Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michigan Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, the woman who’s got under

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Fenster said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Jeez - Crude at $20 a barrel and we're not allowed to drive!

There's only one solution.

If you have the spare cash, buy a filling station, and keep it all for yourself.

'Cos oil is never going to be this cheap again.
    Who was that Tory MP who advised storing petrol in your wooden shed? Brilliant idea that.
    That's why I suggested buying the whole filling station.

Of course if you have space you could install a tank in your back garden, but the regulations are a bastard.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

eadric said:

ABZ said:

Suggests there have been 180 Covid-19 related deaths in the UK up to 5pm last night: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-another-159-people-die-after-testing-positive-in-england-11965742

The 2nd decrease in 2 consecutive days.

If this is a trend it is fantastic news.
    if it is than it would suggest that the scoshale distancing, and other protections that people where doing spontaneously before the 'lock down' became policy. had the desired result, and therefor the knockdown may not have been needed.

sadly, However it may just be that people with 'flu lick systems' can now stay home form work and don't feel the need to go to hospital, and are therefor not being tested?
    But won't this go up tomorrow as they are starting to measure Covid19 deaths in the community as well ?

Don't get me wrong it is great this is reducing especially as it is on a consistent measure.
    err, yes it would, tomorows numbers may be bad for that reason,

I was trying to emphasis my first point, that given the 20 ish day lag between diagnosis and death, that we should not all start to shown 'the lock down has worked' while keeping an open mind at this as to the real situation.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

Suggests there have been 180 Covid-19 related deaths in the UK up to 5pm last night: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-another-159-people-die-after-testing-positive-in-england-11965742

The much mocked 260 peak could have arrived early!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    On facebook right now there are pictures of nurses in Southend wearing bin bags on their heads to cover their hair - they do appear to have aprons though
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    isam said:

eadric said:

ABZ said:

I think that is highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Jeez - Crude at $20 a barrel and we're not allowed to drive!

There's only one solution.

If you have the spare cash, buy a filling station, and keep it all for yourself.

'Cos oil is never going to be this cheap again.
    Who was that Tory MP who advised storing petrol in your wooden shed? Brilliant idea that.
    Francis Maude.
  • Options
    Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko says he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus with the Formula 1 season yet to get going.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

As posted down thread, but from Guardian...

The number of people who have died in England after contracting coronavirus now stands at 1,284 – a rise of 159 from yesterday – NHS England has said.

The patients were aged between 32 and 98 years old and all but four, aged between 56 and 87 years old, had underlying health conditions, according to the PA news agency.

I think that is ~180 deaths UK wide.

It is noticeable that every day now we do get some really young people passing away. Most have underlying health conditions, but still.

Does anyone know if "underlying health conditions" includes things like a BMI > 30, or smoking, or is it only something with a formal diagnosis?
    Good question.

As far as I know I have no underlying health conditions, but my BMI is over 30. If asked I'd say I have no underlying conditions but if that is one in itself that would be good to know.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    kle4 said:
    If true, surely Hungary will be expelled from the EU?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

IanB2 said:

The number of people who have died in England after contracting coronavirus now stands at 1,284 – a rise of 159 from yesterday – NHS England has said.

The patients were aged between 32 and 98 years old and all but four, aged between 56 and 87 years old, had underlying health conditions, according to the PA news agency.

It is noticeable that every day now we do get some really young people passing away. Most have underlying health conditions, but still.

Basically, it you are overweight, now is the ideal time for a crash diet. With the spinoff benefit of leaving more food for everyone else.
    Does a crash diet provide health bonuses that quickly? Won't it be too late to really impact this time but still be worth doing?

I'm trying to get into shape anyway and have found quarantine has helped this. It's easier to find motivation to cook properly when you have the time and no pressure to get a takeaway due to lack of time. I've lost a stone this month but if I contract the virus then not sure what difference if any that will make.
    I defer to Foxy on the medical expertise, but would have thought that the less dead weight you are carrying at time of infection, the less work your lungs will have to do to see you through?
  • Options

Does anyone know if "underlying health conditions" includes things like a BMI > 30, or smoking, or is it only something with a formal diagnosis?
    I think it meant pretty serious conditions, like having leukaemia, being a bad diabetic, having chemo
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    isam said:

eadric said:

ABZ said:

