Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Budgeting for a crisis

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    nichomar said:

JM1 said:

Is there a book on when marshal law is implemented?

I'm not joking either.

This is an over-reaction, surely? They haven't had to do this in Italy or Spain, so why would that be necessary here???
    No not marshall aw but there are military police on the streets in big cities helping out. Spain has over double the number of police officers that the UK has so it’s additional resource. There is evidence, again in the larger cities of panic buying, am off shortly to do some shopping. There is, I think, a greater respect for authority out here and a willingness to comply with the law and authorities after all its for our own good.

Spain has also introduced jail and big fines for those who breach lockdown
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,366
    edited March 2020

rcs1000 said:

I forecast:

£1,000/month to all British residents for three months. (Cost £210bn)

Plus additional "business support payments" to ensure firms don't shutter. (Cost £100bn)

How do we exclude people like me who are going to go on getting paid? Or do I get a bung too? If so, the likes of amazon and B&Q are in for a good year.
    Making any payment taxable would recover a chunk of it from people who earn above the thresholds and didnt really need it.

Or, take this idea further, give everyone £500 a month for the next three months, and make an emergency cut in the tax allowance and thresholds for the current year such that the money is recovered at year end or through paye for those that didn’t need it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    FFS....First Jezza, now Stan....

'Of course I’ll go to the pub!’: Boris Johnson's coronavirus plan is thrown into chaos as his own FATHER Stanley vows to ignore official advice to avoid social contact despite Britain now on coronavirus lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8120975/Boris-Johnsons-father-Stanley-vows-IGNORE-sons-official-government-advice.html
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    SandraMc said:

The government is going to have to sort out supermarket deliveries for those self-isolating. Tesco's delivery slots are booked up 2 weeks in advance and so are click and collect.

I know there are other supermarkets but Waitrose isn't taking new registrations.

This does need sorting.
  • Options
    A lot more punters for political betting as that, and the weather, will soon be the only thing people can bet on.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,690
    JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

This is an over-reaction, surely? They haven't had to do this in Italy or Spain, so why would that be necessary here???
    Because the government that we have is far more incompetent.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

No not marshall aw but there are military police on the streets in big cities helping out. Spain has over double the number of police officers that the UK has so it’s additional resource. There is evidence, again in the larger cities of panic buying, am off shortly to do some shopping. There is, I think, a greater respect for authority out here and a willingness to comply with the law and authorities after all its for our own good.

In France you are now only allowed to drive on the roads if you have completed and are carrying with you the official forms setting out your justification.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

FFS....First Jezza, now Stan....

'Of course I’ll go to the pub!’: Boris Johnson's coronavirus plan is thrown into chaos as his own FATHER Stanley vows to ignore official advice to avoid social contact despite Britain now on coronavirus lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8120975/Boris-Johnsons-father-Stanley-vows-IGNORE-sons-official-government-advice.html

His "Pub" may end up being the bar in the shed at the bottom of his garden.....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    malcolmg said:

This guy just cannot be as stupid as he makes out on a daily basis. How did anyone employ such a fool.

Hodges does often try the patience.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    geoffw said:

SandraMc said:

The government is going to have to sort out supermarket deliveries for those self-isolating. Tesco's delivery slots are booked up 2 weeks in advance and so are click and collect.

I know there are other supermarkets but Waitrose isn't taking new registrations.

This does need sorting.
    Business opportunity for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. B, fair enough.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    IanB2 said:

A lot more punters for political betting as that, and the weather, will soon be the only thing people can bet on.
    Not much politics going on with all elections cancelled. Beyond how many survivors there will be at a point in time, must be some desperate bookies out there.
  • Options
    Just been told by a lad who works in Melton that their Sainsbury's is closing the fresh veg and meat sections, pizza, deli and cafe. Only self check outs will be open.
  • Options

SandraMc said:

From my niece in Elgin

World gone crazy i tell ya. Riots at Aldi this morning when the delivery lorry arrived apparently! People trying get on lorry to get food 😫

The government needs to sort out food deliveries to those self-isolating.
    No they don't. They lied about meeting with the supermarkets. Then met and told them to get on with it, then told the press that tried and tested contingency plans were in place. Which turns out to be "more online shops" which none of supermarkets can do.

