Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Budgeting for a crisis

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Here's something a bit constructive people can do - learn to make sauerkraut.
    Reasons.
    1. Amazingly nutritious and high in vitamin C - fermentation makes the nutrients more bioavailable
    2. Delicious
    3. Full of beneficial bacteria to look after your gut microbiome, which is part of a healthy immune system
    3. A natural form of preservation, will last and last, but be WAY healthier than tinned foods
    4. Panic buyers are avoiding fresh cabbages.

You'll need a Kilner jar or similar, salt (better quality the better), and potentially a small quantity of natural yoghurt to kick start the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwC7bTjLkQ

Had been thinking of doing something of that ilk for a while so thanks for the nudge.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    My daughter is now offering Ready Meals for people to collect or to be delivered together with essential household items (loo paper etc). She’s cancelled her next order of beer and the Greek night for this Saturday as cancellations are coming in and her focus is on trying to keep costs down and doing what business she can for as long as she can.

But unless government help is forthcoming, in a few weeks maximum - quite likely a few days - her business will have to close down.

Repeat all over the Lakes, all over the country - and watch those unemployment figures soar. Those new Blue Wall MPs will lose their jobs soon enough if Boris and Rishi don’t grasp the extent of what they have to do.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

stodge said:

Nearly afternoon all :)

Well, I'm now working at home for the duration it seems though trying to support colleagues with Microsoft Teams has been a frustrating experience this morning.

Microsoft Teams is the real winner; I'd bet it corners a lot more of the market now than when companies had time to compare it against Slack, Sametime, Webex or whatever.
    I’m using it at the moment to communicate with the class I would be teaching if I were in school. It’s a bit clunky to be honest, but I’m getting used to it.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,814
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

One sector that I bet is doing booming business, all those home workout programmes and bits of gym kit.

Peloton stock was up 12% yesterday!
    That is a business I really dont understand! Why do people pay so much for an exercise bike? Then pay on top for a monthly subscription? Why do investors think this will scale into something massive?
    A session at Soulcycle is $39. For 40 minutes of pumping on a bike.

Peloton offers you as many of those as you like for $40 a month.

And it should scale brilliantly. One million users worldwide paying $40/month is $5bn of revenue a year, and probably about $3bn of profits. (I mean, what are the costs?)
    But the average exercise bike is about £150. And you can pedal it fine without paying a monthly subscription!

Whatever next, $20 monthly cooking advice subscriptions? Monthly choose the right subscription services subscriptions?
    Yes, but you don't get the incredibly fit young man/woman yelling out your name mid session: "Joe Bloggs! Fiftieth ride. Keep it up!"

Or the leaderboard, where you attempt to stay ahead of "Arthur Jones, 82, Pittsburgh"
    I might value that at 0.10c per month. Amazed people think its $2k up front and $20 per month. Its the best advert for a wealth/idiot tax around.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Is there a set schedule for the press conferences now?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Tonight's welding evening class cancelled for the foreseeable future as the college is closed to students from 5pm onwards. I was making a bit of a bourach of my project so every cloud and all that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Evidently, there are limits to what a totalitarian dictator can achieve...

Campaign to 'thank' Xi Jinping flatly rejected by Wuhan citizens
    Communist Party's propaganda efforts powerless in face of coronavirus anger
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/China-up-close/Campaign-to-thank-Xi-Jinping-flatly-rejected-by-Wuhan-citizens

That article is interesting for another reason, namely if you read down the article, it does not sound like the disease is under control as much as the Chinese say it is (it talks about a number of doctors in a serious conditions, Wuhan citizens angry at the deaths etc).
    The Chinese authorities are lying. Well, fancy! File in the “No shit, Sherlock” file.
  • Options

Morrisons are asking everyone to pay by card, rather than cash. Seems like a plan, although I feel a bit silly paying for something like a newspaper by card.

Now how am I supposed to get rid of my cash stash of paper £20 notes?
  • Options

Morrisons are asking everyone to pay by card, rather than cash. Seems like a plan, although I feel a bit silly paying for something like a newspaper by card.