I would hold fire until the DoH announce todays figures officially.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Scott_xP said:
    Of which ~7% will need ICU (~630) if we are similar to other countries.
  • Options

kle4 said:
    Poland will veto that surely?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

kle4 said:
    For measures taken in a genuine emergency which have not yet been abused? Seems improbable even if the measures look dreadful.
  • Options
    Piers Morgan vs Peter Hitchens now on Twitter

https://twitter.com/clarkemicah/status/1244629695129403392?s=21
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

kle4 said:
    Poland will veto that surely?
    If the EU doesn't act, then I am glad we have left. And I speak as a Remainer.
  • Options

66% of Italy ‘at the same stage’

Three cheers for the government?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

IanB2 said:

Basically, it you are overweight, now is the ideal time for a crash diet. With the spinoff benefit of leaving more food for everyone else.
    Does a crash diet provide health bonuses that quickly? Won't it be too late to really impact this time but still be worth doing?

I'm trying to get into shape anyway and have found quarantine has helped this. It's easier to find motivation to cook properly when you have the time and no pressure to get a takeaway due to lack of time. I've lost a stone this month but if I contract the virus then not sure what difference if any that will make.
    Yes, it does. Prof Roy Taylor has done a lot of interesting work on how crash dieting improves insulin responsee. Insulin is quite a driver of chronic inflammation and blood pressure as well. Improved parameters in 7 days in his study.

https://youtu.be/ZscdtrP4xZk
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Latest Imperial model puts UK infection level at 2.7% or 1.8 million.

Rentool method puts it at between 1.1 million and 2.2 million.

Just hand me the Nobel now, eh?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    One question. We know that diabetes and high BP are not good if you catch this virus. However, what are the survival odds for this group - presumably not all end up in ICU and then die. Asking for a friend. :smiley:
  • Options
    With Itexit looking more likely by the day and Hungary, the EU is in an awful mess.
  • Options
    isam said:

as David Starkey said "we can be sure this isn't the bubonic plague"

But then he doesn't have a tv show that craves viewers.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    isam said:

Not sure what you are looking at, it seems to me we have slightly extended the 14 days referred to to 15 (and a little bit) - waiting on UK-wide figures to confirm.
  • Options

With Itexit looking more likely by the day and Hungary, the EU is in an awful mess.

Neither are going anywhere, I'd put good money on that.
  • Options

They are in the footnote here:

• Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Nice to see Mr Neill trying to maintain some professional standards and some level of individual decency by having a deeper look into matters, reconsidering his views and correcting himself.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1244235433694973952?s=20

Good for him.
    Is there still not some uncertainty over the percentage of mild/asymptomatic cases Germany's more widespread testing might have identified, though ?
    The genuine source of the difference would be extremely interesting to know, from a public health policy point of view. I look forward to the result of the inevitable scientific enquiry into this.

One question I have - what tests is Germany using: All the lengthy, lab tests, or are they using the quick tests in combination (see South Korea)?
    So far as I know lab tests. Quick tests might be available somewhere in Germany, though I've not heard of it.

There's lots of countries following exactly the same trajectory as Germany: lots of confirmed cases with at first very few deaths, followed by deaths slowly catching up. Which is exactly what you would expect if the testing is doing a reasonable job of tracking the epidemic, given that it takes an average of 20 days to die.

The USA has done the opposite - a high initial death rate because no testing but now lower because a lot of testing. Maybe soon Germany and US will have same death rate.

The way I see it, any country without this pattern of very low early death rate has probably failed to catch many of the early infections with testing, which probably does have public health policy implications.
    So where are they getting the enormous volumes (relatively) of reagents and lab time required?
    Lots of labs
    I suspect that I will get a lot of hate on here for saying this.

But Germany has essentially a privet healthcare system. (with a lot of regulation and the government paying for insurance for the poor) but I suspect that as a result they were therefor more dynamic with the ability to rapidly expand testing.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

It didn't take the police long to find mission creep in the powers they've been given, did it?

Now, anyone care to guess when these powers will be repealed? We can do this by month, year or decade - your call.

It’s not just mission creep. It’s worse than that. They’re acting illegally - even under the very wide powers they’ve been given.

That is wrong, virus or no virus.

Warrington police’s Twitter seems like an audition to be a BBC comedian

https://twitter.com/policewarr/status/1243941892817117185?s=21
    What are “incident people”?

And can we have a rule forbidding policemen and other public officials to go outside or say or do anything until they have learnt how to write English?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Nice to see Mr Neill trying to maintain some professional standards and some level of individual decency by having a deeper look into matters, reconsidering his views and correcting himself.

