.

The most positive thing the Government / NHS has achieved is a rapid increase in ICU capacity

Nobody should be critical of over provision of capacity
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    For the moth-ers amongst us (and I know that is now most of you....), last night saw 5 new species for the year lured into the Robinson 125MV's.

Great Prominent
    Iron Prominent
    Pale Pinion
    Herald
    Small Phoenix

Here's a Great Prominent, unusually with its wings wide open (they usually have their wings wrapped around their body):

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

isam said:

Then perhaps don't retweet people who do want exactly that. You post a tweet here we assume unless you comments on it adversely that it is exactly what you support
    I just have an open mind on it and am interested in hearing all points of view. On here we only have support for the lockdown or criticism it’s not strict enough, so posting alternative POVs is a good thing
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    yeah, somewhere around the May Friday bank holiday.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Right....I'm going to go back to lurking for a while.....

My parting shot is that the Govt has to protect the NHS...we can deal with this virus bubbling away, provided it doesn't overwhelm the NHS...and until we get a vaccine....

The Times Story today was that we could get a vaccine by September...it's embarrassing...we are at least 1 and a half years from a vaccine...anyone who has engaged in any meaningful research study of any kind would know that....

Just think of the logistics of this kind of study...you need to identify your cohort, you vaccine some, you placebo the others, you control group another who you do nothing with..you have to identify somewhere out of lockdown where the virus is in the population...you monitor and record these three groups and you collate the results...and you peer review...who will undoubtedly push back with some questions......

Anyway I'm off for now...I'm going to use my lockdown for the foreseeable to listen to music, tidy my manuscripts, and read novels....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Well, that's a touch worrying. Italy/Spain example suggests it might be near 2 months from peak (now-ish?) before we drop below 500 new cases a day.
  • Options

BigRich said:

What a Cretinous comment
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

The great leveller: Africa’s elite have to use their own country’s hospitals....

Heart of stone etc...
  • Options

BigRich said:

What a Cretinous comment
    what are the numbers for ICU occupancy rates then sunshine? after they have boosted capacity so much?

You cant tell me can you?
  • Options
    Zero deaths today in Germany?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

ukpaul said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

ukpaul said:

isam said:

It is not an either/or.

No idea. I didn't quote it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    isam said:

I just have an open mind on it and am interested in hearing all points of view. On here we only have support for the lockdown or criticism it’s not strict enough, so posting alternative POVs is a good thing

But can't you see the obvious flaw in the tweet? It's only because of what is being done is that it hasn't got a lot worse.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I just left an easter egg outside a woman’s house. This is covid-19 dating.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

BigRich said:

Assumptions:

iirc Denmark is opening primary schools.
    Anyone know the maximum lag between infection and death? I'm curious to know if I had it very mildly 2-3 wks ago. If I'm immune I could volunteer to help other oldies collect prescriptions, etc.

One day in mid-Feb I was sitting across a dinner table from the doctor who later died of it; was he shedding virus particles by then? His family certainly don't think he was protected enough

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-family-of-first-nhs-surgeon-to-die-from-covid-19-speaks-out-after-his-death-11966377
  • Options

Hopefully.

The most positive thing the Government / NHS has achieved is a rapid increase in ICU capacity

Yes but you don't know because they are not telling you. You have no idea. You don;t know if ICU usage is 10% or 90%. You are completely ignorant of that number aren;t you?

Ask yourself why.
  • Options
    tyson said:

My parting shot is that the Govt has to protect the NHS...we can deal with this virus bubbling away, provided it doesn't overwhelm the NHS...and until we get a vaccine....

The Times Story today was that we could get a vaccine by September...it's embarrassing...we are at least 1 and a half years from a vaccine...anyone who has engaged in any meaningful research study of any kind would know that....

Just think of the logistics of this kind of study...you need to identify your cohort, you vaccine some, you placebo the others, you control group another who you do nothing with..you have to identify somewhere out of lockdown where the virus is in the population...you monitor and record these three groups and you collate the results...and you peer review...who will undoubtedly push back with some questions......