We will need the army distributing food. We'll be waiting a while.
    If we deployed every serviceman and woman we have, we have about 200,000 people. Allow for sickness and shift patterns, and you get down to 40,000 if you’re lucky. Probably less given the extra sickness challenge at the minute. How many tasks do we have for the military? We need to choose wisely. I think deliveries need to be volunteers.
    I refer you to the pensioner shot in the head by a BB Gun in Stockton...
    That does appear to be kids dangerously mucking about rather than a toilet roll heist?
  • Options
    We are down to the Crucible snooker.

That should IMO go ahead as a public service - but Charlie Rich fashion obvs.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

'Because the government that we have is far more incompetent.'

Yet we have the lowest number of Covid 19 cases and deaths of any major country in Europe
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

In France you are now only allowed to drive on the roads if you have completed and are carrying with you the official forms setting out your justification.

Yes I have to provide ID and a valid reason for being out. Also my insurance is invalid if I have an accident whilst being on an unsanctioned trip.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The Korean use of smartphones and apps for contact tracing and monitoring has, from the start, been.... smart.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/03/119_286335.html
    Korea is expanding its special screening at airports and ports to all overseas travelers starting from Thursday, in an effort to contain COVID-19 which is spreading in Korea and around the world, the government said Tuesday.

Currently, travelers, both Koreans and non-Koreans, arriving from China, Japan and all European countries are subject to special screening at entry points.

"Given that the new coronavirus pandemic is spreading all over the world and that more people coming from abroad show symptoms or are infected, Korea will expand a special screening procedure to all entrants," Kim Gang-lip, the vice health minister, said during a press conference held in Sejong, Tuesday.

Kim said six recent coronavirus cases involved people with records of traveling abroad. "We feel an increasing need for stricter border control."

According to the government, as of March 15, a total of 44 coronavirus patients had a record of traveling outside ― 16 visiting Europe, 14 China and 14 other Asian countries.

"A country like Peru completely sealed the country up which we consider too drastic for Korea. The best option for us would be screening all who arrive in Korea," Kim said.

The special screening consists of checking people's body temperature and filling out a personal health survey before leaving the airport or port. Also, people must share their local contact information ― phone number and address ― and download a smartphone application through which users have to report their daily health condition to the quarantine authorities.

The Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said Tuesday Korea reported 84 new cases of COVID-19 infection on Monday, putting the total number of cases at 8,320 with 81 fatalities. ...

The South Koreans really should be ruling the world, sensible and proportionate, efficient and consistent. They make good movies too.
    I was really impressed with their approach from the start which is why I was so confident that they would bring their numbers back under control.

One concern about this asymptomatic theory seems to me to be that the exponential growth of recorded cases is not really consistent with it unless the infection rate of the virus is many times what has been calculated to date. The current rate of growth is consistent with there being relatively few already infected people in contact with those passing it on. If we were heading towards herd immunity already we would not get that.
  • Options

Just been told by a lad who works in Melton that their Sainsbury's is closing the fresh veg and meat sections, pizza, deli and cafe. Only self check outs will be open.

What will they sell, pedigree chum ?

It's all a bit he said, she said.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

Yet we have the lowest number of Covid 19 cases and deaths of any major country in Europe

Oh FFS.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

I can see why BA don't want competitors bailed out

https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status/1239657406184820736

I read that BA has £10bn in the bank. They could sit doing nothing for a year or so and still pay all their staff.
    Exactly. BA have been responsible, they should be rewarded whilst Airlines that have lived life on the edge and in the case of American actively be irresponsible with their money should not be rewarded.

By rewarded I don't mean given government money, I mean letting darwinian forces take their course and be standing atop of the wreckage when things move out of crisis mode.

