Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The football season should be completed even if matches are be

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Given the circumstances we can overlook that I think. Someone has to be.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

twitter.com/matthancock/status/1243522325397622784?s=21

Bloody queue jumper...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    As I've said previously, I think until we either achieve herd immunity or get a vaccine developed we might have to close the border to the developing world.
    Does that include the US ... ?
  • Options
    Luckily Hancock doesn't sound bad at all.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    The remarkable thing about Boris’s test is not that he got one, but that he claims to have been tested yesterday evening and got the result at midnight. Clearly it can be done quickly if needs must.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    13 field hospitals being built.

Oh and the one in London is opening with 500 and not 2000 beds
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    As I've said previously, I think until we either achieve herd immunity or get a vaccine developed we might have to close the border to the developing world.
    Does that include the US ... ?
    Tbh, yes.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It has to be a high probability that one of Witty, Vallance et al. have it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Hancock too now.....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1243508875225108480

I would think about signing up, but we know how shoddy the work from that 2nd rate institution is....
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I am fairly certain that is what they said from the beginning. Open with 500, then expand to 2000 and if required could go up to a total capacity of 4000.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Nigelb said:
    That was fast. Wonder whether this is phase 2 or 3.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I would think about signing up, but we know how shoddy the work from that 2nd rate institution is....
    I'm pretty sure something will emerge from the dank fens sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    That was fast. Wonder whether this is phase 2 or 3.
    1/2 I think.
    They'll probably assess for indications of efficacy on a small scale at the same time as testing for safety.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Hancock too now.....

BBC just shown a clip of him on Wednesday walking right next to someone and wiping his runny nose on the back of his hand.

Lets hope he hasnt spread it to many.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

If Oxford beat Cambridge to this, they will never let it lie will they.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

I am fairly certain that is what they said from the beginning. Open with 500, then expand to 2000 and if required could go up to a total capacity of 4000.
    Modularity - sounds like a 500 bet unit is the module size. Build the first one to get the process sorted and then you can parallelise efforts on the next three modules etc...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

Jeez Matt Hancock too.

Good for his reputation assuming he shrugs it off. He will be like the Defence Secretary who has seen action.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

I wonder which PB posters we'd choose as dopplegangers - to take over should we be virus incapacitated.....

For me t'wouls have to be the one of many SeanTs :smiley:

Hyufd for me. Persistent, consistent and supremely confident, qualities I do not have enough of even if it's possible to have too much :)
    If the call comes...
    We duck and cover :-)
  • Options

Floater said:

Hancock too now.....

BBC just shown a clip of him on Wednesday walking right next to someone and wiping his runny nose on the back of his hand.

Lets hope he hasnt spread it to many.
    oh bloody hell......
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Nigelb said:

It appears to spread in the tropics, too.

https://twitter.com/JPSpinetto/status/1243216960537726988

Silly. People still have flu in the tropics too, but that doesn't mean its transmissibility doesn't vary with the season. Particularly in the absence of immunity, no one ever suggested the coronavirus would be incapable of spreading in warm weather. Only that it might spread more slowly.
  • Options
    Looks like the Westminster cliche are testing this herd immunity strategy.
  • Options

Modularity - sounds like a 500 bet unit is the module size. Build the first one to get the process sorted and then you can parallelise efforts on the next three modules etc...
    First i have heard that we are having 13 field hospitals Had i missed that or is it new?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

Dura_Ace said:

This is going to be like the last days of Chernenko. We'll be counting the days between his appearances and trying to work out how much makeup he's wearing.

I hope it's not too soon to ask this question, but it's a betting site, after all, so, who has the inside track in the 2020 @Dura_Ace sweepstakes?
    I think I had Prince Charles so I must be in with a shot at least.
  • Options

I can't remember the total planned - but you are right it was going to open with some capacity and then expand
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

Do you mean the Westminster clique?

If so, that is a truly awesome typo.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

First i have heard that we are having 13 field hospitals Had i missed that or is it new?
    They have briefed over the past few days 3 other sites, NEC, G-Mex and a place in Scotland, and that they were looking for more.

Matt Hancock does appear to be working around the clock on so many different things. Hopefully he isn't too knackered to fight CV off.
  • Options

Well, we want leaders who lead.....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

If Oxford beat Cambridge to this, they will never let it lie will they.
    It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    The Cambridge effort (or one of them) mentioned here is probably somewhere around the same stage:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/inside-the-race-to-develop-a-coronavirus-vaccine-covid-19

The real point is to be able to demonstrate safety (and some signs of activity) now, and to be able then to get it out into trials at scale before the next surge happens.
    Recruiting many subjects who you know have not already been infected is going to be difficult/impossible until the large scale antibody test is available.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Do you mean the Westminster clique?

If so, that is a truly awesome typo.
    It was a typo, rather than a brilliant attempt at something.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

Dura_Ace said:

This is going to be like the last days of Chernenko. We'll be counting the days between his appearances and trying to work out how much makeup he's wearing.

