Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even LAB voters are giving Johnson positive leader ratings

Comments

• squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Apparently they've now moved "permanently" to California. I'd be very intrigued to know exactly what visa status Harry is in seeing as State and USCIS have suspended in-person interviews. Somehow I doubt ICE will be feeling Harry's collar anytime soon though.
    Isn't he married to an American?
    Yes, as am I, but it took about six months and a lot of paperwork and an in=person interview at the US embassy to get my immigrant visa. Given that Harry & Meghan have been gallivanting around between the UK, Canada and the US, colour me a wee bit suspicious that he has a Green Card waiting to be mailed to him.
    Who gives a flying fuck so long as I'm not contributing to their costs.
    It’s a bit sad for Harry tho. He’s chosen the worst time to look like a frivolous, woke, self indulgent cuck.

In a time of global hilarity his antics might have worked. Now him and Meghan are scorned, and it will get worse.

I doubt he can come back from this.
    Keeper. He has never been lazy. He has fought for his country. FFS
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    ABZ said:

eristdoof said:

From the Guardian
    "The UK’s death toll from Covid-19 has risen to 1,408. The figures published by the Department of Health and Social Care relate to those that had died in hospitals as of 5pm on Sunday. From tomorrow, the ONS will begin producing weekly statistics which take in deaths in the community."

So the official number of deaths in the UK is only for people who die in hospital!
    Wow.
    Does anyone know what other countries are doing?

Pretty much the same I think - certainly France is doing this and I think @kamski earlier said this was also what was going on in Germany.
    Kamski claimed that in Germany, people who die and have never been tested are not tested post-mortem, which is another bias to the figures but not the same thing. Although it is possible he said what you are claiming as well, but I wasn't reading at the time.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,773
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1244685413773643781?s=19

If that bedspace is typical, then they have ventilators and oxygen. Impressive.

Top that Hubei *lightweights*.
    It looks like an anaesthetic machine rather than a scrap heap challenge one.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    kle4 said:

I'm surprised no one has complained that the new hospitals have been called "Nightingale" and not "Seacole"....or at least some of them.....

Still, Yoon snowflakes have any mention of Scotland over which to get the vapours.

https://twitter.com/ianssmart/status/1244370837119152135?s=20

Had some fun with that one last night. Touchy people out there.
    He's still going.

https://twitter.com/ianssmart/status/1244677484567764992?s=20
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763
    Cyclefree said:
    Which won't happen as I believe it require unanimity in the vote to even withdraw voting rights and that is not going to happen as other visegrad countries won't vote yes
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Apparently they've now moved "permanently" to California. I'd be very intrigued to know exactly what visa status Harry is in seeing as State and USCIS have suspended in-person interviews. Somehow I doubt ICE will be feeling Harry's collar anytime soon though.
    Yes, as am I, but it took about six months and a lot of paperwork and an in=person interview at the US embassy to get my immigrant visa. Given that Harry & Meghan have been gallivanting around between the UK, Canada and the US, colour me a wee bit suspicious that he has a Green Card waiting to be mailed to him.
    It’s a bit sad for Harry tho. He’s chosen the worst time to look like a frivolous, woke, self indulgent cuck.

In a time of global hilarity his antics might have worked. Now him and Meghan are scorned, and it will get worse.

I’m talking about perceptions. I was a big fan of Harry. And Meghan, for that matter.

It’s a damn shame but they’ve turned into the prince of Wales and Mrs Simpson, governing the Bahamas during the war.
    Your perception....
    edited March 2020

kinabalu said:

Of course we will be happy to go back. A millennium of national DNA doesn't change in response to a single crisis. This is pure wishful thinking on your part.