BA are going to be the perfect counter example to activist investors demanding money be returned to share holders.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    JM1 said:

It's going to get scary. Tesco in Loughborough stripped. Sainsbury in Melton the same. It's only day one!

My sister-in-law in Switzerland observed the same. But it calmed down very quickly, and I see no reason why that would not be the same here...
    The same lunatics on here predicting domm and gloom while demanding draconian action will be complaining about the same as soo as it happens.
  • Options

Who is going to be policing those? "Oh, the bottle of malt whisky didn't go thorough?" Crap system you have here. Bye...."
  • Options

You don't have to believe a word anyone writes. I'm just a compulsive liar.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

rcs1000 said:

I forecast:

£1,000/month to all British residents for three months. (Cost £210bn)

Plus additional "business support payments" to ensure firms don't shutter. (Cost £100bn)

How do we exclude people like me who are going to go on getting paid? Or do I get a bung too? If so, the likes of amazon and B&Q are in for a good year.
    Another Ed Miliband policy being implemented by the Tories......
  • Options
    JM1 said:

It's going to get scary. Tesco in Loughborough stripped. Sainsbury in Melton the same. It's only day one!

My sister-in-law in Switzerland observed the same. But it calmed down very quickly, and I see no reason why that would not be the same here...
    The great British public are as thick as pig dung in comparison to the Swiss.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

I read that BA has £10bn in the bank. They could sit doing nothing for a year or so and still pay all their staff.
    Exactly. BA have been responsible, they should be rewarded whilst Airlines that have lived life on the edge and in the case of American actively be irresponsible with their money should not be rewarded.

By rewarded I don't mean given government money, I mean letting darwinian forces take their course and be standing atop of the wreckage when things move out of crisis mode.

BA are going to be the perfect counter example to activist investors demanding money be returned to share holders.
    Yeah, I imagine they will be gobbling up a lot of defunct airlines after this is done.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

There are going to be a lot of slots for them to pick up when the dust settles.....
  • Options

eek said:

Prediction for this afternoon's presser - the government will champion their waiver on business rates and access to SSP as being what will save businesses and individuals from penury. When pressed Boris will waffle and try and bluster his way through the increasingly detailed and angry questions from the media pool.

It will be Rishi Sunak, the chancellor not Boris
    If they don't come up with a decent plan Rishi will have gone from hero to zero in less than a week...
    I accept that
    Hero for Conservatives, perhaps, and so zero for Conservatives. But for me he was a zero from the very beginning. Second choice to that Jahid chap. And he was no good.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

No not marshall law
    Martial law, I think you mean.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    I know this is old school pedantry but if the Chancellor is going to produce #Budget2: whatever it takes, should he not really do that to the HoC sitting as the Ways and Means Committee rather than a Press Conference?

I have a horrible feeling he is going to announce a series of measures within his existing budgetary provisions which won't even be close to being enough.
  • Options
    FF43 said:
    I don't know about you, but the second message was definitely more understandable.

:smiley:
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

geoffw said:

SandraMc said:

This does need sorting.
    Was thinking of employing my teenage grandchildren. But how do they pay? Cash must be one of the worst fomites and I don't think they can use my credit card.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

eek said:

Prediction for this afternoon's presser - the government will champion their waiver on business rates and access to SSP as being what will save businesses and individuals from penury. When pressed Boris will waffle and try and bluster his way through the increasingly detailed and angry questions from the media pool.

It will be Rishi Sunak, the chancellor not Boris
    If they don't come up with a decent plan Rishi will have gone from hero to zero in less than a week...
    I accept that
    Hero for Conservatives, perhaps, and so zero for Conservatives. But for me he was a zero from the very beginning. Second choice to that Jahid chap. And he was no good.
    Jahid?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

Because the government that we have is far more incompetent.

No - Spain is in lockdown because the government rashly closed the universities and schools last week - thousands headed to home and second homes in the south spreading the virus from the heavily infected north to the much less infected south and coasts. Take your silly yellow specs off and get real.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

Because this government refuses to test people.

