Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Cameron once said Dominic Cummings was a ‘career psychop

Comments

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,223
    alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Coronavirus: ‘strange pneumonia’ seen in Lombardy in November, leading Italian doctor says

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3076334/coronavirus-strange-pneumonia-seen-lombardy-november-leading
    Virus was circulating ‘before we were aware of the outbreak in China’, says Giuseppe Remuzzi, director of the Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research

Chinese media outlets seem very keen to promote this narrative...
    Interesting, they have yet to find out what pneumonia my wife had/has, over a month in HDU and they could not work out what it was and still don't know. Her recovery is patchy at best as well.
    My dad is convinced he got it in South Africa. Not likely, but still...
    There was the strange case of the English cricket team's flu outbreak in South Africa last December.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    MaxPB said:

All McDonalds to close from 7pm tomorrow.
    All staff on zero hrs contracts furloughed

No deliveries either? Seems like an oversight.
    Bo complete closedown the 80% was too tempting from a business viewpoint
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2020

MaxPB said:

The company doesn't make any money from the 80%, that will all be going to the staff.

Given they have Drive Thru's I'm surprised they're all closing.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

MaxPB said:

McDonalds not doing deliveries is surely adding to the health of the nation
    Pagan2 said:

presumably they will get 80% of previous months wages
    Average of last 13 weeks at 80%
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,553

MaxPB said:

The company doesn't make any money from the 80%, that will all be going to the staff.
    It saves money by not paying them, obvs.

Pagan2 said:

presumably they will get 80% of previous months wages
    Average of last 13 weeks at 80%
    Nods well not so bad then at least
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

McDonalds not doing deliveries is surely adding to the health of the nation
    Or to the food crisis.

MaxPB said:

Given they have Drive Thru's I'm surprised they're all closing.
    No but presumably better than paying staff when seating is shut?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

alex_ said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Coronavirus: ‘strange pneumonia’ seen in Lombardy in November, leading Italian doctor says

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3076334/coronavirus-strange-pneumonia-seen-lombardy-november-leading
    Virus was circulating ‘before we were aware of the outbreak in China’, says Giuseppe Remuzzi, director of the Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research

Interesting, they have yet to find out what pneumonia my wife had/has, over a month in HDU and they could not work out what it was and still don't know. Her recovery is patchy at best as well.
    My dad is convinced he got it in South Africa. Not likely, but still...
    There was the strange case of the English cricket team's flu outbreak in South Africa last December.
    Of course - and that’s why he was there...
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,498
    edited March 2020
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

David Spiegelhalter (Professor of the Public Understanding of Risk at Cambridge) is always good at his job, here's his take on COVID-19. Apologies if you've seen it before. Worth looking at the website to see the graph. His point is that whatever your risk of dying is in a year (which varies based on age) is pretty close to your risk of dying if you catch COVID-19.

https://medium.com/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196

So, roughly speaking, we might say that getting COVID-19 is like packing a year’s worth of risk into a week or two. Which is why it’s important to spread out the infections to avoid the NHS being overwhelmed.

It’s important to note that all the risks quoted are the average (mean) risks for people of the relevant age, but are not the risks of the average person! This is because, both for COVID and in normal circumstances, much of the risk is held by people whom are already chronically ill. So for the large majority of healthy people, their risks of either dying from COVID, or dying of something else, are much lower than those quoted here. Although of course for every death there will be others who are seriously ill.

Also, as Triggle points out, there will be substantial overlap in these two groups — many people who die of COVID would have died anyway within a short period — and so these risks cannot be simply added, and it does not simply double the risk of people who get infected. It is crucially important that the NHS is not overwhelmed, but if COVID deaths can be kept in the order of say 20,000 by stringent suppression measures, as is now being suggested, there may end up being a minimal impact on overall mortality for 2020 (although background mortality could increase due to pressures on the health services and the side-effects of isolation). Although, as we are seeing, at vast cost.