Happy to swap them for a loo roll?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

My daughter is now offering Ready Meals for people to collect or to be delivered together with essential household items (loo paper etc). She’s cancelled her next order of beer and the Greek night for this Saturday as cancellations are coming in and her focus is on trying to keep costs down and doing what business she can for as long as she can.

But unless government help is forthcoming, in a few weeks maximum - quite likely a few days - her business will have to close down.

Repeat all over the Lakes, all over the country - and watch those unemployment figures soar. Those new Blue Wall MPs will lose their jobs soon enough if Boris and Rishi don’t grasp the extent of what they have to do.

Agreed. Such a cross-industry shutdown is not economically possible without widespread help to both businesses and individuals, very quickly. Governments globally are going to have learn this very quickly, whatever their ideological stripe, and probably learn to co-ordinate it quickly too, if they don't want to take this kind of action and bring about another international banking collapse.
  • Options
    Raab. Advice changed to non essential travel globally !!!!!!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Floater said:

Again, the media being shamefully...

Headline...Shutting schools would reduce coronavirus transmission – expert

So it makes it sound like he is disagreeing with the government and that the easy answer is they should be shut now. Except that isn't what he is saying at all.

Firstly he says massive uncertainty in regards to kids, secondly that the knock-on effect is huge and thirdly it more than likely will happen but must be timed appropriately.

And the kids then need to stay indoors - which didn't happen in Italy for example
    They have to stay on their own property in Spain, after initial problems with holiday makers there were problems in a juvenile Centre and the strange case of the tyranosorus Rex that was apprehended in Murcia but you’d have to search on twitter for the video.
    https://www.20minutos.es/gonzoo/noticia/4190487/0/tyrannosaurus-rex-murcia-policia-manda-mensaje-redes/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

Hopefully they taste better than loo roll? :lol:
  • Options

Suspect 90% are doing that already!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,757

Post them to me - happy to dispose of them for you.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Big insurance claims incoming
  • Options

See photos of some people in gas masks, full hazmat suits etc, am I the only one wondering why these people have these in their wardrobes.

When I used to go to EBM festivals/gigs wearing gas masks were all the rage, I still have a few masks.

Plus the Whovian in me likes to wear them on occasion and say 'Are you my Mummy?'
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Mango said:

Lilico has never been right about anything, ever.

A total waste of Twitter space, and that bar is set Planck-length low.

We are shutting everything else down, but the one thing that really needs to close is Twitter. The world would be a better place without it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    Cyclefree said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/China-up-close/Campaign-to-thank-Xi-Jinping-flatly-rejected-by-Wuhan-citizens

That article is interesting for another reason, namely if you read down the article, it does not sound like the disease is under control as much as the Chinese say it is (it talks about a number of doctors in a serious conditions, Wuhan citizens angry at the deaths etc).
    The Chinese authorities are lying. Well, fancy! File in the “No shit, Sherlock” file.
    I think one can safely assume that they lie, as often, but more convincingly than Trump.

What is not at all clear is whether those lies are material in assessing their efforts to control the virus.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    RobD said:

I heard from a friend last night that a work colleague was still planning to go to the US for an Easter vacation and then started venting when told that Trump had now banned travel from the UK.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Private Landlords are going to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. And when they grovel and ask why them they will be slreninded of how they acted during the corona virus.

Some of the emails and tweets I've seen I've had to quadruple check to make sure they are not parodies. The callusesness is beyond appalling.
  • Options

How separate is passenger travel and goods travel? To what extent are there going to be problems bringing in food and medicines based on borders being shut down?
  • Options

RobD said:

I heard from a friend last night that a work colleague was still planning to go to the US for an Easter vacation and then started venting when told that Trump had now banned travel from the UK.
    Well now you know which of your friends are idiots. :p
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    Of course there are many hidden costs to a lengthy lockdown: loss of quality of life, boredom, lack of physical exercise, loss of skills. A lengthy lockdown of 2-3 years plus would bring about a loss of structure and knowhow in many key sectors of the economy: sport, education, cinema, the arts, and business.