You would be on here defending their policy of killing the first born male child in every household wouldn't you?
  • Options

You don't have to believe a word anyone writes. I'm just a compulsive liar.
    True, and generally I try not to.
  • Options

You would be on here defending their policy of killing the first born male child in every household wouldn't you?

Are they refusing to test people? I thought the issue was capacity at the moment.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770
    edited March 2020

Oh FFS.

The UK has had fourth largest number of new deaths for the past two days, after Italy, Iran and Spain. We need to get this under control.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Well, it clearly doesn’t work anyway.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    eek said:

Balrog said:

Alistair said:

Private Landlords are going to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. And when they grovel and ask why them they will be slreninded of how they acted during the corona virus.

Some of the emails and tweets I've seen I've had to quadruple check to make sure they are not parodies. The callusesness is beyond appalling.

I suspect that depends on the landlord. If asked by a tenant in current
    SandraMc said:

Or people set up volunteer groups to home deliver to people that need it
    Yep - we will be doing any shopping our next day neighbour (cancer) and the m-i-l need. There are a couple of other OAPs we need to check on but I will do that later.
    There are plenty of local volunteers saying things like: "I'll buy some milk and bread for the elderly" but how many of them are prepared to do a full week's shopping? Some might on top of their usual shop but it's getting difficult with supermarkets rationing certain products.

This is were I feel that it shows that Boris doesn't do detail. "Oh, yes. The supermarkets say they have plenty of food. They do home deliveries so up to a third of the population can stay in. Oh, they are now running out of food and there are no home delivery dates."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

No not marshall law
    Martial law, I think you mean.
    It’s marital law now, do keep up.... ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,981
    RobD said:

Are they refusing to test people? I thought the issue was capacity at the moment.
    90% of younger people are just going to be riding it out at home, you don't think testing the almost certain case I've pointed out here would be useful ?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,282
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

why do you keep posting things that are just factually wrong? it's really annoying
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I think you might be underestimating how important it is for some people. Maybe not the service itself, but the social aspect, especially amongst the elderly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

90% of younger people are just going to be riding it out at home, you don't think testing the almost certain case I've pointed out here would be useful ?
    Yeah, but that's an issue of capacity, isn't it? I'm sure they'd love to be able to test literally everyone.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I went to the local pub for lunch, to show some solidarity. It was deserted.
  • Options
    The Dow having a think about dipping below 20000 after the open.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503

Total bellends....

Such great ambassadors for the UK.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They're only testing in hospital, and only taking you into hospital if you're at death's door. I know two people who have been fully symptomatic and the ambulance crews won't take them in as not quite poorly enough.
  • Options

RobD said:

They're only testing in hospital, and only taking you into hospital if you're at death's door. I know two people who have been fully symptomatic and the ambulance crews won't take them in as not quite poorly enough.
    The low positive rate suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I think you might be underestimating how important it is for some people. Maybe not the service itself, but the social aspect, especially amongst the elderly.
    That’s going to do for the Americans, if they aren’t careful
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499

Later on, I shall be walking to the fish and chip shop. Whether I get the usual minicab back has yet to be determined.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Yeah, but that's an issue of capacity, isn't it? I'm sure they'd love to be able to test literally everyone.
    No, it was an explicit Gov't policy change as part of the mad herd immunity idea.

If they'd known they had it 24 hours earlier they'd have been tested. They'll probably have been tested by Thursday or whenever it is the Gov't changes it's policy again.

How can Dry cough, high fever AND contact with someone from Italy NOT fall under the testing criteria if there is a 97% negative test rate. It's bonkers, they must be testing everyone with a broken leg in A&E or some such.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    I understand why they are stopping it, just trying to say it probably isn't necessary to be flippant about it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

I've been awake since 230am worrying about CV-19. :cry:

That's because you decided to trust the American health system... :wink:
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Anecdata. I am getting calls from clients asking what they can do about employees who can't work from home but are too scared to come in. Tough advice to give but to me it does show people are now taking this very seriously which, in and of itself, is a good thing.

