Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michigan Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, the woman who’s got under

Comments

• Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive. But to be a Remainer was very heaven!
    Several former Spads will be pleased. Karma again!
    Leaving aside for a moment the issue of taking joy at another's misfortune - it happens, it's not pleasant, but it'd take a bigger person than I to admit to never having done so - I'm not quite seeing how someone allegedly being a bit of a shit is subject to karma if they suffer some unrelated medical issue. I guess karma could include any general poor fortune, but to be proportionate and appropriate karma for someone in that situation would be being fired in disgrace, not just having a personal health issue - they might not regard that suffering as a karmic at all, anymore than a horrible dictator getting ill at the end of a thirty year reign of terror would be getting karma.
    It would hardly be surprising if the lady frogmarched out of Downing Street by the Police - following orders from Cummings -derived satisfaction from any illfortune he suffered - including his demise were that to come about. I was certainly not the first to compare him with Reinhard Heydrich.
    Then you've never met Sonia Khan, she wouldn't wish this on anyone.

You show your own debased and depraved mind at work.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will run from 23 July to 8 August 2021, the International Olympic Committee has announced.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Leaving aside for a moment the issue of taking joy at another's misfortune - it happens, it's not pleasant, but it'd take a bigger person than I to admit to never having done so - I'm not quite seeing how someone allegedly being a bit of a shit is subject to karma if they suffer some unrelated medical issue. I guess karma could include any general poor fortune, but to be proportionate and appropriate karma for someone in that situation would be being fired in disgrace, not just having a personal health issue - they might not regard that suffering as a karmic at all, anymore than a horrible dictator getting ill at the end of a thirty year reign of terror would be getting karma.
    It would hardly be surprising if the lady frogmarched out of Downing Street by the Police - following orders from Cummings -derived satisfaction from any illfortune he suffered - including his demise were that to come about. I was certainly not the first to compare him with Reinhard Heydrich.
    Your last sentence is savagely offensive to people who actually suffered at the hands of Heydrich et al and represents another example of the "literally Hitler" garbage that is infesting political life at the moment.
    Whatever! Many view Cummings as little short of pure evil and their response to this news is likely to be 'Serve the bastard right' or 'he got his just desserts'. I have no reason to say that - but quite a few people do!
    Ah yes, the "I don't think this, but many people do" cop out - either man up and and have the view or don't repeat it.
    No - but I can certainly empathise. Were I in that lady's position, it would certainly be how I would feel.
    How many times have you met Sonia Khan?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The government needs an exit strategy to the lockdown.

They should be pulling out all the stops to find an effective treatment, setting up trials for as many drugs as possible.

They should be getting a steady stream of masks to everyone and announce that they need to be worn outside the house for the foreseeable future. This would allow the lockdown to finish earlier and for it to be longer before another one is potentially needed in future.

Currently they just seem to be waiting around to see what turns up.

I guess they are relying on the evidence and making decision on that basis

What makes you think that they are not doing trials for drugs? Why should we be sending our limited supplies of masks to you vs doctors and nurses?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    felix said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    What? You really are beyond the pale. Absolutely disgraceful.
    Utter scum.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Your last sentence is savagely offensive to people who actually suffered at the hands of Heydrich et al and represents another example of the "literally Hitler" garbage that is infesting political life at the moment.
    Whatever! Many view Cummings as little short of pure evil and their response to this news is likely to be 'Serve the bastard right' or 'he got his just desserts'. I have no reason to say that - but quite a few people do!
    Ah yes, the "I don't think this, but many people do" cop out - either man up and and have the view or don't repeat it.
    No - but I can certainly empathise. Were I in that lady's position, it would certainly be how I would feel.
    An embittered leftie but with smaller front parts ?

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    A while back, some people in an office where I worked got so sick of the coffee room rants of a regressive about all the people he wished ill to, that they started announcing they wanted various "progressive" figures to suffer harm.

Said regressive was appalled... apparently it was evil to wish harm on other people.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Pure evil? Get a grip for God's sake.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will run from 23 July to 8 August 2021, the International Olympic Committee has announced.