Most developing countries would be totally unable to pursue the lockdown strategy, and we might eventually see people starting to move from the UK to live in less wealthy countries that are not locked down and in which the virus has run its course.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mango said:

We are shutting everything else down, but the one thing that really needs to close is Twitter. The world would be a better place without it.
    Twitter is a very real danger to social cohension
  • Options

I blame Brexit for ruining the economy.

The number of unemployed people in the UK increased by 5,000 to 1.34 million in the three months to January compared to the same period last year.

It marks the first annual increase in unemployment since May to June 2012.

https://news.sky.com/story/gloomy-outlook-for-workers-as-unemployment-increases-11958839

Plus, this all kicked off just after we left the EU...

Don't let anyone tell you the two aren't related. :wink:
    If you are self isolating, you could always make tinfoil hats.... :D:D
    Cue run on tinfoil... :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Fishing said:

Mango said:

I fear the next thing we are going to get is live tweeting of people going through suffering from this and of course the Instagram photos to accompany them.
  • Options
    Euro 2020 is now Euro 2021.
  • Options

How separate is passenger travel and goods travel? To what extent are there going to be problems bringing in food and medicines based on borders being shut down?
    Raab did draw a difference
  • Options

Euro 2020 is now Euro 2021.

We still won't win it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    DougSeal said:

Anecdata. I am getting calls from clients asking what they can do about employees who can't work from home but are too scared to come in. Tough advice to give but to me it does show people are now taking this very seriously which, in and of itself, is a good thing.

Personally, generally I love the area of law I have chosen (I advise employees and employers) but it can be utterly shit sometimes giving advice you know will have such a massive impact on people's livelihood.

Is your advice that they can be disciplined and ultimately fired?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

One sector that I bet is doing booming business, all those home workout programmes and bits of gym kit.

That is a business I really dont understand! Why do people pay so much for an exercise bike? Then pay on top for a monthly subscription? Why do investors think this will scale into something massive?

And it should scale brilliantly. One million users worldwide paying $40/month is $5bn of revenue a year, and probably about $3bn of profits. (I mean, what are the costs?)
    But the average exercise bike is about £150. And you can pedal it fine without paying a monthly subscription!

Whatever next, $20 monthly cooking advice subscriptions? Monthly choose the right subscription services subscriptions?
    A membership at Barry's Bootcamp can cost over $500 a month.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The Peloton hardware, like all "exercise bikes" is rubbish. A semi serious cyclist will destroy it quite quickly. Also, they have no power measurement and therefore useless for training. Rollers and a normal bike are way cheaper and better.
    Or a bike without the rollers and out we go on the streets. I am a usual 1hr a day Boris biker and I'm about to go out and buy a physical bike. Then I can cycle for an hour, get out of the house (am home working), keep my sanity and my waistline.

Just need to shout at any cyclist who gets near me, not that any can (kidding).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

A membership at Barry's Bootcamp can cost over $500 a month.
    And here was me thinking that F45 took the piss...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Private Landlords are going to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. And when they grovel and ask why them they will be slreninded of how they acted during the corona virus.

Some of the emails and tweets I've seen I've had to quadruple check to make sure they are not parodies. The callusesness is beyond appalling.

As a landlord, albeit an accidental one, I've told my tenants, who happens to be a friend, that they can live rent free for the foreseeable future.
  • Options

See photos of some people in gas masks, full hazmat suits etc, am I the only one wondering why these people have these in their wardrobes.

When I used to go to EBM festivals/gigs wearing gas masks were all the rage, I still have a few masks.

Plus the Whovian in me likes to wear them on occasion and say 'Are you my Mummy?'
    Go on then. You wander round Sheff doing that, I'll video it, we'll make a fortune on YouTube.

With regards to hotels that you mentioned earlier the lass in the Hampton told me last night about how much shit they are in as a business. They've closed down the top 3 floors to save energy / servicing costs. They've laid off all but 2 of their housekeeping team, and they are expecting all of 15 people tonight on what should be the busiest night of the year.