Good for him.
    Is there still not some uncertainty over the percentage of mild/asymptomatic cases Germany's more widespread testing might have identified, though ?
    The genuine source of the difference would be extremely interesting to know, from a public health policy point of view. I look forward to the result of the inevitable scientific enquiry into this.

One question I have - what tests is Germany using: All the lengthy, lab tests, or are they using the quick tests in combination (see South Korea)?
    So far as I know lab tests. Quick tests might be available somewhere in Germany, though I've not heard of it.

There's lots of countries following exactly the same trajectory as Germany: lots of confirmed cases with at first very few deaths, followed by deaths slowly catching up. Which is exactly what you would expect if the testing is doing a reasonable job of tracking the epidemic, given that it takes an average of 20 days to die.

The USA has done the opposite - a high initial death rate because no testing but now lower because a lot of testing. Maybe soon Germany and US will have same death rate.

The way I see it, any country without this pattern of very low early death rate has probably failed to catch many of the early infections with testing, which probably does have public health policy implications.
    So where are they getting the enormous volumes (relatively) of reagents and lab time required?
    Lots of labs

But Germany has essentially a privet healthcare system. (with a lot of regulation and the government paying for insurance for the poor) but I suspect that as a result they were therefor more dynamic with the ability to rapidly expand testing.
    Yes, but that is similar in most European countries like Spain and Italy too. Also of course the USA, which was very slow to test.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:
    For measures taken in a genuine emergency which have not yet been abused? Seems improbable even if the measures look dreadful.
    Given there is no legal provision in the treaties to 'expel' a member state, this could only ever be a political process, and that is indeed improbable.
    Furthermore, it may not be the wisest thing to expel Orban, anyway.
    Only half of Hungary is standing behind him, the other half has different views and needs friends outside of the country.
    The rest of the EU can not exert a lot of pressure initially but may have more influence on the development in the long term with Hungary in the EU, rather than on its doorstep.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

It didn't take the police long to find mission creep in the powers they've been given, did it?

Now, anyone care to guess when these powers will be repealed? We can do this by month, year or decade - your call.

It’s not just mission creep. It’s worse than that. They’re acting illegally - even under the very wide powers they’ve been given.

And can we have a rule forbidding policemen and other public officials to go outside or say or do anything until they have learnt how to write English?
    Spellcheck for innocent, I assume!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, it does. Prof Roy Taylor has done a lot of interesting work on how crash dieting improves insulin responsee. Insulin is quite a driver of chronic inflammation and blood pressure as well. Improved parameters in 7 days in his study.

https://youtu.be/ZscdtrP4xZk
    Good to know thanks.

Across March my BMI has fallen by 2 points. Every little helps, might be in shape if this lasts much longer - not eating takeaways makes a massive difference.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sounds like a s*** stirring more of it.
  • Options

isam said:

Not sure what you are looking at, it seems to me we have slightly extended the 14 days referred to to 15 (and a little bit) - waiting on UK-wide figures to confirm.
    UK's in 1415 today - versus 1809.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Yourself and @AlastairMeeks may appreciate this... others less so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHE3OerDKEY
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Neither are going anywhere, I'd put good money on that.
    Correct - Hungary gets a free pass during the crisis and Italy has transferred patients to Germany today. The solidarity argument for now is winning out.
  • Options

isam said:

I’m looking at where Italy was on 16th March and comparing it to where we are today. Boris’ critics were eager to make this comparison had things turned out differently
  • Options

kle4 said:
    The idea the EU will willingly expel a member for something so minor as criminal behaviour is up there with the idea that Jeremy Corbyn was fit to be Leader of the Opposition.

The French have been cheerfully breaking every rule in sight for years as it suited them and never had to so much as pay a fine.

But ultimately, the EU will probably believe this shows nation states cannot be trusted to follow rules (or at least, be discreet about breaking them) and the solution to this is to remove criminal justice powers and states of emergency from nation states to the EU Parliament. Orban should be careful what he wishes for.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Sloppy writing and even sloppier thinking.

The virus is not “targeting” anyone. Innocence is irrelevant.