What if we do not have a vaccine yet and we are in lockdown again at that time?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Barnesian said:

Today's data

On reported deaths, signs of a slowing of rate of growth in Italy, Spain and France, but not yet in UK, US and Germany.
    On reported cases, slight sign of slowing of rate of growth in most countries.

I'd like to point out that the slowing you mention is when using a log scale.

Italy, Spain and France are looking linear (i.e. constant growth) for cases and deaths, which of course is much better than it was last week.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955

Not the first time Justin has had a weird fascination with wishing death on political figures.

Or nazis. Totally inappropriate.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    HYUFD said:

Postpone it again
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

It reminds me of an event from circa 1970. A widely disliked and sadistic Grammar School Headmaster suddenly dropped dead following a coronary. There were wide smiles everywhere!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I think these are the current UK figures.

BMI over 30 looks bad, as does age. Figures in third column are other viral pneumonia for comparison.

Until I contracted severe pneumonia a couple of years ago, I rather naively thought that only oldies died of it. I didn't know there was a somewhat significant death rate for even under 50s (obviously column 3 is showing those that needed critical care, but still).
    ARDS is a particularly nasty pneumonia.
    Isn’t pneumonia just a symptom of ARDS?
    Isn't it rather a grab bag which describes respiratory failures from various causes (pneumonia included) which share common symptoms ?

Hence 'syndrome', which is a useful label medics attach to a general something they can't precisely explain.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    The savage in me would hope that he would meet some real evil. The civilised human within me thinks that thought un worthy.

I have met actual evil, though not of the Heydrich level - and he really does not know what he is talking about.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    It has been suggested that it was Cummings idea to try the mathematically inappropriate idea of creating 'herd immunity' by letting people get Covid-19. Even though that was abandoned when someone worked out what that would mean, it is generous of Dom and Boris to volunteer to help in a small way to increase Britain's herd immunity.
    The suggestion is rubbish. Everything after that in your posting is meaningless.
    https://twitter.com/cooperphil156/status/1244558876625821696/photo/1
    Long ago shown to be garbage based on the actual minutes of the meetings. So as I say your posting is pointless and wrong.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    What? You really are beyond the pale. Absolutely disgraceful.
    Pot calling the kettle black again.
    I think not.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Just seen 40 magpies on a school playing field. How many verses does that song have?

Only seven.

But you could be an optimist and say it was eight multiples of five, suggesting a fuckload of silver is coming your way shortly.
    Or 10 kids...
  • Options

Not the first time Justin has had a weird fascination with wishing death on political figures.

I am not wishing it - but can well understand why others would.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Just had a look for how to volunteer to be part of a vaccine trial, but the only one I could find in the UK, was only looking for people living in or near Oxford.

https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/volunteer

Are there any other trials going on?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Thankfully the receivers have said they will take advantage of the Government 80% pay scheme to keep all employees on whilst they look for a buyer.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I am not wishing it - but can well understand why others would.
    We all remember you wishing dismemberment and death on May a few years back.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Postpone it again
    They have said they will not postpone it again, so if that happens the Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled
  • Options

It didn't take the police long to find mission creep in the powers they've been given, did it?

Now, anyone care to guess when these powers will be repealed? We can do this by month, year or decade - your call.

This decade
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Charles said:

They should be pulling out all the stops to find an effective treatment, setting up trials for as many drugs as possible.

They should be getting a steady stream of masks to everyone and announce that they need to be worn outside the house for the foreseeable future. This would allow the lockdown to finish earlier and for it to be longer before another one is potentially needed in future.

What makes you think that they are not doing trials for drugs? Why should we be sending our limited supplies of masks to you vs doctors and nurses?
    We have lockdown of the population here, but are still allowing flights from Italy and Spain at the moment, with people allowed to just wander straight off the planes.

The problem is that there is a limited supply of masks, not where they are being supplied. Of course NHS staff should get them as a priority.