Personally, generally I love the area of law I have chosen (I advise employees and employers) but it can be utterly shit sometimes giving advice you know will have such a massive impact on people's livelihood.

What advice are you giving? (only a synopsis... know that's how you make your living...)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

No, it was an explicit Gov't policy change as part of the mad herd immunity idea.

If they'd known they had it 24 hours earlier they'd have been tested. They'll probably have been tested by Thursday or whenever it is the Gov't changes it's policy again.

How can Dry cough, high fever AND contact with someone from Italy NOT fall under the testing criteria if there is a 97% negative test rate. It's bonkers, they must be testing everyone with a broken leg in A&E or some such.
    I thought it was mentioned at the last press conference that they are continuing to ramp up testing capacity, but maybe I am imagining things.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Funerals would seem the ideal way to spread the virus. Lots of elderly mourners, and next-of-kin almost certainly infected.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Just had a forlorn message from my personal trainer. Poor girl she is self employed and has worked hard to build up a client base.

I'm going to keep at it to try to help her.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Balrog said:

Alistair said:

Private Landlords are going to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. And when they grovel and ask why them they will be slreninded of how they acted during the corona virus.

Some of the emails and tweets I've seen I've had to quadruple check to make sure they are not parodies. The callusesness is beyond appalling.

I suspect that depends on the landlord. If asked by a tenant in current it
    Nice landlords do exist

https://twitter.com/ThatGledhill/status/1239842843532972032
  • Options

Later on, I shall be walking to the fish and chip shop. Whether I get the usual minicab back has yet to be determined.
    I wouldn't personally, minicab drivers are going to be the last people to self isolate.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mango said:

Lilico has never been right about anything, ever.

A total waste of Twitter space, and that bar is set Planck-length low.

We are shutting everything else down, but the one thing that really needs to close is Twitter. The world would be a better place without it.
    I fear the next thing we are going to get is live tweeting of people going through suffering from this and of course the Instagram photos to accompany them.
    One man's struggle not to eat his last avocado
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Except they aren't. Instead, they've sent all their staff risk of redundancy notices.

https://ukaviation.news/british-airways-issues-notice-of-risk-of-redundancy-to-all-staff/

(For certain values of "all their staff" that no doubt excludes senior management of course.)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Just had a forlorn message from my personal trainer. Poor girl she is self employed and has worked hard to build up a client base.

This is a particular disaster for personal trainers, music teachers, beauticians and so on, many of whom are seeing highly successful businesses collapse because of their very personal services. I am very doubtful whether the government has the wit to put together a financial package to help such self-employed tradespeople.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

Yet we have the lowest number of Covid 19 cases of any major country in Europe
    why do you keep posting things that are just factually wrong? it's really annoying

It is not factually wrong, the UK has fewer coronavirus cases than France, Germany, Italy and Spain
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Still hosting funerals....terrible terrible idea. Isn't it thought that a significant hotspot in Italy was triggered by them.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Is it possible for her to do some online or recorded training programme? That is what my PT is doing, and here was me thinking I had got away not having to get my arse kicked 3 times a week.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    RC dioceses in the worst affected areas here in the US have already cancelled Mass indefinitely. I saw some reports of some of the crazier evangelical churches saying come to church, God will protect us. Think of it as evolution in action.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Still hosting funerals....terrible terrible idea. Isn't it thought that a significant hotspot in Italy was triggered by them.