I hope it's not too soon to ask this question, but it's a betting site, after all, so, who has the inside track in the 2020 @Dura_Ace sweepstakes?
    @Paristonda (Johnson) or @pulpstar (Weinstein) I would say.

Fat as fuck fanny rats leading the pack at the moment.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Some very odd comments below Corbyn's and Watson's tweets on Boris having CV19. I hope they are from bots, but if not there are some quite warped twitter users.
  • Options
    Bloody hell.....

A short while ago, Associated Press filed this troubling report from Tehran, the Iranian capital where people are drinking toxic methanol in the mistaken belief it will combat the coronavirus.

Standing over the still body of an intubated 5-year-old boy wearing nothing but a plastic diaper, an Iranian health care worker in a hazmat suit and mask begged the public for just one thing: Stop drinking industrial alcohol over fears about the new coronavirus.

The boy, now blind after his parents gave him toxic methanol in the mistaken belief it protects against the virus, is just one of hundreds of victims of an epidemic inside the pandemic now gripping Iran.

Iranian media reports nearly 300 people have been killed and more than 1,000 sickened so far by ingesting methanol across the Islamic Republic, where drinking alcohol is banned and where those who do rely on bootleggers. It comes as fake remedies spread across social media in Iran, where people remain deeply suspicious of the government after it downplayed the crisis for days before it overwhelmed the country.

“The virus is spreading and people are just dying off, and I think they are even less aware of the fact that there are other dangers around,” said Dr. Knut Erik Hovda, a clinical toxicologist in Oslo who studies methanol poisoning and fears Iran’s outbreak could be even worse than reported. “When they keep drinking this, there’s going to be more people poisoned.”
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

@Paristonda (Johnson) or @pulpstar (Weinstein) I would say.

Fat as fuck fanny rats leading the pack at the moment.
    Considering Weinstein argued he was too sick to stand trial and supposedly had so many comorbidities he seems to be taking this in his stride.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Bloody hell.....

A short while ago, Associated Press filed this troubling report from Tehran, the Iranian capital where people are drinking toxic methanol in the mistaken belief it will combat the coronavirus.

Standing over the still body of an intubated 5-year-old boy wearing nothing but a plastic diaper, an Iranian health care worker in a hazmat suit and mask begged the public for just one thing: Stop drinking industrial alcohol over fears about the new coronavirus.

The boy, now blind after his parents gave him toxic methanol in the mistaken belief it protects against the virus, is just one of hundreds of victims of an epidemic inside the pandemic now gripping Iran.

Iranian media reports nearly 300 people have been killed and more than 1,000 sickened so far by ingesting methanol across the Islamic Republic, where drinking alcohol is banned and where those who do rely on bootleggers. It comes as fake remedies spread across social media in Iran, where people remain deeply suspicious of the government after it downplayed the crisis for days before it overwhelmed the country.

“The virus is spreading and people are just dying off, and I think they are even less aware of the fact that there are other dangers around,” said Dr. Knut Erik Hovda, a clinical toxicologist in Oslo who studies methanol poisoning and fears Iran’s outbreak could be even worse than reported. “When they keep drinking this, there’s going to be more people poisoned.”

At this rate there isn't going to be of Iran left.
  • Options
    In other sobering news

Talks have been held about setting up a temporary mortuary at Birmingham Airport with space for up to 12,000 bodies in a worst-case scenario amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The airport is next to Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre, which has already been mooted as a possible location for a temporary field hospital.

It is understood that any airport facility could initially have space for 2,500 bodies, increasing to up to 12,000, if needed.
  • Options
    Hancocks been standing too close to people for ages

https://twitter.com/FormulaWin/status/1204697896064618496
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1243509541683302401?s=20

Inappropriate, but funny. Get well soon Bozza.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

TGOHF666 said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Mysticrose is right.

Stop.
    Is there some PB delusion that I am mysticrose???

That’s genuinely hilarious. You guys are bonkers.
    Desist.
    No. I shall now interact with mysticrose much more, so as to torment you
    The only person you seem to be tormenting is yourself.
    YOU believe this as well??

Lol!
    I would hope that if Sean created his own Titania McGrath type spoof then they would be 90% obnoxiously woke - not 80% like Mysticrose.

Also Mystic posts early in the morning which rules Sean out.
    It is very hard to maintain two (or how many are we up to now?) personas with different views, let alone different writing styles (which Sean doesn't - they all have his typical rhetorical flourishes, ticks, and vocab). Hence Mysticrose's late conversion to Borisism I suppose.

We are not supposed to talk about this, so I will stop, and frankly I'm not bothered - we all post with varying degrees of anonymity here, there's no reason Sean should not have the same entitlement. Between him posting with MPD and not posting at all I would still prefer the former.
    Hence why each new account has so easily been uncovered.

Our bigjohn and BigG are putting our C-list authors to shame on how to master differential characterisation.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

twitter.com/tompeck/status/1243509541683302401?s=20

Inappropriate, but funny. Get well soon Bozza.