I almost felt guilty when I cancelled my next 3 bookings this morning...
  • Options

I watched a series on TV recently (What Britain Buys And Sells in a Day, or something like that), and I was very surprised how much food - salmon springs to mind - is transported by air alongside passengers' luggage. Presumably that's not going anywhere now.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

I think one can safely assume that they lie, as often, but more convincingly than Trump.

What is not at all clear is whether those lies are material in assessing their efforts to control the virus.
    If the Chinese attempts to control the virus are not as fully effective as claimed this could have significant implications for the conclusions in the Imperial report.
  • Options
    Been away for an few hours. Is there anyone on here not pushing for HMG to provide MASSIVE and unprecedented support for businesses and individuals?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited March 2020
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

The government's saying they've stopped it spreading, they're not saying they've found a cure...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
  • Options

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

The government's saying they've stopped it spreading, they're not saying they've found a cure...
    I don't think the implication was there is a cure, just that it's still spreading.
  • Options
    Thornberry is ridiculous. She needs to be isolated
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    fox327 said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

If the Chinese attempts to control the virus are not as fully effective as claimed this could have significant implications for the conclusions in the Imperial report.
    Well the initial model that Imperial bods talked about was based on the Chinese numbers and now we have Italian, French, Spainish data, they now adjusted it to have double the required hospitalizations.

I know the WHO bod thought the Chinese numbers looked legit, but it is clear lots of other governments don't think they are.
  • Options

What she said about the embassy in Peru was worrying though. It shouldn't be closed.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think the implication was there is a cure, just that it's still spreading.
    That's not implied by the article. It says they're angry about doctors who died recently. But this thing takes time to kill you, the fact that they died recently doesn't mean they got infected recently.
  • Options

Been away for an few hours. Is there anyone on here not pushing for HMG to provide MASSIVE and unprecedented support for businesses and individuals?

@stodge
  • Options

Go on then. You wander round Sheff doing that, I'll video it, we'll make a fortune on YouTube.

With regards to hotels that you mentioned earlier the lass in the Hampton told me last night about how much shit they are in as a business. They've closed down the top 3 floors to save energy / servicing costs. They've laid off all but 2 of their housekeeping team, and they are expecting all of 15 people tonight on what should be the busiest night of the year.

I know a hotelier who told me that the only thing that will keep him ticking over the next six months is the non refundable deposits/payments he's taken for upcoming weddings.

He feel likes a shit but if he refunded the payments his business would go under, as would the staff he employs.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    rcs1000 said:
    Is it on Netflix, or cinema only?
  • Options

Mostly pretty separate.

Cargo comes tends to come in TEUs on container ships. People tend to come on planes.

When cargo comes by plane, it tends to come on airlines you've never heard of to airports you never use.
  • Options

For someone who takes such acute offence at supposedly bad taste comments (as deemed by you) you can certainly give it out a bit, Big G, joking about putting into isolation a senior female politician you don't agree with.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:
    Universal is doing a simultaneous cinema and streaming release.
  • Options

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

That's not implied by the article. It says they're angry about doctors who died recently. But this thing takes time to kill you, the fact that they died recently doesn't mean they got infected recently.
    That's reflected in the shape of the cases/deaths chart here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Of course, these are official statistics.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    What time is the Chancellor's presser today?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    Euro 2020 now Euro 2021.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

I blame Brexit for ruining the economy.

The number of unemployed people in the UK increased by 5,000 to 1.34 million in the three months to January compared to the same period last year.

It marks the first annual increase in unemployment since May to June 2012.

https://news.sky.com/story/gloomy-outlook-for-workers-as-unemployment-increases-11958839

Plus, this all kicked off just after we left the EU...

Don't let anyone tell you the two aren't related. :wink:
    If you are self isolating, you could always make tinfoil hats.... :D:D
    Cue run on tinfoil... :lol:
    Tinfoil hats boost certain signals.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110412061422/http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/
  • Options

I know a hotelier who told me that the only thing that will keep him ticking over the next six months is the non refundable deposits/payments he's taken for upcoming weddings.