This may rationally explain why some younger pub goers in Glasgow are doubtful about the policy. In an area and social group where male life expectancy is short, why abolish fun of every sort for party and pub goers so that middle class old people in Oxfordshire and Morningside can live a little longer in a care home at the cost not only of fun now ("youth's a thing will not endure"), but at the cost of millions of working class jobs and prospects, the world economy and future fun. None of the pointy heads are making that argument right now, and indeed I am not either, but it may have force in the long run.

I suspect Boris is instinctively always on the side of 'fun now, draw conclusions later' school. He may be finding all this a little hard going.

Which area of Glasgow did you think the younger pub goers came from, many areas of Glagow will have longer life expectancy than your other examples. Typical short sighted thick southern ignoramus opinion methinks, or even worse an arsehole Scottish unionist.
    I didn't think there have been cases of pubs staying open in Glasgow? Using the old 'they're all the same' measure, the poster may be thinking of Greenock.

Had occasion to drive along Shettleston Rd yesterday (ground zero of supposed low male life expectancy) and every single drinking hole was closed, and pretty much everything else.

Edit: I just checked & I believe the Bristol bar & Loudon Taverns were louping last night. Darwinism in action.

https://twitter.com/MartyyLee/status/1241450012002959362?s=20
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Pagan2 said:

I have posted a couple of links before for things to do for the self isolating may I add this one if anyone enjoys settlers of Catan

https://colonist.io/#

Thanks for that!

I used to love playing that game
    Is it 80% before tax?
    A view and not necessarily a correct one but one I am pondering

This is the first major pandemic probably since 1918 that has affected all countries. Is this a once in a lifetime event or as I suspect one that will recur more freqently in our interconnected world. The suspicion is that even 1918 wouldn't have occured worldwide probably without the 1st world war and the mass movement of people
    Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

I have posted a couple of links before for things to do for the self isolating may I add this one if anyone enjoys settlers of Catan

https://colonist.io/#

Thanks for that!

I used to love playing that game
    welcome and you can create a game then give friends a link to it
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

David Spiegelhalter (Professor of the Public Understanding of Risk at Cambridge) is always good at his job, here's his take on COVID-19. Apologies if you've seen it before. Worth looking at the website to see the graph. His point is that whatever your risk of dying is in a year (which varies based on age) is pretty close to your risk of dying if you catch COVID-19.

https://medium.com/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196

So, roughly speaking, we might say that getting COVID-19 is like packing a year’s worth of risk into a week or two. Which is why it’s important to spread out the infections to avoid the NHS being overwhelmed.

It’s important to note that all the risks quoted are the average (mean) risks for people of the relevant age, but are not the risks of the average person! This is because, both for COVID and in normal circumstances, much of the risk is held by people whom are already chronically ill. So for the large majority of healthy people, their risks of either dying from COVID, or dying of something else, are much lower than those quoted here. Although of course for every death there will be others who are seriously ill.

Also, as Triggle points out, there will be substantial overlap in these two groups — many people who die of COVID would have died anyway within a short period — and so these risks cannot be simply added, and it does not simply double the risk of people who get infected. It is crucially important that the NHS is not overwhelmed, but if COVID deaths can be kept in the order of say 20,000 by stringent suppression measures, as is now being suggested, there may end up being a minimal impact on overall mortality for 2020 (although background mortality could increase due to pressures on the health services and the side-effects of isolation). Although, as we are seeing, at vast cost.

This may rationally explain why some younger pub goers in Glasgow are doubtful about the policy. In an area and social group where male life expectancy is short, why abolish fun of every sort for party and pub goers so that middle class old people in Oxfordshire and Morningside can live a little longer in a care home at the cost not only of fun now ("youth's a thing will not endure"), but at the cost of millions of working class jobs and prospects, the world economy and future fun. None of the pointy heads are making that argument right now, and indeed I am not either, but it may have force in the long run.

I suspect Boris is instinctively always on the side of 'fun now, draw conclusions later' school. He may be finding all this a little hard going.