If they are making efforts to ramp up production here then fair enough, I'd be interested in seeing how they are doing this.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    The savage in me would hope that he would meet some real evil. The civilised human within me thinks that thought un worthy.

I have met actual evil, though not of the Heydrich level - and he really does not know what he is talking about.
    In the world at large, I have little doubt that many people would welcome the demise of those who had cost them their jobs.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

In the world at large, I have little doubt that many people would welcome the demise of those who had cost them their jobs.
    Then they are immoral. Losing a job is a small thing against a human life.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

No, I think most normal people wouldn't wish such people to die.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Its amazing Hope not Hate have commissioned a poll.....and apparently their results think the government is shit, didn't act fast enough and the PM can't be trusted.

I presumed they only polled Corbyn household.

The clue in the sort of people they spoke to is that 66% said they thought it was important not to trust the mainstream media and get a second opinion from "alternative media" and that 20% think it is all overblown nonsense.

They appear to have polled David Icke followers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Thankfully the receivers have said they will take advantage of the Government 80% pay scheme to keep all employees on whilst they look for a buyer.

This is an example of a zombie business that might well have failed without this crisis - too pricey for the quality.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

It reminds me of an event from circa 1970. A widely disliked and sadistic Grammar School Headmaster suddenly dropped dead following a coronary. There were wide smiles everywhere!
    So you've never met Sonia Khan, so stop making rubbish stuff up about what she thinks.

I mean you wouldn't like if people did that about you.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It didn't take the police long to find mission creep in the powers they've been given, did it?

Now, anyone care to guess when these powers will be repealed? We can do this by month, year or decade - your call.

This decade

Never
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

This is an interesting story.

Coronavirus: pathogen could have been spreading in humans for years, study says
    Virus may have jumped from animal to humans long before the first detection in Wuhan, according to research by an international team of scientists
    Findings significantly reduce the possibility of the virus having a laboratory origin, director of the US National Institute of Health says

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3077442/coronavirus-pathogen-could-have-been-spreading-humans-decades

I wouldn't be tempted to over-interpret it, but it does demonstrate the considerable amount of uncertainty which surrounds everything about this virus.

It's fascinating how many 'interesting' stories the South China Morning Post manages to find which propose alternative theories about the origins of the virus, and you seem to be remarkably credulous about them...
    Hardly - hence my suggestion that it not be over-interpreted.
    Are you saying the US NIH director didn't say that the findings reduce the possibility of the virus having a laboratory origin ?
    The SCMP article fundamentally misrepresents the findings. In fact the paper referred to states: "Estimates of the timing of the most recent common ancestor of SARS-CoV-2 made with current sequence data point to emergence of the virus in late November 2019 to early December 2019, compatible with the earliest retrospectively confirmed cases."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
    But what about this quote - is it fabricated ?
    Dr Francis Collins, director of the US National Institute of Health, who was not involved in the research, said the study suggested a possible scenario in which the coronavirus crossed from animals into humans before it became capable of causing disease in people.
    “Then, as a result of gradual evolutionary changes over years or perhaps decades, the virus eventually gained the ability to spread from human to human and cause serious, often life-threatening disease,” he said in an article published on the institute’s website on Thursday....
    Here's another quote from the same Dr Francis Collins:

"If you look at the current coronavirus and say, what is it closest to in terms of its instruction book, its RNA sequence? Its 96% the same as a coronavirus isolated from a bat in a cave in China several years ago. Now, did it come directly from a bat to a human? Did it travel through some other host along the way? We don't know the answer to that. But as humans are more and more populous and more and more interacting with animals in the wild, and of course, in China, there are markets where that happens a lot, we are going to keep seeing this happen."
  • Options

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not suggesting they would take action to bring it about, but would not be unhappy to hear the news.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:
    I guess you’d be happy with just over 50% on a test then...
    If the test were marked as a zero-sum game in which you were competing against all the other examinees for the same finite pool of marks, then it would be a fantastic outcome...
    Where’s your ambition, man!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

This is an interesting story.