This is a War. The last time we had one the nation that emerged on the other side was quite different to the one going in. You think business as usual for private schools. I think they will be out of kilter with the post corona New Deal society. They will seem a bit 'off' and the habit will wither. Bit like smoking. We will see who is right.
    In the last war, my old school had many of its historic buildings gutted by the Luftwaffe's incendiaries. When restoration work was eventually completed, the school's main hall was re-opened by Elizabeth II with the inscription of a new elegiac couplet on the far wall:

SCORPIUS EGREGIAM MOLEM PERCUSSIT ELISSAE
    RURSUS ELISSA AEDES DEDICAT EGREGIAS

MCMLX

'A missile struck the excellent edifice of Elizabeth;
    Once again does an Elizabeth dedicate an edifice of excellence'

The first letter of each Latin word spells out an acronym - SEMPER EADEM ('Always The Same'). This was the motto of the school's official foundress, Elizabeth I, whose royal successor in name and title re-opened the school 400 years later.

I think we'll be just fine :smile:
    Semper Eadem is the motto of the City of Leicester.

I think "always reliable" is a more flattering translation than "boring".
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

I see Trump has moved Easter to end of April.

He heard it was a moveable feast :wink:
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    stodge said:

TGOHF666 said:

Especially one that might only last 4-6 weeks.

Is it your view then that all restrictions should be lifted on April 15th with the main objective being to get the country back to work and the economy to normal operation?

Do you think we should have adopted the same policy as Sweden even if that meant more infections and more deaths?
    Time to judge the Swedish approach is in 2021 not now.

If the rate of deaths stays around 200 for a week or so then the pressure to begin to lift the lockdown will rightly rise.

We can't cancel everything forever based on this level of outbreak.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,593
    BigRich said:

kyf_100 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Just to correct you.

Our local private school is open and schooling children from the essential services and is remaining open over Easter.

Your dislike of public schools is fortunately not shared by most reasonable voters nor the labour party

I was more thinking about the financial crisis awaiting many private schools post corona. I predict mass closures.

On your last point, yes I am (sadly) aware that I am in a minority across all groups in recognizing that private schools are one of the most potent engines of inequality that we have. But you know what, I think this might be about to change. I'm not just saying that. I really do.

Think about it. When we emerge as a nation from this transformational communal experience, are we going to be happy to see a return to the hegemony of elite fee-paying schools that nurses and supermarket workers and binmen and cleaners and firefighters and police officers - and most of those who have busted a gut to keep the show on the road for however long this lasts - cannot afford to send their kids to?

I sense not. Change is coming and this will be part of it.
    I think you’re making the mistake of assuming they will actually care either way. Most of them will be more interested in ensuring their children have the chance to go to good schools themselves.

Private schools are, as I have noted many times, already struggling. However, it is unlikely all two thousand odd will close. Maybe four or five hundred - but then a lot of their students will go to other private schools making little overall difference to the numbers.

The killer for private schools in the medium term is pensions. But that’s also a killer for government finances as well.
    It strikes me that what the private education sector is crying out for is a cheap and cheerful chain store option.

The way you used to have independent opticians, now you have boots and vision express. Able to exploit economies of scale.

I reckon the main reason why private schools do better is because the sort of parents who are willing to pay extra to fork out for their children's education are the sort who foster the importance of education in their own children's mindset.

So essentially you could take all the privately educated kids, put them in the state system (but only with other kids who would have been privately educated) and they would still have better outcomes.

So in theory you could operate schools on a cheap as chips basis but even being willing to pay a nominal extra fee would ensure grouping among other students with a better chance of higher educational attainment.
    In fact Chris Woodhead was involved in the setup of some barebones (no olympic swimming pools) private schools. Which pretty much proved the point about the academic performance being the cheap bit to provide.

Another idea is to stream by subject - so that the kids who want to learn can, and the ones who want to punch the teachers can get on with that.
    The other attempt is happening in Durham; The "Independent Grammar School" is trying to run a primary education for about £3000 / year. What probably stuffs them is that, even if your local primary is pretty bad, itsi probably not £ 3000 / year worse. Actually, unless your local school really is a hellhole, the best plan is to send your children to the local school. Just make sure that the time they saw not travelling so far doing extra homework. The effect of that is almost certainly bigger than the academic gains caused by the school, rather than by the school's choice of pupils.
    Fees are £2,704 a year.

The school is saving money in many ways including renting out the premises at weekends. and having top teachers teach large class.

https://www.igsdurham.com/why-igs

We are yet to see how successful it is, but at the moment its had no trouble finding parents willing to pay.