Anyway I'm off for now...I'm going to use my lockdown for the foreseeable to listen to music, tidy my manuscripts, and read novels....

Or as someone said earlier there is good news and bad news on the vaccine

Tripe ... Marketing ... Board
    @TripeUK
    Good news: A vaccine for Coronavirus could be available in the UK by September.
    Bad news: Matt Hancock will be in charge of distribution.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    isam said:

Apart from my personal anxiety, I do see an argument for getting those non-Covid patients who need urgent surgery or treatment back into the medical system given we now have some facilities away from main hospitals or other temporary field hospitals.

If there is available capacity, I'd have no issue with it being used to help those people with chronic or urgent non-Covid conditions who need proper care and treatment.

That's NOT the same as saying the lock down should be ended, wholly or partially, at this time.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

So you'd rather more of us were critically ill to fill up those ICU beds?

Pathetic.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    From NW3 - have to report quite a few people wandering about now, not ostensibly exercising or shopping. First time this has happened. Lockdown possibly on the slide here. Disappointing.
  • Options
    stodge said:

isam said:

Apart from my personal anxiety, I do see an argument for getting those non-Covid patients who need urgent surgery or treatment back into the medical system given we now have some facilities away from main hospitals or other temporary field hospitals.

If there is available capacity, I'd have no issue with it being used to help those people with chronic or urgent non-Covid conditions who need proper care and treatment.

That's NOT the same as saying the lock down should be ended, wholly or partially, at this time.

Yes but nobody knows anything about capacity or utilisation do they? And they don;t want you know in case you start asking awkward questions about why people with other serious conditions are not being treated.

• Options

Pathetic.
    We don;t know that loosening the lockdown would cause that.

What we do know is it would save a portion of the two million people set to lose their jobs from losing them.

It woud save our public finances from going completely out of control.

It would save the lives of some of the people who might die from the depression a long lockdown would cause.

Those are givens.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    kinabalu said:

From NW3 - have to report quite a few people wandering about now, not ostensibly exercising or shopping. First time this has happened. Lockdown possibly on the slide here. Disappointing.

You can walk to the park or down the street and take exercise, you do not have to be doing starjumps, as long as you are not in a big group it does not matter
  • Options

tyson said:

Or as someone said earlier there is good news and bad news on the vaccine

Tripe ... Marketing ... Board
    @TripeUK
    Good news: A vaccine for Coronavirus could be available in the UK by September.
    Bad news: Matt Hancock will be in charge of distribution.
    The future is already here, just not very well distributed.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andrew said:

Well, that's a touch worrying. Italy/Spain example suggests it might be near 2 months from peak (now-ish?) before we drop below 500 new cases a day.

It does not really matter what people think, the government (which still has 4 years left of its term and has a majority) will act on scientists advice when to end the lockdown and the police will enforce the lockdown until then
  • Options

Hopefully.

Yes but you don't know because they are not telling you. You have no idea. You don;t know if ICU usage is 10% or 90%. You are completely ignorant of that number aren;t you?

Ask yourself why.
    Well i know the numbers at my local hospitals ICU

2 weeks ago 1 ventilated Covid 19 patient 7 others
    1 week ago 6 Covid 19 and 2 others
    last night 18 and 1

Original ventilator capacity was 22 can go up to 32 by using theatres but no further due to pipe capacity at maximum

The number of deaths at the hospital was 1/15/31 over same time period
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It does not really matter what people think, the government (which still has 4 years left of its term and has a majority) will act on scientists advice when to end the lockdown and the police will enforce the lockdown until then

The politics of it don't matter very much in all honesty. The question isn't so much when as how the lockdown will be eased.

Some countries (Austria, Germany, Denmark) are already moving to a limited relaxation of restrictions.

I suppose we could see how they fare in terms of new cases before making a similar move.
  • Options

Hopefully.

