Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michigan Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, the woman who’s got under

Comments

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Nice to see Mr Neill trying to maintain some professional standards and some level of individual decency by having a deeper look into matters, reconsidering his views and correcting himself.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1244235433694973952?s=20

He appears to be guilty of doing actual journalism in the first degree. Off with his head!
    Investigated "further" implies he did some investigation in the first place, which he obviously didn't. Better to say "After initially failing to do the most basic fact checking or even applying common sense..." But apart from that, good that people are still able to say they got it wrong.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Nigelb said:
    Pet peeve, can't these egg-heads learn to use latex.
    Does anyone still use LaTeX?
    Alive and well in political science, though I don't know how many use it directly as opposed to exporting into it e.g. via pandoc from R
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, if you want to get a paper published in many areas of scientific literature. For lots of conferences, the submission process comes with a predefined LaTeX template that you must adhere to.

Although it can be a pain, it is far superior to anything else when it comes to handling detailed equations.
    Though exporting it to PDF is a general practise for the web etc.
    Yes of course, but the underlying report is still created using the LaTex system.

I honestly have no idea how people write papers or journals that contain a large amount of maths without it. All those "equation editors" in the likes of Word are just utter shit. The pineapple pizza / Radiohead at Glastonbury of tools.
    I dunno; I have to include equations in reports at work fairly frequently and I've gotten quite good at manipulating the Word editor to do what I want it to.

Having also watched my wife struggle with LaTeX for her PhD I wouldn't want it any different. Seems to be a horrible package.
    There are now things like Overleaf, that are a cloud computing offering, that make life much easier. No installing all weird packages etc and you can see the output nearly instantaneously*

It is just like a word processer, but takes the latex symbols.

*There are actually other software options that do live updating as well, but Overleaf seems to have cornered the market.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive. But to be a Remainer was very heaven!
    Several former Spads will be pleased. Karma again!
    Leaving aside for a moment the issue of taking joy at another's misfortune - it happens, it's not pleasant, but it'd take a bigger person than I to admit to never having done so - I'm not quite seeing how someone allegedly being a bit of a shit is subject to karma if they suffer some unrelated medical issue. I guess karma could include any general poor fortune, but to be proportionate and appropriate karma for someone in that situation would be being fired in disgrace, not just having a personal health issue - they might not regard that suffering as a karmic at all, anymore than a horrible dictator getting ill at the end of a thirty year reign of terror would be getting karma.
    It has been suggested that it was Cummings idea to try the mathematically inappropriate idea of creating 'herd immunity' by letting people get Covid-19. Even though that was abandoned when someone worked out what that would mean, it is generous of Dom and Boris to volunteer to help in a small way to increase Britain's herd immunity.
    The suggestion is rubbish. Everything after that in your posting is meaningless.
    https://twitter.com/cooperphil156/status/1244558876625821696/photo/1
    Long ago shown to be garbage based on the actual minutes of the meetings. So as I say your posting is pointless and wrong.
    I didn't realise "private engagements" were minuted Richard? Anyone who has the measure of this revolting individual knows that he most likely would say such a thing. Cameron referred to him as a "career psychopath". People don't get those sort of reputations without good reason. It is a bad thing to wish him dead though. With that I can agree with you. I hope he recovers quickly, but slowly enough to reflect on his comments and does not use resource that might be used on those that are more worthy of compassion.
    The newspaper story was shown to be wrong by the minutes of the government scientific advisory committee - Cummings didn't invent policy, or implement it. So either the minutes - which name specific people saying specific things are wrong, or the anon sources of the newspaper reporter are wrong.
    I don’t feel qualified to comment on the specifics. But I have been at enough meetings, from senior down to local, to know that the official minutes often reflect rather more of what should have happened than of what actually transpired. Holding up the official minutes of a meeting as proof of the detail is a high risk strategy IMO.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Nigelb said:

Even a scarf or tea towel has some efficacy.

It would be ironic if we started seeing mandatory face covering in Europe.
    The IRA are looking pretty smug right now
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, if you want to get a paper published in many areas of scientific literature. For lots of conferences, the submission process comes with a predefined LaTeX template that you must adhere to.