It has had a campaign of 'harassment' from the teachers union, who I don't think would of cared if they where not scared that it would be successful.
    According to this article,
    http://schoolsweek.co.uk/no-frills-private-school-founder-eyes-seven-more-north-east-sites/
    £2995 from September, with a hope of 40 pupils, 4 staff and breakeven.
    I won't question that James Tooley has found a gap in the market, but it's not a big one.

The 0825 to Waterloo this morning. My contact had the carriage to himself.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,272
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

In every country in the entire world that I have ever heard of the children of the nomenklatura do better than the children of the rank and file. No other country in the world has a private education system like that of the UK. This makes me think that you are attacking a (comparatively harmless) symptom when you think you are attacking the disease.

That implies that you think either (i) the disease cannot be cured or (ii) any feasible cure would be worse than the disease. Disease being gross inequality of opportunity. You may well be right. But let's have a serious bash at it before we conclude that you are.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I’m talking about perceptions. I was a big fan of Harry. And Meghan, for that matter.

It’s a damn shame but they’ve turned into the prince of Wales and Mrs Simpson, governing the Bahamas during the war.
    Spoken from a bunker full of supplies on the Welsh coast?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Indeed, Harry's favourability rating with the public has plunged from 71% to 55% and Meghan's from 55% to just 38%. Indeed even Camilla now has a higher favourable rating than Meghan who only beats Prince Andrew in the royal polling (just as well they are soon to be ex royals).
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/01/13/brits-side-queen-over-harry-and-meghan

Conservative and Leave and older voters all now give them a net negative rating, though they do better with Labour voters, Remainers and under 50s
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Not even with a new name?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

In every country in the entire world that I have ever heard of the children of the nomenklatura do better than the children of the rank and file. No other country in the world has a private education system like that of the UK. This makes me think that you are attacking a (comparatively harmless) symptom when you think you are attacking the disease.

That implies that you think either (i) the disease cannot be cured or (ii) any feasible cure would be worse than the disease. Disease being gross inequality of educational provision and consequent life opportunity. You may well be right. But let's have a serious bash at it before we conclude that you are.
    Or let's not as you are targetting the wrong thing. Target inequality of parenting and I think a lot would agree with you.

Those with money will always get better education either from private tutors, schooling abroad etc. Your way merely leads to "educated in britain" being a mark of mediocrity
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Indeed, Harry's favourability rating with the public has plunged from 71% to 55% and Meghan's from 55% to just 38%. Indeed even Camilla now has a higher favourable rating than Meghan who only beats Prince Andrew in the royal polling (just as well they are soon to be ex royals).
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/01/13/brits-side-queen-over-harry-and-meghan

Conservative and Leave and older voters all now give them a net negative rating, though they do better with Labour voters, Remainers and under 25s
    It's when I see posts like this that I understand why they emigrated. We live in a hateful and spiteful country.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Conservative and Leave and older voters all now give them a net negative rating, though they do better with Labour voters, Remainers and under 25s
    It's when I see posts like this that I understand why they emigrated. We live in a hateful and spiteful country.
    Cause and effect? The numbers went down after they flounced off.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,602
    edited March 2020

I see Trump has moved Easter to end of April.

He heard it was a moveable feast :wink:
    Tish Boom
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,747
    DavidL said:

I need another shower. I hate having to agree with Morgan.
    It's especially embarrassing when he hasn't got a good argument.
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I had to laugh when he was introduced to some talk he was giving as just "Harry".

I'm hardly a royalist, but even I was thinking why should we listen to him when he's not even a prince anymore. He's now just some bloke who has never actually done anything interesting.

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I had to laugh when he was introduced to some talk he was giving as just "Harry".