Ask yourself why.
    Well i know the numbers at my local hospitals ICU

2 weeks ago 1 ventilated Covid 19 patient 7 others
    1 week ago 6 Covid 19 and 2 others
    last night 18 and 1

Original ventilator capacity was 22 can go up to 32 by using theatres but no further due to pipe capacity at maximum

The number of deaths at the hospital was 1/15/31 over same time period
    The number of Covid cases was

29.3.20 - 11 cases
    4.4.20 - 62 cases
    10.4.20 - 155 cases
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013

To be honest 22% sounds low considering the whole economy has been turned upside down.
    For sure , I would have thought it was that or higher before. Most people in reality are a month away from disaster.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898

Today is not over yet.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited April 2020

Chris said:

BigRich said:

You seem to assume there is some sort of easy way out of this. There isn't .
    It is not a case of "when" we return to normal, it is a case of "if" we return to normal.

Until we find a vaccine which could be a year or more away this is the new "normal". Lock down will get relaxed somewhat but the life we had before is not returning any time soon.

It is simplistic nonsense to imagine everything would have been hunky dory if we had only been allowed to keep going down the pub and to the footy.

The virus was going to crash the economy whatever action we took. Those are are doing best are those that took even more drastic action.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    There's something else important that we need to remember with respect to the duration of the lockdown, beyond the issues both of the necessity to maintain suppression and of public consent (an important contributor to the latter of which is tested by this poll.)

We would expect, and indeed the Government and its advisors have confirmed as much in recent daily briefings, that work is going on behind the scenes to quantify the likely impact of the lockdown on public health - both directly through the deferment and cancellation of treatments and appointments, due to capacity pressures created by the coronavirus, and indirectly through the consequences of the lockdown measures, and the longer-term impact on incomes and rates of poverty that they are bound to create.

So, what happens if the numbers are crunched and at some point in May it is revealed that the effects of the lockdown will harm or kill more people than the coronavirus itself? Everyone cares right now about people falling victim to Covid-19, because it is an immediate fatal event and is easily directly linked to this disaster; nobody presently gives a stuff about the sixty-year-old woman who's going to die next year because her routine breast screening was scrapped and her cancer wasn't spotted early enough, or about the fifteen-year-old boy who's going to kill himself in ten years' time because his prospects of a decent income and standard of living were ruined by an economic depression, and no-one beyond their immediate social circles will know or care when those personal tragedies eventually come to pass.

Basically, if the estimates suggest that we can save 100,000 lives over five years by easing restrictions in such a way that 10,000 extra people who would otherwise have dodged the coronavirus bullet will be struck down by it, mostly within the next few months, then logically those particular restrictions ought to be eased. If, on the other hand, those numbers are reversed then they ought not to be.

The decision to which the Government comes when armed with this new data - and especially if the numbers point towards the need to ease lockdown and deliberately sacrifice citizens for the greater long-term good - will be the acid test of whether or not it is truly committed to following scientific advice. We might, perhaps, have some sympathy for Boris Johnson for being the poor bugger who's going to end up having to make that choice.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Pathetic.
    We don;t know that loosening the lockdown would cause that.

What we do know is it would save a portion of the two million people set to lose their jobs from losing them.

It woud save our public finances from going completely out of control.

It would save the lives of some of the people who might die from the depression a long lockdown would cause.

Those are givens.
    The trouble is that loosening the lockdown would appear to cause nothing to happen (except that the virus would start to grow exponentially) for two weeks. Then we'd be back to where we were with cases followed by deaths again growing exponentially.
    Maybe you should look up what 'exponentially' means.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Today is not over yet.
    No but they have reported 1707 new cases but no deaths yet.

Strange
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The politics of it don't matter very much in all honesty. The question isn't so much when as how the lockdown will be eased.

Some countries (Austria, Germany, Denmark) are already moving to a limited relaxation of restrictions.