Which area of Glasgow did you think the younger pub goers came from, many areas of Glagow will have longer life expectancy than your other examples. Typical short sighted thick southern ignoramus opinion methinks, or even worse an arsehole Scottish unionist.
    I didn't think there have been cases of pubs staying open in Glasgow? Using the old 'they're all the same' measure, the poster may be thinking of Greenock.

Had occasion to drive along Shettleston Rd yesterday (ground zero of supposed low male life expectancy) and every single drinking hole was closed, and pretty much everything else.
    Yes , most likely it was your usual thick unionist who believes everybody lives in Glasgow and has life expectancy of a hamster. Just the expert opinion on Scotland you expect on here.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

Yes , most likely it was your usual thick unionist who believes everybody lives in Glasgow and has life expectancy of a hamster. Just the expert opinion on Scotland you expect on here.
    On the subject of strange animal parts in the food chain wasnt a pizza place in scotland offering a spicy aardvark topping?
    Pagan2 said:

This is the first major pandemic probably since 1918 that has affected all countries. Is this a once in a lifetime event or as I suspect one that will recur more freqently in our interconnected world. The suspicion is that even 1918 wouldn't have occured worldwide probably without the 1st world war and the mass movement of people

It’s the most deadly (we expect) major pandemic. But lower level ones occur more often. And they might occur less frequently in future if people stop eating bats.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2020
    Some suddenly really promising figures all across Europe today. Lowest ever growth rates in Italy (10%) and France (11%). Really big drops in Spain (12%), Germany (12%), UK (13%), Switzerland (9%).

Interesting these should all happen on the same day, across countries using different approaches - perhaps suggesting how much of a factor cross-continental travel is in the spread.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226
    Nigelb said:

My new favourite eccentric mathematician....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck
    ....He gave lectures on category theory in the forests surrounding Hanoi while the city was being bombed, to protest against the Vietnam War....
    ... His growing preoccupation with spiritual matters was also evident in a letter titled Lettre de la Bonne Nouvelle sent to 250 friends in January 1990. In it, he described his encounters with a deity and announced that a "New Age" would commence on 14 October 1996....

He was only off by six months and 17 days!
    alex_ said:

Is it 80% before tax?

For a lot of McDonald employees who are part time the 80% gross will work out with little or no tax.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Has he updated this after today’s figures?

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1241702863530799104?s=21
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

It saves money by not paying them, obvs.
    Yes but I'd have thought Drive Thrus could be very popular right now.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Without opining on the substance of the measures, I have no problem with Johnson's demeanour and tone in these briefings. It works OK for me.

People are desperate for us to be treated like children, or for an authoritarian regime. Today was Sunday, and Mother’s Day, obviously tomorrow and the rest of the week will see fewer people out and about in parks etc
    With schools and businesses shut up and down the country I wouldn't rely upon Monday seeing parks be massively less popular.
    My wife is home schooling my daughter tomorrow. She has spent the weekend timetabling, lesson planning and printing study material.

Everything has been planned out for school between 10am and 3pm in our house.

She’s probably the only one in the country to do this!
    LOL! I'm curious how many here are going to be in that situation? Never thought it would happen but I'm at home tomorrow homeschooling my children as my wife's a "key worker" and I'm not.
    We use this amazing teacher called Professor iPad.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    alex_ said:

So the government advice for over 70s is clear, stay in your home and no you shouldn't go out for any reason, including for a walk.

So I presume Jezza will still be in the HoC on Monday morning.

Is it? I thought it was just the 1500 people they are writing to personally. They aren’t writing to every 70 year old in the country.
    That's what I thought.
    alex_ said:

Is it 80% before tax?

The payments are non taxable, I believe. So the 80% allows for tax
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    Alistair said:
    He should probably do a second test given he's asymptomatic, could be a false positive.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    Worldometer has just changed US numbers downwards:

Now 8,000 new cases today, not 14,000.

So maybe some confusion, double counting.

But number of US deaths just amended upwards - now 112 today (SO FAR) - previous highest day was 57 so a very bad deaths number.
    edited March 2020

alex_ said:

Is it 80% before tax?