Although it can be a pain, it is far superior to anything else when it comes to handling detailed equations.
    Yes of course, but the underlying report is still created using the LaTex system.

I honestly have no idea how people write papers or journals that contain a large amount of maths without it. All those "equation editors" in the likes of Word are just utter shit. The pineapple pizza / Radiohead at Glastonbury of tools.
    I dunno; I have to include equations in reports at work fairly frequently and I've gotten quite good at manipulating the Word editor to do what I want it to.

Having also watched my wife struggle with LaTeX for her PhD I wouldn't want it any different. Seems to be a horrible package.
    LaTeX isn't a package - it is a specification/language

There are a zillion editors for it. Most of them are shit.

The Word equation editor is OK for simple stuff - but it fails horribly when you get to real maths. And has a fun feature that sometimes it corrupts your whole Word document.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    About those tea towels, this looks like a minor upgrade...

https://twitter.com/Kuehbacher/status/1244607248480927744
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

It didn't take the police long to find mission creep in the powers they've been given, did it?

Now, anyone care to guess when these powers will be repealed? We can do this by month, year or decade - your call.

It’s not just mission creep. It’s worse than that. They’re acting illegally - even under the very wide powers they’ve been given.

That is wrong, virus or no virus.

Warrington police’s Twitter seems like an audition to be a BBC comedian

https://twitter.com/policewarr/status/1243941892817117185?s=21
    The Police, unable to bring themselves to say the word "innocent".....
    Why are the police overstating their remit and telling people (in a smug manner) to remain indoors when you can go out for exercise?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

There are some absurd stories doing the rounds about retail. A Daily Mail "expose" on people up here shopping at The Range and B&M has created a storm on local Facebook groups "Betraying the NHS" etc. Similar madness with the police/councils advising retailers not to sell food - huh?

It should be simple. Stay home if you can. If you have to shop you can only go to retailers allowed to stay open by the government including The Range and your corner shop. Whilst there social distance to stay safe. Second-guessing things will just make it worse - and this is only week 2. Many many more weeks of this to drive people absolutely mad.

What the absolute fuck are you doing reading the Daily Mail? Especially now.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nice to see Mr Neill trying to maintain some professional standards and some level of individual decency by having a deeper look into matters, reconsidering his views and correcting himself.

He appears to be guilty of doing actual journalism in the first degree. Off with his head!
    Investigated "further" implies he did some investigation in the first place, which he obviously didn't. Better to say "After initially failing to do the most basic fact checking or even applying common sense..." But apart from that, good that people are still able to say they got it wrong.
    I presume he found that *all* countries are recording deaths differently, and infections and jumped to the conclusion that was the answer. 4/10 on that one
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Nigelb said:
    Alive and well in political science, though I don't know how many use it directly as opposed to exporting into it e.g. via pandoc from R
    R....R.....I believe mentioning such a thing gets the ban hammer here!!!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good for him.
    Is there still not some uncertainty over the percentage of mild/asymptomatic cases Germany's more widespread testing might have identified, though ?
    Yes, I think so. I haven' seen any aggregate compilation of numbers. The verbal statements I recall from press conferences etc. were ranging roughly from 25% to 35% for both cohorts.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    eadric said:

That said, with a recent surge in deaths, Germany now looks much less of an outlier. It is recording 541 corona-dead, up over a hundred in a day.

Exactly the same as South Korea - it had 0.5% early on because it was testing more widely, thus picking up both more mild cases, and also picking up infections earlier. Over time it's crept up, and is now 1.6%.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

There are some absurd stories doing the rounds about retail. A Daily Mail "expose" on people up here shopping at The Range and B&M has created a storm on local Facebook groups "Betraying the NHS" etc. Similar madness with the police/councils advising retailers not to sell food - huh?

It should be simple. Stay home if you can. If you have to shop you can only go to retailers allowed to stay open by the government including The Range and your corner shop. Whilst there social distance to stay safe. Second-guessing things will just make it worse - and this is only week 2. Many many more weeks of this to drive people absolutely mad.

Der Sturmer - don't wipe your arse with that. It might be infectious.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Nigelb said:
    Hello.
  • Options

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

It didn't take the police long to find mission creep in the powers they've been given, did it?

Now, anyone care to guess when these powers will be repealed? We can do this by month, year or decade - your call.