Coronavirus: pathogen could have been spreading in humans for years, study says
    Virus may have jumped from animal to humans long before the first detection in Wuhan, according to research by an international team of scientists
    Findings significantly reduce the possibility of the virus having a laboratory origin, director of the US National Institute of Health says

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3077442/coronavirus-pathogen-could-have-been-spreading-humans-decades

I wouldn't be tempted to over-interpret it, but it does demonstrate the considerable amount of uncertainty which surrounds everything about this virus.

It's fascinating how many 'interesting' stories the South China Morning Post manages to find which propose alternative theories about the origins of the virus, and you seem to be remarkably credulous about them...
    Hardly - hence my suggestion that it not be over-interpreted.
    Are you saying the US NIH director didn't say that the findings reduce the possibility of the virus having a laboratory origin ?
    The SCMP article fundamentally misrepresents the findings. In fact the paper referred to states: "Estimates of the timing of the most recent common ancestor of SARS-CoV-2 made with current sequence data point to emergence of the virus in late November 2019 to early December 2019, compatible with the earliest retrospectively confirmed cases."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
    But what about this quote - is it fabricated ?
    Dr Francis Collins, director of the US National Institute of Health, who was not involved in the research, said the study suggested a possible scenario in which the coronavirus crossed from animals into humans before it became capable of causing disease in people.
    “Then, as a result of gradual evolutionary changes over years or perhaps decades, the virus eventually gained the ability to spread from human to human and cause serious, often life-threatening disease,” he said in an article published on the institute’s website on Thursday....
    Here's another quote from the same Dr Francis Collins:

"If you look at the current coronavirus and say, what is it closest to in terms of its instruction book, its RNA sequence? Its 96% the same as a coronavirus isolated from a bat in a cave in China several years ago. Now, did it come directly from a bat to a human? Did it travel through some other host along the way? We don't know the answer to that. But as humans are more and more populous and more and more interacting with animals in the wild, and of course, in China, there are markets where that happens a lot, we are going to keep seeing this happen."
    None of which contradicts what I posted.
    I know you have a bee in your bonnet about this, and it is of course true that any news issuing from China need to be taken with a very large pinch of salt, but I'm not going to discuss it further, as we're going round in circles.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

So you've never met Sonia Khan, so stop making rubbish stuff up about what she thinks.

I never claimed to know her thoughts - but could well understand if she did think along such lines.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

I never claimed to know her thoughts - but could well understand if she did think along such lines.
    And can you now well understand that you're likely entirely wrong ?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not suggesting they would take action to bring it about, but would not be unhappy to hear the news.
    Not being unhappy is far from welcoming the news. Normal people wouldn't feel glee if someone who had cost them their jobs had died.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

God's representative on earth gets automatic immunity
    How did Conte get so certain that he can't be still be a carrier, though?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Well she'd be quite offended by your comments, so shut up before you get Mike into trouble.
  • Options

Charles said:

We have lockdown of the population here, but are still allowing flights from Italy and Spain at the moment, with people allowed to just wander straight off the planes.

The problem is that there is a limited supply of masks, not where they are being supplied. Of course NHS staff should get them as a priority.

If they are making efforts to ramp up production here then fair enough, I'd be interested in seeing how they are doing this.
    The supply of PPE has been explicitly talked about in the daily briefings.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Cheeky Mike, I tipped Gretchen here on Saturday!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    It has been suggested that it was Cummings idea to try the mathematically inappropriate idea of creating 'herd immunity' by letting people get Covid-19. Even though that was abandoned when someone worked out what that would mean, it is generous of Dom and Boris to volunteer to help in a small way to increase Britain's herd immunity.
    The suggestion is rubbish. Everything after that in your posting is meaningless.
    Which has the slight problem of being at variance with the published minutes of the government scientific advisory committee.

So we have the published statements and actions of named individuals vs an anon source who heard from someone that...
    Thank goodness that this government long ago decided not to live by the sword of anonymous briefings and unnamed sources.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

And can you now well understand that you're likely entirely wrong ?
    I was always open to that possibility. There is no way I can know the thoughts of someone else. Nobody can claim to be certain as to how that lady might think or feel.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scores on the doors delayed again until later in the day.