Well, it made me chuckle...does that make me an arsehole?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    dr_spyn said:

Some very odd comments below Corbyn's and Watson's tweets on Boris having CV19. I hope they are from bots, but if not there are some quite warped twitter users.

Nothing so hateful as the souls of people who declaim that they are the truly compassionate ones.
  • Options
    One bright note for the US Economy

Mexico has not only agreed to pay for the Wall but help build the f***ker quick
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Scott_xP said:
    Dom is starting to look like E. Gadd from Luigi's Mansion.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Trump gave this interview overnight.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1243355519818928128
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    IanB2 said:
    So had Bill Clinton, but that didn't stop him.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    Or they close their borders to us.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:
    At the moment not 1 of the top 10 countries with Covid 19 is in Africa or Latin America, that may change but for now it is most prominent in colder countries just coming out of winter
    There are other factors, of course.
    Availability of testing; amount of international air travel etc.

Most scientists looking at this say you can't draw any significant conclusions about climate for now.
    In terms of cases per capita, every one of the top 20 countries is in Europe, except Montserrat (if you count that as a country). The common factor is frequent connections to Italy, and no doubt lots of testing compared to many other countries. It would be nice if it doesn't spread as easily in the warm weather, but I don't think there is the evidence for that yet.

New Orleans has 1000 cases and is quite warm: 24-29 degrees C today.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:
    The Democrats seem to have given up completely on 2020, and hoping that someone will emerge for 2024.

The old Dem Nom Betfair market, that I'd not been looking at for a while, has gone completely mad now, with ten layable candidates. (four of whom can be laid below 40, and seven below 500). Andrew Cuomo is the man on the move, he's now 32-36.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28009878/multi-market?marketIds=1.128161111
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:
    At the moment not 1 of the top 10 countries with Covid 19 is in Africa or Latin America, that may change but for now it is most prominent in colder countries just coming out of winter
    There are other factors, of course.
    Availability of testing; amount of international air travel etc.

Most scientists looking at this say you can't draw any significant conclusions about climate for now.
    In terms of cases per capita, every one of the top 20 countries is in Europe, except Montserrat (if you count that as a country). The common factor is frequent connections to Italy, and no doubt lots of testing compared to many other countries. It would be nice if it doesn't spread as easily in the warm weather, but I don't think there is the evidence for that yet.

New Orleans has 1000 cases and is quite warm: 24-29 degrees C today.
    According to my friends in lockdown in Varese in Northern Italy it is bloody cold and snowing there at the moment
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Gabs3 said:

How is a parliamentary candidate this gornlessly stupid?
    https://twitter.com/abcpoppins/status/1243506233027543042

her mother in law passed away yesterday. i suspect its grief speaking
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting article IMO:

"Coronavirus will change nothing
    The Black Death shows that after a pandemic, life goes on as before
    By Ben Gummer"

https://unherd.com/2020/03/coronavirus-will-change-nothing

Didn't the Black Death cause a massive jump in labourer wages and precipitate the end of feudalism?

Pretty significant impact IMHO
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

From what I've heard generally most cases start off quite "mild".

The first day or so all you have is a dry cough and possibly a sore throat. Around days 2-3 the fever kicks in with general "flu-like symptoms - aches, chills etc.

Around day 5 onwards is when it gets to the lungs and things can rapidly deteriorate from there... Most who need mechanical intervention do so from around day 8)

Whelp that sounds like the more than Cold not quite Flu I had in mid-Feb which finished after a couple of days of lungs full of crud when the fever suddenly went. I coughed up crud for a week afterward. Interestingly I had a couple of incidences of diarrhea which a couple of sites list as an uncommon symptom which I couldn't pin to either food, IBS or medication side effect.

Particularly concerning as I tick 3 of the high-risk boxes and came down with it the week following visits to both my dentist & the health center to have my annual bloods taken.

I do wonder how much of the country has actually had it already.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Trump gave this interview overnight.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1243355519818928128

If only the Democrats had not shot their bolt seeking impeachment because Trump was trying to find out if their candidate was corrupt or just terminally stupid.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

GIN1138 said:

From what I've heard generally most cases start off quite "mild".

The first day or so all you have is a dry cough and possibly a sore throat. Around days 2-3 the fever kicks in with general "flu-like symptoms - aches, chills etc.

Around day 5 onwards is when it gets to the lungs and things can rapidly deteriorate from there... Most who need mechanical intervention do so from around day 8)

Whelp that sounds like the more than Cold not quite Flu I had in mid-Feb which finished after a couple of days of lungs full of crud when the fever suddenly went. I coughed up crud for a week afterward. Interestingly I had a couple of incidences of diarrhea which a couple of sites list as an uncommon symptom which I couldn't pin to either food, IBS or medication side effect.

Particularly concerning as I tick 3 of the high-risk boxes and came down with it the week following visits to both my dentist & the health center to have my annual bloods taken.

I do wonder how much of the country has actually had it already.

One of our best friends has been in bed for 5 days with diarrhea - no other symptoms as far as I know. Who knows - maybe that was a mild Covid-19?
This discussion has been closed.