I'm hardly a royalist, but even I was thinking why should we listen to him when he's not even a prince anymore. He's now just some bloke who has never actually done anything interesting.
    Apart from serve in combat for his country...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,523
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I must admit I am struggling to keep up. Didn't they just move to Canada? What happened? They discovered after two weeks that the winters are tough and everyone plays ice hockey.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I would suggest that 2 tors of Afghanistan and setting up the Invictus games might be considered interesting.
    I suspect Harry will be back in good time, little less hair, no wife, production company that went tits up, sudden love for agriculture and opening things.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Day 8 (me) and Day 11 (wife) with the virus.

It's so up and down. Yesterday we felt good, almost better. Today it feels like Day 2 again.

I have seen some good accounts of people on Twitter with similar symptoms to us and it seems like 21 days is the rough recovery time. That's what we are working towards now.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I do, I'm an American tax payer and I don't want to be contributing to their costs. Although I think in perhaps the first ever instance of my agreeing with something Trump has done, the administration has said the US won't be.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Yes, as eadric said they will end up like the Windsors did in France, wealthy enough in exile in California, (they have a combined net worth of over $40 million) but of little interest to most bar a few celebrity friends and hangers on.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

They felt the Windsor change were blowing.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    I trust you and Boris aren't getting any ideas.
    Not so sure about Boris, but HYUFD...

It's so up and down. Yesterday we felt good, almost better. Today it feels like Day 2 again.

I have seen some good accounts of people on Twitter with similar symptoms to us and it seems like 21 days is the rough recovery time. That's what we are working towards now.

At least it seems you are both recovering. That’s they key thing.
    Cyclefree said:
    Good on Renzi.

I'm glad we are leaving if they cannot act on this.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Oh please, don't be so bloody melodramatic. A couple of mean posts show we live in a hateful and spiteful country (apparently hate and spite do not exist in other countries I suppose). They've had a lot of hateful media attention, but how about we don't extrapolate that out to national characteristic?

It does sound a long haul. I am feeling better, and swabs negative. Back to work shortly.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,233
    Morning all, quick update from Italy.

Generally positive numbers out this morning. Active cases rose 4.1% to 101,739. Essentially the net rate has moved from approximately 6,000 a day in the middle of last week, to around 4,000 now. One would hope that growth in active cases will drop to 2-2,500 by the weekend, and go negative in the middle of next week.

It's worth noting that the positive test percentage - unlike last Monday - stayed low, still coming in at 17%.

Of all the Italian regions, Lobardy was the one with the most good news. New infections were just 1,154 - which is a third of the peak. After a pretty horrible spike in the middle of last week, Lombardy now looks to be on track. I haven't been looking at active cases for Lombardy, but that may well turn negative this week.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Conservative and Leave and older voters all now give them a net negative rating, though they do better with Labour voters, Remainers and under 50s
    Well given the concerted campaign by some sections of the media, much read by certain sections of society, to denigrate Harry whilst beatifying his brother and his wife it’s no wonder, the campaign from both angles is a disgrace.
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Oh please, don't be so bloody melodramatic. A couple of mean posts show we live in a hateful and spiteful country (apparently hate and spite do not exist in other countries I suppose). They've had a lot of hateful media attention, but how about we don't extrapolate that out to national characteristic?
    See @HYUFD s post. Negative opinions about a war veteran. Unfortunately it is a national characteristic.
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Well given the concerted campaign by some sections of the media, much read by certain sections of society, to denigrate Harry whilst beatifying his brother and his wife it’s no wonder, the campaign from both angles is a disgrace.
    Paging @TSE for another Oxford comma incident.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Foxy said:

It does sound a long haul. I am feeling better, and swabs negative. Back to work shortly.
    Congrats. Good luck with work Mr Foxy.

Cyclefree said:
    Good on Renzi.

I'm glad we are leaving if they cannot act on this.
    It's an interesting one: Hungary is a net recipient, and is a pain in the arse. It's not in the Euro either.

I wonder if the EU finally grows a pair.

(I'm not that hopeful.)

BigRich said:

kyf_100 said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Just to correct you.

Our local private school is open and schooling children from the essential services and is remaining open over Easter.

Your dislike of public schools is fortunately not shared by most reasonable voters nor the labour party

I was more thinking about the financial crisis awaiting many private schools post corona. I predict mass closures.