Clearly Boris is being slower than usual hiding the bodies or something like that according to twitter.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Charles said:

This decade

Never
    I am not sure how, in normal times, these very particular constraints will be able to be continued.
  • Options

Charles said:

How many people arrived on a flight yesterday?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    HYUFD said:

Then that becomes a problem - but the announcement is the best possibility in the current circumstances.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    HYUFD said:

Lockdown wont last past this April nevermind next year.

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

To wish him genuine ill would be descending to his repulsive level, though as I said on the last thread, it would be deserving of his "so be-it" comment relating to the death of the elderly if he experiences some sever symptoms so he can reflect on his revolting disregard of others. I hope he then has a full recovery and damascene conversion to being a half decent non-psychopathic human being. If he suffers badly along the way, then, as he would say, so be it; it is difficult to have sympathy for one that has none for others.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited March 2020
    You know Britain is turning into an authoritarian state when PPM is at 95%:

http://trains.im/ppm/

TPE @ 100%!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Nobody has Dom in the Dead Pool. So if anybody fancies loitering in the penalty box waiting for C19 to whip in a Becks style cross..
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Nigelb said:
    Could spark a rush for people to get the disease all at once.
    It was said in German media a couple of days ago an accurate antibody test might be 2-3 months away, so it might be a while.

Meanwhile my wife's hospital is looking into how to disinfect facemasks to make them reusable - which is worrying.
    A guy came in the other day with lower belly pain and no Covid-19 symptoms at all. In the CT scan thay noticed the lungs had signs of Covid-19 so they tested him and it came back positive. Not sure if the belly pain is related to Covid-19, but I guess they are starting to get people coming in for unrelated things who are also infected, and asymptomatic.

It would be nice to be able to do a CT scan on admission, especially as they have to wait for test results, and there are a lot of false negatives - eg one patient with severe symptoms only tested positive on the third test. Unfortunately they only have 1 CT scanner and it's needed for other things.

At least test results come back the same day, or the next day. They don't have a lab at the hospital, they have to be sent elsewhere.

My sister is a doctor in a North London hospital and has caught the virus. Nothing too severe so far fingers crossed. She was complaining last week about a lack of masks, she wasn't dealing directly with Covid-19 patients. She was quite angry about the lack of PPE.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

To wish him genuine ill would be descending to his repulsive level, though as I said on the last thread, it would be deserving of his "so be-it" comment relating to the death of the elderly if he experiences some sever symptoms so he can reflect on his revolting disregard of others. I hope he then has a full recovery and damascene conversion to being a half decent non-psychopathic human being. If he suffers badly along the way, then, as he would say, so be it; it is difficult to have sympathy for one that has none for others.
    Fair enough to have no sympathy, but to derive joy from it? Sick.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    tlg86 said:

You know Britain is turning into an authoritarian state when PPM is at 95%:

http://trains.im/ppm/

TPE @ 100%!

They did say Boris would at least make the trains run on time...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1244460977615253504

Even a scarf or tea towel has some efficacy.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Sorry, the phrase was "to bad". Yea, if Cummings is really very ill, well that is too bad. Don't wish the revolting little shit dead though, otherwise I would be as bad as he is.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Nigelb said:

It would be ironic if we started seeing mandatory face covering in Europe.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

This post reads like it was repeatedly redrafted by two people who wildly disagreed on the central message they wanted to give out, and then released by accident before they could settle on a wording that satisfied both of them.

Is it OK to wish genuine ill on people, or not?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

Nigelb said:

We are all letter boxes now.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

You are another one who has lost all sense of reality and decency based on your own personal biases reinforced by rumour and smear from others like you. You have become positively Momentum like in your warped view of the world.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Pet peeve, can't these egg-heads learn to use latex.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Postpone it again
    They have said they will not postpone it again, so if that happens the Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled
    They said they wouldn't postpone it the first time, that doesn't mean they didn't postpone it the first time.
    The Governor of Tokyo is the Japanese Theresa May, if that helps.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:
    Could spark a rush for people to get the disease all at once.
    It was said in German media a couple of days ago an accurate antibody test might be 2-3 months away, so it might be a while.