I suppose we could see how they fare in terms of new cases before making a similar move.
    The Austrian lockdown is interesting. Their case rate is still growing (albeit at a slow rate), and they're beginning to relax restrictions on Monday. I wonder if that might be a bit early.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013

yeah, somewhere around the May Friday bank holiday.
    Lots of snowflakes about for certain. This country is pathetic, full of whinging jessies.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    ... at which point, what?
    They volunteer to take the risk of getting the virus and giving it to their friends and family?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,705
    My prediction was that about 6 weeks was what people would put up with.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited April 2020

There's something else important that we need to remember with respect to the duration of the lockdown, beyond the issues both of the necessity to maintain suppression and of public consent (an important contributor to the latter of which is tested by this poll.)

We would expect, and indeed the Government and its advisors have confirmed as much in recent daily briefings, that work is going on behind the scenes to quantify the likely impact of the lockdown on public health - both directly through the deferment and cancellation of treatments and appointments, due to capacity pressures created by the coronavirus, and indirectly through the consequences of the lockdown measures, and the longer-term impact on incomes and rates of poverty that they are bound to create.

So, what happens if the numbers are crunched and at some point in May it is revealed that the effects of the lockdown will harm or kill more people than the coronavirus itself? Everyone cares right now about people falling victim to Covid-19, because it is an immediate fatal event and is easily directly linked to this disaster; nobody presently gives a stuff about the sixty-year-old woman who's going to die next year because her routine breast screening was scrapped and her cancer wasn't spotted early enough, or about the fifteen-year-old boy who's going to kill himself in ten years' time because his prospects of a decent income and standard of living were ruined by an economic depression, and no-one beyond their immediate social circles will know or care when those personal tragedies eventually come to pass.

Basically, if the estimates suggest that we can save 100,000 lives over five years by easing restrictions in such a way that 10,000 extra people who would otherwise have dodged the coronavirus bullet will be struck down by it, mostly within the next few months, then logically those particular restrictions ought to be eased. If, on the other hand, those numbers are reversed then they ought not to be.

The decision to which the Government comes when armed with this new data - and especially if the numbers point towards the need to ease lockdown and deliberately sacrifice citizens for the greater long-term good - will be the acid test of whether or not it is truly committed to following scientific advice. We might, perhaps, have some sympathy for Boris Johnson for being the poor bugger who's going to end up having to make that choice.
    It really is an unenviable choice. However, the alternative to lock down is almost certainly still economic depression. I had already closed by shop by the time the Govt. closed all of them. Most pubs and restaurants would have struggled to survive people voting with their feet, etc etc
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Chris said:

BigRich said:

You seem to assume there is some sort of easy way out of this. There isn't .
    It is not a case of "when" we return to normal, it is a case of "if" we return to normal.

Until we find a vaccine which could be a year or more away this is the new "normal". Lock down will get relaxed somewhat but the life we had before is not returning any time soon.

It is simplistic nonsense to imagine everything would have been hunky dory if we had only been allowed to keep going down the pub and to the footy.

The virus was going to crash the economy whatever action we took. Those are are doing best are those that took even more drastic action.
    We don't even know how long any acquired immunity would last.

These morons could have us sacrifice half a million lives to their ignorance, and for all we know the same thing might happen all over again next year.

Stupidity really can be fatal.
  • Options

First, apologies for snipping some of your excellent response.

It comes down to some simple questions: Is my life worth more than yours? Is my death more significant because in laying down my life I help GDP just a little by giving someone else a chance?

That's the logical end point of your argument - dress it up however you like but have we not lost something when we value all life simply in economic terms?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

My prediction was that about 6 weeks was what people would put up with.
    This. This, x 100 times.

Those who were screaming for lockdown weeks ago, and those like Owen Jones who now say it was a mistake not to lockdown weeks ago, have to accept that the fundamental problem is that people are social animals and they can't stand it.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited April 2020

What are they going to do to get those people who are to be sacrificed to acquiesce? Force them out of their homes? Refuse them financial assistance (when others have been given it. to stop them going out)? This is where the freedom questions spins around, those who are desperate to not be under a lockdown seem awfully keen to stop others from being so.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

You can walk to the park or down the street and take exercise, you do not have to be doing starjumps, as long as you are not in a big group it does not matter
    That's reasonable. Some of those people may be on their way shopping rather than coming back with bags; others may be walking for exercise. There is nothing to say you have to be running or on a bike, and a lot of people aren't fit enough to do anything strenuous even if they felt inclined to do so.