On your last point, yes I am (sadly) aware that I am in a minority across all groups in recognizing that private schools are one of the most potent engines of inequality that we have. But you know what, I think this might be about to change. I'm not just saying that. I really do.

Think about it. When we emerge as a nation from this transformational communal experience, are we going to be happy to see a return to the hegemony of elite fee-paying schools that nurses and supermarket workers and binmen and cleaners and firefighters and police officers - and most of those who have busted a gut to keep the show on the road for however long this lasts - cannot afford to send their kids to?

I sense not. Change is coming and this will be part of it.
    I think you’re making the mistake of assuming they will actually care either way. Most of them will be more interested in ensuring their children have the chance to go to good schools themselves.

Private schools are, as I have noted many times, already struggling. However, it is unlikely all two thousand odd will close. Maybe four or five hundred - but then a lot of their students will go to other private schools making little overall difference to the numbers.

The killer for private schools in the medium term is pensions. But that’s also a killer for government finances as well.
    It strikes me that what the private education sector is crying out for is a cheap and cheerful chain store option.

The way you used to have independent opticians, now you have boots and vision express. Able to exploit economies of scale.

I reckon the main reason why private schools do better is because the sort of parents who are willing to pay extra to fork out for their children's education are the sort who foster the importance of education in their own children's mindset.

So essentially you could take all the privately educated kids, put them in the state system (but only with other kids who would have been privately educated) and they would still have better outcomes.

So in theory you could operate schools on a cheap as chips basis but even being willing to pay a nominal extra fee would ensure grouping among other students with a better chance of higher educational attainment.
    In fact Chris Woodhead was involved in the setup of some barebones (no olympic swimming pools) private schools. Which pretty much proved the point about the academic performance being the cheap bit to provide.

Another idea is to stream by subject - so that the kids who want to learn can, and the ones who want to punch the teachers can get on with that.
    The other attempt is happening in Durham; The "Independent Grammar School" is trying to run a primary education for about £3000 / year. What probably stuffs them is that, even if your local primary is pretty bad, itsi probably not £ 3000 / year worse. Actually, unless your local school really is a hellhole, the best plan is to send your children to the local school. Just make sure that the time they saw not travelling so far doing extra homework. The effect of that is almost certainly bigger than the academic gains caused by the school, rather than by the school's choice of pupils.
    Fees are £2,704 a year.

The school is saving money in many ways including renting out the premises at weekends. and having top teachers teach large class.

https://www.igsdurham.com/why-igs

We are yet to see how successful it is, but at the moment its had no trouble finding parents willing to pay.

It has had a campaign of 'harassment' from the teachers union, who I don't think would of cared if they where not scared that it would be successful.
    According to this article,
    http://schoolsweek.co.uk/no-frills-private-school-founder-eyes-seven-more-north-east-sites/
    £2995 from September, with a hope of 40 pupils, 4 staff and breakeven.
    I won't question that James Tooley has found a gap in the market, but it's not a big one.
    You are correst on the fees, (it was 2704 and but has gone up), its now braking even, which is not bad for a company that is 18 months old.

Also opening 7 new schools this year and planing 40 next year, and possibly 30 franchise versions of the school. So may not be that small a market.

Worth noting that the government spends on average £4,500 to educate the same age children.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

There's ambiguity there, but I don't see that a comma would cure it. "his brother and sister-in-law" would work.
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

See @HYUFD s post. Negative opinions about a war veteran. Unfortunately it is a national characteristic.
    Hitler was a war veteran. Are we meant to have purely positive opinions about him?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,489
    rcs1000 said:

Generally positive numbers out this morning. Active cases rose 4.1% to 101,739. Essentially the net rate has moved from approximately 6,000 a day in the middle of last week, to around 4,000 now. One would hope that growth in active cases will drop to 2-2,500 by the weekend, and go negative in the middle of next week.

It's worth noting that the positive test percentage - unlike last Monday - stayed low, still coming in at 17%.

Of all the Italian regions, Lobardy was the one with the most good news. New infections were just 1,154 - which is a third of the peak. After a pretty horrible spike in the middle of last week, Lombardy now looks to be on track. I haven't been looking at active cases for Lombardy, but that may well turn negative this week.