The behaviour of the police has been abysmal. If we have to have restrictions for up to 6 months the way the police and local officials are behaving is going to make it impossible for these to work. People are - rightly - not going to take seriously instructions or advice from people who do not behave lawfully themselves and/or who make fools of themselves over Easter eggs.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

Yes, but that is similar in most European countries like Spain and Italy too. Also of course the USA, which was very slow to test.
    Not Spain - their NHS is similar to the UK. Though eyes and teeth are mostly private. It has a thriving private system mainly because it is quite cheap as salaries of doctors are quite a bit lower over here. Don;t know about Italy.
  • Options

isam said:

Vs 2158 I think
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

The behaviour of the police has been abysmal. If we have to have restrictions for up to 6 months the way the police and local officials are behaving is going to make it impossible for these to work. People are - rightly - not going to take seriously instructions or advice from people who do not behave lawfully themselves and/or who make fools of themselves over Easter eggs.
    Well they have to do something to fill the time

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/05/police-forces-record-thousands-hate-incidents-year-even-though/

"More than 87,000 ‘non-crime hate incidents’ have been recorded by 27 forces in England and Wales over the past five years, when the national policing body introduced its Hate Crime Operational Guidelines.

The guidelines state that an incident - perceived to be motivated by hostility towards religion, race or transgender identity - must be recorded “irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element” and can even show up on an individual’s DBS check, despite them not committing a crime. "
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

isam said:

as David Starkey said "we can be sure this isn't the bubonic plague"

But then he doesn't have a tv show that craves viewers.

I very much hope that libertarian Boris will not allow this to slide towards a state where a certificate has to be be produced showing antibody test in order to be allowed out of the isolation rules.

I can see it heading that way unfortunately.

This could leave those who have isolated for weeks into a permanent imprisonment in their own homes.

And we have the technology to enforce it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:
    The idea the EU will willingly expel a member for something so minor as criminal behaviour is up there with the idea that Jeremy Corbyn was fit to be Leader of the Opposition.

The French have been cheerfully breaking every rule in sight for years as it suited them and never had to so much as pay a fine.

But ultimately, the EU will probably believe this shows nation states cannot be trusted to follow rules (or at least, be discreet about breaking them) and the solution to this is to remove criminal justice powers and states of emergency from nation states to the EU Parliament. Orban should be careful what he wishes for.
    I suspect that if the powers are not rescinded in the recovery phase then the punishment would be financial.
  • Options

Using the same method, how many people in Italy have it? presumably well over 5%

if so Italy may get to herd immunity long before we where expecting.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    BigRich said:

Using the same method, how many people in Italy have it? presumably well over 5%

I think the Imperial modelling say mean of their estimates for Italy is ~10%.

Edit :- 9.8% [3.2%-26%]

But as you can see, massive variations in their estimates in the 95% credible interval.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not agreeing with it, but innocent makes sense in the parallel they are drawing.

It seems to be the Police communications teams being idiots. Has anyone actually been arrested for buying Easter eggs?
  • Options

BigRich said:

I think the Imperial modelling say 10%.
    Classic Domingo.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Vs 2158 I think
    I think that depends on how you count the 8 hour day that we had about a week ago.

• Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Lord Sumption is right. We are still a nation governed by laws. The police are there to enforce the law not do what the hell they feel like. And the law does not forbid either the selling or buying of Easter eggs. Nor does it stop many of the other things the police are trying to stop.

If they don’t stop it, someone is going to challenge them legally, the courts will rule against them and the police will look like berks - again.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Vs 2158 I think
    Today's figures are for yesterday's date. So 1809.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Point of order: the French have cheerfully some paid fines for years.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I think the great majority of Police are doing a very difficult job well in the most appalling circumstances. Just as most of the public are being responsible. You are allowing a few examples of 'gotcha' press hacks to overreact.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Mr. Borough, Italexit?

Quitaly, surely?

I think Quitaly sounds much better, personally.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not agreeing with it, but innocent makes sense in the parallel they are drawing.

It seems to be the Police communications teams being idiots. Has anyone actually been arrested for buying Easter eggs?
    Give it a go. We promise to rally round to make you a civil liberty icon :)

Brutal cops arrest NHS hero.

But felix makes a good point about the majority, we shouldn't go too far. Though with police powers you've got to be wary and nip it in the bud quickly.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
    15% [3.7%-41%]

I am a bit concerned just how wide the upper / lower bound spread is on their model estimates are.

I mean those numbers are the difference between bloody hell if it is only the low single digits who have it, then 50-60-70% of the population do get it, this is going to wipe out masses of people....through to well they aren't far off herd immunity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Point of order: the French have cheerfully some paid fines for years.
    Really? Do you have examples?