It’s not just mission creep. It’s worse than that. They’re acting illegally - even under the very wide powers they’ve been given.

Why are the police overstating their remit and telling people (in a smug manner) to remain indoors when you can go out for exercise?
    Because the current circumstance - where everyone is confined indoors and unable to come out other than in specific circumstances defined in law - is every policeman’s (woman’s) long standing dream?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Good for him.
    Is there still not some uncertainty over the percentage of mild/asymptomatic cases Germany's more widespread testing might have identified, though ?
    Yes, I think so. I haven' seen any aggregate compilation of numbers. The verbal statements I recall from press conferences etc. were ranging roughly from 25% to 35% for both cohorts.
    And, of course, you have a much greater provision of intensive care, and sheer number of nurses.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Dura_Ace said:

Nobody has Dom in the Dead Pool. So if anybody fancies loitering in the penalty box waiting for C19 to whip in a Becks style cross..

Dom is fine.

He's just sat at home, trawling the internet for the names of those wishing him ill...

"I've got a little list...."

You really don't want to be on it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

The Word equation editor is OK for simple stuff - but it fails horribly when you get to real maths. And has a fun feature that sometimes it corrupts your whole Word document.
    Thank you for the clarification!

Out of interest, are any of the editors not shit? No one I know has a good word to say about it, which includes multiple PhDs at different universities across a range of disciplines, including a few in computer science.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,116
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

How can you tell?
  • Options
    What the bloody hell has he been doing all this time? :o
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Well, you give him a hug first.....
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Nobody has Dom in the Dead Pool. So if anybody fancies loitering in the penalty box waiting for C19 to whip in a Becks style cross..

Dom is fine.

He's just sat at home, trawling the internet for the names of those wishing him ill...

"I've got a little list...."

You really don't want to be on it.
    Evil me wonders if when he left Downing Street the other day, he was tempted to wander over to certain reporters to give them and in-depth interview. At close range. Rather than exiting stage left as fast as possible,
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,572
    Andrew said:

eadric said:

That said, with a recent surge in deaths, Germany now looks much less of an outlier. It is recording 541 corona-dead, up over a hundred in a day.

Exactly the same as South Korea - it had 0.5% early on because it was testing more widely, thus picking up both more mild cases, and also picking up infections earlier. Over time it's crept up, and is now 1.6%.
    Problem here is that some people (!) overreacted to data with known large error margins.

Hope they don't get coronaries.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

I used to use TexnicCenter, but they stopped developing it (but it still works fine). Atom.io is really nice general purpose editor, and has a load of plugins for working and compiling output with LaTeX.

But as I said down thread is seems with the merger of ShareLaTeX and Overleaf, Overleaf is the dominant force now.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

Out of interest, are any of the editors not shit? No one I know has a good word to say about it, which includes multiple PhDs at different universities across a range of disciplines, including a few in computer science.
    Overleaf is the "gold standard" now, but it is cloud based.

Atom.io is my go to option for local editor.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,207

Cyclefree said:

Morons with badges are among the most dangerous things known to mankind. Not least because they bring into disrepute the public interest reason why powers were granted in the first place.
    I fervently agree. But because this point is being made by lawyers no doubt it will be unpopular.

I can feel a header coming on, linked to the three I wrote earlier this month about state power .....
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

Overleaf is the "gold standard" now, but it is cloud based.

Atom.io is my go to option for local editor.
    Overleaf has that scary "submit" button.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Update from Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester. They currently have 14 patients suffering from Covid-19. Because all elective surgery has been cancelled and people are not going to A & E, the hospital has empty wards ready for Covid 19 patients.
  • Options
    A study conducted by Authorea suggested that approximately 18% of researchers use LaTeX to write their paper. Even astonishing to see the numbers when it comes to hard sciences:

Mathematics and Statistics: 151,085 (92% LaTeX = 138,998)
    Physics and Astronomy: 274,287 (60% LaTeX = 164,572)
    Computer Science: 255,916 (45% LaTeX = 115,162)

https://blog.typeset.io/the-only-latex-editor-guide-youll-need-in-2018-e63868fae027

Surprised it is so low in computer science, given it is really like writing code.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