Very good news Robert.

I was just scrolling down the thread thinking we must be due an update.

We’ve got to hang on in there for now, as awful as it is.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Johnson is doing a good job.

Started slowly but I give him my approval.

RobD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

I must admit I am struggling to keep up. Didn't they just move to Canada? What happened? They discovered after two weeks that the winters are tough and everyone plays ice hockey.
    I wonder what their favourability ratings in Canada are like? ;)
    kinabalu said:
    Is it me, or is the guy on the right struggling to keep a straight face?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385
    https://twitter.com/lindayueh/status/1244700484855828481

Come on BoZo, is Brexit really more important than breathing?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

There's ambiguity there, but I don't see that a comma would cure it. "his brother and sister-in-law" would work.
    Ok point taken, but you know what I meant
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,532
    Someone has edited Wikipedia to list Hungary’s government type as “dictatorship”!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

It really isn't, and that you take a few mean comments as emblematic of a national characteristic of hate and spite is just dumb. I think it very unlikely you'd extapolate other comments here as proof of some national characteristic, and for all the failings that exist toward our service men and women who are let down, an atmosphere of hate and spite toward war veterans is not much in evidence.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985
    edited March 2020
    Foxy is right. I personally think there is a racial angle too, fired up by the red top press.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

rcs1000 said:

Very good news Robert.

I was just scrolling down the thread thinking we must be due an update.

We’ve got to hang on in there for now, as awful as it is.
    +1 - really appreciste rcs's updates

Johnson is doing a good job.

Started slowly but I give him my approval.

I liked it when he was resisting presser to close schools and then to resit the lock down, but very disappointing now.

I hate the way the American pollsters put the (+6) as the gap between options in the poll rather than the change like ours do.

Are Americans so innumerate they can't figure out that 46 is 6 more than 40? Oh ...

Lol.

And yes, that annoys me too!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,397
    edited March 2020
    FF43 said:
    Tariffs are a blunt tool with often negative side effects, but I think after this the likes of America will be going even further to reduce dependence on China for medical supplies.

I think in the way Western countries have been weening themselves off Saudi Oil and Russian gas, we will see the same when it comes to relying on China for supplies of certain essential categories of items.

I can see a much more interventionist strategy to put the thumb on the scales and ensure that they aren't beholden for China if the shit really hits the fans, from medical equipment to base chemicals.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Well, no, but if you say ‘Oxford comma’ it attracts his attention faster.
    FF43 said:
    All tariffs are bad at all time for all contrarys.

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Hitler was a war veteran. Are we meant to have purely positive opinions about him?
    Mega Godwin of the Year Award, secured in March.

Bravo!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,459
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

It really isn't, and that you take a few mean comments as emblematic of a national characteristic of hate and spite is just dumb. I think it very unlikely you'd extapolate other comments here as proof of some national characteristic, and for all the failings that exist toward our service men and women who are let down, an atmosphere of hate and spite toward war veterans is not much in evidence.
    From my relatives who read the glossy magazines - two things put them off Harry and Meghan

1) The fact that she seems to have forced him to ditch his brother. They take that as a very bad sign
    2) The first thing they did after the announcement was a big ticket speech (six figure price tag) at Goldman Sachs.

The apparently caused some unease. The second was a quiet oh, followed by disinterest. No hate, just turned off, as it were.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Foxy is right. I personally think there is a racial angle too, fired up by the red top press.

It’s a sad indictment that so many people read that sort of thing and believe it. People should be able to spot a tabloid vendetta a mile off, yet even the most simple media manipulation seems to go unexamined.

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

No. But I dont think Harry has attempted genocide.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,459
    ukpaul said:

It’s a sad indictment that so many people read that sort of thing and believe it. People should be able to spot a tabloid vendetta a mile off, yet even the most simple media manipulation seems to go unexamined.
    See my comment below - it's more a slump in interest. The combination of him being pushed into dumping his brother and going on the big-ticket-speech-to-banks circuit...
    eadric said:

Maybe, and if so that’s bad, but there’s no getting away from the fact that he looks like he’s done a runner, at a time of national Emergency. His grand mum could die and his dad has already been infected. And he’s sitting out the war in the California sunshine.