All the ones I could think of were ones where they were ordered to pay, and then ignored the order.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Lord Sumption is right. We are still a nation governed by laws. The police are there to enforce the law not do what the hell they feel like. And the law does not forbid either the selling or buying of Easter eggs. Nor does it stop many of the other things the police are trying to stop.

If they don’t stop it, someone is going to challenge them legally, the courts will rule against them and the police will look like berks - again.
    The 'Police and crime commiseration' elections have been delayed till next year, right?

I am now wondering about standing as a libertarian in those elections!
  • Options
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I think the great majority of Police are doing a very difficult job well in the most appalling circumstances. Just as most of the public are being responsible. You are allowing a few examples of 'gotcha' press hacks to overreact.
    Well said. Don't let a couple of idiots (Police or otherwise) be interpreted as everyone acting that way.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/05/police-forces-record-thousands-hate-incidents-year-even-though/

"More than 87,000 ‘non-crime hate incidents’ have been recorded by 27 forces in England and Wales over the past five years, when the national policing body introduced its Hate Crime Operational Guidelines.

The guidelines state that an incident - perceived to be motivated by hostility towards religion, race or transgender identity - must be recorded “irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element” and can even show up on an individual’s DBS check, despite them not committing a crime. "
    As I have said on various thread headers - most recently here - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/01/17/a-toxic-culture/ - the police are simply not fit for purpose.
  • Options

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
    What about Sweden?

have you got a link?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

The 'Police and crime commiseration' elections have been delayed till next year, right?

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner for typo of the year...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko says he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus with the Formula 1 season yet to get going.

To be fair he's had it himself and it wasn't too bad. At least he thinks he's had it. He thought it was a cold at the time.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Big deposit needed I think but go for it.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
    What about Sweden?

have you got a link?
    3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf
  • Options

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
    15% [3.7%-41%]

I am a bit concerned just how wide the upper / lower bound spread is on their model estimates are.

I mean those numbers are the difference between bloody hell if it is only the low single digits who have it, then 50-60-70% of the population do get it, this is going to wipe out masses of people....through to well they aren't far off herd immunity.
    As I said yesterday, Imperial are the Oxford of London.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF666 said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

As I have said on various thread headers - most recently here - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/01/17/a-toxic-culture/ - the police are simply not fit for purpose.
    Is it the Police's fault? Isn't the "non-crime hate incident" bullshit set upon the Police by the Politicians and Courts not the Police.

The idea that comes up in a DBS check is utterly appalling. The law should be changed, but I don't expect the Police to change the law.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

Hedging their bets? No use beating around the bush.
  • Options

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Well said. Don't let a couple of idiots (Police or otherwise) be interpreted as everyone acting that way.
    Indeed - ironic that the person on here most critical of the 'jobsworth' mentality among public officials needs a long look in the mirror.
  • Options
    Chris said:

To be fair he's had it himself and it wasn't too bad. At least he thinks he's had it. He thought it was a cold at the time.
    My swabs came back negative today. False negative or just another virus? Time will tell, I suppose. Back to work later this week.

Not sure if this is a good or bad result.
  • Options

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

I don't understand?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
    15% [3.7%-41%]

As I said yesterday, Imperial are the Oxford of London.
    And to think I nearly considered accepting an offer to do my PhD there, on the basis they offered me more money....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Nigelb said:

Frisee would be the absolute endive.
    You'd have to be even more green to attempt rocket.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    rcs1000 said:

Mr. Borough, Italexit?

Quitaly, surely?

I think Quitaly sounds much better, personally.
    Quality post!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF666 said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

FFS - really! This is your priority? Now?
  • Options

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

They say 15% in Spain
    What about Sweden?

have you got a link?
    3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    felix said:

Foxy said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

Not Spain - their NHS is similar to the UK. Though eyes and teeth are mostly private. It has a thriving private system mainly because it is quite cheap as salaries of doctors are quite a bit lower over here. Don;t know about Italy.
    Germany does not have a private health system.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

I don't understand?
    Yew will get it if you read the first post carefully.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

IanB2 said:

I think you're correct. Focus on eating good, nourishing food. A good weight is a by product of being healthy, not the other way around.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

I don't understand?
    'Privet' healthcare.
    Keeping a fence around the infected.
  • Options
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Come off it. It is not a “difficult job” to know what the law is. It took me about 5 minutes to find the relevant regulations on restrictions on movements. It is not a “difficult job” to know that the law and government advice are two different things and that the police’s job is not to enforce government advice. It is not a “difficult job” to realise that if you abuse your power or behave without any common-sense you risk undermining what we are all trying to do.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF666 said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

As has been noted often all life doesnt stop even in an emergency nor does it mean nothing else matters. The government and police are rightly being given plenty of leeway right now, but not Orban level carte blanche, and existing issues can be mostly sidelined but need not be forgotten about.