For a lot of McDonald employees who are part time the 80% gross will work out with little or no tax.
    A friend of mine who was really worried before Sunak's announcement not thinks if she is laid off due to not commuting and the uprise on working tax credit she will actually be 30£ a month better off
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Andrew said:

Some suddenly really promising figures all across Europe today. Lowest ever growth rates in Italy (10%) and France (11%). Really big drops in Spain (12%), Germany (12%), UK (13%).

Interesting these should all happen on the same day, across countries using different approaches - perhaps suggesting how much of a factor cross-continental travel is in the spread.

Encouraging but let's see the trend continue in the coming days before we break open the moderately priced sparkling wine.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    I know the USA has stopped flights arriving from the UK, but have we stopped flights arriving from the US yet ?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    Shutting down all economic activity could possibly cost lives as well. That has to be taken into account.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    My father's friend drove past his golf club , said the car park was packed.
    Is the bar at the club allowed to be open ?
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Pagan2 said:

The HIV/AIDS pandemic has infected 75 million people and killed 32 million, as of 2018. It continues to kill around 770,000 people each year. At its peak of mortality in the mid-2000s, it was killing almost 2 million people per year.

It has impacted every country on Earth, albeit unequally. Perhaps because of the time-scale, these deaths being spaced out over several decades, or because in the West it has primarily affected certain high-risk groups who have at times been at the fringes of society (e.g. men who have sex with men, intravenous drug users, sex workers) it might not pop automatically into everyone's head as a nasty pandemic that we've lived through, but it is nasty, we have lived through it, and the world is largely getting on top of it even if we are a long way from "beating" it...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,660

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Without opining on the substance of the measures, I have no problem with Johnson's demeanour and tone in these briefings. It works OK for me.

People are desperate for us to be treated like children, or for an authoritarian regime. Today was Sunday, and Mother’s Day, obviously tomorrow and the rest of the week will see fewer people out and about in parks etc
    With schools and businesses shut up and down the country I wouldn't rely upon Monday seeing parks be massively less popular.
    My wife is home schooling my daughter tomorrow. She has spent the weekend timetabling, lesson planning and printing study material.

Everything has been planned out for school between 10am and 3pm in our house.

She’s probably the only one in the country to do this!
    LOL! I'm curious how many here are going to be in that situation? Never thought it would happen but I'm at home tomorrow homeschooling my children as my wife's a "key worker" and I'm not.
    She isn't the only one, my sister has been doing the same with her two children, two foster children and Spanish English student all last week and for the foreseeable.
    Andy_JS said:

Shutting down all economic activity could possibly cost lives as well. That has to be taken into account.

It could which is why it was important business could go into hibernation and their staff be protected so once the spring of this comes we can like the snowdrop blossom
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

Is it 80% before tax?

Isn’t that a pay increase for some then? Or is it 80% of pay after tax/no/pension?

Pagan2 said:

The HIV/AIDS pandemic has infected 75 million people and killed 32 million, as of 2018. It continues to kill around 770,000 people each year. At its peak of mortality in the mid-2000s, it was killing almost 2 million people per year.

It has impacted every country on Earth, albeit unequally. Perhaps because of the time-scale, these deaths being spaced out over several decades, or because in the West it has primarily affected certain high-risk groups who have at times been at the fringes of society (e.g. men who have sex with men, intravenous drug users, sex workers) it might not pop automatically into everyone's head as a nasty pandemic that we've lived through, but it is nasty, we have lived through it, and the world is largely getting on top of it even if we are a long way from "beating" it...
    Aids was largely ignored, both because in western countries it mainly targetted high risk groups that were marginalised and also the fact it wasn't something you caught just walking down the street. Mostly you had to undertake risky behaviour to catch it
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    Andrew said:

Some suddenly really promising figures all across Europe today. Lowest ever growth rates in Italy (10%) and France (11%). Really big drops in Spain (12%), Germany (12%), UK (13%), Switzerland (9%).

Is that cases or fatalities?
    alex_ said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

Is it 80% before tax?