How can you tell?
    It's in the eyes.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

I am unaware of any that I would recommend to someone I liked. I might possibly recommend some to, say, a North African Secret Police head honcho I once met. But he was actually named by Amnesty International as a torturer and murder....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    There are more than 5,000 patients in the Intensive Care Units of Spanish hospitals. Health officials say they are concerned about the pressure they are undergoing and are studying the possibility of transferring patients to communities with less saturation. The intensivists also propose the transfer of professionals between autonomies.
  • Options
    Authorea looks quite interesting. I have never heard of it before.
  • Options
    Frisee would be the absolute endive.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Morons with badges are among the most dangerous things known to mankind. Not least because they bring into disrepute the public interest reason why powers were granted in the first place.
    I fervently agree. But because this point is being made by lawyers no doubt it will be unpopular.

I can feel a header coming on, linked to the three I wrote earlier this month about state power .....
    Something like 'extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures...but that doesnt mean a legal free for all'?

As a non lawyer I think the message remains popular enough.
  • Options

A study conducted by Authorea suggested that approximately 18% of researchers use LaTeX to write their paper. Even astonishing to see the numbers when it comes to hard sciences:

Mathematics and Statistics: 151,085 (92% LaTeX = 138,998)
    Physics and Astronomy: 274,287 (60% LaTeX = 164,572)
    Computer Science: 255,916 (45% LaTeX = 115,162)

https://blog.typeset.io/the-only-latex-editor-guide-youll-need-in-2018-e63868fae027

Surprised it is so low in computer science, given it is really like writing code.

Many in computer science know about Donald Knuth, his history with TeX and accordingly run away screaming when presented with LaTeX
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,666
    That tweet is great, a little gem.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Coronavirus, basically you don't want to be a fat man over 50.

Well that's me fucked then.
    BMI of 27 is a bit close for comfort. Redouble efforts on the weight loss front I think.
  • Options
    #CornyvirusPundemic central!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I'm not - posted by mouth breathers on Facebook so that they can harrumph about it. One woman now having a row with a pensioner. Having gone in so heavy in Outrage that B&M are open she's now in disbelief at a pensioner who chooses to do her food shop there. You'd think anything that takes pressure off supermarkets would be popular...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

#CornyvirusPundemic central!
    Cos we're worth it.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    BigRich said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

On reported deaths, signs of a slowing of rate of growth in Italy, Spain and France, but not yet in UK, US and Germany.
    On reported cases, slight sign of slowing of rate of growth in most countries.

South Korea is missing from those graphs, which is a real pity as they should be the modal everybody is trying to emulate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_South_Korea
    You're right. I'll include South Korea in future.

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

The real outlier in Europe is Sweden, still doggedly pursuing their herd immunity strategy.
    https://twitter.com/WoodfordinDK/status/1244617603378827265?s=09

I think Sweden has a pretty low ICU capacity too.
    Sweden's population is about twice that of Denmark, so that will partly explain the difference.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,633

Just seen 40 magpies on a school playing field. How many verses does that song have?

I think 40 qualifies as a "magpie wedding".

I once saw 200 in a field.
    How did you get them to stand still so you could count them?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm not - posted by mouth breathers on Facebook so that they can harrumph about it. One woman now having a row with a pensioner. Having gone in so heavy in Outrage that B&M are open she's now in disbelief at a pensioner who chooses to do her food shop there. You'd think anything that takes pressure off supermarkets would be popular...
    Plus really small shops can do 1 person in the show at a time, queue outside.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Suggests there have been 180 Covid-19 related deaths in the UK up to 5pm last night: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-another-159-people-die-after-testing-positive-in-england-11965742
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited March 2020
    algarkirk said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

Quincel said:

Ultimately the effect of coronavirus is perhaps best seen in the excess deaths it causes overall instead of trying to track each specific patient. I thought I'd look at the total weekly deaths in the UK, and was surprised to see that 2020 has been below the 5 year average for virtually every week so far this year. It turns out that only 75% of deaths are registered within a week of mortality, and over 5% take a month or more. So annoyingly it's not going to be comparable for ages yet. Here's the figures so far nonetheless, I guess it also means that if a new week's figures are even slightly above the past average as soon as they come out then that's much worse than it looks.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales

There is some news on that:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1244595145280032768?s=19
    Cheers. I assume that relates to COVID-19 deaths only, but I may be wrong.
    A genuinely useful figure would be the total number of UK deaths daily/weekly whatever, and to compare them with figures of the same period in the previous few years. Does anyone know if this is actually available?