He feel likes a shit but if he refunded the payments his business would go under, as would the staff he employs.
    Well it is non-refundable. What do the punters expect?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

geoffw said:

Chameleon said:
    This implies that the infected-but-symptom-free are ~ tenfold the number of infected-and-showing-symptoms, so we likely have hundreds of thousands of carriers in the UK who could now be passing it on, but will before long become immune and no danger to the rest. If so it supports the urgent need for the vulnerable to keep their distance from others, while fairly widespread immunity is being built up underneath the radar.
    *IF* this were to be confirmed (and it is far from that for now), preferably in other locales too, then 'herd immunity' might be back on the table.

Until then, it is not.
    That's right. There's a massive "if" here.

Because if half the 90% are merely pre-symptomatic. Then the death and ICU rate shoots up five times from my previous low numbers.
    And Korea, which has done a lot of localised testing, hasn't suggested anything like these numbers, so I would treat the report with caution for now.
    Re Korea: I think that's spot on.

Korea has a death rate of 0.7% for CV-19, and has the outbreak largely under control. This probably implies a 30-40% asymptomatic rate.

Now, unless there are large numbers of people in Korea who have the disease, but have not been picked up (which is possible, but unlikely), then it would seem to suggest the 90% asymptomatic number might actually be "70% pre-symptomatic, and 30% genuinely asymptomatic."
    The fact is, though, that we just don't know - and need to wait (in terms of relaxing policies) until we do.
    So far they have stopped next to zilch other than testing, what is there to relax
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@stodge
    Thanks - just read @stodge's post. No totally anti just sounding a note of caution if I read it right.

Suspect there's going to be a terrible backlash if Sunak doesn't announce something groundbreaking.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    edited March 2020
    If the govt is considering a bail out of certain industries only, they are nuts.

My cleaner (I know...) is shit scared because Most of her work is doing a bit of after-school nannying, and all her clients have cancelled.

PLEASE, HMG, take this seriously.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    I have ordered and now received (had before this all blew up) both The Testaments and The Mirror & the Light. I will bench press both, one in each hand, for 20 minutes and then get reading them.

Sorted.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,189
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Anecdata. I am getting calls from clients asking what they can do about employees who can't work from home but are too scared to come in. Tough advice to give but to me it does show people are now taking this very seriously which, in and of itself, is a good thing.

Personally, generally I love the area of law I have chosen (I advise employees and employers) but it can be utterly shit sometimes giving advice you know will have such a massive impact on people's livelihood.

Is your advice that they can be disciplined and ultimately fired?
    It can be. Depends on the circumstances. I'm a bit wary of giving blanket advice because the tribunal in an unfair dismissal claim has to consider whether the employer has acted within a "band or range of reasonable responses” to the particular misconduct found of the particular employee, based on the objective standards of the hypothetical reasonable employer, rather than by reference to the ET’s own subjective views. Conceptually it is an absolute nightmare (I find) to advise on. What would a "reasonable employer" do in these extraordinary times? So I have to look at what business my clients are in and do what I can.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:
    That`s a new one on me - how do I get the universal streaming release? On my PC only? I want to watch it on my telly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,761
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The Korean use of smartphones and apps for contact tracing and monitoring has, from the start, been.... smart.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/03/119_286335.html
    Korea is expanding its special screening at airports and ports to all overseas travelers starting from Thursday, in an effort to contain COVID-19 which is spreading in Korea and around the world, the government said Tuesday.

Currently, travelers, both Koreans and non-Koreans, arriving from China, Japan and all European countries are subject to special screening at entry points.

"Given that the new coronavirus pandemic is spreading all over the world and that more people coming from abroad show symptoms or are infected, Korea will expand a special screening procedure to all entrants," Kim Gang-lip, the vice health minister, said during a press conference held in Sejong, Tuesday.

Kim said six recent coronavirus cases involved people with records of traveling abroad. "We feel an increasing need for stricter border control."