Isn’t that a pay increase for some then? Or is it 80% of pay after tax/no/pension?
    Given the payment is capped and you’re not benefiting from the personal tax allowances, no.
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Merkel bans meetings of more than two....

Well if that happens here, bang goes my sex life.
    Is that how your mother in law got infected ?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    isam said:

Our 281 is less than their 366 of two weeks ago. Or, on a different measure, we have gained half a day.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,498
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

Time to explore sex with someone you really, REALLY love.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    Andrew said:

I hope so, but there is another factor that all these countries share, which could be the reason why the numbers are not so large today. It is Sunday.
    Pulpstar said:

I know the USA has stopped flights arriving from the UK, but have we stopped flights arriving from the US yet ?

Aren't we trying to get back everyone who thought it was a good time to go on holiday ?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    stodge said:

Andrew said:

Some suddenly really promising figures all across Europe today. Lowest ever growth rates in Italy (10%) and France (11%). Really big drops in Spain (12%), Germany (12%), UK (13%).

Encouraging but let's see the trend continue in the coming days before we break open the moderately priced sparkling wine.
    Or is it just a weekend oddity? Hope not the shutdown out here in Valencia started Saturday 14th so is on it’s eight day so let’s hope the progress continues, it still is a growing pressure on the health services though so that explains the extension to 11/4
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,957
    Interesting thoughts on the current epidemic from survivors of the Spanish Flu.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1241768491683909635

Nigelb said:

Why? It fits with the theory that China had been concealing it for months.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,675
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

It could which is why it was important business could go into hibernation and their staff be protected so once the spring of this comes we can like the snowdrop blossom
    That is very much based on the idea that this will all be over in three months and things will go back to normal. That seems very unlikely right now, aggregate demand is going to be severely depressed for the next year and the analysts are currently predicting the economic shock will be two to three times as severe as the 2008 GFC.

People are still treating this like it's a blizzard that will soon blow over, when it is actually a year long winter. Many will lose their jobs over the coming months as businesses downsize.
    eadric said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

This is why we need an antibody test, I had a bad flu beginning of feb with all corona symptoms got better only to have it resurge 2 weeks late total 10 days on my back. Was it normal flu or corona ....no idea. Did for the first time in a while give me asthma symptoms of not being able to breathe though and still not back to full steam
    If I had it back in late January/early February then my experience is similar to yours. It came and went and I am still not quite 100%. I have some faint shortness of breath I didn’t have before.

It’s nothing terrible but it is noticeable. It lingers.
    It does but I have no idea whether it was it or not nor will I claim it before I get tested positive. I don't as a rule get knocked flat by a cold and rarely have had flu (this would be only the third time) but it was a doozy
    I think 80% payments must be taxable.

Otherwise you would be much better off with no NI as well as no Income Tax.

Govt has said employer can top up to 100% implying that you are worse off so must be taxable.

However as stated people will save travel and other associated costs plus maybe gain benefits so all in all very little if any loss for most people.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,123

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

OGH ?
    MikeL said:

Govt has said employer can top up to 100% implying that you are worse off so must be taxable.

However as stated people will save travel and other associated costs plus maybe gain benefits so all in all very little if any loss for most people.

I'm assuming the 80% is gross but the government will pay the net amount net of Tax/NI - which makes no real difference to the employee bar the 80%.
    kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

That is very much based on the idea that this will all be over in three months and things will go back to normal. That seems very unlikely right now, aggregate demand is going to be severely depressed for the next year and the analysts are currently predicting the economic shock will be two to three times as severe as the 2008 GFC.

People are still treating this like it's a blizzard that will soon blow over, when it is actually a year long winter. Many will lose their jobs over the coming months as businesses downsize.
    I have no doubt we are heading into a recession, I am less convinced that carrying on as normal wouldnt have produced a worse one
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

So, from Lombardy and Veneto, the heart of Italy's CV-19 crisis:

New cases in Lombardy increased by 1,691 today against 3,251 yesterday and 2,380 the day before.

New cases in Veneto increased by 505 today against 586 and 549.