Top line is this year, 2nd is 5 year average
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

The real outlier in Europe is Sweden, still doggedly pursuing their herd immunity strategy.

Yes, I've been following their death rate. It isn't good. Norway next door has a rigid lockdown and less than half the deaths, I think.

How long can Sweden resist public and global pressure and keep the country open? A fascinating subplot.
    Why would lockdown vs not lockdown result in different patterns of deaths? Surely you'd just see it in numbers of cases, unless one or both health systems got totally overwhelmed (which I assume isn't a factor yet).
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273
    Andrew said:

eadric said:

The implied number of UK cases if we'd been doing enough testing, given our number of deaths, is 75,000 - 140,000 (using the South Korean and German death rates to estimate our number of cases).

I wonder whether one reason not to have ramped up testing was to deliberately keep the headline number down and the public calmer?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

What the bloody hell has he been doing all this time? :o
    Given how he operates, for people to give him money up front. Who said religion was about charity?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

BMI of 27 is a bit close for comfort. Redouble efforts on the weight loss front I think.
    I guess the difficult things with such stats is, what impact does being overweight in itself the issue and how much is it red flags towards lifestyle issues that will be increasing the chances of as yet under diagnosed conditions e.g. massively overweight people probably aren't very fit, so lung capacity ain't going to be great, but also likely to be at least on the way to be diabetes or heart disease.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

BigRich said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

On reported deaths, signs of a slowing of rate of growth in Italy, Spain and France, but not yet in UK, US and Germany.

South Korea is missing from those graphs, which is a real pity as they should be the modal everybody is trying to emulate.

Thanks, and again, please can we, see what can be leaned from SK,

Lots of being open with the public.
    Lots and lots of testing!
    Lots of spontaneity micro actions by people e.g. wherein masked

and Not closing the closing the country!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Foxy said:

That tweet is great, a little gem.
    I didn’t think so coz it fell flat
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Well, you give him a hug first.....
    He's spitting a bit.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

and you'll be screaming state_come_back the minute that law and order starts to break down
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

Suggests there have been 180 Covid-19 related deaths in the UK up to 5pm last night: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-another-159-people-die-after-testing-positive-in-england-11965742

The 2nd decrease in 2 consecutive days.

If this is a trend it is fantastic news.
    If nothing else, every day the bomb doesn't go off, the more prepared we can be if it does. It buys more time. I know deaths are obviously a lagging indicator, but it still a sign that the system hasn't crashed yet, because as soon as it does you get deaths going through the roof.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    DavidL said:

BMI is a poor metric.

IIRC every single member of the England rugby team would be categorised as obese as their muscle level isn't taken into account.
  • Options
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

Probably a blip, unfortunately.
  • Options

I wonder whether one reason not to have ramped up testing was to deliberately keep the headline number down and the public calmer?

Doubt it tbh - various public health bods have said they think the total number of cases is some large multiple of actual positive tests (10x?), so it's no great secret.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Yes, I've been following their death rate. It isn't good. Norway next door has a rigid lockdown and less than half the deaths, I think.

How long can Sweden resist public and global pressure and keep the country open? A fascinating subplot.
    not sure there is that much public pressure or global pressure.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Leaving aside for a moment the issue of taking joy at another's misfortune - it happens, it's not pleasant, but it'd take a bigger person than I to admit to never having done so - I'm not quite seeing how someone allegedly being a bit of a shit is subject to karma if they suffer some unrelated medical issue. I guess karma could include any general poor fortune, but to be proportionate and appropriate karma for someone in that situation would be being fired in disgrace, not just having a personal health issue - they might not regard that suffering as a karmic at all, anymore than a horrible dictator getting ill at the end of a thirty year reign of terror would be getting karma.
    It would hardly be surprising if the lady frogmarched out of Downing Street by the Police - following orders from Cummings -derived satisfaction from any illfortune he suffered - including his demise were that to come about. I was certainly not the first to compare him with Reinhard Heydrich.
    Your last sentence is savagely offensive to people who actually suffered at the hands of Heydrich et al and represents another example of the "literally Hitler" garbage that is infesting political life at the moment.
    Whatever! Many view Cummings as little short of pure evil and their response to this news is likely to be 'Serve the bastard right' or 'he got his just desserts'. I have no reason to say that - but quite a few people do!
    Pure evil? Get a grip for God's sake.
    The savage in me would hope that he would meet some real evil. The civilised human within me thinks that thought un worthy.