It was a small town in La Roja Spain I think.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

It is not factually wrong, the UK has fewer coronavirus cases than France, Germany, Italy and Spain
    That comment won't age well..
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

SandraMc said:

This does need sorting.
    Was thinking of employing my teenage grandchildren. But how do they pay? Cash must be one of the worst fomites and I don't think they can use my credit card.
    There are any number of systems, Paypal being the most well known. Means the corporates get a slice of the action, but hey ho.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Quick summary of all the 70+ people I know (or at least have discussed CV isolation with):

- father-in-law: convinced this is a fuss about nothing; no intention of changing his habits at all
    - mother-in-law: taking things seriously but obviously being exposed via her husband
    - neighbour (lives on her own; no children living nearby): we dropped a note round yesterday offering to do her shopping etc if needed. She knocked on our door later to thank us in person

So that's one third uncooperative; one third inadvertently uncooperative and one third semi-cooperative. If that's in any way representative, then I think the strategy needs some work.
  • Options

Many churches are moving to live streaming services and the same can be done for funerals
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Quick summary of all the 70+ people I know (or at least have discussed CV isolation with):

- father-in-law: convinced this is a fuss about nothing; no intention of changing his habits at all
    - mother-in-law: taking things seriously but obviously being exposed via her husband
    - neighbour (lives on her own; no children living nearby): we dropped a note round yesterday offering to do her shopping etc if needed. She knocked on our door later to thank us in person

So that's one third uncooperative; one third inadvertently uncooperative and one third semi-cooperative. If that's in any way representative, then I think the strategy needs some work.

Hopefully that's just small number statistics at play.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,043

This is a particular disaster for personal trainers, music teachers, beauticians and so on, many of whom are seeing highly successful businesses collapse because of their very personal services. I am very doubtful whether the government has the wit to put together a financial package to help such self-employed tradespeople.
    Just had a call from elder son. He manages a team; at his firm everyone who can work from home has been told to, and those who can't to take annual leave. Which he's not happy about; doesn't think it's fair.
    I said the only thing to do is take it week by week.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

The government need to come up with a clear graphical representation of the chart Imperial produced. If you are over 60 even and you get this, you don't just have a high chance of ending up in hospital, but a significant proportion are going to need ICU.

I don't think people have twigged this yet. It isn't like getting the flu or pneumonia, where quite a lot of oldies end up needing a trip to hospital for a couple of days on a drip and some antibiotics.

In this case, a huge proportion it is mechanical lung time and if Italy is anything to go by, if you are lucky and end up in ICU bed, still going to be 20% chance of death.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't personally, minicab drivers are going to be the last people to self isolate.
    Although the Albanian one we heard about the other day was a model of good practice - deep cleaning his cab, refusing customers with violent coughs.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Is it possible for her to do some online or recorded training programme? That is what my PT is doing, and here was me thinking I had got away not having to get my arse kicked 3 times a week.
    I guess. The gym she uses is a small private one and is not shutting down until it is instructed to.

She is exploring parks, home visits etc too.
  • Options
    Dow breaks 20,000.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Pound down to about $1.20ish.

Mr. Endillion, you can't protect people who don't want to be protected. People know excessive alcohol consumption, smoking cigarettes, and unprotected sex is risky behaviour, but still do it.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

I thought we had stopped testing, so really we have no idea. The Conservative politicians who are supposed to be in charge just do not have a clue. My hopes are pinned on the competent experts in the civil service, whom the Conservative politicians despise.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,200
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

We have a significantly greater number of deaths than Germany and the Germans are testing anyone who came into contact with someone showing symptoms, rather than just those who end up in hospital. So it is factually wrong.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

The UK had the fourth largest number of new deaths in the past two days after Italy, Iran and Spain. Admittedly, those three countries are ahead of us on the mortality curve, but it is not a good curve for us to be on. We need to get off it.

Not_on_Fire is being complacent.

The case statistics are useless for comparison between countries, as it is as much as anything an indicator of how much testing is taking place. Testing indirectly helps keep cases and deaths down.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

Do you not understand that we will catch up and likely surpass certainly Germany and maybe France and Spain.

BTW we already have more deaths than Germany despite identifying less cases.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

I thought we had stopped testing, so really we have no idea. The Conservative politicians who are supposed to be in charge just do not have a clue. My hopes are pinned on the competent experts in the civil service, whom the Conservative politicians despise.