According to the government, as of March 15, a total of 44 coronavirus patients had a record of traveling outside ― 16 visiting Europe, 14 China and 14 other Asian countries.

"A country like Peru completely sealed the country up which we consider too drastic for Korea. The best option for us would be screening all who arrive in Korea," Kim said.

The special screening consists of checking people's body temperature and filling out a personal health survey before leaving the airport or port. Also, people must share their local contact information ― phone number and address ― and download a smartphone application through which users have to report their daily health condition to the quarantine authorities.

The Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said Tuesday Korea reported 84 new cases of COVID-19 infection on Monday, putting the total number of cases at 8,320 with 81 fatalities. ...

The South Koreans really should be ruling the world, sensible and proportionate, efficient and consistent. They make good movies too.
    If you enjoyed Train to Busan, the Joseon (very roughly, the Korean equivalent to Tudor) zombie series 'Kingdom' is available on Netflix.
    I think I will be skipping zombie movies for a bit...
  • Options
    RobD said:

A full refund.

Plenty of the big chains are giving full refunds on non-refundable advanced purchase rooms.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@stodge
    One of the lessons from the global financial crisis is that concerns about moral hazard have less than zero relevance right now.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

If the govt is considering a bail out of certain industries only, they are nuts.

My cleaner (I know...) is shit scared because Most of her work is doing a bit of after-school nannying, and all her clients have cancelled.

PLEASE, HMG, take this seriously.

We paid our cleaners a month wages in advance not to come. Not sure whether we can do that for months on end...
  • Options

4pm I think - joint presser with BoJo and the Scientists (sounds like a dodgy 80s band)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,351
    edited March 2020
    TOPPING said:

For someone who takes such acute offence at supposedly bad taste comments (as deemed by you) you can certainly give it out a bit, Big G, joking about putting into isolation a senior female politician you don't agree with.
    She cannot contribute to the debate in a constructive manner and instead trys to score cheap political points.

However, I do accept I have never been on the same page as her

And gender does not come into this. I have never used gender in an argument
  • Options

4pm I think - joint presser with BoJo and the Scientists (sounds like a dodgy 80s band)
    BoJo and the Boffins, surely?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    The SNP just made Thornberry look like a proper knob in Parliament. They, the LibDems, and most of Labour (e.g. Ashworth and backbenchers) are doing a good job.
  • Options

Ha yes, thanks!
  • Options

The SNP just made Thornberry look like a proper knob in Parliament. They, the LibDems, and most of Labour (e.g. Ashworth and backbenchers) are doing a good job.

What happened?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,341

Tonight's welding evening class cancelled for the foreseeable future as the college is closed to students from 5pm onwards. I was making a bit of a bourach of my project so every cloud and all that.

You could offer to give your torch one last outing by sealing the college doors?
  • Options
    This 4pm press conf is critical.
    Specific measures are not necessary.
    We need to know that HMG are not going to nickel, dime and salami-slice this. We need assurance that the government will do everything necessary.
  • Options

Thanks - just read @stodge's post. No totally anti just sounding a note of caution if I read it right.

Suspect there's going to be a terrible backlash if Sunak doesn't announce something groundbreaking.

The "Owen Jones package" of 5 essentials will need to be implemented. We are going Socialist for a while. Wonder if the habit will stick once acquired?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Alistair said:

What happened?
    Her tone was, shall we say, less than constructive, and Alyn Smith gave her a kicking for it.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Alistair said:

Landlords have to make payments to banks, their tenants have to make payments to landlords, their employers have to make payments to tenants...

Why should everyone else get bailed out except for them?
  • Options

It was at 4.45 yesterday so maybe similar but not sure
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    From the Breeb
    'the UK government is advising British people against all non-essential travel worldwide.'
    Basically because restrictions are changing../.. usually being increased...... pretty well hourly.
  • Options

RobD said:

A full refund.

Plenty of the big chains are giving full refunds on non-refundable advanced purchase rooms.
    Accor are being a bit slow on that front: "Guests who booked a non-flexible rate with Accor prior to today and are scheduled to arrive prior to April 30, 2020, may modify their reservation for future travel through December 31, 2020 without penalty by contacting the hotel directly."