Meanwhile my wife's hospital is looking into how to disinfect facemasks to make them reusable - which is worrying.
    A guy came in the other day with lower belly pain and no Covid-19 symptoms at all. In the CT scan thay noticed the lungs had signs of Covid-19 so they tested him and it came back positive. Not sure if the belly pain is related to Covid-19, but I guess they are starting to get people coming in for unrelated things who are also infected, and asymptomatic.

It would be nice to be able to do a CT scan on admission, especially as they have to wait for test results, and there are a lot of false negatives - eg one patient with severe symptoms only tested positive on the third test. Unfortunately they only have 1 CT scanner and it's needed for other things.

At least test results come back the same day, or the next day. They don't have a lab at the hospital, they have to be sent elsewhere.

My sister is a doctor in a North London hospital and has caught the virus. Nothing too severe so far fingers crossed. She was complaining last week about a lack of masks, she wasn't dealing directly with Covid-19 patients. She was quite angry about the lack of PPE.
    Best wishes to you and family.
    I think in NY, they now assume every admitted patient is infected (as they discovered many of those admitted for other emergencies were).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    The number of people who have died in Wales after contracting coronavirus is 62, a rise of 14, health officials said.

Dr Giri Shankar, incident director for the Covid-19 outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said: "210 new cases have tested positive for Covid-19 in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 1,451, although the true number of cases is likely to be higher.

"14 further deaths have been reported to us of people who had tested positive for coronavirus, taking the number of deaths in Wales to 62.

"We offer our condolences to families and friends affected, and we ask those reporting on the situation to respect patient confidentiality."
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Are you suggesting they take precautions against reproducing ?
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Long ago shown to be garbage based on the actual minutes of the meetings. So as I say your posting is pointless and wrong.
    I didn't realise "private engagements" were minuted Richard? Anyone who has the measure of this revolting individual knows that he most likely would say such a thing. Cameron referred to him as a "career psychopath". People don't get those sort of reputations without good reason. It is a bad thing to wish him dead though. With that I can agree with you. I hope he recovers quickly, but slowly enough to reflect on his comments and does not use resource that might be used on those that are more worthy of compassion.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Does anyone still use LaTeX?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Postpone it again
    They said they wouldn't postpone it the first time, that doesn't mean they didn't postpone it the first time.
    The Governor of Tokyo is the Japanese Theresa May, if that helps.
    I seem to recall someone (who doesn't even have the excuse of being Theresa May) recently promising to "die in a ditch" rather than postpone an event for the second time.

I seem to recall that resulting neither in the event happening on schedule, nor anyone dying in a ditch.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:
    Yes, if you want to get a paper published in many areas of scientific literature. For lots of conferences, the submission process comes with a predefined LaTeX template that you must adhere to.

Although it can be a pain, it is far superior to anything else when it comes to handling detailed equations.
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    I didn't realise "private engagements" were minuted Richard? Anyone who has the measure of this revolting individual knows that he most likely would say such a thing. Cameron referred to him as a "career psychopath". People don't get those sort of reputations without good reason. It is a bad thing to wish him dead though. With that I can agree with you. I hope he recovers quickly, but slowly enough to reflect on his comments and does not use resource that might be used on those that are more worthy of compassion.
    You do not have his measure, only your own bigotries. Everything else you have posted is supposition and smear.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Charles said:

On topic: So not the Gretchen from Real Housewives. Disappointing.

I did that joke yesterday Sandy

With a photo and everything 😊
    I thought it was a serious post!