So, encouraging from both regions. (Although the Lombardy drop looks suspciously large.)

Perhaps the most encouraging number in all the figures out of Italy was the percentage positive, which at 22% is the lowest for some time.

That is the best news in a while. Total lockdown works, perhaps, as well in the west as it does in the East.

But two points.

How long can you sustain the economic damage?

And

What happens when you unshackle the people, and the virus returns?

Until we have a vaccine or effective treatment this is going to menace us and kill us in numbers.
    As I said previously, this idea of “total lockdown” in China is utter bollocks. For weeks the Chinese authorities denied there was a problem before imposing a total lockdown in Hubei and neighbouring provinces (but not everywhere) prior to which people were moving from Hubei to elsewhere in the country as normal. China is not a poster boy for management of this shite. They don’t get let off persecuting the doctor who blew the whistle on this. I am not sure what lessons to take from China but its lockdown was late and not implemented uniformly. We should look at all aspects of their response (including their figures) with caution.
    eadric said:

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

This is why we need an antibody test, I had a bad flu beginning of feb with all corona symptoms got better only to have it resurge 2 weeks late total 10 days on my back. Was it normal flu or corona ....no idea. Did for the first time in a while give me asthma symptoms of not being able to breathe though and still not back to full steam
    If I had it back in late January/early February then my experience is similar to yours. It came and went and I am still not quite 100%. I have some faint shortness of breath I didn’t have before.

It does but I have no idea whether it was it or not nor will I claim it before I get tested positive. I don't as a rule get knocked flat by a cold and rarely have had flu (this would be only the third time) but it was a doozy
    Mine wasn’t that bad at the time. I’m inclined to believe it was corona because of that weird symptom of excessive dry coughing fits which can keep you up all night. That’s quite distinct.

Until they develop an antibody test I cannot know.
    Mine was really bad and despite the fact my asthma is purely allergy related I got through 2 inhalers in 2 weeks while trying to breath thinking it was normal flu that had triggered it
    MikeL said:

The payments are made to businesses, not employees, and aren’t (I believe) to be taxed as business income. It’s then up to businesses to pay their employees, and those payments would be subject to deductions. So employees won’t be better off as, unless the employer tops it up, their gross pay is cut by 20%.

Whether the employer has to pay employers’ NI (and pension contributions) on top of the salary is a detail they probably haven’t thought of yet.

MikeL said:

I'm assuming the 80% is gross but the government will pay the net amount net of Tax/NI - which makes no real difference to the employee bar the 80%.
    Yes, agreed.

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

OGH ?
    Orgy with SeanT, Mysticrose, and Byronic.
    Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Mine wasn’t that bad at the time. I’m inclined to believe it was corona because of that weird symptom of excessive dry coughing fits which can keep you up all night. That’s quite distinct.

Until they develop an antibody test I cannot know.
    Mine was really bad and despite the fact my asthma is purely allergy related I got through 2 inhalers in 2 weeks while trying to breath thinking it was normal flu that had triggered it
    I kind of hope it was Covid not to be selfish but as I said before I am one of a three man team that each takes a week covering 24/7 support for software necessary to the running of several hospitals and at least would mean that one person was definitely available
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159

isam said:

Our 281 is less than their 366 of two weeks ago. Or, on a different measure, we have gained half a day.
    We seem to be at the point where Italy really took off - the next few days' figures will be key
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

OGH ?
    Sounds like the Holy Trinity: 'Three in One, and One in Three' :wink:
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Channel 4 just run a clear advert from Chris Whitty on what to do if you have a high temperature.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Pulpstar said:

When I looked on flight radar this morning, there was a Virgin Atlantic flight coming in from Orlando.

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

OGH ?
    Are you not assuming mysticrose is not inclined to her own gender here?
    This will surely turn tomorrow’s markets downwards:

Donald Trump is scheduled to speak at 5pm ET but it looks like the $1tn package to help the battered US economy is in trouble. The Republican-majority Senate is looking to vote despite disagreement from Democrats in Congress. Speaker Nancy Pelosi even said on Sunday that House Democrats may look to pursue their own legislation. “It’s on the Senate side now because that’s their deadline for a vote,” Pelosi said. “But we’ll be introducing our own bill and hopefully, it will be compatible with what they discussed in the Senate.”
    Those US numbers are very scary.