I have met actual evil, though not of the Heydrich level - and he really does not know what he is talking about.
    In the world at large, I have little doubt that many people would welcome the demise of those who had cost them their jobs.
    No, I think most normal people wouldn't wish such people to die.
    To wish him genuine ill would be descending to his repulsive level, though as I said on the last thread, it would be deserving of his "so be-it" comment relating to the death of the elderly if he experiences some sever symptoms so he can reflect on his revolting disregard of others. I hope he then has a full recovery and damascene conversion to being a half decent non-psychopathic human being. If he suffers badly along the way, then, as he would say, so be it; it is difficult to have sympathy for one that has none for others.
    Sorry, the phrase was "to bad". Yea, if Cummings is really very ill, well that is too bad. Don't wish the revolting little shit dead though, otherwise I would be as bad as he is.
    You really should put the spade down. You've been rumbled.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

England only?

EDIT - sorry, I can see the Wales and Scotland figures in there too.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

BMI is a poor metric.

IIRC every single member of the England rugby team would be categorised as obese as their muscle level isn't taken into account.
    But taken across a population it is ok for statistical purposes, as only 0.000001% of the population are built like an England rugby player.
  • Options
    ABZ said:

Isn't the DoH figure taken up until 9am ?

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Barnesian said:

BigRich said:

Barnesian said:

Today's data

And Sweden. It is useful to compare trajectories of competing strategies.

• Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    It has been suggested that it was Cummings idea to try the mathematically inappropriate idea of creating 'herd immunity' by letting people get Covid-19. Even though that was abandoned when someone worked out what that would mean, it is generous of Dom and Boris to volunteer to help in a small way to increase Britain's herd immunity.
    The suggestion is rubbish. Everything after that in your posting is meaningless.
    Long ago shown to be garbage based on the actual minutes of the meetings. So as I say your posting is pointless and wrong.
    I didn't realise "private engagements" were minuted Richard? Anyone who has the measure of this revolting individual knows that he most likely would say such a thing. Cameron referred to him as a "career psychopath". People don't get those sort of reputations without good reason. It is a bad thing to wish him dead though. With that I can agree with you. I hope he recovers quickly, but slowly enough to reflect on his comments and does not use resource that might be used on those that are more worthy of compassion.
    You can't control yourself can you. So much hate from such a small mind.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

BMI is a poor metric.

But taken across a population it is ok for statistical purposes, as only 0.000001% of the population are built like an England rugby player.
    Yes fine for stats but if you have some guns then ignore BMI for your own scenarios.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Good for him.
    The genuine source of the difference would be extremely interesting to know, from a public health policy point of view. I look forward to the result of the inevitable scientific enquiry into this.

One question I have - what tests is Germany using: All the lengthy, lab tests, or are they using the quick tests in combination (see South Korea)?
    So far as I know lab tests. Quick tests might be available somewhere in Germany, though I've not heard of it.

There's lots of countries following exactly the same trajectory as Germany: lots of confirmed cases with at first very few deaths, followed by deaths slowly catching up. Which is exactly what you would expect if the testing is doing a reasonable job of tracking the epidemic, given that it takes an average of 20 days to die.

The USA has done the opposite - a high initial death rate because no testing but now lower because a lot of testing. Maybe soon Germany and US will have same death rate.

The way I see it, any country without this pattern of very low early death rate has probably failed to catch many of the early infections with testing, which probably does have public health policy implications.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    RobD said:

eadric said:

ABZ said:

Agreed - numbers will certainly rise. But in combination with the report from Imperial, it does give some cause for hope...
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.
    The genuine source of the difference would be extremely interesting to know, from a public health policy point of view. I look forward to the result of the inevitable scientific enquiry into this.