FWIW nearly everything I see out and about around here continues to suggest very high levels of observance. The streets and open spaces are very quiet and road traffic is light; you only see significant concentrations of people gathering to do their shopping (where they are all now being arranged into well-ordered but very slow-moving queues outside the supermarkets.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,705

A lot of hospitals are pretty quiet at the moment according to some reports.
  • Options
    No of tests per Million Population

UK is now 57th

1 week ago we were 50th

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

we have now done

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    stodge said:

First, apologies for snipping some of your excellent response.

It comes down to some simple questions: Is my life worth more than yours? Is my death more significant because in laying down my life I help GDP just a little by giving someone else a chance?

That's the logical end point of your argument - dress it up however you like but have we not lost something when we value all life simply in economic terms?
    If we lose 50,000 lives to Coronavirus now, or 50,000 lives to suicides, other serious illnesses, poverty, etc, over the course of the next five years, you have a point.

Who is to judge which lives are more valuable? (Although, as you hint, if you want to be really hard headed about it, age and futue economic productivity should give you a clue).

However, if it turns out the economic consequences of the lockdown are an order of magnitude greater than the virus itself, say, 10,000 extra lives lost to the virus now if we ease restrictions, vs 100,000 lives lost later if we do not, the choice is obvious.

I fear the consequences of the virus are very "known" at this point whereas the depth and potential consequences of economic depression are very unknown and could be very severe indeed.

If, for example, damage to the economy caused by each extra day or week in lockdown is exponential, not linear, we will be in a world of pain by the time it lifts.

When the furlough ends after three months. When rent and mortgage holidays end. When the redundancies start. When high street names go to the wall. Small businesses fold. Who knows how much damage will be done. It is a complete unknown.
  • Options
    Mail:

Iceland has tested one-tenth of its population for coronavirus at random and found that half of people have the disease without realising.

They also discovered that 1,600 people have been infected with Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak. Of these cases, there were only seven deaths, indicating a fatality rate of just 0.004 per cent, which is significantly lower than other countries, including the UK.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964

No of tests per Million Population

UK is now 57th

1 week ago we were 50th

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

we have now done

Utterly meaningless. On that score Germany are doing terribly as they are only 21st.
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    kinabalu said:

I saw the same yesterday as well on my way back from Waitrose.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695

It is encouraging that people are becoming aware of the socio-economic determinants of premature death, whether suicide or from cancer. I hope people consider these to be important once the current pandemic abates, rather than go back to their pursuit of mammon and devil take the hindmost.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,499
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:
    PPE and testing is where the government and the comms side have utterly messed up.

And I say that as someone who has been largely supportive of the government’s handling of Covid-19.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Andy_JS said:

Which would be excellent news
  • Options

RobD said:
    PPE and testing is where the government and the comms side have utterly messed up.

And I say that has been largely supportive of the government’s handling of Covid-19.
    The thing that worries me about the testing now is the political pressure means that testing will be ramped up regardless of whether it is being focused where it is needed. It's all about increasing numbers over using it effectively at the moment.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

And I say that has been largely supportive of the government’s handling of Covid-19.
    widespread testing is a necessary thing for the ending of lockdown and a return to localised disease suppression.

It is hard to see why we remain so pisspoor at increasing the numbers. Nearly every country has ramped up the numbers. I cannot believe that Iceland has a very large baseline diagnostics base.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    So

following on from MM's moth announcements, a list of the birds I have seen or heard from my property since the lockdown started. Anything seen or heard when I was outside my bounds had been excluded