To make a betting point (yes yes I know and it is the point of this site) I wonder if Trump truly is real value to lay now. He's still close to evens.

What I can't work out is whether he'd benefit from a rally round the flag effect and do whatever it takes (including quasi socialist measures) over the next 6 months to win.

I think he might because winning is all that matters to him.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    stodge said:

Andrew said:

Do we not need to first normalise for changes in testing patterns? I see it as likely that Sat/Sun sees lower levels than the rest of the week. % of tests returned as positive is perhaps a better metric.

In other news, "lockdown" is beginning to take effect. My high street in N London is not quite at ghost town levels, but it's got to be 80% quieter than usual for a Sunday evening
  • BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

algarkirk said:

“The oldies destroyed my future by voting for Brexitand not satisfied they’re destroying my present by forcing us all indoor for weeks/months for their own protection”
    That is just a horrible post - shame on you
    Nonetheless, there is a section of society that feels that way. They see the Boomer's generation as having had it all and their generation having their future mortgaged by the elderly

Google "Boomer Remover"...
    Boomers’ parents would appear to be those at risk.
    given boomers are from 1946 onwards that would make them 74 to 64 they seem right in the target zone I dont imaging to many 74 year olds have living parents nor 64 year olds for that matter

Wrong definition. I think boomer ends in 1964 so easy to have parents i their eighties. I do.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Half of men and a third of women are selfish d*ckheads that aren't willing to make the slightest change to their routines even when other people will die.
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1241788968930344964
    I could turn into a right wing libertarian over this crisis.
  • DensparkDenspark Posts: 68

isam said:

Though as the UK population is 10% larger if we were tracking their curve we'd have been on just over 400 by now.

Uk population is younger though so.....

To make a betting point (yes yes I know and it is the point of this site) I wonder if Trump truly is real value to lay now. He's still close to evens.

What I can't work out is whether he'd benefit from a rally round the flag effect and do whatever it takes (including quasi socialist measures) over the next 6 months to win.

As our friend Mr Smithson (Jr) keeps pointing out, Trump was already running a more than quasi-socialist spending policy. Increasing taxes in the next six months would harm rather than help him, and any changes to healthcare provision wouldn't be noticed in time. I'm curious as to what else you might have had in mind?

In any event, I think so many people in the US are going to die in that period that it simply wouldn't make any difference what Trump tries. The only question for me is whether the deaths will be sufficiently spread out to finish him off - swing voters in Wisconsin probably aren't that interested in health crises in New York and California.

isam said:

Somebody will be along to helpfully recalibrate the graphs shortly.

On a more serious note - has anyone attempted to produce predictions of future cases and timescales in line with the Government's "hopeful" 20,000 deaths target. How do we get from 280 deaths total and 50 new per day. To 20,000 deaths (by July? November? April next year? over 3 years).

We're extrapolating tiny numbers from tiny numbers to project forward at the moment, with no idea how it might align with Government expectations.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,859
    Gabs3 said:

Half of men and a third of women are selfish d*ckheads that aren't willing to make the slightest change to their routines even when other people will die.

I'm transitioning to Ecoauthoritarian. Wor Lass has been there for a while.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,345
    edited March 2020
    Gabs3 said:

Jesus Christ, its not just the youngsters, look at the % of over 50s....They are going to crash the NHS in no time.
    Pagan2 said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

OGH ?
    Are you not assuming mysticrose is not inclined to her own gender here?
    I entirely missed the mysticrose incarnation. How was she different from the others?
    By the way, is the number of lives limited like a Time Lord?