One question I have - what tests is Germany using: All the lengthy, lab tests, or are they using the quick tests in combination (see South Korea)?
    So far as I know lab tests. Quick tests might be available somewhere in Germany, though I've not heard of it.

There's lots of countries following exactly the same trajectory as Germany: lots of confirmed cases with at first very few deaths, followed by deaths slowly catching up. Which is exactly what you would expect if the testing is doing a reasonable job of tracking the epidemic, given that it takes an average of 20 days to die.

The USA has done the opposite - a high initial death rate because no testing but now lower because a lot of testing. Maybe soon Germany and US will have same death rate.

The way I see it, any country without this pattern of very low early death rate has probably failed to catch many of the early infections with testing, which probably does have public health policy implications.
    So where are they getting the enormous volumes (relatively) of reagents and lab time required?
  • Options
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

if it is than it would suggest that the scoshale distancing, and other protections that people where doing spontaneously before the 'lock down' became policy. had the desired result, and therefor the knockdown may not have been needed.

sadly, However it may just be that people with 'flu lick systems' can now stay home form work and don't feel the need to go to hospital, and are therefor not being tested?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yeah, would be great if so, but seems too early. Spain/Italy both needed about 12 days post-lockdown for cases to peak, and deaths will be after that.
  • Options
    Not sure I'd fancy rocket up my backside! ...then again..
  • Options
    Would some repost that updated table (Italy v UK figures please)?

Not to make a political point, I'd just be interested to see how things compare.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    My anecdote from the front line. I had a regular visit to a consultant today. In the appointment waiting room we were ordered to sit at least 2 seats apart and the nurse who weighed me and took my BP wore apron and mask. The consultant had no PPE and shook my hand when I left!
  • Options
    They say never let a good crisis go to waste.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    As posted down thread, but from Guardian...

The number of people who have died in England after contracting coronavirus now stands at 1,284 – a rise of 159 from yesterday – NHS England has said.

The patients were aged between 32 and 98 years old and all but four, aged between 56 and 87 years old, had underlying health conditions, according to the PA news agency.

I think that is ~180 deaths UK wide.

It is noticeable that every day now we do get some really young people passing away. Most have underlying health conditions, but still.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

I am unaware of any that I would recommend to someone I liked. I might possibly recommend some to, say, a North African Secret Police head honcho I once met. But he was actually named by Amnesty International as a torturer and murder....
    :smile: Certainly has it's frustrations, but I'd still favour it over Word for anything big.

I'm mostly on Word now (due to co-authors and moving field a bit so working with epidemiologists and medics more than physicists/statisticians) and the equation editor is way better than it used to be - that's not saying much, but it doesn't seem to crash Word any more.

When I mostly used LaTeX, Kile was good, but that's Linux focused (there is a Windows port but it might be flaky) and development looks pretty dead. A lot of people I worked with liked LyX which abstracts away the actual LaTeX code, but I preferred the IDE-like approach of Kile.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:
    I think Israel declared a SoE in 1948 and is still in it.
  • Options

The number of people who have died in England after contracting coronavirus now stands at 1,284 – a rise of 159 from yesterday – NHS England has said.

The patients were aged between 32 and 98 years old and all but four, aged between 56 and 87 years old, had underlying health conditions, according to the PA news agency.

It is noticeable that every day now we do get some really young people passing away. Most have underlying health conditions, but still.

Basically, it you are overweight, now is the ideal time for a crash diet. With the spinoff benefit of leaving more food for everyone else.
  • Options
    Once they have a taste for it, some folk get addicted to shooting their mouth off in the media.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1244628961499455496?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266
    felix said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    You can't control yourself can you. So much hate from such a small mind.
    His small mind is a large part of the problem.

Oh sorry, was that not a reference to Cummings?

With regard to Justin - I don't think anyone here dislikes, indeed despises, Cummings more than I do. I must admit I was not especially grieved to hear he had Coronavirus. But to compare him to Heydrich is utterly crass, and to wish him dead is if anything even more crass.