Blackbird
    Blackcap
    Wren
    Robin
    Blue tit
    Great tit
    Long tailed tit
    Song Thrush
    Chaffinch
    Goldcrest
    Greenfinch
    Chiffchaff
    House sparrow
    Swallow
    Starling
    Pied Wagtail
    Magpie
    Rook
    Carrion crow
    Pheasant
    Partridge
    Canada goose
    Greylag goose
    Red Kite
    Buzzard
    Kestrel
    Mallard (Actually this is a pet)
    Woodpigeon
    Collared dove
    Tawny Owl
    Domestic Fowl
    Running Ducks

There are a few more but I lack the skill to identify their calls although I am getting better at that.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

... at which point, what?
    They volunteer to take the risk of getting the virus and giving it to their friends and family?
    Whilst simultaneously screaming that the NHS is under pressure and people are dying and what are the authorities going to do about it
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

What are they going to do to get those people are being sacrificed to acquiesce? Force thenm out of their homes? Refuse them financial assistance (when others have been given it. to stop them going out)? This is where the freedom questions spins around, those who are desperate to not be under a lockdown seem awfully keen to stop others from being so.
    I would expect that the easing of lockdown, when it comes, will be gradual and will probably begin with the re-opening of discretionary retail, followed by the schools. The hospitality industry will probably be shuttered for many months and will bear the brunt of the longer-term economic damage, because even when it is allowed to start back up many businesses will already have failed, and those that survive will be made to implement social distancing protocols which will substantially reduce the number of customers they can serve at any one time.

I think it highly likely that the shielded group and the over-70s will essentially be told to stay in lockdown until a vaccine is developed or herd immunity is achieved, although how many people in those groups will be able to bear being isolated for that long is open to question. I also think that the instruction to work from home for all those able to do so will remain in place for the duration, because it's one of the most effective social distancing measures available and the least damaging one economically (indeed, it has net positive benefits for some workers and businesses, and arguably for the environment too,) so it makes sense to leave it alone.

The point that I was trying to get over is that all relaxations of the lockdown are liable to increase the number of coronavirus cases amongst the population, but on the other hand most or all of the lockdown measures have significant negative consequences for public health as well. The Government is placed in the unenviable position of trying to find the least worst way to balance these conflicting pressures. Put at its crudest, we can't continue as we are indefinitely because the economy will eventually collapse, taking the healthcare system down with it, and people will be dying left, right and centre of preventable illnesses and starvation. So the lockdown will have to be eased, it's simply a matter of by what degree and on what timescale.

None of this implies a mass forcible ejection of vulnerable persons out into the community if they are determined to remain at home and/or it is deemed essential for them to do so. In practice, however, there are bound to be meaningful numbers of people who are both medically vulnerable and have occupations where they would otherwise be expected to return to work, who are going to have to rely on understanding employers to keep them on if they are unable to fulfil those roles remotely. Generous employers with deep pockets willing to sign people off long-term sick, in combination with the furlough scheme, should rescue a lot of them, but a fraction are bound to end up unemployed and potentially in severe financial difficulty as a result. That will just be one more part of the immensely difficult and complex calculation that Government is bound to undertake.
  • Options
    Future Leader of the Opposition though maybe
  • Options

Hopefully.

Ask yourself why.
    No. YOU have no idea. Not a bloody clue.

According to the data that have been released, deaths in ICU represent only a small fraction of deaths from COVID in hospital.

The figure documented by ICNARC (reported up to 9 April) is 871 deaths, from 3883 admissions. (At that date, outcomes had been reported for 43% of the patients admitted to ICU.)
    https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/41bbc4bb-2c7b-ea11-9124-00505601089b

The total number of deaths in hospital announced on 9 April was 7978.

Evidently less than half of even the hospital patients who had died had been admitted to ICU. Perhaps as few as 11%.

Half the patients admitted to ICU were 61 or younger. Three quarters were 69 or younger. This is a disease known to have the highest fatality rate in those in their 70s and above. If the ICUs are keeping their heads above water at all it is because of ruthless targeting of resources towards the younger patients with better prospects.

The idea that 90% of ICU capacity could be going unused is as offensive piece of ignorant fantasy as I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well yes, or at least some parts are. For some reason patients don't want to come to diabetic outpatients. I cannot think why...
This discussion has been closed.