Gabs3 said:

Jesus Christ, its not just the youngsters, look at the % of over 50s....They are going to crash the NHS in no time.
    Maybe "as normal" is "rarely, if ever" anyway? ;)
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020

Gabs3 said:

That depends what it means. I’m still “going out as normal”, mostly walking the dog, but keeping my distance from people. I would have answered yes to the survey, yet reckon my risk is negligible. I’m just not going out as normal so much, since so much is closed.

There are also tons of key workers who would also answer yes.
    alex_ said:

Gabs3 said:

Maybe "as normal" is "rarely, if ever" anyway? ;)
    Over-50s are often very social. No longer exhausted from running around kids all the time.
    Gabs3 said:

Interesting; I'm going the other way. I started out as a right wing libertarian and now I'm questioning why I ever thought the idea of a free press was a good idea.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,675
    Gabs3 said:

I wonder if it's possible that the relatively smaller number of men willing to change their habits over this is a factor in more men dying of it.

Could it be that male propensity towards lax hygiene habits and sheer stubbornness will finally kill us off?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

Today, I planted an apple tree.

I hope to post a photo tomorrow.

In these darkest times, nature will help us cope.

Bravo.

'To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.'
    edited March 2020
    It seems regardless of the government approach, the public have decided that they are going to test the herd immunity strategy to destruction....absolute f##king dickheads.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Have you seen that Florida got prioritised for federal Coronavirus aid over other non-swing states that requested aid earlier?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Gabs3 said:

They are the ones that say that if they don’t make it illegal to go out there cant be that much of a problem so I’ll carry on as normal til they do.

Gabs3 said:

If that's from Tuesday then it's from when people were still going into work and only a day or so after he'd *advised* people not to got to pubs and restaurants.
    Endillion said:

Gabs3 said:

Interesting; I'm going the other way. I started out as a right wing libertarian and now I'm questioning why I ever thought the idea of a free press was a good idea.
    Not that I doubt necessarily that the survey is true merely in my experience there are a sizeable number of women who will give the answer they think is right not what they actually do having seen how some I have lived with have filled out previous surveys maybe the same is true the other way but never lived with men so no experience
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Pulpstar said:

It hasn't stopped flights - as we chat there are a BA 747 and 777 in the air on the way to JFK - what it has stopped is non-US Citizens from flying from the UK to the USA.
    Any confirmation that all McDonalds are closing? Not seeing that news elsewhere.
    Endillion said:

Gabs3 said:

I'm getting more libertarian as the restrictions increase. I hate my options and movements being restricted - it brings back unhappy memories of boarding school.

I think a free *press* is fine. It's unconstrained free posting in the twattosphere that's the issue - full of fake news, hyperbole, confirmation bias and bullshit.

Best analogy I can think of is to why representative democracy is good but absolute democracy poor.
    nichomar said:

Gabs3 said:

They are the ones that say that if they don’t make it illegal to go out there cant be that much of a problem so I’ll carry on as normal til they do.
    I find it mind blowing. It was one thing when it was other in China, but we have had weeks of this now and especially day in day out footage of the horrors of Italy. There can't be anybody in the country who hasn't heard about this.

Even if the government messaging hasn't been firm enough, how the f##k do people think we are any different from Italy, Spain, France, America.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267

Today, I planted an apple tree.

I hope to post a photo tomorrow.

In these darkest times, nature will help us cope.

Bravo.

'To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.'
    Or, in the words of Candide “il faut cultiver notre jardin“.
    Alistair said:

Have you seen that Florida got prioritised for federal Coronavirus aid over other non-swing states that requested aid earlier?
    No?

Gabs3 said:

I'm transitioning to Ecoauthoritarian. Wor Lass has been there for a while.
    Possibly the prospect of governments’ restricting people’s activities and lifestyle choices won’t be so scary after all this. Or possibly we won’t want to go there ever again.
    I noticed CH4 news couldn't help the sly dig at Boris slip of the tongue over Mothers Day. Its just absolutely pathetic and undermining the message about the seriousness of all of this.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

Any confirmation that all McDonalds are closing? Not seeing that news elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsUK/status/1241824519280566274?s=20
This discussion has been closed.