Blitz, bombs, East end. Queen mum. Etc
    Coronavirus crisis, or not, Harry had to weigh up whether leaving or being lambasted by Piers Morgan every morning on GMB was preferable.

twitter.com/UKandEU/status/1244662255863640070?s=09

Other than Brazilian Trump...
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,120

Foxy said:

Congrats. Good luck with work Mr Foxy.
    Well done @Foxy.

Hold on though. If it wasn't Covid-19 then surely it must have been an old disease he would have learned about in medical school and should therefore have recognised. Back to the textbooks @Foxy :)

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Bravo!
    Thanks. :) Not entirely non-deliberate.
    TGOHF666 said:
    To a very large extent people where voluntary separating themselves before the lock down, (and would have been better if they where encouraged to do so earlier) its possible that the drop the number dying in the last couple of days was an indication behaveyar changed 2 weeks ago.

This lock-down is seems to me government succoring to presser to be seen to be doing something. and at huge cost to our freedoms and economy.

The flavor I detected from the Facebook posts of my left wing friends was that the economy must be sacrificed, in the same way that turtle doves where in old testament times or humans where in South Amaria

Sweden, the Netherlands or better still South Korea look much better to me.

https://unherd.com/2020/03/all-eyes-on-the-swedish-coronavirus-experiment/

FF43 said:
    Tariffs are a blunt tool with often negative side effects, but I think after this the likes of America will be going even further to reduce dependence on China for medical supplies.

I think in the way Western countries have been weening themselves off Saudi Oil and Russian gas, we will see the same when it comes to relying on China for supplies of certain essential categories of items.

I can see a much more interventionist strategy to put the thumb on the scales and ensure that they aren't beholden for China if the shit really hits the fans, from medical equipment to base chemicals.
    I agree with this, but for a slightly different reason. The interventionist strategy will be to ensure security of supply. The catalyst is the export bans on critical resources put in place after the epidemic started. The global trading system assumes countries wouldn't want to place barriers on their expiry trade. That assumption is suspect right now.

Tariffs are barriers to imports and were in place prior to the epidemic.
    edited March 2020
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I agree with this, but for a slightly different reason. The interventionist strategy will be to ensure security of supply. The catalyst is the export bans on critical resources put in place after the epidemic started. The global trading system assumes countries wouldn't want to place barriers on their expiry trade. That assumption is suspect right now.

Tariffs are barriers to imports and were in place prior to the epidemic.
    Yes, I didn't mean government would introduce tariffs. I meant that they will as you say look to tilt the playing field such that security of supply is much more heavily part of the equation.

I can't see Western governments wanting to be exposed. This time it is ventilators and PPE, one the UK is lucky we can do something about but the other, PPE, a big British firm had their massive factory in China taken over the government there.

Next time it will be something else, but you can't leave yourself exposed. Western government realized they were far too reliant on dodgy regimes for oil, I think we will see this for other industries.

I suspect Harry will be back in good time, little less hair, no wife, production company that went tits up, sudden love for agriculture and opening things.

That may very well be true...
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Apart from serve in combat for his country...
    Yes everyone frequently goes to watch talks given by squaddies that have toured the Middle East.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with him being a prince.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The Vicar General of the Pope, Cardinal De Donatis, is positive. He has been taken to Gemelli hospital this evening. He has fever but his conditions has been judged as good.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,611
    Foxy said:

Does your negative swab mean you’re out of the woods for the disease turning worse into the second serious stage? I hope it does.
    My irrelevant opinion is that Harry and Meghan are the only (ex) royals that I actually like. The others are bunch of stuffed shirts.
    edited March 2020
    I too am largely supportive of Johnson and the Government. Some schoolboy errors early on but since the lockdown came it has been all to the good.