Testing has not stopped.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,043
    rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    RC dioceses in the worst affected areas here in the US have already cancelled Mass indefinitely. I saw some reports of some of the crazier evangelical churches saying come to church, God will protect us. Think of it as evolution in action.
    Wasn't that tried in South Korea? Don't THINK it worked very well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

Yet we have the lowest number of Covid 19 cases of any major country in Europe

And the Germans are cheating using a non-standard formulation on the number of dead affected by Covid-19.
  • Options

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Wasn't that tried in South Korea? Don't THINK it worked very well.
    It worked very well in getting the message out for the Woo-hoo we got Plague! Death Cult....
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,282
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

JM1 said:

I'm not joking either.

HYUFD:
    "It is not factually wrong, the UK has fewer coronavirus cases than France, Germany, Italy and Spain"

No. And this is what you ALWAYS do. Make a factually wrong statement ("we have the lowest number of Covid 19 cases and DEATHS of any major country in Europe"), and then when picked up on it, you change the statement to something else ("the UK has fewer coronavirus cases than France, Germany, Italy and Spain").

Germany deaths: 20
    UK deaths: 55

So you're statement "It is not factually wrong" is yet another bare-faced lie from you. What is the matter with you?
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

eek said:

Balrog said:

Alistair said:

SandraMc said:

Yep - we will be doing any shopping our next day neighbour (cancer) and the m-i-l need. There are a couple of other OAPs we need to check on but I will do that later.
    There are plenty of local volunteers saying things like: "I'll buy some milk and bread for the elderly" but how many of them are prepared to do a full week's shopping? Some might on top of their usual shop but it's getting difficult with supermarkets rationing certain products.

This is were I feel that it shows that Boris doesn't do detail. "Oh, yes. The supermarkets say they have plenty of food. They do home deliveries so up to a third of the population can stay in. Oh, they are now running out of food and there are no home delivery dates."
    I hate to be harsh, but the market will intervene here. There *is* plenty of food and loo roll. In fact, there is a vast overabundance of food (and probably loo roll) to the extent that thousands of tonnes is wasted each week. People want it and have money. Producers want to sell it to them. Supermarkets, other food shops, and to some extent restaurants, need to, and will, find the best way to manage those transactions, and keep their customers satisfied, through trial and error. Not sure why you think Boris wading in is going to help.
  • Options

We told our fortnightly cleaner she was still welcome to come if she felt comfortable doing so (after all, a cleaner is going to be cleaning everything he or she touches so unless she was exhibiting symptoms we'd have no qualms about her coming), but if she wasn't we'd still pay her. She said she would but now my wife is unwell, with symptoms that might tally with COVID, but by no means a perfect fit. We told the cleaner to stay away for sure and sent her her usual payment. Hopefully we should be able to keep that up indefinitely.
  • Options

SandraMc said:

eek said:

Balrog said:

Alistair said:

SandraMc said:

I hate to be harsh, but the market will intervene here. There *is* plenty of food and loo roll. In fact, there is a vast overabundance of food (and probably loo roll) to the extent that thousands of tonnes is wasted each week. People want it and have money. Producers want to sell it to them. Supermarkets, other food shops, and to some extent restaurants, need to, and will, find the best way to manage those transactions, and keep their customers satisfied, through trial and error. Not sure why you think Boris wading in is going to help.
    But if imports dry up that surplus won't last very long. How many tonnes of food are eaten each day?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    rpjs said:

We told our fortnightly cleaner she was still welcome to come if she felt comfortable doing so (after all, a cleaner is going to be cleaning everything he or she touches so unless she was exhibiting symptoms we'd have no qualms about her coming), but if she wasn't we'd still pay her. She said she would but now my wife is unwell, with symptoms that might tally with COVID, but by no means a perfect fit. We told the cleaner to stay away for sure and sent her her usual payment. Hopefully we should be able to keep that up indefinitely.
    We paid our cleaner for the next two weeks and told her not to come in.
This discussion has been closed.