Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer gets his LAB victory with 56% of the votes on the firs

123457»

Comments

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    THIS THREAD HAS BEEN FURLOUGHED BY ORDER OF LIVERPOOL FC
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

anyone got any estimates at what the furlough scheme will cost? To me its over generous at the govenment end and discourages people moving to more useful jobs in this crisis , ditto the self employed scheme.

The whole idea seems crazy to me.

If I got paid £2500 for sitting at home, there's no way I'd be out looking for a new job.
    I imagine most will be expecting to return to their actual jobs in a few weeks rather than look for entirely new jobs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Just watched the ISS fly overhead

Even a decent set of binoculars will show up its solar panels....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    Nigelb said:
    There is however a problem in California as a whole as it has the second lowest rate of testing of any US state. They have completed 835 tests per million people compared to New York state which has done 12,000 tests per million people.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    edited April 2020

On HS2

HS2 Northern Ltd has just been registered at Companies House.

Will deliver HS2 Phase 2 and NPR.

HS2 is a fascinating issue in terms of the cross section of opinions you get. On PB, you have Manchester Kurt aggressively supporting it because he thinks it will be good for the North, because too much is spent on London, and Alastair Meeks opposing it, presumably for the same reason, because he feels it's London subsidising the inbred yokels of the provinces. On the other side, you have Northerners vigorously opposed to it, because they think it's being done purely to increase London's talent pool at the expense of the provinces, and Londoners, who support it for the same reason. It's like a strange matrix or flow chart.
    and what is the position away from this forum, from the northern business community, the northern politicians etc. ?

This place is not representative of how there is very great support across the business and politicians of the north. not remotely represetative.
    Only because they have been conned into thinking it will be good for them - which it won't. The TGV in France sucked business away from the regions and increased its concentration in Paris rather than increasing regional wealth. .
    Yep

There are mayors all over France, Spain, Italy, Germany.... all campaigning to have their high speed railway stations closed and the railways down graded.

Presumably the M6 has exactly the same affect on northern cities?

Just love how us northerners are too stupid to know what is good for us and how we need southerners to tell us we are wrong about what is good for us.
    Don't be a dumbass all your life. No one campaigns to have stuff shut down. But the facts are the facts. HS2 will not help equalise GDP between the North and South. If anything it will make it worse. As it has done between Paris and the French regions.

Edit: oh and you clearly need lessons in Geography as well.
This discussion has been closed.