Even now, yes. Particularly if some of the problems are leading to issues now, small or not.

Like many I'm in a place where usual procedures must be set aside and priorities rearranged or even discarded for a time. It doesnt mean concerns no longer exist or that things cannot be done in a proper way now. It's one reason parliament rightly pushed back on sunset clause wording.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

I don't understand?
    'Privet' healthcare.
    LOL Sorry Dyslexia stryks again!
  • Options
    Question for PB lawyers:

I am rewriting my will (never a better time...)
    Is it better to leave it all to Mrs Foxy, or to Fox jr, with Mrs Foxy getting control until her demise, from the point of view of inheritance tax?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Come off it. It is not a “difficult job” to know what the law is. It took me about 5 minutes to find the relevant regulations on restrictions on movements. It is not a “difficult job” to know that the law and government advice are two different things and that the police’s job is not to enforce government advice. It is not a “difficult job” to realise that if you abuse your power or behave without any common-sense you risk undermining what we are all trying to do.
    Government advice can sometimes be just plain wrong about what the law is, even when it makes sense.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

IanB2 said:

I think you're correct. Focus on eating good, nourishing food. A good weight is a by product of being healthy, not the other way around.
    Crash weight loss in general doesn't work - adjust your lifestyle for less calories and increase your exercise. That keeps the pounds off.

Remember that your body will often try to avoid you losing weight at the start - increase exercise, good diet and watch what happens over a period of time.
  • Options
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF666 said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

My priority is not catching this virus. Which is why I have been self-isolated for over 10 days now and not been out of the house.

You?

I am also quite capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time. I do not think that a dangerous virus is a good reason for allowing the police - or anyone else - to ignore the law, especially when they have been given all the powers they need. I think this not because of some abstract theory but because if the regulations brought in to protect us all - and especially people like me - are abused and brought into disrepute then that increases the risks for all of us.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd love to see you try it for even a day.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

kle4 said:

kle4 said:
    Given there is no legal provision in the treaties to 'expel' a member state, this could only ever be a political process, and that is indeed improbable.
    Furthermore, it may not be the wisest thing to expel Orban, anyway.
    Only half of Hungary is standing behind him, the other half has different views and needs friends outside of the country.
    The rest of the EU can not exert a lot of pressure initially but may have more influence on the development in the long term with Hungary in the EU, rather than on its doorstep.
    Orban gets away with being a tinpot dictator because Hungarian elites - business people etc allow him to be. Treating Hungary and in particular those elites as pariahs can be effective. But I'm not seeing that level of resolve amongst their European counterparts.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Nigelb said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

I don't understand?
    'Privet' healthcare.
    Only hedge fund could think of that
  • Options
    Atención: El coronavirus no acabará antes de verano. La previsión del Gobierno
    La ministra de Defensa, Margarita Robles, reconoce fallos del Gobierno en la gestión de la crisis

Realism from the Spanish government. Although none of us want to hear it. I suspect it won't just apply here either.
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

Foxy said:

BigRich said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

Lots of labs

Germany does not have a private health system.
    Germany has a healthcare system, where private operates provide the output and providers compeat for bissiness,

As always few systems are fully one or the other, and there is a lot of veriation, making it possible to argue lots of things.

but I think the forling is correct.

1) Germany uses market fores more than the UK.
    2) Germany spends more on there heath cares system. (about 1.5% more iirc)

both of these will have an effect of the level of outcome. I think that 1) is the most significant, but accept others in good faith will disagree.
  • Options
    Simon Stephen's says 9000 vivid 19 patients currently in hospital
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Question for PB lawyers:

I am rewriting my will (never a better time...)
    Is it better to leave it all to Mrs Foxy, or to Fox jr, with Mrs Foxy getting control until her demise, from the point of view of inheritance tax?

No lawyer, but handing your house to junior whilst Mrs F continues to live in it opens up questions of paying rent for the use. Can't remember the posh legal word for this, but it is an issue with IHT.
  • Options

Simon Stephen's says 9000 covid 19 patients currently in hospital

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Simon Stephen's says 9000 vivid 19 patients currently in hospital

Vivid might be your viewing habits John :-) - warning if you google NSFW
This discussion has been closed.