Cummings is guilty of poetic licence with his CV, buggering up education reform through a mixture of arrogance, ignorance and incompetence, making false claims in a political campaign, misleading parliament, and numerous episodes of bullying. That makes him a malign and unpleasant person, which, coupled to his long track record of failure and incompetence, means he should not be involved in government.

Heydrich was responsible for at least three acts of mass murder - in Poland, Czecha and finally the Holocaust - that may ultimately have caused seven million deaths. That is a very different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    Jeez - Crude at $20 a barrel and we're not allowed to drive!
  • Options
    felix said:

Not sure I'd fancy rocket up my backside! ...then again..
    Aaaaargula !
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    felix said:

Still above a pound a litre. Shows how much tax we pay.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266
    felix said:

There's only one solution.

If you have the spare cash, buy a filling station, and keep it all for yourself.

'Cos oil is never going to be this cheap again.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,666
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

BMI is a poor metric.

Yes, but that is not the typical physique of a Brit with BMI over 30, particularly with advancing years.. In any case high BMI was strongly associated with mortality in the current stats

I do wonder if the issue is that overweight men put on abdominal fat, while female distribution is more hips and thighs. Abdominal obesity is a predictor of diabetes, but also physically impairs diaphragmatic breathing.

There has also been some interesting work on prone ventilation being better in COVID19 patients, and obesity may impair that position.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    IanB2 said:

Basically, it you are overweight, now is the ideal time for a crash diet. With the spinoff benefit of leaving more food for everyone else.
    Does a crash diet provide health bonuses that quickly? Won't it be too late to really impact this time but still be worth doing?

I'm trying to get into shape anyway and have found quarantine has helped this. It's easier to find motivation to cook properly when you have the time and no pressure to get a takeaway due to lack of time. I've lost a stone this month but if I contract the virus then not sure what difference if any that will make.
  • Options

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Good for him.

So where are they getting the enormous volumes (relatively) of reagents and lab time required?
    Lots of labs
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

Death is the ultimate lagging indicator. Unless actual cases also decreased 1 to 2 weeks ago, which they don't appear to have done, it's unlikely to be part of a trend. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273

I think that is ~180 deaths UK wide.

Does anyone know if "underlying health conditions" includes things like a BMI > 30, or smoking, or is it only something with a formal diagnosis?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Have to wait and see what the next few days' figures are. Even if everything goes very well, weeks more of ye olde lockdown will remain.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

eadric said:

ABZ said:

if it is than it would suggest that the scoshale distancing, and other protections that people where doing spontaneously before the 'lock down' became policy. had the desired result, and therefor the knockdown may not have been needed.

sadly, However it may just be that people with 'flu lick systems' can now stay home form work and don't feel the need to go to hospital, and are therefor not being tested?
    But won't this go up tomorrow as they are starting to measure Covid19 deaths in the community as well ?

Don't get me wrong it is great this is reducing especially as it is on a consistent measure.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited March 2020
    Quincel said:

algarkirk said:

Quincel said:

Foxy said:

Quincel said:

Ultimately the effect of coronavirus is perhaps best seen in the excess deaths it causes overall instead of trying to track each specific patient. I thought I'd look at the total weekly deaths in the UK, and was surprised to see that 2020 has been below the 5 year average for virtually every week so far this year. It turns out that only 75% of deaths are registered within a week of mortality, and over 5% take a month or more. So annoyingly it's not going to be comparable for ages yet. Here's the figures so far nonetheless, I guess it also means that if a new week's figures are even slightly above the past average as soon as they come out then that's much worse than it looks.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales

There is some news on that:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1244595145280032768?s=19
    Cheers. I assume that relates to COVID-19 deaths only, but I may be wrong.
    A genuinely useful figure would be the total number of UK deaths daily/weekly whatever, and to compare them with figures of the same period in the previous few years. Does anyone know if this is actually available?

Those are the ones I linked to, it's just that there is a time lag in reporting so the 2020 ones aren't complete (to within 5% of the final total) until at least a couple of months later.
    Do they get backdated to the week of death, or logged in the week when they are finally closed?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

There's only one solution.

If you have the spare cash, buy a filling station, and keep it all for yourself.

'Cos oil is never going to be this cheap again.
    Who was that Tory MP who advised storing petrol in your wooden shed? Brilliant idea that.
This discussion has been closed.