But that's not really to criticise them - they are in an awful position. I have a few nights booked with them on a no-refund basis in France in September. I booked on that basis and so would expect to take the loss if I cannot go.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

rcs1000 said:
    That`s a new one on me - how do I get the universal streaming release? On my PC only? I want to watch it on my telly.
    My guess is it will be on itunes and Amazon. If your TV has one of those, you're OK.
  • Options

We need to know that HMG are not going to nickel, dime and salami-slice this. We need assurance that the government will do everything necessary.

Yup: Macron-style "no company will be allowed to fail because of this" will do nicely.
  • Options

A bit like Macron's "No business will fail" message - clear and simple, the detail can follow.
  • Options
    Dems down to @1.9 to win.
    Act fast.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BoJo and the Boffins, surely?
    Much better. The word boffin had (worryingly) escaped me when I was typing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,351
    edited March 2020

From the Breeb
    'the UK government is advising British people against all non-essential travel worldwide.'
    Basically because restrictions are changing../.. usually being increased...... pretty well hourly.

For 30 days but expect it will be much longer
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,341

Alistair said:

Landlords have to make payments to banks, their tenants have to make payments to landlords, their employers have to make payments to tenants...

Because they don’t deserve it?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Alistair said:

Bit of a sweeping statement there methinks, you looking to get free rent
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888

Bit silly of them. Welding is going to be a highly in demand skill for the next few years.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Because they don’t deserve it?
    And if the employers will be getting money to give to the tenants to give to the landlord they won't actually need it.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:
    The detail that he's missing is that the change that prompted the sounding of the siren was when they realized that the thing that looked like a bomber, that everyone was pointing at and saying "that's a bomber", was a bomber.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

A bit like Macron's "No business will fail" message - clear and simple, the detail can follow.
    Has it ever occurred to you politicians lie ? Businesses in France will fail despite what Macron says.
  • Options
    Mrs P. has just gone to the garden centre for some compost. I asked her if it was an essential trip. Apparently it is. No compost = no vegetables = starvation.

I think she might be spinning that a bit tbh.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Here's something a bit constructive people can do - learn to make sauerkraut.
    Reasons.
    1. Amazingly nutritious and high in vitamin C - fermentation makes the nutrients more bioavailable
    2. Delicious
    3. Full of beneficial bacteria to look after your gut microbiome, which is part of a healthy immune system
    3. A natural form of preservation, will last and last, but be WAY healthier than tinned foods
    4. Panic buyers are avoiding fresh cabbages.

You'll need a Kilner jar or similar, salt (better quality the better), and potentially a small quantity of natural yoghurt to kick start the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwC7bTjLkQ

Had been thinking of doing something of that ilk for a while so thanks for the nudge.
    Cool! Check out all the videos/techniques to see which one suits you best. Main thing is making sure the veg is under the water so it 'anaerobically ferments' as opposed to just going off. I make mine with cabbage (sometimes red) and carrot (yum), Himalayan salt from Amazon, and I put a teaspoon of Yeo Valley through it before it goes in the jar to start the process off. You can't fail.
  • Options
    Britain's biggest outsourcers have been told by the government to prepare for a wave of COVID-19- triggered absenteeism among teams responsible for working on critical national infrastructure projects.

Sky News has obtained a memo sent from the Cabinet Office to private sector companies with major government contracts in areas ranging from prisoner escorting to armed forces recruitment.

In it, officials told outsourcers to disclose their readiness for an average of 21% of their workforces to be away from work during a projected 16-week outbreak of the infection.

https://news.sky.com/story/outsourcers-told-to-prepare-for-covid-19-absenteeism-11958932
  • Options

At 350 billion euro for 3 months
  • Options

Has it ever occurred to you politicians lie ? Businesses in France will fail despite what Macron says.
    Of course. But how does Boris's wiffle-waffle help confidence?
This discussion has been closed.