Will I vote for him as a result in 2024, assuming everything goes to plan between now and the end of the crisis? I will be forever in Boris' debt for personally saving (hopefully!) my life, but by 2024 I might be (quite ungratefully) worrying about how we are going to pay for it all.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,185
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Unfortunately a lot of what is considered mean and spiteful (and I note those who say this always speak in the general and struggle to point to specific examples) is fair criticism of Harry and Meghan based on their own behaviour.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,406
    "The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun

Across the country, social distancing is morphing from a public-health to political act. The consequences could be disastrous."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/social-distancing-culture/609019/

Let's hope it all works out for the both of them.
    eadric said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

From my relatives who read the glossy magazines - two things put them off Harry and Meghan

1) The fact that she seems to have forced him to ditch his brother. They take that as a very bad sign
    2) The first thing they did after the announcement was a big ticket speech (six figure price tag) at Goldman Sachs.

The apparently caused some unease. The second was a quiet oh, followed by disinterest. No hate, just turned off, as it were.

Yes. That’s exactly it. There’s no hate (in my circles) just a new and slightly disappointed disinterest. Which is a real shame, because they, as a couple, could have done wonders for both the royals and racial harmony in the UK
    Unfortunately, I think it's the opposite.

I don't think we had a "problem" with racial harmony before Meghan arrived on the scene either - this is something the media consistently talk up but has no basis in reality.
    BigRich said:

TGOHF666 said:
    To a very large extent people where voluntary separating themselves before the lock down, (and would have been better if they where encouraged to do so earlier) its possible that the drop the number dying in the last couple of days was an indication behaveyar changed 2 weeks ago.

This lock-down is seems to me government succoring to presser to be seen to be doing something. and at huge cost to our freedoms and economy.

The flavor I detected from the Facebook posts of my left wing friends was that the economy must be sacrificed, in the same way that turtle doves where in old testament times or humans where in South Amaria

Sweden, the Netherlands or better still South Korea look much better to me.

https://unherd.com/2020/03/all-eyes-on-the-swedish-coronavirus-experiment/
    Really good piece.

We're really lucky that the Swedes are experimenting for us.

And I really, really hope they are correct.
    Foxy said:

The 0825 to Waterloo this morning. My contact had the carriage to himself.

Travelling by train is probably one of the safest things you can do at the moment.

It's like a personal taxi.
    One week in (almost exactly) and my completely unscientific spot poll of friends, family and colleagues is that several are already getting fed up of the lockdown.
  • eadric said:

Maybe, and if so that’s bad, but there’s no getting away from the fact that he looks like he’s done a runner, at a time of national Emergency. His grand mum could die and his dad has already been infected. And he’s sitting out the war in the California sunshine.

Coronavirus crisis, or not, Harry had to weigh up whether leaving or being lambasted by Piers Morgan every morning on GMB was preferable.
    Hasn't he also "done a runner" several months in advance of the outbreak becoming publically noticed?
    Seems strange to believe he has some clairvoyant capabilities.

One week in (almost exactly) and my completely unscientific spot poll of friends, family and colleagues is that several are already getting fed up of the lockdown.

I am enjoying being at home and not panting into a ventilator (if there is one) in an overwhelmed hospital. I actually feel quite lucky. So far.
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1244685413773643781?s=19

If that bedspace is typical, then they have ventilators and oxygen. Impressive.

Does U.K. import oxygen? Can we start to run out?
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

Hasn't he also "done a runner" several months in advance of the outbreak becoming publically noticed?
    Seems strange to believe he has some clairvoyant capabilities.

Absolutely true, but don't let reality get in the way of the press narrative.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Andy_JS said:

"The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun

Across the country, social distancing is morphing from a public-health to political act. The consequences could be disastrous."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/social-distancing-culture/609019/

That’s the US, though, where Trump has politicised the virus. Thankfully, after being wobbling in that direction a few weeks ago, the plan has helped to keep most people together, making it a right (stay at home) vs wrong (carry on as normal) divide.

Trump has screwed America royally by doing that as, Johnson, at the crucial moment, set course away from it.

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Bravo!
    With oak leaves and diamond clusters, surely? :p
This discussion has been closed.