Hope you are doing OK Charles.
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    The newspaper story was shown to be wrong by the minutes of the government scientific advisory committee - Cummings didn't invent policy, or implement it. So either the minutes - which name specific people saying specific things are wrong, or the anon sources of the newspaper reporter are wrong.
  • Options
    Nice to see Mr Neill trying to maintain some professional standards and some level of individual decency by having a deeper look into matters, reconsidering his views and correcting himself.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1244235433694973952?s=20
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    That exchange says so much more about Trump than Whitmer. It shows why he is not fit to run a whelk stall. It does not show that she is competent.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Yes, if you want to get a paper published in many areas of scientific literature. For lots of conferences, the submission process comes with a predefined LaTeX template that you must adhere to.

Although it can be a pain, it is far superior to anything else when it comes to handling detailed equations.
    Though exporting it to PDF is a general practise for the web etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Yes of course, but the underlying report is still created using the LaTex system.

I honestly have no idea how people write papers or journals that contain a large amount of maths without it. All those "equation editors" in the likes of Word are just utter shit. The pineapple pizza / Radiohead at Glastonbury of tools.
  • Options

Nice to see Mr Neill trying to maintain some professional standards and some level of individual decency by having a deeper look into matters, reconsidering his views and correcting himself.

He appears to be guilty of doing actual journalism in the first degree. Off with his head!
  • Options

Good for him.
    Is there still not some uncertainty over the percentage of mild/asymptomatic cases Germany's more widespread testing might have identified, though ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    eadric said:

That said, with a recent surge in deaths, Germany now looks much less of an outlier. It is recording 541 corona-dead, up over a hundred in a day.

The real outlier in Europe is Sweden, still doggedly pursuing their herd immunity strategy.
    https://unherd.com/2020/03/all-eyes-on-the-swedish-coronavirus-experiment/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s not just mission creep. It’s worse than that. They’re acting illegally - even under the very wide powers they’ve been given.

That is wrong, virus or no virus.

Warrington police’s Twitter seems like an audition to be a BBC comedian

https://twitter.com/policewarr/status/1243941892817117185?s=21
    The Police, unable to bring themselves to say the word "innocent".....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Isn't symbol rich maths still a pain in the arse to get to display (or print) consistently, though ?
    (Not a mathematician, just what I've been told.)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Good for him.
    Is there still not some uncertainty over the percentage of mild/asymptomatic cases Germany's more widespread testing might have identified, though ?
    The genuine source of the difference would be extremely interesting to know, from a public health policy point of view. I look forward to the result of the inevitable scientific enquiry into this.

One question I have - what tests is Germany using: All the lengthy, lab tests, or are they using the quick tests in combination (see South Korea)?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes of course, but the underlying report is still created using the LaTex system.

I honestly have no idea how people write papers or journals that contain a large amount of maths without it. All those "equation editors" in the likes of Word are just utter shit. The pineapple pizza / Radiohead at Glastonbury of tools.
    I dunno; I have to include equations in reports at work fairly frequently and I've gotten quite good at manipulating the Word editor to do what I want it to.

Having also watched my wife struggle with LaTeX for her PhD I wouldn't want it any different. Seems to be a horrible package.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Just seen 40 magpies on a school playing field. How many verses does that song have?

I think 40 qualifies as a "magpie wedding".

I once saw 200 in a field.
  • Options
    There are some absurd stories doing the rounds about retail. A Daily Mail "expose" on people up here shopping at The Range and B&M has created a storm on local Facebook groups "Betraying the NHS" etc. Similar madness with the police/councils advising retailers not to sell food - huh?

It should be simple. Stay home if you can. If you have to shop you can only go to retailers allowed to stay open by the government including The Range and your corner shop. Whilst there social distance to stay safe. Second-guessing things will just make it worse - and this is only week 2. Many many more weeks of this to drive people absolutely mad.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

That said, with a recent surge in deaths, Germany now looks much less of an outlier. It is recording 541 corona-dead, up over a hundred in a day.

The real outlier in Europe is Sweden, still doggedly pursuing their herd immunity strategy.
    https://twitter.com/WoodfordinDK/status/1244617603378827265?s=09

I think Sweden has a pretty low ICU capacity too.
This discussion has been closed.